PDA

View Full Version : Have Any "Workout Warriors" Been Productive in the NFL?

nyqua
02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't mean sure fire first round picks who have great workouts, I'm talking about guys who aren't in the first who have great workouts and then go on to have great NFL careers even if they weren't that great in college. Usually you hear of a 4th round guy having an awesome combine, getting into the first round and then does nothing in the NFL.

Any examples of it?? Maybe Clay Matthews?

bengalbuck
02-27-2011, 01:53 AM
It's hard to answer because there's so much re-writing of history with these things, but Nnamdi Asomugha (sp?) and RB Chris Johnson are 2 guys who come to mind. They weren't considered 1st round guys until killing the combine.

jnew76
02-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Chris Johnson and Deion Sanders come to mind.

Crickett
02-27-2011, 02:06 AM
I remember people arguing that Mario Williams was Mike Mamula part 2 and wasn't even the best defensive end on his own college team.

BeerBaron
02-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Vernon Davis has been pretty good and he was one of the biggest destroyers of the combine ever.

wogitalia
02-27-2011, 02:32 AM
I instantly thought of Vernon Davis as well, probably was a first rounder before the combine but his domination of it locked him away.

Chris Johnson wasn't considered a first rounder by pretty much anyone even after his 40 but you have to think it played a massive part in him going in the first.

nobodyinparticular
02-27-2011, 02:43 AM
D-Ware and Shawne Merriman both benefited greatly from their measurables. Heading into the combine, they were ranked highly because they were expected to impress and after they performed better than expected they jumped into the top 10.

asdf1223
02-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Clay Matthews as well. And it might be a bit too early but JPP might get there as well. DRC is also another candidate.

Bald_81
02-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Dustin Keller.

I remember no one was talking about him when all of a sudden he tore up the combine and became a first round pick. He has fared pretty well so far in his early career.

underscore
02-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Cameron Wake ran a 4.58 and had the 2nd highest vertical jump ever at the combine. Took him a while to get NFL success, but he got there.

Zello
02-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Everyone loves to bring up "Mike Mamula" as the case of the classic workout warrior who never amounted to anything in the NFL - but Mamula actually had a decent NFL career by most standards:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MamuMi20.htm

31.5 sacks in 5 years. Above-average for most Defensive Linemen. The reason he could be considered a "bust" is simply because the Eagles traded up to select him #7 overall in the same draft class which saw Warren Sapp drafted at #12.

In my opinion, a true case of the "workout warrior" was someone like Vernon Gholston - amazing combine, drafted high, and absolutely NO impact in the NFL. Mamula was at least a solid, if unspectacular, player.

Zello
02-27-2011, 06:39 AM
D-Ware and Shawne Merriman both benefited greatly from their measurables. Heading into the combine, they were ranked highly because they were expected to impress and after they performed better than expected they jumped into the top 10.

Yeah, DeMarcus Ware is probably the best recent example of a "workout warrior" who actually did live up to the hype.

Ware absolutely tore the Combine up. 4.56s 40, 38 1/2" VJ, 4.07s SS, 10'02" BJ. (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=55196&draftyear=2005&genpos=OLB)

Between the Senior Bowl and the Combine that year, Ware's stock rose from 2nd-4th round to upper 1st round.

wicket
02-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Jared Gaither is a guy that comes to mind for me

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Most of the 'stars' or even solid starters in the NFL IMO had excellent workouts prior to the draft, whether at the combine or during on-campus workouts.

Interesting question the OP poses, however; how many guys had so-so or undistinguished college careers, had a great predraft workout and went on to have good NFL careers.

I don't know how many guys there are, if any at all. Even the lower drafted or underrated guys usually were very good college players.

If Bruce Campbell ever starts for the Raiders, he'd be my #1 dude for this list.

Oh wait, THE guy for this list has to be Antonio Gates!!! Didn't even play in college, had a great workout and now he's nearly a HOFer.

Phillysteeler
02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Gates would be good but he didn't jump into the first with his workout. Only person I can think of is Vernon Davis who has been said already, but he might have been a first rounder any way.

Brent
02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
http://shell-games.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/vernon-davis-club-dream.jpg

though I don't know why people take their shirts off like this.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2011, 08:42 AM
http://shell-games.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/vernon-davis-club-dream.jpg

though I don't know why people take their shirts off like this.

Sorry, but VD in that pic looks like he's hanging out in a club where it's strictly dudes only!!

gsorace
02-27-2011, 09:23 AM
In my opinion, a true case of the "workout warrior" was someone like Vernon Gholston - amazing combine, drafted high, and absolutely NO impact in the NFL. Mamula was at least a solid, if unspectacular, player.

Gholston was also extremely productive in college, a workout warrior implies that he was only drafted high because of his combine.

Abaddon
02-27-2011, 09:31 AM

11th & 12th, you mean.

PossibleCabbage
02-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Isn't the phrase "Workout Warrior" frequently reserved for guys who look much, much better in shorts than they do in pads? In that case, it's tautological to suggest that none of the workout warrior guys will pan out.

If you're asking "were there guys who performed well at the combine and became good players"... well, that's kind of a silly question isn't it? The number of good players who performed well at the combine vastly outstrips the number of good players who didn't perform well at the combine.

Brent
02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry, but VD in that pic looks like he's hanging out in a club where it's strictly dudes only!!
*** or straight, I don't care as long as he's scoring TDs

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
*** or straight, I don't care as long as he's scoring TDs
I'm a huge VD fan, just that pick is the wrong look IMO.

SenorGato
02-27-2011, 10:40 AM
The league is full of workout warriors...it's become almost as dumb and vague a word as bust...here's a list of some:

Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
DeMarcus Ware
Shawne Merriman (pre-injury obviously)
Haloti Ngata
Broderick Bunkley
Vernon Davis
Adrian Wilson
Dustin Keller

The list could go on and on...

Zello
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Bunkley was a workout warrior?

Well, he sucks now, so I guess he could be considered a classic "workout warrior" bust.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Bunkley was a workout warrior?

Well, he sucks now, so I guess he could be considered a classic "workout warrior" bust.
He hasn't lived up to his potential, but he's far from a bust. I want to see what he can do this year being coached by Jim Washburn, especially if they switch to a 1 gap scheme.

evershot
02-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Would Devin Hester fit your profile?

descendency
02-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Why do you think they call him VD? Because his name is Vernon Davis? lol...

Brent
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm a huge VD fan, just that pick is the wrong look IMO.
That's why I picked it. It's hilarious.

gvibes
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Brian Urlacher

Halsey
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
You're missing the trick of the term 'Workout Warrior'. If a player works out well and is also a good player, he's just a good player. He's only a 'workout warrior' is he works out well but doesn't have a good NFL career. There's been many prospects who worked out well and were also good NFL players.

brasho
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
You're missing the trick of the term 'Workout Warrior'. If a player works out well and is also a good player, he's just a good player. He's only a 'workout warrior' is he works out well but doesn't have a good NFL career. There's been many prospects who worked out well and were also good NFL players.

Here's one, there was this guy from Southern Miss, I think, he was 6'3 250-something and wasn't very productive in college... he ran a very fast 4.57 40 but had very little hype coming out and got picked by the Ravens in round 6. It was Adalius Thomas.

Another guy a little more recently... Chaz Schiliens. Had Calvinesque workout numbers and when he has been healthy, he has really impressed.

Other guys, look at Jamal Lewis who was considered a decent RB coming out and then he ran a completely unexpected 40 in the low 4.4s. He ended up being selected very high and he did pretty well for himself. Stanford Routt, Kearse, Howie Long, Willie Parker, etc, etc etc... They're all over the place.

Want old school? Bob Hayes Never played college ball, ran like the wind, great player.

brasho
03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd be willing to bet my life that Antonio Gates's measurables far outweighed his game tape.

brasho
03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
How about Clay Matthews? He had 4 or 5 career sacks in college, didn't even earn a starting job until his senior season... that 1.49 10 yard split was ridiculous, however, and really elevated his draft stock.

K Train
03-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't mean sure fire first round picks who have great workouts, I'm talking about guys who aren't in the first who have great workouts and then go on to have great NFL careers even if they weren't that great in college. Usually you hear of a 4th round guy having an awesome combine, getting into the first round and then does nothing in the NFL.

Any examples of it?? Maybe Clay Matthews?

terrell owens had **** production his senior year...i think he fits this mold

brasho
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
What did Mike Wallace's numbers in college look like? I don't recall him setting the world on fire.

brasho
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Jay Ratliff was a nobody at Auburn and then he ran a 4.85 at 292 lbs and found himself drafted in round 7... and the rest is history.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah, to me "workout warriors" refers to the Chris Henrys (the Titan one) and Josh Barretts of the world.

brasho
03-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Yeah, to me "workout warriors" refers to the Chris Henrys (the Titan one) and Josh Barretts of the world.

Yes, but those two weren't successful...some are... like that fast little CB that the Redskins severely overdrafted nearly 30 years ago. He was from tiny little Texas A and I... Why on earth would Bobby Beathard and the Redskins have picked a 5'7 170 lb CB in the draft from a tiny school? Darrell Green turned out pretty well though, didn't he?

StaticGator
03-02-2011, 06:08 AM
What did Mike Wallace's numbers in college look like? I don't recall him setting the world on fire.

He put up over 700 yards in both his junior and senior seasons, but even with Jevan Snead Ole Miss didn't have the kind of sophisticated passing offense for him to get that high on anyone's radars. The most telling stat for him was 20.1 YPR as a senior, fifth in the nation that year.

brasho
03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok, how about Christian Okoye and Brandon Jacobs. Both weighed over 250 at the combine, both ran in the 4.5 range, both were outstanding at times during their careers.

brasho
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Recently retired Stephen Neal had to have had a great workout for the Pats, he didn't even play collegiate football.

fenikz
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Jimmy Graham, played 1 year of football and had under 20 catches

brasho
03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Jimmy Graham, played 1 year of football and had under 20 catches

And got Shockey cut.

Texas Homer
03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Might Vikings DE Brian Robison fit the profile laid out?

4th round pick. Big XII Champion in shot putter. Played LB and DE (Mostly at DE) in college at Texas. Tore up the combine. Big-Time workout warrior (Although he is a very talented football player as well).

Robison just inked a 3 year extention with the Vikings(3 years-14.1$)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BrianRobison1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BrianRobison2-1.jpg

PossibleCabbage
03-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Recently retired Stephen Neal had to have had a great workout for the Pats, he didn't even play collegiate football.

He was one hell of a Wrestler though, and a lot of that does actually translate to offensive line play. Guys with wrestling backgrounds in high school often go on to be very good offensive linemen, Neal just took it to another level.

I don't know if "A guy who played another sport at a high level, then went on to play in the NFL" really is what we mean when we say "workout warrior." After all, we have no idea whether a guy like Stephen Neal or Antonio Gates would have looked like on tape in college if they had actually played football in college. It's entirely possible that they would have been great.

I prefer to think of "workout warriors" as guys whose great workouts make people forget about mediocre tape. I don't think "no tape" is really the same thing.

brasho
03-05-2011, 03:41 PM
He was one hell of a Wrestler though, and a lot of that does actually translate to offensive line play. Guys with wrestling backgrounds in high school often go on to be very good offensive linemen, Neal just took it to another level.

I don't know if "A guy who played another sport at a high level, then went on to play in the NFL" really is what we mean when we say "workout warrior." After all, we have no idea whether a guy like Stephen Neal or Antonio Gates would have looked like on tape in college if they had actually played football in college. It's entirely possible that they would have been great.

I prefer to think of "workout warriors" as guys whose great workouts make people forget about mediocre tape. I don't think "no tape" is really the same thing.

I have disagree... workout warrior means that the guy has some serious measurables (being athletic in other sports to me is a measurable) but bad or no tape. In these cases, there were no tapes of Graham, Neal, or Gates... playing football anyways. Which to me, means workout warrior...playing another sport well, and putting out great football tape are fairly unrelated.

brasho
03-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Might Vikings DE Brian Robison fit the profile laid out?

4th round pick. Big XII Champion in shot putter. Played LB and DE (Mostly at DE) in college at Texas. Tore up the combine. Big-Time workout warrior (Although he is a very talented football player as well).

Robison just inked a 3 year extention with the Vikings(3 years-14.1$)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BrianRobison1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BrianRobison2-1.jpg

Exactly, I thought about this thread right after I read that Robison got his extension... he is a prime example.

Another guy to consider in relation to other sports... Former 49er NT Michael Carter, wasn't he a world class shotputter or something that didn't play college football? I know Renaldo Nehemiah didn't play college football and he didn't do tooooooo badly, considering he wasn't a football player.

Don Vito
03-05-2011, 03:52 PM

He was severely underused until the second half of his senior year, when we started using him properly we didn't lose a game the rest of the year. He was the best deep receiver in college football by the end of his senior year, he never put up huge stats and was pretty much a one trick pony but he was still a huge part of our offense. He never put up huge numbers because he never had decent QB until his senior year and we were still a run first team with McCluster and Shay Hodge also at receiver at that time. I wouldn't classify him as a workout warrior, just a late bloomer who was somewhat underused. I always felt he would wind up being one of those better in the pros than in college types, but what he has done in Pittsburgh so far has even surprised me. Shows how underused he was at Ole Miss but that's how we do things.

brasho
03-05-2011, 03:57 PM
He was severely underused until the second half of his senior year, when we started using him properly we didn't lose a game the rest of the year. He was the best deep receiver in college football by the end of his senior year, he never put up huge stats and was pretty much a one trick pony but he was still a huge part of our offense. He never put up huge numbers because he never had decent QB until his senior year and we were still a run first team with McCluster and Shay Hodge also at receiver at that time. I wouldn't classify him as a workout warrior, just a late bloomer who was somewhat underused. I always felt he would wind up being one of those better in the pros than in college types, but what he has done in Pittsburgh so far has even surprised me. Shows how underused he was at Ole Miss but that's how we do things.

I believe everything you say... all except for the part about you guys getting a QB... though I'm sure Todd McShay couldn't agree more :)

Don Vito
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I believe everything you say... all except for the part about you guys getting a QB... though I'm sure Todd McShay couldn't agree more :)

Wallace's senior season was Snead's first year with us and he was a stud. People thought Snead had possible #1 pick potential after his senior year, he led a team that was a perpetual loser to an undefeated second half of the season and a Cotton Bowl win over a top-10 ranked Texas Tech team that many felt could have played in the NC game. Snead did not become college football's punchline until 2009.

brasho
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
SOmebody that I totally forgot about... Peyton Hillis didn't have much production... or much was said positive about him other than his pass catching when he came out of Arkansas. Then he weighed in at 250 and ran in the 4.5's and I recall thinking, I don't care how little he did, he could surely do something for somebody being that big and fast... and Denver spent a 6th rounder on him, and didn't even know what they had (despite a 100 yard rushing and a 100 yard receiving day toward the end of his rookie season before he got hurt) and sent him over to the Browns for nothing.

He would be an ideal posterboy for "workout warrior making good."