PDA

View Full Version : BeerBaron's 2-15 Three Rounder w/ Explanations

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm sure you all know the rules by now. Constructive criticism is appreciated, and if you don't like a pick, please give alternatives. I enjoy the insights.

Quite possibly some typos and the like (inevitable in something this big), but if you see a major mistake, like a player listed twice, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

So, without further ado, enjoy!

First Round

1.) Carolina Panthers – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
- This pick has all but become a staple of recent mocks, and rightfully so. With no clear cut #1 QB prospect, it becomes easier for the Panthers to justify sticking with Clausen for another year. While a case certainly could be made for AJ Green or one of the top DE prospects, Fairley takes the cake from both a need and value standpoint.

2.) Denver Broncos – CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
- Though the Broncos would surely love to get Fairley for their conversion back to the 4-3 defense, they miss out. Instead, they turn their attention elsewhere on a defense that is starved for talent. With Champ Bailey likely leaving town and no other particularly worthwhile corners on the roster, the Broncos take the physical freak Peterson here to hopefully give them a lock down corner.

3.) Buffalo Bills – OLB Robert Quinn, North Carolina
- Though missing a year of football will raise questions, Quinn should have every shot to prove his physical prowess leading up to the draft. If he performs as expected, this pick is entirely justified. The Bills missed badly on Aaron Maybin and for any 3-4 defense to work, you must have an elite pass rusher. Quinn certainly possesses the ability to be just that.

4.) Cincinnati Bengals – QB Cam Newton, Auburn
- I think there is more to this Carson Palmer demanding a trade thing that anyone realizes right now, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him pull a Jake Plummer and retire if he is not traded. In that case, unless the Bengals really love Jordan Palmer, they’re going to need a QB and Newton seems to fit the bill of the type of player the Bengals have taken chances with in the past. He may not be the most pro ready prospect ever, but he will put asses in the seats with his enormous potential.

5.) Arizona Cardinals – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
- If they don’t land another QB via trade or free agency, I’ve heard rumors that they’re interesting in Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn, that is definitely an option they’ll have to look at. Barring that, they could use improvements at a number of other positions and CB is one of them. Prince isn’t quite the physical freak that PP is, but he’s the smoother, more natural corner of the two.

6.) Cleveland Browns – DE DaQuan Bowers, Clemson
- The Browns have to make a tough decision between two major need positions here….a DE in Bowers and a WR in Green. Since their defensive front 7 is so devoid of talent and there is always a higher premium on pass rushers, they go Bowers. It’s not often you find yourself with a chance to take the draft’s best pure 4-3 DE the same year you transition back to that defense. Bowers will be a major asset to their rebuilding efforts.

7.) San Francisco 49ers – OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
- While the 49ers may take a long look at the QBs available with this pick, neither seems to fit what Harbaugh likes in his passers. Locker has the intangibles, but is lacking in the accuracy and pocket presence departments that Andrew Luck had in such abundance. The same can be said about Gabbert. So, they hold off on that position for now and instead upgrade their pass rush with Miller.

8.) Tennessee Titans – QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
- With VY looking extremely unlikely to return, even with Fisher gone, the Titans are left with one of the worst looking QB situations in the league. They snap Gabbert right up here without much hesitation. Fairly self explanatory pick, but I like to try and hit 3 lines of explanation when typing first rounders in Word…so…here…is…enough!

9.) Dallas Cowboys – DL Marcel Dareus, Alabama
- While the Cowboys surely would have liked one of the top corners, neither fell this far. Instead, the Cowboys look at address their defensive front which will have a major hole with Spears likely gone. New DC Rob Ryan has experience running multiple fronts to suit the talent, and Dareus is BPA at a need position at this point. Jerry Jones might think long and hard about a certain other player who would look awfully good across from Dez….

10.) Washington Redskins – WR AJ Green, Georgia
- And here is that player. I sat and looked at my position rankings for about 5 minutes trying to figure out how Green fell this far…the only other place I considered him was to Cleveland, but I felt that a top pass rusher trumped a top WR. The Redskins happily take the BPA right here, and even though they need a QB, they aren’t exactly rich in the WR department either. Great value here.

11.) Houston Texans – CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado
- The Texans secondary was quite possibly the worst unit I have ever seen in my football watching career….at least since the old Texans o-line. (Ba-dum-chi!) There are a lot of rumors that Smith is flying up draft boards, and god knows the Texans need any help they can get defending against the pass.

12.) Minnesota Vikings – QB Jake Locker, Washington
- Many in the draft community have cooled on Locker, but a QB with his physical tools and intangibles simply isn’t going to fall that far. Joe Webb proved at the end of last season that, at worst, he could be a serviceable stop gap to compete with a young rookie, so even if it takes Locker a bit to get accustomed to the pro game, the Vikings can give him some time.

13.) Detroit Lions – CB Brandon Harris, Miami
- Reeling off 4 wins to close the season has to feel pretty good to the Lions, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. The secondary still needs some major work, particularly at corner. Harris may not be on the elite level of the top guys in this draft, but he has the skills you want in a #1 corner and provides a major upgrade to anyone the Lions currently have.

14.) St. Louis Rams – WR Julio Jones, Alabama
- The Rams got it done all year despite a lack of top end talent at WR. Jones would immediately remedy that situation and become their true #1 WR. Guys like Avery, Amendola and the like fit in nicely as #2s and 3s too providing Bradford the weapons needed to continue developing.

15.) Miami Dolphins – RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
- With the futures of Brown and Williams up in the air at this point, the Dolphins could really use help at RB. While it is in vogue right now to devalue the position and look for solid players later or after the draft, Ingram’s all around ability will surely appeal to a Parcells built team.

16.) Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Cameron Jordan, Cal
- With Alualu and Knighton solidifying the interior of the Jags d-line, they look to address their DE positions which they’ve struggled with for years. Jordan may not fit the mold as a traditional speed rusher, he plays strong and fast and could easily man the position in the 4-3 as well as the 3-4. He brings the motor that Jack Del Rio is sure to love.

17.) New England Patriots (from Oak) – OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
- A high motor DE/OLB tweener? Sign the Patriots up. He’s in the sigs of enough Pats fans around here that you can go to them for any further explanation if you need it.

18.) San Diego Chargers – OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri
- The Chargers had one of the best offenses and best defenses in football last year…and since you can’t give them special teams help in the first round, they go pass rusher here. Merrimen is long gone and Larry English has failed to live up to expectations. Smith has a ton of athletic ability and should look damn fine across from Shaun Phillips.

19.) New York Giants – OT Tyron Smith, USC
- Age and injury started catching up to the Giants o-line last season, and was one of the reasons behind their struggles. While they have a few younger players waiting in the wings, they could still use more. Smith projects to be a very athletic LT in the pros, though he played RT well as USC. The Giants can afford to let him bulk up in a pro regiment and then plug him into whatever they find is his best fit.

20.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
- Similarly to the Jags, the Bucs look to have found a quality young DT combo headed forward, but could still use help at DE. Clayborn didn’t live up to expectations as a senior, but is still quite talented and would be a great pick to improve their pass rush here.

21.) Kansas City Chiefs – OLB Justin Houston, Georgia
- The Chiefs beat expectations last year making the playoffs, but still have a ways to go before they can be considered serious competitors. They could use help at WR but the position doesn’t seem to be valued too highly according to the “Patriots way” Pioli and crew are used to. They could use help at OLB however, with Tamba nearing FA. He will almost surely be retained, but even if he is, a replacement for the ancient Mike Vrabel is a must.

22.) Indianapolis Colts – OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
- Let’s see if Bill Polian is finally ready to commit to improving the o-line. Peyton proved that he alone can’t do it all anymore, and an improved o-line protecting him and allowing for a better rushing attack would be a major boost.

23.) Philadelphia Eagles – CB Aaron Williams, Texas
- Once upon a time, the Eagles were unbelievably stacked at corner, moving on from Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent and Al Harris seamlessly to Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown and Asante Samuel. But it was exposed as a pretty major weakness last year, and another quality starter across from Samuel is needed badly.

24.) New Orleans Saints – DE JJ Watt, Wisconsin
- I’m sure I don’t need to remind Saints fans of the embarrassing Marshawn Lynch run…but I just did anyway ;p. Help in the run defense has been a major need for years now it would seem, but they keep doing things like drafting corners who don’t help the situation. Watt on the other hand just might…he also fits the bill of larger, more well rounded DEs that the Saints seem to like and has an incredible motor, just rewatch the Ohio State game to see that in action…Terrell Pryor still sees Watt in his nightmares.

25.) Seattle Seahawks – DL Allen Bailey, Miami
- The Seahawks won the league’s weakest division last year and picked up a playoff win almost entirely with smoke and mirrors, especially on defense. They could use help at seemingly any position along the d-line, and a versatile player like Bailey would help out majorly, especially if the lose Brandon Mebane to free agency.

26.) Baltimore Ravens – LB Akeem Ayers, UCLA
- The Ravens are a team that doesn’t mess around when it comes to the draft, in large part because they are so BPA oriented. I’ve seen Ayers projected much higher than this, and if the Ravens fill their major need for a corner via free agency which I feel they will, they can afford to invest this pick in the future. Even Ray won’t be around forever, and in the meantime, they could use an athletic young running mate for him.

27.) Atlanta Falcons – TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
- It looks like Tony Gonzalez will be back for another year, but it’s obvious that he started slowing down last year. And being that TE is such a focal point of their offense, having another talented player to fill in would be a major plus. Rudolph can learn from the all time best at the position while being used in some two TE sets like the Pats used last year.

28.) New England Patriots – DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio State
- Adding talent to the defensive front continues to be a priority for the Pats here. While they have solid rotational type guys at DE, they could use someone who can provide move of an impact, and Heyward represents good value at this point.

29.) Chicago Bears – C/G Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
- Without going on my long “Why Jerry Angelo won’t take an OT” rant, I’ll just point out that I think it’s more likely the Bears go with an interior o-lineman here. Kreutz is a free agent who’s best years are behind him, and with Suh, Raji and the Williams wall all in the division, an upgrade at center is a must. Even if Kreutz is retained for a little while, Wis can easily upgrade either guard position in the short term.

30.) New York Jets – DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
- A prime example of a small school, fast riser is Wilkerson. He was a dominant player at a non-powerhouse school and is already in the first round discussion with room to continue to rise. The Jets have a lot of older veterans on their defensive front, and will need an infusion of youth and talent to stay as one of the league’s best defenses headed forward.

31.) Pittsburgh Steelers – OT Derek Sherrod, Miss. St.
- If not for the Bears, the Steelers may have taken the “worst o-line” cake this past season. They suffered a lot of injuries, true, but even when healthy, a number of their players would be better off at different positions. Starks should be at RT, Colon at G, Kemo back in Samoa not getting penalties, etc. Sherrod could come in from day one and provide a young upgrade for either tackle spot.

32.) Green Bay Packers – OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona
- I feel like I saw this in another mock, can’t recall who’s, but the pick made so much sense I couldn’t believe it. It also scares the bejesus out of me as a Bears fan with the though of Matthews and Reed both coming after my QB at the same time…good god.

Round Two

33.) New England Patriots (From Car) – OL Ben Ijalana, Villanova
- Ijalana seems to be a board favorite around here, with some saying he could even stay as a LT in the pros and be a great one. If not, he will surely make for an excellent guard and the Pats could use help at either sooner rather than later.

34.) Buffalo Bills – OT Nate Solder, Colorado
- He seemed to struggle at the Senior Bowl from what I read, but his athletic abilities make him good value at this point, and the Bills could use a better blind side protector.

35.) Cincinnati Bengals – WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt
- With TO and Ocho almost certainly on their way out, the Bengals will need a top target for Newton to throw to, and if not for some character concerns (something the Bengals have never had trouble overlooking) Baldwin would surely be a first rounder with his potential.

36.) Denver Broncos – DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State
- The Broncos finally land some much needed DT help here with a guy most have as a first rounder, so great value on top of filling a major need.

37.) Cleveland Browns – WR Titus Young, Boise State
- Desean Jackson 2.0 people are calling him…Young seems to be exactly what the Browns need too. They got their d-line help in the first and get their playmaking WR here.

38.) Arizona Cardinals – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
- Even if they had a quality QB last year, they probably wouldn’t have been able to protect him all that well. Carimi might not be an ideal NFL LT, but he could be a solid one or, at worst, a quality RT. And the Cards could use his run blocking prowess having finished dead last in the league.

39.) Tennessee Titans – DT Drake Nevis, LSU
- Losing Jim Washburn hurts in a number of ways, most notably, they can’t expect to get good performances out of marginal talent. Nevis can be a disruptive force on the interior, even if he’s a bit undersized.

40.) Dallas Cowboys – S Rahim Moore, UCLA
- Well the Alan Ball experiment failed badly…so the Cowboys look for their centerfielding ball hawk here.

41.) Washington Redskins – G Rodney Hudson, Florida State
- Trent Williams looks like their LT of the future, but the rest of their o-line could use some work. Hudson is undersized but experienced and athletic, exactly the type Shanny likes.

42.) Houston Texans – DT Corey Liuget, Illinois
- Improving their pass defense can also be sped up by improving the pass rush. Super Mario can’t do it all himself, and Liuget is a legit first round talent who’s fallen just a bit here.

43.) Minnesota Vikings – CB/S Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
- The Vikings secondary was repeatedly torched last year, and their safety play deserves a lot of the blame. Madeiu Williams may have won Man of the Year, but that won’t help him break up passes anytime soon…Dowling might be too slow to stick at corner, but could convert to S and be better for it.

44.) Detroit Lions – S Quinton Carter, Nebraska
- Louis Delmas took a few steps back last year, but he was still the Lions best safety. Carter is experienced and the type of all around solid player the Lions could use back there.

45.) San Francisco 49ers – QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
- Even with Mallett still on the board, the 49ers take a player who looks to fit what Harbaugh likes a bit better to develop at QB.

46.) Denver Broncos (from Mia) – OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
- Zane Beadles already looks like a terrible McD pick, and Chris Kuper isn’t anything great at the other guard spot either.

47.) St. Louis Rams – LB Mason Foster, Washington
- Another guy popular on these boards, Foster could wind up going even higher than this with good workouts. Would be an ideal running mate for Pile Jumper and be an upgrade over either current OLB.

48.) Oakland Raiders – C Kris O’Dowd, USC
- You can never be quite sure what the Raiders are thinking, and as long as Al Davis still….lives?....it will probably be that way. An upgrade at center makes some sense though, and O’Dowd has the talent to outperform this draft slot if he can stay healthy.

49.) Jacksonville Jaguars – S DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson
- When was the last time the Jags had a quality safety? Donovan Darius 5 years ago?

50.) San Diego Chargers – WR Torrey Smith, Maryland
- Phillip Rivers proved that he could still get it done regardless of who he was throwing to, but more talent at the WR is a must, especially if they lose Vincent Jackson. Smith has first round potential so getting him here is a steal.

51.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – OL Marcus Cannon, TCU
- Donald Penn is a solid starter at LT, but any other spot on the line could stand to be upgraded. Cannon has excellent value at this point and I’m a little surprised he was still on the board. Could start at G or RT for them.

52.) New York Giants – RB Mikel Leshoure, Illinois
- It seems that only one of the Jacobs or Bradshaw will be brought back, and regardless of which it is, they will need a compliment. Leshoure is more well rounded than either and could be an every down back for them if need be.

53.) Indianapolis Colts – G Danny Watkins, Baylor
- Again, this is dependant on the Colts truly wanting to upgrade the o-line. Watkins has first round talent but his age and experience concerns may hold him back a bit. He’d surely provide a boost to the Colts run game.

54.) Philadelphia Eagles – LB Martez Wilson, Illinois
- The Eagles defense was always at it’s best when they had a powerful thumper inside, be it Jeremiah Trotter years ago or a healthy Stewart Bradley recently. Unfortunately, Bradley has been anything but healthy and it would seem that he was noticeably slower even before this most recent injury. Wilson has the tools to be a beast inside for them, or could upgrade either OLB spot in a pinch.

55.) Kansas City Chiefs – WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
- The Chiefs need a playmaker for opposite Dwayne Bowe and Jernigan’s speed would give their offense the big play threat at the position that they’ve been missing.

56.) New Orleans Saints – LB Greg Jones, Michigan State
- I’m going to remind Saints fans again of the Marshawn Lynch run as the epitome of their defense’s biggest flaw. They need a running mate for Vilma and Jones could easily provide that.

57.) Seattle Seahawks – CB Brandon Burton, Utah
- Earl Thomas looks like a keeper, but free agency, age and regression have or will take their toll on the rest of that secondary. Burton could wind up going much higher than this.

58.) Baltimore Ravens – WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami
- While the Ravens did improve their WR corps last year, they did it almost entirely with older veterans. Hankerson is good value at this point which the Ravens love, and can easily upgrade/replace Mason, Housh or Stallworth.

59.) Atlanta Falcons – DE Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma
- Jon Abraham isn’t getting any younger and their depth at DE is unproven at best. Beal is good value here and was a 3 year team captain, something the Falcons brass has looked at in the past.

60.) New England Patriots – LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College
- Not the biggest need in the world, especially since they took a pass rusher in the first, but with so many picks, they can be afforded a few luxuries. Herzlich just screams being a Patriots type of player and has a little versatility in their scheme.

61.) San Diego Chargers (from NYJ) – DE Christian Ballard, Iowa
- Can never have too much depth on the d-line and Ballard is solid value at this point.

62.) Chicago Bears – DT Jurrell Casey, USC
- Anthony Adams is a free agent and Tommie Harris is unlikely to be kept at his current salary. That leaves the Bears with a major need for help at DT and Casey is the type of player Jerry Angelo has liked in the past.

63.) Pittsburgh Steelers – NT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss
- Age and injury have really started catching up to the Steelers defensive front, particularly along the d-line. Casey Hampton is 33 and backup Chris Hoke is even older at 34, and with the 3-4 in vogue, true NTs need to be picked up wherever available.

64.) Green Bay Packers – RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State
- Brandon Jackson was rather underwhelming as a big play threat at RB, and a wide open offense like the Packers could use a player like Hunter to take better advantage of the defense being opened up.

Round Three

65.) Carolina Panthers – CB Curtis Brown, Texas
- Richard Marshall will be a free agent and the corner depth is rather lacking.

66.) Cincinnati Bengals – S Robert Sands, West Virginia
- Safety has been an issue for the Bengals for years now, and they have the talent otherwise to be a quality defense.

67.) Denver Broncos – LB Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
- The conversion back to the 4-3 calls for a different kind of linebacker, and the Broncos are currently lacking many good players at the position.

68.) Buffalo Bills – QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
- After passing on QB in the last few rounds, the Bills go that way now with Kaepernick. He will be a project, but fits what Chan Gailey likes as a more mobile QB and can learn behind Fitzpatrick for a while at first.

69.) Arizona Cardinals – OLB Dontay Moch, Nevada
- Joey Porter isn’t getting any younger and the Cardinals don’t have many other proven players at LB currently. Moch has ridiculous athleticism and could be a steal if he reaches his potential.

70.) Cleveland Browns – LB Casey Matthews, Oregon
- The Browns are a real who’s who at LB, and could use an upgrade at any position if they move back to the 4-3.

71.) Dallas Cowboys – G John Moffitt, Wisconsin
- Doug Free was the Cowboys biggest question mark prior to the season, and he actually turned out to be their best lineman. They could use some help pretty much anywhere else and Moffitt will surely upgrade on of the interior spots.

72.) New Orleans Saints (From Wash) – DT Phil Taylor, Baylor
- More upgrades to the defensive front. A massive DT will greatly help shut down the run.

73.) Houston Texans – S Ahmad Black, Florida
- Another pick to upgrade that woeful pass defense.

74.) New England Patriots (from Min) – OL Clint Boling, Georgia
- Another versatile o-lineman who could lock down a future G or T spot along that aging o-line.

75.) Detroit Lions – DE Greg Romeus, Pitt
- If not for the injury concerns, Romeus would likely have been a first rounder. The Lions gamble a bit here, but if it pays off, they could land a stud pass rusher at a bargain draft pick price.

76.) San Francisco 49ers – CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville
- A favored player amongst draftniks and a guy rising up draft boards. The 49ers need some youth and depth at CB.

77.) Tennessee Titans – S Deunta Williams, North Carolina
- Michael Griffin seems to have one safety spot on lockdown, but Chris Hope isn’t getting any younger and will be a free agent in another year.

78,) St. Louis Rams – RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
- There is the chance that McD doesn’t bother using a RB like he did in Denver, but if he does, a compliment/backup for Stephen Jackson is needed and Murray is good value at this point.

79.) Miami Dolphins – TE Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
- The Dolphins could use a more explosive playmaker behind the well-rounded but unimpressive Fasano.

80.) Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
- The Jags pass on Mallett again due to his character concerns and instead take the local prospect in Ponder to develop behind Garrard.

81.) Oakland Raiders – CB Davon House, New Mexico State
- A pet prospect of many around this board, the Raiders need some help at corner, especially if Aso cannot be resigned.

82.) San Diego Chargers – OL DeMarcus Love, Arkansas
- His stock has taken a bit of a hit so far this offseason, but he’s still a versatile lineman who could find a spot or at least be a valuable backup.

83.) New York Giants – DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina
- Austin has tons of talent but it doesn’t show in his production. Being suspended didn’t help him either. The Giants could use some help at DT, and Austin could be a steal if they get him going.

84.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – LB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU
- Both Barrett Ruud and Quincy Black will be free agents, and Sheppard is a player whose stock is on the rise.

85.) Philadelphia Eagles – OL Jason Pinkston, Pitt
- Michael Vick’s mobility helped to mask some of Philly’s o-line problems that were apparent early in the year. Pinkston could potentially play G or T and be a versatile piece for the future.

86.) Kansas City Chiefs – NT Kendrick Ellis, Hampton
- If the rumors of them signing Shaun Rogers are true, this pick might go differently, but for now, they need an upgrade at NT and Ellis’ stock is on the rise.

87.) Indianapolis Colts – C Alex Linnenkohl, Oregon State
- Jeff Saturday won’t be around forever and center is perhaps the 2nd most important position on their offense after Peyton.

88.) New Orleans Saints – S Jaiquan Jarrett, Temple
- Roman Harper is a free agent who was exposed late last season, and Darren Sharper’s best days are long behind him. Jarrett could make for a solid piece in tandem with Malcolm Kelly who looked like a keeper when healthy.

89.) San Diego Chargers – CB Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech
- Antoine Cason really stepped up last year opposite Quentin Jammer, but Jammer will be 32 and the depth behind them could be upgraded.

90.) Baltimore Ravens – CB Kendric Burney, North Carolina
- Like I said before, I think the Ravens are a prime candidate to reel in a big free agent corner, they are losing almost everyone currently on the roster to free agency, so depth there is needed.

91.) Atlanta Falcons – WR Edmund Gates, Abilene Christian
- The Falcons lacked explosion on offense last season, and Gates could help remedy that given his 18.3 YPC average in college.

92.) New England Patriots – C Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock
- I’m tired of typing things about the Patriots….Fusco is the first prospect I ever got to scout in person this year and he dominated my alma mater Clarion. Could develop a bit behind Dan Koppen and eventually take over the starting role.

93.) Chicago Bears – FS Jeron Johnson, Boise State
- Dan Manning is a free agent who will likely test the market and Chris Harris seems to be losing speed all the time. If Major Wright can land one of the starting spots, a ball hawk for next to him would be a great compliment and Johnson has that type of ability.

94.) New York Jets – LB Colin McCarthy, Miami
- While David Harris will likely be retained one way or another, Bart Scott isn’t getting any younger and depth behind them could be used.

95.) Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Jalil Brown, Colorado
- Whenever they can be forced to spread out, like vs. the Packers and Pats last year, the Steelers defense can be made vulnerable. Outside of Ike Taylor, the Steelers corners aren’t all that good and help is needed.

96.) Green Bay Packers – OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida
- Chad Clifton is pushing 35 and I’ve always thought that Bulaga will be best as a RT only, so a future starter at LT is needed, which Gilbert can be.

RaiderNation
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
It would be hard to pass on Cannon in the 2nd. He could be a huge upgrade for us at RT/RG if Langston Walker isnt brought back. I also think O'Dowd is a reach now in the 2nd. He didnt look good at the Senior bowl and many are thinking his stock is in the 3rd/4th range.

I dont think House will run a good enough 40 to catch Al's eye, even though he does fit the Raiders image as a CB. I think Carmichael could be a fit for us in the 3rd and also Kendric Burney since we did talk to him at the Senior Bowl

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
It would be hard to pass on Cannon in the 2nd. He could be a huge upgrade for us at RT/RG if Langston Walker isnt brought back. I also think O'Dowd is a reach now in the 2nd. He didnt look good at the Senior bowl and many are thinking his stock is in the 3rd/4th range.

I dont think House will run a good enough 40 to catch Al's eye, even though he does fit the Raiders image as a CB. I think Carmichael could be a fit for us in the 3rd and also Kendric Burney since we did talk to him at the Senior Bowl

Reasonable. Cannon kept dropping and I there just kept being better players available to the teams I considered him for...I could see it.

As for corner, given the Raiders unpredictability, I went with my personal rankings where House was the best available. It's hard to tell what Al will do.

Bald_81
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Ryan Williams falling to the fourth round? If the Rams passed on him for DeMarco Murray I'd throw a hissy fit.

Hines
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Carimi>Sherrod, please.

Other than that, solid work.

T-RICH49
02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
even if we signed Rodgers it'd probably be a 1 year deal so Ellis is still a good pick

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Ryan Williams falling to the fourth round? If the Rams passed on him for DeMarco Murray I'd throw a hissy fit.

Hmm...well, I felt Murray the better compliment to Jackson, but I could see either I suppose.

Carimi>Sherrod, please.

Other than that, solid work.

So you can have another guy who be best at RT playing LT? I'm not sure I'm on the Carimi as an NFL LT train...could he be an upgrade there for several teams? Yes, but ideally, I'd have him as my RT.

even if we signed Rodgers it'd probably be a 1 year deal so Ellis is still a good pick

Good to know.

Babylon
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
New England

Kerrigan
Heyward
Ijalana
Herzlich
Boling

There are going to be a lot of Pats' fans getting all tingley tonight.

fed36
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
My dream scenario for the skins is that AJ Green falls to them - so I love this draft....not really sure he will drop that far but I have no qualms with the selection. Ok with Hudson for the second round - but if we go for offensive line help in the second - I think I would prefer Pouncey

Bengals78
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
BB,
I usually like your posts. You kill it in whatever incarnation of the funny pics thread we are on now. But seriously. **** that ****.
I cant say how much I hate those picks. Not that any number of pics after selecting Newton would actually make this draft a success.

but he will put asses in the seats with his enormous potential.

This is enormously false right now. People are so pissed off with Lewis/Brown only Brown's death will put asses back in seats.

Jakey
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Carimi, Pouncey or Cannon in the first round and that would be a perfect Steelers mock!

Sherrod doesnt fit the Steelers scheme that well, and lacks the nastiness of Carimi, Cannon or Pouncey.

Other than that A+

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
New England

Kerrigan
Heyward
Ijalana
Herzlich
Boling

Nice. How about the Seahawks? I never get Seahawks feedback.

vidae
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I love that KC mock, and like T-RICH said, even if Rogers comes here we need someone in the rotation to develop.

Also something to note, if Wiegmann decides to retire then C jumps to being our #1 need. Just something for the future!

Always love your mocks. Good job on KC!

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 04:59 PM
My dream scenario for the skins is that AJ Green falls to them - so I love this draft....not really sure he will drop that far but I have no qualms with the selection. Ok with Hudson for the second round - but if we go for offensive line help in the second - I think I would prefer Pouncey

Yeah, other than the Browns, I just couldn't find a spot for him with the way things fell...good to know he'll have a home in Redskins land at worst.

BB,
I usually like your posts. You kill it in whatever incarnation of the funny pics thread we are on now. But seriously. **** that ****.
I cant say how much I hate those picks. Not that any number of pics after selecting Newton would actually make this draft a success.

but he will put asses in the seats with his enormous potential.

This is enormously false right now. People are so pissed off with Lewis/Brown only Brown's death will put asses back in seats.

Well....um....Did I do that?

http://images3.makefive.com/images/entertainment/television/best-or-worst-catch-phrases/did-i-do-that-7.jpg

But seriously, until Brown dies, I'm afraid you'll be stuck with scenarios like this. If I were an assassin I'd offer to help, but I'm not...so...my apologies.

Carimi, Pouncey or Cannon in the first round and that would be a perfect Steelers mock!

Sherrod doesnt fit the Steelers scheme that well, and lacks the nastiness of Carimi, Cannon or Pouncey.

Other than that A+

See my above post about why I wouldn't go Carimi. And Pouncey is nothing like his brother...not terrible, but not near that level. I felt like I was beating my head against a wall trying to explain to that to my in-person Steelers fan friends.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I love that KC mock, and like T-RICH said, even if Rogers comes here we need someone in the rotation to develop.

Also something to note, if Wiegmann decides to retire then C jumps to being our #1 need. Just something for the future!

Always love your mocks. Good job on KC!

Good to know. I knew of center being a need and kept looking for a way to get it in there, but other than making a reach of Fusco even reach-ier in the 3rd, and giving him to you over superior value in Ellis, it just didn't fall that way.

Babylon
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Nice. How about the Seahawks? I never get Seahawks feedback.

Not a huge Allen Bailey fan and with most of the top corners gone i'd go with Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod there.

Sniper
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
23.) Philadelphia Eagles – CB Aaron Williams, Texas

*Sniper reaches into pants, begins fapping*

54.) Philadelphia Eagles – LB Martez Wilson, Illinois

*Sniper continues fapping*

85.) Philadelphia Eagles – OL Jason Pinkston, Pitt

*Fapping complete*

Pinkston's the only one I'm meh on. He's a little small if he's 305 for an Andy Reid OL.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Not a huge Allen Bailey fan and with most of the top corners gone i'd go with Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod there.

Don't think they'll bring back Locklear? I think that's a place they could look at in free agency too...a number of good ones available.

And Bailey seems to be hit or miss for most people. Some love him, some want nothing to do with him. It's hard to tell where he'll end up.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
*Sniper reaches into pants, begins fapping*

*Sniper continues fapping*

*Fapping complete*

Pinkston's the only one I'm meh on. He's a little small if he's 305 for an Andy Reid OL.

True on Pinkston. I guess you need to weigh more than Reid to be an o-lineman in Philly.

Also, Martez Wilson inside in a Jim Johnson style defense could destroy the world. I hope they keep that defense...it's a good one.

Matthew Jones
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Great first round for New England. Ijalana is possible (I believe the Patriots have scouted him), but I think Danny Watkins, Mike Pouncey, or Nate Solder is more likely. Solder is the BPA and he and the other two seem to be more along the lines of what New England is looking for. Herzlich makes no sense for the Patriots. He is the type of player they would like, but they're loaded at ILB and outside he'd project as the same type of player Rob Ninkovich is. I love Herzy and will wish him luck wherever he goes but he almost certainly won't end up in New England. John Moffitt, Ahmad Black, and DeMarco Murray are guys to consider there. The third round is also way too early for Fusco to come off the board - I share a mutual friend with him and supposedly he doesn't expect to be selected until round five or so. If New England misses on Wisniewski, I don't think they'll take a center too early, since the rest project as Koppen-types who may struggle vs. nose tackles. My draft based on who was left at each spot:

1. LB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
1. DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio St.
2. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. FS Ahmad Black, Florida
3. RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
3. OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida

Don Vito
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
New England

Kerrigan
Heyward
Ijalana
Herzlich
Boling

That is a pretty awesome Pats mock. Under most circumstances I would say that we don't need two linebackers in the first three rounds, but if the second one is Herzy then I can't complain. I would be very happy with that draft.

Jakey
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree with both statements man, i also think Carimi would be better suited to the right side, but he seems to fit the mold for Steelers LT's...neither Marvel Smith or Max Starks have been suited to the left side, but they were servicable and i think Carimi has better natural ability then those two. Also i dont think Mike will be the player than Maurkice is either, but his comfort level with Maurkice and his ability to pull/trap would probably be enough for the Steelers to pull the trigger.

With all that being said though, i would love to land Cannon at 31, even if it is a reach!

proshoota25
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
id be happy wit that Pats mock.... but ROP's pats mock is way too sexy to resist..

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Great first round for New England. Ijalana is possible (I believe the Patriots have scouted him), but I think Danny Watkins, Mike Pouncey, or Nate Solder is more likely. Solder is the BPA and he and the other two seem to be more along the lines of what New England is looking for. Herzlich makes no sense for the Patriots. He is the type of player they would like, but they're loaded at ILB and outside he'd project as the same type of player Rob Ninkovich is. I love Herzy and will wish him luck wherever he goes but he almost certainly won't end up in New England. John Moffitt, Ahmad Black, and DeMarco Murray are guys to consider there. The third round is also way too early for Fusco to come off the board - I share a mutual friend with him and supposedly he doesn't expect to be selected until round five or so. If New England misses on Wisniewski, I don't think they'll take a center too early, since the rest project as Koppen-types who may struggle vs. nose tackles. My draft based on who was left at each spot:

1. LB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
1. DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio St.
2. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. FS Ahmad Black, Florida
3. RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
3. OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida

I wouldn't have thought much about RB given the love affair with BGE and Woodhead. Maybe a bigger guy later on, but I wouldn't have thought Murray.

And Black...you think something will happen with Merriweather? Safety is another spot I wouldn't have though much about.

That is a pretty awesome Pats mock. Under most circumstances I would say that we don't need two linebackers in the first three rounds, but if the second one is Herzy then I can't complain. I would be very happy with that draft.

See, with the Pats this year, you can say first 3 rounds...but really it's 6 picks. And given that they can be an extremely difficult team to peg, I started running out of good ideas after Ijalana, lol

Babylon
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Don't think they'll bring back Locklear? I think that's a place they could look at in free agency too...a number of good ones available.

And Bailey seems to be hit or miss for most people. Some love him, some want nothing to do with him. It's hard to tell where he'll end up.

Locklear's a free agent who they could probably get for short money but he's 30 with injury issues and character concerns. Good riddance.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
A solid but unspectacular Falcons draft. You probably nailed it.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
A solid but unspectacular Falcons draft. You probably nailed it.

It just wouldn't be Falcons-esque if it were too flashy or explosive or allowed for YAC.

Matthew Jones
02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't have thought much about RB given the love affair with BGE and Woodhead. Maybe a bigger guy later on, but I wouldn't have thought Murray.

And Black...you think something will happen with Merriweather? Safety is another spot I wouldn't have though much about.

With the 18 game season, RB depth will become more important. The Patriots don't really need a workhorse, but someone who could come in for 10-15 touches a game would be a possibility at some point (#60 on for me.) Murray caught 70+ passes this year so he's a tested receiving threat, and he could be very effective as a return man and running the ball out of the shotgun on draws and sweeps. He's a home run threat on a team that lacks a home run threat at running back. Durability/running style is a concern, but as part of a three-back committee he'd be as well protected as it gets in the NFL.

It's possible the Patriots trade Brandon Meriweather - he was benched a couple times this year for freelancing too much and taking bad angles to the ball. He was a Pro Bowler, but if the Patriots could get a second round pick or maybe something in the early third I think they'd strongly consider it. By all accounts they're interested in Black, although if they don't trade Meriweather they won't take him. The Patriots recently fired Corwin Brown, who was working with the DBs, so his firing may signify that they think someone else (in this case, Patricia) could do a better job with Meriweather.

Nalej
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd be down for that Pats mock except I'd take

J.Sheard > M.Herchz
-Sheard has the size and pushes both Kerrigan and Cunningham
J.Kirkpatrick > Fusco
-I'm a big fan of JKP and don't know much about Fusco minus what I read in this thread
M.Gilbert > C.Boiling
-The Florida connection is there... can't ignore it.

so a draft that looks like:

Kerrigan
Heyward
Ijalana
Herzlich
Gilbert
Sheard

= Sexy

thenewfeature06
02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Not a horrible Raiders mock..

O'Dowd has fell off a little bit, I think the problem is though.. after him it drops severely. I wouldn't mind him in that spot but like RN said Cannon would fit and I think Carmichael could maybe run 4.4 type stuff at the combine which is also appealing to that Al guy.

prock
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I am fine with Locker, but I don't think Dowling should go that high. I don't think he can play corner, and would prefer a legitimate safety like McDaneils or Carter there instead of a guy who hope to convert.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Not a horrible Raiders mock..

O'Dowd has fell off a little bit, I think the problem is though.. after him it drops severely. I wouldn't mind him in that spot but like RN said Cannon would fit and I think Carmichael could maybe run 4.4 type stuff at the combine which is also appealing to that Al guy.

That Al guy has to complicate everything.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
It just wouldn't be Falcons-esque if it were too flashy or explosive or allowed for YAC.

I can almost taste Rudolph getting about 15 catches in an injury plagued year, Beal barely playing and not making an impact, and Gates only playing on ST. I can taste it.

G-Men88
02-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Absolutely excellent Giants draft but i sincerely hope we are signing a LB in free agency under this situation because that is the weakest position on this team.

Brent
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Ponder > Stanzi, but either way, Von is a Niner and I explode.

AkiliSmith
02-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Marvin Lewis has been given full control of player personnel. Therefore, Baldwin, and ESPECIALLY Newton, will not be Bengals. Brown is the great redeemer and character risk guy, not Lewis.

There are very very very few Bengal fans who want Newton. Drafting him would have the opposite effect of asses in the seats.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I am fine with Locker, but I don't think Dowling should go that high. I don't think he can play corner, and would prefer a legitimate safety like McDaneils or Carter there instead of a guy who hope to convert.

Indeed. I was more concerned with Locker as so many people are so sour on him right now.

I can almost taste Rudolph getting about 15 catches in an injury plagued year, Beal barely playing and not making an impact, and Gates only playing on ST. I can taste it.

Yet the Falcons go like 11-5 (first round playoff exit) and Mike Smith gets an extension, Mularkey is hired elsewhere as a head coach and Bratkowski is promoted to OC.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Absolutely excellent Giants draft but i sincerely hope we are signing a LB in free agency under this situation because that is the weakest position on this team.

I considered going Martez in the 2nd, but they seemed to like their 3 safety approach...wasn't sure how to go for them. Even if it was a linebacker....what type do they need?

Ponder > Stanzi, but either way, Von is a Niner and I explode.

Ponder has never passed my eye test, and he plays smaller than he actually measured I think. And I think he has a noodley arm. But....it's possible.

Marvin Lewis has been given full control of player personnel. Therefore, Baldwin, and ESPECIALLY Newton, will not be Bengals. Brown is the great redeemer and character risk guy, not Lewis.

There are very very very few Bengal fans who want Newton. Drafting him would have the opposite effect of asses in the seats.

I hope then that Marvin can talk Carson into staying...not that he was especially good last year or anything. Because it is possible to do worse than Newton believe it or not.

derza222
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Wilkerson to the Jets in the first is solid. The one thing I'd caution there is that since Ryan has come to the Jets the defensive line has not been a premium position. They bring in cheap veteran depth who he's familiar with, and for the most part seem to have ignore the position in the draft despite it being a need. Assuming they change their mind this year, it's a good pick.

McCarthy I'm not a fan of, particularly with the recent announcement that David Harris will be franchised. The Jets have way too many needs to make a luxury/depth pick like that, given as the team is currently composed ILB is probably the strongest position besides center. Given FA probably won't be happening before the draft, when the draft is happening the Jets will have some huge holes. Right now essentially both players who started at FS are free agents, it looks like starting RT Damien Woody will be cut and Vlad Ducasse will be competing with somebody to start there, both starting WR's and Brad Smith are all free agents, at least one if not both of Bryan Thomas and Jason Taylor should be gone this offseason, #2 and #3 corners Cromartie and Drew Coleman are free agents, and there's a hole at nose tackle as well where Kris Jenkins will need to take a pay cut or leave. I'd say ILB is towards the bottom of the totem pole in terms of needs for the Jets.

BaLLiN
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
1. Tyron Smith OT
2. Mikel Leshoure RB
3. Marvin Austin DT

thatd be a pretty potential-filled class for the giants, but LB is still a pretty big need and Martez Wilson would be appealing...

Grizzlegom
02-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Good Phins picks.

G-Men88
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I considered going Martez in the 2nd, but they seemed to like their 3 safety approach...wasn't sure how to go for them. Even if it was a linebacker....what type do they need?

We need more athleticism on defense. The reason we go 3 safety so often is because of the lack of that at the LB position. I was surprised to see Akeem Ayers available there in the first, we would probably pull the trigger in this situation. But we will see if a LB is a target in free agency.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Wilkerson to the Jets in the first is solid. The one thing I'd caution there is that since Ryan has come to the Jets the defensive line has not been a premium position. They bring in cheap veteran depth who he's familiar with, and for the most part seem to have ignore the position in the draft despite it being a need. Assuming they change their mind this year, it's a good pick.

McCarthy I'm not a fan of, particularly with the recent announcement that David Harris will be franchised. The Jets have way too many needs to make a luxury/depth pick like that, given as the team is currently composed ILB is probably the strongest position besides center. Given FA probably won't be happening before the draft, when the draft is happening the Jets will have some huge holes. Right now essentially both players who started at FS are free agents, it looks like starting RT Damien Woody will be cut and Vlad Ducasse will be competing with somebody to start there, both starting WR's and Brad Smith are all free agents, at least one if not both of Bryan Thomas and Jason Taylor should be gone this offseason, #2 and #3 corners Cromartie and Drew Coleman are free agents, and there's a hole at nose tackle as well where Kris Jenkins will need to take a pay cut or leave. I'd say ILB is towards the bottom of the totem pole in terms of needs for the Jets.

You can't always expect to go back to the experienced veteran well and always find success. If they can't get a NT to replace Jenkins there, a quality 5-tech is the next best thing.

As for ILB...yeah I guess I overthought it a bit. I think you'll bring back at least one of Santonio and Braylon, and If you let Cro go, I expect you to bring in another veteran. Nnamdi would be a sick pickup.

1. Tyron Smith OT
2. Mikel Leshoure RB
3. Marvin Austin DT

thatd be a pretty potential-filled class for the giants, but LB is still a pretty big need and Martez Wilson would be appealing...

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what type of LB was needed though.

Good Phins picks.

I don't think I've changed their first rounder yet this year.

derza222
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
You can't always expect to go back to the experienced veteran well and always find success. If they can't get a NT to replace Jenkins there, a quality 5-tech is the next best thing.

As for ILB...yeah I guess I overthought it a bit. I think you'll bring back at least one of Santonio and Braylon, and If you let Cro go, I expect you to bring in another veteran. Nnamdi would be a sick pickup.

As for the first part, I agree 100%. It's not that I don't think they should go with a defensive lineman, I think building in the trenches is the way to go, just pointing out they haven't done it so it may be less likely than mock drafts would indicate.

I also agree odds are at least one of the WR's will be brought in and corner shouldn't be an issue either. Not sure how much I trust Cotchery as a starter though and either way a #3 would be necessary, safety's a major concern, same with NT as you covered, OLB's probably not that likely if they don't do it in the first round but definitely a possibility, and same with OL depth. Also, given the premium put on corner play and how important running the ball is to Ryan's philosophy, I'd never be surprised by a RB or corner.

george_allen
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
you’d be hard pressed to find a rams fan that would argue with you’re pick at 14.
i found it interesting that after 2 pages of responses none of the fans from the teams in front of washington said “give us green instead of _____ “. hmmm

in the 2nd round, though, i’d much rather see marcus cannon over foster. you’re right, the rams do need an olb but guard is at least as much of a need and cannon strikes me as a better value there. truth be told, i wouldn’t be surprised to see jacob bell being cut if they had someone to replace him, given his recent performance versus what his salary is in 2011. but in the meantime, they need someone in front of goldberg right away.

not at all opposed to murray in the 3rd, or as the other rams fan that commented, williams.
an alternative consideration would be 1 of the 2 dts still available there – austin or ellis. we need some one along side robbins in the short term and some one to replace him just a little further out – and we know the weight spags puts on the d-line

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
you’d be hard pressed to find a rams fan that would argue with you’re pick at 14.
i found it interesting that after 2 pages of responses none of the fans from the teams in front of washington said “give us green instead of _____ “. hmmm

in the 2nd round, though, i’d much rather see marcus cannon over foster. you’re right, the rams do need an olb but guard is at least as much of a need and cannon strikes me as a better value there. truth be told, i wouldn’t be surprised to see jacob bell being cut if they had someone to replace him, given his recent performance versus what his salary is in 2011. but in the meantime, they need someone in front of goldberg right away.

not at all opposed to murray in the 3rd, or as the other rams fan that commented, williams.
an alternative consideration would be 1 of the 2 dts still available there – austin or ellis. we need some one along side robbins in the short term and some one to replace him just a little further out – and we know the weight spags puts on the d-line

Bengals fans would probably much prefer Green to Newton, but I wasn't having it....Cleveland fans might have a legitimate gripe. But I think getting Bowers then Young in the 2nd would be better overall than Green then some random front 7 defender in the 2nd.

As for Cannon, I could buy it, but I like the way your set up at both tackle spots and center. I don't think you need all that great of guards plugged in there to get the job done. A good number will be available in free agency this year and I think you can find upgrades there. Now, Foster upgrading Chamberlain or Vobora would be nice. Matter of preference I guess.

george_allen
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
As for Cannon, I could buy it, but I like the way your set up at both tackle spots and center. I don't think you need all that great of guards plugged in there to get the job done. A good number will be available in free agency this year and I think you can find upgrades there. Now, Foster upgrading Chamberlain or Vobora would be nice. Matter of preference I guess.

fair enough. i'm happy with the tackles and center too. it would make for an interesting right side of the o-line for jackson to run behind though with brown-cannon-smith. but i have my doubts that's the direction mcdaniels will be taking the offense in . . .

i guess they could look to fa for an olb too though. just out of curiosity, where on your "board" would you have cannon and where's foster?

Seasonticketholder
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I cannot be upset that we did not grab at RB since both Ingram and later Leshoure are off the board when we pick. RB is a HUGE need for us but outside of Ingram and Leshoure, I am not sure there's a guy out there I really like over the guys we could potentially take on defense.

I like the picks though there are a few changes I would make. I would take Phil Taylor over Greg Jones in the second. That would then allow us to take Ahmad Black with our first pick in the third. With our second pick, I would then grab Bruce Carter. That would give us Watt, Taylor, Black and Carter.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
fair enough. i'm happy with the tackles and center too. it would make for an interesting right side of the o-line for jackson to run behind though with brown-cannon-smith. but i have my doubts that's the direction mcdaniels will be taking the offense in . . .

i guess they could look to fa for an olb too though. just out of curiosity, where on your "board" would you have cannon and where's foster?

I don't quite have a formal "board", more like position rankings and players in "tiers."

I have Foster as my 2nd best 4-3 LB after Ayers, and have both he and Cannon in this 3rd tier of prospects, which typically falls around the late first/first half of the 2nd round..

Hope that makes sense....it all works in my head, lol. I didn't think Cannon would have fallen that far, but every time I thought about making him the pick, someone better was available for each team. I'll think of the Rams needing a guard now.

And yeah, you have to take how McD does things into consideration a bit. He's already cut your FB, so I think any power running will be out of the question. I think he'll try to run your offense similar to what he did with the Patriots, lots of spreading it out, the short passing game taking the place of the traditional run game, and any actual runs coming in the form of draws and delayed handoffs.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I cannot be upset that we did not grab at RB since both Ingram and later Leshoure are off the board when we pick. RB is a HUGE need for us but outside of Ingram and Leshoure, I am not sure there's a guy out there I really like over the guys we could potentially take on defense.

I like the picks though there are a few changes I would make. I would take Phil Taylor over Greg Jones in the second. That would then allow us to take Ahmad Black with our first pick in the third. With our second pick, I would then grab Bruce Carter. That would give us Watt, Taylor, Black and Carter.

I'll admit, Bruce Carter slipped through the cracks. Just checked my list and sure enough, he wasn't crossed off......And I do think Taylor will go higher than where I had him. His stock is on the rise and the high 2nd round wouldn't surprise me, so I can understand wanting to grab him earlier.

george_allen
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't quite have a formal "board", more like position rankings and players in "tiers."

I have Foster as my 2nd best 4-3 LB after Ayers, and have both he and Cannon in this 3rd tier of prospects, which typically falls around the late first/first half of the 2nd round..

Hope that makes sense....it all works in my head, lol.

yeah, i think i got you. you really don't have foster and cannon that far apart overall if i followed you correctly. i think i might have cannon a little farther ahead of foster, hence my value comment originally, but that helps me understand the pick.

i certainly agree on the mcdaniels comment, a power running game is not likely.

Brown Leader
02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
First round in that scenario-I agree Bowers would be the pick. DJ 2.0 Titus is not-he's more quick than fast imo-but I could see a little D.Driver in him. You have Matthews grossly overrated-no thanks.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
yeah, i think i got you. you really don't have foster and cannon that far apart overall if i followed you correctly. i think i might have cannon a little farther ahead of foster, hence my value comment originally, but that helps me understand the pick.

i certainly agree on the mcdaniels comment, a power running game is not likely.

You got it, there's a method to my madness....I swear.

49erNation85
02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice three rounds for SF.Stanzi over Ponder seems intersting even with Mallet there.But as you stated though I think Stanzi is a more prove pocket QB and has rose on the rankings for QB.I think he will have the better arm power then Ponder.I dig the other two picks also.Nice work fellas.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
First round in that scenario-I agree Bowers would be the pick. DJ 2.0 Titus is not-he's more quick than fast imo-but I could see a little D.Driver in him. You have Matthews grossly overrated-no thanks.

Yeah, pass rushers will trump almost everything but QBs. And maybe DJ 2.0 is extreme.....DJ-lite how bout?

And I guess I'm just a little higher on Matthews than you.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Nice three rounds for SF.Stanzi over Ponder seems intersting even with Mallet there.But as you stated though I think Stanzi is a more prove pocket QB and has rose on the rankings for QB.I think he will have the better arm power then Ponder.I dig the other two picks also.Nice work fellas.

Well, it was just one fella this time around, lol...but thanks.

And yeah, I don't think Mallett is at all what Harbaugh would want. I think he's coming off as abrasive and is damn near radioactive at this point. I looked through the whole 3 rounds I posted and didn't see a place for him.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
i dig it. i think i could argue about a LB or more DL with the second 2nd round pick, but honestly, i think we need interior OL just as badly.

A Broncos mock that njx is ok with....that's mantle worthy right there.

Canadian_draft_fan
02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
AJ Green & Rodney Hudson to Skins = pure sex.

coordinator0
02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Ayers is an interesting first round pick for the Ravens. I would assume that he plays ILB for us, which is a pretty big need, but I'm not sure if it trumps the need for a pass-rusher or a receiver (or possibly a LT). Still I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not sure it improves the team a whole lot.

Hankerson in the second is nice, I think he would fit in with our system even though we need a speed receiver far more.

Burney is meh. If we do get a corner in free agency like you mentioned, he would be the fourth corner on the roster. FA/Foxworth/Webb/Burney/Cary Williams. You're predicting we lose all 3 of Wilson, Carr, and Washington as well which I don't think is very realistic. Carr will be back at the least, and perhaps Wilson will be as well if we feel comfortable with he and Foxworth possibly being the starters next season.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 09:36 PM
AJ Green & Rodney Hudson to Skins = pure sex.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least think about still going Locker....had to stop Green's fall though. Skins are a good fit.

Ayers is an interesting first round pick for the Ravens. I would assume that he plays ILB for us, which is a pretty big need, but I'm not sure if it trumps the need for a pass-rusher or a receiver (or possibly a LT). Still I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not sure it improves the team a whole lot.

Hankerson in the second is nice, I think he would fit in with our system even though we need a speed receiver far more.

Burney is meh. If we do get a corner in free agency like you mentioned, he would be the fourth corner on the roster. FA/Foxworth/Webb/Burney/Cary Williams. You're predicting we lose all 3 of Wilson, Carr, and Washington as well which I don't think is very realistic. Carr will be back at the least, and perhaps Wilson will be as well if we feel comfortable with he and Foxworth possibly being the starters next season.

Aye, Ayers would be at ILB. The Ravens jsut seem to be at their best when Ray has a running mate....Ray and Jamie Sharper, Ray and Peter Boulware, Ray and Bart Scott....I also think he's great value at that point, considering I've seen him as high as the early teens.

And as for corner...a FA would be nice, but Foxworth will be coming back from an injury. Perhaps not the greatest need though assuming you do land someone good via FA.

asdf1223
02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I love the thought process for the first hawks pick but hate the actual pick. Bailey is really talented but needs a proper line coach to make him reach his full potential. We hired Todd Washburn who Tampa bay fans routinely hated for not developing their young Dline talent. Would much prefer a guy like Paea or Liuget or even Heyward who are more finished products. Or as Babylon mentioned an Offensive Tackle, or Guard works as well. Any position except LT or S or TE or RB who can start immediately works for the Seahawks.

Love Brandon Burton, nice fit as well.

Abaddon
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Reasonable. Cannon kept dropping and I there just kept being better players available to the teams I considered him for...I could see it.

As for corner, given the Raiders unpredictability, I went with my personal rankings where House was the best available. It's hard to tell what Al will do.

When it comes to corners, you can expect him to take a fast one ahead of a good one.

Menardo75
02-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Major props on the three rounder had to have taken a long time. Great niner mock also really like Von a lot. Stanzi is my favorite QB besides the fourth projected first rounders.

The Linebacker
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Good Jags mock. Granted Cam Jordan doesn't really necessarily match a need, he would do well for the Jaguars. In a division that throws as much as the AFC South, a 3-3-5 isn't all that rare. Alualu, Knighton, Jordan would give the Jags great flexibility. Jordan also fits BAP. Who knows, maybe Jordan gives the Jags a possibility of a 3-4 switch, but I doubt it. S and QB also were good picks.

Diehard
02-15-2011, 11:35 PM
46.) Denver Broncos (from Mia) – OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
- Zane Beadles already looks like a terrible McD pick, and Chris Kuper isn’t anything great at the other guard spot either.

While it is easy, and tempting, to tee off on pretty much everything McDaniels did in Denver, this is a somewhat ignorant assessment. Once Beadles finally got to stay at LG, he played well. His pass protect was decent and he's got as good a push as anyone on the line in the running game. Walton's rookie season was a lot rockier, but then again C is a tougher position.

That being said, I think there is a strong chance of OL early, but RT rather than OG. Ryan Harris and the team seem ready to part ways, which isn't much of a surprise. He's played well enough for a good deal, but has been hurt often enough that it is hard to rely on him.

_YL_
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
- You can never be quite sure what the Raiders are thinking, and as long as Al Davis still….lives?....it will probably be that way. An upgrade at center makes some sense though, and O’Dowd has the talent to outperform this draft slot if he can stay healthy.

I wouldn't touch O'Dowd till the third to much of a risk at this point,I would much rather have M.Cannon and place him at RT or LG.

- A pet prospect of many around this board, the Raiders need some help at corner, especially if Aso cannot be resigned.

I love this pick has everything Al Davis looks for in a CB

thebow305
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Ingram is a nice pick, but I doubt we pass on on Christian Ponder AND Andy Dalton in the 3rd for a Tight End.

BeerBaron
02-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I love the thought process for the first hawks pick but hate the actual pick. Bailey is really talented but needs a proper line coach to make him reach his full potential. We hired Todd Washburn who Tampa bay fans routinely hated for not developing their young Dline talent. Would much prefer a guy like Paea or Liuget or even Heyward who are more finished products. Or as Babylon mentioned an Offensive Tackle, or Guard works as well. Any position except LT or S or TE or RB who can start immediately works for the Seahawks.

Love Brandon Burton, nice fit as well.

Reasonable. But like I said, Bailey is a guy people are either really hot on or really cold on. I do think he goes around the end of the first, and it wouldn't surprise me to be to Seattle.

Major props on the three rounder had to have taken a long time. Great niner mock also really like Von a lot. Stanzi is my favorite QB besides the fourth projected first rounders.

Glad to see you liked Stanzi. I could see Harbaugh liking Locker for his intangibles, but his pocket awareness and accuracy leave a lot to be desired, and those are two things Harbaugh seems to like having most in his QBs. Stanzi has his flaws, but I could see him basically being the field general Harbaugh needs to run his offense through.

Good Jags mock. Granted Cam Jordan doesn't really necessarily match a need, he would do well for the Jaguars. In a division that throws as much as the AFC South, a 3-3-5 isn't all that rare. Alualu, Knighton, Jordan would give the Jags great flexibility. Jordan also fits BAP. Who knows, maybe Jordan gives the Jags a possibility of a 3-4 switch, but I doubt it. S and QB also were good picks.

I think you over thought it...I think Cam Jordan could make for a fine 4-3 DE. There are others I've seen share that opinion as well. He wouldn't be the pure speed edge rusher a lot of people think of in the position, but his wellroundedness would serve him well. And true, it would open up other options like 3-3-5 schemes and the potential to switch to a 3-4 later...but he was just good value and the style of player I think the Jags would like.

While it is easy, and tempting, to tee off on pretty much everything McDaniels did in Denver, this is a somewhat ignorant assessment. Once Beadles finally got to stay at LG, he played well. His pass protect was decent and he's got as good a push as anyone on the line in the running game. Walton's rookie season was a lot rockier, but then again C is a tougher position.

That being said, I think there is a strong chance of OL early, but RT rather than OG. Ryan Harris and the team seem ready to part ways, which isn't much of a surprise. He's played well enough for a good deal, but has been hurt often enough that it is hard to rely on him.

I'll give you that I didn't see them much the final few weeks, but Beadles seemed like a bad reach at the time and wasn't pretty in what I did see of him. (Very little of what I saw in the Broncos would quality as "pretty" though I'm sorry to say...)

I wouldn't touch O'Dowd till the third to much of a risk at this point,I would much rather have M.Cannon and place him at RT or LG.

I love this pick has everything Al Davis looks for in a CB

Everything except for speed I've been told, lol

BeerBaron
02-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Ingram is a nice pick, but I doubt we pass on on Christian Ponder AND Andy Dalton in the 3rd for a Tight End.

I'd rather stick with Henne than take another 2nd/3rd round type QB at this point. Also, while I do like Dalton, I think he's been overrated of late, particularly around these parts.

JRTPlaya21
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Ahhhh man!! If we get A.J. Green I will go bonkers with joy!!

jCut
02-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Nice job overall with the mock. I think it's obvious to say that Denver's pick will be either Fairley, Peterson or Bowers. I think Peterson is the safer pick, and I think that's why he is a popular pick. But, I would be severely disappointed if we used such a high draft choice to replace Champ Bailey, instead of addressing the issue that has plagued Denver for quite some time. We need a better defensive line. If Fairley is gone, I would hope Denver goes Bowers.

I would agree with Diehard in saying that Denver is more likely to seek a tackle as opposed to a guard. After investing a second round pick in Beadles, they are inclined to give him another chance after he improved late in the season. Kuper is average, but he is a team leader and hard worker. They will expect him to be a starter with room for improvement. Ryan Harris may not be back, as his demands are said to be high. Somebody with versatility would be ideal, somebody who may be athletic enough to be a LT, but can play RT and maybe some guard. If Tim Tebow starts, his blind-side will be on the right, so this may turn out to be another major need.

If Sturdivant tests well, I think he's a good pick. We need athletic, sideline-to-sideline players at linebacker.

phlysac
02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
7.) San Francisco 49ers – OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
45.) San Francisco 49ers – QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
76.) San Francisco 49ers – CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville

My only complaint is that (at this point) Stanzi seems like a steep reach at #45.

BeerBaron
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Ahhhh man!! If we get A.J. Green I will go bonkers with joy!!

Had to stop his fall somewhere, and like I said, even though you need a QB, the talent was just too much to pass on.

Nice job overall with the mock. I think it's obvious to say that Denver's pick will be either Fairley, Peterson or Bowers. I think Peterson is the safer pick, and I think that's why he is a popular pick. But, I would be severely disappointed if we used such a high draft choice to replace Champ Bailey, instead of addressing the issue that has plagued Denver for quite some time. We need a better defensive line. If Fairley is gone, I would hope Denver goes Bowers.

I would agree with Diehard in saying that Denver is more likely to seek a tackle as opposed to a guard. After investing a second round pick in Beadles, they are inclined to give him another chance after he improved late in the season. Kuper is average, but he is a team leader and hard worker. They will expect him to be a starter with room for improvement. Ryan Harris may not be back, as his demands are said to be high. Somebody with versatility would be ideal, somebody who may be athletic enough to be a LT, but can play RT and maybe some guard. If Tim Tebow starts, his blind-side will be on the right, so this may turn out to be another major need.

If Sturdivant tests well, I think he's a good pick. We need athletic, sideline-to-sideline players at linebacker.

I look at it like this, if you lose Bailey, then you need a top corner...so why not thee top corner? It sounds like they're at a bit of an impasse contractually and Champ may seek to play for a contender like Baltimore. Plus, the d-line depth in this draft is phenomenal. You still got Paea in the 2nd, and if he doesn't suit you, there were others still available as well. It's a good year to need d-line help.

My only complaint is that (at this point) Stanzi seems like a steep reach at #45.

I don't disagree, but if a QB is passed on in round 1, I think you'll need to address it sooner rather than later, even if it means reaching a bit. I think Stanzi is a good fit for what Harbaugh likes to do...much moreso than say, Mallett, Locker or Gabbert. Plug him in behind that extremely talented o-line and let him distribute the ball to the weapons on offense.

If you wait until the 3rd to try and get him, someone else may snatch him up and then you'll be left going down the list of backup options, and I'd much rather reach a bit for a guy I like than be stuck choosing between plans B, C, D etc. and be stuck with that guy.

coordinator0
02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least think about still going Locker....had to stop Green's fall though. Skins are a good fit.

Aye, Ayers would be at ILB. The Ravens jsut seem to be at their best when Ray has a running mate....Ray and Jamie Sharper, Ray and Peter Boulware, Ray and Bart Scott....I also think he's great value at that point, considering I've seen him as high as the early teens.

And as for corner...a FA would be nice, but Foxworth will be coming back from an injury. Perhaps not the greatest need though assuming you do land someone good via FA.

The value on Ayers is definitely there, and our defense does seem to work best when Lewis has a capable partner on the inside (Boulware played OLB FYI) but you also have to consider that we had capable pass-rushers during those times as well. I really think that's where this defense has to upgrade the most, and a #1 CB would be really nice too.

BeerBaron
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
The value on Ayers is definitely there, and our defense does seem to work best when Lewis has a capable partner on the inside (Boulware played OLB FYI) but you also have to consider that we had capable pass-rushers during those times as well. I really think that's where this defense has to upgrade the most, and a #1 CB would be really nice too.

Go after Nnamdi. It would be beastly. Plus, any corner you could get at the very end of the first like that probably wouldn't be an immediate quality starter..it's a position that usually takes a little while to get acclimated to.

Also...is Suggs suddenly no longer a capable pass rusher? Last I checked he was still doing pretty well.

coordinator0
02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Go after Nnamdi. It would be beastly. Plus, any corner you could get at the very end of the first like that probably wouldn't be an immediate quality starter..it's a position that usually takes a little while to get acclimated to.

Also...is Suggs suddenly no longer a capable pass rusher? Last I checked he was still doing pretty well.

Suggs is, but we have nobody else on the roster that's even close to being called a threat off the edge. Hence the "ers" on the bolder part ;). When Boulware and Adalius Thomas were opposite of Suggs that's when this defense was most effective, ever since we've struggled to get any sort of consistent pressure on opposing QBs. We hoped that Kindle would solve that problem but we all know that he's a huge question mark.

I agree that getting a #1 CB at the end of the first is asking a lot. I'm not sure if the team goes after a big name free agent corner, I guess it all depends on what kind of money we want to spend on our own free agents. Smith or Harris would be the only guys we could get that could come in and start I for us I think.

Unbiased
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Cameron Jordan and Ponder are two great picks. I don't like McDaniel in the 2nd.

GoRavens
02-16-2011, 10:16 PM
piss poor, damn piss poor

BeerBaron
02-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Cameron Jordan and Ponder are two great picks. I don't like McDaniel in the 2nd.

Two out of three ain't bad...and I think safety is a need, you just didn't like the guy. I'll call it a win.

piss poor, damn piss poor

This folks is an example of useless feedback.

jCut
02-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I look at it like this, if you lose Bailey, then you need a top corner...so why not thee top corner? It sounds like they're at a bit of an impasse contractually and Champ may seek to play for a contender like Baltimore. Plus, the d-line depth in this draft is phenomenal. You still got Paea in the 2nd, and if he doesn't suit you, there were others still available as well. It's a good year to need d-line help.

All good points, but it would be historic if Denver were to draft Peterson. Never has a cornerback gone second in the draft. There's a reason for that. Good corners can be found in the mid-rounds in each draft. Denver has tried drafting numerous defensive lineman in the second and third rounds and they've consistently missed the mark. Dominant defensive lineman are hard to come by and I think both Fairley and Bowers qualify. It comes down to preference, but I'd take a great lineman over a shutdown corner every day of the week.

Unbiased
02-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Two out of three ain't bad...and I think safety is a need, you just didn't like the guy. I'll call it a win.

Safety is indeed a need.

diabsoule
02-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Malcom Kelly is a receiver for the Redskins. Malcom Jenkins is a safety for the Saints. Just figured I'd point out that correction.

Decent mock for the Saints. I don't hate the J.J. Watt pick but I'm not a fan of Greg Jones in the 2nd. He just doesn't seem like a saints linebacker and Williams' prefers versatile linebackers. I think Jones is pretty limited in being a Mike in a 4-3. Kelvin Sheppard offers versatility and can play either OLB positions. I like Phil Taylor in 3rd but I don't think we go safety this year. The organization is still pretty high on Roman Harper and plan to re-sign him. Grabbing a RB or OLB with the 2nd pick of round 3 would be more along the lines.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 12:32 AM
All good points, but it would be historic if Denver were to draft Peterson. Never has a cornerback gone second in the draft. There's a reason for that. Good corners can be found in the mid-rounds in each draft. Denver has tried drafting numerous defensive lineman in the second and third rounds and they've consistently missed the mark. Dominant defensive lineman are hard to come by and I think both Fairley and Bowers qualify. It comes down to preference, but I'd take a great lineman over a shutdown corner every day of the week.

If Fairley was there, he would absolutely be the pick. No disagreement from me. However, with Dumervil and Ayers, I think DE can take a slight backseat considering your comparative lack of talent at CB.

Safety is indeed a need.

Agreed then.

Malcom Kelly is a receiver for the Redskins. Malcom Jenkins is a safety for the Saints. Just figured I'd point out that correction.

Decent mock for the Saints. I don't hate the J.J. Watt pick but I'm not a fan of Greg Jones in the 2nd. He just doesn't seem like a saints linebacker and Williams' prefers versatile linebackers. I think Jones is pretty limited in being a Mike in a 4-3. Kelvin Sheppard offers versatility and can play either OLB positions. I like Phil Taylor in 3rd but I don't think we go safety this year. The organization is still pretty high on Roman Harper and plan to re-sign him. Grabbing a RB or OLB with the 2nd pick of round 3 would be more along the lines.

And you'll draft another corner, right? ;)

Also, on Jones, his inability to shed blockers scares me a bit at MIKE. I think letting him slip outside would be possible. As long as you draft someone at LB though, it should improve matters.

jCut
02-17-2011, 01:49 AM
If Fairley was there, he would absolutely be the pick. No disagreement from me. However, with Dumervil and Ayers, I think DE can take a slight backseat considering your comparative lack of talent at CB.

Ayers has been disappointing at best and Dumervil is coming back from a major injury. A solid rotation of pass-rushers would do the Broncos' defense wonders. Cornerback is definitely a need, but I think Bowers holds more value as an every-down DE. Peterson is a solid prospect, no doubt. Agree to disagree, I guess. :)

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Ayers has been disappointing at best and Dumervil is coming back from a major injury. A solid rotation of pass-rushers would do the Broncos' defense wonders. Cornerback is definitely a need, but I think Bowers holds more value as an every-down DE. Peterson is a solid prospect, no doubt. Agree to disagree, I guess. :)

Just my opinion I guess...even a Dumervil coming back from injury and a disappointing Ayers are more than you have at corner.

txparkes49x
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Great first round pick. Dareus is the other pick im starting to like if he is available.

second round - stanzi or mallett is great

third round - burney imo but position need is great

HIt all the needs and i like it. good job.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Great first round pick. Dareus is the other pick im starting to like if he is available.

second round - stanzi or mallett is great

third round - burney imo but position need is great

HIt all the needs and i like it. good job.

Thanks. I'm not big on Mallett...yes he has fantastic tools but the guy is a borderline head case with a drug use past and a stone statue in the pocket and one of his biggest passing flaws is accuracy. All things that I think would turn off Harbaugh. So that is why I went Stanzi.

Glad you generally liked everything else.

steelersfan2011
02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Although the Steelers are in need of a young tackle I think based on how the Steelers were exposed this year against the pass especially in the Super Bowl, that corner is their number 1 concern and like years past after disapointing seasons the Steelers draft where they have been vurnerable. Ex. 2 years ago after a 6 game losing streak because of bad lineman play, they draft pouncey, when parker went down the steelers in the offseason drafted Mendenhall for the future and signed Moore as a third down back. The Steelers want to be dominant on D more than O and realized last season that Corner is something that they can't get in the later rounds and expect to win with.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Although the Steelers are in need of a young tackle I think based on how the Steelers were exposed this year against the pass especially in the Super Bowl, that corner is their number 1 concern and like years past after disapointing seasons the Steelers draft where they have been vurnerable. Ex. 2 years ago after a 6 game losing streak because of bad lineman play, they draft pouncey, when parker went down the steelers in the offseason drafted Mendenhall for the future and signed Moore as a third down back. The Steelers want to be dominant on D more than O and realized last season that Corner is something that they can't get in the later rounds and expect to win with.

That's understandable and corner is a direction I took a look at, but there simply wasn't one available at the end of the first with value. Brandon Burton was really the only one, and he would have been a reach at the end of the first imo.

So, I just went down the needs list until the value matched up, and that happened to be at OT.

Dam8610
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone outside of Colts fans knew that the OL was that big of a need. Bravo on actually addressing the Colts actual needs. I'd prefer Sherrod to Castonzo, but other than that, best mock I've seen for the Colts to date.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone outside of Colts fans knew that the OL was that big of a need. Bravo on actually addressing the Colts actual needs. I'd prefer Sherrod to Castonzo, but other than that, best mock I've seen for the Colts to date.

aka a mock Bill Polian would laugh at before drafting some skill position players? I would have liked to work in a better run defending DT or LB but it just didn't come up...plus that's another position that it seems like Bill Polian is hell bent on avoiding. Maybe when Chris gets more power, he'll be able to do more sensible things.

Dam8610
02-17-2011, 04:54 PM
aka a mock Bill Polian would laugh at before drafting some skill position players? I would have liked to work in a better run defending DT or LB but it just didn't come up...plus that's another position that it seems like Bill Polian is hell bent on avoiding. Maybe when Chris gets more power, he'll be able to do more sensible things.

Meh, Polian has drafted OL when he's desperately needed it. He knows his OL is horrible, he's been talking about it in some way or another for 2 years now. He drafted Will Wolford for the Bills, and he was a quality OL for some time, including, ironically enough, being a big part of the Colts improbable run in 95. Polian walked in with Tarik Glenn, so he didn't need a LT for nearly a decade of his tenure in Indy, then he immediately invested a first round pick in the position drafting Ugoh. Counting Ugoh as part of the 2008 draft, his 2008 draft goes:

1) OT Tony Ugoh
2) C Mike Pollak
3) LB Philip Wheeler (damn Lions stealing Avril)
4) TE Jacob Tamme
5) DE Marcus Howard
6a) C Steve Justice
6b) RB Mike Hart
6c) WR Pierre Garcon
7) C Jamey Richard

Which looks fairly similar to your 3 round mock here. The problem with that is ALL the OL, with the exception of perhaps Richard, in this class, busted. That's why it's such a big need now, and clearly, this shows Polian is willing to invest the resources to improve the position, the issue is will the invested resources actually lead to improvement. Hopefully, the answer will be yes this time.

BeerBaron
02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Plus, drafting 3 centers in today's league probably didn't help. Defensive lineman, particularly DTs are bigger, stronger and yet still faster than ever before. I think we're going to be more likely to see tackles moved inside to G rather than centers kicked outward anymore.