PDA

View Full Version : Dontay Moch, DE / OLB, Nevada

Complex
02-19-2011, 09:11 PM
What are your thoughts on him?

SickwithIt1010
02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I think someone is gonna get a helluva steal in round 3 or 4....

...Might jump up into round 2 if he runs as fast as people are thinking he might.

thegreatone
02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Al Davis will take him with his first pick.

diabsoule
02-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Such a great pass rusher. He can be a beast in a 3-4 but has a ton of work to do as far as coverage. He flat out needs to be developed.

descendency
02-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Al Davis will take him with his first pick.

His "first pick" is the 49th overall, so that's not totally ridiculous to believe.

However, I wonder where everyone comes off thinking he's even a good pass rusher. I saw him against BC in the Emerald Nuts/Kraft "Feed People" Humanitarian Bowl and I wasn't impressed.

brasho
02-20-2011, 06:20 AM
His "first pick" is the 49th overall, so that's not totally ridiculous to believe.

However, I wonder where everyone comes off thinking he's even a good pass rusher. I saw him against BC in the Emerald Nuts/Kraft "Feed People" Humanitarian Bowl and I wasn't impressed.

You must've been watching the wrong guy then. They lined Moch up all over the place, even put him behind the NT in a 3-4 (and in those two plays he absolutely blew over and by the OG to get instant pressure on the QB). On one of the few times he went directly over Costanzo, he bullrushed him right into the lap of the QB where he reached out with his left hand and made contact with the QB (but got no sack). I thought he showed a tremendous ability to use leverage and generate power and push in addition to his fantastic speed.

At the East-West game, however, I really didn't think he played particularly well. Playing directly over the TE as the Sam in the 4-3, he repeatedly got pinned inside (as did LDE Ricky Elmore) by the TE and did not contain the outside run. I was very surprised by this as OGs and OTs were often not powerful enough to block him and a TE did it several times. He didn't look lost in coverage and made an outstanding tackle in the openfield (and showed great hustle and speed on the play) on a player (it may have been QB Ricky Dobbs... though it could have been an RB out of the backfield, I don't remember, it was in the left flat).

phlysac
02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't think people would think much of him if he didn't have the ridiculous 4.25 40 rumor. I don't see much from him other than athleticism. He needs to grow alot as a "football player". Just my $0.02.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't think people would think much of him if he didn't have the ridiculous 4.25 40 rumor. I don't see much from him other than athleticism. He needs to grow alot as a "football player". Just my $0.02.

I don't necessarily think that's true. He has some solid pass rushing moves some spins and rips, the thing I love about him is his burst to the ballcarrier is insane. I'm actually extremely interested in how he tests out in agility drills. For as great as his straight line speed and quick burst ability are, I question his lateral movement sideline to sideline. He doesn't appear to have great hips. He also needs to get a ton stronger. I wouldn't find it shocking though for a team in the 2nd round to take him as a project. Because of that burst I like him more than Aaron Maybin who simply just ran around people. That burst is something that will actually translate to the NFL level.

thegreatone
02-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Thats why I didn't say his first round pick, but that's still a reach imo.

J52
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
His speed is legitimate. Maybe not 4.25, but he is surely in a class of his own as far as straight line speed amongst DEs.

But, he is not explosive at all. Watching his game film, if he can't run by somebody, he is invisible. I don't think DE is his position, DE is a position where explosiveness wins, and he has none.

He's an interesting prospect, but if he has success, I think it will at another position. If he has any brain, he could be an interesting prospect as a downhill linebacker. He could redefine the notion of sideline to sideline MLB. But I don't see him having success in the NFL where OTs salivate over the thought of a DE who likes to run in circles.

RealityCheck
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
He'll run in the mid 4.5s and we'll all lose our boners.

brasho
02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
What's ridiculous is that people are downplaying him because of the alleged 4.25. It's the same thing with white RBs, black QBs, and now we have people that hate on prospects because they are allaged to run really fast. Whether you guys believe he can run or not is irrelevant... the guy's tape is very good. He is very strong for 229 and has a great burst and shows great power in hs bullrush.

PossibleCabbage
02-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I like him, but he's a project. I'm curious as to how much of his supposed great timed speed just comes down to the fact that he has really good technique in the 40 yard dash (kid was a state champion sprinter in high school). I think "proper technique" is definitely underrated in terms of how it affects a player's 40 time, which explains why it definitely doesn't necessarily translate to how a guy plays since nobody uses sprinting technique to run in a straight line in the NFL. But in the combine, bad or good technique can definitely turn a 4.4 guy in to a 4.5 guy or a 4.3 guy.

Still, Moch plays fast. Not always well, but fast.

Big_Pete
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
I think Moch is a decent developmental player. He is going to take time to adjust to linebacker as he learns the position - he needs to learn how to read plays, learn the various coverage schemes and develop instincts that will come with increased reps. He is probably going to need a red-shirt year, mostly playing special teams.

I am not entirely convinced Moch is a good option as a 3-4 OLB at this point, I think he is probably a little small and probably not physical enough at the moment.

Moch's best position may be as a 4-3 OLB (possibly WLB), but he may also need the right system to succeed as well as time to develop.

As far as speed goes, he is quick, but I don't expect a 4.25, I expect more of a low 4.4s (which is plenty fast enough).

cajuncorey
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
im trying to figure out why moch is not getting his respect. a linebacker with super production and super measurables is something teams want right?

PossibleCabbage
02-20-2011, 10:40 PM
im trying to figure out why moch is not getting his respect. a linebacker with super production and super measurables is something teams want right?

He triggers two classic reasons that people like to bag on prospects:
1) He's undersized.
2) He didn't play for a school people paid attention to.

If he was an inch taller and went to Tennessee, people would be all over him.

bigfreak314
02-20-2011, 10:59 PM

That's true but there has been reports he is not the best at taking on lead blocks or shifting through the trash to make a play on the ball carrier. I personally remember the Boise St game on Thursday night when he was an absolute terror off the edge, but there was no Ryan Clady type tackle playing against him either.

Big_Pete
02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
That's true but there has been reports he is not the best at taking on lead blocks or shifting through the trash to make a play on the ball carrier. I personally remember the Boise St game on Thursday night when he was an absolute terror off the edge, but there was no Ryan Clady type tackle playing against him either.

I think his ability to take on lead blocks is an issue (and hence why he isn't getting huge attention from 3-4 teams). The other factor is that he is going to take time to develop, he isn't going to be a short term starter.

The other factor is that this draft class is loaded with better 3-4.

I think Moch's best fit is as a 4-3 WLB with a team willing to let him develop behind the starters for a year or two.

A Perfect Score
02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I think his ability to take on lead blocks is an issue (and hence why he isn't getting huge attention from 3-4 teams). The other factor is that he is going to take time to develop, he isn't going to be a short term starter.

The other factor is that this draft class is loaded with better 3-4.

I think Moch's best fit is as a 4-3 WLB with a team willing to let him develop behind the starters for a year or two.

He might not start right away, but you can bet your ass he's going to be on the field in every passing situation in his rookie season, even if it's only to cut him loose and let him fly at the QB. There will never be a shortage of need for pass rushers in the NFL, and Moch has the tools to be a star in the right situation. I think you're right in saying that he may not start early, but he's damn sure going to be a contributor. I'd bet on that.

PossibleCabbage
02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Really, how many college linebackers are both a) really athletic and b) effective at taking on blocks? It's not exactly especially common. I think you're better off taking an athlete and teaching him how to take on blockers than trying to turn somebody into a better athlete than they've been over the first 20 or so years of their life.

DenverFan1974
02-21-2011, 01:49 AM
NEVADA grad/fan here . . .

Moch is a developmental player (especially at OLB) but from those I've spoken with in the NEVADA program, he runs a legit 4.2 - He did it at his Jr. Pro Day with two NFL team scouts on hand to witness it but word is that it was clocked by three different hand operated stop watches so we'll see what he does with a more accurate measurement. Does speed always translate? It doesn't hurt.

His production as a DE (albeit in the WAC) was record setting (most tackles for loss in the history of the WAC). He's smart, a hard worker and with the right team could become a star but he needs to learn the OLB position which is what he will be asked to play.

I say highest is mid-2nd if he blows the doors off the combine but probably a mid-late 3rd rounder.

But then again, from what I've been told, don't be surprised if he breaks the combine 40 record.

evenar
02-21-2011, 06:06 AM
The sky is the limit for a guy like this, his draft status will obviously depend on how he fares in the linebacker drills, both on his pro day, at the combine and at team visits. With his athletic ability he should see the field as a rookie, both as a situational pass rusher and as a special teamer. Combine that with his potential, and you can bet on a team taking a chance in the second round(unless he absolutely stink it up in linebacker drills...)

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2011, 06:37 AM
I think you're better off taking an athlete and teaching him how to take on blockers than trying to turn somebody into a better athlete than they've been over the first 20 or so years of their life.

Arguments on both sides, but Vernon Gholston screams against this.

LizardState
02-21-2011, 09:55 AM
I think someone is gonna get a helluva steal in round 3 or 4....

...Might jump up into round 2 if he runs as fast as people are thinking he might.

Hell yes the Raiders covet his scorching speed, others do too. Guy weighs 240 & ran a legit timed 4.25 40 at Reno.

When's the last time a non-RB or non-DB ran the fastest 40 at the Combine? Moch could be the next one. I watched the Nevada Wolfpack upset Cal last season & this guy was a one-man wrecking crew, Von Miller style game dominator at OLB, had 8.5 sacks & lots of TFLs last season.

Only the weak slate of WAC opponents faced by Nevada will keep Moch out of the 1st rd, but then again as mentioned Al Davis might look at that 40 time, & senile or not, could pull the Moch trigger & screw the pundits calling Overdrafting! on him.

Moch's draft status is #3 or 4 among OLBs now with a bullet, he's not a sleeper anymore. All eyes will be on him when he runs his 40 at Indy, if he blazes up the track there that draft stock will be skyrocketing.

phlysac
02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Arguments on both sides, but Vernon Gholston screams against this.

And Gholston is the player that Moch reminds me of. Not in a "similar type of player" way but both, I believe, are players that are loved for their physical traits and athletic ability and not for their football acumen.

bored of education
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Moch had some amazing A gap blitzes in the games I saw, he can rush the edge, come up the middle. I think he is a good rotational guy for a 3-4. He also would be a good SLB in the right scheme that asks him to attack the LOS from different angles.

DBNYDP
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Moch is a better football player than Gholston. Has great production. And he has good football IQ.

brasho
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I am not entirely convinced Moch is a good option as a 3-4 OLB at this point, I think he is probably a little small and probably not physical enough at the moment.

Physical enough? The guy played DE in college and regularly stunted into OC/OG double teams that he readily blew up. Dontay Moch is VERY physical. I seriously doubt you've ever watched him play if you're saying he isn't physical enough. Is he instinctive enough, can he set the edge as a 3-4, can he change directions well enough... those are legit questions about Moch... but to question his physicality is ridiculous.

Then you suggest he would fit better as a Will in a 4-3... I'm not saying he couldn't do it... but generally speaking you don't put a guy that hasn't dropped in coverage much or diagnose plays quickly and key blocks to be a Will. You need to watch this guy play. To suggest he do anything other than come forward and penetrate the line of scrimmage tells me you really haven't watched Dontay Moch play.

brasho
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
And Gholston is the player that Moch reminds me of. Not in a "similar type of player" way but both, I believe, are players that are loved for their physical traits and athletic ability and not for their football acumen.

Here's one huge difference, Moch's motor is ALWAYS running. Considering the position he played, considering his size (229, not 245), Moch is actually an overachiever. Even when Gholston was earning praise he was still an underachiever.