PDA

View Full Version : BrownLeader Combine Mock

Brown Leader
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
*Post Combine Update*

Round 1

1 Carolina Panthers – Marcell Dareus DT Alabama*
Absolute toss up but the Panthers cannot miss with this pick. They admitted to about 7-8 players they’re looking at. Gabbert is a strong possibility and he apparently did well in interviews but I still see too much risk involved with him at #1. Newton was in play but reported struggles in some team interviews might send his stock crashing. DEs Bowers and Quinn rate about even with Dareus and Fairley but don’t fill the immediate need. DT as the #1 need and all prospects about even it would seem to come down to Fairley and Dareus. Not much has been said about Fairley skipping the bench but his strength could be a factor although Sapp illustrates how inconsequential the weight room is for success. Especially after shining physically and out impressing Fairley in interviews I’d say Dareus is the safest of the bunch and also fills the #1 need.
Prev: Cameron Newton QB Auburn*

2 Denver Broncos – Patrick Peterson S LSU*
Broncos come out from under the McDaniels era and desperately need to hit on their first round pick. Despite the positional value debate about taking a CB/S versus a dlineman, this draft’s defensive depth allows them to go bpa and still fill their needs later. Dawkins is a good bet not be back in 11’ and PP could take over at FS right away.
Prev: Da’Quan Bowers DE Clemson*

3 Buffalo Bills – Da’Quan Bowers DE Clemson*
Bowers measured 6’3 280 at the combine and will most certainly put on weight as he matures. It’s not been discussed too much but he’s versatile enough to play as a 34 DE as well as a 43 base end imo. In some ways I think he might be better suited to play in an odd front-he doesn’t have elite quickness off the edge but is stout, disengages pretty well and has impressive closing speed. The Bills use both fronts if I’m not mistaken and could move Bowers around and disguise him. Like the Broncos, the interior of the defense is the Bills biggest need. Fairley fits but his strength is not run defending or being stout at the poa and is probably a much lesser athlete than Bowers. Interest in Newton at #3 should dry up after meeting with him face to face and what Gailey called “see how much pro football he knows”-i.e. just how much of a project is this guy. Top 10 talent but probably too much of a project this high for GM Nix. Gabbert is a distinct possibility if the Bills are dead set about getting a new franchise QB but the FO did say they won’t reach for a QB. Imo A.J. Green would also make a good choice here but his admitted lack of preparation as his #1 weakness, which played out to a degree with a lackluster combine showing, might hurt his stock just a bit. He could turn out his pro day and again be considered a top 5 offensive talent but the defensive guys will probably dominate the top of the draft.
Prev: AJ Green WR Georgia*

4 Cincinnati Bengals - Nick Fairley DT Auburn*
Reports are that some teams have discussed acquiring Vince Young from the Titans-how much you want to bet that one of those teams are the Bengals? Their QB drama is going to be one of the most interesting off season stories but I see them looking at a vet rather than projects like Newton or Gabbert. The late season play of some of the Bengals young players-Dunlap-Johnson-Simpson-could afford them to go bpa rather than need. Fairley showed the fluidity of an elite DE in drills and demonstrated why he was the most dominate collegiate defensive player last season.
Prev: Patrick Peterson S LSU*

5 Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
Miller has pretty much cemented himself as a top 5 pick and shouldn’t go any lower than here to the Cards. I can’t see another young QB here-Skelton physically looks the part and once he learns to read defenses I think he’ll be a solid starter-he’s got a little Big Ben in him imo. Rumored interest in Bulger or McNabb would make sense –certainly need better vet insurance than DA.

6 Cleveland Browns – J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin*
I must agree with Kiper’s latest projection for the Browns. Watt is exactly the type of relentless, big, athletic DE/DT the Browns FO would covet. He’s versatile enough to play outside or inside and dominate in a 43 front. Fan choice would certainly be Green and I’m sure he’s off Kiper’s board in his mock by #6 but I agree with Wes Bunting that he’s not really an ideal fit for the WCO plus the Browns FO has come out in support of the team’s WRs citing the inconsistency at the QB position for their lack of production-enough of an excuse to pass on a WR in the first and take from the impressive crop of defensive line talent imo.
Prev: Nick Fairley DT Auburn*

7 San Francisco 49ers – Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri*
Niner’s fans rejoice! At last! an answer at the QB position…yeah. But truly I think it will be hard for Harbaugh to pass Big Blaine. Gabbert really shined athletically at the combine and more importantly in the interview room as well. Harbaugh is a QB teacher and ought to be able to coach up a talent like Gabbert to pro bowl caliber. QB is really the only thing holding the Niners back and if Gabbert is the talent that many are making him out to be they can’t pass. Alex Smith of all people knows the difficulties of transitioning from the college spread and could actually be a nice mentor for the new franchise guy, provided he knows he is no longer that guy.
Prev:Marcell Dareus NT Alabama*

8 Tennessee Titans – AJ Green WR Georgia*
With Gabbert off the board the Titans aren’t likely to reach for Newton-Locker-Mallett here and should be looking bpa. Outside of Britt and all pro Johnson the Titans don’t have much offensive punch. Green gives them a superstar line up at the skill positions and makes it easier to entice a coveted FA QB to town… or Kerry Collins.
Prev: Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri*

9 Dallas Cowboys – Tyron Smith OT USC*
Pass protection is the biggest weakness and Jerry cannot keep putting off this need. Smith showed up with the necessary size at the combine and should smash his pro day and be considered a lock top ten pick. He immediately fits into the right side and improves the protection, where he’s comfortable, but eventually would prompt Free to the RT and give the Boys bookends again….buy or sell?
Prev: J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin*

10 Washington Redskins – Robert Quinn OLB/DE UNC*
Unbelievably, Kyle Shanahan has gotten Grossman to look like a competent QB-still not a long term solution but decent enough to not have to make a desperate move in the first for a QB-the second round is a different matter. With the high flying offenses in the NFC East the Skins need a stronger pass rush to really compete. Due to the dearth of talent Quinn is a great value here for the Skins and gives them an elite rusher to pair with Orak.

11 Houston Texans – Aldon Smith OLB/DE Missouri*
As expected showed the ability to play in space as a hybrid end. Reminds me of a raw Justin Tuck. Texans could be tempted to add to the wealth with a guy like Julio but Smith is getting a lot of buzz at the moment as a potential top 10 pick so landing him here for the new defense looks right.

12 Minnesota Vikings – Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas*
Still can’t help liking Ryan Mallett. Imo he didn’t come anywhere near to bombing his media press conference-he was respectful and confident and showed the poise of a professional. In drills he demonstrated he’s the most gifted passer of this class, plus reportedly did well in team interviews. He’ll never be a fluid guy outside the pocket and will struggle in the red zone initially until he makes better reads but I still contend he’ll outshine some of his supposed safer peers…@Locker, @Gabbert. He just needs to give up the herb.

13 Detroit Lions – Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
Lions could also look at LB but Prince matches up as the best talent that also fills a need for them. Showed stiffness in his CB drills but should be a elite level press CB that fits well into Schwartz’s scheme.
Prev: Tyron Smith OT USC*

14 St. Louis Rams – Julio Jones WR Alabama*
Virtually a lock now if he is on the board which I still think he will be. Becomes Josh’s Brandon Marshall without the baggage…and hopefully not his St. Louis Damaryius.

15 Miami Dolphins – Jake Locker QB Washington
The Dolphins biggest needs are QB and RB at this point. A guy like Locker, if used creatively, might help out in both areas. New OC Daboll ran a solid offense for the Browns last season (no.. really) and had his most success with a mobile young guy taking snaps. He also devised and executed some of the most interesting plays in the league. But if the Dolphins FO is looking into the future they might roll with Henne and consider they’ll be in a position for Luck in 12’..but NFL FO never do that-/sarcasm. Sparano might become a lame duck HC very early next season and Jeff Fisher should be available in 12’ but for the 11’ season Locker seems a good fit. If the Dolphins had a second round pick to work with or the CBA wasn’t interfering with things I’d say they pass on Locker and hope to trade back up for him later but…

16 Jacksonville Jaguars – Cameron Newton QB Auburn*
Jaguars narrowly missed the playoffs with Garrard as their starting QB. Pretty amazing considering how awful this guy can be at times. This pick would be about GM Gene Smith and the future of the franchise. The Jags were rumored to be high on Tebow, in large part to reenergize the fanbase in Jacksonville,..enter Cam Newton. True, your looking at very different character types, but when it comes to drumming up interest, it really doesn’t matter whether positive or negative. The controversy and drama alone would draw people to find out about this guy and if he can become the leagues next icon. Either way, it would be hard to fault the Jags for trying. Considerable risk but there’s obviously a big need and Newton’s has the highest ceiling of any prospect in this class. Garrard could make a solid mentor and keep Cam on the bench all season.
Prev: Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

17 New England Patriots(f/OAK)- Ryan Kerrigan DE/OLB Purdue
Not sure what to make of the Pats recent signing of Stroud, who was cut by the Bills for being too pricey and not the greatest fit in the 34, but it’s no secret BB likes to stack positions so I could still see Jordan here. I’m also curious if the Pats plan to run more 43 fronts next season seeing as though they change up a lot anyhow. Kerrigan imo didn’t look too great in LB drills at the combine-twice looking as if he might fall over after turning and running. But he looks like the type that you shouldn’t bet against so I could see the Pats interest.
Prev:Cameron Jordan DE California

18 San Diego Chargers – Akeem Ayers LB UCLA*
I give the nod here to Ayers rather than Kerrigan because the Chargers greatest need is at inside LB. Ayers may not have shown the straight line speed some expected him to have but was really impressive in the drills, with his COD and fluidity in space at 250+ lbs. Chargers can play Ayers anywhere among the LB spots and disguise things.

19 New York Giants – Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
Giants might have their pick between Carimi, Solder and Costanzo. I’d say they go with Carimi who’s the best run blocker of the bunch and hasn’t been as exposed at LT as the other two so far this pre draft process.

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Cameron Jordan DE California
After looking like the most dominant prospect in Mobile, then performing better than expected at the combine at 287 lbs, Jordan has solidified a top 20 pick. Imo more suited for a 5 tech but has demonstrated this post season his ability to play in either scheme.

21 Kansas City Chiefs - Torrey Smith WR Maryland*
Pioli has no issues with taking his guy regardless of what the consensus draft boards look like. Smith is straight-linish at this point but has the ball skills and work ethic to improve his route running. High character gut with the ability to stretch the field for the games’ best rushing attack.

22 Indianapolis Colts – Nate Solder OT Colorado
If coach Metzelaars can make Charlie Johnson a competent LT he should make Solder an all pro. The injuries and declining line made Manning look human… for a few games.

23 Philadelphia Eagles – Anthony Costanzo OT Boston College
Eagles should be looking for a long term replacement on the right side in the first round. Costanzo should be a solid fit.

24 New Orleans Saints – Mark Ingram RB Alabama*
Throw out the 4.6 40, Ingram was one of the fastest to 10 yards at Indy. That statistic combined with his established ability to gain yards after contact still makes him a solid first round pick. Martez Wilson’s emergence could have them looking his way but Ingram is more a difference maker.

25 Seattle Seahawks – Mike Pouncey C Florida
The Hawks were undefeated last season when Lynch got over 20 carries or something like that so improving the running game is probably the top priority this off season. Pouncey is being compared to his brother by some top analysts.

26 Baltimore Ravens – Brandon Harris CB Miami*
Not as fast or long as Jimmy Smith but clearly showed better feet and fluidity at Indy and looked much bigger than his listed size. His demeanor was also telling at the combine-all business. Smith’s stiffness and red flags might drop him out the first. Besides Harris’ bad game against ND I’ve heard nothing but good about him whereas Smith was not considered the best CB on his own team at times.
Prev: Jimmy Smith CB Colorado

27 Atlanta Falcons – Justin Houston DE Georgia*
Falcons FO cited the need to add more speed/explosiveness this off season. Running a 4.6 40 at 270 lbs I think applies. As a stand up guy I think Houston would get exposed in space but I think he could be a mismatch as a quick undersized 43 end-Trent Cole style.

28 New England – Len Hankerson WR Miami
I get a sense from Hankerson that he’s driven to be a great player regardless of the perks that come along with playing in the NFL. Looks and plays bigger than his listed size and produced a great 40 time at Indy. Is reminding me more and more of Reggie Wayne and I think he’ll be a late first round pick in April.
Prev: Stefan Wisniewski C/OG Penn State

29 Chicago Bears – Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
Bears can’t afford to pass up a potential LT, especially not in a Martz offense.

30 New York Jets – Phil Taylor DE Colorado
I think Taylor would be a better fit in a 43 defense but his size and potential projects well to DE or NT in a 34 and the Jets will not pass.

31 Pittsburgh Steelers – Ben Ijalana OT Villanova
Oline has got to be the #1 priority and Ijalana could be a small school gem. Somewhat of a mystery now but I still see him getting coveted by a team like the Steelers. Jimmy Smith would also be a likely pick here but the draft has good depth at CB.

32 Green Bay Packers – Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh
Sheard performed like I expected him to but hasn’t generated much buzz as a hybrid guy yet-perhaps due to still not being 100% after coming back form injury. I didn’t get a chance to see him in drills at the combine but according to Mayock is a 43 end-still I see him climbing up draft boards eventually.

Round 2

33 New England Patriots(f/CAR) – Stefan Wisniewski C/OG Penn State
Prev: Len Hankerson WR Miami

34 Buffalo Bills – Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh*
Prev: Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple*

35 Denver Broncos – Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple*
Prev: Corey Liuget DT Illinois*

36 Cincinnati Bengals - Dan Watkins OG/T Baylor

37 Arizona Cardinals – Martez Wilson ILB Illinois*

38 Cleveland Browns – Greg Little WR North Carolina
Prev:Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

39 San Francisco 49ers – Jimmy Smith CB/S Colorado
Prev:Aaron Williams CB Texas*

40 Tennessee Titans – Corey Liuget DT Illinois*
Prev: Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh*

41 Dallas Cowboys– Rahim Moore FS UCLA
Prev: Brandon Harris CB Miami*

42 Washington Redskins - Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada

43 Houston Texans – Jarvis Jenkins NT Clemson

44 Minnesota - Aaron Williams CB/S Texas*
Prev: Rahim Moore FS UCLA

45 Detroit Lions – Mason Foster LB Washington
Prev:Quan Sturdivant OLB North Carolina

46 St. Louis Rams – Christian Ballard DT Iowa

47 Denver Broncos (F/MIA) – Quan Sturdivant OLB North Carolina
Prev: Mason Foster LB Washington

48 Jacksonville Jaguars – Titus Young WR Boise State

49 Oakland Raiders – Marcus Cannon OT TCU
Prev:John Moffit OG/C Wisconsin

50 San Diego Chargers – Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State

51 New York Giants – Stephen Paea DT Oregon

52 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame*
Prev:Marcus Cannon OT TCU

53 Kansas City Chiefs – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona

54 Indianapolis Colts – Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

55 Philadelphia Eagles – Curtis Brown CB Texas
Prev:Rock Carmichael CB Virginia Tech

56 New Orleans Saints – Bruce Carter LB North Carolina

57 Seattle Seahawks – Clint Boiling OG Georgia
Prev:Brandon Burton CB Utah*

58 Baltimore Ravens – Randall Cobb WR Kentucky*

59 Atlanta Falcons – Jordan Todman RB UConn*
Prev: Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame*

60 New England Patriots – Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas
Prev:James Carpenter OT Alabama

61 San Diego Chargers (F/NYJ) – Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

62 Chicago Bears – John Moffit OG/C Wisconsin
Prev:Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State

63 Pittsburgh Steelers – Ras I Dowling CB/FS Virginia

64 Green Bay Packers – Lawrence Guy DE Arizona State*

Round 3

65 Carolina Panthers – Jurrell Cassey DT USC*

66 Cincinnati Bengals – Tandon Doss WR Indiana*
Prev:Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois*

67 Denver Broncos – Brandon Burton CB Utah*
Prev:Curtis Brown Texas

68 Buffalo Bills – Christian Ponder QB Florida State

69 Arizona Cardinals – Will Rackley OG Lehigh
Prev:Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

70 Cleveland Browns – Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
Prev:Greg Little WR UNC

71 Dallas Cowboys – Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
Prev:Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh

72 New Orleans Saints (F/WAS) – Deunta Williams S North Carolina.
Prev: Deandre McDaniel S Clemson

73 Houston Texans – Marcus Gilchrist S Clemson
Prev: Deunta Williams S North Carolina.

74 New England Patriots (F/MINN) – James Carpenter OT Alabama
Prev: Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas

75 Detroit Lions – Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State
Prev:Nate Irving LB NC State

76 San Francisco 49ers – Chris Carter OLB Fresno State

77 Tennessee Titans – Colin McCarthy LB Miami
Prev:Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin

78 St. Louis Rams – DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma
Prev:Pernell McPhee DE Mississippi State

79 Miami Dolphins – Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois*
Prev:Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech*

80 Jacksonville Jaguars – Justin Rogers CB Richmond
Prev:Ahmad Black S Florida

81 Oakland Raiders – Robert Sands S Virginia*

82 San Diego – Ed Gates WR Abilene Christian
Prev:Vincent Brown WR San Diego State

83 New York Giants – Derrick Locke RB Kentucky

84 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ross Homan OLB Ohio State
Prev: Colin McCarthy LB Miami

85 Kansas City Chiefs - Kenrick Ellis NT Hampton

86 Indianapolis Colts – Terrell McClain DT USF
Prev:Will Rackley OG Lehigh

87 Philadelphia Eagles – Allen Bailey DT Miami

88 New Orleans Saints – Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh
Prev:Drake Nevis DT LSU

89 San Diego Chargers (F/SEA) – Devon House CB New Mexico State

90 Baltimore Ravens – Austin Pettis WR Boise State
Prev: Curtis Marsh CB Utah State

91 Atlanta Falcons – Luke Stocker TE Tennessee
Prev:Austin Pettis WR Boise State

92 New England Patriots – Shane Vereen RB California*

93 New York Jets - Dontay Moch OLB Nevada

94 Chicago Bears – Tyler Sash S Iowa*
Prev:Quinton Carter S Oklahoma

95 Pittsburgh Steelers – Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
Prev:Sione Fua NT Stanford

96 Green Bay Packers – Jerrel Jernigan WR Troy

Round 4

97 Carolina Panthers – D.J.Williams TE Arkansas

98 Seattle Seahawks (F/DEN) – Rock Carmichael CB Virginia Tech
Prev:Clint Boiling OG Georgia

99 Buffalo Bills – Steven Friday OLB Virginia Tech

100 Cincinnati Bengals – Quinton Carter S Oklahoma
Prev:Andy Dalton QB TCU

101 Cleveland Browns – Nate Irving LB NC State
Prev:Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh

102 Arizona Cardinals – Jah Reid OT UCF

103 Philadelphia Eagles (F/WAS) – K.J.Wright LB Mississippi State

104 Houston Texans – Vincent Brown WR San Diego State
Prev: Kendric Burney CB UNC

105 Minnesota Vikings – John Patrick CB Louisville
Prev:Shareece Wright CB USC

106 Detroit Lions – Deandre McDaniel S Clemson
Prev: Marcus Gilchrist S Clemson

107 San Francisco 49ers – Sione Fua NT Stanford
Prev:Tandon Doss WR Indiana*

108 Tennessee Titans – Greg Jones LB Michigan State

109 Dallas Cowboys – Jerrell Powe NT Mississippi

110 Miami Dolphins – Steve Schilling OG Michigan

111 St. Louis Rams – Mark Legree S Appalachian St.
Prev:Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

112 Oakland Raiders – Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State
Prev: Shareece Wright CB USC

113 Jacksonville Jaguars – Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
Prev:Jeremy Beal DE/LB Oklahoma

114 San Francisco 49ers (F/SD) – Jeron Johnson S Boise State.

115 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Orlando Franklin OT Miami

116 New York Giants – Chykie Brown CB Texas
Prev:Justin Rogers CB Richmond

117 Kansas City Chiefs – DeMarcus Love OG/T Arkansas

118 Indianapolis Colts – Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech*
Prev:DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma

119 Philadelphia Eagles – Scott Lutrus LB UConn
Prev:Lawrence Wilson OLB UConn

120 Jacksonville Jaguars (F/NO) – Casey Matthews LB Oregon

121 Buffalo Bills (F/SEA) – Jordan Cameron TE USC

122 Baltimore Ravens – Adrian Taylor DE Oklahoma

123 Atlanta Falcons – Greg Salas WR Hawaii
Prev:Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State

124 New England Patriots – Joe Lefeged S Rutgers
Prev:Tyler Sash S Iowa*

125 New York Jets – Richard Sherman CB Stanford
Prev:Jalil Brown CB Colorado

126 Chicago Bears – Marvin Austin DT UNC
Prev:Terrell McClain DT USF

127 Pittsburgh Steelers – Brandon Bair DE Oregon

128 Green Bay Packers – James Brewer OT Indiana

prock
02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I like reworking the secondary with Patrick and Moore, but I don't buy Mallet that high. I think I would rather see Jordan there...

coordinator0
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Jimmy Smith takes care of the major flaw in our secondary. He's a good first round pick for us.

Cobb is a nice pick in the second, he brings the much needed explosiveness at WR that we've lacked... forever.

I don't see the need to get two corners in the first three rounds. Depth will not be an issue for us. Greg Jones or even Moch (who I don't really like) would make more sense.

Taylor doesn't help the Ravens at all. We're set at depth along the DL, if we're going to draft a 5-technique it's going to be a guy that's a clear upgrade from Redding (aka likely a first round pick).

T-RICH49
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Torrey Smith - Great pick I am a huge fan of Smith's

Brooks Reed - another great pick addresses another need

Kendrick Ellis - 3 for 3 on KC picks so far

DeMarcus Love - another good pick

LOVE KC's draft overall

Chucky
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Good Bucs mock. Kerrigan in the 1st and Franklin in the 4th is awesome. Cannon is a solid pick in the 2nd but I think if Clayborn falls to their second rounder the Bucs will double up on DEs like they did last year with DTs. Clayborn can def play LDE and Kerrigan RDE in our system. Don't know much about Mccarthey but it fills a need

bigboiajhawk
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I am just wondering why you have the Steelers picking last?

To your Packers Picks:

Jabaal Sheard - I have never seen Sheard in Round 1, I guess you are projecting a combine blow up, but with with guys like Paea, Heward, Liuget, Wilkerson all available, I think we would go with a 3-4 DE.

Lawrence Guy - This pick is okay. I like Jurrell Casey more, but I could handle this

Jerell Jernigan - Really good pick at this spot

James Brewer - Hopefully kid turns into Saffold from last years draft, good pick

akvikefan89
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I like reworking the secondary with Patrick and Moore, but I don't buy Mallet that high. I think I would rather see Jordan there...

Agree with this. Cameron Jordan or Prince Amukamara.

Matthew Jones
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Good job with New England's draft. I could see New England going with Heyward or Wilkerson over Jordan, but I think you made the right pick and Jordan would be their first choice due to his 3-4 experience. I love Wisniewski but it's possible the Patriots will prefer Danny Watkins there. I would be hoping New England takes Leshoure over Carpenter but I could kind of see that pick as well. Nice third round picks. Overall I'd be very happy with that draft, with LeShoure at #60 it'd be almost perfect.

Bengals78
02-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Switch Williams with Leshoure and I am happy.

BaLLiN
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
83 New York Giants – Derrick Locke RB Kentucky

I know he has great burst, but is there anything else to him? Shane Vereen is a guy that does everything well, maybe nothing great. When the giants had Derrick Ward, who was a similar guy, we did very well. We need a guy who is dependable in all situations.

vidae
02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Like T-Rich said, great KC draft.

Brown Leader
02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
I know he has great burst, but is there anything else to him? Shane Vereen is a guy that does everything well, maybe nothing great. When the giants had Derrick Ward, who was a similar guy, we did very well. We need a guy who is dependable in all situations.

My thinking was the Giants need a homerun hitter out the backfield and Locke is a candidate to run the fastest time in Indy next week.

AkiliSmith
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Not a fan of Peterson to the Bengals. The Bengals have placed literally no value at safety since Marvin has been around. He would also be a downgrade to Joseph at corner. A pretty significant one IMO. Even without Joseph they still have Leon Hall, Adam "Pacman" Jones (who played really well in 2010), 2010 3rd round pick Brandon Ghee, Jonathan Wade and Morgan Trent.

The team has had 2 great corners for a few years and have done nothing with it. Cornerback is not why this team is perpetually average.

Give them Fairley (best player in the draft) or Quinn to give them a beast defensive line, which they haven't had since they were a good team in the 80s.

thebow305
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd be pretty happy with that Miami draft.

The only thing I would say is, if for some ridiculous reason Allen Bailey IS still there in the 3rd, we'd HAVE to take him, then I would get Kendall Hunter in the 4th. But I'd be happy either way. Locker is a nice talent at QB if he gets the right coaching, and Schilling would be a nice fit at LG for us.

Nice work.

jCut
02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Best Denver draft I've seen in awhile.

Seasonticketholder
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
GREAT SAINTS DRAFT!!! KUDOS!!!

1. Mark Ingram Perfect pick, helps offense and defense. I've been lobbying for this guy because I think he would go a long way to solve our running woes. I think the trio of Ingram, Reggie Bush and Chris Ivory could be deadly and would allow Drew Brees to exploit defense in the playaction pass game. On the other side of the ball, a strong running game extends drives and keeps the defense fresh.

2. Bruce Carter I think this guy is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. I am hoping it is the Saints. He's a first round talent IMO. Somehow, I would want the Saints to find a way to get Carter, Vilma and Jonathan Casillas on the field.

3a. Deandre McDaniel Another solid pick that fills a need. Even if Harper returns, and I expect that he will, this guy provides us with depth and another guy in the rotation. Quinton Carter would also likely draw consideration here but I am cool wtih the McDanield pick.

3b. Drake Nevis I see this as sort of the local pick. I'll be honest, of the four picks, this is my least favorite. I think Nevis is a very solid player, but with Sed Ellis already on board, we need more of a NT, that is, unless we sign Shaun Rogers or Barry Coefield. If we do, THIS IS A PERFECT PICK and great value for a player who could be used in the rotation. If we do not land a NT, then Sione Fua might more sense. I also like Kenrick Ellis a lot but he's already taken a few spots ahead.

49erNation85
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
You failed to draft SF a QB!Its going to happen in round 2/3.Round is alright pick since it would be nice to have a young stud opposite of J.Smith.

RealityCheck
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
OK Pats draft. Love the value on Acho and Sash.

proshoota25
02-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Good job with New England's draft. I could see New England going with Heyward or Wilkerson over Jordan, but I think you made the right pick and Jordan would be their first choice due to his 3-4 experience. I love Wisniewski but it's possible the Patriots will prefer Danny Watkins there. I would be hoping New England takes Leshoure over Carpenter but I could kind of see that pick as well. Nice third round picks. Overall I'd be very happy with that draft, with LeShoure at #60 it'd be almost perfect.

i agree here. nice job overall, alot of work

fenikz
02-23-2011, 02:29 AM
I like Stocker but I don't see us drafting a TE, a CB in the 3rd would be perfect, House or Marsh both fit the typical Cards CB mold(big fast and from a small school)

If we could get Martez Wilson in the 2nd I think we have to do it, while ILB isn't a weak point Lennon is getting old and Hayes hasn't been healthy in two years, a LB core of Miller Wilson Washington Schofield would be pretty crazy

Brown Leader
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
*Post combine Update*
Reasoning and previous pick in OP.

IMO Combine risers/fallers

RISERS:
CB Brandon Harris
DT Terrell McClain
DT Marcell Dareus
QB Jake Locker
CB Curtis Marsh
DB Marcus Gilchrist
LB Scott Lutrus
LB Ross Homan
CB Justin Rogers
RB Jordan Todman
RB Brandon Saine
WR Julio Jones
QB Blaine Gabbert
QB Ryan Mallett
TE Jordan Cameron
WR Greg Little

FALLERS:
CB Kendric Burney
LB Mark Herzlich
QB Tyrod Taylor
WR Vincent Brown
DE Pernell Mcphee
WR A.J. Green
S Ahmad Black
CB Aaron Williams
QB Cam Newton
CB Brandon Burton
DE Jeremy Beal

Hermstheman83
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
In the draft world we would call that a slam dunk/money draft for KC.

Babylon
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Seattle

Not a fan of Mike Pouncey, if he didnt have an all star brother and didnt play at Florida i think he'd be a 3rd round pick. At that point i'd probably go with Jon Baldwin or Stephen Paea.

Del1sle
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
The Cowboys don't have pick 41, they have 40 but I love the picks for them.

Whoever drafts Patrick Peterson won't switch him to safety, he's too good at corner, and you especially don't switch the #2 draft pick's position from day one.

wicket
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
GREAT SAINTS DRAFT!!! KUDOS!!!

1. Mark Ingram Perfect pick, helps offense and defense. I've been lobbying for this guy because I think he would go a long way to solve our running woes. I think the trio of Ingram, Reggie Bush and Chris Ivory could be deadly and would allow Drew Brees to exploit defense in the playaction pass game. On the other side of the ball, a strong running game extends drives and keeps the defense fresh.

2. Bruce Carter I think this guy is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. I am hoping it is the Saints. He's a first round talent IMO. Somehow, I would want the Saints to find a way to get Carter, Vilma and Jonathan Casillas on the field.

3a. Deandre McDaniel Another solid pick that fills a need. Even if Harper returns, and I expect that he will, this guy provides us with depth and another guy in the rotation. Quinton Carter would also likely draw consideration here but I am cool wtih the McDanield pick.

3b. Drake Nevis I see this as sort of the local pick. I'll be honest, of the four picks, this is my least favorite. I think Nevis is a very solid player, but with Sed Ellis already on board, we need more of a NT, that is, unless we sign Shaun Rogers or Barry Coefield. If we do, THIS IS A PERFECT PICK and great value for a player who could be used in the rotation. If we do not land a NT, then Sione Fua might more sense. I also like Kenrick Ellis a lot but he's already taken a few spots ahead.

TERRIBLE Saints mock

Ingram is the worst pick of the lot, he is a terrible fit and the saints dont need a running back, combine that with saints having value available at actual spots of need and this one is just terrible.

Bruce carter can be had later but I guess it is an acceptable pick

You changed McDaniel to Williams which is a true FS which is exactly where the saints dont even have a bit of a need. A SS is not a good idea but at least it can be explained, a pure FS is jsut terrible

Changing Nevis to Pinkston takes away the only pick I really liked

A good saints mock would be
1 Cam Heyward
2 Sam Acho
3a Greg Jones
3b Dontay Moch

indyfan1985
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Very good draft for the Colts! Getting either LT Solder or OG Pouncey in round 1 is fine by me.

Getting Clayborn at UT/DE is a great value in round 2, and is getting RB Ryan Williams in round 4.

fear the elf
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I just don't understand what other Browns fans are thinking. Yes our defense is atrocious, but for the first time since the franchise came back we have a legitimate chance of developing a good starting QB. So what does everyone want to do? Surround/protect him with the best possible playmakers to maximize his chances of success? No. Take a defender so we can make the 32nd rated defense the 30th and continue to wallow in ineptitude. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just don't understand the logic.

/rant

Unbiased
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Your explanation on Cam Newton for the Jaguars is misguided. Gene Smith was never interested in Tebow. All of the Tebow talk was generated by people who don't make the picks. Gene has said that marketability never crosses his mind with his picks.

coordinator0
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Ravens Picks:

26. Brandon Harris - I struggle with his fit on the team, but like the value (similar to my feelings on Heyward if he were there). My main concern with Harris to the Ravens is will he help us with the receivers that we struggle against? I don't think he has the length to cover the bigger #1 receivers in the league, AKA the guys who give us trouble. We don;t really have too much of a problem with smaller guys (outside of Holmes), but big receivers kill us because we don't have anybody to cover them. He looked pretty good at the combine, that's for sure, but he's still a 5'9 corner with average arm length and him being matched up on 6'2+ receivers scares me.

58. Randall Cobb - Again I like this pick, Cobb is a guy I think could play on the outside and bring the explosiveness we need.

90. Austin Pettis -We might be more likely to double up on receiver than corner, but I still don't see us doing so. Especially since we haven't addressed the pass-rush, which is still going to be one of the weakest parts of the team. I like Pettis' fit on the Ravens, but I just don't see us taking two receivers when we have as many needs as we do.

122. Adrain Taylor - Again, he adds NOTHING to this team. We don;t need depth at the position (having Kruger, Redding, Arthur Jones, and even Divens/McKinney who get played there all as depth). A wasted pick.

DiG
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
like the quinn pick. amukumura would be nice there too. hate kaepernick in the 2nd though. if we are going to draft a qb than its got to be first round face of the franchise or later rounds. we have too many needs to take a project player in the 2nd round. it doesnt fit shanahan or bruce allens draft style. aaron williams would be a great pick with his versatility to play cb and/or fs. brooks reed, ballard, or cam heyward would be nice fits also.

noondog
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd be in heaven if the Lions draft went down like that. Solid!!

Brown Leader
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Your explanation on Cam Newton for the Jaguars is misguided. Gene Smith was never interested in Tebow. All of the Tebow talk was generated by people who don't make the picks. Gene has said that marketability never crosses his mind with his picks.

Still a guy like Cam won't exactly hurt the fan rating. But anyways, ****** reasoning aside I take it your on board with Newton to the Jaguars?

Brown Leader
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I just don't understand what other Browns fans are thinking. Yes our defense is atrocious, but for the first time since the franchise came back we have a legitimate chance of developing a good starting QB. So what does everyone want to do? Surround/protect him with the best possible playmakers to maximize his chances of success? No. Take a defender so we can make the 32nd rated defense the 30th and continue to wallow in ineptitude. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just don't understand the logic.

/rant

I'm not sold on McCoy at all but I'd say the best approach would be to first give him one of the best Olines in the league to develop behind. I'd like to go out on a limb and say that Greg Little will be a more productive player than Green but that's too much of a stretch. I'll just say Little will be a better yac WR than Green which is better suited for the offense.

txparkes49x
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
No gabbert in the first. thats stupid we would draft Amukamara and draft Ponder in the second.

Brown Leader
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
The Cowboys don't have pick 41, they have 40 but I love the picks for them.

Whoever drafts Patrick Peterson won't switch him to safety, he's too good at corner, and you especially don't switch the #2 draft pick's position from day one.

Reading over that Peterson is Antrell Rolle (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45241&page=7) thread is funny but Deon Sanders essentially said the same thing. He felt at 219 lbs that PP would quickly get bigger and not be able to play CB or at least be better suited to play S. He also was critical of Peterson's fluidity in many of the drills. Mayock also stated that Peterson was not as good in off coverage as when he pressed due to his footwork.

Seasonticketholder
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
TERRIBLE Saints mock

Ingram is the worst pick of the lot, he is a terrible fit and the saints dont need a running back, combine that with saints having value available at actual spots of need and this one is just terrible.

Bruce carter can be had later but I guess it is an acceptable pick

You changed McDaniel to Williams which is a true FS which is exactly where the saints dont even have a bit of a need. A SS is not a good idea but at least it can be explained, a pure FS is jsut terrible

Changing Nevis to Pinkston takes away the only pick I really liked

A good saints mock would be
1 Cam Heyward
2 Sam Acho
3a Greg Jones
3b Dontay Moch

Please ignore this man. Ingram is a great pick and a great fit for the Saints.

I love the first two picks, obviously. Ingram and Carter would be ideal.

With the next two picks, however, I would make some changes. I know we signed Shaun Rogers but I would take Kenrick Ellis. He would be a great prospect to take and develop under Rogers. He would also give us some added beef in the interior rotation.

Where wicket and I will agree is on Moch. I think Moch would be a solid pick. I would also consider Quinton Carter and Greg Romeus there.

steelersfan2011
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Im not sure about ijala as a prospect

Dream Steelers Draft
1-Mike Pouncey OG
2-Marcus Cannon OT/OT
3-Johnny Patrick CB
4-Joe Lefeged S
5-Brandon Bair DE
6-Dion Lewis RB
7-Anthony Gray DT

wicket
03-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Please ignore this man. Ingram is a great pick and a great fit for the Saints.

I love the first two picks, obviously. Ingram and Carter would be ideal.

With the next two picks, however, I would make some changes. I know we signed Shaun Rogers but I would take Kenrick Ellis. He would be a great prospect to take and develop under Rogers. He would also give us some added beef in the interior rotation.

Where wicket and I will agree is on Moch. I think Moch would be a solid pick. I would also consider Quinton Carter and Greg Romeus there.

Ignore him, ingram would be a terrible pick, gutwrenchingly, punching babies bad

CJSchneider
03-03-2011, 05:09 AM
I will agree that Ingram in the first would be a poor choice for NO. Although we just signed Shuan Rogers to a 1 year deal, I don't see us passing on Paea in the first round. Carter in the 2nd is fine.

STsACE
03-03-2011, 06:23 AM

/rant

McCoy doesn't have the deep arm. He's very well suited for the WCO with his high accuracy within 15 yards.

We have 1 guy worth anything on our front line, Rubin. Other than that, we might as well use cardboard cutouts for the other 3. Even if we plan on using Roth and Benard as DE's, they're going through a position switch. Roth is looking as getting a new contract, so he may not even be worth keeping around if he wants PAID. We need D-Line in the worst way and with some top D-Line talent early in this draft, we need to capitalize on grabbing one or two of them.

I'd have no problem with taking a standout WR with our #6, but it's looking no CBA will prevent any type of FA pickups until well after the draft. If a new deal comes in and we can grab some good FA's for our line so we can concentrate on offense that's great. But with our needs, taking BPA at position of need trumps taking straight up BPA. I wouldn't be surprised if our first pick is traded to add more guys through the draft.

Poz51
03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
*Post Combine Update*

3 Buffalo Bills – Da’Quan Bowers DE Clemson*
It’s not been discussed too much but he’s versatile enough to play as a 34 DE as well as a 43 base end imo.

35 Buffalo Bills – Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh*
37 Arizona Cardinals – Martez Wilson ILB Illinois*
39 San Francisco 49ers – Jimmy Smith CB/S Colorado
42 Washington Redskins - Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
44 Minnesota - Aaron Williams CB/S Texas*
52 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame*
53 Kansas City Chiefs – Brooks Reed OLB Arizona
61 San Diego Chargers (F/NYJ) – Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

68 Buffalo Bills – Christian Ponder QB Florida State
74 New England Patriots (F/MINN) – James Carpenter OT Alabama
76 San Francisco 49ers – Chris Carter OLB Fresno State
89 San Diego Chargers (F/SEA) – Devon House CB New Mexico State
93 New York Jets - Dontay Moch OLB Nevada

99 Buffalo Bills – Steven Friday OLB Virginia Tech
105 Minnesota Vikings – John Patrick CB Louisville
117 Kansas City Chiefs – DeMarcus Love OG/T Arkansas

If you and the Bills front office believe Bowers can make that transition effectively, have no concerns about his knee, and Nix over looks his tendancy to take players with at least two years of starting experience, then it is a good pick. A nice write up on the pick.
In the second round... Baldwin fits the experience profile, but I dont think he'll fit the character profile, nor do I think this team needs a reciever in the draft at all. All the players listed fit value and need wise much better, although I am not high on Kaepernick at all.
Ponder in the third is interesting, not sure his arm is strong enough to win late in the season in Buffalo, and they like throwing the deep out, which Fitz does very well, but again I dont think Ponder has the arm for (Fitz puts a ton of effort into getting enough velocity into those throws). If you and they think he can do so, then its a good pick, if not the other players listed make more sense.
I like Friday in the fourth, not in love with him, in that he reminds me of Chris Ellis alot who we released 3(?) games into last season. Patrick would be an outstanding value pick, and I like Love's flexability at that point as well.
Overall I see where you are going with these picks, except Baldwin in the second, and IMO its a good mock. Interesting side note on Nix, he had his hand in the drafting of Brees (superbowl), Manning (superbowl), and the Rivers (best QB in the league to not win a superbowl?) trade. If the Bills do not pick a QB (which I am starting to lean towards), I think that would be very telling as to the ability of this class. All of those QB's also started for at least two years if not more from what I remember.
EDIT: Not that i think it matters but Buffalo as far as I know has the 34th pick of the draft.

MaybeDavis
03-03-2011, 08:01 AM
wrong draft order...

marshallb
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd be a big fan of Mallett there as I'm still very high on him. Aaron Williams would be ok there, but there would be no need to go with 2 corners unless you'd be moving Williams to S which would be so-so. I'd rather have Marcus Cannon in the second to help rebuild our once great OL. Patrick is so-so in the second, but I'd rather see a S there as S is a bigger need than CB.

Brown Leader
03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
^Well, going by what Mayock & co. said and how he looked in drills, I'm figuring Williams is looking more like a safety now then CB at the next level. And from what I'm hearing now about Patrick I don't think there's much chance he lasts until the 4th.

BallerT1215
03-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Awesome Bills draft - not high on Baldwin though

DisobeyCivility
03-05-2011, 01:19 AM
*Post Combine Update*

29 New York Jets Phil Taylor DE Colorado
I think Taylor would be a better fit in a 43 defense but his size and potential projects well to DE or NT in a 34 and the Jets will not pass.

LOLWAT?

Phil Taylor is a NT... from Baylor... and the Jets draft 30th, not 29th.

styles44
03-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Love the picks, just a few notes and personal preferences

13 Detroit Lions Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska Best case scenerio here short of Patrick Peterson falling in our laps. No brainer.

45 Detroit Lions Mason Foster LB Washington Another good pick, personally like Bruce Carter's upside better and would love to see him as the pick here but still, solid.

75 Detroit Lions Rodney Hudson OG/C Florida State Very very great pick here, love the depth he adds to the OL while adding a possible replacement for Peterman at RG should he fail to bounce back.

106 Detroit Lions Deandre McDaniel S Clemson This is the only pick that I totally do not agree with. While a good value, safety is not a need for us at this point in time. Spievay started to look like he was getting comfortable at the position towards the end of the year, we will give him a chance to retain that job and just signed Erik Coleman, a former starter for the Falcons, to compete with him. Greg Jones would a much better choice as the cupboard is pretty bare at LB.

Give me Carter for his long term potential at LB in the 2nd and Jones as the short term solution in the 4th and you, sir, will have made a friend for life. Kudos either way though.

Brown Leader
03-06-2011, 11:42 PM
LOLWAT?

Phil Taylor is a NT... from Baylor... and the Jets draft 30th, not 29th.

Order fixed. Watched a couple of his games this season. Taylor is alot like Shaun Rogers. Plays like a 3tech but has the size to be a NT so he 's projected there. That's not just my op-Wes Bunting said the same. Thanks for sharing though.

kalbears13
03-07-2011, 12:13 AM

/rant

I don't understand your logic...Having a 32nd ranked defense means you should probably try improving it. Maybe I'm crazy? I don't see your logic that you think we shouldn't improve the defense...

I really like Greg Little, even though 2nd round is pretty early. BrownLeader, you really like Little and Gilbert don't you? Because you just switched where they were taken.

TitansFTW
03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Liuget would be nice in the 2nd, but I would take Quinn over Green, the way the board is going.