PDA

View Full Version : OL That Made Money at the Combine

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
1a. Tyron Smith [6'5" 307lbs, 29 Reps]

Came in and showed LT size and measurables.

1b. Anthony Costanzo [28 reps, 5.23 40, 8.9 BJ]

I thought Costanzo looked smooth in drills and showed great, and I mean great, technique. Also did really well in the on air interviews and seems smart and humble.

2. Marcus Cannon [33 reps, 5.26 40, 8.9 BJ]

The most impressive part of the entire workout was how good he looked and how good he moved for a man that came in at 6'5" 358lbs. He looks like a mauling OG.

3. Jarriel King [36" Arms, 5.09 40, 9.6 BJ]

He looks the part and moved really well and showed some serious athletic ability and explosion.

4. Stefen Wisniewski [30 reps, 5.26 40, 8.4 BJ]

He moved well and showed better then expected strength and athletic ability.

5. Rodney Hudson [27 reps, 5.22 40, 299lbs]

Hudson looks terrible, but he weighed 300lbs and maintained his technique and great feet in the drills.

I thought guys like Carimi and Solder looked exactly the way that I thought they would.

TACKLE
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Although he didn't work out, Ben Ijalana's 36 inch arms made him some money.

bearfan
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I would say Tyron Smith by just showing up and doing what he did. He was considered a top3 tackle prospect, but now everyone is awe'd by his measurables. He definitely made some money.

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Cannon blew me away with the way that he moved. I would look at him as a real option for,

Chicago [29] Mike Tice loves monstrous OLmen and he could play LG or RG.

Pittsburgh [31] They love monsters on the OL and Cannon has the athletic ability to pull.

Grizzlegom
02-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I think I'm in the minority here but I kinda hold Smith not competing in the drills against him. I realize he has a 'knee injury' but he got that scoped 2 months ago, if he isn't 100%, he's gotta be a REALLY slow healer. Orlando Franklin got it done a week after Smith and was out there competing just fine today.

Really makes me question whether he just packed on weight for the sake of acing the size test and therefore wasn't ready for all the drills as a result.

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I think I'm in the minority here but I kinda hold Smith not competing in the drills against him. I realize he has a 'knee injury' but he got that scoped 2 months ago, if he isn't 100%, he's gotta be a REALLY slow healer. Orlando Franklin got it done a week after Smith and was out there competing just fine today.

Really makes me question whether he just packed on weight for the sake of acing the size test and therefore wasn't ready for all the drills as a result.

I think that Orlando Franklin may not have made a ton of money, but I think he solidified himself as a 3rd round pick and may be a late 2nd round pick.

I wish he moved better laterally he looks like a LG type, John Jerry type.

Babylon
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
I think Derek Sherrod with ideal size and arm length has done himself some good, i can see him as a late first round pick.

Mike Pouncey would be in my losing money category. Doesnt seem to wow in any area really but people automatically assume he's as good as his brother.

Black Bolt
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I think that Orlando Franklin may not have made a ton of money, but I think he solidified himself as a 3rd round pick and may be a late 2nd round pick.

I wish he moved better laterally he looks like a LG type, John Jerry type.

Looks choppy to me.

Black Bolt
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I think Derek Sherrod with ideal size and arm length has done himself some good, i can see him as a late first round pick.

Mike Pouncey would be in my losing money category. Doesnt seem to wow in any area really but people automatically assume he's as good as his brother.

Not at all IMO. The guy looks smooth and natural.

Matthew Jones
02-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Not at all IMO. The guy looks smooth and natural.

Who, Pouncey? I thought he looked awful in the mirror drill and just decent otherwise.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Although he didn't work out, Ben Ijalana's 36 inch arms made him some money.

I don't know if it made him money so much as it stopped him from losing money because of his height

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Who, Pouncey? I thought he looked awful in the mirror drill and just decent otherwise.

I would not go as far as to say that Pouncey looked awful.

I think guys like Pouncey and Sherrod looked like what they are, solid but unspectacular.

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't know if it made him money so much as it stopped him from losing money because of his height

I agree the 36" arms will allow someone to draft his as a LG and try him at LT.

29-45 is where I see him going.

JohnCandy
02-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Marcus Cannon vs Shawn Andrews Combine Stats

Height

Cannon 6'5"
Andrews 6'4"

Weight

Cannon 358lbs.
Andrews 366lbs.

40 Yard Dash

Cannon 5.26
Andrews 5.49

10 Yard Split

Cannon 1.78
Andrews 1.92

Bench Press

Cannon 33
Andrews 27

Vertical

Cannon 30.5"
Andrews 25"

Babylon
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Shortish arms and doesnt seem to want to show what he's got (Senior Bowl and combine), might look a little more attractive in the second round but wouldnt touch him in the first.

Caulibflower
02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Rodney Hudson doesn't look real good with that extra 15-20 pounds on him. Looks like he's just been eating pizza since FSU's season ended.

Thought he looked pretty smooth in the pulling drills they did, though. I haven't watched the other ones.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Rodney Hudson doesn't look real good with that extra 15-20 pounds on him. Looks like he's just been eating pizza since FSU's season ended.

Thought he looked pretty smooth in the pulling drills they did, though. I haven't watched the other ones.

He looks awful indeed. Like he grew boobs.

Simply not good weight. I like his game tape, but man, he needs to re-do that bulk.

Brothgar
02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
an 8.9 inch BJ? how does the ability to give a BJ help with football? Sometimes I think they take the combine too far?

DoughBoy
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
wrong thread yo

Iamcanadian
02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Cannon blew me away with the way that he moved. I would look at him as a real option for,

Pittsburgh [31] They love monsters on the OL and Cannon has the athletic ability to pull.

I agree that Cannon is an amazing athlete, however, the question remains, can he carry that weight and play hard in the 3rd and
4th quarter of a game at the pro level. His endurance isn't going to show at the combine where the drills are short lived, but they will show at the pro level.
How committed is he to stay in shape as a pro??? It is going to cost him millions of dollars because of the weight he is carrying and if he won't get into serious shape for the Combine(a job interview after all), how can you count on him as a pro to stay in shape???
IMO, he has round 1 talent but could easily slip to late round 2 or even round 3 because of weight concerns, it is a huge red flag for me.

descendency
02-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Be afraid if he gets to 33. NE would love to have a guy who can fill in for Mankins (when they trade him) or Vollmer (when he kicks left).