PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

BigJohn98
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
What is the the board's opinion on him? I was really, really impressed by him today. The guy showed amazingly fluid hips, good speed, and great ball skills. I came away very impressed from watching him perform today and I think he really helped his stock too.

Iamcanadian
03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
He looked really solid today and made himself a lot of money. I believe health issues are the only thing holding him back. Since we don't have access to those results, it will be a tough call.

Texas Homer
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I like him a lot as a coverage CB.

He has covered some really talented WRs in college(Dez, Crabtree, ect.)

He may not be biggest, but he hits hard and is freaky athletic.

I know that Texas lost to A&M this year, but I thought that Curtis did a pretty solid job against Fuller when Curtis and him matched up a few times in that game. Pretty solid considering that Fuller has 3 or inches on Curtis.

I thought that he looked really solid in the Sr. Bowl.

I haven't watched the combine yet today, but I heard that he showed nice in some drills. I'd guess 2nd-3rd round at this point.

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Here is Scott's scouting report:

Strengths:
• Ideal height and adequate bulk along w/ long arms
• Terrific speed and has a burst to close and recover
• Athletic with great quickness, agility and balance
• Displays fluid hips and nimble feet to transition
• Soft hands with great ball skills and body control
• Has excellent instincts, awareness and anticipation
• Is tough, physical, aggressive and very confident
• Will come up and get solid jam at line of scrimmage
• Capable of excelling in either man or zone coverage
• A willing tackler who will support against the run
• Will be able to contribute readily on special teams
• Durable w/ lots of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Frame is kind of slight with a thin lower body
• Didn't make a lot of impact plays in coverage
• Isn't a powerful hitter or much of a intimidator
• Not real strong and some trouble disengaging
• Struggled at times with cleanly fielding punts

Notes:
A two-year starter for the Longhorns but played extensively his first couple of seasons --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2010 --- Father, Aundray Taylor, played football at Oklahoma State in 1978 --- Uncle, Hosea Taylor, was a defensive end for the Baltimore Colts in the early-1980's --- Also excelled on special teams coverage units, often leading the team in tackles, and returned 14 punts for a 13.9 average and 0 touchdowns during college career --- Outstanding program pedigree and will try to follow in the footsteps of other Texas corners such as Quentin Jammer, Nathan Vasher, Cedric Griffin, Aaron Ross and Tarell Brown, just to name a few --- Was battle-tested against some big-time wideouts in college, including Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon --- Not flashy but possesses the physical tools, intangibles and well-rounded game to compete for a starting job at the next level.

Sounds much better then a guy who is projected late 2nd, mid 3rd round. I've always been a Curtis Brown fan, he's flexible in that he plays zone and man well, he's not lacking in either area, good size and speed, physical enough to play with the bigger WR's and hang with the smaller guys.

He's a very well rounded CB, he doesn't have that many glaring weaknesses but didn't have anything that is elite which is probably what's stopping him from going in the 1st round.

As I've said before I think he's got some of the best value right now if he last until the 3rd, he's a future starter and I can see him ending up being really solid for a long time, it's just alot of people don't see a "shut down" potential type of CB with him.

He reminds me of Samari Rolle for some reason though, could be way off. Big fan of Brown though, very high floor IMO and if you want to find a knock it's his ceiling.

ThePudge
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
He looked really solid today and made himself a lot of money. I believe health issues are the only thing holding him back. Since we don't have access to those results, it will be a tough call.

Character/intelligence seems to be another question mark. Still, Curtis Brown has some of the best feet, hips, and overall agility/fluidity in this class. His ball skills appear pretty good and he's a decent tackler. One of the best cover guys in this draft. I think he'll wind up in the Second or Third Round.

Clarkw267
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I'd be thrilled if the Lions went Quinn/Aldon Smith in round 1, and came back with Curtis Brown in the 2nd.

He looked like he was on another level during the drills with that 1st group of DBs.

Kslice28
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Well one thing is for sure, he's battle-tested. He's lined up against Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Ryan Broyles, Julio Jones, Jeff Fuller, and Justin Blackmon to name a few.

I've been following him since his junior year of high school (where he played on offense) and I would describe him as one of the most fluid and smoothest athletes I've ever seen. Great agility, balance, and vertical jump are also strong points.

As far as cornerback goes, there's a lot to like and some not to like. His length, vertical jump, and ball skills make for a great jump ball defender. He's one of the few guys I've seen beat Dez Bryant in a jump ball situation. He's slight, but he gives it his all and is pretty physical and a solid tackler. That said his size and strength can be a hindrance, especially when it comes to fighting off blocks. His speed and acceleration are good, but not world-class. He has good hands and can make things happen after picks. His biggest issues in coverage seem technique related. The majority of times he's thrown at, he's in good position to make a play on the ball, but often doesn't know where the ball is. An infamous example would be Crabtree's game winning catch in the 2008 Texas/Texas Tech game. He's right on top of Crabtree but doesn't turn around to find the ball. I understand many CBs have this problem, but it almost seems like he was being coached to face guard in college. He wasn't statistically the most productive CB, but he wasn't thrown at very much either.

I think he would be a good value anywhere in the second round. His potential at cornerback has yet to be reached, and he could turn in to a very solid starter in the NFL.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
He is a very smooth skilled Cb i think he will surprise and again he will still be a Corner in 3 years, While Patrick Peterson will be a pro bowl safety in3 years.

Complex
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
He reminds me of Samari Rolle aswell but I only watched a couple of his game.

Clarkw267
03-02-2011, 01:54 AM
He is a very smooth skilled Cb i think he will surprise and again he will still be a Corner in 3 years, While Patrick Peterson will be a pro bowl safety in3 years.

What is your obsession with posting something about Peterson being a Safety in every thread. Just down right silly.

Hines
03-02-2011, 07:49 AM
If the Steelers go OL in round 1, Curtis Brown is on my short list for players I'd want in the second. He could be a very good player in the Steelers' system and will allow them to play more man, which will help Ryan Clark and Troy.

Texas Homer
03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I resized these so they might be kind of blurry, but Curtis can jump too.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/CB4-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/cb3-1.jpg

RaiderNation
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Late 2nd-Mid 3rd. CB's always get over drafted because teams always need to reload on young talent in the secondary. Brown doesnt have great time speed, but I think he plays with speed on the field and will continue to develop his coverage skills.

GaMeTiMe
03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
He's a second-round pick unless Smith, Williams, and Harris all fall into the 40s. I don't see how teams from 50-64 in need of a corner would find a good enough prospect at another position to pass on him, the overall class isn't that deep. Those Longhorn DBs can play and there will be plenty of teams in the hunt for a corner in round two after passing in the first because of the depth at the position this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chykie Brown picked earlier than most expect, too.

P-L
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
He's a second-round pick unless Smith, Williams, and Harris all fall into the 40s. I don't see how teams from 50-64 in need of a corner would find a good enough prospect at another position to pass on him, the overall class isn't that deep. Those Longhorn DBs can play and there will be plenty of teams in the hunt for a corner in round two after passing in the first because of the depth at the position this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chykie Brown picked earlier than most expect, too.
I actually think both Browns are going to go before Aaron Williams, who was the most highly touted of the three originally. I'm thinking late 1st or early 2nd for Curtis, 2nd or early 3rd round for Chykie, and 3rd round for Aaron Williams. The poor combine is going to cause Aaron Williams to drop and I'd argue that both Curtis and Chykie have higher upside.

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I actually think both Browns are going to go before Aaron Williams, who was the most highly touted of the three originally. I'm thinking late 1st or early 2nd for Curtis, 2nd or early 3rd round for Chykie, and 3rd round for Aaron Williams. The poor combine is going to cause Aaron Williams to drop and I'd argue that both Curtis and Chykie have higher upside.

I personally still like Aaron Williams in the 2nd round range, but I've been saying since September I like Chykie Brown more then all 3 even if he's drafted the latest even when people were calling me crazy. Chykie has the highest ceiling and most pro tools to work with and if anyone emerges as a stud out of the group it'll be him.

nikkayeah
03-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I personally still like Aaron Williams in the 2nd round range, but I've been saying since September I like Chykie Brown more then all 3 even if he's drafted the latest even when people were calling me crazy. Chykie has the highest ceiling and most pro tools to work with and if anyone emerges as a stud out of the group it'll be him.

chykie is kinda stiff in the hips and he is already 24 y/o

Texas Homer
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Days old, but......

Pegged as a second- or third-round pick in the NFL draft, University of Texas cornerback Curtis Brown has attracted less attention than that of his teammate Aaron Williams, but we do have an update on which teams are doing their due diligence on him.

According to what a source has told Adam Caplan of Fox Sports, Brown has visits scheduled with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots, and is expected to have a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers as well. There are likely other teams interested, though no official reports yet in that regard.
--------------------------------------------------

I hope that the Texans take a look at Curtis as well.

Hines
03-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I think he's going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Just a hunch.

hitman
03-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Days old, but......

Pegged as a second- or third-round pick in the NFL draft, University of Texas cornerback Curtis Brown has attracted less attention than that of his teammate Aaron Williams, but we do have an update on which teams are doing their due diligence on him.

According to what a source has told Adam Caplan of Fox Sports, Brown has visits scheduled with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots, and is expected to have a visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers as well. There are likely other teams interested, though no official reports yet in that regard.
--------------------------------------------------

I hope that the Texans take a look at Curtis as well.
I wonder if they have Curtis and Chykie confused b/c these are the same
teams Chykie has workouts with. So I don't know if they mean Cu or Ch.

ellsy82
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I think he's going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Just a hunch.

He's not my favorite CB prospect. I'd rather have Brandon Burton or Curtis Marsh later. The Steelers just need an upgrade at slot CB. William ***, Anthony Madison and Keenan Lewis are all just warm bodies. None, and I mean NONE, have any coverage ability or awareness. The only redeeming quality about Lewis and Madison is they're special team demons. *** should have been cut 2 years ago.

ellsy82
03-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Curtis -> Can't see Detroit passing him up in the second unless they somehow get Amukamara in the first.

AntoinCD
03-30-2011, 02:40 AM
I personally have him as a mid-high second rounder at the moment and actually think that all 3 Texas CBs will be taken in the first two rounds. Not as good a college player as Aaron Williams and doesn't have the upside that Chykie Brown does but could well develop into a solid player in the NFL.

ellsy82
03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Chykie Brown is my favorite of the three. I guess we'll see where they end up. Williams would be a damn good safety, given a couple years.

AntoinCD
03-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Chykie Brown is my favorite of the three. I guess we'll see where they end up. Williams would be a damn good safety, given a couple years.

Chykie has definitely the most potential of the three but is by far the rawest as well. I want to see Williams get a chance to play CB in a defense that fits his abilities. He shouldn't be a guy who plays with an 8 yard cushion and tries to turn and run with the Desean Jacksons of the NFL. However put him in press coverage and allow him to cover bigger WRs and he could be a success. If he fails, as you said he would make a fine safety