PDA

View Full Version : Murray, Saine or Scott Before Ingram?

FUNBUNCHER
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
DeMarco Murray( 6 foot, 213#) - 4.38.
Brandon Saine(5'11, 220#) - 4.44.
Da'Rel Scott(5'11, 211#) - 4.35.

Mark Ingram(5'9, 215#) - 4.58.

NFL teams don't care one bit that Ingram won a Heisman or a NC. Ingram has the instincts, feet, size and intangibles, but he doesn't have that 2nd gear and he was injured last season.

Would anyone be surprised to one or more of the above RBs drafted before Ingram??

I think there's a great chance that DeMarco is the first RB taken.

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Give me LeShoure before any of them.

bitonti
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I dont see a compelling reason why there has to be any first round RBs.

CaneBang
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Not one of those runners will go before Ingram, I don't see it happening at all.

THe only one who I would even possibly think about taking would be Murray, but his lingering knee injuries scare me away very easily.

The only reason Chris Johnson skyrocketed was because he ran a 4.24. It's possible that if either one of those three ran somewhere in the low 4.2s that they would skyrocket, but Ingram is honestly one of the better running backs to come around since AD if you ask me.

Not one of these runners run with more determination, vision or center of gravity than Ingram. Granted he had a solid O-line in front of him, but he can cut on a dime and is a good receiver as well.

1% chance of happening, if that.

Da'Rel Scott lacks vision and is also injury prone.

Brandon Saine, although is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield will never be a full-time, "carry the load" type back.

P-L
02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Well if Mark Ingram isn't the first running back off the board, then Mikel LeShoure is going to be. None of the three guys you mentioned have any chance of being drafted before Mark Ingram. Murray and Scott were known to be fast, but have major durability/injury concerns. Brandon Saine was also known to be fast, he just isn't very good. Even after the combine, Saine is only a late round pick. Ingram's official 40 time was 4.62 (reported by multiple sources). His 10-yard split looked pretty good, so that should still keep him in the late-1st round mix. I think both Ingram and LeShoure will go off the board in the late-1st or early-2nd, in some order.

Halsey
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Murray reminds me a little of Jerious Norwood. Really fast, but can he stay on the field.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Anyone who drafts Brandon Saine in the same round as Ingram should be fired the night it happens

descendency
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
No lol. Ingram = fastest 10 yard split of any RB.

TACKLE
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Is there a chance that Ingram isn't the first back taken? It's unlikely but yes. But he sure as hell won't get jumped by the two most injury prone backs in the draft or a below average college player in Brandon Saine. Not happening. Murray would be the only one of the three but its a very, very slight chance.

OaklandRaider56
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Is this a serious question? These guys have nothing on Ingram except that 40 time.

A Perfect Score
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm a big DeMarco Murray fan but I don't think he goes before the mid 2nd. He's got serious injury issues but I love his versatility. You can motion him into the slot and he moves like a WR there, he's fantastic catching the ball. Really versatile weapon who I think is going to be a very good player if he ends up somewhere like Green Bay or possibly even New England. Of the three you listed, I would assume he would be the only one who could pass Ingram, but LeShoure is the guy I'd put my money on if I was going to guess someone going before. That said, I think Ingram as the first RB off the board is one of the larger guarantees in this draft.

jrdrylie
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Funbuncher, are you secretly Al Davis? DeMarrco Murray is the only one of those three that is even close to being in Ingram's league. I guess you think somebody should draft Dontay Moch to play running back before considering Mark Ingram.

FUNBUNCHER
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Funbuncher, are you secretly Al Davis? DeMarrco Murray is the only one of those three that is even close to being in Ingram's league. I guess you think somebody should draft Dontay Moch to play running back before considering Mark Ingram.

Ingram had a down season last year, and I can imagine NFL teams are underrating what kind of player he is and can be at the next level.

Demarco had a really solid year for him, I think 1200 yards and double digit TDs, so I could see him rising in the minds of some, with his size and ideal speed.

Since teams nowadays aren't really looking to draft a true feature back, and instead prefer a guy who fits their rotation at RB, maybe speed trumps overall RB talent in one player, like Ingram.

lod01
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I dont see a compelling reason why there has to be any first round RBs.

They are all about the same. None should be picked in the 1st.

Caulibflower
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Is this a serious question? These guys have nothing on Ingram except that 40 time.

This. Even the Raider fan understands this.

Don Vito
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I am a big Mark Ingram fan, but his production dipped significantly when he got banged up a little and he wasn't running behind the best offensive line in college football anymore. He really looked like he was lost without the Bama OL of 2008 and 2009, Bama had an average OL this year and it looked to have effected Ingram more than Richardson. I like Ingram but his durability scares me for the future when you watch how he runs, he is a very good running back but I personally would not want the Pats to touch him in the first.

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I think if Pierre Thomas ran behind Alabama's line in college, he'd have been Mark Ingram.

Scott Wright
02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh boy, this is the reason people hate on the Scouting Combine...

Don Vito
02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Ingram will probably fall but I'm still expecting to see him gone in the first 25 picks. He isn't a can't miss top ten pick back because he just isn't the freak of nature that you need to be to be drafted that high as a runner. He is a talented, tough, and complete running back who will probably be a Frank Gore-esque NFL player which is definitely something a lot of teams could use. He will just need to stay healthy and that is my only worry, I know he is tough but he runs so hard that I am just worried he might get dinged up and overworked if a team drafts him to be a workhorse type back since he is so complete.

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
If he ends up dinged up, I don't see how he's any better at all than Thomas....

I might sound homerish, but Pierre and Mark run almost exactly the same, and the way they work screens is nearly identical.

Ball security, lower body power and leg drive, vision, great cuts, great short area speed.

Lacking long speed, has durability questions, size, etc.

A Perfect Score
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
He really reminds me of Ray Rice, TACKLE and I were talking about that in IRC the other day. Doesn't have the same long speed as Rice had coming out of college but they run very similar and have similar strengths and weaknesses. Ingram will be a player in the NFL, I don't think anyone is questioning that.

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
He really reminds me of Ray Rice, TACKLE and I were talking about that in IRC the other day. Doesn't have the same long speed as Rice had coming out of college but they run very similar and have similar strengths and weaknesses. Ingram will be a player in the NFL, I don't think anyone is questioning that.

Also a great comparison

wonderbredd24
02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi. I know this happens every year, but don't forget about me just because guys look good in shorts and a T-shirt for one day.

Regards,

Gamefilm.

TACKLE
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Can we get this thread locked? This thread is seriously r*tarded.

wonderbredd24
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Can we get this thread locked? This thread is seriously r*tarded.
I want to see the knee jerk reactionary mock draft to be honest.

Can Funbuncher type up a 1st round where Marvin Austin, Allen Bailey, Mario Fannin, etc are going in the Top 15?

Saints-Tigers
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Mark Ingram is a solid runner and all, but if he's NOT hte best RB from this draft, is anyone going to be shocked?

wonderbredd24
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Mark Ingram is a solid runner and all, but if he's NOT hte best RB from this draft, is anyone going to be shocked?
I would be.

The guy is just an incredible football player. He is good at everything and he has elite drive for the game.

And God help your defensive backs when he gets to the second level. I may be alone, but I love how short he is, because the low man wins and he is so incredibly powerful as a runner that he is going to just destroy people.

The man, the myth, the legend Trent Richardson could not keep this guy off the field and everyone thinks Richardson is a Top 10-15 pick next year, so what does that say about Ingram?

descendency
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Yes. He's clearly one of the top RBs in football. While he may not be the best RB on his team, Richardson may be the best RB in college football right now.

Even if Ingram is the 3rd best RB in his state, that is only because Michael Dyer is probably a top 2 RB (Behind Richardson).

Ingram is physical, football smart, and FAST on the field.

Sniper
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Yes. He's clearly one of the top RBs in football. While he may not be the best RB on his team, Richardson may be the best RB in college football right now.

Even if Ingram is the 3rd best RB in his state, that is only because Michael Dyer is probably a top 2 RB (Behind Richardson).

Ingram is physical, football smart, and FAST on the field.

Michael Dyer is not a better running back than Mark Ingram right now. That's absurd.

Also, Brandon Saine? The same guy who has worse vision than Helen Keller and couldn't beat out Dan Herron at RB? SERIOUSLY?

TACKLE
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Also, Brandon Saine? The same guy who has worse vision than Helen Keller and couldn't beat out Dan Herron at RB? SERIOUSLY?

Yeah but some NFL teams may think Saine is better because he had a better forty time.

:rolleyes:

wonderbredd24
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Michael Dyer is not a better running back than Mark Ingram right now. That's absurd.

Saine looks impressive in person, but he's soft... kinda like Julius Jones minus the talent.

descendency
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
kinda like Julius Jones minus the talent.

Julius Jones has talent? Where?

Big Bird
02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
This has to be a complete joke.

Ingram is an insanely talented back. I could care less what his forty time is. It is a 4.62, I don't care. It is what I expected. Do slower Running Backs tend to be productive at the next level? Not really, but it happens. And Ingram has everything but straight-line speed. His balance is insane and uncanny. Ingram's vision is fantastic. He is already a great blocker, so he'll get plenty of chances early to play on 3rd Downs.

Those other guys, except Murray, are limited to being only 3rd Down Backs at the next level. Brandon Saine has some of the worst vision ever, period. And Da'Rel has struggled with injuries and been generally average on the field. They don't even belong in the Top 100, let alone above Mark Ingram.

Again, I really hope you're not serious.

J52
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Meh, I've never been too high on Ingram and his combine results kinda solidified my not too high rating in my head.

People claim great vision and production, but those both are usually more of a credit to the blocking team around the back rather then the back themselves. "Vision" means seeing gaps to take. Seeing gaps to take means there are gaps there to take. And in the case of Ingram at Bama, lots of gaps.

His balance is good, but nothing remarkable. He's not Priest Holmes or Barry Sanders in terms of balance. And he's not as athletic as either of them anyways.

He'd be just about the slowest starting back in the NFL if he did start. One of the least agile as well. His leaping ability(and thus, power) is pathetic. 31 inch vertical is pretty meh for a defensive linemen. For a first round RB? bleh...

I'm not too big into measurables when it comes to judging a player, but when a players numbers are this outstanding, you have to notice.

And the biggest thing in my opinion, is that his highlight tapes tend to be mostly him running through grand canyon size holes in the offensive front and not being touched while running to the end zone. He makes some plays, but not enough to be a first rounder IMO. I see him falling.