PDA

View Full Version : Not Throwing at Combine vs NFL Success

contento
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/21/gabbert-wont-throw-at-combine-newton-undecided/

^This post from PFT got me thinking, is there a correlation between QB's that go to the combine and don't throw vs NFL success?

We all know how scripted and practiced team Pro Days are, anybody can look good throwing at one of those. The combine is a stressful televised and heavily-attended event...not ideal conditions for making perfect throws.

So I defer to the experts- Can you guys remember who in recent history(5-6 years) has opted out of throwing drills at the combine? And did they go on to suck in the NFL or not?

Chidi29
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd say that it's just a matter of correlation and not casutation.

With the natural high bust rate of QBs, you could probably come up with 20 other things busts had in common.

descendency
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/21/gabbert-wont-throw-at-combine-newton-undecided/

^This post from PFT got me thinking, is there a correlation between QB's that go to the combine and don't throw vs NFL success?

We all know how scripted and practiced team Pro Days are, anybody can look good throwing at one of those. The combine is a stressful televised and heavily-attended event...not ideal conditions for making perfect throws.

So I defer to the experts- Can you guys remember who in recent history(5-6 years) has opted out of throwing drills at the combine? And did they go on to suck in the NFL or not?

Sam Bradford did not - won rookie of the year.

Matthew Stafford did not - looked good when healthy.

BeerBaron
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Typically, QBs who are healthy and choose not to throw have a high enough stock to begin with that they'll still be taken high. Then it simply becomes the typical 50/50 rate by which highly drafted QBs turn out I'd figure.

the natural
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I think the reasoning is that the Combine is tough enough without a QB having to spend the time throwing to unfamiliar receivers in a strange setting. CAA who represent Gabbert don't seem to want their prize QBs to throw at the Combine. Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan didn't throw. But they had Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco throw, so I suppose they do it if they feel the guy has more to gain than lose.

Also gives the player an extra month or so to work on his mechanics. Gabbert has been working full time with Terry Shea since the beginning of January, and probably will continue to do so right up to the day of the draft. This way he gets to work mainly on his throwing from the Combine to Missouri's pro day on the 17th of March. Provided he does the other tests satisfactorily.

the natural
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Another reason for not throwing at the Combine is that it brings a lot more scouts out to the School Pro Day. The high end guys like Gabbert and Smith with Mizzou, or Newton and Fairley with Auburn can create a stage for some of their lesser known teammates. The more scouts the better for the other kids graduating from the program.

ellsy82
02-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't think its a gauge for any success at the NFL level. Simply a smart move if you're already considered a top 5 prospect before the combine.

Other positions, not so much. I think Suh solidified his #2 pick over McCoy by performing at the combine. If it wasn't obvious that Suh was the better prospect beforehand, it was surely obvious afterward.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Wasn't Alex Smith's practices in shorts the reason he was picked over Rodgers?

I wouldn't even watch them if I was a NFL team. Just watch game tape while he's out there and schedule an interview afterwards

the natural
02-22-2011, 12:34 AM
The thing is that Gabbert knew a long time ago that he wouldn't be throwing. I heard him mention it the first time in the week before the Super Bowl. So it must be policy for CAA, and I can't see them doing anything that would jeopardize their client's draft status and cut their agent fees drasticly. There has to be sound reasoning behind it.

PossibleCabbage
02-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Wasn't Alex Smith's practices in shorts the reason he was picked over Rodgers?

I wouldn't even watch them if I was a NFL team. Just watch game tape while he's out there and schedule an interview afterwards

I think the reason you want guys to throw at the combine is so you can check out their footwork. A lot of guys these days do primarily "catch, rock, throw" and three step drops out of the gun, and NFL teams want to see how they look on a five step and a seven step drop. If a guy never ran a five step drop from under center in college, you're not going to find out if he can do it by watching tape.

You can get that at a pro day too, but I think teams want to see them do it at the combine, where there's the most pressure.