PDA

View Full Version : Cecil Shorts III, WR, Mount Union

gpngc
02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Kiper just pimped him on Sportscenter (some of us have been talking him up for weeks as well).

Athletically gifted. Fast. Decent size. Pure playmaker. Pure multi-purpose football player. Former QB. Read the interview below...

Put up INSANE #s...

...in DIII. (Mount Union = Pierre Garcon's alma mater)

Highlights on youtube...

Justis Mosqueda: How come I didn't see you on Saturday at the East-West Shrine Game?

Cecil Shorts III: I tweaked my hammy earlier in the week at practice and I decided to sit out and get healthy for the combine.

JM: So you are going to the combine this year?

CS3: Yes, yes I got invited to the combine so I'm going.

JM: How was the whole experience at the East-West Shrine Game?

CS3: It was cool you know, being a small school guy and not really being able to go against Division I, the best talent in the nation you want to say. You know I'm not a guy you get to see on TV but I think I played right with them, showed myself I can play at that level and it was lots of fun.

Cecil Shorts highlights through his junior year.
JM: It must have been good exposure since you played Division III.

CS3: Oh yeah defiantly ,there were scouts and their guys everywhere.

JM: Was there any teams that really showed that they were interested in you?

CS3:I met with about 20-25 scouts and had meetings with about 4 or 5 staffs and general managers.

JM: Why did you choose to go to Mountain Union to go to school and play football for?

CS3: I wasn't very highly recruited out of high school, I was offered by a couple of Division II schools but they weren't as good as Mountain Union or they didn't offer the major or whatever the case was. I just ended up choosing Mountain Union.

JM: You played high school football for you dad right?

CS3: I was the quarterback. Yes sir.

JM: And from what I understand is that you went to Mountain Union as a quarterback and Pierre Garcon graduated your sophomore year and you just took his spot and had a huge year.

CS3: Yeah I guess you could say that. I had three excellent years after he left and I defiantly learned a lot from Pierre.

JM: Has Pierre called you up and checked up on you this off season?

CS3: Yeah me and him have a good relationship. Yeah he came down to watch the game even though at the East-West Shrine game so that was pretty cool. But I mean he talks to me and gives me advice every now and then and I ask him questions. He's a real humble guy.

JM: You are around his size, weight and speed level right?

CS3: Yeah I would say that. I weighed in at 200 this past weekend at the East-West Shrine Game and just a hair under 6 foot with 5'11 and 7/8ths so I was pretty upset about that.

JM: Well maybe you can grow before the combine.

CS3: (Laughing) Well hopefully. I'm going to grow my hair and see what happens. The thing about Pierre though has always been thick, he is a really thick guy. He is about 210 and he's just always been thick, he's a real powerful guy.

JM: What do you think your biggest strength is as a receiver?

CS3: I really think that it's my work ethic. I mean I could sit here and say I got good hands, I got good routes, I got good athletic ability but with my work ethic I'm always trying to get better, trying to be the best. Just to prove everybody wrong.

JM: What's the biggest thing that you need to work on at the next level?

CS3: I just think everything. You can never get so good that you are perfect at everything. Just running routes, coming back to the ball, being aggressive when the ball is in the air, strength, speed, just the whole nine yards. At that level there is talent coming in every year to come and take your spot. You play the best of the best. I mean corner backs are the best athletes on the field. You just have to have a good game always.

JM: Is there any guys that you look up to in the NFL right now or when you were a kid?

CS3: Michael Vick is my favorite player when I was little you know coming up as a quarterback. I guess Pierre is my favorite player right now but as far as guys that I model my game after I just watch games and see how other players play and takes parts of their game and use those moves in my game. I like watching Pierre Garcon of course and Greg Jennings is a great receiver. I like watching guys like that that are my size and watch what they do and add what they do to my game.

JM: Is there any guy that you can't wait to face in the NFL?

CS3: Well I have to get there first. Just playing the best of the best of everybody, I wouldn't say there is one person I really want to call out because there are a bunch of guys that are great in the NFL. Receiver wise I just can't wait to play with the best of the best and learn from them.

JM: What is the one thing you wanted to show people this off season at the combine, the East-West Shrine Game?

CS3: I really want to have a fast 40, I know where I'm at. People think that I'm going to run a 4.5 which is nonsense to me. I just always try to play a chip on my shoulder and coming from a small school I think I come with a big chip on my shoulder and I just can't wait for my 40 time and it's going to be a lot of fun.

Highly productive. Highly athletic. FAST. Pure football player. Chip on his shoulder.

I wouldn't bet against this kid.

K Train
02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Jerome Simpson 2

with a cooler name

rawdawg
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Not a lot of height, but a very muscular frame. I think he can be a tough slot WR that's not going to be afraid to take a hit in the middle of the field.

GoRavens
02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
my favorite receiver prospect to come along in quite some time.
He's a real smart dude who does everything you could ask for in a Wideout.
I'm interested to see how he runs at the combine. I predict a 4.5 flat.
Round 3 is his ceiling, I'm just hoping he lands in Baltimore.
Hopefully Ozzie gets my telepathic brain signals.
He's almost identical to Jerome Simpson

Big Bird
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Jerome Simpson? Are you people kidding? They aren't anywhere near the same player.

Simpson was a tall, athletic Receiver who was a deep threat and made highlight reel catches.

Shorts is an ideal underneath Receiver with good speed, excellent quickness, good agility, and a solid bulk to take the pounding of an underneath Receiver.

Jerome Simpson and Cecil Shorts III aren't anything alike other then them not playing FBS...

ellsy82
02-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Reminds me of Antonio Brown. That rookie from the Steelers. Not the fastest guy on the field, but a quick-twitch athelete. Explosive. Can burn his man with his explosion off the route. Decent straight-line speed, nearly stellar really, but that's not his best athletic attribute.

This kid will be able to get open at the NFL level. A good guy to put over the middle or on in-outs near the sidelines. That's my take anyway.

rawdawg
02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Jerome Simpson? Are you people kidding? They aren't anywhere near the same player.

Simpson was a tall, athletic Receiver who was a deep threat and made highlight reel catches.

Shorts is an ideal underneath Receiver with good speed, excellent quickness, good agility, and a solid bulk to take the pounding of an underneath Receiver.

Jerome Simpson and Cecil Shorts III aren't anything alike other then them not playing FBS...

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Simpson is a 6'2" lanky WR. Shorts has about 5-10lbs on him despite being a good 2" shorter.

GoRavens
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
lol at people who think a comparision is far off because the prospects aren't identical sizes.
watch highlights of the 2 from college and tell me their not similar in many ways

Ballbright
02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I've got to be honest, I was at the east-west shrine game and practices, and Perry Baker of Fairmont State clearly outshone Shorts in practice every day...

I was high on Shorts going in, based on the speed and versatility that shows up on film, but he really just came across as very average in person.

K Train
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Simpson is a 6'2" lanky WR. Shorts has about 5-10lbs on him despite being a good 2" shorter.

they are both insane athletes and are making a transition from a small college to the NFL because they turned some heads and were world beaters and men among boys in poor competition compared to other players.

pretty similar career path...i would expect shorts to take a few years to do anything, kinda like....oh yeah jerome simpson

Big Bird
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Similar career paths doesn't mean there anything alike.

Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers took similar career paths, both sitting for years. They aren't that alike.

Peyton Manning and Alex Smith took similar career paths, both starting right away. They aren't even close to the same.

It's just a completely incoherent argument. It makes little sense. When comparing a player, you should compare him to somebody he actually plays like.

I watched a ton of Jerome Simpson in college. I was in love with Simpson coming out of school. They aren't even close to the same player. Simpson was a vertical threat; he stretched defenses down-field and made his name doing that and making excellent, body control catches.

Shorts is the build of an underneath Receiver, and did a lot of that (the high percentage of the passes he caught), at Mount Union. Does he have the speed to push the defense down-field? Yes. But, it's not his primary strength.

They aren't the same type of player. Stop defending you're terrible comparison and move on.

batman15
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
How can people knock my friend, who is 6'5" and plays D2 with 29 touchdowns, yet claim this guy is the next GOAT?

Lol strong double standard.

JustDezIT
04-16-2011, 06:48 PM
How can people knock my friend, who is 6'5" and plays D2 with 29 touchdowns, yet claim this guy is the next GOAT?

Lol strong double standard.

maybe cause your "friend" is anorexic? Get outta here.

JustDezIT
04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
IMO, best slot WR in the draft. He'll put up big #'s in the pros.

J-Mike88
04-17-2011, 08:01 AM
IMO, best slot WR in the draft. He'll put up big #'s in the pros.
IMO, he'll be much more than a "slot" receiver in the NFL.
Re-read the scouting reports on the similarily-sized Greg Jennings coming outta WesternCentral Michigan in 2005. A lot of people labeled Jennings as a potential decent slot receiver.

Remember, not only 4.3 track-timed guys can get behind DBs.

JFINK11
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Played against Mount Union for 4 years in division III. Him and Pierre are on 2 different levels of athleticism. Cecil Shorts III is clearly a more refined route runner but Garcon was electricfying. Shorts III was the best athlete on the field and combined with great route running lit up Div. III but Garcon was only drafted in the 6th round and was top 5 in every category for his position at the combine. I'm sorry Mel Kiper and the rest of you are fooled by the tape but the man is not even close to the fourth best wr in this class. I am friends with the kids that had to cover him, I am aware of his stats but the kids that were asked to cover him wouldnt even sniff the starting lineup in Division I. He might make a pretty good practice squad guy but anything higher than the 6th round would be laughable.

GoRavens
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I am friends with the kids that had to cover him, I am aware of his stats but the kids that were asked to cover him wouldnt even sniff the starting lineup in Division I.
-It's highly unlikely you know every player for every team that Mount Union played against. Awesome, you know some guys who played against him in one game, and they got destroyed. Cecil was consistent in every single game.
- He averaged 5 catches 85 yards and close to 2 touchdowns every game boy.
He was both punt and kick returner and got himself 3 touchdowns, that's right, over 20 touchdowns last season.
- 4.50 40, 21 reps, strong as hell, great shuttle and cone times, good hands, good after the catch, he's just dope as hell.
- Id be stoked if he fell to the Ravens in the 5th.

Smash28Dash34
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
He is a solid reciever, but I don't think he will go in the first 3 rounds. I think as long as nobody jumps on him too early, his production will match his value.

JFINK11
04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
"-It's highly unlikely you know every player for every team that Mount Union played against. Awesome, you know some guys who played against him in one game, and they got destroyed. Cecil was consistent in every single game. He averaged 5 catches 85 yards and close to 2 touchdowns every game boy.
He was both punt and kick returner and got himself 3 touchdowns, that's right, over 20 touchdowns last season."

using stats to describe how good he is, is the same as drawing conclusions about Tim Tebow versus a division i-aa team....mount union's entire roster is far and away better than 95% of the teams he faces"

"-4.50 40, 21 reps, strong as hell, great shuttle and cone times, good hands, good after the catch, he's just dope as hell.
- Id be stoked if he fell to the Ravens in the 5th."

He was above average in the athleticism department and being a Steelers fan I would be glad if you drafted him. Another failed wr for you to miss on.