PDA

View Full Version : Mallett Hedges About Drugs, Newton Beams Confidence

LizardState
02-27-2011, 08:41 AM
In their initial Combine media interviews two of the top QB names in the draft gave the media opposite impressions on their NFL fitness.

The rumors of Mallett's drug use have been intensifying as the draft draws close & when confronted with them, he "neither confirmed nor denied." Does that = he did it? Failure to deny when it counts the most for a forthcoming NFL career = guilty IMO.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-newtonmallettinterviews022611

Newton exuded confidence & gave all the right answers. The upcoming individual interviews behind closed doors with team scouts will be crucial for both these NFL hopefuls in the next few days. Rarely are those interviews made public but in the case of these two most controversial QBs with, at best, to be generous, checkered college careers, if No Comment results from them I thin we can assume the impression was negative. Those teams clearly in need of a QB who decline to interview them says a lot too.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
If the answer isn't a simple 'YES' or 'NO', why should he answer it??

What if he experimented once?? WHat if he's smoked weed??

When a reporter asks, 'what about those drug rumors, Ryan??', that's an open-ended setup question that only an NFL GM or scout needs to know the answer.

Reporters aren't giving these guys jobs, their only goal is to build prospects up to later tear them down and attract readers.

LizardState
02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the rumors are a bit more serious than smoking pot once or even marijuana:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Drug-rumors-surrounding-Ryan-Mallett.html

I googled it & several articles used the term addicted regarding his drugs.

Doesnt matter if it's performance-enhancers or drugs to get high, one dirty test in the NFL costs a player 4 gamechecks & jeopardizes the team, there's a fine for both I think too. Yes I know reporters emphasize controversy to boost readership but Mallet seemed to me like he didn't know he was auditioning for a league with a zero tolerance policy, & like he resented them even asking -- true or not he should have denied it unless he's failed a test so there is evidence which in his case there isn't I don't think, he should know they're going to test him anyway in the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I think the rumors are a bit more serious than smoking pot once or even marijuana:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Drug-rumors-surrounding-Ryan-Mallett.html

I googled it & several articles used the term addicted regarding his drugs.

Doesnt matter if it's performance-enhancers or drugs to get high, one dirty test in the NFL costs a player 4 gamechecks & jeopardizes the team, there's a fine for both I think too. Yes I know reporters emphasize controversy to boost readership but Mallet seemed to me like he didn't know he was auditioning for a league with a zero tolerance policy, & like he resented them even asking -- true or not he should have denied it unless he's failed a test so there is evidence which in his case there isn't I don't think, he should know they're going to test him anyway in the NFL.

Nothing is substantiated and there are no sources.

And the NFP wasn't in existence 6 months ago, I'd hardly call that site a credible source on anything.

You really think he was a drug addict the last two seasons at Arkansas??
I don't know too many drug addicts who would have been able to perform at the level Mallett did at Arkansas.

Drug addicts typically are noted for missing practices, oversleeping meetings, unable to remember offensive plays, being physically debilitated, or ultimately benched by their HC for subpar performance.

Lawrence Taylor admitted to using cocaine recreationally at UNC, and even he wasn't considered an 'addict' in college.

Mallett is not an addict. If you can't tell that by looking at the guy for five minutes, you simply have not been around enough people in the grips of a chemical addiction.

How many times are reporters going to ask the same question at the combine before they get the message Mallett isn't going to tell them what they want to hear??

bitonti
03-01-2011, 10:49 AM
the way Mallett worked out... I wonder if he really slips as far as people are predicting. Are we to believe teams like Vikings, Dolphins, don't need this guy?

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 11:41 AM
For reference, Charlie Sheen = cocaine addicted.

WINNING!!!

http://www.celebritysmackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/nm_charlie-sheen-drunk.jpg

That's not Mallett.

SolidGold
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I've read that Mallet actually came across well in the team interviews and was impressive breaking down plays. His press conference was overblown by the media.

I think some teams will pass on him but he will still be a first round pick, just needs to end up somewhere with an offensive line to protect him. I will probably mock him to Seattle when I do my mock draft.

He has been the media's target for character assassination in this years draft.

ThePudge
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Ryan Mallett is getting torn apart for not disclosing drug information to the media, but honestly does anybody think that'd be a good idea? That's info that NFL teams and scouts needed to know about, but it shouldn't matter if the general public remains in the dark. There are kids that look up to Mallett, he has family, there's just no reason why he should be forced to reveal the dark side of his past to the entire world. As long as he's honest with NFL teams, that's all that will matter.

SolidGold
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I have to agree. It was nice to see him perform so well throwing the ball and doing so accurately because when it comes down to it, that is what a QB is supposed to do.

I will be the first to admit he isn't going to be the most mobile or have the most escapability when things break down. He does seem to actually have a genuine love for the game unlike Jamarcus who he is compared to most of the time.