PDA

View Full Version : Prince Amukamara...

JustDezIT
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
How did he look today in the drills? Better CB or FS as a pro? Where does he go?

I think he'll be the best DB in this class.

katnip
03-01-2011, 06:59 PM
He'll probably stay CB. I don't see the point of drafting a player possibly top-10. Just to switch his position. Unless a team really believes he can be a perenial pro-bowl saftey.

Oh and. NFL Network guys, Deion, Mayock were comparing him to the 'Phins Vontae Davis athletically.

Babylon
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Don't see him getting past the #11 pick (Houston)

katnip
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Don't see him getting past the #11 pick (Houston)

This for sure

JustDezIT
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think he goes 9 to Dallas.

Don't really like the V Davis comparison.

Also, how did LeGree look in drills?

katnip
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think he goes 9 to Dallas.

Don't really like the V Davis comparison.

Also, how did LeGree look in drills?

Yea. They were talking about athletically or body build. I forget which one

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Prince will still be a cornerback in 3 years. Peterson a saftey,therefore Prince wins. Prime said it himself Peterson is already 219 pounds. In 2 years with all that NFL $$$$ he should be 230 pounds.LOL Laron Landry skins saftey 6'1 220 4.35 cant play in space for nothing. Peterson is a bigger Ed Reed.

katnip
03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know. Peterson looks smooth on those punt returns. And I know its only a little sprint. But Peterson ran a 4.32, 40 I was watching on espn's sportscenter

wogitalia
03-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Peterson will be used similarly to Woodson if he ends up on a good/smart team. He will be put in places to make plays, at times that may be as a nickel, safety or pure corner because he has the ability to have an impact at all those spots.

Prince I think is a more pure corner who should be a very good shutdown guy probably without a huge amount of playmaking.

Iamcanadian
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Sanders didn't like Prince's technique at all. Said he wasn't a natural knee bender and was way too stiff in the hips. Said if he played like that at the next level, pro WR's would destroy him. It takes more than speed to play CB at the next level.
I think he has no chance to go top 10 now and even top 15 may be a stretch.

bam bam
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Prince sounded as dumb as a broken brick in his NFLN interview today

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Sanders didn't like Prince's technique at all. Said he wasn't a natural knee bender and was way too stiff in the hips. Said if he played like that at the next level, pro WR's would destroy him. It takes more than speed to play CB at the next level.
I think he has no chance to go top 10 now and even top 15 may be a stretch.
So Prince Amukamara doesn't do one drill well on one day and that completely erases all of that top 10 quality tape?

I don't think so.

Iamcanadian
03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
So Prince Amukamara doesn't do one drill well on one day and that completely erases all of that top 10 quality tape?

I don't think so.

You had to watch Sanders explain what it takes to play CB at the next level and then watch the CB's go through their drills. Prince didn't impress him at all, at least the drills I watched.
I think Sanders knows what it takes to play CB at the next level and he spotted serious flaws in Prince's game and if you watched the drills, you could see it yourself.
Of course they will use the combine observations to go back and review Prince's performance on tape and I didn't say he wouldn't be a 1st rounder only that I seriously doubted he would go top 10 or possibly even top 15 off of what Sanders observed.

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Do you think Prince is the type of playmaking corner who will get a lot of INTs?

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Do you think Prince is the type of playmaking corner who will get a lot of INTs?

Nope, I think he's the type that makes teams force the ball to the other side of the field.

Iamcanadian
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM

They talked about him a lot today and mentioned that he had zero interceptions as a senior, ditto for Jimmy Smith. Mayock said he watched plenty of film in games where they challenged these guys and they still came up empty.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I think at this point I would rate JJ Watt higher then him, at least for the Cowboys board.

I agree he seems more like a shut the field down more so then making plays on the ball. I like Prince, but CB is deep this year and I'm not sure I like him in the top 10, while a guy like Aaron Williams is going top 10 picks in the 2nd round right now. I don't think Prince is that good.

I didn't hear what Deion said, and it doesn't mean he can play but I love what Deion has to say about any CB prospect. Sounds like Prince just didn't look natural out there(I missed it).

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I think at this point I would rate JJ Watt higher then him, at least for the Cowboys board.

I agree he seems more like a shut the field down more so then making plays on the ball. I like Prince, but CB is deep this year and I'm not sure I like him in the top 10, while a guy like Aaron Williams is going top 10 picks in the 2nd round right now. I don't think Prince is that good.

I didn't hear what Deion said, and it doesn't mean he can play but I love what Deion has to say about any CB prospect. Sounds like Prince just didn't look natural out there(I missed it).
I agree with this sentiment. I honestly believe in 3 years Aaron Williams will be the better CB than Prince. Prince is not Top 10 material to me. I have yet to be convinced of it either.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree with this sentiment. I honestly believe in 3 years Aaron Williams will be the better CB than Prince. Prince is not Top 10 material to me. I have yet to be convinced of it either.
Aaron Williams looked like a safety, was stiff like a safety, and couldn't catch a cold.

Sounds perfect for the Cowboys secondary

Big Bird
03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Prince reminds me a lot of Carlos Rogers. Been thinking that for a while, and his superb Combine only helped show it. I tried to tell people the guy had a lot of explosive ability, but most just wanted to doubt him.

They have a similar skill-set though and both were dynamic, shutdown Corners in college. Vontae was raw coming out and let-up big plays. Prince reminds me of Carlos Rogers across the board, except he's even better.

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Aaron Williams looked like a safety, was stiff like a safety, and couldn't catch a cold.

I didn't see him perform at the combine, but is that the consensus or just your opinion? Either way, it's just drills. I've seen enough from him in games. He'll probably get burned more than Prince, but will make more plays too.

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Prince reminds me a lot of Carlos Rogers. Been thinking that for a while, and his superb Combine only helped show it. I tried to tell people the guy had a lot of explosive ability, but most just wanted to doubt him.

They have a similar skill-set though and both were dynamic, shutdown Corners in college. Vontae was raw coming out and let-up big plays. Prince reminds me of Carlos Rogers across the board, except he's even better.
Carlos Rogers is a career bust considering he was a first rounder who plays more like a 3rd or 4th. If Prince is the next Rogers, ain't no way in hell I draft him in the Top 10.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I didn't see him perform at the combine, but is that the consensus or just your opinion? Either way, it's just drills. I've seen enough from him in games. He'll probably get burned more than Prince, but will make more plays too.
It is my opinion, but when Mayock talked about him, he kept saying he should be drafted as a safety.

When Deion Sanders was asked about him in one word... safety.

He ran a 4.56 if memory serves as well. Now, to his credit, when I say he looked like a safety, that was partly as a complement. Nicely built shoulders that look like he could pop someone pretty good.

Iamcanadian
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Then, I don't think you watched him today, he was mediocre in the CB drills and got a lot of criticism from Deion Sanders. All he did was run a solid 40, in the drills, his technique looked weak.

Big Bird
03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Carlos Rogers is a career bust considering he was a first rounder who plays more like a 3rd or 4th. If Prince is the next Rogers, ain't no way in hell I draft him in the Top 10.
I really don't think Carlos Rogers has been nearly that bad...

SeanTaylorRIP
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Untrue my man, Carlos has been good his whole career. Problem is he has the worst hands and ball skills of any player to play the game. If he had INT's he'd be a pro bowler quite frequently. He's very solid in coverage and is a big time tackler. Much better corner than Deangelo Hall, just doesn't have the ball skills to be considered a top 15 corner.

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
It is my opinion, but when Mayock talked about him, he kept saying he should be drafted as a safety.

When Deion Sanders was asked about him in one word... safety.

He ran a 4.56 if memory serves as well. Now, to his credit, when I say he looked like a safety, that was partly as a complement. Nicely built shoulders that look like he could pop someone pretty good.
Hmm... sounds like it's more Deion's opinion and now you've just adopted it as yours.

The 40 time is not what I like to see in a CB, so maybe I need to change my opinion to your opinion that you got from Deion's opinion. lol. :D

D-Unit
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Untrue my man, Carlos has been good his whole career. Problem is he has the worst hands and ball skills of any player to play the game. If he had INT's he'd be a pro bowler quite frequently. He's very solid in coverage and is a big time tackler. Much better corner than Deangelo Hall, just doesn't have the ball skills to be considered a top 15 corner.
So you're saying you have selective memory???

hahaha jk ghetto. Fair enough. At the same token, please keep him around for a long time. That will please Cowboys fans greatly. :)

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Hmm... sounds like it's more Deion's opinion and now you've just adopted it as yours.

The 40 time is not what I like to see in a CB, so maybe I need to change my opinion to your opinion that you got from Deion's opinion. lol. :D

To be fair, it's the first opinion he's had that isn't Mike Mayock or Gil Brandt's.

dannyz
03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Prince came to Nebraska I think as a RB and only has played the CB Position for three years. If a good CB Coach gets him and coaches him up he could work on everything he has to and be a Shutdown CB.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I remember getting RIPPED on this board about a month ago for suggesting that Amukamara might get switched to safety in the pros

Now it's all good because Mayock and Deion said it might happen

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I remember getting RIPPED on this board about a month ago for suggesting that Amukamara might get switched to safety in the pros

I haven't seen where either suggested he could move to safety. Mayock loves him as a corner. IAC inferred that Deion did, but Deion compared him to Vontae Davis, so I'm not seeing it.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Prince will be a above average to good Corner in 3 years.

Peterson will be a pro bowl top 5 safety in 3 years.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Prince will be a above average to good Corner in 3 years.

Peterson will be a pro bowl top 5 safety in 3 years.

Why do you keep assuming Peterson will play safety.

Complex
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Mayock at the begining at the combine said he didn't know whether he was a corner or safety. At the end of the combine Mayock and Deion both said he was a safety. They said that Prince reminded them of Vontae Davis.

Patrick Peterson will be a shut-down corner for the titans. I believe that Peterson will have a Rod Woodson type career.

JustDezIT
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
They talked about him a lot today and mentioned that he had zero interceptions as a senior, ditto for Jimmy Smith. Mayock said he watched plenty of film in games where they challenged these guys and they still came up empty.

Smith was targeted 20 time this year.

Prince 33.

Don't know what the heck you're talking about.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2011, 11:04 PM

D-Unit has been talking about that for a long time as well and I was ripping him for it, for months now lol. My thing is, he's a top 10 pick potentially, doesn't have a history of playing safety, has the size of a CB, is fluid like a CB, I don't see why you'd mess with switching him going that high.

Also yes I understand alot of that applies to Peterson and he might change and go higher, but he's about 20lbs heavier if I'm not mistaken and there have been a bunch of times in games he didn't look like he had the best hips. He's a play-maker, has a knack for the ball in the air, makes sense for him.

I never understood it with Prince. Maybe he shouldn't play primarily man, maybe he should be more of a zone corner, but I never got the Safety talk.

PACKmanN
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
is this the same deion said the greatest of great things about Darius Butler...that turned out really well.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 11:31 PM
is this the same deion said the greatest of great things about Darius Butler...that turned out really well.
Anyone that had anything to do with PrimeU was a disaster

PACKmanN
03-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Anyone that had anything to do with PrimeU was a disaster

it doesn't take back the fact that he was wrong about Butler

JHL6719
03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Smith was targeted 20 time this year.

Prince 33.

Don't know what the heck you're talking about.

How many of those were in man coverage and how many yards per completion did they give up?

BigBanger
03-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Then, I don't think you watched him today, he was mediocre in the CB drills and got a lot of criticism from Deion Sanders. All he did was run a solid 40, in the drills, his technique looked weak.
Prince was not surprising today. I think he ran a little faster than people thought, but anyone who watched him for a single series on defense could tell that he plays high. He's pretty raw since he only has two years of starting experience. The thing he doesn't do, or hasn't gotten comfortable enough with, is to snap his head around on vertical routes and make a play on the ball. Often times he gets his head around too late, and he'll lose jump balls or back shoulder fades. He has solid ball skills in off coverage, but not in press coverage (which he played more press coverage his senior season than his junior season)That could be a result of limited experience (basically 2 years at CB). He's pretty raw with a lot of potential.

Grizzlegom
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Firstly, Deion said the best corner out there was Brandon Harris. To be fair, Harris, by far, looked the best in drills but we all know his game tape isn't nearly as good as Prince's or PPs.

As for the drills, Prince definitely played higher than I'd like but he was still smooth in transition. He's built like a RB so its a little harder for him to get real low but once he works with NFL coaches, I don't see that being an issue.

He addressed his lack of INTs from his junior to senior season as junior year he played off so he was able to read the QBs eyes and make better plays on the ball while senior year he was told to 'take the receiver out of the play' which he did rather effectively save for 2 plays against OK state.

Overall I think you are over-reacting a bit if you think his drills hurt him at all, regardless of what Deion says. BTW, Deion also said PP was too high in his drills (which he was), is he no longer a top 10 lock either?

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Why do you keep assuming Peterson will play safety.

Because even Prime Time thinks he is too big to play Cb. HE has great straight line speed. So did 6'6 235 pound matt Jones. Doesnt mean anything.
Peterson if he stays at Cb will be Q. Jammer of the Chargers. But if he plays Safety he will be a biggest version of Ed Reed.

He is 6'0 219 pounds now, in 2 years with all that NFL money he will ballon up to 231, 6'0 231 corner "child please".

FuzzyGopher
03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Why will he "ballon" up to 231 pounds? I'm certain you came up with that number based off of empirical research. That's a very precise number after all. And how can he be too big to play the position when he was the best corner in the nation last year? I get that you think he will be a safety, but you have yet to intelligently back up your theory with any evidence. Just saying "he will gain weight therefore he will be too big to play corner!!1" sounds ridiculous.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Why will he "ballon" up to 231 pounds? I'm certain you came up with that number based off of empirical research. That's a very precise number after all. And how can he be too big to play the position when he was the best corner in the nation last year? I get that you think he will be a safety, but you have yet to intelligently back up your theory with any evidence. Just saying "he will gain weight therefore he will be too big to play corner!!1" sounds ridiculous.

I watched the whole combine from saturday morning to tuesday at 5pm.

and on Tuesday Prime time said his #1 problem with Peterson is that he is already too big at 219 pounds. Prime went on to say in his career he came int othe league at 180 pounds and left it 205.

lets say Peterson gains even 5 pounds. 224 pound corner?
If he can do it more power to him. but i am not a blind fool. he has to show me he can be a pro bowl cb for 2 seasons first , then i will start drinking the cool aid.
people put to much hype and to big shoes to fill for the kids. People forget that average NFL starter was ALL American in high school and sometimes college. People comparing him to Charles Woodson lol who is a hall of famer. I mean come on people, lets see Peterson play 2 or 3 years in the league before people start calling him C-Wood.

Saints-Tigers
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
So should we never compare any college player to anything more than average pros? BEcause you only seem to have issue with it with prospects you don't deepthroat.

Del1sle
03-02-2011, 02:39 PM

and on Tuesday Prime time said his #1 problem with Peterson is that he is already too big at 219 pounds. Prime went on to say in his career he came int othe league at 180 pounds and left it 205.

If he can do it more power to him. but i am not a blind fool. he has to show me he can be a pro bowl cb for 2 seasons first , then i will start drinking the cool aid.
people put to much hype and to big shoes to fill for the kids. People forget that average NFL starter was ALL American in high school and sometimes college. People comparing him to Charles Woodson lol who is a hall of famer. I mean come on people, lets see Peterson play 2 or 3 years in the league before people start calling him C-Wood.

You're certainly not a deaf fool, all you've done is quoted Deion. Why can't he play corner at that size? Receivers aren't getting smaller, size would help. He has the speed to play at 225 and even so, why can't he LOSE weight? I'm sure he could just as easily get to 210 as he could 230.

FuzzyGopher
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM

So because Deion Sanders played at 205 pounds Patrick Peterson can't play at 220? I don't see why Peterson's weight matters, if he can play at 220 and be fast and fluid what is the problem?

dannyz
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
If what everyone is saying is True, Deion didn't think Prince or PP did good. Why are some people say well since Deion said Prince was a little high he will not be a top 10 Pick? He also said PP played high but everyone here is like it's alright. If think PP and Prince are on a level of their own followed by Jimmy Smith and lower Brandon Harris then everyone else.

Complex
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Deion said that Peterson was not as fluid as he liked but was still the best corner in the draft. He was also worried about Peterson going up to 230 pounds but later on said he surprise about how lean Peterson and was less worried about Peterson at 230

He said Harris was the best corner at the combine which he was during the drills.

He said Prince reminded him of Vontae Davis.

dannyz
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Deion said that Peterson was not as fluid as he liked but was still the best corner in the draft. He was also worried about Peterson going up to 230 pounds but later on said he surprise about how lean Peterson and was less worried about Peterson at 230

He said Harris was the best corner at the combine which he was during the drills.

He said Prince reminded him of Vontae Davis.

I know, but why are people like Deion said Prince is a little high or stiff and everyone goes "well he's out of the top 10"?