PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple

JohnCandy
02-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I have seen Wilkerson climbing draft boards at a rocket pace.

All I know is that at 6'5" 305lbs. he looks like an elite athlete for the DT position.

What are the scouting reports on Wilkerson?

What is his best position?

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2009/10/30/PH2009103003681.jpg

Razor
02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I think he could play either 3-tech or 5-tech and be sucessful at that. Shane just mentioned him in his Under the Radar Before the Combine (http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2011/02/under-the-radar-before-the-combine/), but I am very much looking forward to Scott's scouting report on him. I still think he needs to add some strength, but his upside is just ridiculous.

bitonti
02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
His film is up and down. He's got amazing flashes and terrible moments against not so hot competition (MAC, army) being inflated into a late first rounder by the media but I live in Philly and first round is reachy. hes gonna have to work out like a beast to get there.

Caulibflower
02-20-2011, 11:26 PM
He shouldn't be drafted in the first round. If you're watching video of a guy playing about C-USA opponents and he's supposed to be a first-rounder, he needs to be blowing people up and getting consistent penetration, which Wilkerson doesn't appear to do.

draftguru151
02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
He shouldn't be drafted in the first round. If you're watching video of a guy playing about C-USA opponents and he's supposed to be a first-rounder, he needs to be blowing people up and getting consistent penetration, which Wilkerson doesn't appear to do.

He played in a 2 gap defense so that's not something you're gonna see no matter who it is. I'm not really buying first round but he did have a fairly productive year (9.5 sacks) and has tools to succeed, as well as playing in a ton of different spots at Temple (3-4 end, 4-3 DT and DE and might have played over the center in some passing situations too but I'm not 100% sure about that one). I'd say his best fit right now would be as a 3-4 end because of his experience there and his length and athleticism. Reminds me of Kendall Langford a fair amount.

SenorGato
02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
One of my favorite talents in this draft...0erfect for the Rex D. Only 3-4 DE prospects I like more are the Camerons....great frame for the position.

MidwestJimmy
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Wilkerson is a good prospect due to his knowledge of both the DT and 34E positions. At Temple he played tackle as a freshman and sophmore and as a junior he played the DT/34E combo spot (the same as Haloti Hgata does in Baltimore). I read a scouting report that says not only can he stop the run, he can also pass rush.

Caulibflower
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
He played in a 2 gap defense so that's not something you're gonna see no matter who it is. I'm not really buying first round but he did have a fairly productive year (9.5 sacks) and has tools to succeed, as well as playing in a ton of different spots at Temple (3-4 end, 4-3 DT and DE and might have played over the center in some passing situations too but I'm not 100% sure about that one). I'd say his best fit right now would be as a 3-4 end because of his experience there and his length and athleticism. Reminds me of Kendall Langford a fair amount.

He just doesn't look powerful enough to me. I mean, sure, he might put up the bench press numbers or whatever, but I see him getting stonewalled and held up by a single blocker pretty regularly. It's not like he's always double-teamed. And more than half of his sacks came in two games this year, those teams being Buffalo and Kent State...not exactly perennial winners. I dunno. Show me a clip of him really dominating a double-team, or even a single blocker, because I haven't seen it yet and at this point I don't think I'd spend a second rounder on him, much less a first. He passes the eyeball test with flying colors, but he's solidly in my "overrated" pile.

Big Bird
02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Wilkerson gets stood up because he simply plays too high. He needs to work on that a lot. Quickness and burst are nice and he has solid tools, but the guy is quite raw. Doesn't belong in the 1st.

CaneBang
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I believe it will take him 2-3 years to be get it, but he's got the ability to be a monster at the next level. People put too much basis on immediate production today, but Wilkerson will be one of those players that finds his niche (and a good one at that) a couple years from now and will be a valuable asset to a team as a 2nd round pick.

DBNYDP
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Raw. Great tools. Could be a stud in this league.

SenorGato
02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
I believe it will take him 2-3 years to be get it, but he's got the ability to be a monster at the next level. People put too much basis on immediate production today, but Wilkerson will be one of those players that finds his niche (and a good one at that) a couple years from now and will be a valuable asset to a team as a 2nd round pick.

That they do.

RealityCheck
02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Because DeMarcus Ware was God among mortal people at Troy, right?

DBNYDP
02-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Supposedly his sacks plus TFLs per game is the highest of any top 10 tackle this year. Better than Suh's or McCoy's. He plays for Temple so that obviously plays a role but it is still interesting.

Caulibflower
02-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Because DeMarcus Ware was God among mortal people at Troy, right?

Because Mohammed Wilkerson is DeMarcus Ware, right?

RealityCheck
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
No, you ain't getting it.

Ware was a solid player throughout his career in the Sun Belt and was a first round pick because of pre-draft workouts. Same thing happens with Wilkerson: small conference guy with an average career who skyrockets after workouts.

ElectricEye
02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think the film is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Inconsistent? Yeah. But bad? No. I was sort of low on Wilkerson coming into the process but the more I watch the more I'm finding things to like. I really need to sit back and take a bigger look at him and I'm interested to see how he works out, but first round isn't out of the question.

ellsy82
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't see him being athletic enough to be a 3-4 end. Looks like the perfect 4-3 defensive tackle to these eyes. Can play any interior spot. Stuff the run and collapse the pocket and look good doing it.

Duffman57
02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
I think honestly, and people are going to laugh at me for this, but he will go to SD with the 18th pick, and i'm not sure if i like, or dislike it as a Charger fan TBH. I think he's going to be really good in the pros, but i'm unsure if he's a mid 1st round pick worthy. But it just seems like too good of a classic "AJ" pick, where its a bit of a reach, for a high character guy, who fills the need of the biggest hole the past year and, although may not be the best athlete, he's still a great football player with that mentality.

Big_Pete
02-22-2011, 05:37 AM
I think honestly, and people are going to laugh at me for this, but he will go to SD with the 18th pick, and i'm not sure if i like, or dislike it as a Charger fan TBH. I think he's going to be really good in the pros, but i'm unsure if he's a mid 1st round pick worthy. But it just seems like too good of a classic "AJ" pick, where its a bit of a reach, for a high character guy, who fills the need of the biggest hole the past year and, although may not be the best athlete, he's still a great football player with that mentality.

I agree with you, I could easily see Wilkerson going at 18 to San Diego

cajuncorey
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
really like him as a 3 tech defensive tackle

SenorGato
02-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh btw...Wilkerson is #9:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bX0YhXoTCX4/TR-bKlFXKSI/AAAAAAAABF8/-5vUuqi1R2M/s1600/62109_434448802647_631097647_5179456_3973191_n.jpg

He's also from Linden, NJ...which is all of 3 towns away and a pretty fun place 3-4 years ago.

Guy has the frame to play his pro career at 6'5 315 or so which is ideal size for a 3-4 DL...

proshoota25
02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
would love the dude at 33 for the pats..... but like those above, i could see him going to SD at 18

brat316
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
They change numbers in their junior or senior years usually. Single digits are meant for the TUFF guys.

I personally think he would do great as a 4-3 UT. As a penetrating DT he is great. I don't know how great he would do as a 3-4 end where he would have to stay at home and not attack as much. Even though he is listed big, he doesn't look it, he is not going to eat up space. I thought he best part about him was playing DT and letting him attack and get through the garbage. He wasn't really told to stay put and hold the point of attack. He has a great first step and would blow by or between guys. Its hard to see much film of guys getting their hand on him and how we works them off. There are times he does peel off the blocks well, but other times not so much. Great athleticism would be a waste if not put in the right situation, attacking 3-4 end or UT.
Initially I thought he would go as high as the 3rd round, I guess he left since he thought might as well strike while the iron is hot.