PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Wilson and Randle signed this morning as well in time for rookie camp. That's pretty much everyone besdies Kuhn and Mosley.

bigbluedefense
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm tellin ya, you guys are gonna love Randle.

I see big things out of him if he can stay healthy, he'll be our 3rd WR by week 8.

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm tellin ya, you guys are gonna love Randle.

I see big things out of him if he can stay healthy, he'll be our 3rd WR by week 8.

Stop rubbing it in!! This better be a Nicks/Britt situation again.

Also, Mosley has signed already so weirdly enough Kuhn is the only one without a deal. Looking forward to hearing the reports out of rookie camp this weekend.

bigbluedefense
05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Stop rubbing it in!! This better be a Nicks/Britt situation again.

Also, Mosley has signed already so weirdly enough Kuhn is the only one without a deal. Looking forward to hearing the reports out of rookie camp this weekend.

The new rookie wage scale is so great. I love it.

I'm hoping it is. I love Sanu as well and hope he does great. I just feel confident in Randle, when I went back and studied him a good bit, I really did see a lot to like. I was high on him before we drafted him but after really breaking down his Florida and Alabama games, I realized that I underrated him with my initial analysis.

For our system, he's rated very high. As a pure prospect, no, he's a fringe 1st maybe 2nd rounder, in a WCO he's a late 2nd early 3rd. But in our system, he's very good.

I obviously still wish we got Hill, but I'm very pleased with Randle.

He's a Nicks/Barden/Steve Smith mix. He's got the catching radius and strength of Nicks, the fluidity of Barden, and the awareness of Smith. He's gonna be good.

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Sanu has all those traits also though. I do understand I really need to give this up for awhile though because obviously the FO didn't think so.

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
First tweet of the day and it's Rutgers power with Bing sticking it to Randle.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

CB Brandon Bing knocks away a pass for Rueben Randle. Fewell in training camp form, yells, "Bada Bing!" #nyg

bigbluedefense
05-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Lol, don't get too excited. Some scrub knocked down a pass. We'll be ok lol.

BaLLiN
05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/2012-Rookie-Minicamp-Roster/0fc2ab6f-c0be-4ad1-9543-2bddbe141f1f

look at the veteran try-outs, interesting

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Lol, don't get too excited. Some scrub knocked down a pass. We'll be ok lol.

I'm messing around. Bing is from Rutgers though so he's no scrub.

bigbluedefense
05-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm messing around. Bing is from Rutgers though so he's no scrub.

True. I slipped there.

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
So Coughlin singled out Robinson and Randle today saying he was very impressed. I know it means nothing but I miss football and this is all we have now. Robinson apparently made a real sick catch. He's going to be a stud!

bigbluedefense
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Get the lotion! I'll grab the napkins!

BaLLiN
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
I got the candles and music

Damix
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/2012-Rookie-Minicamp-Roster/0fc2ab6f-c0be-4ad1-9543-2bddbe141f1f

look at the veteran try-outs, interesting

I think Jamaal Jackson's career is over at this point, IIRC he has tried out for a bunch of teams this offseason.

OSUGiants17
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Robinson could easily become something special for us. I love Pope!

Forenci
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Sanu has all those traits also though. I do understand I really need to give this up for awhile though because obviously the FO didn't think so.

The main difference is Sanu is smaller and can't separate. I mean, the Giants FO wasn't the only one that thought this because Sanu fell pretty damn far to where most people expected him to go.

Giantsfan1080
05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
The main difference is Sanu is smaller and can't separate. I mean, the Giants FO wasn't the only one that thought this because Sanu fell pretty damn far to where most people expected him to go.

Like I said the FO obviously thinks Randle is better. Sanu and him are the same height though.

BaLLiN
05-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Like I said the FO obviously thinks Randle is better. Sanu and him are the same height though.

Sanu: 6' 1 1/2''
Randle: 6' 2 7/8''

Sanu has 1/2 inch longer arms and 9/8 bigger hands.

BaLLiN
05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
eli:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/03/no-8-eli-manning-qb-new-york-giants/

LTgiants
05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ii7ipz.jpg

What about him?

BigBlueNorwegian
05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Looks like we waived Chad Jones. Sad to see, but that was ultimately the only choice we had. I'm happy he has come so far in his recovery that there was a legitimate discussion about whether he would be able to play again. Hopefully he'll continue to heal and get a shot to play for another franchise. And from what I've read, he can always play baseball if that doesn't work out.

bigbluedefense
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
The Giants did the classy thing. They knew he had no chance of ever making a recovery for football. They didn't even have to sign his contract, he got hurt before he was even signed.

But had they not signed him, he wouldn't have the money to pay for the medical, and they would probably amputate his foot. Instead, the Giants sign him, and let him use their medical for 2 years until he was healthy enough to be able to walk for the rest of his life, then they cut him.

Free medical for 2 years was basically what they gave him, when they could have just not signed him at all. It's a classy move. The Giants have always been a class organization.

CowboysBeastMode
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Robinson could easily become something special for us. I love Pope!us cowboy faithful said the same thing about martellus bennett

CowboysBeastMode
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
The Giants did the classy thing. They knew he had no chance of ever making a recovery for football. They didn't even have to sign his contract, he got hurt before he was even signed.

But had they not signed him, he wouldn't have the money to pay for the medical, and they would probably amputate his foot. Instead, the Giants sign him, and let him use their medical for 2 years until he was healthy enough to be able to walk for the rest of his life, then they cut him.

Free medical for 2 years was basically what they gave him, when they could have just not signed him at all. It's a classy move. The Giants have always been a class organization.maybe he could return to baseball, much less athleticism required to play

ill feel bad for him though, he could have developed into a real good safety

bigbluedefense
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
maybe he could return to baseball, much less athleticism required to play

ill feel bad for him though, he could have developed into a real good safety

Unfortunately I don't think he can play any sport. The soft tissue damage he has in his leg sounds pretty severe. One bad slide, and his leg could be gone. And if he's pitching, there's no way he can plant on that leg.

He's just gonna have to live a normal life like the rest of us. It's a shame, but that's life. I thought we stole him too, I had high hopes for him. I wish him the best.

Giantsfan1080
05-15-2012, 01:43 PM
us cowboy faithful said the same thing about martellus bennett

Except we have the best TE coach in the NFL.

CowboysBeastMode
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Except we have the best TE coach in the NFL.who? is that a fact or just an opinion b/c i cant think of any great te's ya'll had since shockey (and no on kevin boss he was good overall te but far from great)

bigbluedefense
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
who? is that a fact or just an opinion b/c i cant think of any great te's ya'll had since shockey (and no on kevin boss he was good overall te but far from great)

Yeah Mike Pope is known as the best TE coach in football. Even Jason Witten said so in an interview a month or so ago. In fact his exact words (or very close to it) were "Anybody who plays TE in this league knows who Mike Pope is"

CowboysBeastMode
05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah Mike Pope is known as the best TE coach in football. Even Jason Witten said so in an interview a month or so ago. In fact his exact words (or very close to it) were "Anybody who plays TE in this league knows who Mike Pope is"cool, i leave it that pope is one of the best te coaches in the league.

now if marty b has 50+ catches and 8 td's then ill say he's the best

OSUGiants17
05-15-2012, 04:13 PM
You don't have to make everyone into Shannon Sharpe to be the best TE coach, just make them improve a lot which Pope does. He turned Boss and Ballard into legit TEs. Boss was a 6th rounder IIRC and Pope made him a valuable part of our offense and Ballard was a UDFA/Practice Squad TE who is now a starting caliber TE who helped Eli a lot this year. Go away Cowboy homer

CowboysBeastMode
05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Go away Cowboy homerhaha nice one, but i rep b-more and tampa bay too, so im not a complete homer

Rosebud
05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Still Pope has shown time and again that he can teach anyone to block and catch the ball. Boss, Ballard and Shockey where all terrible blockers when he got his hands on them and none of them had the consistent hands they developed under him.

Giantsfan1080
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Ballard wasn't a terrible blocker. All he did at Ohio State was block because he was so good at it. He definitely took a step back in that area in the NFL but I wouldn't group him in with the other 2.

BaLLiN
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't think it is out of question to say that we could get a legit TE out of the bunch we have. Obviously Bennett and Robinson have the highest ceiling, look at their numbers. You have to say they have very high potential with their tangibles. What can help them reach their potential? Coaches, teammates, environment.

Well looking at what we have: Tom Coughlin, Mike Pope, Kevin Gilbride; Eli Manning (one of the best quarterbacks in the league), numerous other receiving threats; we just won the superbowl (winning environment).

I don't see how you completely write off the possibility that either bust instead of boom with what we have. Heck, Beckum could even be an x-factor, I know how most feel about him but the light went on. He was making good plays for us in the San Fran game and converted (at least two) crucial 3rd downs. Point is, the position has improved.

Giantsfan1080
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
If Bennentt doesn't succeed here with the support group around him with everyone you mentioned then he will never be more than he already is.

Forenci
05-15-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't think it is out of question to say that we could get a legit TE out of the bunch we have. Obviously Bennett and Robinson have the highest ceiling, look at their numbers. You have to say they have very high potential with their tangibles. What can help them reach their potential? Coaches, teammates, environment.

Well looking at what we have: Tom Coughlin, Mike Pope, Kevin Gilbride; Eli Manning (one of the best quarterbacks in the league), numerous other receiving threats; we just won the superbowl (winning environment).

I don't see how you completely write off the possibility that either bust instead of boom with what we have. Heck, Beckum could even be an x-factor, I know how most feel about him but the light went on. He was making good plays for us in the San Fran game and converted (at least two) crucial 3rd downs. Point is, the position has improved.

Plus people like to act like players who were bad/crappy have never come out of no where to succeed later in their careers. It happens every year, in every sport.

Sometimes a change in environment, coaching, and being forced to realize you're not as good as you thought you were can be enough to motivate a lot of players to put in the work.

That said, I'm not really expecting anything out of Bennett other than blocking. Anything else is just a bonus.

bigbluedefense
05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm not a Bennett fan, I think he's a turd. I'm expecting him to be a great blocker for us, anything on top of that is gravy to me.

He's only on a 1 year contract anyway, so even if he does play like a world beater, I don't envision us re-signing him anyway considering all the other contracts we'll have coming up soon.

Giantsfan1080
05-16-2012, 07:24 AM
I always saw him drop to many passes so I didn't really want him either but I think he does well there. He's going to help improve our run game immensely which is just fine with me.

Giantsfan1080
05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes please.

Ralph Vacchiano

Did someone say "Dynasty"? Yes, Justin Tuck did. "I think the second ring makes you that much hungrier," Tuck said. "You get there the first time and you're in awe. You win the second one and you're like, 'Maybe we can do something here.' Now we want to make it a dynasty." #NYG

Giantsfan1080
05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Picture says it all:

http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/2012/05/11032180-standard.jpg

BaLLiN
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
that glistening you're seeing in those pictures, yeah thats the aftermath of our giant circlejerk orgy

BaLLiN
05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Roddy White over Hakeem Nicks in 2012? Desean? I can deal with Jordy and AJ because they had beastly seasons as well, but those two i mentioned first weren't as good as Nicks.

scottyboy
05-17-2012, 02:54 AM
ugh, i wouldn't take Jordy, Roddy OR Desean over him. Maybe, MAYBE AJ but that's because I freaking love him (assuming AJ Green)

Giantsfan1080
05-17-2012, 07:07 AM
What are you talking about?

ifidel
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/foa-2012-preview-strategic-tendencies-tables

Interesting read. We're in Nickel almost 60% of the time. I'm really interested in seeing if TT will move over to the slot or if we keep Antrel there. I kind of liked Antrel in the slot cuz of his pressing ability, but he did give up some big plays. I'd much rather move TT over to Safety in place of Grant, especially since he's coming off of a torn ACL.

bigbluedefense
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
That article isn't really saying anything we didn't already know. In a passing league, your nickel defense is your base defense. The 4-3 and 3-4 are subpackages now, and your nickel defense is your base.

We, along with the Packers were just ahead of the curve with our usage of the Nickel strong on 1st and 2nd down. You are better off giving up an extra YPC in the run game to stop the pass than stop an extra yard in the run game but get gashed through the air.

Teams will smarten up and start developing run heavy offenses soon to counter this, and then defenses will evolve to bigger defenses again to counter that. Football is evolution, when the league sways in one direction too heavily, someone smartens up and moves in the opposite direction to gain a competitive advantage, then the rest of the league catches up to them and then the process cycles again.

Giantsfan1080
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Was Fewell ahead of the curve because of the lack of personnel or because he was smart enough to realize what was going on? I'm leaning towards the former.

bigbluedefense
05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Btw...Rolando McClain...glad we dodged that bullet! (No pun)

I remember trying so hard to sell myself on him. I kept watching game after game and I'm like, yo this guy just isn't that nice. He and Spikes were the same player to me and I couldn't understand why Spikes was a 2nd rounder and he was a 1st. I liked Spoon a lot, but McClain...I tried seeing it, but I just couldn't sell myself on him.

It turns out my eyes didn't lie to me. He is a mediocre NFL player and a thug on top of that.

bigbluedefense
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Was Fewell ahead of the curve because of the lack of personnel or because he was smart enough to realize what was going on? I'm leaning towards the former.

You know me, I hate giving Perry Fewell any credit. So let's say it was lack of personnel.

Afterall, this is the same guy who unleashed the vaunted rush 3 Cover 2 for most of the regular season. Even a turd is shiny once in awhile.

Giantsfan1080
05-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll give him credit for finally switching things up even though it was super super super super late. Let's hope he continues.

Rosebud
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Fewell is kinda ********, but like Gilbride his X's and O's aren't what make him ********. He's a pretty smart football strategy guy. It's balancing his personnel with the schemes he wants to implement that he's terrible at.

Iamcanadian
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Blaming is great fun but the Giant's defense came to life when the injuries went away. The talent was always there, it just needed to stay healthy.
Easy to blame coaches when key personnel get injured. I'd say ditto for KC where their star QB, RB and Safety all went down and the HC paid with his job.
Injuries can always derail a season or part of a season, it all depends on when they occur. Get them early like the Giants did and have the players come back in time for the playoffs and a team has a shot. Get them early and they remain injured for the season or get them later and you are done for the season. Ask KC or Chicago fans?

Jughead10
05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Blaming is great fun but the Giant's defense came to life when the injuries went away. The talent was always there, it just needed to stay healthy.
Easy to blame coaches when key personnel get injured. I'd say ditto for KC where their star QB, RB and Safety all went down and the HC paid with his job.
Injuries can always derail a season or part of a season, it all depends on when they occur. Get them early like the Giants did and have the players come back in time for the playoffs and a team has a shot. Get them early and they remain injured for the season or get them later and you are done for the season. Ask KC or Chicago fans?

WHAT?:facepalm:

Giantsfan1080
05-17-2012, 09:09 PM

That doesn't explain Fewell's first year here which was awful just like most of the season last year. It's called inflexible and he was it for a long time.

Also don't ever put star QB and Cassel together. Ever.

CJSchneider
05-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Ok, it's been a busy day. What are the "37" sapphires symbolic of in your new SB rings?

Jughead10
05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok, it's been a busy day. What are the "37" sapphires symbolic of in your new SB rings?

Is it symbolic? I just read they wanted to get some blue on the ring because the last one didn't have any.

Giantsfan1080
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah it doesn't represent anything.

CJSchneider
05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I would have figured the 37 would have had some significance other than the answer to a trivia question.

Forenci
05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
CJ gracing the Giants forums. I feel rather honored.

But yeah, I don't think it stands for anything that I know of.

CJSchneider
05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
CJ gracing the Giants forums. I feel rather honored.

But yeah, I don't think it stands for anything that I know of.

And don't you forget it. No, seriously, where else would I go to for Giants info all the while being taken seriously.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I'll give him credit for finally switching things up even though it was super super super super late. Let's hope he continues.

That still bothers me how late he made adjustments and it was because the players met with him before the Jets game and after the redskins game. What happens if the players don't go meet with him? Then what? I will be watching that side of the ball yet again.

bigbluedefense
05-19-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm watching Super Bowl 42 on NFL Network right now, and maaaaaan what a brilliant game plan by Spagnuolo. I miss him so much. He was so damn good.

And our dline played out of it's mind that night. It really is unbelievable watching this game over again and seeing the type of pressure we got on every down. It was unbelievable.

The greatest football game I ever saw in my life, and I highly doubt we as Giants fans will ever see a better game in our lifetime. That was the best. It can't be matched.

bigbluedefense
05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
I really hope we see some progression from Linval this year. He has great ability, he's strong as an ox and is great in the run game, but he can be even better with some development. He's huge, he's strong and has very long arms. He's kind of like a poor man's Brockers.

Just going back and watching some games, you saw times where he was blocked way too easily on passing downs. He has no pass rush moves at all. Look at the play where Tuck gets the safety in the SB. Go watch Joseph. He was completely stonewalled on that play and he was just locked up. He's too big and strong for that to happen the way it did.

He can dominate inside with some development. I like him a lot, he's already a great run stuffer. I just hope he can take his game to the next level. He showed glimpses in the SB.

I want to see consistency from him.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2012, 01:12 PM
He's still young and raw so I'm very impressed with how much improvement he already made from year one to two. He's currently one of my favorite players already so I'm thinking about buying his jersey. He'll be in the Kevin Williams type mode this year I think.

Damix
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I was thinking about getting 2 more jerseys, have JPP and Nicks right now. Joesph and Randle maybe, if Randle shows anything.

bigbluedefense
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I see him more as Pat Williams. Which is fine with me.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I actually see him almost a perfect hybrid between the 2 Williams. I don't think he'll get to the passer as good as Kevin but close and won't be able to play the run as good as Pat but close.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I was thinking about getting 2 more jerseys, have JPP and Nicks right now. Joesph and Randle maybe, if Randle shows anything.

I only have Eli and Nicks right now with Shockey and Smith "retired". Need to get a few more.

bigbluedefense
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I wish we still had Waufle. He's the best dline coach in the business imo. Imagine what he'd do with JPP and Joseph.

Jughead10
05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Looks like Witherspoon tore his new ACL in the first practice today. Glad we drafted a CB, we can never have enough.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
He was behind Tryon, Johnson, and probably Hosely anyway.

Jughead10
05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Nicks broke his foot. Out 3 months. That puts him awfully close to opening game especially since we play on Wednesday. Crap.

Damix
05-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Awesome start to the year so far...

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm telling you, we need to re-evaluate our training staff and medical staff.

We must have the worst medical and training staff in the league, this is getting ridiculous how we are amongst the league leaders in injuries every freaking year. It's not a coincidence anymore. Our guys are not training properly and healing properly.

I think stretching is a big issue with our team too bc of all the muscle injuries we see every year.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh and hey Ramses Barden, if you ride the bike this training camp you can go **** yourself you worthless piece of ****. Time to step up or gtfo.

OSUGiants17
05-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Seriously, like BBD said, it can't be coincidental anymore. These guys clearly aren't doing their jobs right. Injuries in the game is one thing, that's just football, but pre-season injuries, especially muscle injuries are entirely the training/medical staff's fault.

OSUGiants17
05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh and hey Ramses Barden, if you ride the bike this training camp you can go **** yourself you worthless piece of ****. Time to step up or gtfo.

So many possible captions for this picture:
http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/9951441-large.jpg

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I hate Barden so much.

BaLLiN
05-24-2012, 03:03 PM
BBD, Nicks broke a bone... that kind of stuff happens, and you've gotta be happy that it wasn't worse. 12 weeks from now would make it august 16th, that is, what, three weeks prior to the season opener? Like I said, be happy that it wasn't that bad.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I know it's not bad, but it's still frustrating. And broken feet can linger. Ask Prince.

Hopefully this will give Randle more reps in practice. But I stand by my statements on our medical and training staff. I think it's a serious problem that we never look into.

Jughead10
05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I know it's not bad, but it's still frustrating. And broken feet can linger. Ask Prince.

Hopefully this will give Randle more reps in practice. But I stand by my statements on our medical and training staff. I think it's a serious problem that we never look into.

Could be the GM too. Drafting injury prone players. Some guys just get hurt, a lot. I'm not saying Nicks is one of them, but did he have a lot of injuries at UNC?

BaLLiN
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to look around. This gives our WR's a chance to take more reps like you said, specifically Randle, Hixon, and Jernigan. Those three are going to have to fill the 3, 4, and 5 spots unless Barden stops being a pussbag.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Could be the GM too. Drafting injury prone players. Some guys just get hurt, a lot. I'm not saying Nicks is one of them, but did he have a lot of injuries at UNC?

Accorsi was actually notorious for drafting "bargain" injury prone guys in the middle of the draft but Reese has been the opposite. We generally stay away from guys with medical histories.

Even our FAs, like Boley and Canty, both were known as durable healthy guys before they got here, then all of a sudden they're walking bandages.

It's the medical and training staff.

Damix
05-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Yea we've been saying this for years not, this isn't a gutshot reaction from BBD. Our traning staff sucks.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I disagree. There is nothing a training staff can do so you don't break your 5th metatarsal.

Also,

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/12128555.jpg

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
That is true. We can throw a bunch of scrubs out there and Eli balls so hard they'll each get 1000 yards receiving.

I love Eli so much. It feels so good having a stud muffin at qb.

Thats why we can keep drafting defense early and just make Eli make chicken salad out of chicken **** and be good enough on offense while keeping a dominant defense.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 03:56 PM
He'll probably miss the first 2 or 3 games so we just need the next guy to step up. Also, the defense will just have to carry us for a little. The injuries suck no doubt though and I am totally sick of them.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Well hopefully the run game picks up as well. I'm sure teams are gonna go nickel defense on us all 3 downs this year, if we can get that run game going it will go a long way in improving our team as a whole.

I want to see us run the rock like we did in 08.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Wilson and Bradshaw will have to play a huge role early. Also, as the biggest defender of Barden here he HAS to step it up now. If he shows nothing I'll readily admit I was wrong but I think he can step up and do well enough. This goes to show much we really needed a WR this draft.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
So will our TEs. Sealing the edges is so critical to our run game, we need Bennett and Robinson to really lock down the edges so our Guards can pull.

And Baas has to like...you know...actually block somebody. Too many times last year I saw him whiff on blocks bc he didn't know who to pick up, or take terrible angles and whiff on his block, or just get owned. If he doesn't hold up in the middle, our pulling guards won't be successful either.

And for what it's worth, we all love Boothe, but if you back and look at the tape, he was very mediocre pulling last year. If our OGs can't pull, our run game is shot. Snee is a step slow now and Boothe is not good at pulling. So that's something to consider as well.

And Hynoski routinely took bad angles as well. Our blocking was just awful in the run game last year.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Blocking will improve. I'm 100% positive on that.

Jughead10
05-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Boothe needs to get rid of that dumpy ass and maybe he can pull a bit better. I know someone who played with him in college and he said he came in close to 400lbs as a freshman. He's a fat kid.

BigBlueNorwegian
05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
The Nicks injury is not that bad. Better to have it happen now than mid-season. And it's a freak injury anyways, it happens a lot to European soccer players getting stepped on by other players(common way to fracture metatarsal).

Having said that, I do agree with the notion of changing our medical and training staff. But that's mostly because of the multitude of lingering muscle strains and torn ligaments.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I really hope Petrus steps up this year but it seems like the coaching staff loves Boothe.

Petrus is a beast of a run blocker but he really needs to work on his pass pro. Hopefully he gets some reps this year.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
I think Snee/Diehl on the RT will be plowing people. Snee has a huge bounce back year in him.

BaLLiN
05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
He'll probably miss the first 2 or 3 games so we just need the next guy to step up. Also, the defense will just have to carry us for a little. The injuries suck no doubt though and I am totally sick of them.

12 weeks from tomorrow would be the 17th, he is having a screw put in tomorrow. I don't see how that makes his return go to mid september... 3 weeks is close to the amount of rehab time according to my brother (physical therapist), but he said that he could miss the first game. I don't think that he'll miss 2 or 3 games though.

Nicks has played through injury before, we shouldn't be mad about this because him getting healthy instead of going through camp could be good for him. Less stress on his body.

CowboysBeastMode
05-24-2012, 07:04 PM
i wish i were happy that nicks could very likely miss the opener but im very disappointed i was looking foward to brandon carr locking him on national tv... oooh well

to speedy recovery hakeem (i always thought you would be star when jon gruden said you reminded him of michael irvin) mr carr and mr claiborne will be waiting for you

Forenci
05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
i wish i were happy that nicks could very likely miss the opener but im very disappointed i was looking foward to brandon carr locking him on national tv... oooh well

to speedy recovery hakeem (i always thought you would be star when jon gruden said you reminded him of michael irvin) mr carr and mr claiborne will be waiting for you

Lol go away troll.

Giantsfan1080
05-24-2012, 10:45 PM
12 weeks from tomorrow would be the 17th, he is having a screw put in tomorrow. I don't see how that makes his return go to mid september... 3 weeks is close to the amount of rehab time according to my brother (physical therapist), but he said that he could miss the first game. I don't think that he'll miss 2 or 3 games though.

Nicks has played through injury before, we shouldn't be mad about this because him getting healthy instead of going through camp could be good for him. Less stress on his body.

Prince had the same injury. It will go longer.

BaLLiN
05-25-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/06/prince-amukamara-injury-out-indefinitely_n_920323.html

8/6 was the date that Prince had the injury, debuted November 20th against the eagles. So lets do some math here...

104 days from the surgery date (8/8 i'm pretty sure). So 104/7= 14.857142857142857~15 weeks. Now Prince was actually almost put on the roster for the game the week previous, but knowing that he wasn't adept with the terminology and defense he was not. So there is a case that the rehab would actually be 14 weeks.

The opener on september 5th will be a total of 110 days (~16 weeks) from today (Hakeem's surgery date). So I am not saying that Hakeem will be back, but given previous players with this injury, he will be able to play around that time. Also, there is a possibility that Hakeem could be back even earlier because of that 1 week that Prince wasn't put in the lineup but almost was, and also because he might get better blood supply to the area.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_cb_prince_amukamara_suf.html

Beatty had a similar injury but he was only out for 2 months.

Edit:

Per @adamschefter:
One person familiar with WR Hakeem Nicks' fractured foot said it was more like a "4- to 6-week" injury. Opener vs Dallas still in play.

VAfy-ya
05-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I was reading some of your comments regarding your training staff and I thought I'd pass on this peice I saw on Brandon Jacobs that I thought was a interesting insight into the Giants training methods.

Brandon Jacobs says he hadn't done a squat in six years. This astounds me.

After all, Jacobs is a running back, and you would think that of all the positions groups, running backs would concentrate on building up their legs the most. What's more, he's 6-4, 264 pounds. His game is built on intimidation and power. You'd think he'd want to accentuate that as much as possible. You'd think that he'd be squatzilla.

He hasn't been. Jacobs said the concern when he was with the Giants was that squats - the most basic of all thigh- and butt-building exercises -- wouldn't be good for his knees, so he didn't do them.

But when he arrived with the 49ers, the trainers identified quickness and burst as a shortcoming in his game. Indeed, the critique in New York in recent seasons was that Jacobs has the size and appearance of the ultimate power runner but didn't hit the hole like one and was tripped up in the backfield too often. The 49ers prescribed a regimen of squats, and Jacobs says he notices a difference after only two months.

"My legs already feel a lot stronger," he said. "I'm stronger, I'm more explosive, I'm hitting the hole. I'm just ready to go."

Jacobs said he's slimmer than he was in New York, but he weighs the same. That's due to the muscle he's built up since joining the 49ers, he said. Jacobs turns 30 in July, but he says he's faster than he's been in years.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/brandon-jacobs-didnt-dodoin-squats-in-san-francisco.html

BaLLiN
05-25-2012, 09:45 PM
that is interesting, not sure if i can believe that, but I you do realize you can work the same muscle groups without squats and without putting strain on the knee, right?

VAfy-ya
05-25-2012, 11:16 PM
that is interesting, not sure if i can believe that, but I you do realize you can work the same muscle groups without squats and without putting strain on the knee, right?

Of course there isnt just one singular method to work those muscles but squats are generally considered the more direct approach to increasing explosion and base strength. The fact that Jacobs says he feels the difference already I think point to that. Just thought it was something to ponder, seeing as some you questioned the methods of your training staff after Nicks injury. Not saying squats are better than any other method, just passing along info.

BaLLiN
05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Of course there isnt just one singular method to work those muscles but squats are generally considered the more direct approach to increasing explosion and base strength. The fact that Jacobs says he feels the difference already I think point to that. Just thought it was something to ponder, seeing as some you questioned the methods of your training staff after Nicks injury. Not saying squats are better than any other method, just passing along info.

maybe, most of our injuries are lower body, but I assume that that's how it is across the boards. We'll see if it makes a difference, I think the offensive line is what is/could be the only difference, he never really had the lateral movement.

OSUGiants17
05-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Did I miss anything?
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3013341&#post3013341

bigbluedefense
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but I think we stole Rueben Randle. The more I watch of him, the more I'm surprised he fell so far.

He's actually a lot like a poor man's Vincent Jackson, in terms of how he moves, the routes he runs, his hip movement, etc. He's not a quick slant guy, but he can use that big long body and long strides to go down the field and get open and work the sidelines really well, run some square ins, comebacks, skinny, double moves etc.

OSUGiants17
05-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I agree completely. I know a lot of us wanted Sanu round 2, but I know for me, that was because I never imagined that Randle would be there round 2.

To me, the picks I am most excited about are Randle, Hosely and Robinson. I think Randle is NFL ready and will be a big help. Hosely is just a straight baller that can make plays and I love his ability to make a INT a pick six. Robinson is a project yes, but we don't need him right now and he can still be an immediate red zone threat and will help blocking. Not to mention the fact that I fully trust Pope to get the most out of him.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I was reading some of your comments regarding your training staff and I thought I'd pass on this peice I saw on Brandon Jacobs that I thought was a interesting insight into the Giants training methods.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/brandon-jacobs-didnt-dodoin-squats-in-san-francisco.html

Thanks for the post! I always found this stuff interesting from the days I coached and heard different trainers talk about their various methods for their programs.

I posted this on BBI, another Giants MB.

I remember when I coached I would listen to various trainers and how they would train the players during the off season vs other trainers on other teams.

Usually, you get to see or hear if any one team gets a specific injury that repeats itself over and over. For example, knee injuries or hamstring injuries, and we other teams or programs may not have these occur.

I found that to be an interesting element in football, how perhaps fans may not be aware. I guess, it's football, injuries are part of the game saying is a popular one, however, while injuries are part of the game, some occur on one team more than another.

Usually if a coach sees this trend he may fire the training staff or implement another work out program to help eliminate a certain injury.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Nicks thinks he'll be ready by the start of training camp.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I hope they don't rush him. Let the young guys get more reps. Nicks doesn't need them.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I hope they don't rush him. Let the young guys get more reps. Nicks doesn't need them.

They won't. We're pretty cautious when it comes to injuries.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Nicks
Cruz
Randle
Barden
Jernigan
Hixon
DePalma
Stanback

Those are our 8 WRs heading into this training camp. Let's assume 6 make the team. DePalma and Stanback are most likely not making the team. Which means our 3 backups are Barden, Jernigan, and Hixon.

Not a terrible group of players. Hixon has his injury concerns. Jernigan and Barden have a ton to prove. I guess Barden is gonna survive this year, I don't see how we cut him when that's our depth chart at WR this season.

Jughead10
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
DePalma could make the team. I know he is a favorite amongst some of the coaches for his work during the week. Especially over Barden. Barden's draft status will no longer guarantee him a spot on the team.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm curious to see how our depth chart at LB shakes up.

Boley
Williams
Blackburn
Rivers

I think those 4 are locks to make the roster. The guys on the bubble are Sintim, Herzlich, Jones, Paysinger, Tracy.

I'm curious to see if Sintim has anything left in the tank. I doubt it.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
DePalma could make the team. I know he is a favorite amongst some of the coaches for his work during the week.

His chances of making the team comes down to 2 factors:

1. How terrible Barden looks in training camp.
2. Can he play special teams? Those backend guys have to play special teams, and Barden doesn't which would give DePalma a leg up on him if he's capable of doing it.

Jughead10
05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
His chances of making the team comes down to 2 factors:

1. How terrible Barden looks in training camp.
2. Can he play special teams? Those backend guys have to play special teams, and Barden doesn't which would give DePalma a leg up on him if he's capable of doing it.

I imagine he could, or at least would try. Obviously don't know a whole lot about him, but he did a lot of scout team work.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I imagine he could, or at least would try. Obviously don't know a whole lot about him, but he did a lot of scout team work.

What's the rules for being on the scout team? Can we have him on the scout team for 2 years in a row?

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
What's the rules for being on the scout team? Can we have him on the scout team for 2 years in a row?

From Wiki:

However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad. Games in which a player is listed as the third-string quarterback (a designation that has been abolished as of 2011) do not count as being on the active list

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
He'll probably be a practice squader again then.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
He'll probably be a practice squader again then.

You'd have to worry a little about another team claiming him after the Giants coaching staff has publically lauded him.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
You'd have to worry a little about another team claiming him after the Giants coaching staff has publically lauded him.

Yeah, but it's a risk we have to take. We can't keep em all. Unless he plays out of his mind in camp and during the preseason.

Very quietly, our depth in some key positions are slowly going to disappear. The next couple of drafts are going to be important on not only reshaping our roster, but also replenishing our depth.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah, but it's a risk we have to take. We can't keep em all. Unless he plays out of his mind in camp and during the preseason.

Very quietly, our depth in some key positions are slowly going to disappear. The next couple of drafts are going to be important on not only reshaping our roster, but also replenishing our depth.

I'm also worried that when Ross leaves he's going to poach some of our players.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm also worried that when Ross leaves he's going to poach some of our players.

I'm sure of it. I know if I was an owner and I was trying to rebuild a team from the ground up, the first move I make is hiring Ross as my GM, and the best medical staff, training staff, and scouts money could buy.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll be very shocked if Ross doesn't have a GM job after this year.

bigbluedefense
05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Well...he is black, so you never know. The vp of scouting of the Browns might get a shot before he does.

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
There could be more than 1 open job. Also, you know it's that time of the year when we're discussing where the Head of Scouting may or may not have a job next year.

BaLLiN
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Don't we still have Collins and Julian Talley?

Giantsfan1080
05-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Don't we still have Collins and Julian Talley?

Yeah but hard to expect anything out of them at this point.

Giantsfan1080
05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Run with it Ramses!!

@CBSSportsNFLNYG: Several impressive catches from Ramses Barden at #nyg practice.

bigbluedefense
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Haha, I was waiting for you to post that.

Forenci
05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I think I'm a bit of a Barden supporter too. Not nearly as harsh on him as you guys. Certainly a make or break year, though.

BigBlueNorwegian
05-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Ramses Barden will establish himself as an elite WR this year. Just like Eli did last year after BBD was skeptical the whole pre-season :p One can only hope!

Giantsfan1080
05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Great quote about Kenny P. This is from S coach D. Merritt:

Safety coach Dave Merritt thinks of Kenny Phillips as ideal player for a three-safety set. Then told me a story: "(Jason) Witten told me when I went to the Pro Bowl two years ago when Antrel invited me, Witten said, when 21's in the post, we don't ever try to throw anything deep because we know he can go and get it. He said but if I see anybody else back there, Romo knows, we're going deep. That was comforting for me to hear."

Forenci
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Kenny. <3

Still one of my favorite players. Just a very quiet/great guy. You never hear much about him but he's so damn underrated and is a terrific player, even despite that injury.

Giantsfan1080
05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Kenny. <3

Still one of my favorite players. Just a very quiet/great guy. You never hear much about him but he's so damn underrated and is a terrific player, even despite that injury.

Couldn't agree more. Me and BBD were saying one day without the injury he's probably a top 3 S in the game at this point. Going to be hard to lock him, Nicks, Cruz, and JPP up long term.

OSUGiants17
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Martellus Bennett showed up to OTAs weighing 291lbs. WHAT THE ******* ****! Are you kidding me!

scottyboy
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
too much crunch berries i guess :/

Giantsfan1080
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Ohh please it doesn't matter one bit. People get worked up over the dumbest ****. If the Giants want him at a certain weight when training camp rolls around and he's not there then you can complain.

asdf1223
06-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Osi apparently got a new deal.

http://prod.www.giants.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Osi-Umenyiora-agrees-to-restructured-contract/2e69bdf5-a90c-4617-9ff7-a824a5236a5f

OSUGiants17
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Ohh please it doesn't matter one bit. People get worked up over the dumbest ****. If the Giants want him at a certain weight when training camp rolls around and he's not there then you can complain.
If he was a little over weight I would agree, but the dude is almost 300lbs. That has me worried

http://prod.www.giants.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Osi-Umenyiora-agrees-to-restructured-contract/2e69bdf5-a90c-4617-9ff7-a824a5236a5f

Was about to post this. No details on how long or how much

BigBlueNorwegian
06-01-2012, 04:17 PM

OH YEAH!! That allows us to keep our fearsome pass rush together!! YES!

And this comes one day after Osi fired his agent? Did the agent make this deal before getting fired, or did Osi fire his agent and make the deal himself? If It's the last option, that's awesome!

BigBlueNorwegian
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Martellus Bennett showed up to OTAs weighing 291lbs. WHAT THE ******* ****! Are you kidding me!

WTF?!? Did we sign the JaWalrus Russell of TE's?

scottyboy
06-01-2012, 04:32 PM
he's baaaaaack!!!!

Shane P. Hallam
06-01-2012, 04:32 PM
He did NOT receive a new deal. Only restructured, no years added. He is still a FA after this year.

scottyboy
06-01-2012, 04:33 PM
He did NOT receive a new deal. Only restructured, no years added. He is still a FA after this year.

yes, but it means no more bitching and annoying distractions, especially during training camp and end any possibility of a hold out

OSUGiants17
06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
yes, but it means no more bitching and annoying distractions, especially during training camp and end any possibility of a hold out

Pissed it is just a re-structure, not a new deal, but this is very true. At least he will be quiet this year.

Giantsfan1080
06-01-2012, 07:41 PM
If he was a little over weight I would agree, but the dude is almost 300lbs. That has me worried

Was about to post this. No details on how long or how much

Ballard and Pascoe both played at 280-285 last year.

Giantsfan1080
06-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I was hoping for an extension also but this is still very good news. I'm glad Osi got paid some more and now the Giants got some cap relief. It's like a 1% shane he re-signs next year but you never know.

OSUGiants17
06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
https://twitter.com/drebrown35/status/208611145735618561

Andre Brown's 5 game suspension lifted. I think we keep him or Martinek over Ware as our 4th RB with the other one getting put on the PS

BaLLiN
06-03-2012, 05:18 PM
https://twitter.com/drebrown35/status/208611145735618561

Andre Brown's 5 game suspension lifted. I think we keep him or Martinek over Ware as our 4th RB with the other one getting put on the PS

doubt it, Ware was very good in pass protection last year. Martinek should be kept regardless, but I don't feel that Brown is all that good anymore with the amount of injuries on his legs (how many in college?)

OSUGiants17
06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Can't keep Ware and Martinek. Bradshaw and Wilson are locks, Scott is very likely and then you gotta go with one of Ware, Martinek and Brown. I like Martinek the most since he has so much versatility.

Giantsfan1080
06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I love Rutgers and watched Martinek play for his whole college career. I can't believe so many people are on his wagon. I hope he does well but he's not all that good unless he really steps up his game.

OSUGiants17
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I've heard good things about the dude so far. Ware has disappointed and if they feel he can be a younger version of Ware I say we keep him instead.

Giantsfan1080
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I've heard good things about the dude so far. Ware has disappointed and if they feel he can be a younger version of Ware I say we keep him instead.

I hope he does well but it's just funny that out of all the Rutgers prospects the last 10 years this is the one most Giants fans are edited about.

scottyboy
06-04-2012, 01:03 AM
I love Rutgers and watched Martinek play for his whole college career. I can't believe so many people are on his wagon. I hope he does well but he's not all that good unless he really steps up his game.

I feel the SAME exact way. It's really funny actually.

Probably because he's an undrafted local white boy from Jersey etc.

But like...Martinek's barely done anything at Rutgers. Again, we love him and if he makes the team, the cool beans but we're really just kinda really really surprised at this.

bigbluedefense
06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Soooo, apparently Bennett is ripped like a mule.

I don't know how fast he can be at 290 lbs though. But at a chizzled 290, coupled with his already great blocking ability, I think he can definitely add to our run game this year, he should dish out some punishing blocks out there.

I just don't know how fast he can run at 290. I don't trust him in our passing game anyway, I don't think he's smart enough to succeed in it. But let's see how it goes. He's on a 1 year contract anyway. I wasn't a big Bennett fan, but I'll give him a chance.

Big_Pete
06-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Soooo, apparently Bennett is ripped like a mule.

I don't know how fast he can be at 290 lbs though. But at a chizzled 290, coupled with his already great blocking ability, I think he can definitely add to our run game this year, he should dish out some punishing blocks out there.

I just don't know how fast he can run at 290. I don't trust him in our passing game anyway, I don't think he's smart enough to succeed in it. But let's see how it goes. He's on a 1 year contract anyway. I wasn't a big Bennett fan, but I'll give him a chance.

Coughlin doesn't seem to worried about Bennett’s weight.
“It will get there. He is a guy that obviously has the size to carry whatever weight we would want him to carry. He claims that he has made very good strides in the weight room. And he has. Really since the end of the season, he had been lifting and his size – he played in the 270’s last year. So we will get that under control.”

From all reports Bennett has been working hard power lifting (probably to take advantae of his chance here). e has been working out here, I gues he hasn't done a lot of running yet, but that will happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up around 270 or so. Thats areound the size we had with Boss and Ballard and what guys like Tuck and JPP play at.

He will get hs shot to show what he can do. Hopefully Ballard will be able to come back.

I think Bennett will be solid and has potential to be better. It will be up to see how he goes over the rest of preseason.

Big_Pete
06-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I guess the other thing about Bennett is expectations. I don't expect an all-pro style TE and frankly I don't think we need a top class TE to be effective.

I don't think either Boss or Ballard were anything special as receiving threats. I think both were solid TEs who benefited from our system and working with Eli. I believe Bennett can be at least on par with Boss and Ballard as receiving weapons in the passing game.

I remember the issues with replacing Shockey and then Boss, but we were quite ok.

I can understand the concern about TEs when many fans are used to studs like Bavaro and Shockey, but i think our TE situation is ok.

Now where we do improve is in the running game. Bennett is the best run blocker we have had for some time, probably in the class of blocking TEs like Dan Campbell and Howard Cross. This will really help the ground game.

Having one player like Bennett who can be a solid receiver and good blocker is really going to help our offense. We don't need to send in the 'blocking TE' like Pascoe when we run and the receiving TE like Beckum when we pass. This will help disguise what we are trying to do.

Big_Pete
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I feel the SAME exact way. It's really funny actually.

Probably because he's an undrafted local white boy from Jersey etc.

But like...Martinek's barely done anything at Rutgers. Again, we love him and if he makes the team, the cool beans but we're really just kinda really really surprised at this.

I think Martinek, Ware and Brown are basically competng for the one roster spot.

I think there is anough potential for Scott to stick, particularly if he steps it up as a kick returner.

Giantsfan1080
06-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Tom Coughlin extended through the 2014 season.

OSUGiants17
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I think Martinek, Ware and Brown are basically competng for the one roster spot.

I think there is anough potential for Scott to stick, particularly if he steps it up as a kick returner.
Agreed completely, one of them stays on as a guy who can be our goal-line guy and pick up the blitz. Maybe keep 2 by putting one of them on the PS

Clutch

scottyboy
06-06-2012, 02:23 PM

we keep winning Super Bowls, he can stay til he dies

OSUGiants17
06-06-2012, 03:24 PM
we keep winning Super Bowls, he can stay til he dies

Yea he can! Gilbride and Perry on the otherhad...*in Borat voice* not so much

BigBlueNorwegian
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
We need this coaching staff to stay together for as long as possible. Coughlin can stay as long as he wants. he's won two SBs, he deserves it. Gilbride has to stay as long as Eli is here. It's pointless to change offensive schemes when Eli has mastered Gilbrides schemes, and he's a pretty good co-ordinator. Yes, he drives us insane with the draws from time to time, but there's almost no offensive co-ordinators without flaws out there.

Fewell is on a shorter leash in my book, but he has earned the right to stay for the foreseeable future as well.

Forenci
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Just think, only another two years until everyone wants Coughlin fired. Haha.

OSUGiants17
06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Just think, only another two years until everyone wants Coughlin fired. Haha.

I'll be honest the only reason most of us ever wanted him gone was because we were playing like crap and he would never part ways with his coordinators which is who we really wanted out.

bigbluedefense
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I never really had a problem with Coughlin in particular. I like how Coughlin manages the team.

I just always had a problem with his coordinators, his DC in particular. We're married to Gilbride now, we can't lose him, Eli mastered his offense and we have to run that offense as long as Eli is our qb, and he's not as bad as we think either, he has some brilliant moments as a OC, but also some horrible ones. But overall, he's a solid OC.

But our DCs under Coughlin minus Spags has been dreadful. And bc of that, and his refusal to adjust or hold his DC accountable, I've been very critical of him in the past.

Coughlin is a stud HC as long as he has his DC doing what he's supposed to be doing. When his DC sucks, Coughlin's team underperforms. When his DC is on point, we're as good as any team in the NFL.

Coughlin is a great playoff coach too. Great at forming gameplans in the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Just to make sure I didn't confuse anyone with that post, I love Coughlin. He can stay as our HC as long as he wants.

Forenci
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I'll be honest the only reason most of us ever wanted him gone was because we were playing like crap and he would never part ways with his coordinators which is who we really wanted out.

Haha, I know. I didn't really mean that as a knock to anyone here. More just the typical Giants fan who thought he was a bad coach or something.

scottyboy
06-06-2012, 04:56 PM
2 years? He'll be on the hotseat at halftime against Dallas

NY+Giants=NYG
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Eli is 31st on the NFL network top 100 list.

OSUGiants17
06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Eli is 31st on the NFL network top 100 list.

When will people stop Underrating him? What QBs finished above him?

NY+Giants=NYG
06-06-2012, 09:28 PM
When will people stop Underrating him? What QBs finished above him?

Ben, AR, brady and Brees.

OSUGiants17
06-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Ben, AR, brady and Brees.

Alright that's not that bad, but I still d see how he isn't a top 25 player when he's a top 5 QB in a pass happy league. O and I don't know how Nicks is so low on that list.

Jughead10
06-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Alright that's not that bad, but I still d see how he isn't a top 25 player when he's a top 5 QB in a pass happy league. O and I don't know how Nicks is so low on that list.

The whole list is completely reactionary. Nicks is too low, Cruz is too high.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Plus NFL players are morons.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 08:24 AM
It's all good. I actually would have preferred if the team wasn't getting so much love. We all know the Giants are at their best when they have a chip on their shoulder. We're not a great front running team, we play the underdog card very well.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 08:25 AM
That's more on the defense than the offense though. It seems like the D reads their pub way more than O.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I think it's bc of Eli. Eli is our leader, and he won't let the offense down no matter what. It's more difficult for a singular presence on defense to have that kind of impact on that unit bc there's no equivalent to qb on defense.

Maybe if we had a strong personality at MIKE, but it's still not the same.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Rolle and Tuck are the leaders of the D now. Rolle is a loud guy and Tuck isn't so it's the best of both worlds.

I'm still pumped the happy Osi will be with us this full year now also. It's going to be his Giant going away party all year.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah I'm happy as well. I kinda hoped it wouldve been an extension, but with so many guys coming off the books soon I understand why they cant re-sign him.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm going to miss him but at least it will end on a somewhat high note. We have way too many good players that we need to sign to extensions at this point.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I really want Kenny back. Hopefully we can re-sign him to a reasonable extension. I don't think people realize how good he is. Yes, he's not top 3 like we were hoping after that knee injury, but he's still arguably the 2nd best centerfielder in the league behind Earl Thomas. He lacks some in run support and he's good but not dominant in TE coverage, but as a centerfielder, the guy is lights out.

He single handedly takes away the deep ball when he's back there. That's so vital to any defense. When we throw Rolle in that same role (no pun) it's not even close to the same.

Gotta re-sign Kenny. His height/weight/speed combo coupled with his instincts are second to none.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I really want Kenny back. Hopefully we can re-sign him to a reasonable extension. I don't think people realize how good he is. Yes, he's not top 3 like we were hoping after that knee injury, but he's still arguably the 2nd best centerfielder in the league behind Earl Thomas. He lacks some in run support and he's good but not dominant in TE coverage, but as a centerfielder, the guy is lights out.

He single handedly takes away the deep ball when he's back there. That's so vital to any defense. When we throw Rolle in that same role (no pun) it's not even close to the same.

Gotta re-sign Kenny. His height/weight/speed combo coupled with his instincts are second to none.

Did you see the quote I posted about Phillips about a week ago?

We need him, Cruz, Nicks, JPP, and Linval all signed to extensions relatively soon. I don't know how we're going to keep them all.

scottyboy
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd say JPP is the most important obviously and will command the most money. In terms of importance, i'd say it then goes Nicks, Kenny, cruz, linval. And I was close to putting Kenny ahead of Nicks

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Did you see the quote I posted about Phillips about a week ago?

We need him, Cruz, Nicks, JPP, and Linval all signed to extensions relatively soon. I don't know how we're going to keep them all.

No I didn't, what did it say?

I would hold off on including Joseph on that list just yet. I love Linval, and I think he can become a beast in time, but I want to see him progress before I include him in that territory of guys that we must re-sign. As of right now, he's replacable, he's not a guy that we have to re-sign, but if he can take the next step, then maybe we should start thinking about it.

We have to save money somewhere. We might not even be able to afford re-signing all our DBs and lock up our DEs and DTs long term as well. We probably have to save some money at DT.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd say JPP is the most important obviously and will command the most money. In terms of importance, i'd say it then goes Nicks, Kenny, cruz, linval. And I was close to putting Kenny ahead of Nicks

Excluding JPP, my list is:

1. Nicks
2. Cruz
3. Kenny
4. Jacquan
5. Boley
6. Linval

Again, Linval can jump up a bunch of spots on this list once he shows me he's more than just a 2 gap run stuffer. I think he can elevate his game, I just want to see it first.

scottyboy
06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
we wont need Williams because we're drafting Khaseem Greene in the 3rd this round to replace us and be the best giant ever.

And i love cruz, but I'd put kenny over him. especially if randle pans out

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I actually think it's easier to replace an outside WR in our system than the inside guy. The slot WR is the most important skill position player in the run n shoot. We lucked into Cruz, he's not going to be easy to replace.

Especially since he's the perfect slot WR. He's small, shifty, and strong and can stretch the field. He's like Steve Smith (Carolina). He's arguably more important than Nicks.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Here you go BBD:

Quote:
Safety coach Dave Merritt thinks of Kenny Phillips as ideal player for a three-safety set. Then told me a story: "(Jason) Witten told me when I went to the Pro Bowl two years ago when Antrel invited me, Witten said, when 21's in the post, we don't ever try to throw anything deep because we know he can go and get it. He said but if I see anybody else back there, Romo knows, we're going deep. That was comforting for me to hear."

Also I think Nicks is more important than Cruz but it's really splitting hairs. Linval was a monster in the playoffs and played a huge role in helping the defense look as good as it did. I'm confident in saying he's going to be a major player for us this year. I wouldn't put Williams on the list just yet even though I feel he's really going to develop as well.

OSUGiants17
06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
We need to keep Kenny. If he never got hurt he would be a top 5 S in the league, instead he just flies under the radar.

bigbluedefense
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Here you go BBD:

Quote:

Also I think Nicks is more important than Cruz but it's really splitting hairs. Linval was a monster in the playoffs and played a huge role in helping the defense look as good as it did. I'm confident in saying he's going to be a major player for us this year. I wouldn't put Williams on the list just yet even though I feel he's really going to develop as well.

Awesome. Good to know other teams see Kenny for what he is.

Honestly, Nicks and Cruz are both must re-signs. We need to keep both of them as long as possible.

Forenci
06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm going to miss him but at least it will end on a somewhat high note. We have way too many good players that we need to sign to extensions at this point.

I will miss him but honestly the timing is probably for the best. Osi is still a good/great player but I feel it's only a matter of time before he breaks down with his knees.

Giantsfan1080
06-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I will miss him but honestly the timing is probably for the best. Osi is still a good/great player but I feel it's only a matter of time before he breaks down with his knees.

And Osi admitted as much to the public. It is the right time but I love Osi and he is and always will be a great Giant.

bigbluedefense
06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
You know what's weird? Typically, your 1st round pick generates the most buzz around this time of year.

But for us, Rueben Randle has generated a lot more buzz. I wonder if that's a bc Randle is that good, or if Wilson is underwhelming? Or is it a mix of both?

Or am I just reading into this too much bc it's a boring offseason?

Giantsfan1080
06-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Reading to much in to it.

BigBlueNorwegian
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
You know what's weird? Typically, your 1st round pick generates the most buzz around this time of year.

But for us, Rueben Randle has generated a lot more buzz. I wonder if that's a bc Randle is that good, or if Wilson is underwhelming? Or is it a mix of both?

Or am I just reading into this too much bc it's a boring offseason?

I think you are reading too much into it, but at the same time it is very positive to hear about the good reports on Randle.

And isn't it kinda hard to tell from non-contact training sessions if a RB is going to succeed or not? I'm asking because the Giants have never had an early-round RB in camp for as long as I've been a fan :)

OSUGiants17
06-08-2012, 03:32 PM
You're reading too much into it. I've heard good things about both of them and Robinson. They always focus on one guy and a WR from the #2 team in the country who played in the National Championship is going to be much more popular than Wilson, especially since he is considered one of the biggest steals. Not to take anything away from either of them, I'm just saying is all.

BigBlueNorwegian
06-10-2012, 08:50 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--giants-burgeoning-star-jason-pierre-paul-proving-to-be-a-student-of-the-game.html;_ylt=Aluhag2Lgh4jjsNQ5gGht8dDubYF

Great story on JPP!

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 02:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--giants-burgeoning-star-jason-pierre-paul-proving-to-be-a-student-of-the-game.html;_ylt=Aluhag2Lgh4jjsNQ5gGht8dDubYF

Great story on JPP!

I am so excited for this kid, I think he can break Strahan's record before he retires. Dude has a hell of a motor and loves to learn. Dude's the man

bigbluedefense
06-10-2012, 02:23 PM
If JPP can stay healthy, we have a very special player on our hands. Hopefully he can stay healthy throughout his career, bc if he does, watch out.

scottyboy
06-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a prospect than I was JPP.

And I am certainly ok with that.

Right behind him is Chris Houston. I loved Chris Houston

bigbluedefense
06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I loved Chris Houston too.

I think my biggest miss was Vernon Gholston. And Brady Quinn. I was fully convinced that Quinn was the next Tom Brady. Yikes.

Forenci
06-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a prospect than I was JPP.

And I am certainly ok with that.

Right behind him is Chris Houston. I loved Chris Houston

I remember bitching at you about how it was a good pick on draft day, haha. At least you've accepted him as a legit Giants player!

I loved Chris Houston too.

I think my biggest miss was Vernon Gholston. And Brady Quinn. I was fully convinced that Quinn was the next Tom Brady. Yikes.

Ouch. I hated Brady Quinn. And Clausen. Never understood the hype for either player.

But I'm usually wrong about 90% of other prospects. I don't know why, but I usually have a good feel for QBs.

bigbluedefense
06-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I remember bitching at you about how it was a good pick on draft day, haha. At least you've accepted him as a legit Giants player!

Ouch. I hated Brady Quinn. And Clausen. Never understood the hype for either player.

But I'm usually wrong about 90% of other prospects. I don't know why, but I usually have a good feel for QBs.

I hated Clausen. I just fell for the Charlie Weiss hype with Brady Quinn. I fell for it big time. I'm usually pretty good with quarterbacks, but I missed bad on Quinn.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I think my biggest misses where Gholston, Sinorice and Ginn Jr. I thought Ginn would be a solid #2, I thought he was reached on, but I thought he would still pan out. I thought Sinorice would become something special for us along with Smith but sadly it was only Smith. O and Gholston looked like he would be a stud but boy was I wrong, what a waste of athleticism and raw strength.

bigbluedefense
06-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Bobby Carpenter was another big miss of mine. That was when I was kind of new at evaluating college players though.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Yea all of my misses came early in my draft watching. I usually don't scout a lot of players, just ones I think will fall to wherever we pick.

bigbluedefense
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm still upset that we drafted Phillip Dillard over Geno Atkins

:(

And I loved Jimmy Graham too but I knew we wouldn't draft him bc we took Beckum the year before.

I mean, I can't complain obviously, but can you imagine if we had both of those guys on our team right now? Forget it.

I didn't think Gronk would be this good though. I took him off my personal board bc of his perceived back problems in the draft.

I was also wrong about Sean Lee.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Yea I'm so pissed we ever drafted Beckum. Not only did he bust, but prevented is from taking Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, Moeaki, Pitta and Dickson. That was a helluva TE class, one of the best ever.

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 08:47 PM
There's really no guarantee we take any of those guys anyway even without Beckum.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Obviously, but having him proved that we had interest in a TE and had we not drafted him we would have been much more likely to take one of them.

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
David Diehl got a DUI tonight. Wish he called a cab.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Wish he would have called me, I'd have gladly driven the guy.

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah it sucks. Very surprised.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm sure Coughlin will be pissed

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't remember what we did when McKenzie got one but I'm sure it will be the same punishment.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Yea he'll make an example out of him that's for sure. Coughlin is one man I would never want to piss off, right up their with Brock Lesnar and Casey Anthony.

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't think he'll make an example of him. There's probably a team policy already in place and it will fall in line with that. Did Kareem even miss a game?

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
O I'm not saying we'll hear about it or it will be a suspension or anything, but he'll probably yell at him in front of the team and do something infront of the team.

Giantsfan1080
06-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah that might be possible. He hit 4 parked cars according to Miked Up so sounds like he was way over the limit.

OSUGiants17
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Ugh...that's bad man. 1 car would have been bad enough, but 4?!?! At least they where parked and he didn't hit a moving car with anyone in it.

scottyboy
06-11-2012, 03:51 AM
dammit DD. one of my favorites. would never have expected this from him

bigbluedefense
06-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah I'm disappointed. Didn't expect that from Diehl. He'll be ok though.

I'm glad this happened now, instead of during the season. It's a reminder to the team to stay focused. We don't need another Burress situation. Hopefully this is a wakeup call to the rest of the team.

Jughead10
06-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh thats bad. 4 parked cars? I bet he does get benched the first game. At least the first half. I know this is his first strike, but its a bad one. They might want to come out and suspend him one game just so the NFL doesn't get involved. They prefer the teams take care of this crap even if the punishment is just slightly less than they would have given. They only really get involved when teams drag their feet.

bigbluedefense
06-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Beatty and Brewer in at OT vs the Cowboys to open the season?

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
He blew a .18.

Jughead10
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
He blew a .18.

Soft. And he hit 4 cars? You think he'd be able to handle his crap better.

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Yeah I thought it would be something outrageous if he was hitting parked cars. I can't believe this all happened because of a Euro Cup Match.

Jughead10
06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah I thought it would be something outrageous if he was hitting parked cars. I can't believe this all happened because of a Euro Cup Match.

Oh thats right. He's super proud of his Croatian heritage.

OSUGiants17
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Agreed, that's pretty bad. I would hate to see him at .24 like Blackmon

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1093553.1339438020!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

Damix
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Ballard officially out for the year, Bernard resigned.

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Ballard officially out for the year, Bernard resigned.

We actually waived Ballard.

LTgiants
06-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Doesn't he end up going on IR if he is unclaimed?

Giantsfan1080
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Doesn't he end up going on IR if he is unclaimed?

Yes most likely unless they come to an injury settlement. I don't know why they couldn't just place him directly on IR though.

Also the DT competition should be very fun to watch this year. Canty, Joseph, Austin, Rogers, Bernard, Kuhn, and Hendricks.

bigbluedefense
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
He actually scores points with me for watching the Euro Cup.

OSUGiants17
06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829bd894/article/jake-ballard-waived-after-failing-giants-physical?module=HP11_headline_stack

Article on Ballard being waived

Rosebud
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Reggie Nelson, S
Jamal Anderson, DL
Chris Houston, CB
Bobby Carpenter, LB
AJ Hawk, LB
Aaron Curry, LB
Tim Tebow, QB (if he doesn't stop sucking)
Josh Freeman, QB (if he goes back to not sucking)

Those are my biggest wiffs that come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty others and a few like Beatty and Barden that still may prove themselves huge wiffs.

OSUGiants17
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Yea I whiffed big on Reggie Nelson too, I wanted him over Ross

Rosebud
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1093553.1339438020!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

Not to take away from how terrible a thing this DUI is, cause that was horribly irresponsible of him, but as an avid soccer fan who's always had a soft spot for the croats, I can't help but love something about this picture.

Rosebud
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Yea I whiffed big on Reggie Nelson too, I wanted him over Ross

Yeah, I totally underestimated what a fucktard he is. Still pretty effect if all he has to do is centerfield, but the kid looked like a hard hitting Ed Reed for Florida.

OSUGiants17
06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I totally underestimated what a fucktard he is. Still pretty effect if all he has to do is centerfield, but the kid looked like a hard hitting Ed Reed for Florida.

He looked so good at Florida, I still don't understand how he ****** up so bad

vidae
06-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Go Gmen!!!

Damix
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Yes most likely unless they come to an injury settlement. I don't know why they couldn't just place him directly on IR though.

Also the DT competition should be very fun to watch this year. Canty, Joseph, Austin, Rogers, Bernard, Kuhn, and Hendricks.

Waived/injured is the same thing as putting IR in the offseason IIRC. Made the rule so teams wouldn't just stash players on IR in the offseason.

bigbluedefense
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm really curious to see what Bennett brings to the table this year. I'm hoping for a punishing blocker with decent receiving ability, but I'm expecting a great blocker with poor route running/hands.

I don't know if Bennett has the smarts to excel in our passing game. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

Giantsfan1080
06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Waived/injured is the same thing as putting IR in the offseason IIRC. Made the rule so teams wouldn't just stash players on IR in the offseason.

Still has to clear waivers though before they are placed on IR.

Damix
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Still has to clear waivers though before they are placed on IR.

Right, so a player is exposed to waivers instead of going straight to IR.

OSUGiants17
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
That's not as bad then, I like Ballard a lot.

Also, I hate Tuck's new facemask:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552981_10151047580568455_1463904274_n.jpg

Giantsfan1080
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't care what he's wearing as long as it stops players from holding up and turning his neck like they were last year. If this keeps him healthier than I 100% love it.