PDA

View Full Version : Brady James - Replaceable?

UTPATS
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
This question came up in a discussion on one of the other Threads so I wanted to bring it up here since Free Agency is up in the air and draft talk pre-combine is a little slow...

So, I pose this question.. Is Bradie James 'replaceable?'

Everyone is replaceable, only because you have no other choice but to replace them if you want to field a team! What I mean here is, 'Will their impact be missed because their presence is no longer available?'

For example, IMO Darren Woodson was a guy who has proved to be irreplaceable. Yes, Roy Williams (S) was a decent player for a year or two, but his level of domination never even came close to Woody's. We still struggle with the safety position today!

Since 2003 the tackle totals for defensive players has varied according to the scheme they play in as well as the talent level around them.

In 2003 the top 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Keith Brooking - 126
Donnie Edwards - 122
Ray Lewis - 120
David Thornton - 112
Michael Barrow - 109
*Dat Nguyen - 89 (Dat was the leading tackler for the Cowboys this year)

In 2004 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Derrick Brooks - 109
Donnie Edwards - 104
Lance Briggs - 102
Keith Bullock - 100
Ray Lewis - 100
*Dat Nguyen - 75 (Dat again led the Cowboys in tackles)

In 2005 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Jonathan Vilma - 124
Donnie Edwards - 112
London Fletcher - 104
Zack Thomas - 104
Keith Bullock - 102
*Bradie James - 73 (Bradie led the Cowboys in tackles this year)

In 2006 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Demico Ryans - 125
Lance Briggs - 109
Antonio Pierce - 107
London Fletcher - 104
Zack Thomas - 103
*Bradie James - 64 (Bradie was actually 4th on the Cowboys in tackles this year)

In 2007 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Patrick Willis - 135
Jon Beason - 106
DJ Williams - 106
Nick Barnett - 102
London Fletcher - 100
*Bradie James - 64 (Bradie was 2nd on the team this year in tackles)

In 2008 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Jon Beason - 110
Patrick Willis - 109
Eric Weddle - 105
Barrett Rudd - 102
Yemarie Bell - 100
*Bradie James (Bradie led the Cowboys in tackles this year)

In 2009 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Patrick Willis - 114
Jon Beason - 111
Kirk Morrison - 109
Barrett Rudd - 107
James Laurinitas - 107
*Bradie James - 80 (Bradie once again led the Cowboys in tackles)

In 2010 the 5 tackle leaders in the NFL were as follows:
Jerod Mayo - 114
Stephen Tulloch - 111
Chad Greenway - 109
Paul Posluszny - 103
Ray Lewis - 102
*Bradie James - 81 (Bradie led the Cowboys in tackles last year as well)

After looking at this info it gives me the impression that Bradie has done a great job of being consistent, being healthy, and producing relatively well during his time here.

However, he is nowhere near the top of the list in tackles in any of his playing years here. Most of that has to do with the scheme and the way he has been used by Parcells, Phillips and now Garrett. But, there are arguably guys that come out each year who have the ability to put up that kind of production.

In conclusion, Bradie has served us well and will continue to for several more years to come, but to pass on a guy with some upside and potential strictly because James is 'irreplaceable,' is not a good enough excuse, and I think the evidence proves so.

Del1sle
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Bradie's leadership and consistency would be missed when he is replaced, however, he is replaceable.

J255979-11nine
02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Did you actually just use tackle stats to define a players productivity?

UTPATS
02-24-2011, 03:50 PM
At the LB position tackles are somewhat important... its like WR with catches, the more they have, the more often they are getting a chance to make a play. The more tackles a guy has, the more opportunities he has to force a fumble or tackle a guy in the backfield. Of course there are more categories to look at, I just wanted to look at a main category for the LB position.

E-Man
02-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I've actually wanted him upgraded for about three years now. He offers some leadership, but it's way overrated. He's decent at defending the run, but in coverage he is a big liability. I can see why you want to keep him to have consistency, but I don't think he offers enough to not look for a potential replacement if one is there.

D-Unit
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Been wanting him gone since Parcells decided to move to the 3-4.

leroyisgod
03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Draft Von Miller and move him to ILB and send James packing.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Draft Von Miller and move him to ILB and send James packing.

You left out the contingency plan about trading up for him lol. Plus I think he's an OLB anyway.

But calling Bradie replaceable is too harsh a word. His play isn't bad, it's actually pretty solid, he's a leader, gets guys in place, calls audibles, he's not a guy you just throw away without a legit replacement. We have bigger needs. Basically it's like this, we still have Columbo, Kosier, Alan Ball, Sensy, Spears as starters virtually, those guys are trash. How about we replace those positions and then worry about Bradie later.

If we found a guy like Nate Irving then great, groom him for a year or 2 and let him be ready. But I highly doubt we could just pull the plug on Bradie and be able to upgrade that position.

LizardState
03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Bradie's leadership and consistency would be missed when he is replaced, however, he is replaceable.

He regressed like the whole goddamned Cowboys defense, but he was still the best of a bad lot.

Sean Lee & Bowen were pleasant surprises though. I didn';t think anyone could be worse at tackling ballcarriers than Bobby Carpenter, but Scandrick was