PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor

bengalbuck
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Ohio State does 40 testing each spring and they try to make it as similar to the combine as possible so guys legitimately know where they stand.

Each of the past 2 years, Pryor was the fastest guy on the team by .05 or more, running a 4.33 and a 4.32. (People have found this hard to believe, saying the times are inflated and the rest of OSU's team must be slow.)

I mention this now because the 2nd fastest guy on the team was Chimdi Chekwa who ran in the high 4.3s/low 4.4s each of the last 2 years.

Today, Chekwa ran 4.33 and 4.37 at the combine....Pryor has always been .05 faster than him....

I don't know how good of a pro TP will be (next year will be big for him, needs to show progress), but his combine is going to be something to see. He's going to go low 4.3s at 6'6 240.

phlysac
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
and Al Davis will draft him to play WR?

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 11:34 AM
If TP runs 4.45 or better at the combine, that's cool. But for his desired position, QB, that's the last thing Pryor needs to worry about; his raw straight line speed.

TP may be fast, but laterally he's not quick and often looks slow rolling out of the pocket.

Locker is a bullet when he rolls out compared to Pryor.

I'm not saying Terrelle should switch positions, but if he switched to WR, strictly based on tools alone, I could see him being taken top 50 without ever having played the position in college.

rawdawg
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Lot more to being a WR than just being fast. Like you said, Pryor doesn't look like he has the lateral quickness to get in and out of breaks like a WR should. He's big, but is he strong enough to get off of a jam (considering he's never done it before)? Pryor doesn't look anything like a WR to me. Maybe a TE, but no way is he every going to be a good enough blocker. If he doesn't make it as an NFL QB, he won't have an NFL career.

bengalbuck
03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
If TP runs 4.45 or better at the combine, that's cool. But for his desired position, QB, that's the last thing Pryor needs to worry about; his raw straight line speed.

TP may be fast, but laterally he's not quick and often looks slow rolling out of the pocket.

Locker is a bullet when he rolls out compared to Pryor.

I'm not saying Terrelle should switch positions, but if he switched to WR, strictly based on tools alone, I could see him being taken top 50 without ever having played the position in college.

Yes, he could switch to WR and be good at it if he wanted to. And I'm sure he's not super worried about his speed. He showed up that fast as a frosh and has maintained it while adding muscle.

However, i disagree with the rest. The thing is that a lot of people think he "looks slow rolling out of the pocket." But they are wrong. He has such long strides that he does look kind of slow. However, watch some highlights of him and concentrate on the guys trying to track him down...Pryor may look kind of slow but he absolutely flies out there and guys can't get an angle on him.

There are tons of examples on film, but from the last game he played, check the highlights at the 3:12 mark, 4:04, 4:10 and 4:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdLOH05lprw

Don't watch Pryor in the highlight, watch the defenders trying to catch him. He looks like he's just jogging but it looks like the Arky defenders are in slo mo in comparison. (this isn't to single out Arky, I was impressed with their team speed. it's like this vs. everyone.)

SolidGold
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Ohio state is renowned for having a fast track...take that for what its worth.

IMO Pryor is a Matt Jones clone...nothing more.

Halsey
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't care if Pryor runs a 4.2, if he doesn't significantly improve his passing, he's not NFL QB material.

Sniper
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Part of what makes Pryor look slower than he is is the fact that he's such an indecisive runner. He's fallen into the Donovan McNabb "I want people to think I'm not a running QB" school of thought that he looks tentative when deciding to run. This isn't a Michigan-Ohio State thing, but watch Denard Robinson when he decides he's running. There's no hesitation about it. Receiver is covered? Plant and go. Pryor almost looks like he's not sure what to do (though that's probably not far from the truth).

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Lot more to being a WR than just being fast. Like you said, Pryor doesn't look like he has the lateral quickness to get in and out of breaks like a WR should. He's big, but is he strong enough to get off of a jam (considering he's never done it before)? Pryor doesn't look anything like a WR to me. Maybe a TE, but no way is he every going to be a good enough blocker. If he doesn't make it as an NFL QB, he won't have an NFL career.

TP is a pure athlete, so I'm not going to say he can't successfully make the switch to WR in the pros.

No worries about a 6'6, 240# guy beating a jam from a QB. The question is whether he has the hands to catch a football consistently. With his measurables, IMO an NFL team will give him time to learn the position.

Sniper
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't care if Pryor runs a 4.2, if he doesn't significantly improve his passing, he's not NFL QB material.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42675

What happened between now and then?

bengalbuck
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Here's some more video proof. Check out the 3:15 mark. Just turns the jets on. Or look at the clip at 0:55 mark and concentrate on top 15 pick Brandon Graham trying to catch Pryor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdLOH05lprw

Other guys in this one video who look like their feet are stuck in concrete vs. Pryor include JJ Watt, Martez Wilson and Ryan Kerrigan.

Again, not saying he's going to be an awesome QB in the NFL, but people on this message board seem to drastically underestimate his speed. He is going to be one of, if not the #1 fastest guy, at next year's combine. I've believed that for a long time and Chekwa's time is further proof. He just ran a 4.33 and Chekwa and anyone involved with OSU will tell you Pryor is faster.

Halsey
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42675

What happened between now and then?

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

bengalbuck
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM

IMO Pryor is a Matt Jones clone...nothing more.

That has been the argument. However, Chekwa's times running on the exact same track were slower than what he just put up at the combine.....

Edit: By the way, OSU stopped testing on the "fast track" 5 years ago. They now test on an indoor surface identical to that in Indy.

Sniper
03-01-2011, 12:20 PM
"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

I was just curious. I remember you being pretty adamant about the guy's awesomeness in other threads, too. Glad to have you on the good side.

fear the elf
03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

The OP addressed this when he pointed out that Chekwa is slower than Pryor and just ran 4.33 at the combine.

Part of what makes Pryor look slower than he is is the fact that he's such an indecisive runner. He's fallen into the Donovan McNabb "I want people to think I'm not a running QB" school of thought that he looks tentative when deciding to run. This isn't a Michigan-Ohio State thing, but watch Denard Robinson when he decides he's running. There's no hesitation about it. Receiver is covered? Plant and go. Pryor almost looks like he's not sure what to do (though that's probably not far from the truth).

I think that's a fair assessment of Pryor.

For everyone talking about him being a WR, I'm not about his COD. That long speed means nothing if he can't get in and out of breaks. It will be very interesting to see what happens in a year.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I believe Terrelle is fast, but he isn't real quick in short areas and is frequently tackled one on one when he scrambles barely beyond the LOS.

Vick for instance, is fast AND quick. His quickness allows him to juke defenders in a box, and his speed can turn a broken play into 50+ yard run.

TP's athleticism doesn't pop on film that much to me, compared to someone like Newton.

Sniper
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
For everyone talking about him being a WR, I'm not about his COD. That long speed means nothing if he can't get in and out of breaks. It will be very interesting to see what happens in a year.

He's got pretty crappy COD skills and agility and his initial step is not that great either.

rawdawg
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
TP is a pure athlete, so I'm not going to say he can't successfully make the switch to WR in the pros.

No worries about a 6'6, 240# guy beating a jam from a QB. The question is whether he has the hands to catch a football consistently. With his measurables, IMO an NFL team will give him time to learn the position.

I know he will be physically bigger than any CB on Earth. But he's not used to getting hit in the mouth right at the snap. He'll get those gazelle legs tangled up on the line of scrimmage.

fear the elf
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
He's got pretty crappy COD skills and agility and his initial step is not that great either.

Yeah, I just don't see a position for him at the next level, which hurts me to say as an OSU fan/alumnus.

Sniper
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I just don't see a position for him at the next level, which hurts me to say as an OSU fan/alumnus.

At least one of the Buckeye grads on SWDC knows the difference between alumnus and alumni!

I've always intrigued by what Pryor could have done as a DE or 3-4 OLB.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM

When has anyone seen him workout doing WR drills??

Scrambling with a football as QB isn't quite the same as sinking your hips, planting and cutting as WR.

fear the elf
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
At least one of the Buckeye grads on SWDC knows the difference between alumnus and alumni!

I aim to please. :)

fear the elf
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
When has anyone seen him workout doing WR drills??

Scrambling with a football as QB isn't quite the same as sinking your hips, planting and cutting as WR.

I simply stated I don't see the needed change COD skills, nobody ever claimed to have seen him doing WR drills, thus concluding he cannot make the transition. It's all a personal projection based upon what we've seen in game situations. I understand the differences between the QB and WR position, but thanks for clearing it up.

JoeJoeBrown
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Agreed. The dude could be a beast of a runner if he committed to the run as soon as he takes off. Instead he looks like Big Ben always trying to find a guy at the last second.

If he lowered his shoulders and trucked people, it would be a thing to behold.

WRT his speed, he isn't the quickest guy out there, but he is quicker than the naysayers are giving him credit for. Between his great straightline speed, moderate quicks, and good strength, he is a hell of an athlete.

I don't know if he'll ever be a traditional starting NFL QB, but he would be a ridiculous Wildcat hybrid as a slot WR/HB/QB.

His biggest issue, IMO, is that he gets tunnel vision and panics when the pocket collapses. That does not bode well for the NFL, where you get 2.5 seconds to evaluate and commit to a decision. He has that much time and usually far more at OSU.

I'm no expert, but that is usually figured out by this point in a college QB's career. You either have the presence or you don't. He lacks composure in the pocket and when things go bad (you can see him having hissy fits on the sideline when he screws up).