PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

bigbluedefense
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Even if they're not 100%, they're still potent. Coe is not ready for Austin. Our front is gonna have to dominate, but I expect Dallas to put up points.

They'll have a healthy Murray for the first time against us too. That's gonna make a big difference. Murray is very good when healthy.

And we're due for a loss vs the Cowboys. We've owned them since 07. They're due to have the ball bounce their way. That worries me.

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't believe a team is ever due for a win or loss against a particular team.

Rosebud
09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't believe a team is ever due for a win or loss against a particular team.

We'd have beaten the Eagles by now if that were how it worked.

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Exactly the Eagles have pretty much owned us except for the 1 game last year but I still don't ever feel like we're due for a W against them.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Anyone know any good fantasy football money league websites I can join?

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Anyone know any good fantasy football money league websites I can join?

I think you can do money leagues on Yahoo now but not sure how it works. Also, fanduel.com does stuff for money but again not sure how that works.

BaLLiN
09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought that Austin was injured? Also I highly doubt that Witten plays. That hamstring injury of Austin is reoccurring it seems so I don't think that he'll be very effective.

Ratliff seems like a big loss, but is this the ratliff of old or the stinky one from the last few seasons?

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Austin is healthy and has been putting in full practices, but as you said it's another hammy issue he's getting over and we all know how that goes for WR's. He's going to start the game healthy but 1 deep route could aggravate it and he's back out again. Just hard to say, but at least starting the game he won't be limited.

Witten may suit up as I've said all along because he's a warrior but he won't be effective as anything more then a blocker at best, but I highly doubt he plays whether he dresses or not. Dez is 100% and good to go, but no Ratliff hurts. Even if he's not playing at a pro bowl level our depth there is bad and has been for years nows so I'm concerned about that in regards to stopping the run.

bigbluedefense
09-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Austin is healthy and has been putting in full practices, but as you said it's another hammy issue he's getting over and we all know how that goes for WR's. He's going to start the game healthy but 1 deep route could aggravate it and he's back out again. Just hard to say, but at least starting the game he won't be limited.

Witten may suit up as I've said all along because he's a warrior but he won't be effective as anything more then a blocker at best, but I highly doubt he plays whether he dresses or not. Dez is 100% and good to go, but no Ratliff hurts. Even if he's not playing at a pro bowl level our depth there is bad and has been for years nows so I'm concerned about that in regards to stopping the run.

I wouldn't worry about stopping the run vs us. Our run game blows. This game ultimately is gonna be our WRs vs your CBs on one side, and your DL vs your OL on the other side.

Those 2 battles will determine the game.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about stopping the run vs us. Our run game blows. This game ultimately is gonna be our WRs vs your CBs on one side, and your DL vs your OL on the other side.

Those 2 battles will determine the game.

David Wilson. Telling you right now he's going to break a few big ones loose. We just struggle vs those types of backs, and if he's given the carries/touches he's going to be the x-factor IMO. Plus he's the type who doesn't need very good run blocking anyway, if he's patient he'll make his own lanes. I don't know why but I see him having a huge game.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Wilson will probably get no more than 10-12 touches this game.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Ratliff OUT, Witten DOUBTFUL, Jenkins QUESTIONABLE

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Yup that's what we knew all week pretty much! Hopefully Austin is slowed a little by the hamstring.

Fewell needs to bring the pain tomorrow night.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Prince, Austin & Brewer OUT for Giants

bigbluedefense
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
David Wilson. Telling you right now he's going to break a few big ones loose. We just struggle vs those types of backs, and if he's given the carries/touches he's going to be the x-factor IMO. Plus he's the type who doesn't need very good run blocking anyway, if he's patient he'll make his own lanes. I don't know why but I see him having a huge game.

I don't see Wilson seeing any real action in games until halfway through the season. I can see maybe 5 to 7 touches this game, but that's about it.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
We just freed up 3 million in cap space in a Snee restructure. Possibly Reese power move coming?

Jughead10
09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
We just freed up 3 million in cap space in a Snee restructure. Possibly Reese power move coming?

We were 700K over the cap. Had to get under by tomorrow.

Forenci
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
So excited for tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to see any pre-season games of the Giants so I'm that much more excited about getting to see them play tomorrow.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
We were 700K over the cap. Had to get under by tomorrow.

I know but we still opened more room than we really had to. McKinnie?

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
So excited for tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to see any pre-season games of the Giants so I'm that much more excited about getting to see them play tomorrow.

I'm excited also but it's throwing me off that the game is on a Wednesday.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Never mind on McKinnie he just re-signed.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
NY Post cover:

http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/jpg4/lg/NY_NYP.jpg

Jughead10
09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
NY Post cover:

http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/jpg4/lg/NY_NYP.jpg

I'm regretting not saying anything to Rex.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I think Nicks is going to have a big game tomorrow night if they put Claiborne on him.

BaLLiN
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I think Nicks is going to have a big game tomorrow night if they put Claiborne on him.

i don't see why they wouldn't put Carr on him if he looks healthy. I think they put scandrick on Cruz again if Jenkins isn't good enough to go.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Claiborne is their #2 no?

BaLLiN
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Claiborne is their #2 no?

yeah but I was talking about when Cruz goes to slot, I don't think they would put Scandrick on the outside, and if so I would throw at him then.

Another thing is, did you guys see America's game? I liked it a lot but I thought it was too short. Guess I'm spoiled.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Just finished watching. Shame it's only an hour.

Jughead10
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Just finished watching. Shame it's only an hour.

I wasn't aware some reverend ripped off Fassell.

Giantsfan1080
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Where did that come from?

Pope is going to take a lot of **** for that once scene haha.

BaLLiN
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I wasn't aware some reverend ripped off Fassell.

with the poker chip? I don't remember that but i was 8 in 2000

Jughead10
09-04-2012, 11:00 PM
with the poker chip? I don't remember that but i was 8 in 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ab2pnlWkd4

LTgiants
09-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Is anyone going Wednesday?

I will be going tomorrow http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-05-2012, 06:32 AM
GAMEDAY!!! Soo excited for the start of the season!!! As per usual with night games, I'm only going to get two hours of sleep due to the game, so the Giants better win!! Or else I will be super grumpy on Thursday!!

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I will be going tomorrow http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.

Awesome me also. Enjoy!

OSUGiants17
09-05-2012, 10:00 AM
CANT ******* WAIT! I'm beyond amped. Wish I could go, but I'm away at school otherwise I would be there

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Bill Cowher is the 60 Minutes of NFL head coaches, which explains why so many white, middle-aged, entitled-feeling Giants fans adore him so much.

Haha.

http://deadspin.com/5940567/why-your-team-sucks-2012-new-york-giants

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Haven't checked yet but I assume BBI can't be too happy about some of the comments on our white middle aged fans.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Haven't checked yet but I assume BBI can't be too happy about some of the comments on our white middle aged fans.

Nope everyone thought Deadspin went easy on us.

Rosebud
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
The Giants are the German NT of American Football. Whiny, unsatisfiable fans and all.

Compared to the other ones I've read, they were damn right respectful of the giants.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Loved this one:

The Giants are undoubtedly the team of the surburban frat crowd AND the smarmy Manhattan pseudo-fan crowd, so that our fan base is an unholy mix of bros from Westchester, Long Island and New Jersey who went to Lehigh, Hofstra, Monmouth or Quinnipiac for undergrad (if they are a legacy they wound up at Georgetown , Cornell or Dartmouth), love pounding natty light in their topsiders and lacoste polos even though they are 34 with children. All of them were friends with at least one member of the Duke Lacrosse team during the whole rape scandal. These bros probably played high school soccer or lax, are as waspy as it comes, and love yelling out "Eeeeliiii" and holding up their solo cup of Bud Light (they call it "BL") like hes their ******* frat brother every time he makes a good play. It might go without saying, but they wear backwards fitted caps and feature an unusually high number of Mets fans (I don't understand this phenomenon but its true). Piazza? They love LT even though they never saw him play and the over/under for college date rapes is 3.7 per year of school.

The Manhattanites, despite liking football, secretly wish the masses werent so into it, so they don't come to many games but instead support the Giants because they are perceived as the more civilized football team in New York, unlike the working class goobmas who love the Jets. These people are lawyers and make gobs of money and when the Giants suck they disappear like bed bugs and spend all winter at Lincoln Center or Broadway shows, only to re-emerge when the scent of "winning" returns. They "summer" in Rhode Island, Long Island or in Cape May (nowhere north of Atlantic City).

Also, "Blah blah the Mara's are the best, most morally upstanding family in the history of people post-Christ, blah ******* blah." Being rich is ******* easy. You hang out, donate money to children's hospitals and not offend anyone publicly. Lets not start acting like just because they arent the Koch brothers the Mara's are all collectively deserving of sainthood. They're still part of the unholy owners alliance that actively ***** both the fans and the players every chance they get.

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Nope everyone thought Deadspin went easy on us.

Deadspin did. But the fans in the comments were a little rough on the wine and cheese down in front crowd.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Deadspin did. But the fans in the comments were a little rough on the wine and cheese down in front crowd.

Naa even the fans were pretty tame. I expected a lot more Eli hate/goofball stuff.

There was only one email from a fan that bothered me somewhat.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm watching the 2007 video and I forgot how well Madison played for us that year. Very good signing by Accorsi that went under the radar a bit because he was an older player.

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm watching the 2007 video and I forgot how well Madison played for us that year. Very good signing by Accorsi that went under the radar a bit because he was an older player.

Are you still at work? Are you drinking yet?

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Are you still at work? Are you drinking yet?

I'm off all week. Not drinking yet since I have to drive up to the stadium and then into Hoboken afterwards.

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm off all week. Not drinking yet since I have to drive up to the stadium and then into Hoboken afterwards.

Soft! I bet you won't even tear your ACL attempting to fight a Cowboys fan.

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Soft! I bet you won't even tear your ACL attempting to fight a Cowboys fan.

Haha not tonight. I hear those Bucs fans can get real rowdy though!

bigbluedefense
09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I thought they went easy on us.

Game day! Can't wait. And I have a fantasy draft in the middle of the game. The genius that runs my league decided to do that.

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I thought they went easy on us.

Game day! Can't wait. And I have a fantasy draft in the middle of the game. The genius that runs my league decided to do that.

Is he a Cowboys fan?

bigbluedefense
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Is he a Cowboys fan?

Actually, I don't even know. Not sure who he roots for. It's a work league that was cooked up literally today. Which means we'll start from week 2 onward.

D-Unit
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Is he a Cowboys fan?
Don't think he is, unless he is a dumb one who doesn't want to watch his own team play.

LOL... It's always gotta be a Cowboys fan's fault in everything.. huh? :lol:

Too funny. You guys are a blast! Let's enjoy the game and razz each other to endless misery! :beers:

scottyboy
09-05-2012, 05:07 PM
so many hot girls walking around in giants jerseys today. god bless football season

bigbluedefense
09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Yeah, half of them are just seeking attention.

But its all good though. Im not complaining

Forenci
09-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I can't even describe my excitement. I can't wait to see the team. So many interesting players and things to unfold this season. How Barden does, how Randle develops. What doe Black Unicorn give us? How does the O-Line manage? And a lot more.

I'm pumped. It doesn't feel like the season is beginning though. It's crazy.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
so many hot girls walking around in giants jerseys today. god bless football season

:drool: That sounds awesome. My future girlfriend is going to be forced to walk around in jerseys, whether she likes it or not!!!

Rosebud
09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't think scotty meant just jerseys.

BaLLiN
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I think they hit the nail on the head with the fairweather giants fans. Whenever I hear a Jets fan trying to rationalize rooting for the Giants I am speechless...WE DO NOT LIKE EACHOTHER!

Also why is Vanilla ice on NFL Network...

Forenci
09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Gah, Wilson. I said it before, but his ball security is going to be the main thing keeping him from getting more touches.

Jughead10
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Too many runs. Still terrible at running the ball. Should have let Eli take the game over earlier.

OSUGiants17
09-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Cant get any worse from here. Our CBs are heinous, the Refs were atrocious, Cruz couldn't catch a cold tonight, Ogeltree decides he can catch and our OL is not built for run blocking. We needed to pass more tonight

OSUGiants17
09-05-2012, 11:09 PM
More than anything, I'm just pissed it was the Cowboys. If we lost tonight playing like this to any team other than the Cowboys or Eagles I wouldn't care at all. This game means nothing

Witten4HOF
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Good game.. clearly both teams have some rust to shake off and the amount of injuries don't help. Def would have been different if Cruz caught those open passes. Scandrick continues to have trouble manning up when VC moves into the slot and I was surprised the team didn't take more advantage of that matchup.

The injuries in the secondary didn't help your cause either.. I don't know how high I'll get on Ogletree until a see him against a healthy group. D-line (with the exception of JPP GOOD LORD) seemed to wear down because of the lack of depth.

Bennett looks like he will be an asset for your team as an extra blocker and emergency outlet, Cruz will turn it around and Nicks looked healthy. Coughlin will clean it up on offense but defense might be scetchy until you get some of the wounded warriors back.

I expect a much different game in Big D.

CowboysBeastMode
09-05-2012, 11:55 PM
I think the giants were a victim of their own success. too many times they were undisciplined with maintaining their rush lanes and concentrating too much on trying to get pressure up the middle and they allowed romo to do what he does best and make plays outside the pocket.

idk what the giants are gonna about their secondary, b/c if kevin ogletree goes for 100+ yards and 2 tds u have serious problems. Perry fewell has his work cut out for him

Giantsfan1080
09-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Line is terrible. Wilson worries me. Never seen Webster get burned like that the last 5 years. Ogletree wow.

Forenci
09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Yeah we are not meant to run the ball. Bradshaw isn't the answer. He is a straight line runner now. If Wilson can hold onto the ball I'd have more faith in running because he can make things happen with his speed but I just don't know if we can trust him.

It might be a long season with Fewell and Gilbride.

Rosebud
09-06-2012, 12:22 AM
On the bright side if things somehow don't get any better, we may finally get to replace Fewell...and after another year with somebody even worse than Fewell, we might get spags back and then it'll be about time for another run.

But to be honest I'm not that upset. I know it's the cowboys, in jersey, on national TV. But the season is long, when push comes to shove Coughlin pull Fewell's head out of his ass long enough for the D to step up, Eli will do the same for Gilbride, and we'll start playing up to our talent again.

DL was sloppy but was still blowing up the Dallas OL, even with the thin DTs. LBs made plays, for the first time in a long time the LBs are not one of my biggest concerns. Secondary was the sloppiest part of the D. I can't remember the last time Webster had a game that rough, even the VJax game, it was just one receiver. We need Prince back, but once we get him back it'll just be a question of when Fewell stops doing is dumb Perry Fewell things.

O was pathetic at running the ball, but we kept on keeping on with it because it is the 80's again and the receivers dropped too many passes. I do gotta say that our pass blocking wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so when we do start to have to give up on the run more we might not be as screwed as the coaching staff seems to believe we will be.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-06-2012, 03:50 AM
The only three things that really worried me about this game was Cruz, our DBs and the lack of capitalizing on opportunities.

-Cruz, what the **** happened?? I hope this was just an aberration, a botched game, the exception to the rule. But he looked so terribly unfocused all game long. And it wasn't just the drops. he sucked at run blocking too, and had a false start. Those kind of things can't happen over the course of the season. Without Cruz as a potent threat we will be royally ******. Hixon just isn't good enough, his long catch was good, but other than that he got no separation at all. Randle need to start taking over sooner rather than later.

-The DBs, where do I even start? Coe did okay for what we could expect, but of course he got injured. Tryon should never see any work outside special teams, that much is clear after yesterday. Did Hosley even play? I couldn't see him out there. The most concerning thing though, was Webster. Much like Cruz on offense, if he has a full season of yesterdays playing standard, we will be royally ******. Because then we will have no reliable CBs(we don't know if Prince is good enough yet).

-And failing to take advantage of the countless of opportunities the Cowboys gave us, that was weak. They had a gazillion penalties, but we couldn't get off the field. When we got a drive going in the first half, Wilson fumbled. We couldn't get in from three yards after the INT. We didn't capitalize when they turned it over on downs. The list goes on and on. If we don't start taking advantage of stuff like this, we will lose a lot of games this season. Because our schedule is really tough, and opposing teams will take advantage.

I thought Eli played well, all things considered. And our front seven was okay for most of the night, until they got worn out from being on the field too much for the second half. JPP was a beast as usual.

I am also worried about Blackburn. He didn't play good last night. Was out of position a lot against runs IMO, and he's so damn slow, it hurts.

And despite the fumble, I still want us to use Wilson extensively. Bradshaw already looks a bit heavy and slow, though the O-line didn't exactly open any holes for him either. But Bradshaw will be totally worn down by week 10, if he isn't already injured by then(which is highly probable), if he keeps getting that much of the workload.

Overall, I'm not going to panic yet. But if the three main trends I listed keeps on showing themselves over the course of the next month, I will go into panic mode.

BamaFalcon59
09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Is Hosley still injured? No doubt would he have performed better than Tryon did last night.

Jughead10
09-06-2012, 07:15 AM
How about we make this game up by actually beating the Redskins this year.

Jughead10
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
You know what we were missing last night? WARE DRAW from the 2 yard line.

LonghornsLegend
09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey guys, didn't come to gloat or anything, just to say it was a good game, just has to be tough to swallow considering your DB depth during the game. It started bad, and got worse. After awhile Romo was just audibling out to whoever Tryon was on(who I'm sure is strictly a special teams guy), and expecting him to come in off little practice time and cover Austin is asking for a lot. I'm not even sure who the 3rd and 4th CB's were by then.

The Cruz drops do hurt, but once you got so thin at Corner it's tough to overcome that for 4 quarters. I was actually wanting to get a look at Prince and see how he fared vs Austin, but maybe next time. I guess that's how Coughlin rolls with the rookies playing little, but seems strange you couldn't throw Randle in a red zone package at least, and let Wilson try to break a big play for a spark. I think those guys have the natural talent, sometimes it's best to just let that take over.

None the less, look forward to the next match-up, opening week both teams were rusty and banged up.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Bottom line: The Cowboys thoroughly outplayed the Giants and deserved to win. That's it. Props to the Cowboys. They wanted it more, they were more physical, they played with more intensity, and they executed better.

The Giants came out flat, didn't play with a lot of emotion. Poor execution. Mental mistakes, drops, just not in sync. I understand injuries hurt us this game, but Dallas was hurt too. Not an excuse.

Like I said in the week 1 thread, hopefully this was a wakeup call for the Giants. They felt a little too good about themselves all offseason. This should wake them up. Last year was last year. It's time to wake up and play with more intensity and focus.

Also, that 3rd WR desperately needs to emerge. Nicks is not healthy at all, he can't explode off the line so he was a non factor last night, and our 3rd WR got no separation outside 1 play by Hixon. We need that 3rd WR to emerge or else it's gonna be a long season.

Nicks needs to get healthy asap. Ditto for Prince and Hosely. If our secondary doesn't get healthy and if Nicks doesn't get healthy, its gonna be a long season.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Our situational play calling still sucks! Running the ball twice in the red zone was pathetic. Most teams want to put the ball in their QBs hand. What's the use of having a good QB if we aren't going to allow him to throw the ball in the red zone?

Did we actually think magically this piss poor OL will create a running lane from a few yards out and score? I knew once Boley got knocked out that it would be tough to score.

scottyboy
09-06-2012, 10:18 AM
we played like dog ****.

can't capitalize on the Boley pick? The fumbles, Cruz's drops, injuries at CB. It's brutal. Bring Bing back.

ok, that probably won't help but man, when we're on Tryon out there for more than hail mary D, we're screwed. We did not look good. I know we need to try and run some but good god let Eli sling the ball around, will you guys?

Giantsfan1080
09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Coe got abused on slants.

That 2nd down play call with Bradshaw was horrific.

Forenci
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Yeah. I don't care what anyone says. I will always hate Gilbride. Not only is his overall system extremely complex and aged, but his situational play calling is god awful.

I know BBD says that we're attached to Gilbride at the hip because its the only offense Eli knows, but I wouldn't bat an eyelash to get rid of him.

Rosebud
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm really torn with Gilbride because I understand the appeal of the system, hell the idea behind it is simply awesome, especially with a QB as smart as Eli to run it. But his play calling really pisses me off a lot and the stupidity of your average NFL player makes the system so hard to implement consistently. What makes it worse is how amazing we look when Eli takes over the play calling and we go no huddle. Why we can't just do that more is a question that haunts me.

Just like why Fewell needs **** to start going really bad before he simplifies his coverages and attacks. It's even worse with Fewell because my first exposure to him was in Buffalo, where **** would hit the fan in preseason, and he so did a great job simplifying and adjusting to the lesser talent he had to work with. The man's a good DC when he has to be, but give him too much talent to work with and he suddenly feels the need to be Bill Belicheck or Rex Ryan. I wonder whether the greater exposure and subsequent rooney-rule interviews have affected Fewell the way you sometimes see with OCs trying too hard to be innovative to get a HC gig.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
It's easy to pin it on Gilbride when we lose. But you have to have an open mind. Go back and watch that game over again. You'll see that:

1. Hakeem Nicks was a decoy. The man had absolutely no ability to separate, he had no explosion, he was useless out there. So Eli was without his #1 WR.

2. Cruz had a bad day. Too many drops, and with Nicks a decoy, the defense was able to key in on Cruz.

3. Hixon was penciled in as our #3 bc of his reliability. But he's just not good anymore. So 2 out of Eli's 3 WRs were never open.

4. Our OL sucks.

What is Gilbride supposed to do? I can make the argument that he should have ran less, and used Barden instead of Hixon as our #3. But other than that, you can't really say much. We're just banged up right now, and we have to figure out who that 3rd WR threat is gonna be on offense. And until Nicks gets healthy, our offense is in trouble.

It's on the players. We gotta get healthy, we gotta block better, and we need that 3rd WR to emerge, which hasn't happened yet.

It's week 1, the sky isn't falling yet. The Giants got too comfortable in the offseason. You saw it with the lack of intensity in this game. Hopefully this was a wake up call.

And we need our DBs to get healthy. All Romo did was locate Coe/Tryon, and audible to throw at them. We were done for from the start.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
The only problem I had with Gilbride was the play calling after the Boley INT. Besides that it's just execution.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't think anyone here is really in panic mode after 1 game.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah I didn't like the playcalling there either, but I don't think he expected those 2 runs to get so blown up there either. Plus an obvious blown call on 3rd and goal wouldve put us 1st and goal on the 1, and I'm sure we would have punched it in.

It happens.

I'm more concerned about our DB health. That's a problem guys. We can't have Coe and Tryon out there. We need Prince back asap. And Hosely needs to get out there.

FreshBoy!
09-08-2012, 03:07 PM
And we need our DBs to get healthy. All Romo did was locate Coe/Tryon, and audible to throw at them. We were done for from the start.

He actually went at Webster more....and was actually more successful in the process.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
He actually went at Webster more....and was actually more successful in the process.

In the first half they went after Webster some vs Bryant. I'm not gonna kill Webster for that bc Dez is a hard cover. But the 2nd half, when you guys scored a ton, Webster was barely targeted. It was Coe and Tryon all day.

The first half we only gave up 7 points if I remember correctly. Webster did fine considering who he had to cover.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
He didn't go at Webster more it just turned out when he did go that way Webster was awful and no where near the WR.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Webster has difficulty with large WRs. Dez will give him a hard time, so will his arch nemesis, Vincent Jackson, who he goes against this week. VJax was one of the few who could get open on Webster, which concerns me in week 2.

I have less faith in Freeman to make the plays vs Romo though. But it is a concern.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Yup it's definitely who he struggles with. We just need our pass rush to disrupt Freeman's tempo.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:14 PM
We're also going against our own offense this week bc the Bucs are running it now under Schiano. So we should be able to confuse Freeman and his WRs with some disguises if Fewell doesn't go full ****** on us.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
We're also going against our own offense this week bc the Bucs are running it now under Schiano. So we should be able to confuse Freeman and his WRs with some disguises if Fewell doesn't go full ****** on us.

We can never trust that.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
We can never trust that.

Vs the Cowboys, I was actually more disappointed in the DL finishing plays then Fewell's scheme to be fair. We had a great pass rush going, but we just couldn't wrap up. Kiwi is awful at wrapping up and has been his whole career, which bothers me a lot, Tuck should have had a lot more impact in that game than he did, he was very flat, and Osi got swallowed by Smith.

When we put JPP on Smith, Smith struggled. But he dominated Osi. Really the only pass rusher we had who brought it all game was JPP. But if you just get that pressure on one side, Romo can scramble around like he did.

We needed Osi and Tuck to bring more than they did. The pressure we got was all from JPP. He was a monster in that game. But without a guy who can create pressure opposite of him, Romo was able to scramble around, and that was another problem in this game.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I can't blame Fewell for his coverages. It's hard to hide a turd. Especially when Web needs help on Dez. Having Austin on Coe or Tryon was just stealing candy from a baby.

The only reason why this game wasn't a blow out was bc of JPP making Romo run around for his life. Romo had an amazing game.

The coverage was the coverage though. Nothing you can really do about that. I don't like how Rolle plays Cover 2. He's never been good at it. He's always a step late over the top which is what happened on that Austin TD.

But when you have ducks in coverage, it's hard to hide them. Ask Cowboy fans, they went through it last year with Newman and Ball.

Giantsfan1080
09-08-2012, 03:44 PM
JPP had Smith on his heels all game, very impressive. I haven't re-watched the game yet so from my angle at the stadium I can't see everything but yeah Tuck and Osi didn't do much.

FreshBoy!
09-08-2012, 03:53 PM
However, it’s inaccurate to say the Cowboys simply exploited the Giants’ weak links over and over again. Sure, they had success against Michael Coe and Justin Tryon, a couple of journeyman corners forced into significant roles because of injuries to Terrell Thomas (season-ending torn ACL) and Prince Amukamara (high ankle sprain).

But the Cowboys had their most success in the air when attacking Corey Webster, the Giants’ best corner.

The Cowboys completed six of seven passes for 145 yards and a touchdown when targeting Webster. The lone incompletion was a dropped interception when Romo threw an ill-advised pass right to Webster after scrambling in the first quarter.

All four of Dez Bryant's catches for 85 yards, including a 38-yard deep ball, came against Webster. Kevin Ogletree, whose first touchdown came when he split a pair of linebackers in zone coverage, torched Webster on a stop-and-go for his 40-yard score. And Miles Austin had a 20-yard reception on a deep out the lone time he was thrown the ball while matched up against the Giants’ top corner.

The Cowboys were 4-of-6 for 37 yards against Coe, with Ogletree the intended receiver on each occasion. They exploited Tryon after Coe left with a tweaked hamstring, completing all three passes thrown his way for 61 yards, including the 34-yard KO TD to Austin on a jump ball down the left sideline.

7 passes to webster.
9 passes to Coe/Tyron.

So technically..I was wrong...They didn't go at Webster "more", but they targeted him quite often. I just keep reading Giants fans saying that Romo just threw to the "backup cb's", and that's why they had so much success.

bigbluedefense
09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
7 passes to webster.
9 passes to Coe/Tyron.

So technically..I was wrong...They didn't go at Webster "more", but they targeted him quite often. I just keep reading Giants fans saying that Romo just threw to the "backup cb's", and that's why they had so much success.

This is why statistics can be so misleading. When Oggletree scores a 40 yard TD on zone coverage where he splits 2 LBs, how is that on Webster? Bc Webster lined up in front of him? That's why I hate those websites that spew out those statistics. It's media driven crap. That play was miscommunication. Webster was supposed to have someone up top. That's why he sunk, he didn't have to worry about the stop and go bc he was supposed to have somebody behind him. But the safety dropped into a Cover 3 look when he was supposed to drop in a cover 2 look. To understand why that happens, you gotta understand Fewell's defense. He asks his defenders to adjust the coverage similarly to how WRs are asked to make sight adjustments on routes based on coverage. It's complicated and leads to these issues once in awhile. This was one of those examples.

No one is taking any credit away from Dallas. They thoroughly outplayed the Giants and won the game fair and square.

FreshBoy!
09-08-2012, 06:31 PM
This is why statistics can be so misleading. When Oggletree scores a 40 yard TD on zone coverage where he splits 2 LBs, how is that on Webster? Bc Webster lined up in front of him? That's why I hate those websites that spew out those statistics. It's media driven crap. That play was miscommunication. Webster was supposed to have someone up top. That's why he sunk, he didn't have to worry about the stop and go bc he was supposed to have somebody behind him. But the safety dropped into a Cover 3 look when he was supposed to drop in a cover 2 look. To understand why that happens, you gotta understand Fewell's defense. He asks his defenders to adjust the coverage similarly to how WRs are asked to make sight adjustments on routes based on coverage. It's complicated and leads to these issues once in awhile. This was one of those examples.

No one is taking any credit away from Dallas. They thoroughly outplayed the Giants and won the game fair and square.

You have to consider the context of why I was posting that though. The media rarely knows what down it is much less what defense assignments are on any given play.

My point was moreso just to say that I've heard a lot of "Well they threw at 3rd and 4th string CB's all night", from Giants fans. Which Romo did, but he didn't exactly shy away from the #1 CB either.

Tis all....at this point it's coming off as trolling, so I'll exit stage left....wasn't intended that way.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Rewatching the game right now using the coaches film option on the awesome NFL Gamepass. First time I'm really watching coaches tape though, so I don't really know what to look for. But it's cool to be able to see the full routes of the recievers, and see how the safeties play, since you don't often get to see them on the TV! Coe really sucks at defending slants, and Hixon never gets separation from what i've seen so far.

Forenci
09-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Dealing with RGIII for the next 10 years is going to suck.

Giantsfan1080
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM
It's one game. You sound like a Skins fan.

Forenci
09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
It's one game. You sound like a Skins fan.

I mean, I loved him coming out of college so this isn't a new thought for me. And I'm sure he will take his lumps too. Just shows what he's capable of against a Spags coached defense.

Giantsfan1080
09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Remember how much our Spags coached D struggled the first 2 games?

Forenci
09-10-2012, 01:28 AM
I mean, that's true, but that was also Spags first coordinator job. I feel like he should know how to adjust far quicker to a new team.

I'm not saying I'm rooting for the Redskins or that we'll never beat them again. I fully expect to beat them when we play. I'm just saying he's a fantastic player with a unique skill set so defending him will be a challenge.

It's just too bad. If he went to any other team out of the NFC East I would have probably been rooting hard for him.

bigbluedefense
09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Why didn't we draft Stephen Hill again?......

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Probably thought he was too dumb to fit our system.

Jughead10
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Probably thought he was too dumb to fit our system.

I don't think he's dumb. He went to G Tech, they don't normally bend the rules too much for talented players. Especially WRs who aren't asked to catch. But his learning curve is stacked against him. He blocked for 50+ plays every week in college. It would be like going form 1+1=2 to advanced calculus.

I also think we liked Randle better regardless. There was talk that we could have taken him instead of Wilson in round 1. When both Hill and Randle were available.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Well Hill is still who I wanted but we'll see how he does throughout the year.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Good news: Prince and Austin back at practice today.
Bad news: Phillips and Rivers sat.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Phillips sat back because of his back. Coughlin said he'll practice tomorrow. Prince is optimistic about playing Sunday.

LonghornsLegend
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Just guessing, but it seems likely that even if you guys had taken Hill you would have sat him down anyway just like Randle seeing as he was much more raw and rough around the edges. Hard to tell how good players are unless you throw them out there. Hill had a brutal pre-season, but he's the starter by default, gave him some chances to make some plays out there and he made the most of them. Randle may have done the same thing, but he didn't even get into the game.

With the mistakes Hill was making through August, Coughlin probably wouldn't have trusted him in a game situation for some time. I like Randle better personally, but also realize that in Hill if he's coached up properly and he develops he's got insane upside. Classic swing for the fences pick, nobody would be surprised in the least bit if he ended up flaming out of the league all together but he's got a skill set that could make him a terror for DB's.

From what I saw though, he was just out there making plays. Route running, catching with his hands, learning how to read coverages, all needs a ton of work still. But when guys are an athlete, just give them a chance. That's what I felt Coughlin should have done with Randle on Wednesday.

Rosebud
09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
We know, BBD's even warmed many of us that weren't Randle fans up to him. But Stephen Hill would've been so amazing once we'd gotten to polish him.

Jughead10
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Hill also doesn't have Nicks and Cruz in front of him.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
But that also could have helped him since he would have seen worse CB's and he can learn slowly instead of being thrown right into the fire.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm actually a little nervous with what Schiano is going to throw at us defensively. We already can't run the ball and look at what he just did to Carolina's running game. Eli is going to have to carry us in this one.

scottyboy
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
and I hope Gilbride knows that. Let's open up the ******* playbook and attack their corners. Cruz knows he caught a lot of **** (about all he caught) for last game and nicks is another week healthier. Let's pick on their weak corners and let Eli do what Eli does

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree but Schiano also does an excellent job with the DB's. Barron is going to be a stud under his tutelage.

scottyboy
09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree but Schiano also does an excellent job with the DB's. Barron is going to be a stud under his tutelage.

I agree, but for now, their secondary is weak, especially at corner and I think it's something we could (and should) exploit

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
It's our strength, their weakness so yeah I would hope the offensive coaching staff realizes it. Schiano likes to blitz a lot also so maybe we can catch them on a few.

D-Unit
09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Gotta give Schiano credit for jumping you guys for Doug Martin too. I know your FO said they liked Wilson more, but personally I don't know if that's the truth. I never thought that and I know most had Martin ahead of Wilson too.

But I agree with LL. I don't think Coughlin would've given Hill the same opportunity and I don't think WR was your biggest need. I was afraid you'd take Janoris Jenkins, Courtney Upshaw, Devon Still, Jerel Worthy, or Konz.

I personally don't think 1st round picks should be spent on RB unless they are a top 10 pick type RB.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
We definitely had Wilson rated higher than Martin.

D-Unit
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
We definitely had Wilson rated higher than Martin.
Not arguing that that's what they've said. ...and if true, I think it will appear wrong not before long.

We'll see though. I also think Tampa kind of panicked in trading up for him.

I thought Robert Turbin would've been the best fit for you guys. The best replacement for Jacobs and the best compliment to Bradshaw.

BaLLiN
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't know why everyone has given up on Wilson already, but I am still very optimistic.

Anyway, Joe Haden has been suspended 4 games for PEDs. Wanna know whats crazy? Instead of being suspended for the first 4 games of the season, he played against the Eagles and now is suspended for weeks 2-5. Who is their week 5 matchup? Us :)

Wootylicous
09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/haterafrican.jpg

David Wilson will be a stud. Also, I dislike Bradshaw so much :/

Legacy
09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Let's pick on their weak corners and let Eli do what Eli does
Weak corners? Aqib Talib and Eric Wright aren't exactly weak. If you're looking solely at Cam Newton's passing numbers from yesterday I suppose it would look that way, though you need to consider that the Bucs completely sold out on stopping the run.

As for the David Wilson/Doug Martin debate, I'm happy with how Doug Martin has performed so far, but I think it's far too early to tell whether or not Wilson's ball control issues will carry over from college. As a Bucs fan, I remember that Cadillac Williams looked like he was heading for a Hall of Fame career after his first four regular season games (and his first full season, actually). Things can change, though I am happy that the Bucs have Martin.

I'm really looking forward to this game, as I'm interested in seeing whether or not the defensive effort against the Panthers was an anomaly. (I hope not.) The Giants have a more versatile offense than the Panthers, so it'll be interesting to see what Schiano and Sheridan cook up, especially since both Bucs coordinators have inside experience with the Giants.

I don't think the Bucs will win, but I do hope they'll keep it close. I can't take any more blowout losses like the team incurred over the last two-thirds of last season... Yesterday gave me hope that Schiano has this team back on the road to respectability, so I guess we'll see.

Anyway, here's to a clean, injury-free game next weekend, and I hope you Rutgers fans don't have too much difficulty rooting against your former coach.

scottyboy
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Talib and Wright aren't exactly what you'd call strong. And compared to your run D, the corners are easily the weakness of the team at this point

Legacy
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Talib and Wright aren't exactly what you'd call strong. And compared to your run D, the corners are easily the weakness of the team at this point
I'm not prepared to call any position on this defense a strength yet. Yeah, they defended the run well against Carolina, but this is a team that was dead last in rush defense (156 YPG) and several other categories last season.

As far as Talib and Wright go, they're not fantastic, but they've done well enough in what they've been asked to do so far, so I suppose we'll see. I will say that Talib is far too much of a gambler for my liking.

Also, if the Bucs have one weakness that stands out, it's definitely the right side of the offensive line. Davin Joseph being out for the year means that Ted Larsen is the starting RG and Jeremy Trueblood, who sucks out loud, is the RT. I expect the Giants to bring the heat on that side and the Bucs do do what they did against the Panthers: Run to the left behind Carl Nicks and Donald Penn.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Packers' Jarrett Bush says 49ers 'really didn't beat us'
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060381/article/packers-jarrett-bush-says-49ers-really-didnt-beat-us?module=HP11_content_stream

LOL. Looks like the packers team is in denial when teams beat them.

Green Bay Packers’ Clay Matthews: Giants Didn’t Beat Us in the Playoffs, We Beat Ourselves

http://www.giants101.com/2012/08/08/green-bay-packers-clay-matthews-giants-didnt-beat-us-in-the-playoffs-we-beat-ourselves/

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Not arguing that that's what they've said. ...and if true, I think it will appear wrong not before long.

We'll see though. I also think Tampa kind of panicked in trading up for him.

I thought Robert Turbin would've been the best fit for you guys. The best replacement for Jacobs and the best compliment to Bradshaw.

I know for a fact we did though. A man who runs a very prominent Giants website was told that would be the pick he were available there.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
What is with that Packers team?

“I’m not saying Dallas didn’t beat us, they definitely did,” Tuck said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “They did a lot of things better than we did. But we didn’t play well. In certain situations, we didn’t give ourselves a chance to win the game. That’s not to say that if we would have played well we would have won. I don’t know.”

That's how you are supposed to be humble.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
What is with that Packers team?

They're a bit cocky. Some teams are so it is what it is. Let them keep thinking it.

bigbluedefense
09-10-2012, 10:39 PM
David Wilson was my #2 rb behind richardson, so I believe the Giants when they say he was their guy. Dont get me wrong, I liked both wilson and randle, but I loved Hill.

I think they went for more polish and didn't want another project like Barden was. But I think that was a mistake.

I also loved Turbin. I would have went Hill and Turbin. But I also learned not to question Reese too much.

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 07:39 AM
9 point favorites on Sunday. I don't know why but this game is really scaring me.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Every game scares me. I know our offense is good and such, but I am tired of the situational play calling, specifically in the red zone. If we had a game or bet, let's try to limit's Eli's TD passes throughout the season, our team would be that.

Those running plays were awful to call. I nearly threw the TV remote at the tv. You'd think Eli wasn't our best offensive player on the field. What can we do to get the ball out if Eli's hand? Hmm.. I got it! Let's run the ball! No matter that we stunk all game running it, let's just run it because we don't want to throw it! And... if we get stopped on first down, you guessed it! Run it again!!!! YAY!

Our situational play calling after all these seasons is wearing me down. I despise it with utter malice from the bottom of my heart. Ok, that feels better! I am stressed about my MCATS. But still I hate that series in the red zone.

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Every game scares me. I know our offense is good and such, but I am tired of the situational play calling, specifically in the red zone. If we had a game or bet, let's try to limit's Eli's TD passes throughout the season, our team would be that.

Those running plays were awful to call. I nearly threw the TV remote at the tv. You'd think Eli wasn't our best offensive player on the field. What can we do to get the ball out if Eli's hand? Hmm.. I got it! Let's run the ball! No matter that we stunk all game running it, let's just run it because we don't want to throw it! And... if we get stopped on first down, you guessed it! Run it again!!!! YAY!

Our situational play calling after all these seasons is wearing me down. I despise it with utter malice from the bottom of my heart. Ok, that feels better! I am stressed about my MCATS. But still I hate that series in the red zone.

I'm with you 100% on that one. Our line sucks so let's run the ball! I'd have given our best player 3 chances to find something he likes.

bigbluedefense
09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
If we lose this game, then you can forget about any chance at a repeat. We should be able to contain Freeman. We won't score like hell on them, they have a good defense, but we should be able to score more than they can.

The bucs will cover though. Take the points.

Caddy
09-11-2012, 09:53 AM
If we lose this game, then you can forget about any chance at a repeat. We should be able to contain Freeman. We won't score like hell on them, they have a good defense, but we should be able to score more than they can.

The bucs will cover though. Take the points.

I've missed that being said about the Bucs.

bigbluedefense
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I've missed that being said about the Bucs.

Tampa is one of my sleeper teams this year. Love that defense. But Freeman needs to show me more. Alot more.

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah I can't really see us covering the 9 but I don't care about that. This is one of the easier W's on the schedule so we need to grab it. Same goes with the Panthers and Browns. We can't have a letdown in any of those games this year.

bigbluedefense
09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
We just can't go 0-2. Regardless of who we're playing. I want to see Barden or Randle out there instead of Hixon too.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah I can't really see us covering the 9 but I don't care about that. This is one of the easier W's on the schedule so we need to grab it. Same goes with the Panthers and Browns. We can't have a letdown in any of those games this year.

This. Win or "bust", in the sense that we won't be a true contender this season if we don't beat them.

Legacy
09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
But Freeman needs to show me more. Alot more.
Can't disagree with that, but Sunday wasn't a good representation of what he can do.

Schiano said that the gameplan was to control the clock and keep the ball in our possession. They called a pretty conservative game designed to limit mistakes, especially in the second half. Freeman looked pretty sharp in the first half, though.

That type of gameplan probably won't work against the Giants, so I expect that they'll open things up more and look to move the ball down the field through the air rather than feeding Martin as much as they did. (Unless we're somehow winning.)

scottyboy
09-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Can't disagree with that, but Sunday wasn't a good representation of what he can do.

Schiano said that the gameplan was to control the clock and keep the ball in our possession. They called a pretty conservative game designed to limit mistakes, especially in the second half. Freeman looked pretty sharp in the first half, though.

That type of gameplan probably won't work against the Giants, so I expect that they'll open things up more and look to move the ball down the field through the air rather than feeding Martin as much as they did. (Unless we're somehow winning.)

Zak, BBD and I can attest to this...with Schiano, get used to that gameplan. Airing it out was never exactly his style

BaLLiN
09-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Zak, BBD and I can attest to this...with Schiano, get used to that gameplan. Airing it out was never exactly his style

and this is why i drafted martin in the 4th and ran

Legacy
09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
You guys would know better than me, having seen more of what he likes to do at Rutgers.

I'm ok with conservative gameplans so long as it results in wins. At the same time, Schiano doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is foolish enough to stick with a plan in spite of the opponent. While I doubt we'll see a game in which we abandon the run (like we did the last time we played the Giants in NYC... Gruden was the coach and we threw it 40+ times with high winds...), I do think that Schiano will look to have the team taking more shots down the field against the more dangerous offenses in the league, such as the Saints.

scottyboy
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
You guys would know better than me, having seen more of what he likes to do at Rutgers.

I'm ok with conservative gameplans so long as it results in wins. At the same time, Schiano doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is foolish enough to stick with a plan in spite of the opponent. While I doubt we'll see a game in which we abandon the run (like we did the last time we played the Giants in NYC... Gruden was the coach and we threw it 40+ times with high winds...), I do think that Schiano will look to have the team taking more shots down the field against the more dangerous offenses in the league, such as the Saints.

I mean, his bread and butter is stout defense and a strong running attack. I mean, granted, that could be because he had Ray Rice and a strong run blocking Oline (ZUUUUUUUTTAH!) and later on, weak pass blocking Olines and weak QB's. He'll throw it downfield (ie Britt) but his main style and ground and pound. Get the lead, stop you from scoring, and grind it out. Which is a stlye I'm fine with. LOOOOVES to set up playactions with it. He's not too stubborn to not throw the ball around, but don't look for Freeman to be putting up 30-40 pass attempts a game and if the run game's not working, he may stick with it a little TOO long for fans liking.

This is no knock on Freeman (although he did have a pretty bad year last year) but I do wanna see what schiano would do with a top QB

Legacy
09-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I mean, his bread and butter is stout defense and a strong running attack. I mean, granted, that could be because he had Ray Rice and a strong run blocking Oline (ZUUUUUUUTTAH!) and later on, weak pass blocking Olines and weak QB's. He'll throw it downfield (ie Britt) but his main style and ground and pound. Get the lead, stop you from scoring, and grind it out. Which is a stlye I'm fine with. LOOOOVES to set up playactions with it. He's not too stubborn to not throw the ball around, but don't look for Freeman to be putting up 30-40 pass attempts a game and if the run game's not working, he may stick with it a little TOO long for fans liking.

This is no knock on Freeman (although he did have a pretty bad year last year) but I do wanna see what schiano would do with a top QB
I get what you're saying and I do agree that he'll be hesitant to abandon the run, which is a quality I actually like. Last season our OC managed to start a running joke on one of the Bucs boards I frequent termed "SHOTGUN FURY!" because we were lining up in shotgun what seemed like 95% of the time, even when we were in third-and-short situations.

What I expect from Schiano is to adjust the style of offense that we run. He and his coordinators clearly understood that the way to beat the Panthers is to stop the run and control the clock to keep the ball out of Newton's hands. They called a lot of short passes and runs to facilitate this, but that's not going to work against a team like the Saints, who are capable of putting up a lot of points quite quickly. When we play them, I fully expect the Bucs to utilize the run to try to control time of possession but also look more to deep and intermediate routes in the passing game because, let's face it... Sixteen points isn't going to cut it against New Orleans.

scottyboy
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
very true, i'm interested to see how you guys play/do against the saints.

but then again, maybe that style he runs is why we could never beat WVU...

oh god, bad memories. BAD MEMORIES

Legacy
09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
very true, i'm interested to see how you guys play/do against the saints.

but then again, maybe that style he runs is why we could never beat WVU...

oh god, bad memories. BAD MEMORIES
It's kind of funny how that works.

South Florida always seemed to do well against West Virginia, but got whipped against Schiano's Rutgers squads who in turn struggled against the Mountaineers.

As much as I respected what Schiano did for the Scarlet Knights, as a Bulls fan I have to admit that I harbored some disdain for him because the Bulls could never seem to beat his squads.

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
He couldn't stop spread offenses until last year when he finally held Cincy. Let's see with NFL players if he can do it now.

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 04:54 PM
It's kind of funny how that works.

South Florida always seemed to do well against West Virginia, but got whipped against Schiano's Rutgers squads who in turn struggled against the Mountaineers.

As much as I respected what Schiano did for the Scarlet Knights, as a Bulls fan I have to admit that I harbored some disdain for him because the Bulls could never seem to beat his squads.

I think it's cool Rutgers is playing USF this week down there while Schiano and his Bucs are playing the Giants up here. Very coincidental.

Legacy
09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I found think it's cool Rutgers is playing USF this week down there while Schiano and his Bucs are playing the Giants up here. Very coincidental.
Are they really? I haven't had any time at all to pay attention to college football this season, but that is pretty cool, especially since they'll be playing in the same stadium Schiano's current team calls home.

Legacy
09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
While I'm thinking of it, I've got a question for you guys.

I was looking over the official Giants board and the general consensus over there seems to be that the offensive line is one of the worst in the league (Carolina might disagree with that) and that your team is down to "5th and 6th string" in the cornerback department. Would you guys agree with this assessment or are they just a bunch of negative Nancy's on that board?

scottyboy
09-11-2012, 05:14 PM
we were down to scrub corners with Tryon seeing serious time, and Coe being the #2 guy, but there's hope that Prince and Hosley will be fully good to go, giving us a decent group with them and webster.

and I wouldn't say our OL is the worst, but it's pretty damn mediocre across the board at this point

edit: especially in the run game. horrid running game we've got

Giantsfan1080
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Are they really? I haven't had any time at all to pay attention to college football this season, but that is pretty cool, especially since they'll be playing in the same stadium Schiano's current team calls home.

Yeah Rutgers-USF Thursday night.

Our OL is definitely bottom 10.

Our CB's aren't healthy so besides Webster we are down to 4th and 5th guys. Prince should be back within the next 2 weeks and Hosley soon as well.

Legacy
09-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm surprised Amukamara has been so banged up. He was a guy I really wanted the Bucs to draft last year. I was so angry when the Giants nabbed him with the selection directly before the Bucs, but Tampa has made out pretty well with Adrian Clayborn performing well above my expectations.

Hopefully your running game and o-line means another week of being the #1 rushing defense in the league for the Bucs. I have to admit that I've really missed my team being able to claim that distinction. It's been far too long since the Bucs have had a defensive unit we can be proud of. I'm sure you guys will understand, being that the Giants have been a team known for strong defensive play (especially in the postseason) in recent years.

If your secondary is as banged up as you guys think, I think Sullivan and Schiano will probably use this game to turn the passing attack loose a little bit. At the very least, we should see more downfield looks than we did against Carolina where we only had two passes that went for more than 20 yards (that I can recall), one of which was called back for holding.

Caddy
09-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey guys we gon win and you lose cos bucs rule.

I'm really pumped for this game to be honest. This might be the only time this season where we actually have a chance at beating a team the calibre of the Giants. You guys are clearly hurt so maybe we can take advantage of that..

Either way I'm just looking forward to a really fun game, full of action and awesome plays and no injuries. I like playing the Giants because on these boards I feel the Giants fan base is one of the easiest/pleasant to have a legit discussion with - except for Fagenci.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Like I said yesterday I think it's going to be a close game. If Prince and Austin come back for this weekend's game then actually we're relatively healthy all of a sudden.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm with you 100% on that one. Our line sucks so let's run the ball! I'd have given our best player 3 chances to find something he likes.

It's the same garbage year after year. Elite or franchise qbs are the best players on their respective teams. So why do we treat Eli like he is not the best player? As someone who coached I want the ball in my best players hand. So let Eli throw and score. We treat him like he is the a franchise qb. Take the ball out of his hand when we don't need him and hand it off when we clearly stunk all game running it. Do we respect Eli that little?

Sorry Eli. You are elite but here's the thing we don't want the ball in your hands when we don't need it. And that stupid dogma of trying to stay balanced. Last team I asked someone during the game they said 13 passes to 11 running plays.

I am sick and tired of watching situational play calling like this. It's so bush league.

BigBlueNorwegian
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM

I'm really pumped for this game to be honest. This might be the only time this season where we actually have a chance at beating a team the calibre of the Giants. You guys are clearly hurt so maybe we can take advantage of that..

Either way I'm just looking forward to a really fun game, full of action and awesome plays and no injuries. I like playing the Giants because on these boards I feel the Giants fan base is one of the easiest/pleasant to have a legit discussion with - except for Fagenci.

Thank you for your compliments to our fan base! You bucs guys seem like a good group as well! It's going to be a close game for sure. I'm not looking forward to our O-line going against your defense, you seem much improved, particularly in the front seven this year! And it will be interesting for me to get an up close look at Doug Martin, after all the talk about Wilson vs Martin this past draft.

Legacy
09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm not looking forward to our O-line going against your defense, you seem much improved, particularly in the front seven this year!
I think the other Bucs fans will agree with me when I echo that concern in regards to how our offensive line matches up against your defensive line. The right side of our line (Trueblood and Larsen) got schooled repeatedly against a mediocre Carolina line, so I fully expect to see the two of them get destroyed play after play on Sunday.

And, yes, the Bucs do look like they're much improved. Amazing what a bit of solid coaching can do, huh? Hopefully they continue on that path against the Giants, though I still don't think they'll win.

Forenci
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Go to hell Caddy. You are worse than Chucky. Yes I went there.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I am interested in seeing the Bucs play. I don't really don't think too much of him, good or bad. I know they will have a NYG type feel to them because of their coaching staff.

Hopefully our DL can go after Freeman and make his day miserable.

Caddy
09-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Go to hell Caddy. You are worse than Chucky. Yes I went there.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7hrmDm8N1rqbtmpo2_500.gif

bigbluedefense
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I love Schianno

Hope you Bucs fans love 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Bc thats the schianno offense. Every week. Not just last week. Every week.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I love his defenses. It's still to be seen how he does as HC. I'll always root for him even though I was pissed/upset when he left.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I love his defense too. His alignment is odd to me though. How he lines up his dts.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I love his defense too. His alignment is odd to me though. How he lines up his dts.

He liked them small and speedy in college which hurt us a bit at times. He lines them so they can get right through the gap instead of taking on the OL.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
He liked them small and speedy in college which hurt us a bit at times. He lines them so they can get right through the gap instead of taking on the OL.

Yeah thats my problem with it. Its feast or famine. It can work, I just like a little more meat in the middle.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah thats my problem with it. Its feast or famine. It can work, I just like a little more meat in the middle.

I do as well. The weird thing is that you'd think the smaller/speedy D's would help against a spread offense but that was always the bane of his existence. He couldn't stop a spread to save his life which KILLED US.

Caddy
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I love Schianno

Hope you Bucs fans love 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Bc thats the schianno offense. Every week. Not just last week. Every week.

There is a reason they made Carl Nicks a huge offseason priority! Once Davin Joseph gets back from injury (next season) I expect the run game to be brutal.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I do as well. The weird thing is that you'd think the smaller/speedy D's would help against a spread offense but that was always the bane of his existence. He couldn't stop a spread to save his life which KILLED US.

It's alot harder creating confusion and blitzes when your defense is spread out. Harder disgusing coverages too. His problem with the spread was he never had any real DEs worth a damn. You can't beat the spread without edge pressure.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
There is a reason they made Carl Nicks a huge offseason priority! Once Davin Joseph gets back from injury (next season) I expect the run game to be brutal.

It will be. Don't be shocked if you draft another rb in the first 3 rounds. Schianno is gonna run, run, and run some more.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Well he never had any real DE's because that's how he liked his D-Line. He always placed smaller guys on the line. He never even recruited the position that well until his last year or 2 but it was almost on purpose.

Anyway I'm not bashing him. I could probably write a 15-20 page paper on Schiano and the "ressurection" of Rutgers football. Besides when he plays us I'll really be rooting for Tampa.

Caddy
09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
It will be. Don't be shocked if you draft another rb in the first 3 rounds. Schianno is gonna run, run, and run some more.

If Dougie churns out performances like he did against Carolina I wouldn't be upset with that at all. It's such a shame Davin injured his knee because an interior of him and Nicks excites me. Not to mention he makes the players around him (IE Jeremy Trueblood) appear better. Ted Larsen is a solid player, but he is much better as a swing g/c back-up.

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
If Dougie churns out performances like he did against Carolina I wouldn't be upset with that at all. It's such a shame Davin injured his knee because an interior of him and Nicks excites me. Not to mention he makes the players around him (IE Jeremy Trueblood) appear better. Ted Larsen is a solid player, but he is much better as a swing g/c back-up.

Just say interior OL Caddy! Nicks/Zuttah/Joseph is beastly.

Caddy
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Just say interior OL Caddy! Nicks/Zuttah/Joseph is beastly.

:)

Zuttah doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Davin and Carl! Yet...

Also JPP will have 5 sacks against Trueblood this week. Book it.

scottyboy
09-12-2012, 08:26 PM
zuttah's way better than those scrubs on your interior OL!

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
zuttah's way better than those scrubs on your interior OL!

You going Sunday?

scottyboy
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
You going Sunday?

sadly no. these grad school classes have been kicking my ass already

Giantsfan1080
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
sadly no. these grad school classes have been kicking my ass already

Ohh that's weak. It's only a 1 P.M. game on a Sunday with no Rutgers the day before.

Legacy
09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Not to mention he makes the players around him (IE Jeremy Trueblood) appear better.
If he makes Trueblood better, this is going to be a long season...

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 07:23 AM
The Bucs defense is strong all across the board actually. Their main weakness is actually DE, they have good LBs in Foster and David, they have a good secondary, they have good DTs. But they lack a premier edge rusher.

Our OL is particularly weak at OT, so hopefully this plays in our favor. I don't expect us to run the ball, they're stout and we suck at running.

This is going to be a close game. Oddly enough we're gonna need Bennett to come through, bc he's the mismatch we need to take advantage of. They lack size to cover him. But he's also not a focal point of this offense, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Nicks is still banged up, and my guess is he won't be healthy for another 3 to 4 weeks. So he's a non factor. They'll key in on Cruz to take him out of the game. Which means we need that 3rd WR threat to emerge desperately, and I'm confident that Hixon won't be that guy. We need to start Barden or Randle. I know we won't start Randle bc Coughlin doesn't like starting rookies, so we need to get Barden more snaps.

If that 3rd threat doesn't emerge soon, our offense is in trouble.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Marty B and Rivers are both going to turn out to be huge steals. Reese and his power moves!

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Marty B and Rivers are both going to turn out to be huge steals. Reese and his power moves!

Rivers was a monster vs Dallas until he pulled his hamstring. The guy just can't stay healthy though.

Bennett had a good game too.

I want to see us use Bennett more in the passing game. Open up the route tree a little bit.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
I think they will but he is going to have a lot of snaps where he has to stay in and block. We need to get the OL figured out quickly so we can open up the playbook. Otherwise it might be conservative Coughlin/Gilbride.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
We better come and play aggressive. Do I expect it? No same old same old stuff I expect. Balance balance balance! in the red zone we better throw the damn ball.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
We better come and play aggressive. Do I expect it? No same old same old stuff I expect. Balance balance balance! in the red zone we better throw the damn ball.

I really would feed Eli a pass play everytime when we're near the goal like that if I were Gilbride. Eli can read the D and check to a run if he likes what he sees. No harm no foul in doing that.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Exactly! We treat Eli like he is the 2005 Eli. What can we do to get the ball out of his hands?

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 09:00 AM
The OL is what it is. Not a good unit. We just have to try to work around it all season.

This coming draft, I'm all for drafting the best available CB or DE in round 1, then draft a whole new OL every round after that.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Our OL sucks. That developmental ol thing we joke about every Draft is actually hurting us. We haven't hit on any of them and yet relied on developing them. We need to really invest in that side of the ball

I am all for drafting OL in the first round. Screw dl and get cheap later

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Maybe we need to also re-evaluate what we look for in OL. Clearly we're not doing well in that area. It's either we draft bad OL or we're not developing them properly.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Maybe we need to also re-evaluate what we look for in OL. Clearly we're not doing well in that area. It's either we draft bad OL or we're not developing them properly.

It's a waste because we have hit on a single person either because they sucks or due to injury like koets. Just a waste year after year.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah I agree. Something needs to be changed because it's dying a slow death. Snee and Diehl are the only 2 OL we drafted the last 10 years that have been good. Success rate there is awful.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
It really is a slow death. We haven't groomed one guy to come in and be a solid starter. Beatty we practically handed him the job and now he is hurt and has issues. Baas I like but overall this was not a good time to have the ol go down hill. This is eli s prime and so we better step to it and make it good.

I respect what the Cowboys did with their secondary. In one off season they went all out. They were aggressive in. Free agency and in the draft and now solidified their cbs. I want that aggressive mentality with Reese.

I deferred to his drafting but clearly that has failed with ol. So he better spend money on great players or trade up and grab stud OL talent next draft.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Whoops means to say the last 10 years.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
It really is a slow death. We haven't groomed one guy to come in and be a solid starter. Beatty we practically handed him the job and now he is hurt and has issues. Baas I like but overall this was not a good time to have the ol go down hill. This is eli s prime and so we better step to it and make it good.

I respect what the Cowboys did with their secondary. In one off season they went all out. They were aggressive in. Free agency and in the draft and now solidified their cbs. I want that aggressive mentality with Reese.

I deferred to his drafting but clearly that has failed with ol. So he better spend money on great players or trade up and grab stud OL talent next draft.

Do you know what FA OL there are after this year?

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Jake Long is a FA after the year!! I can dream.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Do you know what FA OL there are after this year?

No I want to see. I hope for our sake there are a bunch. If there is a stud OL player in the draft than do what the Cowboys and falcons did and trade up and get that blue chip player

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
These appear to be the tackles which is our biggest issue:

Brandon Albert
Sam Baker
Will Barker
Khalif Barnes
D'Anthony Batiste
William Beatty
Jordan Black
Jermon Bushrod
Gosder Cherilus
Ryan Clady
Chris Clark
Ryan Cook
King Dunlap
Trai Essex
Andrew Gardner
Nate Garner
Adam Grant
Ramon Harewood
Ryan Harris
Corey Hilliard
Austin Howard
Winston Justice
Dennis Landolt
Phillip Loadholt
Sean Locklear
Jake Long
Patrick Mannelly
Bryant McKinnie
Pat McQuistan
Lydon Murtha
Quinn Ojinnaka
Frank Omiyale
Tyler Polumbus
Garrett Reynolds
Barry Richardson

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Jake Long is a FA after the year!! I can dream.

The dolphins have no star players so they are probably way under the salary cap. So I doubt they let him walk. But if a stud OL player is available next year then I hope we get aggressive and trade up as long as it doesn't cost us a future pick.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Some other good names in that list above. Hopefully one of them gets to FA.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I'd rather adopt the same philosophy with our DL and build from within in regards to our ol. Draft them and keep them in house. I think this ol needs a big time rebuilding effort or else we'd end up like Seattle when Hutchinson left. That God like ol fell off cliff quickly once Hutchinson left.

I see us on the edge between disaster and fixing the situation. But we have to be smart about it. Again our qb is in his prime so we need to be urgent with making our old great again.

OSUGiants17
09-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Going to the game on Sunday! Can't wait. We can't go into Carolina 0-2, need to get the dub this week and shut people up.

OSUGiants17
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Ryan Clady or Jake Long would be so sexy. Highly doubt we can afford or bring in either of them tho. We need a blue chip OT already

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Ryan Clady or Jake Long would be so sexy. Highly doubt we can afford or bring in either of them tho. We need a blue chip OT already

Well we have to make a list on how to pay. If and that's a big if... Those two or one of those guys are there I'd go all out in getting them. If that means not re-signing one of ours fine by me. I'd obviously pay jpp and nicks but if that means bye bye Cruz then so be it. Protection Eli is objective number one.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
We do have too many young guys to pay so I highly doubt we'd be able to afford any big name FA's. JPP, Nicks, Cruz, Phillips, Linval all need extensions. Marty B and Rivers will need to be re-signed also depending on this year. Something will give in the next year or two.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
We do have too many young guys to pay so I highly doubt we'd be able to afford any big name FA's. JPP, Nicks, Cruz, Phillips, Linval all need extensions. Marty B and Rivers will need to be re-signed also depending on this year. Something will give in the next year or two.

Jpp nicks linval Bennett and rivers I'd extend. Cruz and Philips I'd let go. One is a system player and the other hasn't been what I expected from him when we drafted him. So if he wants a lot of money then no thanks.

scottyboy
09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
i think we'd need to keep Kenny. we're weak at safety behind him and he's been nothing but solid for us

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
We can't sign OL in FA. They're expensive as hell. Look at Baas. We paid out the ass for a mediocre Center.

We need to draft em. We have too many FAs on our roster to afford signing FA OL.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Kenny has been excellent here even with the injury. He's a very big part of what we do on D. He eliminates the deep ball by himself almost Sunday not withstanding.

I don't think Cruz is a system player but yeah I do think he might be the odd man out.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Cruz won't be the odd man out. I'll be shocked if we let go of Cruz.

I can see Linval being the odd man out.

OSUGiants17
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Jpp nicks linval Bennett and rivers I'd extend. Cruz and Philips I'd let go. One is a system player and the other hasn't been what I expected from him when we drafted him. So if he wants a lot of money then no thanks.

Really? You take Rivers over Phillips and Cruz? Gimme JPP, Nicks and Linval with long extensions, Cruz and KP get 3-4 year extensions and Bennett I'd be fine either way, letting him walk or bringing him back. I feel like with Williams, Boley and Kiwi we don't need to resign Rivers with all these other guys needing new contracts.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I'd be shocked if we let Linval go. He's a monster. Easier to replace Cruz than DL.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Really? You take Rivers over Phillips and Cruz? Gimme JPP, Nicks and Linval with long extensions, Cruz and KP get 3-4 year extensions and Bennett I'd be fine either way, letting him walk or bringing him back. I feel like with Williams, Boley and Kiwi we don't need to resign Rivers with all these other guys needing new contracts.

I wouldn't be surprised if we cut Boley after this year and then re-signed Rivers. This is all very premature though obviously as we have no idea how he'll hold up for a full season.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

If he is cheaper yeah. I know as giants fans we want our guys to stay. But this defense is inconsistent throughout the year and that goes for players and dc. I don't think that many players warrant a re-signing at a huge price. It's not like we are the Ravens defense where these guys are all all pro at every position.

KP I expected to be a lot better in terms of play making than he is. Cruz can leave too if he wants a huge contract..

OL in free agency will cost us that's true. That's why I like build from within. Use our first rounders invest like the niners did with their ol

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:46 AM
The problem is all the stud OL are top 15 picks. We never pick that high. I doubt Reese ever trades up for one but you never know.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I think Joseph is the odd man out. As much as I like him, is he really worth extending? He's a solid anchor in the run game who provides ZERO pass rush. And it doesn't look like he'll develop any pass rush any time soon. Run stuffing nose tackles are easy to draft. I rather just draft one.

We probably don't resign Boley. We save money there. We redo Rolle's contract, we save there. Probably don't extend Canty, save there.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I didn't watch the game yet but he did have a sack last week. I don't remember how it came though. He also had a monster playoffs. He's really going to break out nationally this year I think.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Let's not overrate OL. I've believed for a couple of years now that OL is an overrated commodity in the NFL.

With the spread offense becoming more popular and successful, you don't need a stud OL as long as you have weapons on the outside and a stud QB. You'll get the ball out quick. Look at GB, their OL is mediocre but theyre a powerhouse offense bc they just beat you with #s on the outside and have a qb who can get the ball out.

We won 2 SBs in 5 years with our blueprint. It works. We just need 2 solid draft picks along the OL and we'll be fine.

scottyboy
09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
we need to trade up. our depth in fantastic (sans the OL). trade up, stop wasting the mid rounders on these development guys that haven't worked out. trade up and nab that blue chip OL.

OR DRAFT CORDY GLENN DAMMIT

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 11:05 AM
We suck at evaluating OL talent too. That's another problem. We were all hot and bothered for Nate Solder. Solder sucks balls. We draft Beatty early. He sucks.

OL talent is actually very hard to find. And we're obviously not good at finding it.

scottyboy
09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
well we like athletic guys apparently. Guys like Solder and Beatty. Too bad they're all big vaginas who can't block. We don't need dancing bears, we need maulers and mean mofos to keep Eli upright and revitalize our ground game

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah I mentioned that last page BBD. We need to re-evaluate in what we look for in OL because the current scouting is horrible.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Everyone practicing today!! Ojomo being the most limited. Apparently Canty was doing stuff he probably shouldn't have been because he's on PUP. That's a good sign he''ll be back when he's eligible though.

BaLLiN
09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Id love Clady, he is what we wanted in Beatty

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Let's not overrate OL. I've believed for a couple of years now that OL is an overrated commodity in the NFL.

With the spread offense becoming more popular and successful, you don't need a stud OL as long as you have weapons on the outside and a stud QB. You'll get the ball out quick. Look at GB, their OL is mediocre but theyre a powerhouse offense bc they just beat you with #s on the outside and have a qb who can get the ball out.

We won 2 SBs in 5 years with our blueprint. It works. We just need 2 solid draft picks along the OL and we'll be fine.

I disagree. I think it system specific. I am only talking about our system. I could careless about the other systems and their spread like nature. All I know is that we NEED OL. It's perfectly rated for us, or under rated in our system. We have been spoiled with a god like OL for a lot of Coughlin's tenure.

Perhaps some of you remember the S.. Show of a OL that took place with Fasshole's tenure, specifically that 4-12 season that led us to draft very early due.

We need an excellent OL. And I will tell you why. IN our system, specifically the passing system, we run 5 and 7 passing concepts where the QB and skill player need to be on the same page. That takes.. you guessed it! TIME! We need Eli to get his time so he can get an accurate post snap read. If he rushed, and throws the ball, then he that's a very risky thing because now you he is hoping, no.. praying the skill player is where he is. That can lead to ints and god knows what else.

But wait! Coughlin has this boner for balance! So now we have to be able to run the ball and be able to do things like kill a whole quarter if we have the lead, because the old man and Gilbride feel like it's against their religion to pound a team on the scoreboard. Also, we want our OL to be versatile too! Christ why not have them grow wings and fly too while we are at it. So now the OL have to be able to learn and play other positions just in case we need to play musical OL. I am still now done though! We now need that OL to be mobile and move around so that we can run very concepts like Toss, power, G, and Power G with a counter step by the RB.

We need our OL to be elite or god like. To tell you the truth if Coughlin had his way and if we were successful running the ball, I think he would run all day and screw the pass. You see him trying to do that at the goal line! Sorry old man, our OL isn't like it used to so, you better be able to have Eli throw in the red zone and 50 times a game if need be!

So within our framework of our system, OL isn't over rated at all! Not in the least bit! We need our OL to be that much better just to run our offense.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Terrell Thomas had a 3rd ACL surgery today.

Forenci
09-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Terrell Thomas had a 3rd ACL surgery today.

Poor guy. I know he's done with football but at this point his knees will probably be ruined his entire life. That sucks.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I disagree. I think it system specific. I am only talking about our system. I could careless about the other systems and their spread like nature. All I know is that we NEED OL. It's perfectly rated for us, or under rated in our system. We have been spoiled with a god like OL for a lot of Coughlin's tenure.

Perhaps some of you remember the S.. Show of a OL that took place with Fasshole's tenure, specifically that 4-12 season that led us to draft very early due.

We need an excellent OL. And I will tell you why. IN our system, specifically the passing system, we run 5 and 7 passing concepts where the QB and skill player need to be on the same page. That takes.. you guessed it! TIME! We need Eli to get his time so he can get an accurate post snap read. If he rushed, and throws the ball, then he that's a very risky thing because now you he is hoping, no.. praying the skill player is where he is. That can lead to ints and god knows what else.

But wait! Coughlin has this boner for balance! So now we have to be able to run the ball and be able to do things like kill a whole quarter if we have the lead, because the old man and Gilbride feel like it's against their religion to pound a team on the scoreboard. Also, we want our OL to be versatile too! Christ why not have them grow wings and fly too while we are at it. So now the OL have to be able to learn and play other positions just in case we need to play musical OL. I am still now done though! We now need that OL to be mobile and move around so that we can run very concepts like Toss, power, G, and Power G with a counter step by the RB.

We need our OL to be elite or god like. To tell you the truth if Coughlin had his way and if we were successful running the ball, I think he would run all day and screw the pass. You see him trying to do that at the goal line! Sorry old man, our OL isn't like it used to so, you better be able to have Eli throw in the red zone and 50 times a game if need be!

So within our framework of our system, OL isn't over rated at all! Not in the least bit! We need our OL to be that much better just to run our offense.

We had the worst OL in the league last year and won the SB. OL is overrated.

I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade, but or formula for success is well documented.

I want a db or de in round 1 unless an OL talent on the board blows me away.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-14-2012, 09:08 AM
We had the worst OL in the league last year and won the SB. OL is overrated.

I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade, but or formula for success is well documented.

I want a db or de in round 1 unless an OL talent on the board blows me away.

Yeah we did, but winning the super bowl has nothing to do with our OL, but more with Eli evading the rush. And when he couldn't he got sacked. It was that simple. Eli was the most pressured QB, and yet we didn't lead the league in sacks. Eli gets rid of the ball or evades the incoming pass rush.

The formula of success was build in the EA era with Reese has the director college scouting. We drafted Snee and D.D., and signed everyone else. Like you said with money getting low, it's not like we can catch lightning in a bottle again and sign guys who can be near pro bowl level guys in O'hara and Rich S. We also signed K. M at RT too. So I am not relying on that method.

We need to build from within. Someone on BBI was in awe of the niners OL. I said well they better be good because they invested 3 first rounders in their OL. I like how the Steelers do that too. If Ben didn't hold the ball for hours they would be better than they are.

We need to invest in our OL. It's that simple, either spend the money, or draft. I want that done in the first round.

scottyboy
09-14-2012, 09:10 AM
it's a shame TT's knees like exploded because now CB is a need again. If not for that, we could really focus heavily on OL and DE early in next years draft

bigbluedefense
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
And if Prince winds up being a bust, then we're really screwed. I have a bad feeling about Webster this year too. I feel like age is gonna hit him this year.

CB is our biggest need on defense right now.

WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED JIMMY SMITH!!! :(

We'd be set.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 09:14 AM
I hope when Coughlin & Co. were studying Schiano that they noticed Logan Ryan this week!!

bucfan12
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey giants fans,

Here's to hoping we see a good game. As a buc fan I hope the bucs pull this one out and start 2-0

However realistically I think the giants win this one. I think te bucs bring their A game but some inexperienced play calls show up with our rookie defensive leaders show up. Offensively containing JPP Tuck and Osi will be difficult. They'll look to dominate trueblood and Larsen all day.

Predictions: 24-17 giants.

scottyboy
09-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I hope when Coughlin & Co. were studying Schiano that they noticed Logan Ryan this week!!

lock. down. corner.

and khaseem, Boley's eventual replacement. Our future LB corps will be Williams-Herz-Khaseem

yeah

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Need to go get some napkins.....

Jughead10
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Poor guy. I know he's done with football but at this point his knees will probably be ruined his entire life. That sucks.

He should just not get the surgery at this point and retire.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
He should just not get the surgery at this point and retire.

He already had it.

Jughead10
09-14-2012, 10:59 AM
He already had it.

He's fooling himself.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
He's fooling himself.

Hixon and Davis. You know these guys are so competitive they think they can always play.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Uggh Rivers is doubtful for Sunday. I guess he won't stay healthy here either.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Prince and Nicks questionable. Ojomo out. Everyone else probable or playing.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I was on a few TB Bucs message boards reading. And I think they are hoping for the beast. They think we are beatable, which we 100% are. They feel Barber and Wright can contain Cruz and Nicks. Obviously they are worried about Freeman and our DL attacking him. They are concerned about Trueblood and Larsen, I think his name is.

It's interesting but a lot think Eli can throw 2-3 INTs and they are very much in it. One guy called him an Int machine. So I think they expect 2005 Eli to be a contributing factor in helping them win.

bigbluedefense
09-14-2012, 12:35 PM
My concern is Nicks is not healthy and quite frankly, ineffective right now. We have no 3rd WR threat emerging, which just allows defenses to lock into Cruz and take him away, and play press on the outside and contain our outside WRs. So Eli has no where to throw.

Plus our run game sucks. So when you take all of that into account, Eli is in trouble.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-14-2012, 01:22 PM
My concern is Nicks is not healthy and quite frankly, ineffective right now. We have no 3rd WR threat emerging, which just allows defenses to lock into Cruz and take him away, and play press on the outside and contain our outside WRs. So Eli has no where to throw.

Plus our run game sucks. So when you take all of that into account, Eli is in trouble.

Well we have WRs, if we are developing them correctly, then this should not be as much as an issue. Hixon is the invisible one out there. Except for that big gain, he was invisible out there.

If Nicks can't go, put Hixon at X, R.R. or Barden at Z, and keep Cruz at H/F.

We still have JJ as well for 4 wide sets. We can bring in Wilson and see what he can do in the passing game too.

It may not be the most confidence instilling idea, but these guys made the team, so use them. See what they can do, and trust that we kept them for a reason. If they stink, then next year they don't make the team.

Next man up, if Nicks can't go.

And if we can't run the ball, I'd like if we stop the balance non sense and throw the ball. If we insist on balance, than play aggressively in the red zone. Put the ball in Eli's hands and let him make a play for once. Let's not run the damn ball twice in a row, when prior to that we did nothing in establishing the run.

BaLLiN
09-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I honestly dont get why we never run 4 wr sets with either 1 RB or 1 TE. We're not a WCO, but we need to have something like that so defenses can't double nicks and cruz

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
CB won't be a need with Hosley locking down 2/3 of the field. Be at ease.

Legacy
09-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Looks like Eric LeGrand will be doing the coin toss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/story/2012/09/12/legrand-asked-to-participate-in-bucs-giants-coin-toss/57770524/1

Caddy
09-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I hope you are all ready for Freesus! :)

NY+Giants=NYG
09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Trueblood is inactive, some guy who never played I think is starting at RT! LOL. Osi and JPP have to take adv. of that situation.

Caddy
09-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Trueblood is inactive, some guy who never played I think is starting at RT! LOL. Osi and JPP have to take adv. of that situation.

If you ask Bucs fans most of them would rather Dotson start... Trust me. Trueblood is worse in pass protection than Dotson. Dotson has played before btw.

BaLLiN
09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Honestly, I do not know what to expect on either side of the ball this game. We did a very good job of containing Murray except for 2 runs. And on offense we didn't look good at all. That was the opposite of what i thought would happen against dallas, so...on to tampa.