PDA

View Full Version : New Mock First Round with Explanations

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Hope some feedback and good ole fashioned criticisms....please be nice though :) People from locales that are knowledgeable of their teams please be most critical of them. I consider myself an expert when it comes to Pittsburgh and Cleveland football turnover ebcause of my exposure to them so I expect you to have the same unique knowledge. Look forward to comments.

Pick # Team` Player
1 Panthers Daquan Bowers
Explanation: This is the best player at a premium position. They have coach who develops his defensive scheme around pressuring the passer.

2 Broncos Nick Fairley
Explanation: This team's defense needs help EVERYWHERE. So they take the best player on their board on defense. The offense has weapons and I don’t think they'll let Bailey walk so they go with the BPA.

3 Bills Cam Newton
Explanation: Chan Gailey has a history with mobile quarterbacks, has a quarterback that he likes enough to start in Fitzpatrick so he can develop Newton, and this fan base needs some type of buzz.

4 Bengals Robert Quinn
Explanation: Top 5 Player ability-wise with questions regarding character….need I say more? AJ Green? Quarterback? Not until decisions are made will I put those positions here.

5 Cardinals Von Miller
Explanation: They run a 34 Defense and their best pass rushers are their downlinemen….no brainer.

6 Browns A.J. Green
They don't have a starting NFL caliber WR on this roster.

7 49ers Patrick Petersen
Nate Clements? Way past his prime and nothing else to write home about. Plus this man is a phenomenal talent whose floor is an excellent FS but ceiling is a shutdown corner.

8 Titans Blaine Gabbert
Do you really think Kerry Collins is their starting quarterback next year?

9 Cowboys Marcell Dareus
BPA and they know their defense has holes. This fills on of them. Not to mention great value.

10 Lions* Tyron Smith
See Matt Stafford's Injury History (although I think the world is WAY TOO HIGH on this guy)

11 Texans Prince Akumara
If they could stop anyone they could be super bowl contenders

12 Vikings Cameron Jordan
One of the harder picks to project because they need a quarterback but I imagine they want to inject some youth on defense and their other need positions on defense don’t warrant a pick this high.

13 Redskins* Jake Locker
Shannahan needs his guy. Big Armed Guy who struggled to win in college? Jay Cutler? John Elway?

14 Rams Julio Jones
Danario Alexander starter for them at WR this year after not being drafted last year…..and his name isnt Marques Colston, wait he was drafted….even if it was te 7th round.

15 Dolphins Aldon Smith
I don't buy the Mark Ingram to the Dolphins because they will resign one of those guys and they've got plenty of other positions they need help at. Sporano could not of liked what he saw from his defense so John Ireland (the hand picked GM by Bill Parcells) will get his pass rushing LB that Parcells so often drafted high.

16 Jaguars Ryan Kerrigan
DE is a huge problem. They have tried multiple times to remedy the situation. They hope Kerrigan ends this.

17 Patriots J.J. Watt
34 DE to replace the hole Seymour trade left.

18 Chargers Cameron Heyward
Did you watch their defense last year? The front seven will be addressed in some way. I love Heyward and I imagine that AJ Smith will too.

19 Giants Akem Ayers
I don’t know enough about Ayers to have a good opinion about him but I know they need LB help and he's the consensus best 43 OLB in this draft.

20 Buccaneers Mark Ingram
Legarrette Blount led rookies in rushing. Imagine if they had a better version of him with hands. Josh Freeman's weapon accumulation continues.

21 Cheifs Anthony Costanzo
Everyone thought they'd take Bulaga last year because he was an athletically limited tackle but a great technician…my guess? They didn’t think a potential right tackle was worth the selection. Here a right tackle may be worth it.

22 Colts Stephan Paea
Name the last impact DT this team has ever had. Don’t bother thinking about it. They finally realize this year they need to fix this hole long term. That being said, OT could just as easily be the pick

23 Eagles Nate Solder
Winston Justice sucks and Jason Peters is overrated. Hell replace one of them.

24 Steelers** Jimmy Smith
Trade up to deal with FA loss of Ike Taylor or even just give themselves a fighting chance against the Colts, Pats, Saints and Packers of the world.

25 Seahawks Adrian Clayborn
Their defensive line is just vanilla and lacks any type of talent. I don’t like Clayborn but everyone else does so I plug him in here

26 Ravens Brandon Harris
They failed to address corner in FA or the draft last year and got killed time and time again by the pass. I expect Ozzie Newsome to draft another player from the U to fix his problems.

27 Falcons Justin Houston
Dynamic pass rusher to either replace an aging injury riddled John Abraham or complement him.

28 Patriots Titus Young
They need a deep threat, they're known for reaching, and Jon Baldwin is a physical freak without any actual WR ball skills.

29 Bears Derrek Sherrod
Jay Cutler will appreciate this.

30 Jets Allen Bailey
Terrific Value + Terrific Upside + Mean Streak….that not enough? How about watching Rashard Mendenhall shread their defense in the playoffs? Ya they might want to address that.

31 Saints** Mikel Leshoure
Imagine what this team could've accomplished if Corey Ivy wasn't their main ball carrier for most of the year. Pierre Thomas can't stay healthy and he's a perfect fit as a guy whose a downhill runner with decent power. Can you say my fantasy RB sleeper next year?

32 Packers Aaron Williams
An undrafted WR turned CB was their nickelback. The'll want to improve upon that. Sam Shields made some great plays this year but not a guy who projects as a starter long-term to replace Charles Woodson.

prock
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Cam Jordan is a fine selection.

49erNation85
02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Freaking love that pick for SF!

coordinator0
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Harris is a good pick for the Ravens. I think he can project as a #1 CB in the NFL and that's what we need on the team. Houston would probably get a lot of attention as well, our pass-rush was probably worse than the secondary.

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
ya i thought of potentially putting houston with the saints instead of the trade but thought he may be a tad bit more undersized than they would like from a first round pick, based upon their prior pass rusher draft selections.

fed36
02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Not a big fan of Locker for the skins - what did we get for trading down by the way? I would rather take Aldon Smith in this scenario - and take my chances on a QB in the second

EstablishTheRun
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
The fans need a buzz is the reason the Bills take Newton? I think winning games would give them a bigger buzz...just saying.

coordinator0
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
ya i thought of potentially putting houston with the saints instead of the trade but thought he may be a tad bit more undersized than they would like from a first round pick, based upon their prior pass rusher draft selections.

If you're talking about Houston being undersized for the Ravens I don't think that's accurate. We don't really have a tendency for pass-rushers as far as I can tell, Houston is basically the same size as our current starters (Suggs and Johnson) and is even a bit bigger than the guy we drafted last year who was supposed to help us in this area (Kindle).

Razor
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
i don't like Titus Young for the Patriots, especially in the first. We already have that kind of receiver on our team. What we need is a big target for Brady 6'1"+ (this is huge in NE these days for a receiver) with speed to get down the field. That doesn't mean that we'll take Baldwin, however. Since all the best pass rusher are gone at #28 Derek Sherrod, Marcus Gilbert or maybe even Muhammad Wilkerson would be better picks.

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
If you're talking about Houston being undersized for the Ravens I don't think that's accurate. We don't really have a tendency for pass-rushers as far as I can tell, Houston is basically the same size as our current starters (Suggs and Johnson) and is even a bit bigger than the guy we drafted last year who was supposed to help us in this area (Kindle).

I was reffering to the Saints decision

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
i don't like Titus Young for the Patriots, especially in the first. We already have that kind of receiver on our team. What we need is a big target for Brady 6'1"+ (this is huge in NE these days for a receiver) with speed to get down the field. That doesn't mean that we'll take Baldwin, however. Since all the best pass rusher are gone at #28 Derek Sherrod, Marcus Gilbert or maybe even Muhammad Wilkerson would be better picks.

I think their roster lacks a guy who can blow the top of coverage. It really limited their ability to attack the Jets secondary. That was my rationale. Along with the belief that Jon Baldwin does not belong in the first round and as a Pitt fan dont believe he is a first round talent in regards specifically to his ball skills. The other guys are obviously fits in my mind, although I am not very knowledgeable with regards to Muhammed Wilkerson so I cant comment on him.

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
The fans need a buzz is the reason the Bills take Newton? I think winning games would give them a bigger buzz...just saying.

Ticket sales are imporant for them because of their attendance. Its one of two reasons I suggested though. Chan Gailey developed a lesser prospect in Kordell Stewart and made him good from time to time. Newton is superior in almost every way and would be a nice addition and face to their franchise, that needs something to be positive about.

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Not a big fan of Locker for the skins - what did we get for trading down by the way? I would rather take Aldon Smith in this scenario - and take my chances on a QB in the second

I am going on the information that Shannahan has an afinity for Locker and that at #10 does not represent good value. A trade down is consistent with both of those assessments, what they get exactly? I would refer you to the trade value picks, players will not be exchanged per the CBA. Something in the line of a 2nd or 3rd round pick, this year or next. Additionally, aside from Mallett and Enderle, none of the later picks are consistent with strong armed quarterbacks that Shannahan has drafted in the past. Choosing between them I think is an uneviable position in my mind.

Razor
02-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I think their roster lacks a guy who can blow the top of coverage. It really limited their ability to attack the Jets secondary. That was my rationale. Along with the belief that Jon Baldwin does not belong in the first round and as a Pitt fan dont believe he is a first round talent in regards specifically to his ball skills. The other guys are obviously fits in my mind, although I am not very knowledgeable with regards to Muhammed Wilkerson so I cant comment on him.

We have both Brandon Tate and Taylor Price who can really get down the field, but that's not the way we do business on offense any more. We need a big target for Brady, Titus Young is essentially just another Brandon Tate: 5'11" with great speed and questionable hands. Price "redshirted" his first year, but got a little playing time in the final RS game and had three catches. He looked like he was ready to go. What we don't have is a tall, explosive receiver. When we traded Moss that kind of just went out the window. I could see us trading up for Julio Jones if he's there at #11 or 12, but I think that it has to be the right receiver. Young is not the right receiver even though I like Young and his skill set.

JFINK11
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
We have both Brandon Tate and Taylor Price who can really get down the field, but that's not the way we do business on offense any more. We need a big target for Brady, Titus Young is essentially just another Brandon Tate: 5'11" with great speed and questionable hands. Price "redshirted" his first year, but got a little playing time in the final RS game and had three catches. He looked like he was ready to go. What we don't have is a tall, explosive receiver. When we traded Moss that kind of just went out the window. I could see us trading up for Julio Jones if he's there at #11 or 12, but I think that it has to be the right receiver. Young is not the right receiver even though I like Young and his skill set.

thanks for the critique, that will definatly affect my thought processes regarding their picks in the future. all very valid points.

A Perfect Score
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
It would be painful to see Jimmy Smith go 2 picks before us, but I suppose Brandon Harris wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Scotty D
02-21-2011, 12:31 AM
If the Lions trade up for Tyron Smith I may just seppuku myself on the steps of Ford Field.

T-RICH49
02-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Hate KC's pick.Justin Houton >>>>>>>>>>>>> any 1st round OT

ratiffshabang
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I can garuntee you the Bucs will not take a RB in the first round. Blount had a great rookie year, esp considering he didn't even play in all the games and wasn't a starter until the last few games. The Bucs are in desperate need of a DE that can get to the QB. Rb is not a need position. I am convinced DE will be our first round pick (taking the best one left on the board) unless a stud player just plummets down the draft like AJ Green or Petersen.

JFINK11
02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Bucs decisoin hardest for me to make in this mock but I honestly don't think that the Buccanneers can/would/or should trust Blount to be their RB of the future. They have very little invested in him and my opinion on that is firm until they try to resign him to a longer term deal (which most likely wont happen because of the CBA). That being said, even with that assessment they may still go the route you suggest. I am aware of their need at DE but I dont like Adrian Clayborn to them like the rest of the world so I threw something out there i figured I would get some feedback. Hoping someone else has another idea that isnt DE or OLB at this point. even though I acknowledge their need their. FYI Justin Houston might fit....

Trade up 2 picks or watch Matt Stafford holding a clipboard again? Minnesota is in front of them and OT could be their target.

I feel KC can find a pass rusher later in the draft. Scott Pioli historically hasnt drafted pass rushers early in the draft. DL? yes but OLB? for his 34 have usually be located in FA or mid round.

Matthew Jones
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think the Patriots will draft Titus Young. He'd be good here, but then again so would any reasonably talented wide receiver.

ratiffshabang
02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Bucs decisoin hardest for me to make in this mock but I honestly don't think that the Buccanneers can/would/or should trust Blount to be their RB of the future. They have very little invested in him and my opinion on that is firm until they try to resign him to a longer term deal (which most likely wont happen because of the CBA). That being said, even with that assessment they may still go the route you suggest. I am aware of their need at DE but I dont like Adrian Clayborn to them like the rest of the world so I threw something out there i figured I would get some feedback. Hoping someone else has another idea that isnt DE or OLB at this point. even though I acknowledge their need their. FYI Justin Houston might fit....

Trade up 2 picks or watch Matt Stafford holding a clipboard again? Minnesota is in front of them and OT could be their target.

I feel KC can find a pass rusher later in the draft. Scott Pioli historically hasnt drafted pass rushers early in the draft. DL? yes but OLB? for his 34 have usually be located in FA or mid round.

Blount is def our RB for the forseeable future. We do however need a change of pace back, but that wouldn't be addressed to later in the draft. Like i said before its a lock we are going to draft the best availible DE in the first unless an unbelievable talent drops down to 20. Its too big of a need to just pass on for Ingram. Its amazing we went 10-6 with the srubbs we had at the Ends. There isn't a legit End on the team, so it wouldn't surprise me to see us draft 2-3 DEs- much like we did last draft with McCoy and Price.

JFINK11
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Blount is def our RB for the forseeable future. We do however need a change of pace back, but that wouldn't be addressed to later in the draft. Like i said before its a lock we are going to draft the best availible DE in the first unless an unbelievable talent drops down to 20. Its too big of a need to just pass on for Ingram. Its amazing we went 10-6 with the srubbs we had at the Ends. There isn't a legit End on the team, so it wouldn't surprise me to see us draft 2-3 DEs- much like we did last draft with McCoy and Price.

You seem to obviously be a Bucs fan and probably more aware of their feelings based on local area reports but do you really think they wont be looking to add more talent and depth to the position at all? I understand your grievance towards a 1st round pick and the need for DE. Just wondering if you think they feel truly set at the position with Blount....I mean graham, ward, and williams are all on their last legs or hurt at all times it seems.

ratiffshabang
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
You seem to obviously be a Bucs fan and probably more aware of their feelings based on local area reports but do you really think they wont be looking to add more talent and depth to the position at all? I understand your grievance towards a 1st round pick and the need for DE. Just wondering if you think they feel truly set at the position with Blount....I mean graham, ward, and williams are all on their last legs or hurt at all times it seems.

I grew up in tampa and am an HUGE Bucs fan. However i live in NC, so i do my best to keep up with bucs info. LIke i said Blount is our guy, but i wouldn't surprised to see us take a flyer on a RB late in the draft. Derrick Ward was actually cut before the start of last season. I will reiterate that DE is our pick in the first, with LB, CB, OL being our next picks in no particular order- might take a look at a Saftey as well with the return of Tarnard Jackson being up in the air.

TheFinisher
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Seeing all these mocks with Dareus to Dallas makes me smile.

Brothgar
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
If the Lions trade up for Tyron Smith I may just seppuku myself on the steps of Ford Field.

Add to it that Prince Amukamara is on I would carry signs that says Hire Millen back.

CheeseKnuckles
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I like the Packers pick, but don't understand why Sam Shields isn't long-term stater worthy?

fed36
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I am going on the information that Shannahan has an afinity for Locker and that at #10 does not represent good value. A trade down is consistent with both of those assessments, what they get exactly? I would refer you to the trade value picks, players will not be exchanged per the CBA. Something in the line of a 2nd or 3rd round pick, this year or next. Additionally, aside from Mallett and Enderle, none of the later picks are consistent with strong armed quarterbacks that Shannahan has drafted in the past. Choosing between them I think is an uneviable position in my mind.

Well if it is next year's draft pick then i dislike this even more. If we trade down to get locker (which I still think is too high for him) I would only be happy if we got a draft pick in this draft. That is why I asked - because that makes a difference on whether someone likes the trade or not. Even if it is only for picks - you should list them so that we can see what you intended...not what we guess it will be according to the draft trade value chart

JFINK11
02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Well if it is next year's draft pick then i dislike this even more. If we trade down to get locker (which I still think is too high for him) I would only be happy if we got a draft pick in this draft. That is why I asked - because that makes a difference on whether someone likes the trade or not. Even if it is only for picks - you should list them so that we can see what you intended...not what we guess it will be according to the draft trade value chart

I was just saying that they would do it for fair value, whether it be a pick this year or next I dont think would make much difference to their front office so long as they received value for trading down worthy of it.

"Add to it that Prince Amukamara is on I would carry signs that says Hire Millen back."

Good point but I think they have to address Matt Stafford's blind side this draft. Hes one more surgery away from irrelevance and a sad sad story.

RealityCheck
02-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Love Watt, not so sure on Young, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

thebow305
02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I love Aldon, so I'd be ok with it, although it's not our biggest need.