PDA

View Full Version : The Robert Quinn Thread

JustDezIT
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
How good will he be in the pros? Where do you guys think he'll go? Player comparison?

More and more I watch him the more I want him in Dallas. Ware+Quinn+Rat= WOOOODY.

GoRavens
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
adalius thomas clone

Nalej
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
adalius thomas clone

Hopefully, the Raven's version. I'd like him in NE.

Nebula
02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I think he'll be an electric player in the NFL he plays in a 3-4. He has the best combination of burst, explosiveness, and quickness off the ball. He will be a demon stand-up pass rusher in a 3-4.

For someone who is "recorded" as 270, he has a thin frame. He definitely looks like a player who can move fluid in space. I think putting him in a scheme like New England will maximize his skill set to the best

BeerBaron
02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I think he'll be an electric player in the NFL he plays in a 3-4. He has the best combination of burst, explosiveness, and quickness off the ball. He will be a demon stand-up pass rusher in a 3-4.

For someone who is "recorded" as 270, he has a thin frame. He definitely looks like a player who can move fluid in space. I think putting him in a scheme like New England will maximize his skill set to the best

I read the comparisons to Adalius Thomas and those words came to mind. Adalius was stocky and built like a tank. Quinn is taller, and though listed at the same weight, looks much more lean.

TACKLE
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
If I had to come up with a comparison, it would be John Abraham.

ElectricEye
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM

That's a good one. We don't know how his body is going to develop though. He has the frame to put on a lot of weight.

Don Vito
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
It won't happen but I want Quinn to fall to the Pats so badly.

Rabscuttle
02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Have there been any sightings recently? What should we be expecting at the combine, a guy that has spent his time in football purgatory working out getting stronger and faster or a guy that has gone through the motions and will be at less than his idea?

Bryant was slightly less than his best last year and it hurt is stock somewhat, do the UNC guys showup having learned from that and put on a show? Five or six months of doing not much more than preparing in the weight room and speed sessions without the rigors of a football season could really do wonders for some already gifted athletes if they chose to take full advantage of their time.

the_dark_knight
02-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Love this comparison, and I'd really love even more if the Falcons can team them up.

RealityCheck
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Three letters: God.

Just that.

umphrey
02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
4-3 teams are going to have him much higher on their board than 3-4 teams so that's where he's going to go. He might be the steal of the first round though.

Zello
02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Love this comparison, and I'd really love even more if the Falcons can team them up.

Unfortunately, the Falcons had to go out and do something called "winning" in the 2010 season and have a slightly better than 0.0000001% chance of drafting Robert Quinn in the 2011 draft.

SimonRath
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately, the Falcons had to go out and do something called "winning" in the 2010 season and have a slightly better than 0.0000001% chance of drafting Robert Quinn in the 2011 draft.

we can always trade up.

cajuncorey
02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
i want to say he looks like jason pierre paul very much

TheRoo
02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Cleveland Browns RDE

wordofi
02-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Most college players seem to have their height and weight inflated to a certain extent. He'll probably measure at 6'4" and 260 lbs. at the combine.

jason96r
02-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Future Detroit Lion if he's BPA. Would give the Lions one of the top DL's in the NFL for years.

LonghornsLegend
02-13-2011, 04:31 PM
So I guess it doesn't bother anyone that he hasn't played then? Whether he comes in shape, lost some of his burst, nobody has any concerns about these things? I guess no because it hasn't been brought up.

I hadn't got a chance to look at Quinn very hard due to him missing alot of time and not seeing very many games.

I guess I'm just trying to see if the draft board falls a certain way in the first 8 picks, is he too talented to pass up for the Cowboys at 9 even if OLB isn't a very big need. If he's the next guy to come in and get you 12 sacks a game he'd be worth it, but seems like I have more questions then answers.

I really don't want an OLB for Dallas, but if he lives up to the hype pass rushing opposite Ware isn't gonna make us any worse off. I still like Spencer but he's more then likely just a good well rounded OLB, great vs the run, not a guy you need to double team or to get you double digit sacks.

SenorGato
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Yep...best DE/OLB prospect in the draft. As a talent he's top 5 in this draft, but the whole brain thing and then the agents a-talking....Maybe he's this year's Dez Bryant...the obvious top players who fell for off the field stuff...Tannenbaum trade up ftw?

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Quinn is a beast. Reminds me a lot of DeMarcus Ware.

EDIT: Ware the prospect. Ware the NFL player bulked up and refined his game. But Ware the prospect was similar but with more burst.

ElectricEye
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
So I guess it doesn't bother anyone that he hasn't played then? Whether he comes in shape, lost some of his burst, nobody has any concerns about these things? I guess no because it hasn't been brought up.

It bothers me a bit. I think that's being underplayed for sure. Not so much that he lost anything...guys sit out with injuries and such all the time and if he's smart(or has smart people around him) he's been training all year. But this is a guy who legitimately hurt his team by his actions off the field. That's a mark against his character and teams are absolutely going to check that out.

TACKLE
02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I actually prefer him much more as a 3-4 OLB than I do as a 4-3 DE. His game is built around speed and his ability to dip and turn the corner but he isn't really physical at the point of attack. Sure he can play in both defenses but the 3-4 is a lot more conducive to his skill set and style of play.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
He'll bulk up if he needs to. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he is bigger at the combine than he was during his playing weight.

Quinn will be great in either scheme. I agree with whoever said he's going to be the Dez Bryant of this draft class.

I think that Carolina defense as a whole is under the radar. Quan and Carter are underrated too.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
He's one guy I wish would boost his stock into the Top 8 solidly.

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:23 PM
He's one guy I wish would boost his stock into the Top 8 solidly.

I think taking Von Miller over him as a 3-4 LB would be a big mistake.

I love Von, but he's a 4-3 LB.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I think taking Von Miller over him as a 3-4 LB would be a big mistake.

I love Von, but he's a 4-3 LB.
I like Von as a 3-4 ILB. But I'm weird. ;)

bigbluedefense
02-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Haha, I know you do!

He just doesn't have the core strength to be a 3-4 LB. Not outside or inside.

Unless you want another Aaron Maybin. The guy is built to be a 4-3 OLB in an attacking scheme. Unless I see a drastic change to his body, this is my stance on him.

Sure you can draft him in a 3-4 and give him time to develop his body, but don't expect any immediate impact. He'll take 2 years plus like Lawrence Timmons did.

D-Unit
02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Haha, I know you do!

He just doesn't have the core strength to be a 3-4 LB. Not outside or inside.

Unless you want another Aaron Maybin. The guy is built to be a 4-3 OLB in an attacking scheme. Unless I see a drastic change to his body, this is my stance on him.

Sure you can draft him in a 3-4 and give him time to develop his body, but don't expect any immediate impact. He'll take 2 years plus like Lawrence Timmons did.
I disagree on labeling him that way. Things just aren't as cookie cutter as most people like to believe. Scouts will grade every prospect and label them with a particular position based off prototype measurables. But NFL coaches are a lot more creative than given credit for.

If I just take a look at what the Cowboys have done over their recent history... We made Bobby Carpenter, a college DE/OLB into an ILB. Scouts said Greg Ellis was a 4-3 DE only, so we drafted 2 OLBs (Carp/Spencer) who couldn't beat him out. We made Bradie James a 4-3 WLB his entire career into a 3-4 ILB. We made Dat Ngyuen a 3-4 ILB and he was relatively good at it! Zach Thomas was made an ILB too, but nobody would've called him that in the draft when he was all of 5'11, 230 pounds as a rookie and got drafted in the 5th round. Jay Ratliff plays 3-4 NT...and if that doesn't send the message I'm trying to explain then nothing will. lol.

Many players in the draft are simply not "finished products" who will stay at their current size for the rest of their careers. It's about panning for gold. The real players will be successful regardless of scheme or "position they were labeled at during the draft".

Aaron Maybin would've been a bust regardless of scheme. That's what I believe. He was fool's gold.

BTW, the TV show, Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel is the ****! lol.

cajuncorey
02-14-2011, 01:27 PM

as i watch von miller play. i see more and more clint sintim. and i think he would do really well in the giants defensive scheme.

D-Unit
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Here's a question... Can Quinn play ILB in a 3-4 scheme?

TACKLE
02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

He's a 6'4 265-270 college defensive end. It would be r*tarded to play him there.

Sniper
02-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Here's a better question. Why would you want him to? Assuming he would get picked by a 3-4 team, why would they move him from the second-most important position on the defense to the least important?

derza222
02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Yep...best DE/OLB prospect in the draft. As a talent he's top 5 in this draft, but the whole brain thing and then the agents a-talking....Maybe he's this year's Dez Bryant...the obvious top players who fell for off the field stuff...Tannenbaum trade up ftw?

I wonder if teams see what happened with Bryant last year and make sure Quinn doesn't slip. It'll be interesting to see how he looks after not playing football for a year. And as for the bold, Jets getting Quinn might be my favorite draft scenario this year (though it's obviously extremely unlikely).

descendency
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Here's a better question. Why would you want him to? Assuming he would get picked by a 3-4 team, why would they move him from the second-most important position on the defense to the least important?
what could be more important than an edge rusher to a defense?

edit: On topic of Robert Quinn, while he may be top 5 talent - his commitment to his team is shaky at best. He may fall based on that. Someone will take a chance on him (and thankfully the Patriots sit twice in front of the Jets :D)

batman15
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
He'll be a great player. One of those studs on UNC defense that Butch Davis tried to make into another U defense.

D-Unit
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
He's a 6'4 265-270 college defensive end. It would be r*tarded to play him there.
Wait... Didn't you post in the Cowboys thread how amazing Anthony Spencer would be at ILB? LOL.

Sniper
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
what could be more important than an edge rusher to a defense?

To a 3-4 defense? A nose tackle.

ElectricEye
02-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, NT is far and away the most important position with a pass rusher following that.

I really don't see the appeal of moving Quinn to ILB in a 3-4.

TACKLE
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Wait... Didn't you post in the Cowboys thread how amazing Anthony Spencer would be at ILB? LOL.

No, no I didn't. You're reading comprehension is lacking terribly again.

There is a realistic chance that Robert Quinn could be the Cowboys pick #9. Quinn would be drafted to upgrade/replace Spencer as the OLB opposite of Ware. 6'3 255 LB Anthony Spencer who has been playing linebacker the past four seasons is a far more realistic candidate to play ILB than Robert Quinn. Yes Spencer isn't strong in coverage, but he could play the pass rushing/rover type ILB position you created for Von Miller. A LB core of Ware-Spencer-Lee-Quinn has potential to bring an intimidating pass rushing presence in Rob Ryan's blitz-heavy defense.

But yeah, drafting a 270lb DE in the top 10 and moving him to ILB while leaving a mediocre player as your other primary pass rusher sounds good too....

D-Unit
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
No, no I didn't. You're reading comprehension is lacking terribly again.

There is a realistic chance that Robert Quinn could be the Cowboys pick #9. Quinn would be drafted to upgrade/replace Spencer as the OLB opposite of Ware. 6'3 255 LB Anthony Spencer who has been playing linebacker the past four seasons is a far more realistic candidate to play ILB than Robert Quinn. Yes Spencer isn't strong in coverage, but he could play the pass rushing/rover type ILB position you created for Von Miller. A LB core of Ware-Spencer-Lee-Quinn has potential to bring an intimidating pass rushing presence in Rob Ryan's blitz-heavy defense.

But yeah, drafting a 270lb DE in the top 10 and moving him to ILB while leaving a mediocre player as your other primary pass rusher sounds good too....
Why did you take it to a personal level in attacking my reading comprehension?

This is all you said:

Ware-Lee-Spencer-Quinn as a LB core in Rob Ryan's defense would be terrifying.

Where is my reading comprehension lacking about you suggesting Anthony Spencer would be a good fit at ILB? ...which it wouldn't be.

I came to this thread asking for opinions on Quinn as an ILB, not because I thought it was a good idea. Just posing to see if that would be viable or not. I probably should've looked up his size before asking, but I didn't. I realize how silly that sounds for a guy who is 6'5, 270 to be playing ILB. ...and fyi, Spencer is 6'4, 260. Miller is 6'3", 237 (at the Senior bowl). Spencer at ILB would be much different from Miller at ILB.

RealityCheck
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Picking a 270lbs DE who runs a sub 4.6 to play ILB isn't very, uh, wise.

A Perfect Score
02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
There is a 0% chance that Robert Quinn plays ILB in any scheme, ever. It's beyond unfathomable. It would be about as effective as playing Von Miller inside. Neither of them belong there.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
He'll bulk up if he needs to. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he is bigger at the combine than he was during his playing weight.

Quinn will be great in either scheme. I agree with whoever said he's going to be the Dez Bryant of this draft class.

I think that Carolina defense as a whole is under the radar. Quan and Carter are underrated too.

Man, if he took a Dez like fall and the Falcons didn't move up to get him, I'd be livid.

But yeah, the dude is a monster.

LonghornsLegend
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I am really starting to warm up to him although being away from football gives me cause for some concern still. I think he makes more sense then Prince, or any of the 3-4 DE's in that top 20 range. I don't even want a DE, but seeing the impact Clay Mathews had so quickly, I'd love to get a pass-rusher that put fear into defenses who could be opposite Ware.

PoopSandwich
02-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I thought this was the Quinn Pittcock thread and i got excited :[