PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rams 2011 Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

NGSeiler
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
The season's over, so let's start a new thread for the off-season of 2011.

NFL Draft
R1: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
R2: Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
R3: Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State
R4: Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii
R5: Jermale Hines, DB, Ohio State
R7: Mikail Baker, DB, Baylor
R7: Jabara Williams, LB, Stephen F. Austin
R7: Jonathan Nelson, DB, Oklahoma

Rams Free Agents
LB Chris Chamberlain (RFA)
WR Mark Clayton (UFA)
DB Kevin Dockery (UFA)
TE Daniel Fells (UFA)
OT Renardo Foster (RFA)
DT Gary Gibson (UFA)
OG Adam Goldberg (UFA)
OG John Greco (RFA)
DT Chris Hovan (UFA)
TE Darcy Johnson (UFA)
DB Michael Lewis (UFA)
WR Laurent Robinson (UFA)
DT Clifton Ryan (UFA)
TE Derek Schouman (UFA)
LB David Vobora (RFA)

Additions
DB Quintin Mikell (Eagles)
OG Harvey Dahl (Falcons)
LB Zach Diles (Texans)
WR Mike Sims-Walker
DT Justin Bannan

Departures
FS O.J. Atogwe

Beano
02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Shame if he's gone for good, I'll live in hope that we re-sign him, just to save us finding a replacement, I don't really like the idea of having to find another starter via draft/FA, especially with the CBA issues.

If that is it for Atogwe and the Rams, he's the type of guy I'll still cheer for, within reason.

holt_bruce81
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
I've heard that OJ will be meeting with the Redskins tomorrow. I'm hoping the Rams can work something out, at a reasonable price. No way is he worth the 11.5 million he would of made.

holt_bruce81
02-21-2011, 09:54 PM
What are some players you're interested in watching at the Combine this week?

Some gus I'll be closely watching....

1. Julio Jones WR
2. Aldon Smith DE
3. Torrey Smith WR
4. Titus Young WR
5. Adrian Clayborne DE
6. Tyler Sash S
7. Ryan Kerrigan DE
8. Rahim Moore S
9. Robert Quinn DE
10. Corey Liuget DT

tfry
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
What are some players you're interested in watching at the Combine this week?

Some gus I'll be closely watching....

1. Julio Jones WR
2. Aldon Smith DE
3. Torrey Smith WR
4. Titus Young WR
5. Adrian Clayborne DE
6. Tyler Sash S
7. Ryan Kerrigan DE
8. Rahim Moore S
9. Robert Quinn DE
10. Corey Liuget DT

Offense -
Pretty much all the receivers. I'll also be interested in watching those mid-round backs like Murry, Hunter, Thomas, Williams, etc.

Defense -
This has got to be one of the deepest DE drafts of all time. Smith, Jordan, Kerrigan, Quinn, Watts, yada yada yada...I'll be really excited to see those workouts. I'll also have an eye on the OLB position...particularly Akeem Ayers who has been a popular mock pick for us. Now with Otogwe possibly gone, we will need to look at a safety earlier than expected.

holt_bruce81
02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
http://interact.stltoday.com/discussions/sports/jim-thomas-live/LD0218111348/all

We talked about it. We'll see where it goes. But right no, probably not. But we're not closing the door.

I thought he showed a lot of promise last year when he was on the field. He's got a lot of upside and we expect him to make a big jump this season.

We're all still extremely high on John. He's had a run of bad luck with injuries. But when he's played, he's played well. He can be a big part of the o-line this year.

In terms of talented defensive backs being availabe in say the second round...I would say, yes. And I'm already drooling over one guy.

Both are outstanding prospects.

I'm not going to committ to what round "Quizz" will go, but he's gonna be the topic of long discussion in many teams' draft rooms. He's a peanut, but he is a special player.

I would say there's no way we feel we absolutely have to draft any position at 14. Like I said earlier, the board will take us to our pick. As for signing a veteran WR as opposed to drafting one, it's hard to say without knowing the names. There are pros and cons to each.[/quote]

very interesting

Beano
02-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Don't like the idea of a safety tandem of Stewart and Dahl/Butler at all. In fact it scares the crap out of me. But saying that, I wouldn't waste time on Bob Sanders either, unless you get him incredibly cheap.

Greco is interesting, think he has played well this past year when given his chance, but was it a big enough sample size to feel comfortable with him as the starter? Could work out, but I'd still say there's a risk involved.

Taking another DB in the top 3 rounds of the draft? That would concern me. I thought Fletcher did pretty well last year considering he lost a lot of time his rookie year and that injury was pretty nasty. Murphy has barely shown a thing. If there was a guy with incredible value then I'd say go for it, but I'd still rather Bruce Carter (assuming he tests fine after the surgery) in the 2nd.

Thanks for posting them though, they were very interesting indeed.

NGSeiler
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, not a fan of a Stewart/Dahl safety combo. To me, Stewart is a better fit on the strong side anyways.

Julio Jones' outstanding combine performance may push him up boards and out of reach for the Rams, which is disappointing. It's possible the Rams miss out on Jones in Round One, then miss out Smith or Hankerson in Round Two.

There could be a nice DE there for the taking, though. Aldon Smith or Cameron Jordan would be intriguing options, if available and Jones isn't on the board.

holt_bruce81
03-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I think my top 5 would be....

1. Julio Jones
2. Prince Amukamara
3. Aldon Smith
4. Adrian Clayborn
5. Corey Liuget

Beano
03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Mine would be...

J.Jones
A.Smith
JJ.Watt
C.Liuget
C.Jordan

I wouldn't mind the idea of trading down if Jones is gone though, I think we would have the chance to grab at least one of the others later and grab another pick or two.

NGSeiler
03-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Assuming Bowers, Fairley, Green, Peterson, Dareus, Quinn, Amukamara, and Miller are off the board, my Top Five would probably be...

1) J. Jones
2) A. Smith
3) C. Jordan
4) R. Kerrigan
5) A. Ayers

I'm not huge on Clayborn or Liuget at the 14-spot, personally, but I can understand those who would rank them there.

NGSeiler
03-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh, and BTW, Atogwe just signed a multi-year deal with the Redskins. :(

Beano
03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh, and BTW, Atogwe just signed a multi-year deal with the Redskins. :(Gutted. Definitely not going to be the same without him, for whatever flaws he may have had, and most were no way near as big as some made out imo, we're certainly going to miss the amount of turnovers he forced and his blitzing. Will always appreciate the effort he put in during the very dark times of recent past.

Guess it could mean another hole to fill, could move one of the CB's to safety, either way we'll probably need some DB help in the draft, although some would suggest we needed it already.

holt_bruce81
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I don' think Atogwe's loss is that big.

He gets turnovers and was a leader in the locker room, but he made bucketloads of mistakes, not a great tackler, not good in coverage and his interceptions weren't really good game skills just good fortune imo, Tipped passes right to him etc.

I think we can easily replace him.

Beano
03-05-2011, 06:24 AM

He gets turnovers and was a leader in the locker room, but he made bucketloads of mistakes, not a great tackler, not good in coverage and his interceptions weren't really good game skills just good fortune imo, Tipped passes right to him etc.

I think we can easily replace him.Disagree with a bit of that, think it's being a bit harsh. As for easily replacing him, who do you have in mind?

NGSeiler
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

I think we can easily replace him.

I'm rather confused when fans display this kind of analysis of Atogwe. Sure, he wasn't elite. But he was clearly the best safety on this team, and arguably the best or second best DB, depending on where you stand on Bartell. Now the Rams are going to either have to replace him with [a] Darian Stewart, [b] a free agent whom is going to be a downgrade (unless his name is Weddle), or [c] a draft pick that could have been spent addressing another need area on this team.

And who knows if any of those guys are going to be better than O.J. was. James Butler was supposed to be the solution to the Rams' hole at strong safety; I remember liking the signing at the time because of his fit and familiarity with Spags' system. Yet Butler has struggled and isn't even a starter. So much for system fit. Frankly, I think fans who are ambivalent about Atogwe's departure may be forgetting the days when Kim Herring, Jason Sehorn, and Rich Coady lined up as this team's starting free safety.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to going back to uncertainty at the position. Given the fact that the Rams are entering Year Three of the DeSpags era and still have a hole at strong safety, I'm not entirely sure how much confidence to put in this team's ability to find a replacement who is just as good if not better than the player they just let walk.

JMAX12
03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
who are some players that you would like the rams to take on day two, or even later?
with all this talk about safety what if rahim moore drops to us?
i personally really hope we end up with 'quizz rodgers

holt_bruce81
03-09-2011, 04:02 AM
who are some players that you would like the rams to take on day two, or even later?

The two safeties I really like in this draft are Tyler Sash and Quinton Carter.

Another guy I like is Bruce Carter the outside line backer from North Carolina who has first round talent but a torn ACL and the inability to do any workouts before the draft could push him down in the draft to that late 2nd-early 3rd round range.

bigfreak314
03-13-2011, 12:12 AM

One guy I like in the 3rd or 4th would be DeAndre McDaniels, I got a feeling a lot of good safeties are going to slide, not one seems really spectacular. Morris I like but he might be a late 2nd rd guy . A late round prospect i like is Keo out of Idaho. He should be worth a look in the 6th or 7th. Also there is a good chance a RB like Murray or Williams could slide to day 3 b/c of past injuries. The rams need somebody to share the load with Jackson, we seen what happened to guys like Eddie George who gets run into the ground.

holt_bruce81
03-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Scott updated his mock draft.

He has the Rams taking Julio Jones the Receiver from Alabama in round one, and Danny Watkins the Offensive Guard from Baylor in round two.

Thoughts?

ramsfan2005813
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
No problems with the Julio Jones pick. If he's there I believe the Rams take him. While guard is a need I don't see the Rams passing up either Christian Ballard or Rahim Moore as both defensive tackle and safety are arguably bigger needs. That said on the Danny Watkins pick, even though he is a great player with all the attributes they need in a guard (athletic, strong, physical) I cannot see them taking a 27-year-old rookie, which makes him older than John Greco, who coaches/officials are still interested in developing.

NGSeiler
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
I did a Rams mock in early February that had this combination, so I'm down with a Jones/Watkins two-round combo. Both areas are needs and in both instances the Rams are taking one of the best players available.

With Moore, my concern would be whether he's versatile enough for Spags' system, as Spags seems to prefer someone who can both cover but also get up in the box and make some plays. As for Ballard vs. Watkins, I'd probably take the 2nd or 3rd best interior OL prospect over, say, the 12th best DL prospect.

If it were Paea or Liuget there, then I think you'd have to go DL. But I'm not so impressed by Ballard that I'd pass on someone like Watkins, who has really flashed some ability and would immediately improve the Rams' weak interior.

Beano
03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I could get on board with Jones then Watkins. Would concern me that we'd still have to fill the FS, DT and WLB starter spots in the 3rd round onwards. However, if you offered me that draft right now, I'd be seriously tempted to take it. Guess it would depend on how high they actually are on Greco.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Man looking at the Mock draft again it sure would be nice to have Bruce Carter or Martez Wilson slide down a few spots! :)

But with if the draft falls like Scott has it, I think Watkins is probably the best choice. The only two other players I would want are Rahim Moore or Mikel Leshoure.

Beano
03-28-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm huge on Bruce Carter, Jones then Carter would probably be my ideal draft for the first 2 rounds. There's obviously a bit of a risk there (you could argue on both considering the amount of niggly things Jones has gone through at Alabama), but I loved his play before the injury. As Mayock said 'top 15 talent', I wouldn't argue about that.

Lions could easily be a huge issue in getting Carter though. Here's hoping a CB prospect drops if they don't get one at #13. If he's gone, I wouldn't mind Mason Foster in the 3rd.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I think the Rams would have to trade up past Washington to get Jones, no way he falls to #14. If they do trade up you can kiss the 2nd rounder goodbye.

ramsfan2005813
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
New Scott Mock:
1. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
2. Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt
3. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada

First round, no problems. I'd probably prefer Kerrigan as a player but if Spags and the front office like Smith better they're the experts so I wouldn't complain. I don't really like Baldwin as a prospect and don't think the Rams would go WR in round 2 since the only need is really for a clear no.1. Baldwin's too much of a risk and will take just as much development as those currently on the roster (with a higher ceiling). Would love Bruce Carter to fall one more spot, but would even be happy with Mason Foster, as I think he's the second best 4-3 OLB in the draft. Do not like the Green pick at all. He's really not much better than Hoomanawanui (and probably worse) so its basically a wasted pick. Give me a Will Rackley, Colin McCarthy or Quinton Carter and at least fill a need.

NGSeiler
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Agreed, first round is A-OK for me. Smith is one of my top choices if Green and Jones are off the board. But it falls apart after that. Baldwin does not fit the character profile the Rams look for, and a third round tight end doesn't bring much to this team IMO.

holt_bruce81
04-20-2011, 11:48 PM
There was a story on stltoday.com on Will Rackley, sounds like the Rams really like the kid.

Yoda and I are in the middle of a forum mock. So far we have made three selections. Aldon Smith, Titus Young and Greg Jones.

The 2nd round selection was a tough call, Torrey Smith, Marvin Austin and Titus Young were all on the board. I have Titus ranked higher than a lot of people do, he's 3rd on my list for Receivers.

ramsfan2005813
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
The 2nd round selection was a tough call, Torrey Smith, Marvin Austin and Titus Young were all on the board. I have Titus ranked higher than a lot of people do, he's 3rd on my list for Receivers.

I think Smith and Young have close enough potential and work needed that the Rams would go with the higher character/lesser problem-maker and take Smith if they were to take one. That said Smith looks a lot like Donnie Avery

tfry
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree with Ramsfan...if we miss on a reciever in round 1 and Torrey Smith is there in round 2 he's our pick. High character guy that fits the Rams mold.

With that said, I don't see the point in drafting a receiver if we don't land Green or Jones. We have plenty of receivers that fit the young/developmental types. We need that game changing difference maker. Otherwise let's address other areas.

I'm alright with the Smith pick, but I wouldn't overlook DaQuan Bowers. Bowers is arguably the most talented DLineman in this draft. If his knee checks out then I would give him serious consideration.

Baldwin in round 2 doesn't work for me. He's got diva written all over him ala Kenny Britt. He's already had several run-ins with the media this offseason which should tell you something.

A TE in round 3 is terrible. McDaniels offense doesn't utilize the TE position in the passing game so why put such a priority on the position in the draft? OLB is arguably our greatest need and you can even make the case for a safety in the top 3 rounds. Guard and running back are also greater concerns.

If the Rams walked away with Smith, Baldwin, and Green, I'd rate this draft as a D+.

NGSeiler
04-21-2011, 06:23 PM
There was a story on stltoday.com on Will Rackley, sounds like the Rams really like the kid.

I think he'd make a great Round Three option if he's still there. In fact, I recently did a mock that shook out like this for the Rams...

R1: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
R2: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
R3: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
R4: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple
R5: Doug Hogue, OLB, Syracuse
R7: Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson
R7: Ollie Ogbu, DT, Penn State

I have Smith higher, but I can see why some prefer Young. To me, he's just a bit too small and doesn't have the elite breakaway speed he'd need to earn that DeSean Jackson comparison that Mayock is so fond of. Plus, there appear to be some attitude concerns.

With that said, I don't see the point in drafting a receiver if we don't land Green or Jones. We have plenty of receivers that fit the young/developmental types. We need that game changing difference maker. Otherwise let's address other areas.

I don't know that I necessarily disagree with you, and I say that as a guy who has been harping on this team's lack of a legit #1 receiver for the better part of two offseasons. Obviously I want Green or Jones, and missing out on them would be disappointing, but if there's still some talent on the board in round two, it could still be worth it. After that, I'd tend to agree with you - it's questionable how much the Rams would be upgrading.

holt_bruce81
04-22-2011, 02:49 AM
I like your Jamie Harper pick. He's a guy I've kind of forgotten about during this whole draft process.

I think Rams would go Torrey over Titus as well, I think they are graded about the same and Torrey's character would probably make him the selection. I just want a guy that can stretch a defense.

Beano
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
With that said, I don't see the point in drafting a receiver if we don't land Green or Jones. We have plenty of receivers that fit the young/developmental types. We need that game changing difference maker. Otherwise let's address other areas.Over the last couple of weeks that's become my feeling on the matter as well.

I'm also not huge on any of the 2nd round receivers, I either think they're going to be solid pros and never much more than that (Hankerson, Smith although his small hands suggests drops) or I have some concerns about them (Baldwin's character, Young I just think is flat out overrated). I think Baldwin has way more talent than the rest of them, and on the field could easily be a steal, but (rightly with such a young offense) I think the FO will avoid him.

If we were going to take a receiver that wasn't Green/Jones, I'd rather take a punt on Little or Salas in the 3rd or later and fill a starters spot somewhere else. Either OG, OLB, DT etc. in the 2nd.

In other news, the schedule was released, what are peoples opinions. First 8 weeks of the season look particularly tough, assuming the season starts on time ofc. I don't seem to be able to talk myself into anything other than a 1-6 start. Feel free to convince me I'm being overly pessimistic.

ramsfan2005813
04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
In other news, the schedule was released, what are peoples opinions. First 8 weeks of the season look particularly tough, assuming the season starts on time ofc. I don't seem to be able to talk myself into anything other than a 1-6 start. Feel free to convince me I'm being overly pessimistic.

I could see 2-5. Washington is definitely winnable with the change they are going through, that's probably the win you are counting. The Monday night game is the one I would point to as the other most possible win. Its the Rams first Monday night game in a while. Spags is returning to NY. I think they'll play with some major energy and be in it. But good news is the final 9 games. 6 in the division and two against the lower half of the AFC North, all winnable if team hasn't packed it in.

tfry
04-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Beano I agree with your 1-6 record, however, I think we suprise one team with an upset. Either the Giants or Philly could be prime upset opportunities for us.

NGSeiler
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
With the 14th pick, the Rams take... Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina!

Beano
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
So Robert Quinn, who saw that coming?

Still not sure where I am with it.

SuperPacker
04-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Im happy for you guys. In 5 years you are all gonna be estatic because this guy i A PASS RUSHER!!!

ramsfan2005813
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
So Robert Quinn, who saw that coming?

Still not sure where I am with it.

Have to say I was pulling for Amukamara, but certainly some true potential to work with for Spags with Quinn.

NGSeiler
04-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty happy with the pick. IMO, best combination of value and need on the board. Hopefully he and Long will be bookends on the DL for the next decade.

freebirdsrams02
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I like the pick. Fairley probably would have been the pick if he was on the board. Quinn will give that big speed rush we need on passing downs.

SuperPacker
04-29-2011, 04:55 AM
I'm pretty happy with the pick. IMO, best combination of value and need on the board. Hopefully he and Long will be bookends on the DL for the next decade.

HOPEFULLY!! Seriously, im more happy for the rams then most of you. This guy is an elite pass rusher. If it werent for him missing this last season he would of been a top 3 pick.

Beano
04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm more excited today than I was last night, I still have some major concerns about him though. I don't buy the guy is some freak pass rusher (11 sacks over a year is nice, but when 8 come in 3 games, I'd expect something nearer 15, especially against the competition he faced) and his combine numbers don't look that amazing from an athleticism point of view. In terms of value, I guess I can't argue with it and since I'm not a huge fan of Prince Amukamara I'm happier we went with Quinn, but I find it hard to be delighted with the pick.

So who do we like in the 2nd? With Baldwin gone I really don't want to us to take any of the receivers in the 2nd, if I had to take any receiver left, I'd want Greg Little but is the 2nd too high? I would actually quite happy if we went defense again, either at OLB/DT/S. I still want Bruce Carter, and if it has to be in the 2nd, I'm fine with it.

tfry
04-29-2011, 07:37 AM
I have to admit I was doing my Nick Fairley celebration dance when the Vikes took Ponder. I never saw the Lions picking Fairley with Suh, Williams, and Hill already on board. When the Lions selected I almost passed out.

Quinn is a fantastic consolation prize however. Spags was hired because of the work he did with New York's dline. Up until this point we have done very little the give him the tools to succeed at those positions. The past two years have been directed towards upgrading our offense. To me, getting the weapons in place on defense is exciting knowing what coach can do with that talent.

There is a lot of quality talent still on the board in round 2. I'd like to see us grab the best DT, OLB, or G available. No need to take a WR at this point. None of them will be an improvement over Avery, Clayton, or Alexander.

Day 1 Grade: A

yodabear
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I think the Rams hit a home run, went on a 75 yard run, whatever the analogy. I think it was an awesome pick. Every mock u read had Quinn going in the to 10, or maybe not getting past 11. I am supried Prince was still on the board too. He woulda been a great pick too. And I was hoping the Lions would not take Fairley too, but Fairley and Quinn going there were great picks by us and the Lions just given that they were both top 10 dudes and we got them at 13 and 14. So yeah, I'll give us an A-. Why adding the -, to be different from the guy that posted above.

I would like to also see us take a DT, OLB, and possibly a secondary player pending on who is around.

freebirdsrams02
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
I think the Rams should Target both of Quinn's college buddies Marvin Austin at DT and Bruce Carter at OLB. If they are both gone Rahim Moore would be a nice S to have. If the Rams go Offense I would like to see them get Rudolph from Notre Dame. He's the top TE which we don't have.

Beano
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Lets play a little game of predict tonight's picks.

I'm going to go say Ras I Dowling in the 2nd and Will Rackley in the 3rd.

tfry
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I think the Rams should Target both of Quinn's college buddies Marvin Austin at DT and Bruce Carter at OLB. If they are both gone Rahim Moore would be a nice S to have. If the Rams go Offense I would like to see them get Rudolph from Notre Dame. He's the top TE which we don't have.

I may be wrong, but I don't think McD's offense utilizes the TE position other than blocking. Carter would be a dream if he checked out medically. Only things is if we keep adding injury risks sooner or later one is going to come back and bit us.

What do you guys think about Stephen Paea? Dude has some stregth and would make our dline absolutely dominating.

tfry
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Lets play a little game of predict tonight's picks.

I'm going to go say Ras I Dowling in the 2nd and Will Rackley in the 3rd.

Not my choice but what I think the Rams will do:

2nd - Torrey Smith
3rd - Kendall Hunter

freebirdsrams02
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think McD's offense utilizes the TE position other than blocking. Carter would be a dream if he checked out medically. Only things is if we keep adding injury risks sooner or later one is going to come back and bit us.

What do you guys think about Stephen Paea? Dude has some stregth and would make our dline absolutely dominating.

Not sure about the TE either, but he is a stud.

I like Paea, but I thought he had a injury as well.

NGSeiler
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Of the players still available, I think the top second round targets for the Rams are Ayers, Paea, Torrey Smith, and Aaron Williams. I'm not crazy about the Rudolph idea, but I'm not completely against it either. Just not sure the offensive system makes enough use out of the position to justify it.

holt_bruce81
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I like Bruce Carter, Titus Young and Mikel Leshoure as well as your list.

I also like Marvin Austin, he's not a Devaney type selection so I don't expect him to be a Ram but man if Spags could get this kid playing up to his potential talk about a great Defensive Line for the future.

Beano
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
As long as we stay away from the WR position in round 2, there's a good chance I'll be happy.

Robert Quinn press conference on the Rams website, due to start in a couple of mins.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/events/live.html (Clicky)

holt_bruce81
04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
If he's on the board I think it'll be Torrey Smith.

He has to be highly rated on the Rams board, fills a need and is such a high character guy.

Beano
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Someone talk up this pick please. Could really do with it.

freebirdsrams02
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Well it looks like we are using a TE next year. I was hoping for one of the DT, but I like the pick.

cvv84
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Kendricks is a descent player but his main asset is in the passing game. He's a converted WR who's undersized for the TE position in the NFL. However he's actually a pretty descent in-line blocker.

With that said I hope you guys use him in the receiving role and allow him to split outside and in the slot where I think he'll be most effective and give you a matchup weapon.

I don't think he's a bad pick for you guys but his skill set is limited in the NFL IMO.

tfry
04-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, DaQuan Bowers, and we take Lance Kendrick!?!? Very disappointing...reminds me of Joe Klopenstein.

cvv84
04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, DaQuan Bowers, and we take Lance Kendrick!?!? Very disappointing...reminds me of Joe Klopenstein.

A young QB's favorite option is the TE. I think he'll be a good pick if you guys use him right.

KCJ58
04-29-2011, 06:51 PM
I Personally Love the pick,

he will be Sam Bradford's Jermaine Gresham in St. Louis

yodabear
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

He isn't Joe Klopfenstein lol. I mean rather woulda had a DT, but as KCJ said Kendrick can be like Gresham for Bradford at Oklahoma.

freebirdsrams02
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
So a TE and a WR on day 2. Just adding weapons for Bradford.

NGSeiler
04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm intrigued by the Kendricks pick. Uh-Oh hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season, let alone that he's a legitimate player in the league. Fendi is a giant project. Truth is, this team doesn't have a legitimate starting tight end. Bradford made great use of the tight end in college, and Kendricks brings versatility and receiving ability to the table. If McDaniels is going to model his Rams offense off of what New England did with a similar scheme and how they used young tight ends to create mismatches, this could be a great weapon.

As for Pettis, I'm not a huge fan of the value, but what do I know? Pettis is a reliable receiver with size. If we learned anything from the Seattle finale, it's that adding some reliable possession receivers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I don't know if Pettis is going to be anything more than a situational guy, but it's possible that after Green and Jones, none of these guys really offered a big upgrade over what the Rams already have. Pettis could beat out guys like Robinson or Gibson if he can show he can catch the ball consistently and move the chains. You can always use guys like that.

Beano
04-30-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm intrigued by the Kendricks pick. Uh-Oh hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season, let alone that he's a legitimate player in the league. Fendi is a giant project. Truth is, this team doesn't have a legitimate starting tight end. Bradford made great use of the tight end in college, and Kendricks brings versatility and receiving ability to the table. If McDaniels is going to model his Rams offense off of what New England did with a similar scheme and how they used young tight ends to create mismatches, this could be a great weapon.

As for Pettis, I'm not a huge fan of the value, but what do I know? Pettis is a reliable receiver with size. If we learned anything from the Seattle finale, it's that adding some reliable possession receivers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I don't know if Pettis is going to be anything more than a situational guy, but it's possible that after Green and Jones, none of these guys really offered a big upgrade over what the Rams already have. Pettis could beat out guys like Robinson or Gibson if he can show he can catch the ball consistently and move the chains. You can always use guys like that.Issue I have with Kendricks, is the value the of TE's in McDaniels systems, now this could be a case that McDaniels hasn't had a TE to use and so didn't, but when has a TE in a McDaniels offense ever put up numbers good enough to spend a 2nd round pick on? I could be way off base, but when I think of McDaniels offense over the last 5 years, I don't think TE production. I understand entirely why we might have taken a TE, as you say Hoomanawanui hasn't been healthy since high school or something, but 2nd round?

The Pettis pick is just a massively uninspiring one for me, I don't doubt he's going to be a decent pro, but I don't think there's going to be much improvement in him from year 1 to year 10.

Yesterday left an awful lot to be desired imo. When I think of the improvement we could have made to our front 7 yesterday, the TE and WR we took leaves me feeling. Meh.

ramsfan2005813
04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Yesterday left an awful lot to be desired imo. When I think of the improvement we could have made to our front 7 yesterday, the TE and WR we took leaves me feeling. Meh.

Yeah, same feeling here. We took a TE in the second in one of the worst TE classes in recent years. That said if it had to be a TE, Kendricks is the one I wouldve wanted. My only problem with Pettis is that Hankerson was still on the board when the pick was made.

Day 3 still has some decent guys to look at in the 4th and 5th. If the Rams could land some combination of Kendall Hunter, Taiwan Jones, Greg Jones, Brandon Burton, or DeAndre McDaniel, it would greatly increase my opinion of their draft.

NGSeiler
04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Issue I have with Kendricks, is the value the of TE's in McDaniels systems, now this could be a case that McDaniels hasn't had a TE to use and so didn't, but when has a TE in a McDaniels offense ever put up numbers good enough to spend a 2nd round pick on? I could be way off base, but when I think of McDaniels offense over the last 5 years, I don't think TE production. I understand entirely why we might have taken a TE, as you say Hoomanawanui hasn't been healthy since high school or something, but 2nd round?

The Pettis pick is just a massively uninspiring one for me, I don't doubt he's going to be a decent pro, but I don't think there's going to be much improvement in him from year 1 to year 10.

My counter would be this. Look at how the 2010 Patriots used their young tight ends. They took what probably was still an offense very similar to McDaniels' and adapted it to fit that TE talent, so why can't McDaniels do it? I don't think they'd take a tight end in the second round if they didn't envision incorporating him into the offense (and if that ends up being the case, then they'll have opened themselves up to that criticism). But if Uh-Oh can stay healthy, they'll have two young tight ends who can create mismatches all over the field. There's potential there for some good things to happen.

I understand your lack of enthusiasm about taking him in the second round, but in a weak tight end class, you may as well take one of the best that's going to fit what you're looking for. Kendricks has more potential to help this team than another fifth-round tight end, wouldn't you say? And while Rams fans put a lot of faith in the young tight ends we have, we need to remember we're talking about a fifth-round guy in Uh-Oh who has had trouble staying healthy at both the college and pro levels, and a sixth round prospect in Fendi who is at best a long-term project. Fells and Bajema are okay but nothing special. This wasn't a position we were set at.

As for Pettis, maybe he never becomes more than a possession receiver. But the report on him reads "reliable." How many drives did the Rams have last year that stalled because of dropped passes? The Rams finished 8th in the league in passes dropped, which isn't a good stat to be high in. If Pettis can become a reliable receiver whom Bradford can depend on in the passing game, then he'll overtake guys like Robinson or Gibson who have those mental lapses that kill drives. As to whether he can make improvements over the years, only time will tell. A competitive guy with great hands and body control, who isn't afraid to go over the middle and make the catch, and who put up impressive numbers in the Combine agility drills, I wouldn't count him out.

Yeah, same feeling here. We took a TE in the second in one of the worst TE classes in recent years. That said if it had to be a TE, Kendricks is the one I wouldve wanted. My only problem with Pettis is that Hankerson was still on the board when the pick was made.

Day 3 still has some decent guys to look at in the 4th and 5th. If the Rams could land some combination of Kendall Hunter, Taiwan Jones, Greg Jones, Brandon Burton, or DeAndre McDaniel, it would greatly increase my opinion of their draft.

What's arguably the biggest difference between Hankerson and Pettis? Hands. Hankerson can't shake the dropsies, and Pettis is regarded as sure-handed. If you've got 2nd-3rd round grades on both of them, and don't see either of them as being stretch-the-field kind of guys, then I can see why a team would prefer the more sure-handed of the two. Only time will tell if the Rams made the right choice though, because Hankerson certainly was more highly-regarded by fans and analysts.

Beano
04-30-2011, 10:13 AM
My counter would be this. Look at how the 2010 Patriots used their young tight ends. They took what probably was still an offense very similar to McDaniels' and adapted it to fit that TE talent, so why can't McDaniels do it? I don't think they'd take a tight end in the second round if they didn't envision incorporating him into the offense (and if that ends up being the case, then they'll have opened themselves up to that criticism). But if Uh-Oh can stay healthy, they'll have two young tight ends who can create mismatches all over the field. There's potential there for some good things to happen.

I understand your lack of enthusiasm about taking him in the second round, but in a weak tight end class, you may as well take one of the best that's going to fit what you're looking for. Kendricks has more potential to help this team than another fifth-round tight end, wouldn't you say? And while Rams fans put a lot of faith in the young tight ends we have, we need to remember we're talking about a fifth-round guy in Uh-Oh who has had trouble staying healthy at both the college and pro levels, and a sixth round prospect in Fendi who is at best a long-term project. Fells and Bajema are okay but nothing special. This wasn't a position we were set at.I've never argued we were set there, and if a TE that screamed unbelievable value had have been taken I'd not have too much of an issue with it, but this one to me doesn't. Listen, I'm not down on Kendricks, just the value/need combination isn't there for me, especially with who was on the board.

I don't see the correlation between what the Pats did without McDaniels and how it relates to what McDaniels done every year he's controlled an offense. They were already a year removed from a McDaniels controlled offense, and it was only when they seemed to drastically change it to fit their personnel that it clicked. What he did at Denver is much more applicable imo, and his TE's weren't there to catch too many balls. Maybe it is because, as I mentioned earlier, he didn't have any TE's he felt that were good enough and genuinely hope that is the case, because otherwise in 2/3 years time we'll be saying "what was the point?".

Pettis will be a solid pro, I have no doubts about it really. Although that huge game Boise had v Nevada lives in my memory, because quite frankly he seemed to choke in it big time. But it's just not exciting.

The biggest annoyance for me about these 2 picks, were the players we passed on (Paea and Foster are what I'm thinking here, but then I'm a bit of a Foster fan so this was always going to annoy me more than some others might). When I think of the injection of youth and talent that our front 7 could have got overall in this draft, it would have had me excited.

Diggs Laurinaitis Foster
Quinn Paea Robbins Long - Hall, Ah You, etc rotating.

That to me would have been an exciting draft and that's really where my 'meh' feeling comes from, not so much because of who we selected. But as always about draft picks, you won't find a guy happier to be proven wrong.

NGSeiler
04-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I've never argued we were set there, and if a TE that screamed unbelievable value had have been taken I'd not have too much of an issue with it, but this one to me doesn't. Listen, I'm not down on Kendricks, just the value/need combination isn't there for me, especially with who was on the board.

I don't see the correlation between what the Pats did without McDaniels and how it relates to what McDaniels done every year he's controlled an offense. They were already a year removed from a McDaniels controlled offense, and it was only when they seemed to drastically change it to fit their personnel that it clicked. What he did at Denver is much more applicable imo, and his TE's weren't there to catch too many balls. Maybe it is because, as I mentioned earlier, he didn't have any TE's he felt that were good enough and genuinely hope that is the case, because otherwise in 2/3 years time we'll be saying "what was the point?".

Pettis will be a solid pro, I have no doubts about it really. Although that huge game Boise had v Nevada lives in my memory, because quite frankly he seemed to choke in it big time. But it's just not exciting.

The biggest annoyance for me about these 2 picks, were the players we passed on (Paea and Foster are what I'm thinking here, but then I'm a bit of a Foster fan so this was always going to annoy me more than some others might). When I think of the injection of youth and talent that our front 7 could have got overall in this draft, it would have had me excited.

Diggs Laurinaitis Foster
Quinn Paea Robbins Long - Hall, Ah You, etc rotating.

That to me would have been an exciting draft and that's really where my 'meh' feeling comes from, not so much because of who we selected. But as always about draft picks, you won't find a guy happier to be proven wrong.

Well, regarding Kendricksí value, I believe he was Pro Football Weekly's 29th overall player, and Devaney said in the press conference after his selection that they considered trading up to make sure they got him. So there's some disagreement about where Kendricks fit, value-wise. I entered the day more along your lines, but obviously the Rams disagreed. So far, I feel like this regime has earned the benefit of the doubt from me. Regarding McDaniels and tight ends, I donít know that heís ever had great personnel at the position, though Ben Watson put up some decent numbers at times while McDaniels was running the New England offense. Either way, the reason Iím comparing the two is because of their relationship with one another and how that could be a pathway for a similar transition for McDaniels. Again though, if in two or three years Kendricks just hasnít been utilized much and it's the same ol' from Josh, then Iíll join you in criticizing the pick.

As for the players we passed up, thatís usually the case with every draft Ė bigger name players get bypassed for other guys who arenít as highly thought of or well known. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it flops. Many people were arguing for other players last year when the Rams took Saffold in round two, and that worked out. Maybe that's the case here, maybe not. My impression from what Iíve read is that Spagnuolo naturally isnít inclined to use high picks on defensive tackles and outside linebackers. While a guy like Paea appeals to fans, perhaps the Rams donít think heíll fit what theyíre looking for or havenít been able to clear him medically. Paea and Foster could go on to become key pieces of Chicago and Tampaís Cover 2 based system, for instance, but whoís to say theyíd do the same in the system Spags has installed for the Ramsí defense? Itís a question worth considering, but I was a fan of Foster as well and hope the Rams plan on upgrading the WILL linebacker position at some point.

Beano
04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I can't really argue with any you say. The regime probably does deserve more benefit of the doubt than I give them, especially with the success they have had in the 2nd round. I do have keep reminding myself this isn't the Shaw/Zygmunt regime, those dark days have scarred me, clearly. :)

I've decided though, I want us to draft Herzlich. Don't care if he fits or not, draft him tell him we want you to become either Diggs long term replacement or the future at WLB, I want that guy in our locker room. But then I'd imagine there's fans of all other 31 teams in the NFL thinking the same thing.

freebirdsrams02
04-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Another WR. With Kendall Hunter on the board.

Beano
04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Another WR. With Kendall Hunter on the board.I love Salas, I wanted us to take him at the beginning of the draft. Yet I'm still slightly stunned by it.

NGSeiler
04-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I like Salas as well, another reliable receiver who can be counted on to make the catch. There are still some decent RB options left, though if we go through ANOTHER draft without getting a solid back-up, Devaney will have some 'splainin to do!

D-Unit
04-30-2011, 01:01 PM
You will LOVE Salas. Heart of a champion. I love his fit with you guys too.

freebirdsrams02
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Not the best trade in the world. I thought they might go with Rogers at RB.

What about Ross Homan the OLB out of Ohio St. He could be a good fit.

KCJ58
04-30-2011, 01:37 PM
yea hate to see us trade our pick that ended up be JaQuizz Rodgers, a 2 Headed Beaver Back With Speed in Power, Oh Well, hopefully we can still get a solid RB but I don't see many in these late rounds

NGSeiler
04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Not the best trade in the world. I thought they might go with Rogers at RB.

What about Ross Homan the OLB out of Ohio St. He could be a good fit.

Right school, wrong player. :)

I'm really intrigued by this Hines pick. Hines strikes me as the kind of guy you could line up as a hybrid LB/S in a nickel package and do a variety of things for you. Should help on special teams as well. Solid situational guy who could find a role in sub packages on this defense.

freebirdsrams02
04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
So with the draft almost over and it looks like the Rams are not going to get the back up RB that they need. What possible Free Agents can you guys see the Rams going after. Reggie Bush?

KCJ58
04-30-2011, 03:34 PM
wonder what we do with our 3 picks in the 7th

I would be fine with drafting a RB, DT, LB, or OL

(#216): Mikail Baker CB/Baylor
(#228): Jabara Williams LB/Stephen F. Austin
(#229): Jonathan Nelson S/Oklahoma

NGSeiler
04-30-2011, 03:55 PM
So with the draft almost over and it looks like the Rams are not going to get the back up RB that they need. What possible Free Agents can you guys see the Rams going after. Reggie Bush?

Still a couple of possibilities on the board, but yeah, it's disappointing that yet again they haven't made a better effort to address this spot.

freebirdsrams02
04-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Still a couple of possibilities on the board, but yeah, it's disappointing that yet again they haven't made a better effort to address this spot.

Yeah I am just throwing it out there, since they never come up with a RB in an early round. We took the kid from Texas a few years ago in the 7th and he has done nothing.

I am hoping they go after a OLB like Herzlich with one of thier 7th rounders and maybe a OG or CB.

ramsfan2005813
04-30-2011, 04:22 PM
wonder what we do with our 3 picks in the 7th

I would be fine with drafting a RB, DT, LB, or OL

(#216)
(#228)
(#229)

Ive got the same wants. Maybe Mark Herzlich, Derrick Locke, and Martin Parker

freebirdsrams02
04-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I like the position. Not sure about the pick. I cannot find him on any list of CBs.

KCJ58
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM
7th round selections:

(#216): Mikail Baker CB/Baylor
(#228): Jabara Williams LB/Stephen F. Austin
(#229): Jonathan Nelson S/Oklahoma

there all from the texas/oklahoma pipeline

ramsfan2005813
04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I like the seventh rounders. All have some potential. Baker has some decent KR skills. Jabara Williams can be thrown into the mix at weakside competition and be a good special teams guy. Nelson seems like a high class person who has a chance to be a good converted safety with that work ethic.

tfry
05-01-2011, 03:44 AM
I realize it's almost impossible to grade a draft this early, but we wasted a ton of picks based off of the value available. Heading into next season I see us with one impact player (Quinn). Rounds 2-4 saw us take three receivers (Kendricks, Pettis, Halas). Other than TE can you honestly say we upgraded? Who does Pettis and Halas upgrade on...Clayton? Avery? Alexander? Amedola? Gibson? Robison? Gilyard? IMO we just wasted two more picks on WR3 or 4 recivers. I'd grade Quinn an A, but other than that I wouldn't grade a single pick above a C+.

And for the record I said we should have taken Ryan Kalil over Brian Leonard and Desean Jackson over Donnie Avery. Very disappointed in the Rams draft. Stephen Paea, Mason Foster, and Kendall Hunter would have been much better.

I'll give this staff the benefit of the doubt, but I'm being reminded of the mid-2000's with this one. Very little to appreciate other than Quinn.

Beano
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Salas I loved, I like the Quinn pick, the rest all scream "meh" to me. What really really annoys me, is the depth in 3rd down backs in this draft in the later rounds seemed good on paper, and we completely ignored it. That's possibly annoyed me more than Fridays picks.

NGSeiler
05-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Other than TE can you honestly say we upgraded?

Absolutely.

The Rams did not fill their more glaring hole for a #1-type receiver, though truth be told, they didn't really have a shot at one with Green/Jones gone in the Top Six.

But what they did find was a pair of athletic receivers with size who are actually going to catch what's thrown at them. When your team ranked near the top of the league in passes dropped, finding more reliable targets who will help sustain drives by bringing in the football is an upgrade.

If Pettis and Salas prove to be dependable targets in the passing game, then they'll be upgrades over guys like Gibson, Robinson, and Alexander, who had some key drops for the team this season, as well as a guy like Gilyard who couldn't even get onto the field at times.

Salas I loved, I like the Quinn pick, the rest all scream "meh" to me. What really really annoys me, is the depth in 3rd down backs in this draft in the later rounds seemed good on paper, and we completely ignored it. That's possibly annoyed me more than Fridays picks.

That was a bit disappointing. The way the Rams explain it, the running backs were never the best value on their board when their pick came up, and they were not going to reach to fill a need. Generally that's a philosophy I agree with.

The frustrating thing is we only have access to our own fan draft board, so we might think there is value there and the Rams might not based on their evaluations. Their board might be different. For instance, fans are upset the Rams passed on Mason Foster, yet who knows where the Rams had him. Pro Football Weekly had him in the fifth round on their draft value chart, so you just never know.

Since the value was not there during the draft, it's an area I'd expect the Rams to go after in free agency, whenever that occurs. And maybe they do it by going after some of the guys that would have been UDFA targets right after the draft, but a veteran should be in the mix as well.

Beano
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I could accept that, if it hadn't seemed like every other team around us felt differently. Now maybe our FO know something more than we do, but so many teams around us found the value on some of these RB's more than good enough to take, and some (Falcons springs straight to mind) I would argue had much less of a need than us at grabbing help in the backfield.

I also think Austin Pettis' hands are overrated, but that is mainly down to the horror show that was his performance against Nevada. In fact, it made Alexanders issues in the Seattle game look acceptable.

I'm going to stand by my "meh", and hope come September they change my mind.

NGSeiler
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I think we need to keep in mind that, based on the list of runners the Rams brought in for pre-draft visits, the team didn't appear to be interested in the smaller change of pace backs. Which makes sense if you look at the guys McDaniels favored in Denver (5'10" to 6'0" 'backs that weighed 210-220+ lbs). If you think they should have been, that's another discussion, but let's proceed under their mindset.

So with that in the back of our heads, where was the great value at RB that the Rams passed up? Should they have passed on a potential starting tight end to draft a back-up like Leshoure or Vereen in round two? Should they have reached for Alex Green in round three? Delone Carter or Bilal Powell in round four?

None of these guys strikes me as such amazing value that not taking them is mind-blowing. If you're willing to consider these smaller change of pace guys, then I'm right there with you wondering why we didn't look at Kendall Hunter in the fourth or Derrick Locke with any pick. But it's entirely possible - if not probable based on the pre-draft visits - that those guys just don't fit what McDaniels' offense calls for.

Now, having said all that, if the Rams think they can go into 2011 with Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston as the back-ups again this season, I think that's absolutely the wrong way to go. Having missed out on running backs in the draft, the Rams need to come out in free agency and sign a veteran runner capable of taking 5-7 carries a game off of Steven Jackson's plate so that #39 doesn't wear himself down and possibly get himself hurt. A fresher Steven Jackson is going to be a positive for this offense.

If the Rams weren't satisfied with the options available to them when they made their picks in the draft, then they'd better find someone available in the free agent market to fill that role.

tfry
05-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I agree with everything you guys have said about running back. Very disappointing we didn't upgrade.

What are your thoughts about our linebackers? IMO this was arguably our biggest weakness heading into the draft. Significant upgrades on both sides of James would have been nice. I don't really see where we made any attempt to fill those voids.

holt_bruce81
05-02-2011, 12:50 AM
I agree with everything you guys have said about running back. Very disappointing we didn't upgrade.

What are your thoughts about our linebackers? IMO this was arguably our biggest weakness heading into the draft. Significant upgrades on both sides of James would have been nice. I don't really see where we made any attempt to fill those voids.

I know Spags and Devaney are higher on Josh Hull than a lot of fans are, and I think Jabara Williams comes in and competes for the starting weak-side linebacker spot.

I trust Spags, He knows what players fit his system the best.

As for the backup Running back situation, come on people why are you that surprised? Devaney says the same "oh yeah it's definitely a priority this offseason" every offseason, people make threads about the Rams finally getting a backup runningback and at the end of every offseason we still have Steven Jackson and nothing.

I love the Draft. Robert Quinn was arguably the steal of the draft, him and Chris Long in a few years is going to be a deadly combo. Lance Kendricks is a great receiving Tight End, I Questioned the pick when I first heard it but then after thinking about it, Bradford uses his Tight ends a ton why not upgrade over Billy Bajema and Illinois Mike? Imagine the mismatches Fendi and Lance could give teams in a few years, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here because who knows how Fendi is going to progress but if he does progress well, in a year or two you have Two great athletic Tight ends who can stretch the field and a great blocking Tight End in Illinois Mike.

The two receivers the Rams drafted aren't #1 guys and the Rams receiving core isn't anything to get to excited about but with Sam Bradford, he makes the Receivers better than what they should be. Reading throughout the forum over the past few months Greg Salas was pretty much on everyones "steal list" no fear over the middle, plays with heart, has great hands, good route runner. If these guys are smart enough to learn and understand a playbook, they will be successful with Sam Bradford throwing them the ball. Elite players raise the game of everyone around them and Bradford is elite.

I question the Maikel Baker pick, but there I think your just looking or potential and players that can make your special teams better than what they are.

Robert Quinn - Starter

Lance Kendricks - Starter

Austin Pettis - 3rd or 4th receiver

Greg Salas - 3rd or 4th receiver

Jermale Hines - Starter

Mikail Baker - Practice Squad

Jabara Williams - Starter

Jonathan Nelson - Practice Squad

Am I to high on our draft? maybe. But I trust Spags and Devaney. Bill Devaney has done a great job since being the General Manager of the Rams. Since 2008 19 of his draft picks are on the 53 man roster and 9 of them are starters.

Beano
05-02-2011, 05:58 AM
I trust Spags, He knows what players fit his system the best.I still remember him benching Fletcher for Kevin Dockery.

;)

To move the subject on from the draft, which former NYG defensive player is coming over when FA starts?

tfry
05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Lance Kendricks is a great receiving Tight End, I Questioned the pick when I first heard it but then after thinking about it, Bradford uses his Tight ends a ton why not upgrade over Billy Bajema and Illinois Mike? Imagine the mismatches Fendi and Lance could give teams in a few years, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here because who knows how Fendi is going to progress but if he does progress well, in a year or two you have Two great athletic Tight ends who can stretch the field and a great blocking Tight End in Illinois Mike.

The two receivers the Rams drafted aren't #1 guys and the Rams receiving core isn't anything to get to excited about but with Sam Bradford, he makes the Receivers better than what they should be. Reading throughout the forum over the past few months Greg Salas was pretty much on everyones "steal list" no fear over the middle, plays with heart, has great hands, good route runner. If these guys are smart enough to learn and understand a playbook, they will be successful with Sam Bradford throwing them the ball. Elite players raise the game of everyone around them and Bradford is elite.

I agree TE was a needed area, but there was a lot better talent on the board when we drafted Kendricks. DT had some great prospects and we really could have got a steal at that point in the draft. A round later we passed on Mason Foster to get another WR4. Hopefully we can spend some cash in free agency to help fill a few of these holes. The way I see it, we have glarring weaknesses at Weakside LB, SS LB, Safety, Guard, and Running back. We could also use some depth at DT and CB.

NGSeiler
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Jermale Hines - Starter

Wouldn't count on this one, though I like his potential to fill the Stewart role from last year and line up in nickel packages as a LB/S hybrid.

To move the subject on from the draft, which former NYG defensive player is coming over when FA starts?

DT Barry Cofield.

I agree TE was a needed area, but there was a lot better talent on the board when we drafted Kendricks.

The Rams obviously disagreed. Only time will tell who is right. I think we need to remember that opinions certainly differ on prospects, and what we may consider a good value, others may not. Especially if they don't fit the role the team is looking for.

To use Mason Foster as an example, I'd say many if not most fans pegged him as a second round prospect. He went a full round later and reportedly is being considered a Tampa 2 MLB rather than an OLB. So clearly there was some disparity in how fans valued/viewed him versus how the NFL valued/viewed him.

Also, some would have argued that Mardy Gilyard was one of the best talents on the board when the Rams picked in the fourth round last year, and we're still waiting for that to pay off.

holt_bruce81
05-04-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer-blogs/20110503/Red~Zone-Improvement-was-Rams%27-Goal/

It would probably be a surprise for some to discover that only five NFL teams had more red-zone trips than the Rams' 56 in 2010: New England, 67; New Orleans, 61; San Diego, 59; and Atlanta and Philadelphia, 58. Indianapolis also had 56. Of those six teams, all but San Diego made the playoffs and the Chargers were 9-7. Those six teams combined for a 67-29 record.

The Saints ranked lowest of those teams in red-zone touchdown percentage (20th), but they still scored 31 touchdowns, which was more than the 27 total touchdowns the Rams scored all season.

The Patriots scored 42 red-zone touchdowns, the Colts 38, Falcons 35, Chargers 33 and Eagles 31.

Meanwhile, the Rams' red-zone touchdown production was downright ugly. Their 35.7 percent success rate was better than only Carolina (30.3). No other team was under 40 percent. Their 20 red-zone touchdowns topped only five teams: Buffalo and Cleveland, 19; Miami, 18; Arizona, 16 and Carolina, 10. All those teams had significantly fewer red-zone trips.

Consider that 72.1 percent of the rushing or passing touchdowns scored in the NFL last season came in the red zone. Of the 751 total passing touchdowns, 191 (25.4 percent) were scored by tight ends and 155 of those 191 (81.1 percent) came in the red zone.

Yes, it's nice to have outside speed in your receiving corps. But that doesn't help much when the field constricts inside the 20. Red-zone improvement was a huge need for the Rams, and they believe the addition of Kendricks, as well as big wide receivers Austin Pettis and Greg Salas has helped fill it.

They certainly have more of a chance to do that than any running back.

stlouisfan37
07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
There are a few undrafted free agent running backs that fit the scatback mold we are looking for.

Noel Devine 5-9, 170 West Virginia.
Derrick Locke 5-9, 190 Kentucky
Donald Buckram 5-10, 195 UTEP

I didn't see much of Devine or Locke, and Buckram was injured much of his senior year, which no doubt hurt his stock. However, I saw Buckram a couple times his junior year and he was very explosive. He was in the top 5 in the nation in rushing and scored 18 td's. He is also a very good receiver out of the backfield, and had 3 receiving td's that year, including a 72-yarder. His speed is listed in the 4.4 range, but it doesn't look like he was invited to the combine.

Any thoughts?

Also, I have read an article or two that suggests the Rams are very high on Darren Sproles. I wonder how the rest of you feel about this? I have mixed feelings. A couple of years ago I would have jumped all over him, but now I am not sure. With LT out of the mix last year he had a fantastic opportunity to grab the reins, but he wasn't any more productive and never did win the starting job. I also am of the opinion that being a return specialist is a young player's job, and his numbers in that department will likely decline the closer he gets to 30. The one thing I do really like about him is his production in the passing game, where his numbers have steadily increased over the course of his career.

Is there any chance we go after a guy like DeAngelo Williams, or will he be way too expensive?

Just some thoughts as we (hopefully) head into free agency.

stlouisfan37
07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
One of the things I really like about this rebuilding project is that they aren't trying to build Rome in a day. They recognize the necessity of always moving forward and keeping things in perspective. I look at the 49ers as a perfect example. When Mike Nolan inherited that team in 2005 they had completely deteriorated talentwise. Free agents had left, players had gotten old and retired, coaches had moved on to new places, and they had horrible salaryu cap issues. I remember reading an article at some point that talked about them still having cap hits for players like Rice and Young, who hadn't played there in 6 or 7 years. It was time to rebuild with youth and get their books straight so they could once again be a contender.

So they attacked the problem through the draft, and only added inexpensive free agents where they had to. They made a lot of draft day trades which brought additional picks.

By 2007 they had what the analysts were calling one of the most talented teams in the league, and their record was improving. The only problem was, they had young guys teaching young guys and no veteran leadership, a new offensive coordinator every year to right the ship, and it all boiled down to them having all the talent in the world but no one knowing how to win because they had all joined up together at the same time.

So while we fans look at this team and see how many holes have gone unfilled, I don't see that as such a bad thing. These first couple of drafts have not been real sexy, but I think we have put key pieces in place that will help build a strong foundation.

tfry
07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
One of the things I really like about this rebuilding project is that they aren't trying to build Rome in a day. They recognize the necessity of always moving forward and keeping things in perspective. I look at the 49ers as a perfect example. When Mike Nolan inherited that team in 2005 they had completely deteriorated talentwise. Free agents had left, players had gotten old and retired, coaches had moved on to new places, and they had horrible salaryu cap issues. I remember reading an article at some point that talked about them still having cap hits for players like Rice and Young, who hadn't played there in 6 or 7 years. It was time to rebuild with youth and get their books straight so they could once again be a contender.

So they attacked the problem through the draft, and only added inexpensive free agents where they had to. They made a lot of draft day trades which brought additional picks.

By 2007 they had what the analysts were calling one of the most talented teams in the league, and their record was improving. The only problem was, they had young guys teaching young guys and no veteran leadership, a new offensive coordinator every year to right the ship, and it all boiled down to them having all the talent in the world but no one knowing how to win because they had all joined up together at the same time.

So while we fans look at this team and see how many holes have gone unfilled, I don't see that as such a bad thing. These first couple of drafts have not been real sexy, but I think we have put key pieces in place that will help build a strong foundation.

I agree with the assumption that Sproles will lose some of his return ability and to me that's his greatest stregth. Price permitted, I love to see us grab Ahmad Bradshaw. I think he would really help take the load off of Sjax.
A couple less expensive names I would like to see us go after as a third down back: Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Brian Westbrook.

NGSeiler
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
There are a few undrafted free agent running backs that fit the scatback mold we are looking for.

We as in fans or we as in the Rams? Because if you look at all of the running backs who came in for pre-draft visits with the Rams, they did not fit the scatback mold. The only running back Spags/Devaney has drafted so far was Chris Ogbonnaya, who was 6'0" and 220 pounds. There were rumblings that the Rams were interested in Darren Sproles at one point, but I'm wondering if their mindset regarding the type of depth they want at running back is different than what most fans would pursue.

I agree with the assumption that Sproles will lose some of his return ability and to me that's his greatest stregth. Price permitted, I love to see us grab Ahmad Bradshaw. I think he would really help take the load off of Sjax.

Bradshaw is intriguing, but at 25 years old coming off of a season where he carried the ball 270+ times, do you think he'll want to come to a team to be a back-up/situational guy? I'm not so sure.

ramsfan2005813
07-20-2011, 02:04 PM
If the team is going to sign a mid-level back I would much rather see the team sign Joseph Addai than Sproles or Cadillac. He's a good pass protector, decent hands, and a more diverse runner than either player. He has injury concerns, but certainly not as much as a 30 speed back or one with multiple knee injuries. That being said, I would still rather to the money go towards addressing the DT and OLB positions, running backs are becoming a dime a dozen position in the 3rd/4th round, no reason to spend money on a back that is likely going to deteriorate two years into the deal.

tfry
07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Bradshaw is intriguing, but at 25 years old coming off of a season where he carried the ball 270+ times, do you think he'll want to come to a team to be a back-up/situational guy? I'm not so sure.

Good point, but there isn't a large market for running backs out there and Bradshaw will never be a "Carry the Load" type of back IMO. He and Jackson could each help prolong their careers a year or two by splitting carries. A 60/40 split with Jackson and Bradshaw would not be a bad thing.

As it stands, if Jackson goes down (Which is highly likely) we are in a lot of trouble in the backfield.

freebirdsrams02
07-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Any thoughts on players the Rams might let go to get rid of when training camp finally starts.

NGSeiler
07-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Good point, but there isn't a large market for running backs out there and Bradshaw will never be a "Carry the Load" type of back IMO. He and Jackson could each help prolong their careers a year or two by splitting carries. A 60/40 split with Jackson and Bradshaw would not be a bad thing.

As it stands, if Jackson goes down (Which is highly likely) we are in a lot of trouble in the backfield.

Bradshaw may not be a "carry the load" back, but at 25 years old and coming off of a 276-carry season, I don't see him signing with a team to be second fiddle to someone else. Worst case scenario for him (IMO) is he returns to the Giants.

Any thoughts on players the Rams might let go to get rid of when training camp finally starts.

Well, I believe the roster will be expanded for training camp, but will be trimmed as we get closer to the regular season. I imagine quite a number of guys are going to be in thick competitions for roster spots, all over the place. For as much progress as the Rams made in 2010, there are still plenty of areas where they could upgrade, specifically in terms of depth.

ramsfan2005813
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Here's a list of reported Rams UDFA signings so far for anyone that hasn't seen it. There's also been reports of Derrick Locke having agreed to a deal with the Rams but its also been reported that he had a deal with the Vikings earlier, so it might just be wishful thinking that circulated the report.

James Dockery (CB, Oregon State)
Taylor Potts (QB, Texas Tech)
Arthur Thomas (DT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff)
Dionte Dinkins (CB, Fort Valley State)
Bryant Browning (OG, Ohio State)

No one really big on this list...mostly guys that were expected to undrafted for the most part. Potts is intriguing as a developmental QB under McDaniels but that's it really...wasn't overly impressed with his college career. He had good numbers but it was Texas Tech (though his numbers didn't falter much with Tommy Tuberville coming in).

NGSeiler
07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Word on the Twitter is that the Rams may give Carolina LB Thomas Davis a call if he's released, due to his familiarity with the Rams' defensive system.

They've also talked with Saints LB Scott Shanle and may set up a visit with him.

NGSeiler
07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Rams have reached an agreement with former Eagles safety Quintin Mikell.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/95980814529073152

Beano
07-26-2011, 05:39 PM
So happy with that move, one of the more underrated players in the NFL and fills a massive need.

Great start to FA period imo.

tfry
07-27-2011, 10:25 AM
So happy with that move, one of the more underrated players in the NFL and fills a massive need.

Great start to FA period imo.

I agree. However with the amount of money we threw at him I'd say he wasn't underrated by any means!

Where do we go next? I'd like to see us address the outside 'backer positions.

Barry Cofield signed with Washington so he's out as a DT upgrade option.

Beano
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Nice little article on Mikell and the Rams. (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/27/free-agency-2011-rams-nab-mikell/)

Where do we go next? I'd like to see us address the outside 'backer positions.I wouldn't mind us doing that, I've seen Scott Shanle mentioned, and if that's the standard we're looking at, then I'd rather we not bother and just give Vobora an extended run in the side. :)

ArkyRamsFan
07-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Nice little article on Mikell and the Rams. (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/27/free-agency-2011-rams-nab-mikell/)

I wouldn't mind us doing that, I've seen Scott Shanle mentioned, and if that's the standard we're looking at, then I'd rather we not bother and just give Vobora an extended run in the side. :)

Agree. I'm looking at us getting the 'Skins' Rocky McIntosh for OLB. While I would really like to make a play for Carolina's James Anderson somehow methinks he is gonna be too expensive....

tfry
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Just read on Rotoworld.com that the Rams are showing serious interest in Stewart Bradley. Injuries aside, that would be a terrific signing for us. Bradley would be an instant upgrade and really give us two superb linebackers.

Other linebackers the Rams have been linked to: Shanle, Zac Diles, and Ben Leber.

I also read that the Rams have enter the Sidney Rice discussion. Not sure if this is true or if it's just Rice's agent drumming up a market, but he would be a huge impact for us out wide.

Beano
07-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't consider Shanle or Diles upgrades in anyway at all, Leber is slightly better. Not sure I'd be over the moon with any of them, Bradley offers some upside I guess, but I'm not that big a fan of his.

The Rice rumour is certainly picking up, wouldn't mind it to happen at all.

Also seen talk that we're interested in Brandon Mebane, would definitely take him in a heart beat, would improve our front 4 even more.

ramsfan2005813
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Bradley of three years ago would be a great sign but after that injury he did not look right out on the field last year when healthy for the most part, when he looked completely lost in coverage in the few games I saw. I don't know about his viability as an outside linebacker.

Mebane would be a very nice sign. I would have no problem offering a deal in the ballpark of Barry Cofield's (6yr/36mil i believe) if we still have the money. Not only would it drastically upgrade the Rams 3-tech talentwise over guys like Gibson and Cudjo, but it almost completely trashes the Seahawks d-line.

ArkyRamsFan
07-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Bradley of three years ago would be a great sign but after that injury he did not look right out on the field last year when healthy for the most part, when he looked completely lost in coverage in the few games I saw. I don't know about his viability as an outside linebacker.

Mebane would be a very nice sign. I would have no problem offering a deal in the ballpark of Barry Cofield's (6yr/36mil i believe) if we still have the money. Not only would it drastically upgrade the Rams 3-tech talentwise over guys like Gibson and Cudjo, but it almost completely trashes the Seahawks d-line.

Agree and agree. Besides isn't Bradley more of an inside type? We've already got JL and we need a legit, athletic LB to play either the Will or Sam spot.

Really wishin' that we would have selected Steven Paea instead of Kendricks in round 2 last April. You can see how tough it is to sign high quality D tackles when teams are all wanting them and bid the price up and up.

Also, really hoping the Rams look to sign a guard like Davin Joseph or Harvey Dahl so we don't have to suffer watching Adam Goldman try to run block this next year.

NGSeiler
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
It would seem to me Diles or Leber would be upgrades over whatever the Rams currently have at WLB (Chamberlain?). Shanle, I'm not crazy about but he'd be solid enough. If Bradley can stay healthy, he'd be a great addition at SLB. But the health does worry me a bit.

The Rams were apparently lukewarm on Cofield, but are interested in Mebane. Hopefully they can make that happen. Would have been nice to get Sidney Rice; him going to a division rival is a double whammy, but the Seahawks' QB situation doesn't scare me at all.

Still waiting to hear any real news on the RB front...

Beano
07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Would have been nice to get Sidney Rice; him going to a division rival is a double whammy, but the Seahawks' QB situation doesn't scare me at all.Agreed, although if their rookies pan out, whomever it is throwing the ball could have an awful long time to do so. They seem intent on building a very decent O line.

Snelling and Harrison are apparently the RB's we're being linked to, would probably take Snelling as first choice from them. Still want us to make a serious play for Mebane though, seen some talk that it's between Seattle and Denver now. Also seen us mentioned with Malcom Floyd, I'm not that bothered if we do chase a "deep threat", but contract depending, I would be OK with it.

Surely we're going to get one former Giant? I know Spags worked with Mikell in Philly but it's become a bit of a tradition to raid their freebies.

tfry
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I read this morning that STL is the favorites to land Darren Sproles.

NGSeiler
07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I read this morning that STL is the favorites to land Darren Sproles.

To clarify, I believe that was based on a tweet from South Florida Sentinel writer Omar Kelly...

http://twitter.com/#!/OmarKelly/statuses/96527398509621249

NGSeiler
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
How quickly things change; the Rams are apparently no longer in the running for Sproles, according to the San Diego Union Tribune...

New Orleans, Philadelphia and, yes, Chargers in running for Sproles. I'm told that's the final 3. Decision soon.

https://twitter.com/#!/sdutChargers/statuses/96648006098628609

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Rams appear to be heavily in the mix for former Falcons OG Harvey Dahl, who would be a big improvement at right guard.

Sources
http://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/statuses/96990656744005632

https://twitter.com/#!/AJCFalcons/status/96964616265019392

ArkyRamsFan
07-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Rams appear to be heavily in the mix for former Falcons OG Harvey Dahl, who would be a big improvement at right guard.

Sources
http://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/statuses/96990656744005632

https://twitter.com/#!/AJCFalcons/status/96964616265019392

I would feel a lot better about this FA period if we can make that happen. S. Jax' 3.8 ypc last year should take a major leap upward with a guy like Dahl plowing in front of him.

Also, have heard that the Rams are hot on the trail of Dahl's teammate Jason Snelling. If we get these two our running game has taken a quantum leap forward.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Dahl signing is official, four-year deal!

Beano
07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Love the move, if his friend Mr Snelling comes over as well, I might be way too optimistic about the season. Really has been an excellent FA period so far, fingers crossed we can make another decent splash or two.

ramsfan2005813
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Definitely an upgrade, but a part of me was hoping to get a longer glimpse of what Greco could do as a starter. Still Dahl is one of the better maulers in the league and solidifies the rams offensive line as the most solid left to right, if not the best all-around in the division.

Other news Rams have made an offer to Brandon Mebane.

ramsfan2005813
07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Another hole possibly filled. Zac Diles and Rams agree to one year deal.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Another hole possibly filled. Zac Diles and Rams agree to one year deal.

It's a solid signing, I like it! He's young and has good size. A one-year deal to see what he's capable of in this defense is pretty reasonable.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Updates
-DC's own Shane P. Hallam (http://twitter.com/#!/ShanePHallam/status/97063366102745088) is hearing that the Falcons and Rams are bidding for RB Jason Snelling's services.

-The Sporting News' Eagles correspondent Geoff Mosher (http://twitter.com/#!/geoffmosher/status/97061652574380032) is reporting that Al Harris is in St. Louis and is talking contract.

freebirdsrams02
07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
So far looking good for the Rams a S, OG, and LB. Snelling, Harris, and Mebane would be huge.

Has anyone heard if there is any WR they are interestd in or talking to.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
They were apparently in the Sidney Rice talks but obviously didn't win that.

Softli was reporting that they were interested in Plaxico, but that hasn't gone anywhere and they seem to be out of the running there.

The only other option I've seen the Rams reported as showing interest in is... Brian Finneran. :\

Haven't heard much on the Mark Clayton front.

freebirdsrams02
07-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I just read where they have 6 of the 8 draft picks signed. Just waiting on Quinn and Pettis.

Mebane looks to be headed back to Seattle, which would have been a double whammy for us.

Finneran wouldn't help at all. Clayton is injury prone.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Pettis signed today; Quinn is the only pick left unsigned.

Mebane resigned with Seattle today as well, yeah.

Beano
07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
A Texans friend of mine just sent me a msg laughing. Low risk move I guess, but I'm not expecting much. Not really a fan of the Harris move either, 37 coming back from an injury ravaged year where he hardly played. Meh. Gutted about Mebane, would have loved to have swiped him from the Hawks, but oh well. That would probably have been to good to be true.

Hoping we get Quinn signed up quickly, I'm liking how quick the rookies have been signing though, if that's going to be the case each year now, then the months of this lockout nonsense was probably worth it. The numbers they're getting as well are much easier to swallow.

ramsfan2005813
07-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Justin Bannan may be the backup plan at DT. Heard some news that he and the Rams were talking yesterday as well as continued discussion with Mark Clayton. Something I found interesting looking back over Clayton's numbers, he played in 76 of 80 games with the Ravens. While he does seem to get nicked up often, last season was the only year in his career that he has really missed a significant amount of full games. He is some one with experience, decent hands, and most of all an ego that isn't very large to give time to the young guys (Alexander, Pettis, Salas) to work the way in. Personally, I would rather see him back than have Burress or Moss come in and possibly hinder Bradford's progression in making reads by demanding the ball.

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Rams plan on releasing Jacob Bell tomorrow after he refused to restructure his $6mil base salary...

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/97098241904099328

NGSeiler
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
WR Mike Sims-Walker has tweeted that he is joining the Rams.

rockio42
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
WR Mike Sims-Walker has tweeted that he is joining the Rams.

SAYYY WHATTTT!!?!?!? **** yes!

freebirdsrams02
07-30-2011, 12:58 AM
ESPN bottom line also saying Sims-Walker is a Ram!!!! Great pick up if he is.

Beano
07-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Another low risk move, he's had one decent year so fingers crossed he can find that type of form again. It's another move I find hard to get excited by, but one that has a chance to work well.

I always thought Bell was treated pretty poorly by the (online) Rams fan base, generally been the best player on the O line every year he's been here. If he's gone I guess Greco will be starting at LG, if he can stay healthy I think he's shown flashes that he can be a good player, but it's another IF.

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I always thought Bell was treated pretty poorly by the (online) Rams fan base, generally been the best player on the O line every year he's been here. If he's gone I guess Greco will be starting at LG, if he can stay healthy I think he's shown flashes that he can be a good player, but it's another IF.

For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus tends to agree, as they considered Bell the Rams' best lineman in 2010.

yodabear
07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Great signing with Sims-Walker! The Rams are making very, very good moves! Just need a backup running back I would say.

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Rams talking to RB Ronnie Brown, believed to be talking to RB Joseph Addai as well...

http://bit.ly/qqA1Lz

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Some Jacob Bell related tweets...

Jacob bell shows up for afternoon practice.
3 minutes ago

Bell not suited up, a sign that he has restructured. Bell greets spags.
39 seconds ago

Rams guard Jacob Bell just came out to practice field. Not practicing but likely worked out restructured contract.
1 minute ago

Talked briefly to coach Steve Spagnuolo and smiled as he walked away to be with teammates.
1 minute ago

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Rams agree on 3yr deal w/former denver dt justin bannan.
1 minute ago

One would think you could pencil him into the starting line-up next to Robbins.

Beano
07-30-2011, 05:06 PM
It's another solid yet unspectacular move. Classic 2 down player, hopefully will allow us to keep Robbins fresh for those obvious passing downs.

Ronnie Brown would be a nice addition, re-signing Bell is a decent move as well and there's talk we got Brady Poppinga coming in. I'd definitely be happier about the WLB position with him as a starter than Diles.

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
It's another solid yet unspectacular move. Classic 2 down player, hopefully will allow us to keep Robbins fresh for those obvious passing downs.

Ronnie Brown would be a nice addition, re-signing Bell is a decent move as well and there's talk we got Brady Poppinga coming in. I'd definitely be happier about the WLB position with him as a starter than Diles.

I think we're in trouble if we're counting on Brady Poppinga to start for us at linebacker. Also, last time he was in a 4-3 scheme, he played SAM. To me, he's a possible depth player behind Diggs. If the Rams are looking at him as anything more, then I'll be worried.

ramsfan2005813
07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
One linebacker that I would be intrigued to see in a Rams uniform that isn't getting much press is Kawika Mitchell. The guy has been injured the past few years, but he had a good year the season the Giants won the Super Bowl. If healthy seems like a player that could come in and give a couple above average seasons at OLB in Spags D.

NGSeiler
07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Robert Quinn has signed, meaning all draft picks are now signed.

rockio42
07-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Jacob Bell staying is great news. He has been vastly over-critized the past couple years an this brings a lot of versatility on the o-line.

If he gets hurt or fails to impress the staff than we have Greco off the bench, and even if someone like Smith or Saffold got hurt we would have the versatility to kick someone out to RT in either case. I like the depth and competition this o-line has.

rockio42
07-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Tweets reporting John Greco has been traded to Browns. And now I feel like an idiot haha damnit.

Beano
07-31-2011, 04:12 AM
I think we're in trouble if we're counting on Brady Poppinga to start for us at linebacker. Also, last time he was in a 4-3 scheme, he played SAM. To me, he's a possible depth player behind Diggs. If the Rams are looking at him as anything more, then I'll be worried.I'm already worried that we might have Diles pencilled in as a starter at WLB, so I'm clutching at straws in the vain hope we're not going to be subjected to the same guff at the position that we've had to deal with since Tino got released.

NGSeiler
07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm already worried that we might have Diles pencilled in as a starter at WLB, so I'm clutching at straws in the vain hope we're not going to be subjected to the same guff at the position that we've had to deal with since Tino got released.

I don't see Poppinga being the guy that does it, though. And while I know you're not a fan of Diles, I really don't see a better starting option on the weak-side on the Rams' roster. Chris Chamberlain? No thanks.

Beano
08-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Just to put Diles last year into some perspective, on Profootballfocus, Chamberlain had a grade of -2 for his snaps (130ish) last year, Vobora +4 for his (230ish). Zac Diles -20 on his 600. That's a guide to how they thought he played and as I said my Texans friend ripped into him big time. From what he said we can expect a guy that will consistently shoot by his gap, a guy that if a lineman gets anywhere near him he's out of the play and a guy that really struggles in coverage. The positive was he's generally a sound tackler.

NGSeiler
08-01-2011, 07:33 AM
There's no disputing that Diles had a poor season last year, though it's worth pointing out he had some injury concerns he was struggling with as well. Hopefully he's healthy and ready to contribute. I still like his ability and upside as a starter more than anyone else the Rams had in-house for the position.

ramsfan2005813
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Spags quote on Diles: "He’s a bigger linebacker. We’ve kind of gone the other way, where we are not really tagging them, weak or strong. They have to play both. So what I’d like to do is wait and assess him here and see where he best fits in and let him battle for that spot."
http://aeryssports.com/the-pigskin-arch/2011/07/31/spags-rams-camp-update-july-31/

A lot of nothing in that statement. Seems more like a guy they were intrigued about when worked out rather than a guy they really think they can plug in...

Another under the radar move, the addition of Daniel Muir. But it comes with the potential of bad news. The Giants are interested in Jason Snelling if Bradshaw doesn't lower his demands. New York would be a much more attractive option for him since they can offer more money and would be a step up rather than playing behind another clear number 1.

Beano
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Another under the radar move, the addition of Daniel Muir. But it comes with the potential of bad news.Surely the bad news is we've taken a DT from the Colts? ;) Bannan move was good, classic run stuffer that can do a decent job, but it's really hard finding anything anywhere positive about Muir.

I'm hoping Snelling to the Giants is the Giants' way of forcing Bradshaw to the table.

ramsfan2005813
08-01-2011, 12:56 PM
May have been. Bradshaw's back with Giants and Snelling still out there.

Agreed that Muir was terrible last year, but he showed flashes in 2009 so he has some talent. Good enough for a 3rd tackle to keep the starters fresh.

tfry
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Rams have been linked to Ronnie Brown for the past day or so. I couldn't complain if he was our backup to Sjax. He could certainly help keep Jackson fresh. I'd still prefer Snelling, but Brown wouldn't be a terrible fallback option.

NGSeiler
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I'd still prefer Snelling, but Brown would still be a big upgrade as the back-up. I'm just happy to see the team actually trying to find an upgrade at the position; we've gone too long with mediocre-at-best guys behind Jackson.

Beano
08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'd still prefer Snelling, but Brown would still be a big upgrade as the back-up. I'm just happy to see the team actually trying to find an upgrade at the position; we've gone too long with mediocre-at-best guys behind Jackson.Agree on pretty much all of that. Picking up Mikkel or Weddle to start at safety was my #1 want this FA period, getting a quality back-up for Jackson was easily #2.

Snelling or Brown would be fine.

tfry
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Tony Softli of ESPN 101 St. Louis is reporting Jason Snelling has never been an option for the Rams. He says Ronnie Brown is the favorite to land in St. Louis.

NGSeiler
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Tony Softli of ESPN 101 St. Louis is reporting Jason Snelling has never been an option for the Rams. He says Ronnie Brown is the favorite to land in St. Louis.

Last Wednesday, when Dahl signed, there was talk online that Snelling had as well, which Softli confirmed wasn't the case from Rams sources. You'd think if he hadn't been a target at all, it would have come up then.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Rams have moved on from Snelling for whatever reason, but Snelling never being an option is a bit strange and directly contradicts at least two reports from Jim Thomas. So, someone is getting some bad intel, be it Thomas or Softli.

ArkyRamsFan
08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
I know we signed Zach Diles to play OLB and all but is their any interest is signing another on the cheap? Someone like. say, Rocky McIntosh?

I'm really surprised that there has not been much buzz concerning him.....

NGSeiler
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I know we signed Zach Diles to play OLB and all but is their any interest is signing another on the cheap? Someone like. say, Rocky McIntosh?

I'm really surprised that there has not been much buzz concerning him.....

Yeah, I thought he'd be an intriguing option as well, but I haven't heard anything about him on the market.

Beano
08-02-2011, 06:18 AM
I'd be good with grabbing McIntosh, last year he was pretty poor apparently, but I think he's horribly miss cast in the 34.

NGSeiler
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Jim Thomas is reporting that the Rams have former Falcons RB Jerious Norwood is "in house!" Not sure if that's just a visit or signed, will add confirmation when it's available.

Beano
08-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Would still prefer Brown or Snelling, Norwood has talent but there's issues yet again to be concerned about. Summed up well with this quote I think.

Jerious Norwood is visiting St Louis. Norwood has game changing ability, but to a change a game you kind of need to be in the game. Heís brittle and wonít offer much help as a third down back as heís not exactly a stud with his blitz pick up.

NGSeiler
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
More from Howard Balzer...

RB Jerious Norwood at Rams' walkthough this morning. Nothing official yet, but he worked out and took a physical yesterday.
24 minutes ago

Even with him, Rams would be in the market for another back.
24 minutes ago

tfry
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
St. Louis Post is saying Cadillac Williams has surfaced as a #2 option for the Rams. Is it me, or is every back remaining on the market being mentioned as a possibility for us? My guess is Daveany is just throwing out veteran minimums to these players hoping he can snag one. Not a bad idea considering the age of the backs being mentioned.

Osi Umenyiora is seeking a trade. What would you think about the Rams making a move for him? It would probably require a 2nd round pick. Not sure I like the idea of giving up a pick that high, but he would make our DE rotation one of the very best in the league.

NGSeiler
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Osi Umenyiora is seeking a trade. What would you think about the Rams making a move for him? It would probably require a 2nd round pick. Not sure I like the idea of giving up a pick that high, but he would make our DE rotation one of the very best in the league.

I would have been interested had the Rams not drafted Quinn. At present, I don't see much of a reason to give up a second round pick and a $10 million a year contract to Osi when the Rams have Long/Quinn for the future and Hall for the present.

tfry
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Ronnie Brown signs with Eagles. I'm starting to get a bit concerned as there aren't many decent options left.

NGSeiler
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Ronnie Brown signs with Eagles. I'm starting to get a bit concerned as there aren't many decent options left.

Do you mean to say Jerious Norwood doesn't have you jumping for joy? ;)

ArkyRamsFan
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Do you mean to say Jerious Norwood doesn't have you jumping for joy? ;)

(Queue Stevie Wonder) "Norwood is signed, sealed, delivered; he's OURS!"

Good signing, great depth and all, but we still need one more RB to help Mr. Jax out. Someone like Cadillac Williams or -still- Jason Snelling would do just fine, thank you.

holt_bruce81
08-02-2011, 05:45 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Rams agree to terms with RB Jerious Norwood. Nice change of pace back to pair with Jackson
57 minutes ago

Good signing right now. Great signing if we get a true backup running back.

freebirdsrams02
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Looks like the Rams are close to signing Cadillac Williams.

On a side note Marc Bulger is set to retire.

holt_bruce81
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Cadillac has officially signed with the rams.

We couldn't ask for more this offseason.

Got a future stud defensive end in the draft, and a top 5 talent in the entire draft. Got Sam some good weapons to work with. Hired an offensive genius. Filled all the holes that needed to be filled. Got Harvey Dahl an absolute monster at guard. Finally filled the backup running back role with two quality players. Got the two most overlayed players on the team to restructure their contracts..:...

Bill Devaney has done a marvelous job this offseason and gets an A+ from me. I don't think I've been this excited for a season since 2001.

ArkyRamsFan
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Queue Stevie Wonder redux: Cadillac is SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED, HE'S OURS!!!!

Great job by Billy and the FO. I'm ready for some...FOOTBALL!!!!

Beano
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Cadillac Williams is one of those guys I feel so sorry for, those injuries have turned what looked an incredibly exciting player into pretty much a shell of that player. I think at best he's average as a runner now. That's one scarily brittle backfield though. My fear is we end up running #39 even further into the ground.

As for Bulger, good luck to the guy. He got David Carr syndrome so bad after that very good, but brutal '06 season.

stlouisfan37
08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I am very pleased with this offseason as well.

I think we brought in starters in Dahl, Mikell, and Bannan.

Sims-Walker has a chance to start and be a huge factor.

While I am not enamored with either Diles or Poppinga, they both have experience and have one thing in common...both played poorly in the 3-4 system they came from. Neither one cost an arm or a leg, and I think the idea is that they were misplaced in a 3-4 system and may thrive in the 4-3. If that is the case then we may be pleased with the move in the long run.

I really like the Al Harris signing, even if he is at the end of his career. I think we have a lot of talent in our secondary, but what we could really use in a heavy infusion of swagger back there. He will definitely bring that to the table!

Between Norwood and Cadillac, I think we should get through the season. Neither is electrifying, but they should carry us for one more year. You can only add so many pieces so quickly. I like the fashion in which this team has been built, and I think we are going to see a lot of fruition from what appear to be uninteresting moves.

Beano
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I think FA has gone pretty well, started really well, but some since then I just think won't work out at all. Mikkel and Dahl are great pick ups. Bannan's decent, Sims Walker could work but I think his past performances have been massively over hyped. Diles was mince last year, but was apparently pretty decent the year before, so maybe I was a little harsh on him. Poppinga is OK as well, just has general health concerns, Al Harris is 37 coming off an injury plagued year, if he is an upgrade why not spend some time going after Carlos Rogers who's perfect for the nickel position anyway? Muir is a terrible pick up imo, both Williams and Norwood have serious health issues, and Williams I think just looks a shell of the player he was.

I'm closer to B than A if I were to grade FA alone. I think generally in the Spags/Devaney era the positions they target are generally spot on, I just think sometimes they could do with trying a bit harder to bring some genuine proven talent in. Rather than taking flyers on low risk, low reward guys.

stlouisfan37
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I agree with your assessment in general.

One thing that I think Spags understands is that you can overhaul a team too fast and the results will be worse if you have too much youth. While Tampa Bay is making huge strides with their youth movement, I don't think anyone really believes they are going to win the Super Bowl with a bunch of 24-year olds.

The Rams have increased their talent level steadily over the course of the last three offseasons, building a strong core of key players at key positions. Are they still missing pieces? Yes. I think next offseason they will address the defense with a stud OLB and the offense with an explosive weapon. They will continue to add talent and the systems will become more comfortable for everyone. I look at this season as a year for the team to really gel and come together. The outlook is definitely a positive one.

holt_bruce81
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
I think FA has gone pretty well, started really well, but some since then I just think won't work out at all. Mikkel and Dahl are great pick ups. Bannan's decent, Sims Walker could work but I think his past performances have been massively over hyped. Diles was mince last year, but was apparently pretty decent the year before, so maybe I was a little harsh on him. Poppinga is OK as well, just has general health concerns, Al Harris is 37 coming off an injury plagued year, if he is an upgrade why not spend some time going after Carlos Rogers who's perfect for the nickel position anyway? Muir is a terrible pick up imo, both Williams and Norwood have serious health issues, and Williams I think just looks a shell of the player he was.

I'm closer to B than A if I were to grade FA alone. I think generally in the Spags/Devaney era the positions they target are generally spot on, I just think sometimes they could do with trying a bit harder to bring some genuine proven talent in. Rather than taking flyers on low risk, low reward guys.

1. Al Harris was brought in more as a mentor to the younger defensive backs like Justin King, Jerome Murphy, Mikail Baker. Because he knows this defense so well, he's like having a coach on the field. I bet the contract is for the minimum and wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't make the final 53-man roster. Just nice to have someone in there right now who knows the scheme and can help prepare the young guys, especially in a situation like this where the team is trying to throw so much at these players because they have less time to prepare for the season than they did in years past.

2. I don't know what's not to like about Bannan or Muir. Both have starting experience, they add much needed depth to the defensive line. Heck we were rolling last year with Gary Gibson and jermelle Cudjo.

3. Caddy and Norwood may come with injuries but I would rather have that than see Keith ****** Toston or Kenneth Darby carry the ball for this team again. At least the two guys we got are still young and have had some kind of success in this league.

4. In Spags' defense the outside linebackers are probably "least" important. He went to two super bowls with below average linebackers on the outside.

Beano
08-05-2011, 05:04 AM
1. Al Harris was brought in more as a mentor to the younger defensive backs like Justin King, Jerome Murphy, Mikail Baker. Because he knows this defense so well, he's like having a coach on the field. I bet the contract is for the minimum and wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't make the final 53-man roster. Just nice to have someone in there right now who knows the scheme and can help prepare the young guys, especially in a situation like this where the team is trying to throw so much at these players because they have less time to prepare for the season than they did in years past.Surely Ron Bartell or Mikkel could be that mentor? I personally wanted another CB brought in, because our nickel play last year was pretty poor, hence my Carlos Rogers point. Plus I think this off season has shown that Bartell is a leader on this football team. I think the combination of both Bartell and Mikkel means the need for more leadership or a mentor isn't there at all.

2. I don't know what's not to like about Bannan or Muir. Both have starting experience, they add much needed depth to the defensive line. Heck we were rolling last year with Gary Gibson and jermelle Cudjo.Bannan is a 2 down stuffer, which I said is decent. Muir by the accounts I've read, is just flat out terrible, regardless of how much he started.

3. Caddy and Norwood may come with injuries but I would rather have that than see Keith ****** Toston or Kenneth Darby carry the ball for this team again. At least the two guys we got are still young and have had some kind of success in this league. If they work out, then I agree they're both upgrades. The problem I have with it is it's yet another if, and it should be a genuine concern that we're bringing in a 29 year old guy with a history of some terrible, terrible knee injuries and a guy who's had issues staying on the field pretty much every year he's been in the NFL. You wouldn't find many people happier if Williams found even some of the spark he had when he burst onto the scene, because he became one of my favourite players in the NFL in that period.

4. In Spags' defense the outside linebackers are probably "least" important. He went to two super bowls with below average linebackers on the outside.We've been set for a while then. ;)

Caddy
08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
For what it's worth Caddy was impressive last season and exceptional in pass protection.

Beano
08-05-2011, 06:55 AM
For what it's worth Caddy was impressive last season and exceptional in pass protection.A friend of mine mentioned the same thing about his pass blocking, although he wasn't as complimentary on his running. Although to be fair, he did say he improved a lot once Blount took over the majority of the touches. Which is all good to know. If we allow Norwood to spell Jackson on 1st/2nd down if needed and allow Williams to just take the 3rd down duties or split them with Jackson it could work well.

But I'm still concerned we'll end up leaning too much on #39, if ever a back in the NFL needs some competent help, it's him.

NGSeiler
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd give the Rams a solid B+ for their free agency, though it's probably inaccurate to try and grade any personnel acquisition until we have a couple of seasons to look back and evaluate how those acquisitions translated onto the field.

That being said, the Rams added outstanding talent at key need positions at safety (Mikell) and right guard (Dahl). They've added solid starters at linebacker (Diles) and defensive tackle (Bannan). They've also added more depth on the defensive line (Muir) and a contender at wide receiver (Sims-Walker). And they've improved the depth at both the #2 (Williams) and #3 (Norwood) RB positions.

They haven't gone on a spending spree to get the biggest names, but they've added some solid guys who will fill holes. Only time will tell how well they've actually done, though.

NGSeiler
08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
If they work out, then I agree they're both upgrades. The problem I have with it is it's yet another if, and it should be a genuine concern that we're bringing in a 29 year old guy with a history of some terrible, terrible knee injuries and a guy who's had issues staying on the field pretty much every year he's been in the NFL. You wouldn't find many people happier if Williams found even some of the spark he had when he burst onto the scene, because he became one of my favourite players in the NFL in that period.

To spring-board off this point, it is interesting that the Rams are taking chances on a number of guys with injury histories. Diles, Norwood, Poppinga, Sims-Walker, and Harris all either missed significant time last year with injuries or played through them. Williams has a documented injury history.

It's as if the Rams were wheeling their cart through the grocery, picking up the damaged items because they thought they'd get a discount. ;)

NGSeiler
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Rams have added Ben Leber at linebacker. Between him, Diles, Diggs, Poppinga, and Vobora, two solid starters at OLB should emerge.

tfry
08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Rams have added Ben Leber at linebacker. Between him, Diles, Diggs, Poppinga, and Vobora, two solid starters at OLB should emerge.

I'm predicting Laurinitus, Diles, and Leber as starters with Poppinga and Vobora as quality depth.

We've really done a fabulous job this year in Free Agency.

stlouisfan37
08-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes I also feel much better about the LB position now that we brought in another guy. I don't know much about Leber, but from what I gather he should compete for a starting position here.

Did I read correctly the other day that Jerome Murphy is out for the season with a broken ankle? If that's the case I would really like to see us dig around and see if we can't come up with another corner. Suddenly we may be leaning a lot more heavily on Al Harris. To be quite honest, though, he seems to be the kind of guy who could step up and give us a hell of a year.

NGSeiler
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Reports of the Leber signing were premature, but he will be in St. Louis today so maybe something happens.

And yes, Murphy broke his ankle and will have surgery today I believe. Rams are deciding whether or not to put him on IR.

holt_bruce81
08-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Reports of the Leber signing were premature, but he will be in St. Louis today so maybe something happens.

And yes, Murphy broke his ankle and will have surgery today I believe. Rams are deciding whether or not to put him on IR.

Cornerback depth is very very thin right now, kind of scares me especially knowing Bartell and Fletcher have dealt with injuries in their past. Wouldn't mind them bringing in one or two guys. Doubt we have the money for it though, unless we do something drastic like cut Donnie Avery.

NGSeiler
08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Cornerback depth is very very thin right now, kind of scares me especially knowing Bartell and Fletcher have dealt with injuries in their past. Wouldn't mind them bringing in one or two guys. Doubt we have the money for it though, unless we do something drastic like cut Donnie Avery.

Yeah, a little. Al Harris and Justin King are back there, but that's about it. Maybe one of the young newcomers emerge, but I wouldn't be surprised if Quincy Butler or Kevin Dockery are on speed dial.

Beano
08-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Health and pressure could be the key.

I really like 3/4 of our starting DB's (Bartell, Fletcher and Mikkel). Hopefully whoever plays alongside Mikkel will be better than Dahl was last year, even if that just means Dahl playing better. But the depth at CB has concerned me, and it was why I wasn't that happy with the Harris pick up. I did and even more so now, believed we needed some decent depth at nickel. I'm not sure we have the answer on the roster right now, I did have a bit of a hope Murphy (thought he got better as the year went on) might make a bit of a step up, but that injury isn't great for that hope.

The front 4 could be the saving grace though, if Quinn can contribute straight away, Robbins, Long and Hall play at a similar level to last year, they could mask any issues we have at nickel/OLB coverage, which might be the biggest weakness on this defense right now.

SolidGold
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Health and pressure could be the key.

I really like 3/4 of our starting DB's (Bartell, Fletcher and Mikkel). Hopefully whoever plays alongside Mikkel will be better than Dahl was last year, even if that just means Dahl playing better. But the depth at CB has concerned me, and it was why I wasn't that happy with the Harris pick up. I did and even more so now, believed we needed some decent depth at nickel. I'm not sure we have the answer on the roster right now, I did have a bit of a hope Murphy (thought he got better as the year went on) might make a bit of a step up, but that injury isn't great for that hope.

The front 4 could be the saving grace though, if Quinn can contribute straight away, Robbins, Long and Hall play at a similar level to last year, they could mask any issues we have at nickel/OLB coverage, which might be the biggest weakness on this defense right now.

I think your front 4 will be good this year, just remembering how SPAGS used all sorts of weird fronts with his d-linemen in NY should be a good indicator that they plan on generating turn overs and pressure with the front four and not rely on coverage as much. I really like what the Rams did this offseason, they did not make the splashy signings but they addressed the weaknesses while keeping the core team together.

Beano
08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
So Leber in, Vobora out.

Little gutted about Vobora, always thought he played well enough to be given more of a chance to make that SLB position his own, I thought the way him and #55 played in '08 would have meant we'd be set for 2/3 LB for the foreseeable future, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Good luck to the guy, hope he gets the chance to play somewhere.

ArkyRamsFan
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
So Leber in, Vobora out.

Little gutted about Vobora, always thought he played well enough to be given more of a chance to make that SLB position his own, I thought the way him and #55 played in '08 would have meant we'd be set for 2/3 LB for the foreseeable future, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Good luck to the guy, hope he gets the chance to play somewhere.

Well said, my man, well said...

Bosanac01
08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Between Norwood and Cadillac, I think we should get through the season. Neither is electrifying.

Jerious Norwood is the most electrifying man alive. You guys should be very ecstatic to have him. He will impress the hell out of all of you and you'll be begging for him to get more reps.

I only hope he stays healthy for you guys to witness his awesomeness. Oh and he's also the most laid back and nicest person on the planet.

NGSeiler
08-13-2011, 10:49 PM
The Rams just finished mopping the turf with the Colts, so letís talk about some of the things we saw from the team!

-Sam Bradford looked solid, but doesn't yet seem to be as comfortable in this offense as he may say he is. He was staring down his receivers at times, and opted for safe underneath throws and checkdowns rather than throwing downfield. His 3.75 yards per attempt average is not going to get it done, but as he gets more comfortable with the offense, thatíll likely change and things will open up. It's easy to forget he's a second year player entering his first year in this system. He showed a good rapport with rookie tight end Lance Kendricks, who looked very good in his debut and converted on a number of third downs and scored a touchdown. He looks like heíll be a nice weapon this season for Sam, and will help open things up in the intermediate passing game.

-The receivers did not get much of an opportunity to separate themselves from one another today. Gibson and Amendola had three combined catches with the first unit, which were all on short routes. Austin Pettis had some balls thrown his way, but was generally well covered on the night, making it tough to complete the reception. Danario Alexander had some good and bad moments; the biggest play he may have stood out for was his failure to pull in a perfectly delivered TD pass in the back of the end zone. Mardy Gilyard looked elusive in the open field, both as a receiver and on punt returns. Mike Sims-Walker was noticeably absent from the box score, and I canít recall seeing him on the field. Itís possible he ran with the first unit and Sam just didn't look his way or he was well covered.

-The back-up running backs looked great tonight, and thatís partially because of the good work the Ramsí offensive line did to open holes for them. Cadillac Williams churned through defenders tonight (11 carries for 40 yards and a TD), and Jerious Norwood showed the turbo boost that made him an appealing signing. But the surprise among all of them was Keith Toston, who was still fighting hard for a roster spot. Toston ran hard and gained tough yards, leading the Rams with 64 yards and a touchdown of his own.

-The offensive line overall had a good night. To be balanced, it should be noted that the Colts were without Dwight Freeney and have been traditionally poor against the run. But having said that, Bradford was very well protected while he was on the field, and the line Ė first and second unit Ė opened up a number of holes tonight.

-Defensively, the Rams played very well. The rushing numbers are skewed a bit by the late-game heroics of Darren Evans (and the Ramsí failure to tackle him), but early in the game, there was not much running room for Colts runners. Defensive tackle Justin Bannan made his presence felt in the middle of the line, and Robert Quinn had a solid debut with some nice pressures and a great unblocked run stop. George Selvie flashed a little bit as well, but itís a bit odd that the Rams failed to register a sack against the Coltsí back-up quarterbacks. Perhaps Spags didnít completely unleash the hounds tonight, as heís saving their release for a more important contest.

-I didnít notice who got the start at WLB for the Rams; it looked like Diggs was starting at SLB. However, Poppinga made some plays later in the game that indicate he may be pushing for that job. Looked pretty solid against the run, at one point denying the Colts a first down conversion on a third down attempt. Diles saw time at OLB well into the game, so either heís down on the depth chart or is just getting all the work he can.

-One of the concerns on the team was at defensive back, where a number of cornerbacks were injured. Justin King looked like a liability on the outside at cornerback. He missed an open field tackle to allow a first down catch and run, and was beat deep down the sideline by what was admittedly an outstanding throw to Pierre Garcon. Atchison had some nice moments, but also bit on a QB scramble and allowed a receiver to get behind him for a touchdown. Dinkins made some plays but also got dinged up twice. Both starting safeties (Quintin Mikell and Craig Dahl) were in the right place at the right time and came down with some great interceptions; Jermale Hines climbed the ladder and got one of his own as well.

-Special teams looked very strong tonight. The Rams consistently covered well on both kicks and punts, and Mardy Gilyard did a nice job weaving through traffic on returns. He had a bobble in the endzone and fell once while fielding a punt, but otherwise showed some flashes that could go a long way towards keeping him around in 2011.

Overall, I think itís hard to ask for more in a first pre-season game coming off of a lockout. The Rams found the endzone, created turnovers, and were generally efficient. They did not make many mistakes, had some nice debuts from new players, and most importantly, came out of the game pretty healthy from the looks of it. This is obviously still a work in progress, but you have to like what you saw tonight. The line protected well, Bradford minimized mistakes while taking advantage of good field position, the depth at running back looks outstanding, the defensive line was active, and the defensive backfield made plays.

Great way to start the 2011 football year, Rams!!

Beano
08-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I only watched until it was 10-3, as the first pre season game is about as much use as tits on a boar, but if you'd have told me Pat Shurmur was still our offensive coordinator I'd have believed you.

Kehl started at WLB fwiw and I still have no faith in Dahl, apart from grabbing a fairly fortuitous Int, he still consistently finds himself chasing runners and making terrible angles to ball carriers. I agree with you about the CB's but then I expected it.

Bring on week 1, or at least pre season week 3 so we can see some extended time for the the starters and really get a handle on where we are.

gpngc
08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
What's the deal with Donnie Avery? Is he practicing? Working with the 2s?

NGSeiler
08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
What's the deal with Donnie Avery? Is he practicing? Working with the 2s?

Combination of being worked back in slowly after last year's season-ending injury and he's also been limited with a hamstring issue.

gpngc
08-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Combination of being worked back in slowly after last year's season-ending injury and he's also been limited with a hamstring issue.

Ugh. One of my keeper league teams was so bad I was considering keeping him at a cost of an 18th round pick. Screw that.

At least one of your WRs will be extremely valuable in fantasy. Josh McDaniels will do that.

Which one? You all tell me...

holt_bruce81
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I only watched until it was 10-3, as the first pre season game is about as much use as tits on a boar, but if you'd have told me Pat Shurmur was still our offensive coordinator I'd have believed you.

Kehl started at WLB fwiw and I still have no faith in Dahl, apart from grabbing a fairly fortuitous Int, he still consistently finds himself chasing runners and making terrible angles to ball carriers. I agree with you about the CB's but then I expected it.

Bring on week 1, or at least pre season week 3 so we can see some extended time for the the starters and really get a handle on where we are.

You really don't know what the preseason is about do you? Yeah lets open up the offense after two weeks of practicing. And after the starters left is when I became glued to the TV because that was when the real competition began, everyone fighting for a roster spot. The Final 53 is going to be a lot tougher than it's been in years past, Rams are actually going to have to cut some players that are decent nfl players and not just street guys. The Linebacker position really has me intrigued, if the Rams keep six linebackers someone will be cut we didn't expect.....The three I know will make the 53-man roster is Laurinities, Leber and chamberlain. The fourth one to make it is probably going to be Josh Hull, coaches rave about him and he's pretty much the only linebacker who has experience in the middle other than JL. So that leaves two spots or maybe three for Zac Diles, Brady Poppinga, Jabara Williams, Na'ill Diggs and Bryan Kehl.

Not sure why you don't like Craig Dahl, he is our best run stopper at the safety position. That's another battle to watch, Darian Stewart has really stepped up and looked pretty good out there last night. I'm just glad James Butler isn't starting anymore, now if Spags knows what's best, he would send Butler packing.

Beano
08-15-2011, 05:38 AM
You really don't know what the preseason is about do you? Yeah lets open up the offense after two weeks of practicing. And after the starters left is when I became glued to the TV because that was when the real competition began, everyone fighting for a roster spot. The Final 53 is going to be a lot tougher than it's been in years past, Rams are actually going to have to cut some players that are decent nfl players and not just street guys. The Linebacker position really has me intrigued, if the Rams keep six linebackers someone will be cut we didn't expect.....The three I know will make the 53-man roster is Laurinities, Leber and chamberlain. The fourth one to make it is probably going to be Josh Hull, coaches rave about him and he's pretty much the only linebacker who has experience in the middle other than JL. So that leaves two spots or maybe three for Zac Diles, Brady Poppinga, Jabara Williams, Na'ill Diggs and Bryan Kehl.

Not sure why you don't like Craig Dahl, he is our best run stopper at the safety position. That's another battle to watch, Darian Stewart has really stepped up and looked pretty good out there last night. I'm just glad James Butler isn't starting anymore, now if Spags knows what's best, he would send Butler packing.I'll ignore the cheapshot, because I'm too nice a person and move on.

I didn't expect the full offense with bells and whistles, I expected to see a flash, a spark, a single play, that was all. What we got was the same stuff that people slated Shurmur week in and week out for. Plus remember, this was all happening around 2 am on a choppy stream, it's real hard for me to be as enthusiastic about the struggles of the guys fighting for roster spots or those that are likely going to end up on ST in that situation. I am however, planning on watching, so I'll be able to enjoy the battles at a more reasonable hour soon though. The week 3 pre season game, I will be glued to, because generally that gives you more of an idea of what to expect.

As for Craig Dahl, I cannot agree at all. First, Mikkel is our best safety period. Anything a safety needs to do he's better at it than anyone else on our roster. Second, I don't even consider him good in run support, he consistently takes poor angles on runners (best examples I can think of was v Chiefs last year), he makes a lot of tackles, but he misses plenty as well (best example probably @ Seahawks last year, 4 in total that game I believe). I won't ever fault his effort, because he's clearly a trier, but when I watch him, I saw the same mistakes on those few plays I saw on Saturday, that he consistently made last year. Maybe with some real quality in Mikkel back there people will notice it more, but then again people still think Atogwe was a poor tackler, even though the stats say otherwise. So who knows.

holt_bruce81
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Atogwe was weak sauce in the run game. It was one of the main reasons the Rams decided to let him go.

Beano
08-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Atogwe averaged 1 miss tackle for near enough every 21 attempted, which was the 4th best ratio in the NFL in terms of defensive backs over the last 3 years.

If Atogwe is weak sauce, Dahl is water.

holt_bruce81
08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Atogwe averaged 1 miss tackle for near enough every 21 attempted, which was the 4th best ratio in the NFL in terms of defensive backs over the last 3 years.

If Atogwe is weak sauce, Dahl is water.

Where are you getting these stats from? I strongly disagree with them.

Beano
08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Where are you getting these stats from? I strongly disagree with them.Here. (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/21/missed-tackles-three-year-bests-and-worsts/)

It's probably the best stat site on the net for the NFL imo. Some good news and bad news on that article though, Bradley Fletcher comes out well, Chris Long, Ben Leber and Brady Poppinga not so much. DB's are the bottom of the page. In fact, that's me doing a disservice to Fletcher, he comes out very very well.

NGSeiler
08-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Some thoughts on the Rams’ pre-season win over the Tennessee Titans.

-The first team offense was stagnant aside from the opening play. Sam Bradford had to love the sight of Brandon Gibson streaking wide open down the middle of the field. 83-yard pass plays don’t get much better than that. Unfortunately, the rest of the game wasn’t as easy. Protection broke down, and no one made adjustments to blitzing defenders. Sam’s INT was tipped at the line before it reached Sims-Walker, suggesting there may not have been a clear throwing window. Feeley had an impressive touchdown pass to Donnie Avery but was rather quiet the rest of the night. Thaddeus Lewis played the hero by showing good poise and mobility leading the offense at the end of the game.

-Steven Jackson made his debut, and didn’t really show much. Some tough running with little room to go, but there was a clear difference in urgency when Cadillac Williams entered the game. Caddy definitely hit the holes with more downfield quickness. Neither Norwood nor Toston did much, there just wasn’t much room to run. Even on screen passes, the blocking was not well developed enough to take advantage. Blitz pick-up looked like an issue for the whole RB unit.

-It was nice to see some other Rams receivers get involved, even though it may only be in baby steps. Gibson and Amendola remained the two top targets. Mike Sims-Walker had an up and down night. A nice catch on an intermediate in route, but otherwise not much positive for him. Pettis did very little in the passing game. Near the end of the game, Salas made a boneheaded drop on a perfect pass by Lewis, but then came back to make some nice grabs. Kendricks was quiet tonight. Gilyard showed some nice elusiveness on special teams and on a late-game crossing route. He’s trying to make this team any way he can. Danario Alexander had a solid catch and run on a quick hit adjustment route, but did nothing else. Donnie Avery had a nice body catch on his touchdown reception, and had a nice WR screen that was called back due to penalty. Slowly some guys are getting involved, but the first team offense still leaned heavily on Gibson/Amendola.

-The offensive line, simply put, did not have a good night. Pass protection started off strong, but deteriorated quickly. Sam took a beating and limped off the field at one point, though he looked to be okay. The holes in the running game were just not there, and you can’t blame it all on Jacob Bell not being in the game. The Titans were not as easy to push around as the Colts, and the Rams struggled all night to control the line of scrimmage. Hank Fraley looked lost at left guard, but the Rams weren’t able to put Goldberg there due to him being needed elsewhere on the line. Renardo Foster was called for a personal foul penalty that negated DX’s catch and run.

-The defensive line seemed intent on matching the offensive line’s ineffectiveness. Tennessee had their way with all units of the defensive line, pushing them around, establishing a new line of scrimmage, creating big holes in the running game. There was little to no pressure on Matt Hasselbeck from the defensive line; the Rams’ only sack of the game came on an early James Laurinaitis blitz. So, this unit has a lot of film to watch after tonight. Robert Quinn, George Selvie, and Darell Scott had some solid plays later in the game, but nothing to drastically change the tone of the night for this crew, which was rather negative.

-With the DL getting pushed around, you would have liked to see the linebackers step up and fill the holes, preventing big gains. Well, that didn’t happen. James Laurinaitis looked pretty solid tonight, and Kehl had some good moments early, but the rest of the crew was rather spotty at best. The Titans gashed the Rams consistently with cutback runs on slant plays, and the Rams had little to no consistent backside containment. There are a lot of new bodies here, but none are really standing out. If anything, Poppinga is hustling so there’s that. Diles had a nice hit late in the game. To be continued on this unit, as there’s still some work to do.

-The defensive backs, what can you say. Hasselbeck was 7 for 9 before leaving the game, so he wasn’t having much trouble completing passes. The Rams struggled to cover the tight end tonight. There weren’t many positives that stood out. The defense tightened up once Tennessee got into the red zone, but the defensive backfield shared the front seven’s inconsistency. Quintin Mikell, Justin King, and Darian Stewart all whiffed on notable open field tackle opportunities. King later had some solid moments in run support, but he makes me nervous as a third corner. Dinkins was inconsistent as well. Jonathan Nelson had a few stand out moments towards the end and may earn himself a spot.

-Not much to say about the kicking game. The Rams’ special teams were solid all night long. Donnie Jones punted the ball well, the Rams covered fairly well, and the return game showed some flashes. Mardy Gilyard had some nice moments both in coverage and on returns. Josh Brown was Mr. Dependable on the game-winning field goal, even after being iced (preseason!).

If we’ve learned one thing, it’s probably that installing a new offense with limited offseason practices is going to take some time. They’re not always going to come as easy as Gibson being wide open by 20-yards in all directions. The Rams still looked hesitant to challenge the intermediate part of the field. They need to continue to work on their screen game, as those plays largely failed every time they were drawn up. The lines were challenged more tonight than against the Colts, and didn’t really come through. The run defense tonight was concerning to say the least.

But the Rams squeaked out a win because (1) their red zone defense kept forcing Tennessee to kick field goals and (2) Thaddeus Lewis marched the third stringers down the field in order to secure a winning field goal. This wasn’t the shellacking performance so many were excited about last week, but the feedback from this contest may be more valuable in helping the Rams prepare for the regular season.

Beano
08-21-2011, 04:25 PM
-The defensive backs, what can you say. Hasselbeck was 7 for 9 before leaving the game, so he wasnít having much trouble completing passes. The Rams struggled to cover the tight end tonight.I agree with a lot you said, I'm going to pull you up on this though. I've only watched the first half, but I can comment on the bit on bold. I believe his 2 incompletion's came when he threw at Fletcher, and the only pass you could maybe put on any of the DB's was a pass to the TE which the camera didn't get very well (around 7mins to play in the 2nd Q). It looked like we were playing zone, the LB's bit and there was nobody near him, think Stewart might have been the nearest DB to him. All the other completions were to the TE/RB/FB all covered by the LB's. Which doesn't surprise me, as I think I said I expect that to be a weakness all year. I was actually impressed with the coverage of Fletcher and Bartell (The Locker pass that he allowed to be completed was poor admittedly) generally, and it was a marked improvement over what we saw last week.

As I said, I only watched the first half, but 1's v 1's, we lost the trenches big time, which was concerning. The consistent over pursuing was a concern as well. Kehl annoyed me, he made a couple of nice plays and I started thinking "maybe he's the guy for WLB after all", then would follow it up with a play that left me wondering what the hell he was doing.

I'll watch the 2nd half during the week sometime, I wasn't one that came signing and dancing about the few positives of last week (dominating the trenches against the Colts is the norm, ask Manning), so the negatives of last night I'll take with similar apathy.

yodabear
08-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Um, yeah, not exactly as great as the first week. But we won, I don't really care how it happens. In the regular season, if we have more points than the other guys, I am happy. So pre-season won't be different. Saw and heard good things. Its nice to see a big play like that by our offense at the beginning of the game. Hopefully, we will be able to sustain things like that in the regular season as opposed to as NGSeiler said getting stagnent and not doing a whole heck of a lot outside of a few big plays. As far as the D and special teams, we only allowed 16 points. Yeah we allowed plays to the TE, but I think if we can fix that up, and we should be able to, we'll be just fine.

D-Unit
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't give up on Salas!

NGSeiler
08-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I was actually impressed with the coverage of Fletcher and Bartell (The Locker pass that he allowed to be completed was poor admittedly) generally, and it was a marked improvement over what we saw last week.

Fair enough.

As far as the D and special teams, we only allowed 16 points. Yeah we allowed plays to the TE, but I think if we can fix that up, and we should be able to, we'll be just fine.

That's a fair point. For as badly as the Rams were being slashed in the run game, their red zone defense really tightened up and played well.

holt_bruce81
08-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Don't give up on Salas!

He'll for sure make the team, probably as the 5th Receiver. He's looked a lot better than 3rd round pick Austin Pettis.

Beano
08-26-2011, 06:00 AM
He'll for sure make the team, probably as the 5th Receiver. He's looked a lot better than 3rd round pick Austin Pettis.Agreed.

Whilst it's tough to judge on such a small sample size, Pettis has probably been the biggest disappointment out of all the receivers likely to get a spot on the roster. He'll still make the roster, but I'd have him bottom of the depth chart unless he can pick it up over the next couple of weeks.

Beano
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
That first drive, the back to back penalties aside, was very good. Couple of nice throws and nice to see the line getting some push and Jackson attacking the holes again.

Defense time. That was equally enjoyable. Great play on the ball by Mikell followed by Hall getting the sack.

NGSeiler
08-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I was hopped up on cold medicine and groggily watched the first half, but overall I thought they were impressive on both sides of the ball. It was a nice adjustment after some of the miscues from last week.

ArkyRamsFan
08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Well it's official!! The Rams have just re-signed Mark Clayton. Now the question is what to do with him....Is his knee well enough to try to practice or is he going to visit the PUP list?

We'll know sooner rather than later...

NGSeiler
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
PUP list. I doubt he's healthy now; plus, it's a strange time to sign him if you aren't stashing him on PUP.

NGSeiler
09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
From Howard Balzer...

Rams cuts now official: CB Tim Atchison, WR Donnie Avery, TE Demarco Cosby, LB Zac Diles, CB Tae Evans, DT Marlon Favorite, T Renardo Foster, WR Mardy Gilyard, DT John Henderson, G Kevin Hughes, QB Thaddeus Lewis, WR Greg Mathews, T Ryan McKee, DT Daniel Muir, S Jonathan Nelson, G Quinn Ojinnaka, TE Fendi Onobun, RB Chase Reynolds, DE George Selvie, RB Keith Toston, WR Mark Clayton on reserve/PUP

Beano
09-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm not Avery's biggest fan, in fact with the amount of times I saw "missing Donnie Avery" mentioned about our offense last year, he's probably been overrated, but I'm surprised he's not made it.

I got a feeling Shurmur might take a chance on him though.

holt_bruce81
09-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm actually a big fan of Avery's and think he can be a good #2 Receiver. I remember his rookie year when we were garbage and he had Marc Bulger throwing to him he had a 4 or 5 game stretch where he looked awesome. Remember that game vs the patriots in his rookie season?

He looked good last year in preseason before he got hurt. I was thinking ok now he's got a Quarterback throwing him the ball and not some scared little girl doing it, we're gonna see what Averys got now.

Avery went unclaimed today so we are stuck with his $638,750 salary for this season and $1.095 million cap hit.

NGSeiler
09-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I would have kept Avery over Danario simply because I think Danario's chronic injury situation is worse than Avery's injury issues, giving Avery a better chance of actually being a consistent contributor. But the Rams seem to love them some DX, so I guess they're okay with draining his knee after every game and seeing if he can contribute on the field.

holt_bruce81
09-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Darius Butler cornerback was cut by the Patriots earlier today, would of been a nice pick up but he was picked up by the Panthers.

Beano
09-07-2011, 06:00 AM
I know there were a few rumours suggesting we might have been in a trade for Joselio Hanson, but since he's been cut I've been hoping we'd pick him up. He's generally been pretty solid as the Eagles nickel guy for the last few years and right now, in fact since the off season, the nickel situation has been a concern to me.

NGSeiler
09-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I've read the Rams are interested in Hanson, but it may come down to contract figures. But he would be a nice addition/upgrade at nickel cornerback.

ArkyRamsFan
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I've read the Rams are interested in Hanson, but it may come down to contract figures. But he would be a nice addition/upgrade at nickel cornerback.

Well, not anymore; news out of Philly is that J. Hanson has resigned for 2 years. Some are speculating that the Rams may be interested in Trevor Lindley, a cb from Kentucky and a 4th rounder from last year.

At any rate we've gotta hope that Justin King takes a major step forward or we could be hurting for corner depth....

holt_bruce81
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I wonder why the Rams haven't shown any interest in Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. He has good height and was a pretty physical corner coming out of college. Is on Dallas' practice squad right now as a safety but I think in Spags' system he could be successful as a corner.

NGSeiler
09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, not anymore; news out of Philly is that J. Hanson has resigned for 2 years. Some are speculating that the Rams may be interested in Trevor Lindley, a cb from Kentucky and a 4th rounder from last year.

At any rate we've gotta hope that Justin King takes a major step forward or we could be hurting for corner depth....

Ah, hadn't heard. That's a shame. I'm not particularly confident in King as a nickel option.

NGSeiler
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, that was ugly.

Beano
09-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Well, that was ugly.That's probably generous as well.

The performance was bad pretty much across the board (run blocking was good though), the injuries just make it worse. I know the talk is Almendola's is bad (dislocated elbow?) fingers crossed we haven't lost anyone else for too long though.

NGSeiler
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
X-ray on Bradford's finger was negative but there could be a nerve issue there. MRI scheduled for tomorrow.

No real update on Steven Jackson's injury besides it being a quad issue. He was reportedly pleading on the sidelines to go back in and was on the bike during the game.

Jason Smith is thought to have a high ankle sprain. If true, that one could linger for a couple of weeks. We might not be done with Adam Goldberg in the starting line-up after all.

Ron Bartell reportedly suffered a stinger. Doesn't sound too serious.

And Amendola's elbow is dislocated. Updates on it will be this week, but that one is probably going to be a while.

NGSeiler
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
John Clayton tweeted that Amendola is expected to miss 8-10 weeks.

holt_bruce81
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
John Clayton tweeted that Amendola is expected to miss 8-10 weeks.

Greg Salas needs to step it up now. I think he could be a very good slot receiver for us.

yodabear
09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't wanna make excuses and I hated it when people always went to this last year with their team, but Jackson was owning the Eagles run D with help from our offensive line. More explosive than Caddy and can be a home run hitter. I mean, Jackson was averaging 28 yards a carry when he left. He would not have continued that pace. However, he was amazing for his two plays, I would love to see that game with him back.

Beano
09-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Jason Smith is thought to have a high ankle sprain. If true, that one could linger for a couple of weeks. We might not be done with Adam Goldberg in the starting line-up after all. Goldberg had a fine '09 playing at RT, but has always struggled when he's been asked to move inside. Fingers crossed that he can step in as well this year as he did then.

Gutted about Almendola, I really hope Salas can step up to, he was the guy I was most excited about during the draft (in terms of offensive skill positions) and if yesterday is anything to go by, we're going to need someone to run those 2 yard drag/ins/outs/slants for us.

Re-watching this game during the week is going to feel like torture.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Any word on why Quinn was inactive?

NGSeiler
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Goldberg had a fine '09 playing at RT

He allowed a career high 7.25 sacks in 14 starts in 2009.

holt_bruce81
09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I cant believe Ron Bartell fractured his neck.

ArkyRamsFan
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Any word on why Quinn was inactive?

The scuttlebutt goes that Spags wanted Eugene Sims active because he can play STs and CJ Ah You because he can play in the DT spot on passing downs.

But, at any rate, I think against the Giants we need to activate Quinn and get some more speed on the field.

We gotta do all we can to get a win in NY

Beano
09-13-2011, 06:59 AM
He allowed a career high 7.25 sacks in 14 starts in 2009.0.25 of a sack, that's a new one to me.

On Quinn, I was surprised he wasn't dressed, but considering how much we seemed to struggle just rushing 3/4, I'll be amazed if we don't dress him for the Giants game on Monday night.

On Bartell, horrible injury. I'd sort of expected Almendola's injury, you could see on his face it was a bad one, then they mentioned during commentary about it being gruesome. Bartell's just didn't seem that bad in comparison. I was so worried about the health of our starting DB's, because as I've mentioned I think 3/4's of them are good. Now I imagine King will play in base and move to cover the slot in nickel/dime with Harris coming in on the outside? Either way I'm not sure any combination we have on the roster right now fills me with confidence.

This starting part of the schedule was brutal with a full strength roster. Ugh.

holt_bruce81
09-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Rumors are Amendola's injury isn't as severe as first thought and he could be back right after the bye (week 6) and he's actually lobbying with the coaches to get in the game Monday.

Glad we re-signed Tim Atchinson to be the teams fourth corner, he looked pretty good in preseason. I had him making the final 53 on my roster.

Beano
09-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Week 1, played **** and killed ourselves with some ******** mistakes.

Week 2, played well and killed ourselves with some ******** mistakes.

Progress. :p

There was some real positives about tonight though.

yodabear
09-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I've had time to cool down a bit. Sink my sorrows in some beef jerkey. Realize the Cards won and the Braves lost We played good, we played good enough to win, well our defense did. Way too many mistakes. Just way too many. From the muffed punt to the red zone failures to the pentalies. I was very proud of our defense. In my eyes, they gave up two touchdowns. The other two were the muffed punt and the lateral TD that Caddy gave up on. U don't wanna speak in these kind of generalities and all but u take away those, and its 16-14. And I liked our offense so much better than last I saw them in week 17 last year against Seattle. Sammy is defntly picking up better. We have to improve the red zone, thats that.

scottyboy
09-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Sam Bradford is really, really sexy

Rosebud
09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Sam Bradford is really, really sexy

He's like a not-quite-as-sexy or facial haired Spags.

Beano
09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
That might be the worst half of football I've seen the Rams play.

The first quarter was definitely one of the worst quarters I've ever seen.

******* ugly.

KCJ58
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
that game was really hard to watch, so many negatives, with out Ron Bartell, we are so f'd in the secondary, we need to draft a lock down CB, with our 1st pick

yodabear
09-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Week 1, played **** and killed ourselves with some ******** mistakes.

Week 2, played well and killed ourselves with some ******** mistakes.

Progress. :p

There was some real positives about tonight though.

And week 3 we just plain out played like **** and reminded people way too much of 2009.