PDA

View Full Version : QB Ranking 2011

FordFairlane
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
QB

1- Cam Newton QB Auburn
Though I do not like Newtons off the field shenanigans on the field he is a very good QB. He has a nice throwing motion, good accuracy, and an above average arm. He does need time to develop but he has the skill set to be an elite QB. His ceiling is very high but his floor is lower than some of the other QBs in this draft. Top 10 pick.
2- Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Mallett has a great arm, awareness, and probably the best accuracy in the draft. With his height he can see the field and he throws where the receiver should be or will be. He was in the running for Heisman and top pick after last year and all he did is improve on all his numbers. He has the highest floor of all QBs. Top 10 pick.
3- Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Gabert has the ideal size and arm to be a franchise QB. He put up decent numbers this year but nothing eye popping. In fact his best year is pretty average. But with his impressive size and arm people will over draft him. I feel he is at least three years from a starting QB so who ever drafts him better have a starter in front of him and a coach not on the hot seat. So unfortunately he will be drafted too early, started too early, and get his coach fired and probably never find another starting job. Gabbert has a very high ceiling and very low floor. First Round pick.
4- Colin Kaepernick QB Nevado
Colin is one of the most intriguing prospects at the QB position in a long time. He is a poor mans Cam Newton. But unlike Newton this kid should get a few seasons on the bench to refine his throwing motions and understanding of the game. I think for a team with an older starter that has the ability to take a chance he will be a steal in the second round. He has happy feet and will run a little soon but he does keep his eyes down field and can throw on the run. Low floor but High ceiling. Second Round pick.
5- Jake Locker QB Washington
Locker reminds me of Kyle Boller. He has all the tools with a rocket for an arm but is not accurate and is inconsistent. For a team that has time he would be an ideal second round pick to develop but I feel someone will take him too early and expect too much too soon and like Boller he will never develop a true understanding of the game. Very high ceiling but very low floor. Second Round pick.
6- Christian Ponder QB FSU
Ponder is a very smart QB with a great knowledge of the Xs and Os. He can move in the pocket and has good accuracy and touch on the ball. He does not have a cannon for an arm and is better suited in a west coast offense. If the right team drafts him he can develop into a very solid starter. He does have some questions about durability. High floor with marginal high ceiling. Third Round pick.
7- Greg McElroy QB Alabama
McElroy is a very accurate and smart QB. He does not have a great arm but makes up with knowing where to throw the ball on almost every play. I think in a west coast offense he might be a Matt Schaub type player. He will at the very least be a great back-up for a team. Will come in move the offense and not make a bad throw. He wont win the game but wont lose it for you either. In the right offense a very good starter. High floor with marginal ceiling. Late Round Three pick.
8- Tyrod Taylor QB VT
Taylor is a developmental project but what I like is he has a lot of potential with a big arm and has gotten better every single year. He also is very experienced at the college level. He reminds me of a bigger, stronger, better passing Michael Vick. Vick could not throw a ball to save his life at VT and in his first decade in the NFL really was learning to be a QB. I think Taylor is a minimum of a three year project. But if you have a starter and maybe a doable back-up stick this kid at the #3 spot and cross your fingers he gets to sit a season or two then push for the back-up spot and maybe a starting spot. He has a very high ceiling and very low floor. Fourth Round Pick.
9- Pat Devlin QB Delaware
Devlin has an above average arm with better accuracy. I feel the comparisons to Flacco are not warranted. Delvin has better accuracy and better wheels but Flacco had an elite NFL arm. That is not Devlins game. I think with some experience, coaching, and in the right system Devlin can be a starter in the NFL. But he most likely is a back-up. He has a marginal floor with an average ceiling. Fourth Round Pick.
10- Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
Stanzi has a ton of experience and put together a great senior season after marginal years before. He has good size, arm, and accuracy. He does throw the ball late and in the NFL if you wait until the receiver is open it is too late. He is smart though and if he can grasp the concept of throwing where the receiver will be open at I think he can become an NFL starter. Most likely he is a solid NFL back-up. High floor with below average ceiling. Fifth round pick.

Poz51
03-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Interesting rankings, but alas, this tread is a "Mock Draft" thread, wrong Forum dude...

wicket
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
and again you manage to screw up the location. I can get mixing up the nfl thread and the draft thread but the mock draft thread really is quite specific and outside of your posts really only contains one sort of threads.

FordFairlane
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
And again you do not have to read it. This forum has over 40 boards. I have just decided I will read my team board and the mock draft forum.

49erNation85
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
horrible rankings IMO. Newton ain't worth the hassell of being number one .

JaxJag_1
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Andy Dalton nowhere to be seen in your rankings.

Automatic fail.

no bare feet
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Andy Dalton nowhere to be seen in your rankings.

Automatic fail.

We get it you like Andy Dalton.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Pat Devlin is better that Tyrod Taylor in my view. Bigger ,under stands the passing game better. stronger arm.

Babylon
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
horrible rankings IMO. Newton ain't worth the hassell of being number one .

Nor talented enough to be number one.

shylo3716
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
QB

1- Cam Newton QB Auburn
Though I do not like Newtons off the field shenanigans on the field he is a very good QB. He has a nice throwing motion, good accuracy, and an above average arm. He does need time to develop but he has the skill set to be an elite QB. His ceiling is very high but his floor is lower than some of the other QBs in this draft. Top 10 pick.
2- Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
Mallett has a great arm, awareness, and probably the best accuracy in the draft. With his height he can see the field and he throws where the receiver should be or will be. He was in the running for Heisman and top pick after last year and all he did is improve on all his numbers. He has the highest floor of all QBs. Top 10 pick.
3- Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
Gabert has the ideal size and arm to be a franchise QB. He put up decent numbers this year but nothing eye popping. In fact his best year is pretty average. But with his impressive size and arm people will over draft him. I feel he is at least three years from a starting QB so who ever drafts him better have a starter in front of him and a coach not on the hot seat. So unfortunately he will be drafted too early, started too early, and get his coach fired and probably never find another starting job. Gabbert has a very high ceiling and very low floor. First Round pick.
4- Colin Kaepernick QB Nevado
Colin is one of the most intriguing prospects at the QB position in a long time. He is a poor mans Cam Newton. But unlike Newton this kid should get a few seasons on the bench to refine his throwing motions and understanding of the game. I think for a team with an older starter that has the ability to take a chance he will be a steal in the second round. He has happy feet and will run a little soon but he does keep his eyes down field and can throw on the run. Low floor but High ceiling. Second Round pick.
5- Jake Locker QB Washington
Locker reminds me of Kyle Boller. He has all the tools with a rocket for an arm but is not accurate and is inconsistent. For a team that has time he would be an ideal second round pick to develop but I feel someone will take him too early and expect too much too soon and like Boller he will never develop a true understanding of the game. Very high ceiling but very low floor. Second Round pick.
6- Christian Ponder QB FSU
Ponder is a very smart QB with a great knowledge of the Xs and Os. He can move in the pocket and has good accuracy and touch on the ball. He does not have a cannon for an arm and is better suited in a west coast offense. If the right team drafts him he can develop into a very solid starter. He does have some questions about durability. High floor with marginal high ceiling. Third Round pick.
7- Greg McElroy QB Alabama
McElroy is a very accurate and smart QB. He does not have a great arm but makes up with knowing where to throw the ball on almost every play. I think in a west coast offense he might be a Matt Schaub type player. He will at the very least be a great back-up for a team. Will come in move the offense and not make a bad throw. He wont win the game but wont lose it for you either. In the right offense a very good starter. High floor with marginal ceiling. Late Round Three pick.
8- Tyrod Taylor QB VT
Taylor is a developmental project but what I like is he has a lot of potential with a big arm and has gotten better every single year. He also is very experienced at the college level. He reminds me of a bigger, stronger, better passing Michael Vick. Vick could not throw a ball to save his life at VT and in his first decade in the NFL really was learning to be a QB. I think Taylor is a minimum of a three year project. But if you have a starter and maybe a doable back-up stick this kid at the #3 spot and cross your fingers he gets to sit a season or two then push for the back-up spot and maybe a starting spot. He has a very high ceiling and very low floor. Fourth Round Pick.9- Pat Devlin QB Delaware
Devlin has an above average arm with better accuracy. I feel the comparisons to Flacco are not warranted. Delvin has better accuracy and better wheels but Flacco had an elite NFL arm. That is not Devlins game. I think with some experience, coaching, and in the right system Devlin can be a starter in the NFL. But he most likely is a back-up. He has a marginal floor with an average ceiling. Fourth Round Pick.
10- Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
Stanzi has a ton of experience and put together a great senior season after marginal years before. He has good size, arm, and accuracy. He does throw the ball late and in the NFL if you wait until the receiver is open it is too late. He is smart though and if he can grasp the concept of throwing where the receiver will be open at I think he can become an NFL starter. Most likely he is a solid NFL back-up. High floor with below average ceiling. Fifth round pick.

Try 3rd Round

Babylon
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
^

I think that is good round for Taylor. I dont think he'll be a starter unless someone gets hurt but he'll be a valuable change of pace off the bench. Charlie Whitehurst was worth a 3 to the Seahawks and he's not even any good.

FUNBUNCHER
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I like this list, the top 6 are IMO rock solid, although I think Gabbert has a better than 50/50 chance to be the first QB drafted.

About Locker, I think he understands the game, but he needs to develop a much better feel for making throws from the pocket. In a scheme with better protection, or hot reads he can trust, I think he develops. I don't know if there's a more competitive in-game QB available, other than Newton.

Dalton is just underrated, and I'll be the first to admit the only two times I've ever seen him play were against Boise State in the BCS game last year, and against Wisconsin this year. Both times I've come away impressed with his game and never felt the moment was too big for him. Heady QB who makes the plays that are there.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2011, 05:07 PM
For some reason I still don't think Newton is going to be the best QB in this class.

Babylon
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
For some reason I still don't think Newton is going to be the best QB in this class.

I think he's going to have to work a lot harder at correcting his faults, he didnt look good at the combine throwing the football.

FUNBUNCHER
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I think he's going to have to work a lot harder at correcting his faults, he didnt look good at the combine throwing the football.

There's a reason why the top guys avoid throwing at Indy.

How many balls did Cam throw, 10-15?? Not really the best sample set. But yeah he did look erratic.

He needs to improve his accuracy, they all do, but I don't think it's a huge liability for him at this point.

I think Cam isn't selling himself during the interview process the way I thought he might.
Because he's been coached so extensively on how to answer interview questions, I've heard whenever Cam gets a query that he didn't expect, he blanks and struggles instead of speaking from his heart.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
tyrod taylor will 1 an NFL wide out, or 2 playing Qb in Canada.