PDA

View Full Version : Quick 1 round mock done on IRC

toonsterwu
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Had 5 people. Went in order - Fenikz, APS, Bos, Deep, and then myself (thus, I had picks 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30).

I think we all finished and said ... um this is interesting, but we had time to kill and they wanted to post it (well some of them).

The draft and then my comments below. the other guys can add their own comments.

Mock Draft

1. Carolina Panthers – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn.
2. Denver Broncos – CB Patrick Peterson, LSU.
3. Buffalo Bill – OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
4. Cincinnati Bengals – WR AJ Green, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals – QB Cameron Newton, Auburn.
6. Cleveland Browns – DE Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson.
7. San Francisco 49ers – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska.
8. Tennessee Titans - QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri.
9. Dallas Cowboys – DL Marcel Dareus, Alabama.
10. Washington Redskins – DL JJ Watt. Wisconsin.
11. Houston Texans – OLB Robert Quinn, UNC.
12. Minnesota Vikings – QB Jake Locker, Washington.
13. Detroit Lions – OT Nate Solder, Colorado.
14. St. Louis Rams – WR Julio Jones, Alabama.
15. Miami Dolphins – WR Titus Young, Boise State.
16. Jacksonville Jaguars – DL Cameron Jordan, California.
17. New England Patriots – OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue.
18. San Diego Chargers – DL Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple.
19. New York Giants – OT Tyron Smith, USC.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Aldon Smith, Missouri.
21. Kansas City Chiefs – NT Phil Taylor, Baylor.
22. Indianapolis Colts – OT Derrek Sherrod, Mississippi State.
23. Philadelphia Eagles – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin.
24. New Orleans Saints – OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA.
25. Seattle Seahawks – CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado.
26. Baltimore Ravens – CB Brandon Harris, Miami.
27. Atlanta Falcons – DL Adrian Clayborn, Iowa.
28. New England Patriots – OT Anthony Costanzo, Boston College.
29. Chicago Bears – WR Torrey Smith, Maryland.
30. New York Jets – OLB Justin Houston, Georgia.
31. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Danny Watkins, Baylor.
32. Green Bay Packers - RB Mark Ingram, Alabama.

I don't think any of our individual mocks would look like this, so this was fairly interesting. My picks:

5. Arizona - QB Cam Newton.

Von and Prince are off the board. I don't buy Quinn up here just yet (he needs a superb workout and awesome interviews to get in the top 10. 5 is a bit high). I actually like Prince Amukamara, but overall, I'm not sold that he's a top 5 pick. The Cardinals will address QB at some point this offseason. If FA isn't allowed pre-draft, and they are stuck in this situation (with how the top 4 picks fall), I think they would look at Cam and Blaine a long time. I have the two of them fairly close, but I wonder if Cam's better playmaking ability with his legs might entice Whisenhunt.

10. Washington Redskins - DL JJ Watt, Wisconsin.

Yes, they need a WR. Yes, Julio makes some sense. That said, Shanahan's history of drafting a WR early isn't that deep (only Lelie comes to mind). I think they are interested in Locker, but at 10? Since I couldn't trade out, I passed on that for now. The other offensive needs can wait. That left me looking defense, where they badly need impact DL talent. I think Watt is a bit tougher against the run than Jordan, and thus the nod. I could see Watt, Jordan, or Julio here, though.

15. Miami Dolphins - WR Titus Young, Boise State.

The one that makes you scratch you head. I'll admit it, very out of left field. I did ponder this a long time, though. I don't know if I buy them going DL here, at least, not with what was left on the board. I pondered the linebackers, but couldn't bring myself to do it, and couldn't bring myself to go any DB's this high.

I kept thinking about how ownership is demanding a bigger play offense. I just don't know if I see Mark Ingram here. OL? Don't see it. Mallet? Don't see it.

Let me be clear, my preference would've been to deal out. I could also perhaps see them intrigued with a Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin. That said, Young offers explosiveness that they really lack, and would be one way for Ireland to sell the idea that he tried to make them more explosive offensively.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DE Aldon Smith, Missouri.

Really not much needs to be said here. They could use an impact end, and Aldon was hanging around. I honestly didn't think too deep on this one.

25. Seattle Seahawks - CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado.

I don't love this pick. I really don't. I kept pondering WR's, but just wasn't sold on Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin here. Honestly, of all the picks I made, this is the one that troubles me the most. I don't see them going Mallet. I really couldn't see DL here. That said, I did keep thinking back to OL. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

30. New York Jets - OLB Justin Houston, Georgia.

Admittedly, I got lazy at the end and threw it open to the floor. I had been thinking Aaron Williams a bit, with talk that Cromartie is on his way out.

Unbiased
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Cameron Jordan is a great pick, fenikz.

GatorsBullsFan
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
I love the Cameron Jordan pick

prock
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Jake Locker is alright I guess...

fenikz
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
id like to thank all my fans, and of course my fellow draftees for making my awesome picks so awesome

fed36
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I would rather for the skins, if you are focusing on the defensive side, gone with Quinn. Pairing Quinn on the opposite side of Orakpo is a scenario I would like to see.

scar988
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
awful ATL pick. Atlanta actually values character. Claiborn doesn't have any unfortunately. right position though.

Bosanac01
02-17-2011, 11:06 PM
You know Bos could be anyone. Just throwing that out there.

Bosanac01
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
awful ATL pick. Atlanta actually values character. Claiborn doesn't have any unfortunately. right position though.

I tried to get him to pick Mark Ingram or Justin Houston, but it's APS. What do you expect.

He considered that his best pick.

toonsterwu
02-17-2011, 11:07 PM
I would rather for the skins, if you are focusing on the defensive side, gone with Quinn. Pairing Quinn on the opposite side of Orakpo is a scenario I would like to see.

While I'm a Bears fan, I've been partial to the Skins my entire life, having grown up in the area. I watched them enough this year - while they idea of adding an explosive guy opposite Orakpo makes sense, the first thing they need to do is clear room for him (furthermore, Chris Wilson was decent when he had PT). Are you going to put one of them on the strongside and feel like you are getting your money's worth?

It's a possible pick, I don't deny that, but I think they need to go DL before another rush backer. They didn't have an impact player up there this year, and a good 3-4 needs an impact player ... somewhere ... in that 30 front.

A Perfect Score
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I had Denver, SF, Minnesota, NE, Indy, ATL, and GB

Denver - Champ is on his way out and that secondary is shredded. Peterson is an elite talent with the potential to be a lockdown guy.

SF - Same deal as Denver. I almost gave them Quinn but Prince gives them a #1 corner almost immediately. I believe he'll have his growing pains, but should be a stud down the road.

Minnesota - This is the one Im going to get crucified for, but Ill stick by it. That franchise desperately needs a young, franchise QB and its pretty clear it isnt Jackson or Webb. I believe Locker grades out as a Top 20 talent and I think Minnesota has to pull the trigger if he gets past Washington at 10.

NE - Kerrigan is going to be a beast in whatever scheme you put him in. He's big, more athletic then people like to admit and he just doesn't stop. I think NE needs another pass rusher opposite Cunningham and Kerrigan fits the mold.

Indy - Obviously they need something along that offensive line and Sherrod seemed more Indy's style then Carimi or Castonzo.

Atlanta - Abraham can't play forever and Smith loves to rotate the defensive line. Clayborn at 27 is an absolute steal in my opinion.

GB- I know, I know they don't run the ball that much, but honestly? Rumblings suggest Grant may be a cap casualty and Ingram could have gone much earlier then this. BPA at a position where they are thin.

Dam8610
02-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Indy - Obviously they need something along that offensive line and Sherrod seemed more Indy's style then Carimi or Castonzo.

Every mock drafter ever, read this, over and over and over again, until it is drilled into your head. That's pretty much exactly how I'd rank those three, though I'd probably have Solder in between Carimi and Castonzo.

george_allen
02-17-2011, 11:15 PM

Yes, they need a WR. Yes, Julio makes some sense. That said, Shanahan's history of drafting a WR early isn't that deep (only Lelie comes to mind). I think they are interested in Locker, but at 10? Since I couldn't trade out, I passed on that for now. The other offensive needs can wait. That left me looking defense, where they badly need impact DL talent. I think Watt is a bit tougher against the run than Jordan, and thus the nod. I could see Watt, Jordan, or Julio here, though.

toonster, thank you.
anything that helps deliver JJ DYN-O-MITE to the rams is cool with me. and if the redskins didn't take watt, perhaps the rams would, no? i'd be happy with either.

toonsterwu
02-17-2011, 11:19 PM
toonster, thank you.
anything that helps deliver JJ DYN-O-MITE to the rams is cool with me. and if the redskins didn't take watt, perhaps the rams would, no? i'd be happy with either.

I'm huge on JJ Watt. Love him. He's my favorite 30 front DL guy in this draft, ahead o how much I liked Odrick last year (not by that much). I think he's better against the run than given credit for.

As a side note, if Amukamara slips, and Carlos Rogers is let go, I wouldn't rule out Prince here.

gpngc
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Had 5 people. Went in order - Fenikz, APS, Bos, Deep, and then myself (thus, I had picks 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30).

I think we all finished and said ... um this is interesting, but we had time to kill and they wanted to post it (well some of them).

The draft and then my comments below. the other guys can add their own comments.

Mock Draft

1. Carolina Panthers – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn.
2. Denver Broncos – CB Patrick Peterson, LSU.
3. Buffalo Bill – OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
4. Cincinnati Bengals – WR AJ Green, Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals – QB Cameron Newton, Auburn.
6. Cleveland Browns – DE Da’Quan Bowers, Clemson.
7. San Francisco 49ers – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska.
8. Tennessee Titans - QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri.
9. Dallas Cowboys – DL Marcel Dareus, Alabama.
10. Washington Redskins – DL JJ Watt. Wisconsin.
11. Houston Texans – OLB Robert Quinn, UNC.
12. Minnesota Vikings – QB Jake Locker, Washington.
13. Detroit Lions – OT Nate Solder, Colorado.
14. St. Louis Rams – WR Julio Jones, Alabama.
15. Miami Dolphins – WR Titus Young, Boise State.
16. Jacksonville Jaguars – DL Cameron Jordan, California.
17. New England Patriots – OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue.
18. San Diego Chargers – DL Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple.
19. New York Giants – OT Tyron Smith, USC.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Aldon Smith, Missouri.
21. Kansas City Chiefs – NT Phil Taylor, Baylor.
22. Indianapolis Colts – OT Derrek Sherrod, Mississippi State.
23. Philadelphia Eagles – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin.
24. New Orleans Saints – OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA.
25. Seattle Seahawks – CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado.
26. Baltimore Ravens – CB Brandon Harris, Miami.
27. Atlanta Falcons – DL Adrian Clayborn, Iowa.
28. New England Patriots – OT Anthony Costanzo, Boston College.
29. Chicago Bears – WR Torrey Smith, Maryland.
30. New York Jets – OLB Justin Houston, Georgia.
31. Pittsburgh Steelers – OG Danny Watkins, Baylor.
32. Green Bay Packers - RB Mark Ingram, Alabama.

I don't think any of our individual mocks would look like this, so this was fairly interesting. My picks:

5. Arizona - QB Cam Newton.

Von and Prince are off the board. I don't buy Quinn up here just yet (he needs a superb workout and awesome interviews to get in the top 10. 5 is a bit high). I actually like Prince Amukamara, but overall, I'm not sold that he's a top 5 pick. The Cardinals will address QB at some point this offseason. If FA isn't allowed pre-draft, and they are stuck in this situation (with how the top 4 picks fall), I think they would look at Cam and Blaine a long time. I have the two of them fairly close, but I wonder if Cam's better playmaking ability with his legs might entice Whisenhunt.

15. Miami Dolphins - WR Titus Young, Boise State.

The one that makes you scratch you head. I'll admit it, very out of left field. I did ponder this a long time, though. I don't know if I buy them going DL here, at least, not with what was left on the board. I pondered the linebackers, but couldn't bring myself to do it, and couldn't bring myself to go any DB's this high.

I kept thinking about how ownership is demanding a bigger play offense. I just don't know if I see Mark Ingram here. OL? Don't see it. Mallet? Don't see it.

Let me be clear, my preference would've been to deal out. I could also perhaps see them intrigued with a Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin. That said, Young offers explosiveness that they really lack, and would be one way for Ireland to sell the idea that he tried to make them more explosive offensively.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DE Aldon Smith, Missouri.

Really not much needs to be said here. They could use an impact end, and Aldon was hanging around. I honestly didn't think too deep on this one.

25. Seattle Seahawks - CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado.

I don't love this pick. I really don't. I kept pondering WR's, but just wasn't sold on Torrey Smith or Jon Baldwin here. Honestly, of all the picks I made, this is the one that troubles me the most. I don't see them going Mallet. I really couldn't see DL here. That said, I did keep thinking back to OL. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

30. New York Jets - OLB Justin Houston, Georgia.

Admittedly, I got lazy at the end and threw it open to the floor. I had been thinking Aaron Williams a bit, with talk that Cromartie is on his way out.

This is the correct pick. They don't really need another young WR and the only way they'll need a RT is if they lose Locklear AND Willis to FA.

toonsterwu
02-17-2011, 11:23 PM
This is the correct pick. They don't really need another young WR and the only way they'll need a RT is if they lose Locklear AND Willis to FA.

Actually ... I was thinking interior OL as much as OT. I know the general feeling is that the interior OL guys should be more early 2nd rounders, but the readiness of those guys could push 1 or two to the late first. And I could see them decide to add some interior OL depth if they feel the guy is ready.

That said, tough for me to pull the trigger on that one.

scar988
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I had Denver, SF, Minnesota, NE, Indy, ATL, and GB

Denver - Champ is on his way out and that secondary is shredded. Peterson is an elite talent with the potential to be a lockdown guy.

SF - Same deal as Denver. I almost gave them Quinn but Prince gives them a #1 corner almost immediately. I believe he'll have his growing pains, but should be a stud down the road.

Minnesota - This is the one Im going to get crucified for, but Ill stick by it. That franchise desperately needs a young, franchise QB and its pretty clear it isnt Jackson or Webb. I believe Locker grades out as a Top 20 talent and I think Minnesota has to pull the trigger if he gets past Washington at 10.

NE - Kerrigan is going to be a beast in whatever scheme you put him in. He's big, more athletic then people like to admit and he just doesn't stop. I think NE needs another pass rusher opposite Cunningham and Kerrigan fits the mold.

Atlanta - Abraham can't play forever and Smith loves to rotate the defensive line. Clayborn at 27 is an absolute steal in my opinion.

GB- I know, I know they don't run the ball that much, but honestly? Rumblings suggest Grant may be a cap casualty and Ingram could have gone much earlier then this. BPA at a position where they are thin.
except that Atlanta values character. something you completely leave out.

A Perfect Score
02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
except that Atlanta values character. something you completely leave out.

Right, they're going to completely avoid a guy who confronted a cab driver which got him arrested. Clayborn's character will check out fine and at 27 he's an absolute steal. The guy has received nothing but praise from everyone at Iowa and had one of the most dominant seasons Ive seen from a prospect in years. Relax kid, it's a fine pick.

scottyboy
02-17-2011, 11:36 PM
i personally prefer Sherrod and even Carimi over Smith, but i'd be ok with it.

Matthew Jones
02-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice job with New England! Kerrigan/Aldon would be a toss up if both were available. Castonzo is a good fit here too. I would be hoping for Heyward at #33...that draft would be mind-blowing.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Right, they're going to completely avoid a guy who confronted a cab driver which got him arrested. Clayborn's character will check out fine and at 27 he's an absolute steal. The guy has received nothing but praise from everyone at Iowa and had one of the most dominant seasons Ive seen from a prospect in years. Relax kid, it's a fine pick.

1) DONT CALL ME KID. I'm probably older than you.
2) Any arrest will get you eliminated from Atlanta's board.
Combined arrests pre-draft from Atlanta picks under Dimitroff: 0
Arrests Adrian Clayborn has: 1
We won't take him.

And again, don't call me kid. It's probably the most disrespectful thing you can do. Especially to someone who has been here MUCH longer than you, and I guarantee you, knows quite a bit more about the Atlanta Falcons than you ever will.

Atlanta under Dimitroff doesn't take people who get arrested. PERIOD. it's that simple.

But like I said, right position, wrong player. Justin Houston makes a TON more sense there.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Personally, I don't find it to be an insulting term. And much longer isn't really applicable champ. Less disrespectful for you? And quite frankly, I've seen some of your mocks, so I'll take everything you say about the Falcons and just about everything else with a sedan sized grain of salt. Obviously this mock isn't bulletproof, but I find it hard to believe the Falcons would pass on Clayborn, a legitimate first round talent at a dire position of need, because he had a spat with a cab driver one night.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Personally, I don't find it to be an insulting term. And much longer isn't really applicable champ. Less disrespectful for you? And quite frankly, I've seen some of your mocks, so I'll take everything you say about the Falcons and just about everything else with a sedan sized grain of salt. Obviously this mock isn't bulletproof, but I find it hard to believe the Falcons would pass on Clayborn, a legitimate first round talent at a dire position of need, because he had a spat with a cab driver one night.

Then believe it when it happens in April. Just like we have been saying every year since Dimitroff got here. We don't take players who get arrested. You understand, woman? again, don't call me kid. I've forgotten more about the draft than you will ever know.

Some of my mocks? I don't claim to know everything about every team. But when it comes to the Falcons, I'm pretty spot on when it comes to the kind of player as well as the positional need. Hate to break it to you, but you don't know crap about Atlanta if you think they will bring in ANY player with an ARREST on their record. Clayborn has a CONVICTION. Sorry, but he's not going to be a Falcon.

I think Scott and I both believe it's much easier—much easier—to build a team when you're throwing character issues out the window," says Dimitroff, who rose from volunteer scout with the Browns to New England's director of college scouting before becoming the Falcons' G.M. in January 2008. "There are some very, very talented players coming into this league through the draft, through free agency, and the easy thing to do is to bring in the most talented players whether they fit or don't fit. You can win that way, no question about it.
"I think we learned this in New England—we just have a hypersensitivity to distractions," Dimitroff adds. "Character issues can be a distraction. Selfishness can be a distraction. There are a thousand of them. And they can tear down what you're trying to do. Talent is essential. But it really comes down to what talent means."

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Then believe it when it happens in April. Just like we have been saying every year since Dimitroff got here. We don't take players who get arrested. You understand, woman?

Some of my mocks? I don't claim to know everything about every team. But when it comes to the Falcons, I'm pretty spot on when it comes to the kind of player as well as the positional need. Hate to break it to you, but you don't know crap about Atlanta if you think they will bring in ANY player with an ARREST on their record. Clayborn has a CONVICTION. Sorry, but he's not going to be a Falcon.

Well I fully expect Clayborn to be off the board by the time the Falcons pick in April, kid. But in this scenario, he wasn't and I pulled the trigger. I like the pick and Ill stick by it. I'd actually love to hear from some other Falcons fans on the matter though.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:19 AM
APS, did you not read bosanac's post?

way to prove you don't know crap about atlanta.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 12:22 AM
APS, did you not read bosanac's post?

way to prove you don't know crap about atlanta.

Sorry kid. Although yeah, I don't really respect your opinion and Bos was alright with the pick in IRC when it was happening. Good try though.

bored of education
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Dmitroff should start drafting people that won't get injured. lolz. I'm with Scar for a portion of that pick, but you think just a lil confrontation like that removes him completely from the board? waht if they sit down with AC and learn more from him about it, reach out to local authorities etc like a real front office does before removing a player from the board?

bored of education
02-18-2011, 12:25 AM
It is easy to say hey, this guy had a confrontation with someone that lead to some police involvement and wipe him off completely. But if ATL does there job, which they do very well, and find out that AC was wronged in that case then I dont think it wipes AC from their big board.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Dmitroff should start drafting people that won't get injured. lolz. I'm with Scar for a portion of that pick, but you think just a lil confrontation like that removes him completely from the board? waht if they sit down with AC and learn more from him about it, reach out to local authorities etc like a real front office does before removing a player from the board?
Dimitroff has never drafted a player with an arrest. Until he does, I'm under the impression he won't.

bored of education
02-18-2011, 12:27 AM
I dont know the details to the story, but if it is as bad as Scar makes it out to be then I think A. they would remove him from the big board. Ill do some research about the story and the legalities behind the pleading guilty.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:28 AM
It is easy to say hey, this guy had a confrontation with someone that lead to some police involvement and wipe him off completely. But if ATL does there job, which they do very well, and find out that AC was wronged in that case then I dont think it wipes AC from their big board.

how about the poor scheme fit? I think that would definitely wipe him from the board.

Atlanta drafts SCHEME SPECIFIC, GOOD CHARACTER players at POSITIONS OF NEED.

And that's pulling from quotes from Dimitroff and Smith.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Sorry kid. Although yeah, I don't really respect your opinion and Bos was alright with the pick in IRC when it was happening. Good try though.

How old are you?

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 12:30 AM
He's a stereotypical LE built to play in a 4-3 system. What is possibly bad about the scheme fit? As long as you're running a 4-3, Clayborn can play in it. I'll buy you arguing for character, but it's idiotic to suggest Clayborn doesn't fit the scheme.

scar988
02-18-2011, 12:32 AM
He's a stereotypical LE built to play in a 4-3 system. What is possibly bad about the scheme fit? As long as you're running a 4-3, Clayborn can play in it. I'll buy you arguing for character, but it's idiotic to suggest Clayborn doesn't fit the scheme.

Atlanta prefers smaller, quicker ends with multiple pass rushing moves... Clayborn is a pure bull rusher. We have that bust in Jamaal Anderson. Atlanta's DE's:
Chauncey 6-2 262
Abraham 6-4 263
Biermann 6-3 260
Sidbury 6-3 265

Wanna try again?

And How old are you?

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Atlanta prefers smaller, quicker ends with multiple pass rushing moves... Clayborn is a pure bull rusher. We have that bust in Jamaal Anderson. Atlanta's DE's:
Chauncey 6-2 262
Abraham 6-4 263
Biermann 6-3 260
Sidbury 6-3 265

Wanna try again?

And How old are you?

Have you ever watched Clayborn? Honestly? Because he's far from a pure bull rusher. He's got a full repertoire of pass rush moves and he's got an excellent first step for a man his size. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen him jack up an OT with a bull rush unless he's holding the POA against the run. So no, I don't want to try again I was right the first time asshole.

And I'm old enough to enjoy seeing how much you hate being called kid.

Razor
02-18-2011, 03:17 AM
how about the poor scheme fit? I think that would definitely wipe him from the board.

Atlanta drafts SCHEME SPECIFIC, GOOD CHARACTER players at POSITIONS OF NEED.

And that's pulling from quotes from Dimitroff and Smith.

I think Scott and I both believe it's much easier—much easier—to build a team when you're throwing character issues out the window," says Dimitroff, who rose from volunteer scout with the Browns to New England's director of college scouting before becoming the Falcons' G.M. in January 2008. "There are some very, very talented players coming into this league through the draft, through free agency, and the easy thing to do is to bring in the most talented players whether they fit or don't fit. You can win that way, no question about it.
"I think we learned this in New England—we just have a hypersensitivity to distractions," Dimitroff adds. "Character issues can be a distraction. Selfishness can be a distraction. There are a thousand of them. And they can tear down what you're trying to do. Talent is essential. But it really comes down to what talent means."

For a guy who claims to know a lot about the Falcons you sure say a lot of ****. The Dimitroff quote is something you posted on the first page and you're already contradicting it here on the second page. Clayborn is supremely talented, but he had a pretty meh year. You should be happy you got him here, this is a steal and probably won't happen. Stop bitching every time you don't get *your* player. Maybe if you spent as much time actually watching the Falcons play as you do claiming you know everything about the Falcons and that everybody else don't know **** about them you'd probably get better results.

As for the Patriots draft, I like it. Costanzo is a very realistic pick, local kid and BB likes offensive linemen from BC. Kerrigan is perfect, but Aldon Smith does have a lot of value there as well and could be a possibility if he's there.

Brothgar
02-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Not jumping on the Tyron Smith bandwagon yet?

scar988
02-18-2011, 07:14 AM
For a guy who claims to know a lot about the Falcons you sure say a lot of ****. The Dimitroff quote is something you posted on the first page and you're already contradicting it here on the second page. Clayborn is supremely talented, but he had a pretty meh year. You should be happy you got him here, this is a steal and probably won't happen. Stop bitching every time you don't get *your* player. Maybe if you spent as much time actually watching the Falcons play as you do claiming you know everything about the Falcons and that everybody else don't know **** about them you'd probably get better results.

As for the Patriots draft, I like it. Costanzo is a very realistic pick, local kid and BB likes offensive linemen from BC. Kerrigan is perfect, but Aldon Smith does have a lot of value there as well and could be a possibility if he's there.
I've watched every Falcons game for over 15 years RAzor. Wanna shut the hell up?

I'm bitching because the pick doesn't make any sense. And TD says that's the easy thing to do. but that THEY DONT BECAUSE THEY ONLY GET PLAYERS THAT FIT.

I know how the Falcons operate. I'm sorry that you guys are too thick skulled here to actually listen to me.

CheeseKnuckles
02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Mark Ingram for the Pack is not necessary. If they pick up a RB it will be later in the draft. A guy more like Kendall Hunter or Locke from Kentucky.

Stephen Wisniewski at 32 would make me much more happy!

bored of education
02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
http://www.wwedvdnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/112.jpg

Seasonticketholder
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Mark Ingram over Akeem Ayers. And I like Ayers a lot. Tough call there.

SINCE1978
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
For better or for worse, Jeff Backus is the LT for at least 1 more year in Detroit. The RT position is intersting with Cherilus/Hiliard battling, but for them to take a Nate Solder that would likely sit his first year, does not make sense. Jim Schwartz is on record as saying he felt Backus quietly had a Pro Bowl type season last year & they already have a bigger/stronger Jason Fox (4th rd pick out of The U in 2009) waiting in the wings.

There are glaring holes @ OLB, CB & S ... Unless it is an impact DE to upgrade over Avril or KVB, I think it makes the most sense to go OLB or CB with pick 13.

Plus if this is the #1 LT taken (in your mock) it is not even a consensus that he is the #1 prospect at teh position. Carimi, Sherrod, Smith, Costanzo each are of equal value to me. So b/c of the avg. talent pool, the glaring hole(s) on D, & the Backus contract situation, thsi is not the year for Detroit to take a LT with their #1 pick.

scottyboy
02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Scar, u mad kid?

vidae
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Great KC pick whoever did it!

nepg
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Chauncey 6-2 262
Abraham 6-4 263
Biermann 6-3 260
Sidbury 6-3 265

Wanna try again?

And How old are you?
Clayborn definitely fits in Mike Smith's defense. Smith has utilized guys like that extremely well in the past. He's a bigger end in the Paul Spicer mold. The Falcons seem to have been focused on finding someone that can replace Abraham eventually, but they certainly have a place on that DL for a player like Clayborn.

And with the character concerns... Prior to and since that incident, we hear nothing but glowing reviews about Clayborn as a person. I think Dmitroff would strongly consider targetting Clayborn with that pick pending interviews.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
No no, that can't be right npeg...scar knows everything about the Falcons, they wouldn't dare touch Clayborn. And he hates being called kid. /sarcasm

Sometimes I wonder about people on this forum.

TACKLE
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Damn I should of been a part of this. That'll show me not to fall asleep on the couch again.

scar988
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Clayborn definitely fits in Mike Smith's defense. Smith has utilized guys like that extremely well in the past. He's a bigger end in the Paul Spicer mold. The Falcons seem to have been focused on finding someone that can replace Abraham eventually, but they certainly have a place on that DL for a player like Clayborn.

And with the character concerns... Prior to and since that incident, we hear nothing but glowing reviews about Clayborn as a person. I think Dmitroff would strongly consider targetting Clayborn with that pick pending interviews.
again, unlike the Patriots, Dimitroff has never drafted a player with an arrest on his record. period. the minute that changes, I will change my view. But until then, I'm sticking to my guns.

3 straight drafts: ZERO players with arrests taken.

and APS, I get quite a few hits on my site. Thanks. I actually get offers for advertisements quite a bit, and could probably make more money off of it than I do at my actual job. I just don't like advertisements so I don't put them up. And it's people like You, Fenikz, TAckle, Chucky, that have made this place suck compared to what it used to be. I'm gonna stick with footballs future. Cause this place is just a bunch of rancid trolls in a good-ole-boys club.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
again, unlike the Patriots, Dimitroff has never drafted a player with an arrest on his record. period. the minute that changes, I will change my view. But until then, I'm sticking to my guns.

and APS, I get quite a few hits on my site. Thanks. I actually get offers for advertisements quite a bit, and could probably make more money off of it than I do at my actual job. I just don't like advertisements so I don't put them up. And it's people like You, Fenikz, TAckle, Chucky, that have made this place suck compared to what it used to be. I'm gonna stick with footballs future. Cause this place is just a bunch of rancid trolls in a good-ole-boys club.

Actually I consider myself, fenikz, TACKLE and Chucky intelligent posters and Id consider most of them to know far more about football then you do. And Ive seen your site, there is no way in hell anyone wants to advertise there. Anyways, if you don't like it here, stop posting. God knows Id enjoy that.

Chucky
02-18-2011, 09:12 PM

:/

Wait....what...so if people don't agree with you then they are rancid trolls and in a good-ole-boys club?

Also...He may have never drafted someone wit character concerns...but how many people has he drafted? under 25 i would assume. He signed Dunta Robinson who deifnately had character concerns surrounding him.

nepg
02-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Dimitroff drafts the same as the Patriots and Chiefs. Don't give me that ****. And I'll just go ahead and bold the extremely small sample size you're talking about.

Atlanta is still building their core, so (like the Chiefs) they can't take chances on questionable characters, but it's always going to be a case-by-case basis. Clayborn is fairly unique in that most of the players that had been arrested in the last few years were clearly problematic characters. By all accounts, Clayborn really doesn't fit into that caste at all.

thebow305
02-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm really starting to like Titus Young the more I watch him, but if we went WR at #15, with Jones and Green off the board and his name wasn't Jonathan Baldwin I'd ******* snap!

I'd probably accept Hankerson there as well, but that's only because I'm a homer.

phlysac
02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Dimitroff may have been fortunate enough to have not yet drafted a player with an arrest record but to forget the arrests of Glenn Sharpe, Eric Weems, Jonathan Babineaux and Quinn Ojinnaka under his watch is only utilizing the side of the argument that favors your position.