PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Really Like the RB Class?

BuddyCHRIST
02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
The more I look at it, the more I think this could end up being a sleeper good RB class. I'm a fan of a number of the guys at the top, I think Ingram, Leshore, Murray, Williams could all end up being legit number 1 backs.

Then theres a group of 2nd type backs who I could see succeeding with Todman, Devine, Hunter (I see him as that atleast).

But then theres also a big group of mid/late round guys who I wouldn't be surprised to see develop into starters as well. The group of Jamie Harper, Daniel Thomas, Dion Lewis, Graig Cooper, Evans, Bradford, etc could be nice as well.

Even though theres no "elite" talents, the top has a number of talented guys and then there is some serious depth all the way through. These kinds of classes tend to end up being the best anyways.

GB12
02-23-2011, 01:58 AM
No. There are a couple guys I like, but overall I don't think this class is anything special.

proshoota25
02-23-2011, 02:03 AM
i will say i like a lot of the RBs in this class.... however, I only think that Ingram and Leshoure have the potential to be #1s. That being said, there are alot of intriguing 3rd down backs in the draft.

whatadai
02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
LESHOURE! But it looks like his stock is rising the quickest out of the RBs...I was hoping to steal him in fantasy drafts. *sighs*

nofalcons10
02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I like a few guys but i think that the majority of big names are overrated like thomas, murray, devine, and hunter.

my faves are:

leshoure
ingram
ryan williams
delone carter
alex green
dion lewis
keith payne
jamie harper

bilal powell
stevan ridley
mario fannin

I really like dion lewis and ryan williams and i can't shake the feeling that they both might turn out to be the best runners in this draft not named leshoure.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Who is this Ryan Matthews you speak of?

rawdawg
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, this is one of the most disappointing draft classes for RB in a few years.

jrdrylie
02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Who is this Ryan Matthews you speak of?

I guess since Ryan Mathews was so disappointing for the Chargers last year they have agrred to let him enter the draft again.

But in all seriousness, I bet he is talking about Ryan Williams. Personally, besides Ingram, who I think will be excellent, I'm a fan of DeMarco Murray and Taiwan Jones.

Preston
02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm a fan. I see a lot of mid-rounders that can come in and make impacts; Ryan Williams, Daniel Thomas, Jordan Todman, DeMarco Murray, Taiwan Jones, Kendall Hunter, Derrick Locke, Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, Bilal Powell, Da'Rel Scott, Dion Lewis and Roy Helu could all come in a make an impact rookie year. Meanwhile, I really do believe Leshoure and Ingram will become elite backs in this league.

rawdawg
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Ingram is the best RB in the class, but he's a good bet to be a good RB, but he doesn't project to be spectacular. I know the Emmitt Smith comparisons have dropped, but unless he has an OL like Emmitt's he will fall well short of that level (understatement).

This class doesn't have an elite talent like a Chris Johnson, CJ Spiller, or Darren McFadden.

wicket
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
i dislike this class tbh, it has depth but the best back is ingram and he to is a very limited prospect with good instincts but limited physical talent and a tough fit. the depth is good though, there are guys who can be found late on in the draft that still will be likely contributors

Hurricanes25
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
There are a bunch of mid rounders I like but it's very thin at the top.

thebow305
02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I really like this class a lot too. Within the first three rounds I think guys like Ingram, LeShoure, Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Thomas and Quizz Rodgers will all end up being at least solid running backs in the NFL, if not really good.

Guys in the later rounds that could also impress IMO will be Delone Carter, Dion Lewis, Anthony Allen, Allen Bradford, Damien Berry and Taiwan Jones.

Vikes99ej
02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Uhhhh, hell no. Lot's 3-5th round talent.

ericzedwards
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad this topic came up, because I was looking at this group of running backs the other day and realized that as a class, I LOVE them. No, there is no sure-fire, can't-miss premiere talent. And not many of them look very dynamic. But all I see is a BUNCH of solid, mid-round runners who can all find ways to contribute. There are a bunch of tough runners and a bunch of guys who seem to have low bust potential.

I really don't remember the last time there was this little separation between running backs 2 through 10. I have no idea what order they'll go in, and there honestly aren't many that I just absolutely wouldn't want on my team. Except Noel Devine, who I do not like at all.

princefielder28
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I like it but outside of Leshoure it doesn't have a guy that's worth spending a top 40/50 pick in, not even Ingram...i'm a big fan of Taiwan Jones and following him i'd gladly take Bilal Powell, Alex Green, and Jordan Todman

oldman9er
02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Not top heavy, but there are not a lot of teams that need a RB badly enough to make a RB selection in the first 2 rounds either.

*Mark Ingram ----------------- 5-10, 215 4.48 ------ Alabama (rd 1)
*Mikel LeShoure --------------- 5-11, 230 4.50 ------ Illinois (rd 2)
**Ryan Williams -------------- 5-10, 205 4.46 ------ Virginia Tech (rd 2)
DeMarco Murray --------------- 6-0, 215 4.50 ------- Oklahoma (rd 3)
*Shane Vereen ---------------- 5-10, 205 4.45 ------ California (rd 3)
Daniel Thomas ---------------- 6-1, 230 4.62 -------- Kansas State (rd 3)
Kendall Hunter ---------------- 5-8, 200 4.50 -------- Oklahoma State (rd 3)
Delone Carter ----------------- 5-9, 215 4.55 -------- Syracuse (rd 4)
*Jordan Todman -------------- 5-9, 190 4.45 -------- Connecticut (rd 4)
*Jacquizz Rodgers ------------- 5-7, 190 4.45 -------- Oregon State (rd 4)
Noel Devine ------------------- 5-8, 180 4.35 -------- West Virginia (rd 4)
*Jamie Harper ---------------- 5-11, 235 4.55 ------- Clemson (rd 5)
Stevan Ridley ----------------- 6-0, 223 4.60 --------- LSU (rd 5)
*Dion Lewis ------------------ 5-8, 195 4.45 --------- Pittsburgh (rd 5)
Roy Helu ---------------------- 6-0, 220 4.55 -------- Nebraska (rd 5)
Derrick Locke ------------------ 5-9, 190 4.35 -------- Kentucky (rd 5)
Bilal Powell -------------------- 5-11, 215 4.55 ------- Louisville (rd 6)
Anthony Allen ----------------- 6-0, 230 4.60 --------- Georgia Tech (rd 6)
Da'rel Scott -------------------- 5-10, 200 4.45 ------- Maryland (rd 6)
*Darren Evans ----------------- 6-0, 210 4.50 -------- Virginia Tech (rd 6)
Evan Royster ------------------ 6-0, 215 4.60 --------- Penn State (rd 7)
Allen Bradford ----------------- 5-11, 210 4.60 -------- Southern California (rd 7)
Brandon Saine ----------------- 5-11, 220 4.50 -------- Ohio State (rd 7)
Shaun Draughn ---------------- 6-0, 205 4.55 --------- North Carolina (rd 7)

(list may need some fine-tuning, as it's slightly old)

nepg
02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I love this RB class. There's a lot to like from every angle. If your team needs a RB, they'll get a keeper out of this draft.

The reason the RB class isn't top heavy is because we don't view RBs like that anymore. Back in the Brown/Benson/Cadillac draft, Ingram would have gone before all of those guys and Leshoure would be right there with him.

There are some super-talented RBs in this draft. We just look at RBs differently these days...especially with the potential 18-game schedule.

Grizzlegom
02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Personally, I feel like this class is the deepest we've seen in a while. Its not star-powered at the top but its deep from the 2nd round all the way through the end of the draft. Last year I only had 19 RBs as even 'draftable.' At this point, I have 27 guys with 'draftable' grades.

Personally, I think RB is the deepest position in this draft. One of only 2 positions that I feel will have REALLY good value after the 4th round (CB is the other one).

rawdawg
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
RB is deep only in the sense that you can find a RB anywhere in the draft (or after). Other than Ingram and Williams, I don't see any 3-down feature backs in this class. Granted, most teams don't use feature backs...but in the 3 years before 2010 (too early to tell) guys like Forte, Chris Johnson, Mendenhall, McFadden, Rice, Moreno, McCoy, Peterson, and Lynch have developed into legit featured backs. And that doesn't include guys like Ahmad Bradshaw, Hillis, Stewart, Charles, and Shonn Greene who have looked very capable of being featured backs if given the chance.

Grizzlegom
02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
But how many of those guys were really being hyped as feature backs when they came out? Johnson was speed/CoP on A LOT of people's boards. McCoy was too small and just a third down back. A lot of people thought Rice was overused in college and would amount to nothing. Hillis was a FB, Stewart and Greene were pure power backs. All of those guys are proof that the common perception of them turned out not to be reality.

I could see Ingram, LeShoure, Williams, Thomas, Carter, and Harper all turning into feature backs. Gotta believe at least one of the speed guys will probably prove they can carry the load full-time (looking at Todman, Hunter, Vereen, Quizz, and Jones here). And that's not even looking at a lot of the late round guys that I've seen a lot of people around here pumping up (Powell, Helu, Green, Bradford, Scott, and Cooper). I think with the sheer volume of guys likely to be drafted, I'd be surprised if 5 guys in this class didn't turn into 'feature' backs.

PossibleCabbage
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm not really a fan of it, but I can't honestly recall an RB class I was especially high on, so I think I'm biased.

rawdawg
02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
But how many of those guys were really being hyped as feature backs when they came out? Johnson was speed/CoP on A LOT of people's boards. McCoy was too small and just a third down back. A lot of people thought Rice was overused in college and would amount to nothing. Hillis was a FB, Stewart and Greene were pure power backs. All of those guys are proof that the common perception of them turned out not to be reality.

I could see Ingram, LeShoure, Williams, Thomas, Carter, and Harper all turning into feature backs. Gotta believe at least one of the speed guys will probably prove they can carry the load full-time (looking at Todman, Hunter, Vereen, Quizz, and Jones here). And that's not even looking at a lot of the late round guys that I've seen a lot of people around here pumping up (Powell, Helu, Green, Bradford, Scott, and Cooper). I think with the sheer volume of guys likely to be drafted, I'd be surprised if 5 guys in this class didn't turn into 'feature' backs.

Chris Johnson was a 1st round pick. I think Tennessee thought he was more than a CoP back. I also think Philly knew McCoy could be a feature guy in their pass-happy style of offense. Stewart and Greene were thought to be featured backs also. Stewart was a top 15 pick, even on a team that had a then potential feature back in Williams. I'll give you Rice and Hillis, but Rice was still picked high enough that the argument could go either way.

I agree that there may be 5 guys that are featured backs in this class, as there are a lot of backs that will be drafted/signed. But none of them will be that as quickly as the guys I named. And only Ingram and possibly LeShoure will have those type of expectations.

Zello
02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
It's basically two above-average, not elite, RBs (Ingram & LeShoure) with a bunch of scatbacks and rotational guys after them.

Serious, I don't care what kind of scout you are, you can't be excited by this class at all.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Chris Johnson was a 1st round pick. I think Tennessee thought he was more than a CoP back. I also think Philly knew McCoy could be a feature guy in their pass-happy style of offense. Stewart and Greene were thought to be featured backs also. Stewart was a top 15 pick, even on a team that had a then potential feature back in Williams. I'll give you Rice and Hillis, but Rice was still picked high enough that the argument could go either way.

I agree that there may be 5 guys that are featured backs in this class, as there are a lot of backs that will be drafted/signed. But none of them will be that as quickly as the guys I named. And only Ingram and possibly LeShoure will have those type of expectations.

I'll give you Stewart but I don't remember reading a single scouting report on CJ2K that thought he could be a featured back.

All in all though, the bolded is where its really at. Any of these guys could be feature backs if they are selected to a team that has a style that fits their skill set. A perfect example would be if the Redskins took Evan Royster late in the draft. Royster is considered by most to be a 3rd down back at best (around here most people think he won't succeed in any role) but he is a perfect fit for a ZBS and he could easily be a feature back in that Skins offense. I guess the biggest point I was trying to convey in my last post is that as the NFL is moving to more and more multi-back systems, these guys are getting pigeon-holed into one thing so now you have 'change of pace back' or '3rd down back' or 'power back' in every scouting report and its leading us to believe that no RBs have the skillset to be a feature back anymore while in reality, pretty much all of these guys have it, they just need to get into the right scheme/system and be given the opportunity (ok that can be said about just about any position but I feel like for RB its even more true as evidenced by so many RB 'busts' finding second life when they get traded/released).

gator3guy
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
As many have said; thin at the top but deep. A clusterf*** once you get past the top 4 or so. That said I'm sure we'll see a gem emerge down the road.

Tim Metcalfe
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I agree that there are a lot of guys that could be solid contributors in the future. Maybe not absolute studs but a lot of guys that could help a team from time to time and maybe do well in a starting role if given a chance. It seems there are always guys picked later that end up making big contributions and there are a lot of guys in this draft that could do that.

LizardState
02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I love this RB class. There's a lot to like from every angle. If your team needs a RB, they'll get a keeper out of this draft.

The reason the RB class isn't top heavy is because we don't view RBs like that anymore. Back in the Brown/Benson/Cadillac draft, Ingram would have gone before all of those guys and Leshoure would be right there with him.

There are some super-talented RBs in this draft. We just look at RBs differently these days...especially with the potential 18-game schedule.

Maybe b/c of the limited shelf life. The NFL goes thru RBs faster than any other position, also #1 for injuries.

You don't see a dominant RB who leads the league in rushing yr. after yr. as in the past. Who was the last rushing leader in back to back yrs, it's been awhile. Shaun Alexander in Seattle? Larry Johnson in KC? IDK

BuddyCHRIST
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
My point is theres generally a couple gems in the middle to late rounds that end up being big contributors, and this class is just stacked with guys who I could see doing that.

Anyways just because a guy doesn't look like a star on draft day doesn't mean he won't be one. Theres a great deal of talent in this class.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I like this class a lot. Perfect for today's NFL. Maybe not a plethora of stud, future top 5 backs, but guys that can be a change of pace, hit with the big play, catch the ball, etc.

DeMarco Murray has caught my eye in particular.

bearfan
02-26-2011, 12:40 AM
I just watched a highlight video of NIU RB Chad Spann, and was very impressed. I understand that it is only a highlight video, but his career average is over 5.0ypc and in the past two years has 41TDs on less than 500 touches. As a probable late round/UDFA, I think this guy could be worth a shot.

Here is the video in case anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7G2Oocg

Caulibflower
02-26-2011, 02:09 AM
I just watched a highlight video of NIU RB Chad Spann, and was very impressed. I understand that it is only a highlight video, but his career average is over 5.0ypc and in the past two years has 41TDs on less than 500 touches. As a probable late round/UDFA, I think this guy could be worth a shot.

Here is the video in case anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7G2Oocg

Wow. I'm impressed, too. The guy's YAC is incredible; he just doesn't accept being tackled. I didn't like seeing him get caught from behind those few times, but he makes up for it with all the tackles he breaks. Small but looks really powerful.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
John Clay is an enigma too. In the Rose Bowl, the guy looked FAT, had to be around 270 pounds, but still played well and showed quickness. Apparently he is down to 231 and looks good, so I'll really be interested to see how he runs. If he keeps his weight in check he could be a real steal for someone in the later rounds.