PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Wilkerson....First Round Pick?

BeerBaron
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/11/draft-prospect-to-watch-muhammad-wilkerson/

Some seem to think so. Two guys mentioned in the article have him ranked as the 25th best player in the draft. Even Scott has him ranked as his 7th best DT, ahead of bigger names like Austin, Casey, Powe, Taylor and Ellis.

Honestly, I have seen very, very little of the guy, but he does sound like the type of player who could make a rise like that. Could project to 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE, so the versatility is there.

Just another guy to keep an eye on headed into the Combine.

Matthew Jones
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I could absolutely see him in the first round. It wouldn't surprise me if New England drafted him at #17 if the top rush linebackers (Quinn, Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Ayers) were off the board, even if guys like Cameron Heyward and J.J. Watt were still available. He has the size (6'5" 305) and skillset to man the right end spot in a two-gapping 3-4 defense, or possibly play some nose tackle in a 4-3. Not one of the guys with the biggest upside but he's a very smart guy and his size could allow him to step in immediately and take on double teams, whereas a guy like Heyward could show up at 285 in Indianapolis and need to add a good 20 pounds. As it stands, I've been mocking Wilkerson to the Patriots at #28 or #33 overall fairly often. I'd say he's the cleanest fit for them schematically of any of the five-techniques, although other prospects such as Jordan/Watt have more upside.

Woody56
02-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Definitely.

ElectricEye
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Definite possibility. I underrated him a bit. Going over and watching the Temple games this year, he's a big time talent. Should make some team very happy as a possible five technique in the late first early second.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
02-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Was there hype for him during the season or is he a product of offseason talk?

ElectricEye
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Was there hype for him during the season or is he a product of offseason talk?

I don't think anyone had him on their radar to come out to be honest with you. Al Golden did an excellent job giving pro-style coaching to that Temple defense. Having watched quite a bit of them last year(very little this year) I thought Adrian Robinson would be the real prospect to come out of that defense as an OLB conversion prospect for a 3-4, but Wilkerson really stepped up his game this year both in the stat sheet and on tape.

SenorGato
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
First round talent, but yeah...there's a couple guys with that who won't go there this year...and every year pretty much....obviously he still has a shot...might have the best frame of all the 3-4 DE guys...some NFL team probably can't wait to juice him up.

BeerBaron
02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, I look at it like this...there are a handful of teams at the end of the first who could definitely be after a player of his type.

The Ravens at 26, Pats at 28, Jets at 30 and Steelers at 31 could all definitely be after a 3-4 DE.

thegreatone
02-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Who does he compare to in the NFL?

SenorGato
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Who does he compare to in the NFL?

To me he's Ty Warren-esque.