PDA

View Full Version : TACKLE, the Creator

TACKLE
02-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Just wanted to get one in before the combine. I was just gonna give a brief one or two sentence explanation but I kind of got carried away. Oh well. Still don't love how it turned out but I just had to work out a few ideas in my head.

1. Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

When all the dust settles and April 28th rolls around, I very much expect this to be the pick. Owner Jerry Richardson is a very conservative guy when it comes to take risk on players with character questions. With that being said, they'll have ample information to make this decision upon and at the end of the day, drafting a franchise QB trumps all.

2. Denver Broncos - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Something to consider: in 2002 John Fox was named head coach of the Carolina Panthers and drafted a young DE by the name of Julius Peppers with his first pick who became the cornerstone of that franchise. Fox has always put a premium on defensive line, especially defensive end and Bowers seems like a great fit for Fox. Fairley, Peterson and Dareus are the other options. I don't see Fairley being the pick right now. Dareus is more of an option than people realize but I think they'll pass. The re-signing of Champ Bailey doesn't change anything with Peterson imo but in the end, pass rusher value trumps CB value in the draft every time.

3. Buffalo Bills - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Bills are notoriously unpredictable so this is one of the tougher picks to make. A lot of different players in play here. We know they like Fitzpatrick but to what degree we still don't know. Part of me thinks Gailey is a guy who thinks that he can get lesser QB's to run his system though if they feel they could upgrade the quarterback position with this pick, its going to be hard not to. Gabbert's stock may come back down to earth but for now I see them over-drafting for a franchise QB.

4. Cincinnati - AJ Green, WR, Georgia

They gotta go WR here. AJ Green is an easy pick here. Though don't sleep on Julio Jones. I get the feeling that come draft day, there may be more than one team with Julio higher on the board. Who knows, maybe Cincy will be one of them.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

Pass rusher is a big need so Von Miller will be very much in play but I just don't see how they can pass up on the value that Peterson offers. CB opposite of DRC is a huge hole. By drafting PP, the Cardinals would instantly have not only the biggest secondary in the NFL, but one of the most athletic.

6. Cleveland Browns - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

That front seven is atrocious and is in no way ready for the transition to the 4-3. Julio Jones is an option but getting the right personnel for their 4-3 has to be their top priority. Pick comes down to Fairley or Dareus. Fairley offers a bit more of a pass rusher which gives him the edge here.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

No QB worth taking here and I think Harbaugh will feel he can make Smith work in his offense for the time being. I still don't love Miller in the 3-4 but that doesn't mean NFL team won't. By bringing Miller in, they really have the makings of a nice young LB core. Miller's stock is soaring now. But with a strong combine that's expected, Quinn may very well pass Quinn as the most coveted 3-4 OLB prospect. For the time being I'm sticking with Von.

8. Tennessee Titans - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Were hoping a QB or a Nick Fairley fell, but they should be happy to land Dareus. Robert Quinn was an option but I feel they are pretty set at DE for the time being. Dareus could help bring that d-line back to prominence by solidifying that DT position.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

Cowboys are in a tough spot and it would make a lot of sense for them to entertain offers of teams who want to trade up. Robert Quinn was the other consideration and he is still very much in the running. If its BPA, than Quinn is the pick but we'll see how much faith they have in Spencer to grow as a pass rusher. Jimmy Smith may be a bit high but his stock has been steadily rising and it should continue after an impressive combine showing. It appears as if his stock and Prince's stock may be headed in the opposite directions. I think Prince is much more of a candidate to make the move to FS ala Antrel Rolle and Malcolm Jenkins. But finding a talented upgrade at CB has to be among their top priorities. Again, this is a projected combine performance but if Smith can come in at 6'1 207, run in the 4.4's and show fluidity in the drills, he's going become a very appealing option for team earlier in the draft. This pick is still a toss up between Quinn and Smith.

10. Washington Redskins - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

This was almost a coin flip between Watt and Julio. Personally, I think very highly of both players. But its hard to pass up on the opportunity to bring in a high impact five tech. Shanahan has typically passed on WR's early. This year's draft class is very strong at WR but takes a sharp drop off in 5-techs after the first round and half. Watt has the ability to be the most disruptive player in the draft and I love the idea of him and Carriker on the same D-Line with Rak coming off the edge.

11. Houston Texans - Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina

Sure Prince is an option but bringing in a pass rusher for their new 3-4 defense has to be a top priority. Quinn should display his elite physical talent at the combine and he may be long gone by this point. I still don't know if he falls this far – just no where else earlier I am sold on the fit.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

It looks like Ray Edwards may be gone but so might Sidney Rice. Julio Jones is the BPA and could potentially address a big area of need.

13. Detroit Lions - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

It would be very, very difficult for the Lions to on Amukamara. Their last pick from Nebraska turned out alright so they go back to the well for this one.

14.St. Louis Rams - Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Rams are crossing their fingers that Julio falls but that didn't happen. DE seems like the next logical position. Cam Jordan and Aldon Smith both have a lot of upside and could be really thrive under Spags. I give Aldon Smith the edge because he's more of the pure pass rushing RE they're looking for opposite of Long.

15.Miami Dolphins – Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

I know..........boring. I contemplated numerous other options but Ingram keeps arising as the most logical option. Despite a down year statistically, Ingram is still a very good prospect who offers nice value at 15. Either Ricky or Ronnie or both will be gone. With Sparano coming towards the end of his contract and he needs to win now to keep his job. It seems unlikely that they would take a QB here as they will probably looking for players who can make an immediate impact. Ingram is just that and is a great fit in that offense. I considered a deep threat WR but the value was off. RT once seemed like an option but Jeff Ireland said they hadn't talked about moving Carey inside. A darkhorse for this pick would be Phil Taylor.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

This pick just makes a ton of sense for the Jags. Jordan can step right in at DE next to his college teammate Tyson Alualu. Jordan is also a high character guy which the Jags brass puts a lot of emphasis on.

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland 8-8) - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

This may be just a touch early but talented, prototype 5-techs tend to go earlier rather than later. Heyward seems like an ideal fit as a two-gap DE for the Pats. The D-Line suffered from a lot of instability and resulted in Wilfork having to play DE at times. Heyward also offers the athleticism and upside to develop as a interior pass rush presence.

18. San Diego Chargers – Corey Liuget, DE, Illinois

A lot of different directions for the Chargers here. We'll have to see how the Vincent Jackson situation unfolds but I think they hold off on WR in the first for now. RT is an option but I think the Chargers have a more solid O-Line than they get credit for. Clary isn't special but he's still pretty young and doesn't need to be replaced and they also like Dombrowski a lot from what I've heard . Defense makes sense here. Nobody is talking about it but I could see a CB here to work in the nickel and grow into a starter much like they did with Cason. Larry English hasn't shown anything to be excited about so an edge rusher is certainly in the conversation. I went D-Line here. They have some young pieces but lacking starting caliber talent. Liuget is not viewed as a prototype 3-4 DE but has the power and athleticism to play it and could actually be a nice fit in a defense that still utilizes a lot of the same concepts Wade Phillips brought in.

19. New York Giants – Tyron Smith, OT, USC

The Giants are a team that always intrigues me on draft day. They are rarely restricted by the bounds of biggest need and often go for the best or most talented player on their board. Other than quarterback, defensive end or safety, their isn't a position I couldn't see them taking. Tyron Smith is looking like he could be the BPA. The Giants still emphasize their run game and some are under the impression that Smith is a finesse blocker because of his weight but that's really not the case. Sure he's not going to be a mauler in the NFL but he was an above average run blocker at USC who could consistently get movement and did an excellent job on the second level. He doesn't have to come in and start right away which is better for him anyways.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

I know he's played OLB in the 3-4 for Georgia, but I am confident that Houston can make the move back to the 4-3. Scott says there is talk among NFL teams that that is a possibility. He plays with power and is strong at the point of attack so it shouldn't be an issue. The Bucs need a pass rusher and Houston is the most talented one available. Kerrigan and Clayborn will both be in the picture as well. I'm not sold that Clayborn is worth a top 20 selection and he isn't the type of pass rusher they need. I see Kerrigan's stock on a slow decline following the combine and workouts. Houston should emerge as the most explosive of the bunch.

21. Kansas City Chiefs – Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

Pioli is never afraid to overdraft a bit to get a player who fits his scheme, especially along the D-Line. Phil Taylor is one of the most physically impressive NT's you'll find anywhere. His stock should continue to soar after he shows off very impressive movement skills for a 340lb man in Indy. A pass rusher like Kerrigan is a possibility but I get the impression they want to develop Studebaker and Cameron Sheffield. For a team that ran the ball more than anyone else in the NFL (percentage wise) an upgrade on the O-Line is also a strong possibility as the RT position was shaky this season. Big Phil just makes a ton of sense when you consider the scheme fit and the drafting history of Sir Scott Pioli.

22. Indianapolis Colts – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

This pick just makes too much sense. Solder seems like the best fit for Indy of all the OT's left.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

I thought hard about going with an OT here but I couldn't sell myself on it. Although inconsistent, I just don't see them in hurry to replace Peters or Justice. It's certainly possible but I'm just not sure they are on board with that yet. It can never hurt adding another CB, especially in a division where you see two strong WR cores in New York and Dallas. Patterson struggled this year and Harris could be an upgrade there. At very least he can come in and contribute right away as a nickel CB.

24. New Orleans Saints – Martez Wilson, OLB, Illinois

Saints are fairly unpredictable on draft day but it seems like they have to address the front seven this year. Clayborn was an option as schematically he seems like a very good fit. Kerrigan too though I'm not sure about the fit. I think they go ahead and take the best front seven athlete available. Wilson stock should sky-rocket at the combine and I can't think of a better fit for Wilson than a OLB in Gregg Williams' defense. He could be a versatile weapon for the Saints on defense.

25. Seattle Seahawks – Jake Locker, QB, Washington

There would probably be a revolt in Seattle if they passed on him here. They have needs all around but I just think it would be very hard to pass on Locker here.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue

Kerrigan appears to be the BPA and the Ravens could use a pass rusher opposite of Suggs. Kindle's future is still up in the air and regardless you can never have enough pass rushers. Eric DeCosta has stated that WR, CB and pass rushers are what we'll look to address. Ravens go with the best value and get an impact pass rusher here.

27. Atlanta Falcons – Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Number of directions they could go here. Carimi makes the most sense though. Can play either left or right tackle, physical run blocker and an experienced, high character player. DE and WR are also strong options but the value and need really match-up with Carimi

28. New England Patriots – Ben Ijalana, T/G, Villanova

One or more of these first three picks will be traded, we know that much. Pats could go in basically any position with this pick. I really like Ijalana's fit. He can play four positions on the O-Line. He's a very talented player who would solidify that line wherever they need him. System wise, he's a very good fit and should fit right in.

29. Chicago Bears – Muhammed Wilkerson, DT, Temple

On paper, OT is the obvious need but I am still skeptical that they will go in that direction. Both Webb and Omiyale have very little starting experience and both endured their fair share of struggles. But both also progressed and improved towards the end of the season. I think they don't give up on them yet and continue to let them develop. Drafting a D-Lineman, particularly a DT makes a lot of sense. Wilkerson is a guy who can play both the nose and the 3-tech in their defense and would bring some much needed young talent to that d-line.

30. New York Jets – Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA

It's tough not to go front seven here but with talks of Cromartie leaving and the problems that had at the safety position, it will be important for them to address the back end. They could certainly use an infusion of talent and youth in the front seven and a pass rusher but Rex doesn't need a singular pass rush presence to create pressure in his scheme. In a division where they play the Pats 2-3 times a year, I think its imperative that they shore up the back-end.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

The Packers lack of depth at CB was exposed during the Super Bowl. Sure O-Line is a need but I don't think they have to force it. Williams brings some young talent to a secondary that badly needs it.

32. Green Bay Packers – Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

Christian Ballard is kind of the pick by default. I get the impression they are comfortable with their O-Line for the time being. CB value is off. OLB was a strong possibility but no one left really jumped out at me as a great fit for the Pack. It seems they would prefer more of a coverage 3-4 OLB than just a pure pass rusher so they have the flexibility to move Clay around and bring him from all over. Ballard is a very impressive athlete who should excel at the Combine. He's a big versatile athlete whose versatility could be very appealing in Dom Capers defense.

proshoota25
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
pretty solid pats mock. getting impact players on both sides of the ball, and in the trenches, is very much needed. i will be mad tho if we pass on an impact OLB like Ryan Kerrigan tho

49erNation85
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I guess Miller is still the pick of the month for SF.

defensiveback23
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Excellent analysis and choice for the Chargers. It is also very insightful of you for thinking CB could be a position targeted. Smith likes taking them high, and our nickel sit last year was a little worrisome at times.

akvikefan89
02-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd have a hard time passing on Amukamara, but would not be mad to see Julio in Vikings purple.

Chucky
02-23-2011, 11:58 PM
I personally prefer Kerrigan over Houston, but if you feel that Houston is the superior DE prospect then its a good pick for the Bucs

prock
02-24-2011, 02:33 AM
I love Julio, but I can't see that happening. We just have so many needs elsewhere...

TACKLE
02-24-2011, 02:57 AM
I love Julio, but I can't see that happening. We just have so many needs elsewhere...

Well you have a gaping hole at WR if Sidney Rice leaves in FA. The WR core really struggled without Rice this season and Julio could fill a need while also being the BPA. The Vikes brass should make a strong push to bring Rice back but he's an UFA so he'll go to highest bidder. In a way, losing Rice and signing Julio would be an eye for an eye. But with the instability at QB for you guys, it would be very detremental not to have a reliable go-to reciever.

Though with all that being said, if Rice re-signs, with word out that Edwards may not return, the other logical option would be definitely be DE.

Grizzlegom
02-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Good Phins pick but we don't need a NT. Paul Soliai played at an elite level last year and we are close to re-signing him to a long term deal and his back-up is Chris Baker, who started for Nolan in Denver and is someone Nolan really likes.

TACKLE
02-24-2011, 05:48 AM
Good Phins pick but we don't need a NT. Paul Soliai played at an elite level last year and we are close to re-signing him to a long term deal and his back-up is Chris Baker, who started for Nolan in Denver and is someone Nolan really likes.

Yeah I was reading about that just after I posted the mock.

TimmG6376
02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
32. Green Bay Packers Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

Christian Ballard is kind of the pick by default. I get the impression they are comfortable with their O-Line for the time being. CB value is off. OLB was a strong possibility but no one left really jumped out at me as a great fit for the Pack. It seems they would prefer more of a coverage 3-4 OLB than just a pure pass rusher so they have the flexibility to move Clay around and bring him from all over. Ballard is a very impressive athlete who should excel at the Combine. He's a big versatile athlete whose versatility could be very appealing in Dom Capers defense.

Comfortable with their O-line? If TT is smart he should be looking to the future and Clifton has 1 maybe 2 years left. I think most Packer fans were surprised he made it through this season and played as well as he did. Colledge is a FA and we have questionable depth behind Wells.

I'm fine with the reasoning for not taking OLB or CB, but I have to believe there isn't someone at OT or OG/C that would be worthy.

If they take a 3-4 DE in round 1, the writing will be on the wall for Jenkins and perhaps Jolly.

FootballGod
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Nick Fairley is not getting past the Bengals in this scenario.

killxswitch
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
No no no no no. Gabe Carimi to the Colts. Solder will take time and coaching to be good that we don't have. The time for ***** OLmen is over in Indy, we need assholes and will knock a ***** down and keep him there.

Abaddon
02-24-2011, 09:51 AM
1. Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

When all the dust settles and April 28th rolls around, I very much expect this to be the pick. Owner Jerry Richardson is a very conservative guy when it comes to take risk on players with character questions. With that being said, they'll have ample information to make this decision upon and at the end of the day, drafting a franchise QB trumps all.

Okay...so who's the franchise QB? And why take Newton there?

TACKLE
02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Comfortable with their O-line? If TT is smart he should be looking to the future and Clifton has 1 maybe 2 years left. I think most Packer fans were surprised he made it through this season and played as well as he did. Colledge is a FA and we have questionable depth behind Wells.

I'm fine with the reasoning for not taking OLB or CB, but I have to believe there isn't someone at OT or OG/C that would be worthy.

If they take a 3-4 DE in round 1, the writing will be on the wall for Jenkins and perhaps Jolly.

Let me rephrase if I may. I feel that they are comfortable enough with their O-Line so that they don't have to force the position at 32 if they don't want to. I am fully aware that that O-Line as a whole needs some young talent. If he was still on the board, a versatile guy like Ben Ijalana seems like a great fit. Admittedly, when I looked back on this mock later, I realized I forgot about Anthony Castonzo. I wouldn't of had him before any other of the OT's taken though. I can't say for certain but he probably would of been the pick had I remembered him.

TACKLE
02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
No no no no no. Gabe Carimi to the Colts. Solder will take time and coaching to be good that we don't have. The time for ***** OLmen is over in Indy, we need assholes and will knock a ***** down and keep him there.

If I'm Bill Polian, I take Carimi over Solder for sure. But this is a projection and Solder just seems like the most logical pick for the Colts based on the past. I completely understand your desire for some toughness and nastiness from your O-Line but the reality is, Indy is still a finesse passing offense and until that changes, I'm going to give them the player who has the best upside as a pass protector.

thebow305
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
If by boring you mean awesome, then I agree. :)

TACKLE
02-24-2011, 10:14 AM
If by boring you mean awesome, then I agree. :)

I do actually. Ingram would be a great pick for them.

DiG
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
10. Washington Redskins - JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

This was almost a coin flip between Watt and Julio. Personally, I think very highly of both players. But its hard to pass up on the opportunity to bring in a high impact five tech. Shanahan has typically passed on WR's early. This year's draft class is very strong at WR but takes a sharp drop off in 5-techs after the first round and half. Watt has the ability to be the most disruptive player in the draft and I love the idea of him and Carriker on the same D-Line with Rak coming off the edge.

I think Quinn and Amukamara might actually be higher on the list than Julio, but all 3 are clearly possibilities. Watt makes sense but considering how deep this years 3-4 DL class appears, we might be better suited to try and grab one at the top of the 2nd round (you said yourself "round and a half"). The WR class seems pretty strong but a lot of the guys I consider higher tier don't necessarily fit the mold we need to compliment moss and armstrong.

You're right though that typically Shanahan hasn't put a lot of stock into first round wrs, but he most definitely has for linebackers and DBs. Carlos Rogers supposedly wants Dunta Robinson money and I wouldn't be surprised to see the skins take a guy like Amukumura and let Rogers walk considering that they are already paying DHall a fairly large contract. Similar to Orakpo, Quinns value at #10 might also be too good to let slip passed.

TimmG6376
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Let me rephrase if I may. I feel that they are comfortable enough with their O-Line so that they don't have to force the position at 32 if they don't want to. I am fully aware that that O-Line as a whole needs some young talent. If he was still on the board, a versatile guy like Ben Ijalana seems like a great fit. Admittedly, when I looked back on this mock later, I realized I forgot about Anthony Castonzo. I wouldn't of had him before any other of the OT's taken though. I can't say for certain but he probably would of been the pick had I remembered him.

Castonzo would be a solid pick. I just hope TT doesn't think he can rely on Clifton to make it through another full season and does something to address that depth.

In regards to Ballard we just seem to have a lot of depth on the DL right now and to invest a 1st round pick IMO would send a message that someone is not being brought back (Jenkins FA; Jolly's reinstatement not going well?).

SimonRath
02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Carimi would be a terrific fit in atlanta. Im just not 100% sold on OT being a 1st round need.

Poz51
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
3. Buffalo Bills - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Gabbert's stock may come back down to earth but for now I see them over-drafting for a franchise QB.

I wish Gabbert were throwing at the combine, because as of right now, I see him as one of the worst QB fits for the Bills right now having seen some of his play this previous season. As for them "over drafting a franchise QB" what makes you think they would do it this year as opposed to last year, when they passed on Clausen twice?
Personally I see Gabbert as a west coast guy right now, but with Nix and Gailey stating that they have no problem drafting a QB and stashing him away for a couple years, and that they would like to add a QB in the draft, this is possible. However, they went BPA last year, and I think (based on other comments they made) are inclined to do it again this year, instead of "over drafting a franchise QB".

killxswitch
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
If I'm Bill Polian, I take Carimi over Solder for sure. But this is a projection and Solder just seems like the most logical pick for the Colts based on the past. I completely understand your desire for some toughness and nastiness from your O-Line but the reality is, Indy is still a finesse passing offense and until that changes, I'm going to give them the player who has the best upside as a pass protector.

If Polian takes a 3 year project over a guy who can start from day 1, I... I don't know what I'll do.

wicket
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Kerrigan over wilson please, I dont like wilson as a first round (or even second round) guy and kerrigan would be great

txparkes49x
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Von Miller is great. second favorite pick behind Peterson.

Seasonticketholder
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Saints unpredictable? Not at all. It's really simple with the Saints--they take the best player available.

Is Martez Wilson the best player available? Nope. But RYAN KERRIGAN IS THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE! Kerrigan over Wilson, please!