PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Giantsfan1080
07-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree with that. It is going to be a very different feel 2 years from now. That's what makes the last two years so frustrating because we all know this team has the talent to win more SB's but we keep coming up short of even making it to the playoffs. Player for player you'll be hard pressed to find a roster as talented and as deep as ours.

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
It makes you appreciate our championship even more. It takes a lot to win a championship, everything has to fall in place perfectly. You need talent, health, good coaching, a good mix of youth and veterans, and some balls to bounce your way.

Honestly, I feel like this is our best roster since 08, we were too green before after losing Strahan, but our team has matured enough since then. If we can stay healthy, I like our chances.

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I really hope I didn't jinx it.

Forget what I said. We suck. Our oline is so old they get excited staring out the window, our RBs are thin and fumble, we run Tampa 2, and when it doubt, you can always depend on Kevin Gilbride to have a couple of WTF moments during a game that will cost us a W.

There.

Giantsfan1080
07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Health has been the main factor in us winning. If our roster could ever actually stay together I'd have a lot less anxiety. I know it's football and players obviously get hurt but boy we get killed every year in at one position where there is nothing you can even do about it.

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I've long held the belief that we need a new strength and conditioning coach. Way too many strains and tears on our team. I think we're not stretching enough.

It's an educated guess, but it can't be a coincidence.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Garafolo is reporting that the Giants are interested in Poz. I am disappoint.

I really hope we don't, he's spoiled goods and he doesn't solve anything. All he does is prevent us from going after linebackers in the upcoming draft.

I dunno about this one guys.

Damix
07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm with you BBD, I have no interest in Poz.

Giantsfan1080
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
We'll see. Garafolo is the best but maybe he's getting some bad info here.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Garafolo is money though. I can't remember when he's been wrong about this kind of stuff.

Giantsfan1080
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
BBD, is Garo reporting this on Twitter? I don't see anything by him on nj.com.

Damix
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Reading the article on his blog it more says Poz is interested in playing for us, rather then our interest in him. Is there another reference somewhere?

LTgiants
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
No Poz. I don't want that bum on my team.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Sorry guys, it was a tweet from Garafolo that linked me to an article written by Zach Berman of the Star Ledger. So it's not really Garafolo reporting it. I should've read the author of the link, my bad.

Yeah, it sounds like Poz is interested, but we've heard for awhile now the rumors that we might look at him. Him publicly acknowledging interest in us just adds to the smoke.

Giantsfan1080
07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah I don't think Reese is really going to be interested. There's the Fewell connection but besides that not much else to go on besides Poz saying he'd be interested in us. What LB wouldn't be though with the DL and DB's we have.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I hope we stay away. Our priority needs to be our own guys. I'd like us to keep as many of them as possible. Coffield is a goner, but everyone else needs to stay.

I'm disappointed that we were unable to move Coffield for a draft pick when we had the chance. Now we basically lost him for nothing.

Giantsfan1080
07-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Well he had a great year for us last year and we got the best sack dance ever so I'm fine with it. He wants to stay also so maybe we can get him back somehow even though I don't expect it.

LTgiants
07-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Ya the Cofield dance see the sig. If we can keep him we should if it is not to expensive.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I want him back but only for the right price. I doubt it though, he's made it very clear he wants a big pay day, and I doubt we can give it to him. I doubt we want to give it to him, it doesn't seem like management feels he's worth that kind of contract, and I agree with them.

Forenci
07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Bah, I've never been a Poz fan so hopefully it's just rumor.

bigbluedefense
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
To be fair to Poz, he isn't a bad player. He just doesn't solve anything for us. And he has very questionable health. It's just not a good fit.

I've always felt, if we're going to replace Goff, we need to do so with an athlete. Otherwise, there's no point.

Forenci
07-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I just hate Penn State linebackers, haha. Seems like they're super hyped in college and amount to nothing in the pros.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree completely. I hate Penn State LBs as well. So overrated.

I think Penn State players in general are overrated. I don't like how they translate to the NFL. Most wind up being mediocre.

Forenci
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Seems like it. I'm trying to think of the last really good Penn State player and no one is immediately coming to mind.

Jughead10
07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Seems like it. I'm trying to think of the last really good Penn State player and no one is immediately coming to mind.

Wake. And we let him go.

Forenci
07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Wake. And we let him go.

Haha, that's true. Forgot that he went to Penn State. Heck, it even took him a go in the CFL before he got a chance, and he's not exactly a complete player as I recall.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Wake and Larry Johnson.

I give us a pass on cutting Wake though. We weren't the only ones. The guy probably turned his career around once he got to the CFL.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh and Tamba Hali. He's a stud. I'll give it to Penn State for that one.

But still the point remains, in general, most of their round 1/2 prospects wind up being mediocre nfl players.

Jughead10
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Levi Brown. How's he doing? I don't think he's lived up to the really high draft status but he's solid.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
He's a solid RT. I'd call him a disappointment. You don't draft a guy #5 overall to be just a solid RT. He's not even a dominant one, just an ok RT.

Jughead10
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
He's a solid RT. I'd call him a disappointment. You don't draft a guy #5 overall to be just a solid RT. He's not even a dominant one, just an ok RT.

It was dumb draft pick all around. I blame the team more for taking a RT that high. If I remember more teams had him in that 12-15 range.

Giantsfan1080
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Penn State in general has badly produced NFL players. It's a suprise though with how well they recruit.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
It was dumb draft pick all around. I blame the team more for taking a RT that high. If I remember more teams had him in that 12-15 range.

Yeah that's true. I'd consider him a disappointment even in that range though. When you take a RT in the first round, he should be at least an upper tier RT.

He's merely an average RT.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Speaking of RTs, the RT from Atlanta is a FA, and supposedly he's most likely too expensive to resign.

I wonder if the Giants would consider signing him. I would say no, I rather go with what we have, either move Diehl to RT or hope Brewer develops into a RT.

But you never know what happens.

Giantsfan1080
07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I think our line is going to be suprisingly fine this year. The only position I'm worried about is C but if Koets is healthy then we should have no problems.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I believe in our young guys except for Beatty. I'm just nervous about Beatty.

This is a make or break year for him.

Brewer will be redshirted too, so if Beatty is a dud, we're in trouble at OT, unless we can squeeze another year out of McKenzie. I'm not sure if we can though, I think McKenzie is done.

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Randy Moss is in freakish athletic shape guys.

You hear that sound? Sounds like rain droplets? That's my drool hitting the floor.

Jughead10
07-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Randy Moss is in freakish athletic shape guys.

You hear that sound? Sounds like rain droplets? That's my drool hitting the floor.

Just drool?

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Just drool?

The drool is about to get some company in a minute.

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Picture a motivated, hungry Moss on the Giants?

Imagine a 3 WR set of Moss, Nicks, and Smith with Bradshaw in the backfield?

Do it Reese!

Forenci
07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Haha, I know you like him but we really don't need him at all. I'm much happier with the group of WR's we have already. There just isn't room.

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
There's always room for deep balls.

Yes. I went there.

Forenci
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Of course, but honestly we don't really stretch the field that much anyways. Even when we have somebody who can do it, I just don't think Gilbride cares for it. He'd much rather run all his choice routes and have players find holes in the defense than just burn over the top of them, ala San Diego.

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
That's why Moss is perfect. Moss ran choice routes in NE, they run the same system.

Moss is one of the smartest WRs in the league at recognizing defenses and adjusting his route to it. Brady said so himself. He's actually perfect for our system.

We don't throw deep much bc quite frankly, we don't have a deep threat like Moss. Eli loves to throw deep, he just doesn't have that guy on the team that can consistently go deep.

Technically we do in Mario, but he's too dumb to run the right routes all the time, so there may be a trust issue with him and Eli.

Btw, the reason why the system works so much better for NE is bc they draft players who are specific for the system. You must have smart players to run that system.

Welker is smart. Smith is smart, that's why he thrives for us. But Mario...not so much. Hakeem also made his fair share of mistakes bc the offense is so complex.

In this system, it's more about intelligence than athleticism. That's why Moss is so dominant in the system, he has both.

Forenci
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Meh, I'm just not interested in him that much. We have a ton of talent at WR as it is. Let's stick with the young guys. Personally I think Moss is on the tail end of his career anyways. Not saying he won't be productive but I think the days of his absurd numbers and success are gone.

bigbluedefense
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I know we won't get him. It would be a very uncharacteristic move by the Giants if we did.

I just know I'm going to be frustrated when he tears it up this year on a different team. I hope it's not the Eagles. Don't forget, the Eagles were hot for Moss before he signed his extension with the Pats.

I could see the Eagles getting Moss and Reggie Bush and having the fastest offense in NFL history. If they got those 2 guys, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Both would be relatively cheap too.

Big_Pete
07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I know we won't get him. It would be a very uncharacteristic move by the Giants if we did.

I just know I'm going to be frustrated when he tears it up this year on a different team. I hope it's not the Eagles. Don't forget, the Eagles were hot for Moss before he signed his extension with the Pats.

I could see the Eagles getting Moss and Reggie Bush and having the fastest offense in NFL history. If they got those 2 guys, their offense would be impossible to stop.

Both would be relatively cheap too.

We don't need a veteran WR.

We have Nicks, Smith and Manningham are well established, plus Barden is showing a lot of potential and we drafted Jernigan who has a very intriging skill set. And that is without considering guys like Thomas, Hixon, Cruz, Calhoun, Clayton and Hagan.

NYG has probably the best young WR group in the NFL and they are just going to get better.

Signing a guy like Moss makes no sense, he will limit the opportunites for our young WRs and cost money that would be better in invested in other positions, eg LB.

bigbluedefense
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm telling you guys, Moss is going to be a monster this year. I can feel it.

Anyway, I know we won't get him :( I just hope he doesn't go to Philly.

I wonder if we can nab Ryan Kalil in FA. That would be huge if we can resign our own guys plus get Kalil.

Giantsfan1080
07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Moss is the worst fit for this team. I'm a huge huge Moss fan and even I can admit it.

Kalil would be awesome.

bigbluedefense
07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I always wanted Moss in a Giants uniform. I know I'm being dumb, but my boyhood crush on Moss is blinding me right now.

Anyway, it sounds like the CBA is about to be reached very soon, which means FA is around the corner.

Now football gets interesting again. Let's see what we do. Outside of signing our own guys, the only FAs I really want besides mid level depth guys are Moss (duh) and Kalil.

Realistically we get neither. Moss is a pipedream of mine, and Kalil will resign with Carolina.

If we're unable to resign Coffield, a guy I have my eye on as a mid level guy is Fred Evans. If he can come cheap, he'd be a nice rotation guy.

There's no chance we resign Coffield. Denver, Washington, NO, and im sure several other teams are going to offer him a lot more than we will.

I want us to cut Rocky Bernard too. Marcus Spears is another guy I wouldn't mind. He'd be cheap as dirt, plus he's actually a very good 4-3 NT. Terrible 3-4 DE but a great fit at 4-3 NT.

He could be one of those bargain basement guys.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
If the Eagles let go of Stewart Bradley, what do you guys think? Go for it?

I personally LOVE Stewart Bradley and think he's a stud. The only issues I have with him are:

1. Injury history. Big concern.
2. I can't ever recall the Eagles letting someone go and seeing them thrive elsewhere. When the Eagles let you walk, chances are you're done. So I'm opposed to grabbing former Eagles about 99% of the time. But this might be the 1% where I think about it.

But maaan, if they let him walk and he can become the Stewart Bradley of old, we'd have our MIKE of the future in him. He's everything I want in a MIKE (when healthy).

The only potential FA LB I'd consider.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I like Bradley a ton but the injuries are a major concern as you said. I think the Eagles will keep him.

After we re-sign some of our own guys I don't think we're going to have much roster room either.

Rosebud
07-19-2011, 11:06 AM
If the Eagles let go of Stewart Bradley, what do you guys think? Go for it?

I personally LOVE Stewart Bradley and think he's a stud. The only issues I have with him are:

1. Injury history. Big concern.
2. I can't ever recall the Eagles letting someone go and seeing them thrive elsewhere. When the Eagles let you walk, chances are you're done. So I'm opposed to grabbing former Eagles about 99% of the time. But this might be the 1% where I think about it.

But maaan, if they let him walk and he can become the Stewart Bradley of old, we'd have our MIKE of the future in him. He's everything I want in a MIKE (when healthy).

The only potential FA LB I'd consider.

With his injuries I'd rather see us make a move on Manny Lawson if we're going for an FA LB. Lawson would be a sweet fit opposite Boley as both of them can run and cover extremely well and can get after the QB fast if they're freed up on a blitz.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Realistically, I want us to sign back all our own guys, and use the rest of the money under the cap (if we have any) to sign some mid level guys for depth purposes.

I think we're going to need to sign a couple of FA DTs for depth, and perhaps a FA C just in case.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM
With his injuries I'd rather see us make a move on Manny Lawson if we're going for an FA LB. Lawson would be a sweet fit opposite Boley as both of them can run and cover extremely well and can get after the QB fast if they're freed up on a blitz.

On paper it makes sense. But one thing that's overlooked is anytime you take the MIKE off the field, you take away the guy who lines everyone up and makes adjustments and audibles prior to the snap.

Sure, Boley does that in the nickel, but he's not exactly Antonio Pierce.

That's why I think having a 3 down MIKE is what we truly need. Bradley can cover too now, he's no chop liver. He's no Manny Lawson in coverage, but he can cover.

But realistically we're just going to go with what we have in house.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Say we re-sign everyone how many open roster spots would we have? It can't be many at all. My guess is maybe 1 or 2.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
There's always room for cuts.

I think we could let Rocky walk, ditto for Hixon, Hagan, Coffield will leave in FA, Wilkinson is a goner, we can cut a backup LB, Tollefson, a CB, Grant.

That's 8 guys right there. Not all of our rookies will make the team. Let's say we keep 6 rookies on the active roster.

That's 2 free spots for FAs. We can cut some fat off the edges and make room for 2 FAs if we want to go that route.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Devin Thomas and Mark Clayton are both probably goners too. That frees up 2 more spots.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Actually scratch that, I think Thomas stays on the roster bc he was great at STs. One of our WRs who we like but sucks at STs will be gone.

At least 1. I'm guessing Hixon, Hagan, and maaaaybe Cruz (i really hope not) might get the axe.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
QB - Eli, Sorgi or Rosenfels
RB - Jacobs, Bradshaw, Scott, Bear(FB)
WR - Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Barden, Jernigan, Cruz, Thomas
TE - Boss, Beckum
OT - Andrews, Beatty, Diehl, McKenzie, Brewer
OG - Snee, Seubert, Petrus, Boothe
OC - O'Hara, Koets

DT - Canty, Joseph, Austin
DE - Tuck, Osi, JPP, Kiwi, Tolly
LB - Boley, Goff, Sintim, Blackburn, DeOssie, Dillard, Jones
CB - Webster, Thomas, Ross, Prince
S - Rolle, Phillips, Sash

P - Dodge
K - Tynes

That's 50 spots if we re-sign everyone but Cofield and I think all of the above almost have a guaranteed spot. You could cut Thomas and Dillard but our ST's would be all bigger names.

Damix
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd say Andrews goes, might bring him back for cheaper. Might need to add S/CB and DT depth

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd say Andrews goes, might bring him back for cheaper. Might need to add S/CB and DT depth

He has a $3.5 million bonus this year but besides that he's pretty cheap. Since he has no signing bonus (Only $250K) his cap hit isn't large.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I think Tolly is a goner. He had a nice run, but his time is up. I think Jones and Dillard will have to compete for a spot.

Don't count out Tracy. He looked good before going on IR.

I'm worried about Sash being our only backup safety. If KP goes down, we might have another bad Safety situation again. There's no guarantee that KP stays healthy, we still don't know that for sure.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I think Tolly is a goner. He had a nice run, but his time is up. I think Jones and Dillard will have to compete for a spot.

Don't count out Tracy. He looked good before going on IR.

I'm worried about Sash being our only backup safety. If KP goes down, we might have another bad Safety situation again. There's no guarantee that KP stays healthy, we still don't know that for sure.

Ok so even using that it's still only 3 open spots. I didn't even put Ware on the team but I guess it will come down to him versus Scott. We have such high end depth that there is little room elsewhere. Please let us stay relatively healthy this year football gods!!

Damix
07-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Really not sure if Osi will be on this team this year either.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
2012 maybe not but I think he'll be fine this year. It really will depend on which of our own FA's leave as to whom we sign.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
3 spots eh?

Randy Moss
Randy Moss
Randy Moss

Roster filled. *****. Ejaculated.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Osi has no chips to play with. He's under contract for 2 more years. He'll throw a fit, he'll hold out, we'll tell him to man up, and he'll eventually cave in and come back.

Jughead10
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Osi has no chips to play with. He's under contract for 2 more years. He'll throw a fit, he'll hold out, we'll tell him to man up, and he'll eventually cave in and come back.

What's his contract for this upcoming year? Not sure what the number is, but I'd love to see who would pony up more than that number for him over a long term deal.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
What's his contract for this upcoming year? Not sure what the number is, but I'd love to see who would pony up more than that number for him over a long term deal.

I don't know specific numbers. I don't think he's making much though. Honestly, he's probably getting screwed financially.

If I'm the Giants, I'd do what the Eagles did with McNabb if all else fails. Don't extend the contract, just add some more money to it, guarantee more money, and keep him happy for 2 more years.

I think that's the best compromise for both sides.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
When he signed the deal it was $41 million with a $15 million bonus through 2012. He's not making much at all.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
He wants top 5 pass rusher money though. Sorry Osi, I love ya, but you don't deserve that.

What I'd do is say, whatever Charles Johnson makes in FA, we'll restructure your contract to give you the same amount over the next 2 years, plus we'll guarantee a higher percentage. No extension though, just more money over the next 2 years and we reevaluate your value on the market when your contract is up.

Take it or leave it. If you turn it down, we will not trade you, we won't cut you, you'll be under contract and buried in the depth chart if you pull any fits.

Jughead10
07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Everything I can locate on the contract, said we heavily front loaded it. Osi needs to deal with it. We could have backloaded the contract and cut him before he got paid. Isntead we paid him more in the first three years so now he has to deal with lower salary. I have zero sympathy for him. If it was anyone but an Eagle trashing Osi I would have agreed with them. He is such a b**ch

Forenci
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Meh, I love Osi but I sure as hell would be afraid to extend his deal. You just don't know with him. It could be an injury. It could he's unable to stop the run.

Who knows? I think he'll just have to deal with it, unfortunately.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Osi's problem is he's immature. He needs that "big brother" figure to keep him in check. Strahan was great at being the older brother, but since he's left, Osi has no one to take over that role.

And stop the run Osi. That's why Lady Gaga called you soft. Try a bullrush once in awhile.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Ehh he used to stop the rush but it's not what we ask him to do anymore Also who cares if he bullrushes? I'd rather take his quick move with a strip sack everyday of the week. This will be his last year as a Giant for sure I think but he had a great tenure. He complains to much but for the most part he's backed it up on the field.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
And all of our DEs are versatile except Osi. Tuck can play multiple positions, Kiwi can, hell we even made JPP play all over the place.

Why does Osi get such special treatment? He's been at RE and running around guys his whole career. He needs to understand he's in no position to make demands.

That's why I think the best way to solve this is offer more money over the next 2 years, that will shut him up, and also protect the team in case he's a dud.

Forenci
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Btw, loving the sudden surge of Giants talk, haha. Can't wait for the season!

Although, I'm moving to South Carolina for grad school so I'm probably going to cry myself to sleep every night when I can't get the Giants games.

Jughead10
07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm sure the Colts would love to have Osi.

Giantsfan1080

Although, I'm moving to South Carolina for grad school so I'm probably going to cry myself to sleep every night when I can't get the Giants games.

It's certainly that time of the year with the Mets fading quickly haha. My attention starts turning quickly.

Jughead10

Go to a bar.

Giantsfan1080
I'm sure the Colts would love to have Osi.

Clayton was reporting today that the Seahawks are interested. I don't think we can afford to lose him though.

Damix
07-19-2011, 01:02 PM

It is a horrible feeling. Need to get my slingbox fixed in time.

Jughead10
07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Clayton was reporting today that the Seahawks are interested. I don't think we can afford to lose him though.

Well if they gave a 3rd for Whitehurst, we should be able to get a 2nd for Osi. I'd do it.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Well if they gave a 3rd for Whitehurst, we should be able to get a 2nd for Osi. I'd do it.

I don't know. Going into the year with Tuck, JPP, Kiwi, and Tolly is not something I'd feel comfortable with.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Ehh he used to stop the rush but it's not what we ask him to do anymore Also who cares if he bullrushes? I'd rather take his quick move with a strip sack everyday of the week. This will be his last year as a Giant for sure I think but he had a great tenure. He complains to much but for the most part he's backed it up on the field.

Honestly, if Kiwi can stay healthy, I think he can be a better DE than Osi. He's light years better vs the run, and I think he's finally developed his body to play DE and rush the passer consistently.

Of course, our luck, he happens to also have injury issues that scares us from extending him.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Congrats bro. Education always comes first.

Just get a slingbox for your dad's house or whoever always watches the games. That way you can watch it whereever you are.

If you have a droid phone, theres a slingbox app that you can get so you can even watch games on your phone.

Slingbox is a life saver.

Forenci
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I still am concerned about Kiwi's pass rushing ability. I just feel like we didn't get to see enough of him last to year to know for certain how he'd hold up over the course of a year.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Kiwi is hurt more than Osi. For a team needing health it's not a good idea to go in there relying on a player coming a major injury.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
My issue with Kiwi's pass rush ability has always been his lack of strength. He had the length, he had the speed, but his inability to bull rush or use his strength to fight off the hands of a LT prevented him from being an effective pass rusher.

But he's gained significant strength and corrected that problem. Go back and watch his PS game vs the Steelers. He comes in on a bullrush and absolutely drills the Tackle into Ben.

Watch his sacks during the season. He can get into guys now. And he's gotten even bigger this year.

I think Kiwi is going to be a beast if he can stay healthy. That neck scares the crap out of me though. But if he can stay healthy, I'm telling you, I expect big things from him.

He's hungry too.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I still want to keep Osi though. I just think we take a big hit this year if we lose him bc JPP isn't ready, and Kiwi is a question mark.

Damix
07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Free agent S Quintin Mikell believes new Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo will move from an aggressive blitz-heavy scheme to more of a Cover-2.

How do you feel about that BBD

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
How do you feel about that BBD

I just read that and was about to post it haha. I love it. Can't wait.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Realistically, expect them to run the same defense Tennessee ran. More of a man Cover 2 defense with occasional blitzes from DBs, rarely did Tennesee blitz their LBs, they almost always occupy a zone in the middle of the field to take away the intermediate middle.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I literally just read that also and was coming to post it here. Eli and our WR corps can rip a Cover 2. Then again the problem last year for us wasn't really an offensive thing.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I think we did have offensive issues. Our WRs rarely recognized the hot and adjusted accordingly and we had a ton of miscommunication on routes that led to turnovers.

That's a Gilbride problem though. Unfortunately that won't go away. But with less blitzes and more basic coverages, I'm hoping our WR core won't screw up as much in their route adjustments.

Giantsfan1080
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Well we have offensive issues but our problem against the Eagles this year was not the offense. We had 4th quarter leads in both games and put up 31 in the second game. I think we've gone over the Gilbride offense enough here and now it just nauseates me.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I think it's an overall team problem vs them. Offense, defense, special teams.

How many times has DeSean Jackson returned a punt vs us? When was the last time we had a kick off or punt return on them?

How many times did we just need 1 or 2 first downs at a critical time in the 4th quarter to put them out and not convert?

How many times did we give up scores to them to bring them back in the game?

It's an entire team issue vs them. I don't think it's just 1 unit. We just have to get out of this funk and beat them once for confidence bc right now I think the team just lacks the killer instinct they need to put the Eagles away.

Rosebud
07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
On paper it makes sense. But one thing that's overlooked is anytime you take the MIKE off the field, you take away the guy who lines everyone up and makes adjustments and audibles prior to the snap.

Sure, Boley does that in the nickel, but he's not exactly Antonio Pierce.

That's why I think having a 3 down MIKE is what we truly need. Bradley can cover too now, he's no chop liver. He's no Manny Lawson in coverage, but he can cover.

But realistically we're just going to go with what we have in house.

I do think that between Boley and one of our safeties we could fill that issue. I think KP's got the intelligence to do a great job if asked, Rolle could do it and Boley isn't ******** so should improve the more he's asked.

Rosebud
07-19-2011, 06:21 PM

I live in Chicago, the only time I got to watch giants games on tv was when they were on prime time or the two years I spent in Buffalo. It sucks quality wise but you get used to watching games online pretty quick.

Forenci
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I live in Chicago, the only time I got to watch giants games on tv was when they were on prime time or the two years I spent in Buffalo. It sucks quality wise but you get used to watching games online pretty quick.

Haha, I'm used to watching games online. I watched the vast majority of Knicks games online as for whatever reason they're blacked out where I live in Connecticut. As long as I can watch them somewhere I'll be happy.

I will be looking into a sling box though. It seems like it doesn't work as well if you don't have a wired internet connection plugged directly into the box, but I'm hoping to find a loop hole for it.

OSUGiants17
07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/7/13/2272104/potential-giants-free-agent-target-rocky-mcintosh-olb-washington

would love to have him across from Boley

Damix
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Has anyone seen a projection on where we will be above/below the cap?

Malaka
07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I saw one on Bleacher Report where we are under by 7 Mill.

I'll go look for the link. I don't know how reliable that article would be though.

EDIT:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/761672-nfl-free-agency-the-cap-status-of-all-32-nfl-teams-and-potential-free-agents/page/22

LTgiants
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
I read somewhere on BBI that it was 11 over

OSUGiants17
07-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Why is Keith Bullock still mentioned as a key free agent for us and a key potential loss? We knew he was just a 1 year stop gap from day 1. He wasn't that good either so why is it such a big deal

Big_Pete
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
My current preferred trade option for Osi is this

DE Osi Umenyiora for LB David Hawthorne (Seahawks) and a 2012 3rd round pick

Hawthorne signed on a 1 year deal and the Seahawks have plenty of talent at LB with Curry, Hill and Tatupu (plus drafted KJ Wright). Hawthorne has started two seasons 2009 at MLB (11 games) and 2010 at WLB (16 games) when Tatupu and Hill got hurt, passing 100 tackles in both seasons (223 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 ints, 5 FF and 2 FR) .

Hawthorne would be cheap with his one year 900k deal and weekly 50k roster bonuses, but we could equally sign him to an extension.

Hawthorne is the playmaker we badly need at WLB and which Boley frankly wasn't last year. Hawthorne would slide in at WLB with Boley flipping to SLB. With a better supporting cast at LB, Boley's play could be much improved. Also Sintim would compete with Boley, particularly on early downs.

trading Osi would save us somewhere around $3m (which could be used for Hawthorne's extension

--------------------------------------------------

I would still bring in a stud MLB with Tulloch on the top of my list as my one big signing.

Here is how I would ideally like to see our LB depth shape up something like:

SLB - Michael Boley, Clint Sintim/Adrian Tracy

MLB - Stephen Tulloch, Jon Goff, Greg Jones/Phillip Dillard

WLB - David Hawthorne, Jacquain Williams

--------------------------------------------------

As far as paying for this (and other moves), this is what I would do

cut Andrews (saving $7.3m), Bernard (saving $1.7m)

Contracts Reworked (wth 2011 salaries)

Corey Webster (8.0m), Eli Manning (8.5m), Brandon Jacobs (4.65m), Chris Canty (5.25m), Michael Boley (3.5m), Shaun O'Hara (3.45m), Sage Rosenfels (3.0m)

give McKenzie a one year extension, turning much of his 4.3m salary into bonuses

put the veteran $3mil exemption on Jacobs contract.

remember it is expected there will be a very big increase in the cap in 2013 due to increased revenue.

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Cutting Andrews will save us 7.3 million this year, so he's pretty much a goner.

Unless we resign him for a smaller contract. But regardless, I'd be shocked if we didn't cut him.

That may free up another roster spot.

Damix
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
While I'd like to see Andrews back at a cheaper salary, I think FO might deem a roster spot wasted on someone who's back is just so unpredicatable.

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 09:00 AM
When he's healthy he's a beast, but let's face it, the guy is toast. Backs just don't magically heal on their own with time when they're as messed up as his is.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong (in a giants uniform of course), but i'm not holding my breathe.

Damix
07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
O'Hara might be a cap casualty as well and Seubert may start the year on P.U.P.

Also PFT saying there may not be as many cap casulties as we expect. It's all very confusing :)

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I think cutting O'Hara is probably a wise decision for our team. Bc if he's back, he'll start, and I don't want him anywhere near the starting lineup.

Cutting him gives Koets a clear path to the starting lineup, and hopefully he's healthy enough to take advantage of it.

Damix
07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
We should be pretty active in FA on the OL then. At least for depth purposes.

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Well if you think about it, depth wise, drafting Brewer washes the cutting of Andrews in terms of #s.

Now cutting O'Hara would free up a spot for a backup C. Which I'm in favor of, I'd like an insurance policy to Koets in case he hasn't recovered from his ACL.

OSUGiants17
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I would love to give the following guys a shot once camps open up:
Zack Pianalto, TE
Garrett Chisolm, OT
Kris O’Dowd, C
Jake Kirkpatrick, C
Mark Herzlich, LB
Kenny Rowe, LB
Alex Wujcak, LB
Nick Bellore, LB
Joe Lefeged, S
Jeron Johnson, S

Chisolm is a solid T, O'Dowd or Kirkpatrick would push Koets and be a nice fall back if he doesn't pan out. Herzy would be a great defensive leader at LB if he heals up. Lefeged would be great for our multi safety Defensive looks.

Damix
07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I see no reason why we shouldn't look at O'Dowd or Kirkpatrick, Coughlin is on record saying we have a need at center.

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Woah! O'Dowd went undrafted? Why?

I would love to grab him. It almost makes me angry that we didn't spend a 7th on the guy just to make sure we have his rights.

OSUGiants17
07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I would be shocked if we didn't bring in O'Dowd, Kirkpatrick and Herzy

bigbluedefense
07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Why did O'Dowd go undrafted? Did he have some kind of injury?

Malaka
07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Why did O'Dowd go undrafted? Did he have some kind of injury?

He has long history of injuries, especially regarding his knees. I guess teams just don't think he'll hold up to the brutality of the NFL game. It's a shame because when healthy I thought he was nearly as good as Alex Mack who went in the 1st.

OSUGiants17
07-21-2011, 05:19 PM
He was a top 2 round talent, but the injuries scared teams off. Kirkpatrick on the other hand was a 3-5th rounder IMO no clue how no one took him either did he have an injury history too?

scottyboy
07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
we need to bring in lefeged. end of story
:)

BaLLiN
07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I just decided to make a 53 man roster for the hell of it

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6290/shome1311298191234.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/shome1311298191234.png/)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8551/shome1311298210581.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/shome1311298210581.png/)

Id really like to get Manny Lawson, but at the same time, we need to give Sintim a legitimate chance unless with a trade of Osi we'd bring Sintim to DE where he'd most likely be a better fit in 4-3.

Rosebud
07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
He was a top 2 round talent, but the injuries scared teams off. Kirkpatrick on the other hand was a 3-5th rounder IMO no clue how no one took him either did he have an injury history too?

Which is weird because I thought his knees weren't supposed to be much worse than Bowers', and while he doesn't have the dominant potential of Bowers O'Dowd could be a well above average starting C in the NFL if those knees can hold up for a little while.

bigbluedefense
07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
It can't hurt to bring him into camp.

I'm also on board with bringing Lefeged to camp too.

Bring both Centers and Lefeged. Shoot, Herzy too. Why not.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-23-2011, 10:48 AM
It can't hurt to bring him into camp.

I'm also on board with bringing Lefeged to camp too.

Bring both Centers and Lefeged. Shoot, Herzy too. Why not.

Actually, listening to the NFL network guys and such, it actually can hurt. Now with limits to practices and what you can do, that means less time on the field. So now, your 1st two units and rookies will be getting more reps than prior years, which was hard to begin with. So bringing in more people is a waste because you can't get a good look at them, because of the limited amount of time.

Accordingly to what I heard yesterday, some late round rookies may get cut just because teams may not have time to actually sit and develop them or even watch them because now they will be too busy implementing new stuff to the 1st/2nd and rookie units/players. So now, bringing in more players is a waste, from the standpoint that you may not have time to even get a good look at them because coaches will be too busy rushing to coach up other players.

That basically means, players who can step on the field from day 1 or more pro ready, can be signed and developed rather than the very good potential guy who needs couple years.

Mind you, this is from what I heard all day yesterday which Mike mayock brought up which makes sense. Bringing in more players, when reps are so limited would be a waste.

Jughead10
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
You still need to fill out a practice squad. Even if they don't get reps at all during training camp this year, those practice squad guys get reps during the week inseason. And then we'd have first refusal at them next season.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
You still need to fill out a practice squad. Even if they don't get reps at all during training camp this year, those practice squad guys get reps during the week inseason. And then we'd have first refusal at them next season.

Yes, but still doesn't make sense to just bring anyone in. You need a PS, however during the season those guys are playing scout team, and thus running other team's offenses or defenses, not yours. My point is bringing in anyone makes no sense. Coaches will have a hard enough time developing and coaching up core players.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
If Dawkins is a cap casualty of the Broncos, I'd LOVE for us to bring him in as our 3rd safety.

He'll bring in the type of leadership we need. And he's basically a linebacker nowadays anyway, so he'd fit the 3rd safety role.

I doubt he'd ever sign with us, bc he's too loyal to Philly to ever do that, but it would be worth a shot to see if he'd come aboard. He wouldn't be expensive either.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
No thanks. He's a scumbag and I don't want him near our players.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Brian Dawkins?

Why is he a scum bag?

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Brian Dawkins?

Why is he a scum bag?

By far one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. I'll never forgive him for that late late late hit on Hilliard.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
By far one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. I'll never forgive him for that late late late hit on Hilliard.

To be honest, we need more physicality on defense, I feel we're too finesse on defense, we need a mean streak. In 07 and 08, our defense was much more physical. Our team in general, even our offense has gotten more finesse, the oline in particular.

And if you want to be a physical team, you need some dirty guys. I'm not saying we need to be the Titans, but you need a couple of grimey guys to set the tone.

We need better tackling in general, and nastier linebackers. I think that's the main issue with our defense in terms of toughness.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't know I just think we need to stay healthy and the rest will take care of itself. The leadership/toughness thing has been way overblown I feel like.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Our defense folds when things start going bad. While I agree that leadership is generally overrated, we do lack that guy that will get us to refocus when the damn looks like it's about to break.

Strahan and Pierce used to be that guy. Instead, now our quiet leaders just sit and watch the damn break.

When things are going great, our defense is great. But we need that guy to get everyone's spirits up and refocused when they start playing like crap.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
The defense collapsed under Strahan multiple times also. Let's not forget the Minny and SF games in the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 10:27 AM
That's true.

Can we sign Spagnuolo in FA? :(

God I miss him.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 10:30 AM
That's true.

Can we sign Spagnuolo in FA? :(

God I miss him.

Bingo. That's the problem right now we just don't have anyone as good as Spags. I miss him also. I wonder if Coughlin retires if he would leave the Rams to come back. I highly doubt that though.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Bingo. That's the problem right now we just don't have anyone as good as Spags. I miss him also. I wonder if Coughlin retires if he would leave the Rams to come back. I highly doubt that though.

Doubt it. He's got a good thing going on in St. Louis. He's got a franchise qb, a great oline, he's got a promising young duo of DEs in Long and Quinn, a promising young MIKE in Laurinitis, he's going to do good things over there in time.

We just need to find another guy like him. They are just so hard to find though. Especially for a 4-3 defense. Most blitzing coordinators run a 34 now.

I want our next head coach to be a defensive guy so we have some continuity on defense. Hand Eli the keys on offense, bring consistency on defense, and we'll be better for it as long as he's a good coach.

bigbluedefense
07-25-2011, 10:48 AM
For the immediate future, we just have to hope Fewell can hold us down.

The thing that scares me is, Fewell got figured out halfway through the season. And after he got figured out, his adjustments were mediocre. He reverted back to more Tampa 2 and Cover 3, and he got torched for it.

His blitzes were unique at first, but got figured out and he didn't cook up anything new. So I was disappointed in his zone blitz schemes for the fact that he wasn't able to come up with any new wrinkles to trick offenses after his zone blitzes were figured out.

And bc he couldn't cook up new blitzes, he went back to his Tampa stuff in the 2nd half of the season and the results showed.

Hopefully with a year under the system, the players will work better in the scheme and Fewell will do more with his players since he knows them better now.

That's all we can hope for. And hopefully he trusts our secondary more and blitzes more.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah I agree with everything in those 2 posts. Eli should pretty much run the offense at this point like Peyton does. I don't think Coughlin has any plans to retire soon so I don't even know where to start looking for a defensive minded HC.

BaLLiN
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
This talk about slightly dirty players with leadership has got me thinkin about Burfict, and how perfect he'd be for us

LTgiants
07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
This Atlanta beat writer thinks we are going to make a move for Stephen Nicholas

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2011/07/25/5-things-we-heard-ray-edwards-appears-headed-to-philadelphia/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Any Thoughts?

OSUGiants17
07-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Ugh, with guys like Poz, Tulloch, Lawson, Ruud also in FA, and a potentially huge LB class next year I don't like the signing. He really isn't anything special, 5 career sacks(0 last season), never had over 80 tackles in a season(granted he has never started all 16 games), issues in coverage. If it is a 1 year deal to battle with Sintim then walk I don't mind it, but anything over a year and I will be pissed.

Big_Pete
07-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I want our next head coach to be a defensive guy so we have some continuity on defense. Hand Eli the keys on offense, bring consistency on defense, and we'll be better for it as long as he's a good coach.

I could easily see Coughlin moving to a front office job, with Perry Fewell taking over as H/C and perhaps Peter Giunta stepping up as D/C

Big_Pete
07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Ugh, with guys like Poz, Tulloch, Lawson, Ruud also in FA, and a potentially huge LB class next year I don't like the signing. He really isn't anything special, 5 career sacks(0 last season), never had over 80 tackles in a season(granted he has never started all 16 games), issues in coverage. If it is a 1 year deal to battle with Sintim then walk I don't mind it, but anything over a year and I will be pissed.

what about Nichols as a cheaper guy to man one olb spot plus a guy like Tulloch or Poz inside?

personally I would like to see Reese look into trading for Seattle LB David Hawthorne

Big_Pete
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Here is an interesting trade idea, let me know what you think.

LB David Hawthorne (Seahawks) for CB Aaron Ross

The Seahawks have plenty of LB depth with Curry, Hill and Tatupu and they need CB help.

Both players are in the last year of their deals and are unlikely to be back.

OSUGiants17
07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Great News Guys! Kirkpatrick, O'Dowd, Herzy, and Lefeged have all been signed and the only UDFA we signed is Jarriel King , OT, South Carolina.

BaLLiN
07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Great News Guys! Kirkpatrick, O'Dowd, Herzy, and Lefeged have all been signed and the only UDFA we signed is Jarriel King , OT, South Carolina.

i just wanted O'Dowd, where did herzlich go?

BaLLiN
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
I fully expect Henry Hynoski to take bushpenis's roster spot

OSUGiants17
07-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Herzy went to the Ravens which is a great fit. Kirkpatrick and Lefeged to the colts. And I forget were O'Dowd went.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Colts like their Rutgers players.

M.O.T.H.
07-26-2011, 07:01 AM

You should be happy to get King. He's very projectionable...he's massive, he's a very impressive/superior athlete for his size, 36 1/2" arms, possesses great power. He has all the tools necessary to make a roster, and he can play LT. He could certainly play G as well with the power he posseses, and his footwork inconsistencies.

Obviously he went undrafted for a reason, though. He still hasnt put it all together yet. He could be dominant at times, but he didnt sustain this. He can be a little slow off the snap, but that can be corrected. He's been no stranger to off the field incidents and he had a heart condition health scare. But he's been cleared of that red flag. I like him at T, the athletic ability is there, he just needs some coaching yet, to sound up the techincal side of things.

But yeah, King's a solid get, with a lot of untapped potential.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 07:30 AM
We're not going to have many roster spots available this year so it's going to be very interesting to see who makes it to the Practice Squad.

OSUGiants17
07-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Yea don't get me wrong, King was a good signing and I'm happy with it, but missing out on both centers, and Herzy sucks.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 09:01 AM
I just wanted us to get one of the Centers. So I'm bummed about that.

The rest...let's be honest, none of us know if any of these UDFAs will amount to anything. The FO knows alot more than we do about this.

Sounds like Boss wants to test the market. I don't think he'll like what he sees. With Miller and Heap out there, Boss's market value isn't that high.

Bradshaw could potentially go to the Dolphins too. It's btw us and the Dolphins, at least that's what the rumormill is saying.

If Dallas botched up the Doug Free situation, I'd love to take him off their hands. Free at LT, move Diehl to RT, Petrus at LG, Koets at C and Snee at RG.

Sounds like a very solid oline to me.

Damix
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I doubt Petrus would be trusted.

In the unlikely scenario we do get a LT in FA/trade. Diehl to LG, keep McKenzie at RT.

The question is, does Beatty take over, or is he proving to be just a swing tackle.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Coughlin LOVES Petrus.

I'm wondering if McKenzie might be a cap casualty. Beatty, I just don't trust him. And the fact that the Giants were hot for Nate Solder in the draft makes me worried too, bc that must mean they have their concerns about Beatty as well.

Damix
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Eh, Coughlin praises a lot of players. Not all will be starters.

McKenzie may be a bit of an injury risk right now, but I'd think we'd be surprised at the drop off to another player. He has been a steady presence.

Really OL and LB are the only two places I can really see us spending anything on (assumption from me, Bradshaw resigns).

Another person I wouldn't mind looking at is Justin Durant, I don't think he'll be expensive.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I really don't want Nicholas. I don't see how signing average LBs solves anything for us.

If we do sign him, that's a big time sign by the organization that they don't believe in Sintim.

And if that's the case, there's no guarantee he makes the team. He's in year 3 now, it could be put up or shut up time for Sintim. I don't think his issues are talent related. It seems like he has work ethic and attitude problems, from the clues you get when reading btw the lines when Coughlin and Reese talk about him.

Malaka
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
God, I hope we retain Bradshaw. He really is a spark in our offense, and I think his fumbling issues will be solved this year.

And guys, what happens if we can't retain Boss? Who the hell is going to play TE for us? Pascoe/Beckum...?

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Herz to the Giants!

I really hope he can turn it around. He's no guarantee to make the team though. But Lord knows I'm rooting hard for him.

OSUGiants17
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Giants potentially have the 2 biggest success stories, Chad Jones and Mark Herzlich!

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Giants potentially have the 2 biggest success stories, Chad Jones and Mark Herzlich!

How many extra wins do we get for that?

OSUGiants17
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
How many extra wins do we get for that?

over 9000,

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Chad still hurts. That was a 3rd round pick in the deepest draft in recent memory.

We could have had Jimmy Graham, Tony Moeki.

Geno Atkins </3.

I know hindsight is 20/20, and at the time it was a great pick. The Chad Jones situation is just unfortunate.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 11:11 AM
So Herz to the Ravens was premature. Great to have Herz on the team. He's going to be out to prove he can play.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Nooooooooooooo!

We cut Richy!

<///////3

Damix
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Nooooooooooooo!

We cut Richy!

<///////3

Apparently he was the first one that reported too.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Man that sucks. Hell of a Giants and I wish him the best.

Forenci
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
We got Martin Parker, DT, too? Supposedly was a beast at Richmond.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I could see Rich coming back for depth at a reduced salary. That guy just loves to play. He strikes me as the type who would consider playing for free.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I could see Rich coming back for depth at a reduced salary. That guy just loves to play. He strikes me as the type who would consider playing for free.

Yeah I have a feeling he'll be re-signed for cheap. Wasn't he the longest tenured Giant?

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah I have a feeling he'll be re-signed for cheap. Wasn't he the longest tenured Giant?

He was. If he can't pass a physical no other team will be signing him so I'm sure at some point if he can play he'd take the vet minimum.

Osi's the next longest tenured I believe. Cut him and it might be Eli. Actually it would be Diehl, just looked.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
He was. If he can't pass a physical no other team will be signing him so I'm sure at some point if he can play he'd take the vet minimum.

Either that or if we need him during the season he'd be a phone call away.

I have this list of UDFA's signed so far:

Boston College LB Mark Herzlich tweets he is officially a Giant.
South Carolina OL Jarriel King per @NFLDraftInsider on Twitter.
Pittsburgh FB Henry Hynoski per nepatriotsdraft.com. The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting Hynoski has agreed to terms with the Giants.
Iowa State SS David Sims per what's believed to be his Twitter page.
Richmond DT Martin Parker per Star-Ledger.
Oregon LB Spencer Paysinger per what's believed to be his Twitter page.
Florida DE Justin Trattou per Star-Ledger.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Trattou could be interesting. Although I have no idea where he would play. He has a weird body type. Kind of a DT/DE tweener. Played 3-4 DE, that might be his best spot although obviously not with us.

Nevermind, apparently he is extremely undersized for DT. I could have sworn thats how Florida used him.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Well I didn't realize Tolly was a FA so I bet we replace him with Trattou. Chase is a FA also so I hope we can get him back.

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
HERZ!!!!!!!

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Sounds like we might cut O'Hara also.

Forenci
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Sounds like we might cut O'Hara also.

Hopefully he stays cut. He's been a great Giants player for a long time but his skills have deteriorated so much over the past few years. I'm worried if we re-sign him the Giants will have him as the starter simply because of his standing and leadership on the field. We really need to upgrade the position.

scottyboy
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
so we cut O'Hara and Seubert. 2 of my favorite players. ****.

oh and osi holding out? even better.

****, I think I need a new favorite Giant, ugh

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm actually glad we cut O'Hara. His time is up. I want us to bring Richy back for cheaper, which I think will happen, but O'Hara was holding us back.

Thanks for the memories O'Hara, we appreciate what you did, but it's time to move on.

What is troubling though is, with Richy and O'Hara gone, we only have 1 Center on the roster, and he blew out his knee during the season.

It makes me wonder if we're positioning ourselves to go after a C in FA.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Fix the OL! Come on!

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Fix the OL! Come on!

Have faith in the young guys bro. Petrus can replace Richy no problem. Koets can replace O'Hara (if healthy).

I'm just worried about our LT spot. Beatty better step up this year.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't mind going after Nick Barnett. I always liked Barnett. He's a very good MIKE.

scottyboy
07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Beatty-Diehl-Koets-Snee-McKenzie

with Petrus in the wings? Or Diehl to LT with Petrus at LG?
geez, I just don't know.

Also, we need to end the offseason with either Bradshaw or DeAngelo Williams. end of story

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Need to get a LB would like to get James Anderson.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Beatty-Diehl-Koets-Snee-McKenzie

with Petrus in the wings? Or Diehl to LT with Petrus at LG?
geez, I just don't know.

Also, we need to end the offseason with either Bradshaw or DeAngelo Williams. end of story

I'd rather take my chances with this. The unknown (Petrus at LG) is more appealing than the known (Beatty at LT) to me.

scottyboy
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd rather take my chances with this. The unknown (Petrus at LG) is more appealing than the known (Beatty at LT) to me.

I fully agree with this one. At least it's nice to know the right side was the best in football last year. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I fully agree with this one. At least it's nice to know the right side was the best in football last year. Hopefully they can keep it up.

They've been the best in football for quite a few years now.

scottyboy
07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
They've been the best in football for quite a few years now.

well...when K-Mac's been healty *knocks on wood*

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Best at run blocking. McKenzie has always had trouble with speed rushers, his pass pro was average.

I still remember the Colts game from last year, when both Diehl and McKenzie were getting destroyed on every single play bc neither could handle speed at this point in their careers.

It's a scary thought to have both as our OTs next year.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
That's true. I always just think run first.

bigbluedefense
07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I prefer a dominant run blocking offense over a dominant pass protecting one, so I hear ya.

I just want my LT to be a very good pass protector and my RT to be good enough in pass pro.

Anyone else think we should take a look at Nick Barnett?

Rosebud
07-26-2011, 04:23 PM

I'm sorry but there's no way in hell you can say Beatty is a known, he has looked really good at some times and really under-sized at others. His play has been so sporadic and inconsistent that there's no way to know what he'll actually provide. You calling him a known at this point in his career, not a year from now, but right now, is absurd. Just as absurd as if I was to claim that Beatty-Petrus-Koets-Snee-Diehl will be the best line in football next year.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry but there's no way in hell you can say Beatty is a known, he has looked really good at some times and really under-sized at others. His play has been so sporadic and inconsistent that there's no way to know what he'll actually provide. You calling him a known at this point in his career, not a year from now, but right now, is absurd. Just as absurd as if I was to claim that Beatty-Petrus-Koets-Snee-Diehl will be the best line in football next year.

Well nothing I have seen from Beatty has really impressed me at all, outside of that one time when he didn't get beat on the same move twice and the announcers made a huge deal about it. I'd rather take my chances with Petrus. The learning curve of the position is easier too for Petrus. For someone undersized we thought runblocking would be an issue for Beatty, except that he hasn't really shined at all with his pass blocking either.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm with Jughead also on this. I liked what I've seen out of Petrus more than I've seen out of Beatty at this point.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Sounds like we might re-sign Smith to a 1 year deal so we can see how his knee is.

OSUGiants17
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I think a 1 year deal is ideal for Smith. If we notice he isn't completely healed by this time next year we can let him walk. Jerrel Jernigan and Mario will have had more time to develop as well as Nicks. This year, I just don't trust the guys we have(outside of Nicks) too much. If we let Smith walk, we lose a guy who has great chemistry with Eli, and lose our only slot receiver. Sure Jernigan and Mario could turn into our slot guy, but right now I don't trust either of them to replace Smith(and god forbid Nicks if he goes down)

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I think a 1 year deal is ideal for Smith. If we notice he isn't completely healed by this time next year we can let him walk. Jerrel Jernigan and Mario will have had more time to develop as well as Nicks. This year, I just don't trust the guys we have(outside of Nicks) too much. If we let Smith walk, we lose a guy who has great chemistry with Eli, and lose our only slot receiver. Sure Jernigan and Mario could turn into our slot guy, but right now I don't trust either of them to replace Smith(and god forbid Nicks if he goes down)

I agree with everything but don't forget about Barden also. I think he steps it up this year as well.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Have faith in the young guys bro. Petrus can replace Richy no problem. Koets can replace O'Hara (if healthy).

I'm just worried about our LT spot. Beatty better step up this year.

Petrus I will interested in at LG. Center, I don't want an injured koets with little to no experience, lol. No Thanks! he will be going against elite 1 and 0 T throughout the year. Get me a guy healthy and with experience if we can. If not, then healthy but someone who played the position throughout his career either in college or pros.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Punters? Rocca was let go by Eagles and some other decent punter I can't think of now was let go. I think we should sign one.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the Jets let their punter go also. If we stuck with Dodge all of last year I don't see us getting rid of him now.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Giants and Shawn Andrews couldn't work out a deal to restructure his contract so he's the next one we let go of.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
We have to at least bring in someone else and make it an open competition. I can't see how we can reward him with job security.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:46 PM
We have to at least bring in someone else and make it an open competition. I can't see how we can reward him with job security.

If we bring in a veteran punter like Rocca then it's going to be because we cut Dodge. For whatever this FO and coaching staff seems to think he has big time potential though.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Re-signed Kevin Boothe to a 2 year deal. It's an all OL day for the G-Men.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm concerned with safety too. Center, Punter, and Safety. Not in that particular order.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Rocky Bernard going to restructure down to league minimum so he'll be around for DT depth.

Garofalo thinks we might be interested in Olin Kreutz or Chris Spencer for C.

I think we'll re-sign Grant and go with the 4 guys there.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Geez way to much news all of a sudden. Schefter reporting we are talking to Plax about a return. No clue on how serious.

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Chris Spencer since he was Eli's center at Ole Miss.

BaLLiN
07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Geez way to much news all of a sudden. Schefter reporting we are talking to Plax about a return. No clue on how serious.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS i kept his jersey, please let it happen. I realize that this will probably hurt us in specials, but i think:

Nicks, Smith, Mario, Jernigan, Plax, Barden, Cruz are our 7. Barden has the size, if he wants to make it on the team he needs to play specials. Cruz can return as can Jernigan and both have done some killman duties before (i dont think Hixon should be brought back w/ 1 yr before his contract is up).

what about that DE from Nebraska?

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Pierre Allen? He ended up signing with the Seahawks not us.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
We should just sit and let the first wave of free agents go. No team is going to get better by signing these clowns to 6 plus year deals. This is a weak FA class anyway.

Malaka
07-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I agree, so long as we lock up our own guys.

From FA all I want is some OL depth, and a lower-tier LB to compete with Sintim/Goff.

BaLLiN
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Resign Bradshaw or get DWill?

I know they're both very different, and I've grown very very attached to Bradshaw, but DWill has insane vision and agilitly. I love Bradshaw and all but his fumbles ruin us and cutback mentality isn't always productive. I think resign, as do most giants fans on the giants message board, but DWill looks pretty good too..

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Get Both and reform Earth Wind and Fire lol

No Seriously I would lean towards staying loyal and bring back Bradshaw.

BaLLiN
07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Get Both and reform Earth Wind and Fire lol

No Seriously I would lean towards staying loyal and bring back Bradshaw.

Just lookin at both of them play over the years I would personally take Williams. Bradshaw is alot choppier, and his running style is the reason for his reoccurring foot and ankle injuries. And I dont know about all of you, but Dwill coming out was such a sexy prospect.

I know Dwill is older, but I think Bradshaw will actually get more money because of his more recent production.

We all know how ward was with the Bucs, our system seems to get average RB's great numbers. Just imagine what a runner with supreme vision and very good agility and speed to take it all the way would do.

M.O.T.H.
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Cofield signed with the Skins.

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM

Its Corneilus Griffin all over again lol

BaLLiN
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM

i kinda got the feeling he'd actually WANT to go to a giant rival. Whatever happened with him i dont know, but i remember when rumors came up that he requested a trade during the season.

LTgiants
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Just lookin at both of them play over the years I would personally take Williams. Bradshaw is alot choppier, and his running style is the reason for his reoccurring foot and ankle injuries. And I dont know about all of you, but Dwill coming out was such a sexy prospect.

I know Dwill is older, but I think Bradshaw will actually get more money because of his more recent production.

We all know how ward was with the Bucs, our system seems to get average RB's great numbers. Just imagine what a runner with supreme vision and very good agility and speed to take it all the way would do.

I like Dwill but I think Bradshaw would be better option since he has been with us and knows our system. Also he has a lot of friends and teammates here.

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Its Corneilus Griffin all over again lol

That was my first thought as well. I think Griffin was the better player though. I'm not really interested in bringing in any of the big FA's this year so I'm fine with sitting back and plucking some of the 2nd tier guys. I'd also take Bradshaw back over Williams. Bradshaw will command less money I think.

Jughead10
07-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah I think Griffin was a better player too. Offered more in pass rush other than cleaning up other player's pressures.

Damix
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Well we signed a center, hopefully this works as well as when we signed O'Hara

BaLLiN
07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Well we signed a center, hopefully this works as well as when we signed O'Hara

He can also play guard, so if we resign Seubert i think we're good on the interior

bigbluedefense
07-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't know anything about Bass. Early impressions are the 49ers wanted him back, and he seems to have been their starter for the past 2 years.

Anyone know anything about the guy?

Jughead10
07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't know anything about Bass. Early impressions are the 49ers wanted him back, and he seems to have been their starter for the past 2 years.

Not recently. I know he eased into the league. Many thought he would be an instant starter at Guard when he was drafted but took a while to consistently be a starter.

princefielder28
07-27-2011, 09:53 AM

versatile interior lineman, either center or right guard, and provides a nice push in the running game, certainly an asset in that department

bigbluedefense
07-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a winner to me. He doesn't sound like a PBer, but a very solid guy.

I'm fine with that. That shores up the C spot. Now we just better pray we have LT figured out, and we'll be fine.

The only negative of this move is we won't go after a guy like Konz in the draft this coming year. I would have loved him in Giant blue. Dude is a beast.

Jughead10
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a winner to me. He doesn't sound like a PBer, but a very solid guy.

I'm fine with that. That shores up the C spot. Now we just better pray we have LT figured out, and we'll be fine.

The only negative of this move is we won't go after a guy like Konz in the draft this coming year. I would have loved him in Giant blue. Dude is a beast.

I don't think the signing of Bass will change any potential draft picks. He isn't that type of player. He's versatile enough where I'm sure he could play LG or even be a 6th OL. How many year is this for anyway?

OSUGiants17
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Poz to the Jags, kinda upset we missed out on him, but the money we would have had to pay wouldn't be worth the sign anyways and there are other LBs so its whatever

OSUGiants17
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
How would you guys feel about bringing Tommie Harris on a small one year deal?

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
I know some of the guys on BBI wanted Baas as well so I like this move. Don't forget when O'Hara came it was very similar, versatile C but can play guard spots if he had to.

Damix
07-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Released Bernard now too, couldn't agree to a restructured contract.

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Also we are giving Coughlin a 1 year extension.

Forenci
07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Bah. It's not that I dislike Coughlin but some of the coordinators he hires and insists on keeping can be frustrating. I suppose this doesn't change anything thought. If he doesn't make the playoffs again I'm sure he'll get fired.

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
DWill got a ton of money from Carolina. Let's hope Bradshaw is cheaper.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
If Bradshaw wants similar money, I say let him walk.

I hate paying RBs to begin with, that kind of money for a RB is ridiculous. I rather save the money and go into the season with Jacobs and Ware as our 1,2 punch than pay Bradshaw that kind of money.

Also, does anyone know anything about Bass's contract? No numbers have been released to my knowledge.

scottyboy
07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Am I the only one who'd like us to bring in Gallery?

Diehl-Gallery-Baas-Snee-McKenzie

retain Bradshaw and Boss and Smith on a 1 year deal. that would make me happy

bigbluedefense
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Am I the only one who'd like us to bring in Gallery?

Diehl-Gallery-Baas-Snee-McKenzie

retain Bradshaw and Boss and Smith on a 1 year deal. that would make me happy

He already got signed by Seattle.

I didn't want him anyway, we have enough Guards. I rather give Petrus the LG spot than sign someone to play there.

Or slide Diehl to LG if Beatty can play LT and McKenzie has any gas left in that tank.

scottyboy
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
just saw that, oh well.

And I'd be ok with Petrus starting at LG. I'm just...idk, so conflicted with Beatty. He was so damn inconsistant last season.

Also, let's sign Brian Leonard. HOORAY to that idea!

bigbluedefense
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Beatty scares the crap out of me. I don't trust him at all. I'm hoping he's progressed but I'd be lying to you if I said I was confident in that.

If I put my homerism aside, my brain tells me he's going to be a dud.

Signing Leonard would actually be a very smart move if we can't re-sign Bradshaw.

Leonard is an underrated RB. White RBs are so in right now.

LTgiants
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I like the Baas signing since he is versatile. I would rather have Chris Spencer at center though if he has not signed anywhere and play baas at the guard.

scottyboy
07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
oooh if we brought in Spencer...

Diehl-Baas-Spencer-Snee-Mckenzie

*drools*

49ersfan_87
07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Also, does anyone know anything about Bass's contract? No numbers have been released to my knowledge.

This is what 49ers beatwriter Matt Maiocco says

The 49ers did not get into a bidding war Wednesday to retain starting center David Baas (http://stats.csnbayarea.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7209&team=25), perhaps to save cap space for a run at
Asomugha, an NFL source said. Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New
York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four
centers in the league, the source said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/27/11/49ers-creating-cap-space-to-pursue-Asomu/l_49ers.html?blockID=544048&feedID=5936

Baas is a solid player, mostly played LG for us until he switched to C this year due to injuries. Still miffed as to why we didn't re-sign honestly. Good signing by the G-Men.

LTgiants
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
It was 5 years 26 Million I read somewhere.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I like the signing. I would have loved Kalil even more, but I can't complain with this guy. Plus it saves us money.

Bradshaw is running out of options with Miami signing Reggie Bush. I think as long as Denver stays away from him, we should be able to re-sign him at our price.

He's trying to squeeze the Giants for more money though.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Also, is it true that Steve Smith won't be ready until the end of training camp at earliest? I heard that somewhere, I can't remember where, and that's very concerning.

Damix
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I like the signing. I would have loved Kalil even more, but I can't complain with this guy. Plus it saves us money.

Bradshaw is running out of options with Miami signing Reggie Bush. I think as long as Denver stays away from him, we should be able to re-sign him at our price.

He's trying to squeeze the Giants for more money though.

I think Bradshaw will be back. Though I have a feeling we won't like the terms too much.

Also, is it true that Steve Smith won't be ready until the end of training camp at earliest? I heard that somewhere, I can't remember where, and that's very concerning.

This makes the Plax interest more believable.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a feeling the Steelers land Plax. Tomlin will win him over with his rah rah ********.

******* Mike Tomlin. I can't stand TomTom.