PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Marcus Cannon?

cajuncorey
02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I remenber awhile back when scott had marcus cannon as his number 1 rated offensive lineman. now he doesnt even have him going in the first round. mike mayock doesnt even list him in top OGs. hes a freak athlete with good feet and a naturally huge build. which makes me ask what happened to his draft stock?

Scott Wright
02-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I still have Cannon rated as an early second rounder and like him a lot.

Cannon is going to impress at the Scouting Combine.

killxswitch
02-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Will he still be 350 lbs? I'd guess 330ish is more likely.

Scott Wright
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Will he still be 350 lbs? I'd guess 330ish is more likely.

There's no telling how pre-draft training may or may not have re-shaped Cannon...

JohnCandy
02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I still have Cannon rated as an early second rounder and like him a lot.

Cannon is going to impress at the Scouting Combine.

But why have other scouting people not taken any notice of him?

Mayock not having him in the top 5 worries me, does it mean that his tape is not that good?

Jakey
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Cannon would be perfect for the Steelers, in round 1 even.

TACKLE
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Mayock not having him in the top 5 worries me, does it mean that his tape is not that good?

Yes it does. It's not like he's a bad player but he by no means is dominating. The regard for him as a prospect is based on his rare movement skills for a guy his size and not as much his film.

killxswitch
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
There's no telling how pre-draft training may or may not have re-shaped Cannon...

Wouldn't scouts overall prefer to see a 6'5 lineman be well under 350 lbs regardless of his athletic ability? If he moves well at 350 he should move even better at 330. It's not like 330 is in any way light.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
His agility in workout drills considering his massive stature is going to get him tons of attention.

RaiderNation
02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I still have Cannon as a late 1st-mid 2nd right now. If he looks good at the combine I can see him as the #1 OG taken above Pouncey

regoob2
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I want him in Chicago with our late 1st.

regoob2
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Scott purely as an OG who do you like more, Cannon or Ijalana? Thanks!

PS I voted for you for best draft site. ;)

Mr. Goosemahn
02-15-2011, 09:14 PM
How good a comparison are Shawn Andrews and Carl Nicks for Cannon?

Scott Wright
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Scott purely as an OG who do you like more, Cannon or Ijalana? Thanks!

PS I voted for you for best draft site. ;)

Bribery will get you everywhere! :o)

That is a real tough question... I know it's a cop-out but that really is almost a toss-up. If I had to pick one, gun to my head, I guess I would take Cannon due to the competition factor.

Scott Wright
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
How good a comparison are Shawn Andrews and Carl Nicks for Cannon?

I think Shawn Andrews is an excellent comparison for Cannon.

JohnCandy
02-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I think Shawn Andrews is an excellent comparison for Cannon.

Scott why do you think that people like Mayock and ESPN are sleeping on Cannon?

I have seen no mention of him on any sites or on the NFL Network.

senormysterioso
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Maybe Mayock hasn't gotten to the tape of the Rose Bowl game because Cannon was a monster in that game. He pretty much abused JJ Watt, it was incredible. I'm a huge fan of Cannon's, and also kind of hate him because we lost that game.

cajuncorey
02-15-2011, 11:14 PM
yeah hes a freak and not to mention he was playing left tackle in the rose bowl. hes gotta be a top 5 offensive lineman in this draft that can play 3 maybe even 4 positions on the line

diabsoule
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I really like Marcus Cannon and think he's going to be a great addition for any team that gets him in the 2nd. I think he can go as high as Indy, depending on whose off the board, in the first.

LonghornsLegend
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Absolutely love Marcus Cannon, he's still my #1 Guard atm. Was very surprised Mayock didn't have him listed, seemed odd.

bitonti
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
if you look at his film, the dude never plays out of a 3 point stance. That's not really what NFL teams want to see. It will hurt his stock. Clint Boling, Danny Watkins, Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey are all legitimately better guard prospects. Jason Pinkston and James Brewer also better if you snag em off the tackle list.

ellsy82
02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
He's my eighth top offensive line prospect. Top third guard prospect on my board.

I agree, I think he'll impress at the combine and raise his draft stock.

rawdawg
02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Is it a given that Cannon is a G at the next level? I still think he can play some RT if that's what a team needs. I'd love for him to fall as far as some publications think and have him there at the end of the 2nd round, if the Bears go DT in the 1st.

rawdawg
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
if you look at his film, the dude never plays out of a 3 point stance. That's not really what NFL teams want to see. It will hurt his stock. Clint Boling, Danny Watkins, Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey are all legitimately better guard prospects. Jason Pinkston and James Brewer also better if you snag em off the tackle list.

I thought Boling had a mediocre senior bowl. And he doesn't have Cannon's upside. Watkins has the whole age thing working against him. Hudson is the anti-Cannon and won't fit for a lot of teams that like bigger linemen. Pouncey is a definite though, and you can also throw in Ijalana and Wisnewski as guys who may be better OG prospects than Cannon. Pinkston is interesting at OG, but he's not as big as many teams like their guards and he's not as physical at the POA as a guy like Cannon, meaning he'd be limited to LG in many schemes. Brewer, I don't think is close to Cannon in talent.

ellsy82
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Is it a given that Cannon is a G at the next level? I still think he can play some RT if that's what a team needs. I'd love for him to fall as far as some publications think and have him there at the end of the 2nd round, if the Bears go DT in the 1st.

Before the season started, I had him pegged as a RT due to my mancrush on this prospect and the fact that my team needs a RT something fierce. As the process went further tho, I began to think that someone will draft him as a guard long before a tackle, so that's probably why I've labelled him a guard.

Iamcanadian
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
At 350lbs and maybe more, pro scouts and GM's tend to downgrade a prospect on the OL. He may play great football for a half but at the next level if you are out of shape, you cannot perform for a whole game at a high level.
Cannon's overall grade will be decided at the Combine and he had better show up in shape or teams will slide him on their boards.
If he shows up weighing more than 340lbs. he could slide all the way to round 3. If he should show up at under 330, he could move up quite a bit, it is all up to to him.

JohnCandy
02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
At 350lbs and maybe more, pro scouts and GM's tend to downgrade a prospect on the OL. He may play great football for a half but at the next level if you are out of shape, you cannot perform for a whole game at a high level.
Cannon's overall grade will be decided at the Combine and he had better show up in shape or teams will slide him on their boards.
If he shows up weighing more than 340lbs. he could slide all the way to round 3. If he should show up at under 330, he could move up quite a bit, it is all up to to him.

Just because the man weighs 350lbs does not mean he is not in good shape.

Cannon carries his weight very well at that heavy, because this is not a fat OLmen.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/nfl-draft-top-10-offensive-linemen-/images/marcus-Cannon.8_San_Diego_Stat.jpg

If he shows up to the combine at 335lbs. he will just be making himself money.

killxswitch
02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Just because the man weighs 350lbs does not mean he is not in good shape.

Cannon carries his weight very well at that heavy, because this is not a fat OLmen.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/nfl-draft-top-10-offensive-linemen-/images/marcus-Cannon.8_San_Diego_Stat.jpg

If he shows up to the combine at 335lbs. he will just be making himself money.

Kind of a bad angle. He's not going to be chiseled at 350 lbs. Not that OLmen need to be chiseled but I have a hard time with the idea that a 350 lb. man is in "good shape" even for an offensive tackle or guard. We'll see at the combine.

GaMeTiMe
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
If Cannon proves he has mastered the ability to carry his weight, and I believe he will, I don't see any way he gets past Pittsburgh at 31. Teams like the Eagles, Bears, maybe even as early as the Chiefs at 21 will take a long look at him because he isn't likely to get out of the early 2nd (Buffalo, Cincy, Cleveland, Arizona, Dallas...). However it's also likely at least a few of these teams like guys like Pouncey, Ijalana, Watkins, Hudson, even Wisniewski more than Cannon. I think guys like Boling and Pinkston aren't even close potential-wise.

ellsy82
02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
If Cannon proves he has mastered the ability to carry his weight, and I believe he will, I don't see any way he gets past Pittsburgh at 31. Teams like the Eagles, Bears, maybe even as early as the Chiefs at 21 will take a long look at him because he isn't likely to get out of the early 2nd (Buffalo, Cincy, Cleveland, Arizona, Dallas...). However it's also likely at least a few of these teams like guys like Pouncey, Ijalana, Watkins, Hudson, even Wisniewski more than Cannon. I think guys like Boling and Pinkston aren't even close potential-wise.

Yeah. The second half of the first round is going to littered with defensive and offensive line talent taken. A few OLBs and very few secondary players. The big boys will be coming off the board a lot late in the first day.

These linemen are going to be picked anywhere from 1.20 to 1.32 in the first round due to the lack of other top talent at other positions.

Black Bolt
02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe Mayock hasn't gotten to the tape of the Rose Bowl game because Cannon was a monster in that game. He pretty much abused JJ Watt, it was incredible. I'm a huge fan of Cannon's, and also kind of hate him because we lost that game.

I saw that game and he did not abuse Watt. Watt had a bad game because he kept getting fooled, not because Cannon was dominating him. One time Watt bullrushed him and put Cannon on his back with what appeared to be relative ease. I am not down on Cannon, but it's just not true that he dominated Watt.

bitonti
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
im gonna say it again, teams are wary using a high pick on a lineman thats never in a 3 point stance. Call it the Jason Smith phenomenon but it's not ideal to look at film on a player and never see him put his hand on the ground. This is a bigger obstacle to overcome than QBs who play in the spread. in a world where the 3 point stance is illegal then yes Cannon is a great prospect. But until that happens it's all speculation if he can get low and push on 3rd and short.

K Train
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
for 350 pounds hes not very strong, i dont like him as a guard at all....hes huge, but hes not a huge mauler. someone that carries their weight so well and has light feet like cannon should be playing RT, not guard imo