PDA

View Full Version : 33 picks.

descendency
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
1. Carolina - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
A rare kind of athlete at DT, Dareus could play either DT spot or maybe even LDE. He is a nightmare to block. I don't know that he will wow someone enough to take him #1 overall, but he definitely is one of the best DL at every line spot in the draft (RDE, LDE, UT, NT, etc). He fits any scheme at an above average level. The only thing that scares me is I feel that sometimes he could be a jack of all trades, master of none.

2. Denver - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
The Denver broncos are changing schemes. I don't really know if they have the personnel to play the 43. It is critically important that they find someone who can rush the passer and stop the run. Bowers may have to play LDE, but he can rush the passer from that LDE spot. He also could kick inside and play UT on 3rd downs if the new scheme called for it.

3. Buffalo - Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Do you know what would make Buffalo's young defense even more scary? A competent coach? a plan for their first rounders? Even better yet, one of the most dynamic athletes to ever play as a pass rusher. Von Miller has burst, he has COD, he has speed to chase... he will be an improvement over stud OLB Aaron Maybin.

4. Cincinnati - AJ Green, WR, Georgia
Carson Palmer doesn't want to play for the Bengals anymore. That leaves them with a few options. A) Draft the best player available (AJ Green/Patrick Peterson - Green fits more of a need) or B) Draft a QB. Since None of the QBs belong #4 overall, I'm giving them AJ Green who will replace T.Ocho next season. I considered Julio Jones here, but didn't want the earth to explode.

5. Arizona - Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
Speaking of players that don't want to play for their current teams, enter Larry Fitzgerald. If the Cardinals don't love a QB, they might opt to ship Fitzgerald out and have 2 picks in the draft (which ironically, the second could be used to draft a QB). Quinn is a monster pass rusher for a team that struggled in that area.

6. Cleveland - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Julio Jones is a running team's wet dream. While his hands may not be elite, his run blocking and deep speed are. He has size and skill to be an effective blocker in the NFL while adding that ability to pull the safety in his direction. The Browns need a legitimate weapon - and here Julio is.

7. San Fransisco - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The 49ers are taking person because he's the best player available, Jim Harbaugh will likely think he can coach up a QB, and Harbaugh isn't stupid enough to pass on a rare talent to reach for someone.

8. Titans - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
What have the Titans lacked since losing Albert Haynesworth? A lot. No one is face stomping, quitting on plays, only playing when he is due a contract, etc. Nick Fairley is a 1 gap penetrator who could play the nose. While some have him at #1 overall, I think there are better prospects in the draft than the one year wonder who plays wrecklessly at times. He fits exactly what the Titans need now.

9. Dallas - Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Dallas drafting a non-skill position may be shocking, but Doug Free is a free agent. Thankfully, Tyron Smith is built like a skill player. He's a physical run blocker with athleticism to be a pass protector. The only reason he doesn't go top 5 is because he played RT in college. He fits Dallas' needs though.

10. Washington - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
Blaine Gabbert is by far my least favorite QB prospect, but he fits what Mike Shanahan would want in a QB, except an emo attitude or a legendary college career.

11. Texans - Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
Too high? Maybe, but the other option is hoping someone lets a NT fall to you in the second round. Often called the most important position to the 34 defense, the Texans have two choices, hope for one later or fill it now. If they take one later, they could take Jimmy Smith to fill their horrible secondary or Aldon Smith to fill ROLB (neither of which they have). I chose Taylor though.

12. Minnesota - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
What team needs a QB? The Vikings. If you pass on a franchise QB, you deserve to be picking top 5 next year. Newton (but not top 3 or you might get a QB), who is a work in progress has a wide array of potential in the NFL, from Ben Roethlisberger to Vince Young to JaMarcus Russell. I like the Big Ben comparison (or as Brandon Meriweather would say... the big bang clock - google it).

13. Detroit - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Detroits defense sucks. I want to mock them an OT, but they don't feel they need it, so I will give them the BPA on defense.

14. St Louis - Cameron Jordan, DE, California
I want to give St Louis an offensive weapon. I can't reach for one though. Cameron Jordan will replace soon to retire James Hall.

15. Miami - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are set to be free agents. Mark Ingram is the best RB in this draft by far and belongs in the first round. He had the best 10 yard split of any RB. He has patience, vision, burst, and power. He has good hands with the ball. He's a top 10 talent at RB, but no running back belongs in the top 10 unless they are AP, especially now.

16. Jacksonville - Prince Amukamara, CB/S, Nebraska
What does Gene Smith see when he closes his eyes? 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18. PA is the BPA at this point too. He fits the Jacksonville player profile too.

17. New England (From Oakland) - JJ Watt, DE/DT, Wisconsin
This might stun you, but this would be somewhat of a break from Belichick's recent draft philosophy - Watt wasn't a captain on his team. Watt however also posted freakish combine numbers and has been called "the best 34 defensive end prospect ever." Since the Raiders gave this pick up for the best 34 defensive end ever, it is only fitting they replace him with it.

18. San Diego - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
San Diego needs to cut their losses on Larry English and draft an OLB that can actually rush the passer to replace Merriman.

19. New York Giants - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
I didn't know what to do here, so I took the best DL available. That seems to be how the Giants draft. It certainly has worked for them.

20. Tampa Bay - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Tampa Bay's new young DTs need some competent DEs to take pressure off of them. Clayborn is an excellent DE who can shed blockers like he's covered in butter. His "character issues" will be ignored.

21. Kansas City - Akeem Ayers, LOLB, UCLA
Tamba Hali can rush the passer. Mike Vrabel is a shell of his former self. What the Chiefs need is someone who can drop into coverage most plays, blitz off the edge occassionally, and be decent stopping the run. That's Akeem Ayers.

22. Indianapolis - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
Why haven't the Colts won more Super Bowls? Their OL can't protect Manning. They need a LT to block for Manning's blind side and hopefully to be an elite LT when they bring in a rookie QB to replace Manning in the next 7 years.

23. Philadelphia - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
Blocking for Mike Vick needs to be their #1 priority, or else they had better not trade Kevin Kolb. If they do trade Kolb, it is possible they could get a late first or early second round pick. So this may not be their only pick this round.

24. New Orleans - Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
Justin Houston is the best pass rusher available.

25. Seattle - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Perfect fit, now hopefully he just doesn't bust.

26. Baltimore - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
Flacco needs a real WR who can get deep. Ray Rice need someone who can get guys off of the LOS. Torrey Smith reminds me a lot of DHB (fast, can't catch) but he can actually run routes. I don't love this guy, but lots of people do so I'll include him here.

27. Atlanta - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
Atlanta could use an improvement at DE, but they could opt to take a high character guy and plug him in at RT. Carimi isn't a LT to me, but I doubt he has any trouble playing the right side (or Guard) in the NFL.

28. New England - Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
Logan Mankins wants out of NE now, Stephen Neal is set to retire soon, and Dan Connolly is nothing more than servicable at OG. With how good this team is, they could use a first round guard. Mike Pouncey isn't quite his older brother, but he's a great prospect who will fit the Patriots draft philosophy.

29. New York Jets - Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple
The Jets could use another pass rusher or a defensive lineman.

30. Chicago - Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
If they want to keep Jay Cutler healthy, the Bears may want to draft a starting class OT sometime soon. Derek Sherrod is a massive LT.

31. Pittsburgh - Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, TCU
Is this a reach? Maybe. Is this a need filler for the Steelers? Sure. Cannon can likely play RT, LG, RG, and maybe even LT in the NFL. At a well carried 350 LBs, this guy is a freak of nature and would fill a major need for the Steelers. If the Steelers want him, he will have to be taken here, because Dallas could opt to take him in round 2 since he fits their scheme nicely as well.

32. Green Bay - Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
What do the Packers need? Not a lot. Heyward has Aaron Smith potential, when he plays up to it. Hopefully the Packers can coach him up and get him to play like the player he is.

33. New England - Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Can't remember who said it, but someone on a forum said "If Brandon Harris doesn't go in the first round, the team with the 33rd pick should run to the podium with his name on the card". Well, there you go. Harris could play nickel CB (a massive improvement over butler/arrington) and eventually develop into a starting outside CB. This is sad for other teams, because it's purely the rich getting richer.

Babylon
03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Love the Locker pick, let him get here and we'll worry whether he busts or not.

Amukamura i think is a better fit for the Texans, i think they can get a nose tackle a bit later.

See what you did with the 33 picks, like Harris and Watt, not a big Pouncey fan as i'd probably go with Cannon or Wisniewski there.

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
So the Browns are going to use the 6th overall pick on the wide receiver's answer to Brandon Pettigrew? Julio Jones' deep speed doesn't do the Browns a whole lot of good when they might have the weakest armed starting quarterback in the NFL.

The Browns have to find 3 starters along the defensive line... everything but nose guard. Nick Fairley is sitting there and instead, you have him going to a team that has a fantastic up and coming Jason Jones at their 3 tech.

TNPatsFan
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
28. New England - Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
Logan Mankins wants out of NE now, Stephen Neal is set to retire soon, and Dan Connolly is nothing more than servicable at OG. With how good this team is, they could use a first round guard. Mike Pouncey isn't quite his older brother, but he's a great prospect who will fit the Patriots draft philosophy.

Not to nit pick or anything, but the Pounceys are twins and Mike is actually the older one. Anyway, good job on the Pats picks. I could see each one of those actually happening, and I'd be happy with it.

fenikz
03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Cards won't pass on PP and Fitz deff doesn't want to leave AZ

KCJ58
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Love the Rams pick

T-RICH49
03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Ayers is ok.would personally prefer Houston

OSUGiants17
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
yeah you clearly had no idea what to do with that Giants pick, next time check our 2011 NFL Draft thread in the Giants forum. Give us an OT or playmaking OLB to play opposite of Boley

49erNation85
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
MM such a sexy pick for SF!I just jizzed.

diesel
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Don't get too excited, Dallas will be trading up for PP, at the very latest with Cleveland.

Seasonticketholder
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Based on what's left on the board, this is very solid pick for the Saints.

Nalej
03-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Where's Ryan Kerrigan?

descendency
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Where's Ryan Kerrigan?

Oops. I knew I left someone out. I knew I was reaching for someone in the end.

Cards won't pass on PP and Fitz deff doesn't want to leave AZ

You're right. He doesn't want to leave. He just doesn't want the team to suck anymore, so he will threaten leaving unless they get better.

So the Browns are going to use the 6th overall pick on the wide receiver's answer to Brandon Pettigrew?

That's quite harsh to call him the Brandon Pettigrew of WRs. He's a legitimate offensive weapon, something Cleveland doesn't have outside of undersized Cribbs.

I guess that wouldn't be too hard to fix by just swapping JJ and Fairley though, since the Titans could use a man-child WR.

yeah you clearly had no idea what to do with that Giants pick, next time check our 2011 NFL Draft thread in the Giants forum. Give us an OT or playmaking OLB to play opposite of Boley

I actually had Antony Castonzo there before I moved him down because I wasn't sure exactly what the main need in NY was.

fenikz
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
that's more likely but still doubt he would ever say anything

prock
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't really want Cam. I like him, but I don't think we should take another running quarterback...

wonderbredd24
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
That's quite harsh to call him the Brandon Pettigrew of WRs. He's a legitimate offensive weapon, something Cleveland doesn't have outside of undersized Cribbs.
Cribbs did nothing this past season. Our offensive weapon was Peyton Hillis.

Whenever anyone tries to sell me on Julio Jones and they start with his epic blocking, the wide receiving version of Brandon Pettigrew is what comes to mind.

thebow305
03-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Ingram works for me.

akvikefan89
03-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Cannot see the Vikings taking Cam Newton over Amukamara.

LonghornsLegend
03-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Just curious, but who was calling Watt 1 of the best 3-4 DE prospects ever?

Razor
03-02-2011, 06:03 AM
I like this Patriots draft, but taking JJ Watt over Aldon Smith at 17 would make me a sad panda. It is, however, very realistic. Nice job, I love Brandon Harris at 33 even though I doubt that we'll stay in that spot.

descendency
03-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Just curious, but who was calling Watt 1 of the best 3-4 DE prospects ever?

Mike Mayock

DiG
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
10. Washington - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
Blaine Gabbert is by far my least favorite QB prospect, but he fits what Mike Shanahan would want in a QB, except an emo attitude or a legendary college career.

I actually don't think Gabbert really fits the Shanahan mold. He may have the athleticism but thats about it. At this point I think Newton and Locker are more likely picks than Gabbert if we go QB. If not than Prince or Cam Jordan/Watt would be other options based on your available players.