PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt's Top 100

Iamcanadian
02-25-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e75a7b/article/on-ability-alone-these-are-top-prospects-of-2011-nfl-draft

As usual he places prospects in tiers indicating players whose rankings are very close.
For any newcomers, Gil Brandt was Director of Scouting for the Cowboys during their hey days and was responsible for most of their draft picks which made the Cowboys, America's team.

Personally, I doubt he still does a lot of scouting himself today, so his list is probably how the Cowboy scouts currently see the top 100.
Of course the Combine and pro day are going to shake up every team's draft board significantly, but if you want to know at this point whom the scouts and GM's prefer, this is a solid projection.

Draftologist
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
No Stefen Wisniewski?

the natural
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Gil is in charge of inviting the prospects to the Green Room each year, so he is very connected to all team's draft lists.

Iamcanadian
02-26-2011, 12:37 AM
No Stefen Wisniewski?

Unfortunately, Gil, at his age, has a reputation for bad spelling and an occasional slip. Probably the case for Wisniewski.

Iamcanadian
02-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Very interesting, how far down he has Justin Houston OLB, Brandon Harris CB, Derek Sherrod OT, Drake Nevis DL, and Christian Ballard DL.

Big_Pete
02-26-2011, 05:18 AM
I find it interesting he has Prince Amukamara at the top of tier 3 - that is much lower than were many have him.

MaybeDavis
02-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Jimmy Smith in front of Amukamara?

YoJoeBucsFan
02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e75a7b/article/on-ability-alone-these-are-top-prospects-of-2011-nfl-draft

As usual he places prospects in tiers indicating players whose rankings are very close.
For any newcomers, Gil Brandt was Director of Scouting for the Cowboys during their hey days and was responsible for most of their draft picks which made the Cowboys, America's team.

Personally, I doubt he still does a lot of scouting himself today, so his list is probably how the Cowboy scouts currently see the top 100.
Of course the Combine and pro day are going to shake up every team's draft board significantly, but if you want to know at this point whom the scouts and GM's prefer, this is a solid projection.

NFL Films gave the Cowpukes the name "America's Team". I enjoy listening to Brandt on Sirius NFL radio.

Matthew Jones
02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I find it interesting he has Prince Amukamara at the top of tier 3 - that is much lower than were many have him.

This stood out to me as well.

J-Mike88
02-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Jimmy Smith in front of Amukamara?
I agree with him on that.
I think in 5 years, people will lie and say they knew Smith would be better in the NFL than Amukamara, but right now very few will go on record and say it.

Props to the old man Brandt for saying it now.

Not props to him if he forgot Wisniewski. Spelling it wrong is acceptable though.

contento
02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Personally, I doubt he still does a lot of scouting himself today,

You'd think that, because he's old as dirt, but I listen to him regularly on the Sirius NFL channel and he definitely watches the tape himself.

It's crazy because he mispronounces and forgets names regularly, but if you know who he's talking about then you know he's spot on.

Honestly if I was a ****** drafting franchise I'd bring him on as a consultant asap. Throw him a hundred grand just for his opinion on all the players in a given draft.

I forget which year now, but a couple years ago he correctly guessed 31 of the first 32 players taken

Iamcanadian
02-26-2011, 10:17 PM
You'd think that, because he's old as dirt, but I listen to him regularly on the Sirius NFL channel and he definitely watches the tape himself.

It's crazy because he mispronounces and forgets names regularly, but if you know who he's talking about then you know he's spot on.

Honestly if I was a ****** drafting franchise I'd bring him on as a consultant asap. Throw him a hundred grand just for his opinion on all the players in a given draft.

I forget which year now, but a couple years ago he correctly guessed 31 of the first 32 players taken

I follow him very closely but I still have the impression that he relies an awful lot on his sources. He may do some film work on the top few prospects but I don't think he works hard at it like he once did. That said, his sources are the best and his ranking are top notch.

LizardState
02-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Love his tiering concept, but it supports the dominant philosophy of Brandt's bygone era, which was When in doubt, BPA. Positions are far too specialized & there are too many good players in the top 2 or 3 for each of them now for that to be anything but the default when your team absolutely can't get their guy. And lots more teams will trade back for multiple mid- to late-rd. picks now b/c it's paid off in the past. BPA is becoming more a last resort now IMO.

Brandt is very old, & does make mistakes now, but lets not forget he was the 1st Draftnik, maybe even coined the term or it was 1st used about him. He was the 1st to use (primitive by today's standards) computers to sort & evaluate & compare players when he was head scout in Dallas back in the day & the draft had 17 freaking rds. The NFL should name some kind of award like best sleeper pick or whatever after him.

He also comes up with overlooked trivial data on players we don't otherwise see, like here he mentions that Cam Jordan's father was a Vikings TE for 13 yrs. The NFL pedigree + his superlative Sr. Bowl can & will earn a bigger paycheck for him when he's boosted into the 1st rd.