PDA

View Full Version : Question: Without CBA, Do We See #1 Pick Signed Early?

akvikefan89
02-16-2011, 02:27 AM
If this is a dumb question with an easy answer, feel free to delete it, but I just had this thought today:

We all know that with the CBA pissing match negotiations, there are a lot of NFL activities hanging in limbo. I believe that all offseason team activities are included, which would mean rookie camps and minicamps.

So... if there is no new CBA, and it looks like it will be a long battle into the summer, will we be in the dark as to who the #1 pick will be? What would be the advantage of the Panthers signing their #1 choice early if it looks like there won't be rookie camps, and possibly even minicamps? They could negotiate into the early summer months without a problem.

Just a thought I had, it would really add an element of unknown in the 2011 draft...

Wavy77
02-16-2011, 06:59 AM
No players, drafted or undrafted can be signed until a new CBA has been reached. That includes no rookie minicamps or basically any player activity.

The one thing I've been wondering about is how this will come into play as far having contact with players they drafted during the draft and right afterwards (press conferences, holding up the jersey, putting on a team cap etc)

Scott Wright
02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Not only is the #1 pick (and others) going to be ineligible to be signed until a new CBA is reached, but owners wouldn't do it if they could. They don't want to pay a guy $60 million guaranteed when the new CBA is only going to call for about 25% of that. However, I have heard that the two sides are trying to reach a compromise in which teams would be able to acquire the rights of undrafted free agents after the draft. That they UDFA's won't be in limbo.

Iamcanadian
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Not only is the #1 pick (and others) going to be ineligible to be signed until a new CBA is reached, but owners wouldn't do it if they could. They don't want to pay a guy $60 million guaranteed when the new CBA is only going to call for about 25% of that. However, I have heard that the two sides are trying to reach a compromise in which teams would be able to acquire the rights of undrafted free agents after the draft. That they UDFA's won't be in limbo.

Obviously the owners won't sign a pick until a rookie salary cap has been decided on even if they could and I seriously doubt UDFA's, who could be used as scabs, will get the approval of the player's union to sign.
Personally, I doubt a rookie salary cap will be included in the new CBA, the player's union will only accept it if rookies can only be signed for 3 or 4 years. The owners love 6 year contracts where they get the vast majority of picks at a very cheap price for quite a long time. I cannot see the owners moving off the 6 year contract which favours them considerably so we may only get a really watered down rookie salary cap at best if any.