PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Possible Lockout

SMoore
02-13-2011, 06:23 PM
If it becomes obvious that a lockout is likely or even definite by the time the draft comes around, how does that change how teams draft?

Do players with a high work ethic become more important because teams trust they will keep themselves in shape?

Will players who are drafted be able to work out with their teams and learn their playbook? If so, would project players be more highly valued because there would be more time for the coaching staff would have time to work with that player?

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
A lockout is the 'nuclear option' by the owners and if it goes through October, essentially the season will be a waste, considering that rookies won't be able to be signed.

No official team practices, no meeting with coaches, no working out at team facilities, no bonus money, nothing.

cajuncorey
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
If it becomes obvious that a lockout is likely or even definite by the time the draft comes around, how does that change how teams draft?

Do players with a high work ethic become more important because teams trust they will keep themselves in shape?

Will players who are drafted be able to work out with their teams and learn their playbook? If so, would project players be more highly valued because there would be more time for the coaching staff would have time to work with that player?

if the lockout goes through madden 12 becomes a must for football fans

SMoore
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
A lockout is the 'nuclear option' by the owners and if it goes through October, essentially the season will be a waste, considering that rookies won't be able to be signed.

No official team practices, no meeting with coaches, no working out at team facilities, no bonus money, nothing.

Well, how does that effect how teams look at prospects in this years draft?

JoeJoeBrown
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I know a whole bunch of players are going to smoke weed every day.

CashmoneyDrew
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, if there is no CBA agreed to before the draft, the Titans will be forced to use their top pick on a QB even though it seems they'd rather acquire a vet.

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
I know a whole bunch of players are going to smoke weed every day.

Yeah, I expect several Mike Williams' clones to show up to practice once the lockout ends.

gpngc
02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
This doesn't have to do with the draft but a lockout could affect the season in a big way (if offseason time is missed - a good amount of OTAs, mini-camps and TC). It would give an advantage to veteran teams - or teams that have a lot of players used to the same program (same coach, same QB teams).

Up-and-comers such as the Rams, Bucs, and Lions could really use the extra preparation... they may be stuck yet another year away if they miss out on offseason work.

And teams like the 49ers, Vikings, and Titans who have talent but need to integrate a new QB into a transitioning team culture will also be behind.

I'd expect a long lockout would benefit the Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Jets, Ravens, Giants, Saints, and Eagles. These types of teams are so experienced and entrenched in their team philosophy that they could start in Sept. with little preparation and go out there and not miss a beat.

JoeJoeBrown
02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I expect several Mike Williams' clones to show up to practice once the lockout ends.

LOL @ the image of a bunch of fat, lazy potheads showing up to camp 20 lbs overweight and out of shape.

As reference for others, here is an article describing (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/13/when-lockout-starts-league-policies-go-out-the-window/) how the league can't penalize players for drugs (recreational or performance enhancing) nor for violations of league policy (arrests, general douchebaggery).

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
This is almost the exact same scenario that allowed the Redskins to win the SB in 1982 after a strike shortened 9 game regular season.

Veteran teams will have the advantage once the season starts, and IMO the teams with the best rushing attacks. Offenses usually require more practice to get their timing down in the passing game, so there's a chance a solid running team with a stout defense could run the table.

evenar
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I just can't see a lockout effecting the season. The league is selling out most of the games, and the owners would lose a lot of money. I could maybe see a player strike, but I don't think the sides seem to be too far off at this point.

Remember, when there was a lockout in the NHL, a lot of the teams were making money because the player salaries was exceeding ticket sales, the NFL don't have that problem.

LizardState
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Keanu Reaves will make The Replacements 2: the 2nd Lockout b/c he needs the $.

JoeJoeBrown
02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I just can't see a lockout effecting the season. The league is selling out most of the games, and the owners would lose a lot of money. I could maybe see a player strike, but I don't think the sides seem to be too far off at this point.

Remember, when there was a lockout in the NHL, a lot of the teams were making money because the player salaries was exceeding ticket sales, the NFL don't have that problem.

NFL chubby boy sycophant Peter King predicts Labor Day weekend.

DiG
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
i think the most direct impact on the draft that well see might be certain players getting overdrafted based on team needs since teams will not have a period of free agency prior to the draft to begin addressing needs.

killxswitch
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd expect a long lockout would benefit the Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Jets, Ravens, Giants, Saints, and Eagles. These types of teams are so experienced and entrenched in their team philosophy that they could start in Sept. with little preparation and go out there and not miss a beat.

With so many young players playing an important role, and with so many draft picks this year, I do not think the Pats would be in that good of a position if a lockout does indeed happen.