PDA

View Full Version : Most Versatile Players in the 2011 Draft

Caulibflower
02-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Which players have the most diverse skillsets?

Razor
02-18-2011, 03:49 AM
On defense I'm thinking Cam Jordan or Akeem Ayers. On offense, Jerrel Jernigan and Randall Cobb comes to mind.

Caulibflower
02-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Cam Jordan was a guy I had in mind. Cam Newton, too. But as far as guys go who aren't such big names, I'm curious about what a guy like Alex Green would be able to do in the NFL. He's got the size of a fullback listed at 6'2" & 230, looks surprisingly fast on tape, and spent the last two years playing in Hawaii's passing-based offense; he set Hawaii's single-game record for rushing yards this year, but also has all that extra experience in pass-protection and receiving. So he's likely to be able to offer a lot of things to an NFL team, and with his size, I'd wonder if a WCO team would be giving him looks as a potential halfback/fullback/H-back, because he's got a lot of the prerequisites for each of those positions under his belt, whether they be size, athleticism, or experience.

Another guy I was thinking about is Lance Kendricks. A lot of people probably know he was originally recruited as a wide receiver, but the fact that he's actually a solid blocker is what makes me want to put him in this thread. If you split him out wide, you've got a guy who is capable of both making a catch over a cornerback, or putting him in the dirt on a running play. If he's got his hand down on the line, you've got a blocker who's always a threat to get open in a seam in a split second.

Grizzlegom
02-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Charles Clay comes to mind. Could be a FB, TE, or H-Back and will be good on special teams.

Stanley Havili for a lot of the same reasons, RB/FB, good at carrying the ball, running routes/catching the ball.

On defense I'll say Martez Wilson. I think he can play any LB position in any scheme and even convert to DE if you wanted him to.

And lastly the obligatory Owen Marecic. He can play offense and defense, not really anyone more versatile than that!

Don Vito
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Randall Cobb is the first guy that comes to mind on offense. Von Miller can do a lot for a team on defense.

CheechHarvin12
02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Hate to say it because I'm not a fan of his as a QB, and it will probably cause a ruckus...but there's gotta be a mention of Cam Newton. Throwing, Running. plus he's looked like he can catch on at least one occasion. To reiterate, not a fan, but his skillset has the chance to be pretty diverse if a team wanted it to be.
Owen Marcecic for sure, also.

thegreatone
02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Like others have said, Cobb was the first person that comes to mind.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Charles Clay comes to mind. Could be a FB, TE, or H-Back and will be good on special teams.

Stanley Havili for a lot of the same reasons, RB/FB, good at carrying the ball, running routes/catching the ball.

On defense I'll say Martez Wilson. I think he can play any LB position in any scheme and even convert to DE if you wanted him to.

And lastly the obligatory Owen Marecic. He can play offense and defense, not really anyone more versatile than that!

Yeah I came in here to mention Marecic. Very admirable what he did at Stanford. I know his future is at FB in the NFL, but he's the type of player who will hit you in the mouth no matter where you line him up, gotta love that in a guy. Plus, if your LB core gets shredded by injuries might be nice to have a guy who has experience there, might save you a roster spot.

Also, in continuing to drive the Cam Jordan hype train, I must say CAM! JORDAN! Dude can play anywhere!

SimonRath
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Cam Jordan was a guy I had in mind. Cam Newton, too. But as far as guys go who aren't such big names, I'm curious about what a guy like Alex Green would be able to do in the NFL. He's got the size of a fullback listed at 6'2" & 230, looks surprisingly fast on tape, and spent the last two years playing in Hawaii's passing-based offense; he set Hawaii's single-game record for rushing yards this year, but also has all that extra experience in pass-protection and receiving. So he's likely to be able to offer a lot of things to an NFL team, and with his size, I'd wonder if a WCO team would be giving him looks as a potential halfback/fullback/H-back, because he's got a lot of the prerequisites for each of those positions under his belt, whether they be size, athleticism, or experience.

Another guy I was thinking about is Lance Kendricks. A lot of people probably know he was originally recruited as a wide receiver, but the fact that he's actually a solid blocker is what makes me want to put him in this thread. If you split him out wide, you've got a guy who is capable of both making a catch over a cornerback, or putting him in the dirt on a running play. If he's got his hand down on the line, you've got a blocker who's always a threat to get open in a seam in a split second.

the only reason you mentioned Alex Green is cause McShay mentioned him on SportsCenter.

PossibleCabbage
02-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Probably, most of the guys in any given who can play 3-4 different positions are offensive linemen. Ijalana, for example, has a shot at LT, LG, RG, RT at various points in his development.

rawdawg
02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Charles Clay is very versatile. I love what he brings to the table in the right type of offense. I think there's even a possibility his best case scenario could be like a Peyton Hillis.

Marecic is interesting, but I don't think you want him playing LB for your NFL team. Going to be a decent FB and a great asset on special teams, though.

Randall Cobb, can play some RB and WR. As has been mentioned, along with the various guys who provide scheme diversity on defense.

A guy that hasn't been mentioned that I like is Cecil Shorts III, out of Mount Union. He's a decent WR, he can probably be a gunner on punts, can return kicks, and I also believe he was the #2 QB for Mount Union, so I'm sure he can do some wildcat stuff too.

Caulibflower
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
the only reason you mentioned Alex Green is cause McShay mentioned him on SportsCenter.

I don't watch SportsCenter. But I was talking to McShay a few weeks ago over a couple beers, and I brought up Alex Green. McShay hadn't heard of him.

SimonRath
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't watch SportsCenter. But I was talking to McShay a few weeks ago over a couple beers, and I brought up Alex Green. McShay hadn't heard of him.

soooo funny..

Matthew Jones
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Jerrel Jernigan is probably the most versatile if you ask me. Wildcat, handoffs, reverses, screens, kick returns, etc.

Chidi29
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Justin Rogers out of Richmond is versatile. Cornerback is the main position obviously but he's gotten time on offense running, receiving, and throwing. Also the team's punt return man.

Clint Boling has played a bunch of spots along the offensive line, too.

Caulibflower
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
soooo funny..

I just woke up. Give me time.