PDA

View Full Version : Jadaveon Clowney

Zello
02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I know that this guy isn't exactly eligible for the 2011 draft, but how amazing of a prospect does he project to be eventually? He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now. If it weren't for the eligibility rules, he could be drafted in the first round by an NFL team a la Lebron James.

What are the chances, you guys think, of this guy being the #1 overall prospect in his first year of draft eligibility? I'd think they're pretty high -a DE with this type of physical talent hasn't come along in many years.

PossibleCabbage
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
ESPN: the Magazine had a bit about "what ever happened to the #1 rated high school prospects over the last 25 years" last issue.

Here are their draft positions dating back to the #1 rated prospect in 1986: #1, #45, Undrafted, #78, #106, #142, #34, Undrafted, #92, #19, #1, #137, #253, #54, #17,#30, #3, Undrafted, #9, #8, #207, #112, In draft (Da'Quan Bowers), In School (Matt Barkley), In School (Ronald Powell).

Being the #1 ranked prospect coming out of high school means precisely nothing in terms of draft position or NFL career. The two guys who went #1 overall after being the #1 prospect (Jeff George and Tim Couch) were busts. The best NFL career of all those players belonged to the one drafted at #92 (Hines Ward).

Get back to me about Clowney in about 3 years.

SimonRath
02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I know that this guy isn't exactly eligible for the 2011 draft, but how amazing of a prospect does he project to be eventually? He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now. If it weren't for the eligibility rules, he could be drafted in the first round by an NFL team a la Lebron James.

What are the chances, you guys think, of this guy being the #1 overall prospect in his first year of draft eligibility? I'd think they're pretty high -a DE with this type of physical talent hasn't come along in many years.

you are really asking this now?

akvikefan89
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
ESPN: the Magazine had a bit about "what ever happened to the #1 rated high school prospects over the last 25 years" last issue.

Here are their draft positions dating back to the #1 rated prospect in 1986: #1, #45, Undrafted, #78, #106, #142, #34, Undrafted, #92, #19, #1, #137, #253, #54, #17,#30, #3, Undrafted, #9, #8, #207, #112, In draft (Da'Quan Bowers), In School (Matt Barkley), In School (Ronald Powell).

Being the #1 ranked prospect coming out of high school means precisely nothing in terms of draft position or NFL career. The two guys who went #1 overall after being the #1 prospect (Jeff George and Tim Couch) were busts. The best NFL career of all those players belonged to the one drafted at #92 (Hines Ward).

Win

(10 char)

LizardState
02-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Kudos for Possible's retort here, he did the homework.

Clowney is also at least about 20-25 lbs. underweight comparable to his position in the NFL as one might expect from an 18-yr-old compared to pro players. He needs experience hitting 220-240-lb RBs in college b/c he's been hitting 175-lb HS RBs, big difference, needs experience going against 330+-lb. tackles pass blocking him vs. the 180-lb HS OTs, etc.

ToldLikeItIs
02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
There isn't a huge difference between Clowney and other prospects, he's just more physically mature and filled out.

He'll end up 6'6 275 with a 4.6 just like 15-20 other prospects.

P-L
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
When Clowney enters the draft, there isn't going to be 15-20 other 6'6" 275 guys that run a 4.6 40.

703SKINS202
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Yea, basically right now he's a man amongst boys. Comparable to Bowers when he was the #1 prospect. Has the talent to be a top 10 pick but come on it's so damn early.

ToldLikeItIs
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I think there will be. I can name them too?

CashmoneyDrew
02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I think there will be. I can name them too?

You're Ron Burgundy?

metafour
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now.

No he's not. This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. If you've seen a single photo of him you'd realize that he'd get eaten alive in the NFL.

DBNYDP
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Frankly we don't know.
Clowney has never had to try.
But that doesn't mean going against better competition is going to make him bad by any means. It will just mean that we will see all that he is capable of then.
But 6'6/275 is an NFL body for a 4-3 DE. If he can run a 4.6 then he would be one of the most gifted DEs in the draft. I realize he's only 252 right now, but he carries his weight so far pretty well, so I don't think there a doubt that he can easily get there. Also I mean this kid benches like 350 or something which is good, and he is just going to get stronger.
So while I can't say he will be great in the NFL now because of the level of competition, just realize that this kid was barely trying at the high school level. They say competition brings out the best in people, so what makes us think that we've seen all this kid can offer?

etk
02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Future #1 overall pick.

PossibleCabbage
02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Future #1 overall pick.

This is probably something you could say about every #1 ranked high school prospect. But we're batting .090 on that dating back to Jeff George.

From the same data set, 13% of all #1 high school prospects weren't drafted at all.

Way, way too early to project what a 17 year-old kid will be like in 3 years. Even the world's greatest prospect can get into serious legal trouble with some bad decisions or suffer career threatening injuries.

P-L
02-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Scouting services are a lot more accurate now then they were in the late 80s and early 90s. Since 1998, of the #1 high school recruits to enter the draft you have four top ten picks, three additional first round picks, and only one guy go undrafted. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, Da'Quan Bowers and Matt Barkley are going to be top ten picks in their respective drafts and are all but locks to go in the first round. From 1986-1997 you have two undrafted guys and only a single first round pick (Jeff George - #1 overall). I'm not saying that Clowney is going to go #1 overall, but recent trends suggest that he has an excellent shot of being a 1st rounder and a good chance at going in the top ten.

Saints-Tigers
02-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't think there will be 15 guys at 6'6 that run a 4.6, or 15 guys at 275 that run a 4.6, definitely not both.

Unless they are all at VT pro day, or they all play for Maryland.

gsorace
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
He's already physically talented enough, as a high school senior, to play a starter's role in the NFL right now. If it weren't for the eligibility rules, he could be drafted in the first round by an NFL team a la Lebron James.

I'm going to need the name of your drug dealer.

JBScouting
02-12-2011, 11:24 PM
You can take this to the bank. He should not be eligible this year. He is already getting money from former South Carolina players funneled to him by an agent and will be leaving after three years. Rumor is their clients are filling his pockets with cash- folks around Rock Hill say they have seen the kid with tons of money. I won't say who the agent is because I don't have hard evidence but it is someone who has a lot of former South Carolina players, which only leaves a few agencies.

With that said if he fills out like his potential he will no doubt have a shot to be the #1 pick but if he were to come out right now he is not physically ready enough to be the top overall pick.

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 11:35 PM
He's a legit NFL talent right now. Not sure what round he would go in if he were able to enter, but he would be drafted for sure. He's got measurables you just can't teach. I can understand why people are excited about him, but it is still way too early and we just don't know how it's going to go for him over the next three to four years.

FUNBUNCHER
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
When Clowney enters the draft, there isn't going to be 15-20 other 6'6" 275 guys that run a 4.6 40.

QFT.

If Clowney can gain 15-20# over his college career, avoid injuries AND keep his insane first step quickness along with his freakish Lawrence Taylor motor in backside pursuit, he's going to be a 1st rounder in 3 years.

But he still has a long way to go as far as building up his core strength, upper and lower body and master the rush technique for his position.

Almost everything Clowney did in HS was instinctive.

What if Clowney hates lifting weights?? WHat happens if he enters college and never develops the work ethic off the field to maximize his God given abilities???

He has a long way to go before people start projecting his future draft status.

My only real question is what's his future position?? 43 End of 34 OLB??

I'd bet that Derrick Harvey, (35 sacks his senior year of HS),former Broncos DE Jarvis Moss or former Ravens DE Peter Boulware looked like very similar prospects to Clowney as preps.

The only position I believe a HSchooler could even remotely make the jump to the pros and contribute is at RB, and he'd have to be a rare Herschel Walker/Earl Campbell/Adrian Peterson type generational prospect to have a legit shot.

PossibleCabbage
02-13-2011, 01:04 AM
The only position I believe a HSchooler could even remotely make the jump to the pros and contribute is at RB, and he's had to be a rare Herschel Walker/Earl Campbell/Adrian Peterson type generational prospect to have a legit shot.

Well, maybe a truly freakish HS WR could make it to the pros and contribute as part of a rotation, assuming he somehow learned a full route tree in High School.

But the greatest high school defensive lineman in the history of the sport would regularly get pancaked by average NFL offensive linemen. A 17 year-old Reggie White would get his lunch eaten by Doug Legursky.

87Canes
02-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Kid is one in a million...

If he bulks up, stays focused and dedicated, he'll be the future #1 pick of the NFL Draft. No doubt...

He's got amazing speed, acceleration off the snap and great hands for a HS senior DL.

DBNYDP
02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
QFT.

If Clowney can gain 15-20# over his college career, avoid injuries AND keep his insane first step quickness along with his freakish Lawrence Taylor motor in backside pursuit, he's going to be a 1st rounder in 3 years.

But he still has a long way to go as far as building up his core strength, upper and lower body and master the rush technique for his position.

Almost everything Clowney did in HS was instinctive.

What if Clowney hates lifting weights?? WHat happens if he enters college and never develops the work ethic off the field to maximize his God given abilities???

He has a long way to go before people start projecting his future draft status.

My only real question is what's his future position?? 43 End of 34 OLB??

I'd bet that Derrick Harvey, (35 sacks his senior year of HS),former Broncos DE Jarvis Moss or former Ravens DE Peter Boulware looked like very similar prospects to Clowney as preps.

The only position I believe a HSchooler could even remotely make the jump to the pros and contribute is at RB, and he'd have to be a rare Herschel Walker/Earl Campbell/Adrian Peterson type generational prospect to have a legit shot.
Well I mean...He was benching like 140 at the end of his freshman year or something. Now he benches like 340.
I doubt he enjoys benching (I really don't know anyone that enjoys it) but he still does it because he wants to get better..

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
In the Under Armor allstar game, when raw HS OTs got their hands on him, if Clowney couldn't disengage he was mostly stalemated.

His biggest issue at this point is pure strength.

Regardless, off the edge from a 2 or 3 point, I think he's simply too fast and quick to be blocked by 90% of college OTs in pass pro.
He's probably one of the best natural pass rushers ever coming out of HS.

Some guys just have that knack for using their hands in combo with quick feet and lateral movement to get into the backfield almost at will.

If he goes to 'Bama and plays OLB for Saban, whew!!!

I know it's premature to say it, but Clowney may have more upside than Derrick Thomas and Cornelius Bennett.

ToldLikeItIs
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I like his chances a lot more if he goes to Clemson, rather than South Carolina btw.

Clowney is a great athlete, sure, but future #1 pick? There is no way you can say that right now. A *** LT could be a future #1 pick. That's just the way thing goes, and that's what makes the draft and the NFL and high school players and how they develop through college such a cool thing to follow.