PDA

View Full Version : 3-Technique in Tampa 2

rawdawg
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm a Bears fan. Despite the 56 sacks, I'm of the belief that the Bears will go after interior OL in this offseason and draft. Bears like Webb, who improved late in the year. They also seem to be ok with Omiyale, who was a strong run blocker but struggled vs. the pass rush. And they have former 14th pick, Chris Williams, who I'm sure they'll give 1 more try at OT since he only has started and finished 5 games at the LT position he was drafted to fill.

Long story short, I'm of the thinking the Bears would go DT in the 1st round to replace Tommie Harris. I absolutely love Corey Liuget, who reminds me of a young Harris....but it's becoming increasingly possible that he is gone. With the leg injury, Paea may be a reach at 29. Nevis is also a reach and may not be the 3 down DT the Bears would want.

My question is, if no Liuget, who profiles as a 3-tech DT after the 3 players I named?

Does Christian Ballard fit in that role? What about Wilkerson? I'm not sold on Jurrell Casey. Can anyone give me some details on these 3, at a 3-tech specific defense?

Matthew Jones
02-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Wilkerson profiles as a nose tackle in a 4-3. I see Paea as a 4-3 nose tackle as well. Nevis would actually be a pretty solid value if you ask me. He is extremely quick off the line and was seemingly always in the backfield causing a ruckus when I watched him (yes, I just used the word ruckus.) He's not the most stout against the run but unless you're dealing with an elite prospect, you're not going to get everything you want and Nevis' burst/penetration is top notch and probably the most important quality. Christian Ballard would be a pretty solid three-technique, although he's another guy who's not the best run defender. I like Jurrell Casey too based on what I've seen of him. The last good prospect is Marvin Austin, who has first-round talent but will have to be closely evaluated because of the suspension. I think he seems like a pretty good kid though who's genuinely sorry for what happened. He looked like a beast at the Shrine game too.

Zello
02-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Man, if Jerry Angelo doesn't go OL with the first round pick, he DESERVES to see his huge investment (Cutler) get injured and sit out the season. I mean, come on. After watching that debacle of an OL all year, how do you NOT want an OL in the first round?

rawdawg
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I forgot about Austin, but I'm worried about his issues. I've heard he didn't interview well at the EW Shrine game. Huge risk, and the Bears have had issues at DT before w/ Tank Johnson and seem to stay away from guys with character issues since him and Benson were cut.

Zello, it's not as simple as "OL gave up sacks, draft OL first". Still gotta be smart about it. The dropoff on the OL isn't as big from the 1st to 2nd round as it is for other positions the Bears need such as WR or DT.

Zello
02-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Actually, this draft is widely considered the deepest at DL and CB.

Despite it being a weak OL class, it's definitely going to be even weaker in the bottom of the 2nd round than in the bottom of the 1st round. It's the difference between a guy like Gabe Carimi / Mike Pouncey and some guy who is barely any better than J'Marcus Webb.

jsang74
02-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Just a gut feeling, but Gabe Carimi screams Chicago Bear to me.

asdf1223
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Nevis and if you want to take a flier Marvin Austin as well.

Pat Sims 90
02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Man, if Jerry Angelo doesn't go OL with the first round pick, he DESERVES to see his huge investment (Cutler) get injured and sit out the season. I mean, come on. After watching that debacle of an OL all year, how do you NOT want an OL in the first round?

It is Jerry Angelo one of the 1st GMs in the NFL that does not vaule the OL. I am going to ROFL when the Bears take a WR in teh 1st because Martz wants to throw the ball more.

brasho
02-13-2011, 06:43 AM
i'm leaving out the guys that will be long gone before the Bears pick as UT prospects:

Nevis as mentioned before
Ballard COULD be an UT but most likely on 3rd down. He is a bit narrow waisted and leggy and does not have the base strength at this time to hold up inside.

Marvin Austin has the physical skill-set of a UT but from what I saw last season he had neither the onfield demeanor nor production to tell me he is anything other than a loafer.

Jurell Casey might be able to penetrate and attack the OL as needed for an UT.

Jarvis Jenkins could project to UT and looked pretty good in Senior Bowl practices.... though his production has been marginal.

Kendrick Ellis... I'm going to get slammed here... Ellis is ENORMOUS for an UT... but I can't help remembering how he was ALL OVER the field in the NFLPA all-star game and average 9.4 tackles per game and was constantly in the backfield... now I'm not saying he is necessarily an UT but he could play on ANY DL in the NFL. He's got great movement skills and he's huge. He wasn't a great pass rusher in college but I have to think that if he is lined up over an OGs shoulder, he would win that one all day.

David Carter of UCLA really stood out with his quickness and speed in the East-West game. His college production led me to wonder why he was even chosen for the game, but he was a stud all week in the practices and stood out in the game.

Karl Klug of Iowa is pretty much a Mitch King-clone. He'll be a backup Ut somewhere, and a backup RDE... or could play a little 5-tech for somebody.

descendency
02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
It is Jerry Angelo one of the 1st GMs in the NFL that does not vaule the OL. I am going to ROFL when the Bears take a WR in teh 1st because Martz wants to throw the ball more.

Bill Pollian?