31 Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Pouncey, OL
32 Green Bay Packers - Brooks Reed, LB

33 New England Patriots - Nate Solder, OL

Seasonticketholder
02-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Great Saints pick! Spot on!

diesel
02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I think that is exactly what Dallas plans to do if PP falls to #6, good job.

wicket
02-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Great Saints pick! Spot on!

TERRRRRIBLE saints picks, the saints barely need a running back, if any at all and to boot there is good value at the actual spot available.

Also and I cannot stress this enough, Ingram is a bad fit saints as the only way Ingram can be an above average back is in a run-first offense and the Saints will never run a run-first offense under Payton. It is also problematic that the only vaguely valid (although not sufficient) reason to draft a running back high for the saints is because of health issues and whilst injuries arent a huge red flag with ingram he does have his issues there as well.

Picking Ingram would make me punch little babies if it were to happen on draft day.

BradysKnee
02-27-2011, 01:18 PM
TERRRRRIBLE saints picks, the saints barely need a running back, if any at all and to boot there is good value at the actual spot available.

Also and I cannot stress this enough, Ingram is a bad fit saints as the only way Ingram can be an above average back is in a run-first offense and the Saints will never run a run-first offense under Payton. It is also problematic that the only vaguely valid (although not sufficient) reason to draft a running back high for the saints is because of health issues and whilst injuries arent a huge red flag with ingram he does have his issues there as well.

Picking Ingram would make me punch little babies if it were to happen on draft day.

Who would you take?

wicket
02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Who would you take?

For me Heyward without doubt, but Paea would be another good pick. Basically just choose the top rated front 7 player with exception of pure ILBs and pure 5-techs

Borat
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
You forgot the rest of the second round lol!

Tom Servo
02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Trade down and still get Green= the perfect scenario for the Browns! Though I'll admit Jones' stunning combine numbers are intriguing...

prock
02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I can dig Cam Jordan.

Matthew Jones
02-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Yes. Yeeeeees.

Babylon
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Seattle

The way it plays out here i'd take Stephen Paea or even Jimmy Smith.

Not sold on Cam Newton that high.

Seasonticketholder
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Hide your babies! Because if Ingram is there, I think he's the pick.

Listen, you and I are not going to agree on this one. I see the Saints having a need at the position, you do not. The Saints see themselves as having a need. Payton's interview with Brian Allee-Walsh a couple of weeks ago was very revealing, especially when he talked about his vision for some of the backs in the offense. He stated he saw Ivory as Mike Bell (i.e. the finisher). Bush is Bush, and Payton envisions a role for him; he expects him back. But he was very non-committal on Pierre. There's scuttlebutt that Pierre won't be back on the team. So who then fills Pierre's role? Ingram is a more talented version of Thomas. He has good hands, is not a blazer but can run between the tackles. I do not know that Ingram needs to be a run-first offense to excel. Ingram is a guy you can expect to give the ball 15 to 17 times a game with Ivory handling the rest of the load and Bush being used in a multi-dimensional sort of way.

In order for the Saints to run at an optimum level--and I have heard Payton not only suggest this but also Marshall Faulk and Jamie Dukes at the combine--we need to have a strong running game. The one year this team made it to the Superbowl, we were able to run the ball very well. Every other year, we have not acquitted ourselves well in that department. And while our offense can score points and Drew will still be among the best, we are unable to get over the hump. Let me just say, this is not a reaction to the injuries we had last year. It's looking at our team and saying that other than the 2009-2010 season, our rushing offense has ranked 28th or worst. But it's not just yards per game, but yards per carry. Payton says when you do run it, you want to be successful doing so whether is 10 times a game or 30 times a game. In addition, we see the type of quarterback Drew can be when he has a strong running game. Last season, teams found a way to prevent us from having success with the deep ball mainly because they did not have to respect our running game. The only time we really looked good in all phases on offense was when Ivory was healthy. Ivory is a solid back but he's not going to carry the load alone. We know who Bush is; he's not bust. He's a very solid all-around threat but not a guy who will be allowed to carry it 15 times a game. With everyone from Pat Yasinkas to some of the local media speculating Pierre won't be back, we certainly cannot hang our hats on hoping that Ivory won't get hurt or that Lionel Hamilton will be the man, especially given the fact that he's coming off injury.

Who would you take?

Please do not pay any attention to wicket in this regard. He's personally against taking a back. The Saints need a RB, and Ingram is the ONLY guy worthy of a first round pick at the position. He fits our offense well and would be a perfect complement to Chris Ivory and Reggie Bush.

For me Heyward without doubt, but Paea would be another good pick. Basically just choose the top rated front 7 player with exception of pure ILBs and pure 5-techs

See, this is what bothers me. Some of us are so willing to take a front-seven player that we would rather reach for a guy or take a guy who doesn't necessarily fit than to take a better player at a key position of need. Heyward is a 5-tech. Can he play in a 4-3? Sure. And I like his versatility. But the argument all off-season has been that we need a guy who can get up the field and rush the passer. 3.5 sacks?! C'mon. Alex Brown was not effective at generating a consistent pass rush but he did play well against the run. Not spectacular but solid. Heyward gives you that but he's not going to be a 10 sack-a-year guy. But because he plays defense, we're willing to take him over a guy who could complete our RB corp and help us to finish games in the fourth quarter--something we could not do at times last season. And with Paea. Scouts see him as a 3-tech. He's not a true NT. He's a versatile guy who can play both DT positions much like Sed Ellis. Similar size on both guys. We need more of a true NT. You can add a true NT like a Phil Taylor, Sione Fua, Jarvis Jenkins, Kenrick Ellis or Jerrell Powe later and they would all help our defense. They would free Ellis up to make more plays. Ellis has the talent to be a star in this league but he takes on too many double and triple teams. Now, if Paea was there in the second round, I would jump all over him because of the value of the pick. But in the first, I am thinking, why take a player who is not a true NT when I can get a true NT in a later round who would allow Ellis to emerge just as much as Paea would? For me, Paea then has to be SPECIAL--really SPECIAL--for me to privilege him over, say, Ingram or even a DE like Smith or Kerrigan or Houston.

Don Vito
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
That is as good as it gets for the Pats.

thebow305
02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
WTF would we trade UP for Jake Locker!? Pretty sure he'd be there at 15. Ugh, Patsies fans.

akvikefan89
02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
I like Cam Jordan, but if we passed on Nick Fairley for him I may punch myself in the face to death.

BradysKnee
02-27-2011, 06:03 PM
WTF would we trade UP for Jake Locker!? Pretty sure he'd be there at 15. Ugh, Patsies fans.

Pretty sure Minny would take him.

GoRavens
02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
For me Heyward without doubt

Cam Heyward (coming off Tommy John surgery) to the Saints in the 1st is a horrible idea. Ingram is a pounder, but not a good fit for the Saints quick offense in my opinion. I'd take Paea personally, a complete beast of a run stopper for a poorly built Saints interior line.

BaLLiN
02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
19 New York Giants - Anthony Castanzo, OT
**TRADE TB receives #22+IND 4th**
20 Indianapolis Colts - Tyron Smith, OT

so we pass up the best LT prospect in the draft for a guy that has reached his peak?

phlysac
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm starting to think that Amukamara is a forced pick in 49ers mocks. As things are unfolding I don't see him continuing to be one of the top-10 guys.

BradysKnee
02-27-2011, 06:36 PM
so we pass up the best LT prospect in the draft for a guy that has reached his peak?

Tyron Smith worries me a bit, not a huge fan of Castanzo either though.

Pat Sims 90
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Nope not going to happen.

BradysKnee
02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Nope not going to happen.

The nightmare is real. lol

Pat Sims 90
02-27-2011, 07:18 PM
The nightmare is real. lol

I am willing to bet anyone any amount of money that Cam Newton does not get picked by the Bengals with the 4th pick.

BradysKnee
02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
I am willing to bet anyone any amount of money that Cam Newton does not get picked by the Bengals with the 4th pick.

Most of you Bengals fans would've lost a lot of cash adamantly denying Jermaine Gresham would not be the pick.

Pat Sims 90
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Most of you Bengals fans would've lost a lot of cash adamantly denying Jermaine Gresham would not be the pick.

Yea we would have but the Bengals will not take a QB in the 1st this year. It is looking more and more like one will be picked in the 2nd or 3rd.

T-RICH49
02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
can def dig Baldwin

txparkes49x
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Id be livid if the cowboys jumped up like that and took Peterson, but if it did happen Amukamara is the guy.

GoRavens
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Bengals have a QB that forced himself out of the locker room and the city.
Why do their fans not want a QB? I don't get it.
I gave em' Christian Ponder, in the second.

TNPatsFan
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Interesting trade up there for the Pats. But I gotta say if Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, JJ Watt, and yes even Mark Ingram were all still on the board when Houston was on the clock at 15, then I feel pretty confident that the Pats would stay right where they are at 17 and let the best one on their board fall to them.

Hermstheman83
03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
can def dig Baldwin

Isn't Baldwin the guy being compared to T.O? Same dimensions and same diva attitude? No way Haley(or Pioli) grab Baldwin in the first. If I were to suggest a change, I could see KC going after a RT or Center with this pick. I just don't see Baldwin going to KC.