PDA

View Full Version : Will There Ever Be TOO MUCH Talent?

xxxxxxxx
02-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I was just looking through scott's new rankings and thought, what if eventually alot of these good prospects start panning out more than becoming busts? Players get bigger faster and stronger by the year.

What if there are good or even great players that aren't going to get to play because of the people who are ahead of them?

Will there ever be too much talent in the nfl, causing players who could be good starters too sit the bench their entire career?

Just some food for thought, could be a good debate.

wordofi
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I was just looking through scott's new rankings and thought, what if eventually alot of these good prospects start panning out more than becoming busts? Players get bigger faster and stronger by the year.

What if there are good or even great players that aren't going to get to play because of the people who are ahead of them?

Will there ever be too much talent in the nfl, causing players who could be good starters too sit the bench their entire career?

I don't think so because market forces will cause the number of teams to grow. As the talent level grows, so will population. Cities will become large enough to support a team, and they will get one.

whatadai
02-12-2011, 11:48 AM

You see that happening every decade...if you haven't noticed...the guys who play now are on average a lot stronger and quicker than the players who played three, two or even one decade ago. The NFL has a darwinism type of effect on it. Of course, every decade had some beasts that would still ball out of control in today's league if they were born in a later decade.

PossibleCabbage
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, I suppose it depends what do you mean by "good starters"... since a lot of guys can have 10 year NFL careers by just being reliable, steady, yet unspectacular. But no matter how fast and how strong people are going to get, there's going to be a set of outliers of folks who are going to outperform everybody else because they're genetically anomalous, or just because they're harder workers/quicker thinkers than their compatriots.

We're nowhere close to having too much talent in the NFL. Remember, just because a guy can run a 4.3 doesn't mean he's worth a darn in coverage.

the_dark_knight
02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd say it's more about the people doing the scouting / coaching. There are some talented players that go undrafted, there are talented players that don't make it on rosters where they would literally be the most talented player. How many times was Harrison cut?

There are tons of factors that effect this. There are people with the talent for the NFL that never play in the NFL already. So, too much talent? No, but if more is found, it's just going to keep making the game better.