PDA

View Full Version : Someone in Top 10 is Going to Fall

gpngc
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
... and the Titans may be the beneficiaries.

Here are the top picks in most mocks at this point:

Peterson
Fairley
Dareus
Bowers
Miller
Green

Of those six players, at least one will fall to Tennessee at #8.

For two reasons:

#1 - At least one QB will be selected in the top 7, especially considering the fact that 1,3,4,5 and 7 all could use QBs.

#2 - Someone always rushes up the draft boards right before the draft (most recent examples - Tyson Jackson and Trent Williams). Candidates this year include J.J. Watt, Julio Jones, and Prince Amukamara (especially if Peterson goes real high).

So of this group of the top non-QB prospects in the draft, which player is most likely to fall to Tennesse at #8 (or perhaps even farther)?

-Fairley was outperformed at the combine, has some question marks, and only played at like a top pick for one season - but boy was he special this year.

-Dareus didn't always play up to his potential but athletically he's incredible and he has shown that he can be truly dominant.

-Miller seems like a slam-dunk at #5 and it's tough to think CLE AND SF would pass on him if ARZ did.

-Peterson looks like the perfect prospect - but DBs don't usually go top-5. Still, even if he dropped to 7, he's perfect for San Francisco.

-Green could slip some due to the perception more than anything else. Some draftniks feel he's the top player in the draft but I'm not sure he's viewed as really THAT special by NFL teams.

-Bowers is the guy I usually have falling to #8 in my mock but that's probably me being guilty of out-of-sight-out-of-mind. Although, the "college sacks" angle is one that I noticed this season. Regardless, that type of athleticism/size/production usually doesn't fall to #8.

Who do you think falls? It's possible these guys go 1-6, but that type of chalk never happens in the NFL draft!

V.I.P
03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Who do you think falls?

Miller, because he's overrated.

Complex
03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Hopefully Patrick Peterson to number 8.

diesel
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that if PP falls to #6 Dallas will be on the phone. San Fran and others will shed tears as the Ravens did last year when we scooped Dez.

PossibleCabbage
03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I guarantee that one of the top 10 prospects will be available at #8.

703SKINS202
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
My thoughts exactly.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
The big dude from Auburn is going to drop like a rock. Fairley

Babylon
03-01-2011, 11:37 PM

Is that anything like 3 kids from 4 women?

LonghornsLegend
03-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Why no mention of Quinn? He's supposed to be in contention for the #1 pick according to a few sources, and if not for missing a season very well could have. I'd give him some mention, because he's a guy who could fall also if teams are afraid of him missing football.

Bostonblows91
03-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Why no mention of Quinn? He's supposed to be in contention for the #1 pick according to a few sources, and if not for missing a season very well could have. I'd give him some mention, because he's a guy who could fall also if teams are afraid of him missing football.

This exactly, If i was a Gm it might be a little heard for me to commit so much to a guy that didn't play this year.

Halsey
03-02-2011, 12:13 AM
There's no such thing as 'the top 10' until the picks have actually been made. Perhaps you meant "My top 10" or "Scott's top 10" or "Halsey's top 10". The wise choice would be mine. It's the bestest.

PossibleCabbage
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
There's no such thing as 'the top 10' until the picks have actually been made. Perhaps you meant "My top 10" or "Scott's top 10" or "Halsey's top 10". The wise choice would be mine. It's the bestest.

But regardless, whoever the ten best players to come out of this draft will be, the team who drafts #8 will have the opportunity to draft one of them. To suggest otherwise is silly.

descendency
03-02-2011, 12:19 AM

are you sure? There aren't that many top 10 prospects this year. I'm not sure if there will be one available at pick #8...

PossibleCabbage
03-02-2011, 12:24 AM
are you sure? There aren't that many top 10 prospects this year. I'm not sure if there will be one available at pick #8...

I'm entirely convinced that there are as many as ten top 10 prospects this year. Probably not more, but definitely not less.

Babylon
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm entirely convinced that there are as many as ten top 10 prospects this year. Probably not more, but definitely not less.

I would argue there are about 16 blue chip prospects not just the top 6 or 7.

shylo3716
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Question is who will move in the top 10 other then Julio?

descendency
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Question is who will move in the top 10 other then Julio?

Lots of people have JJ Watt in the top 10 now. I even think some may consider Tyron Smith top 10, especially if he kills it at USC's pro day.

But, for every player who goes into the top 10, 1 must fall out. Who are the 3 guys who's stock is falling that much?

PossibleCabbage
03-02-2011, 01:05 AM
I would argue there are about 16 blue chip prospects not just the top 6 or 7.

Sure, I can see that many blue-chippers (at least on draft day).

But I like to break it down as follows. There are three top 3 guys, five top 5 guys, ten top 10 guys, thirty two first rounders, and just over 64 day two picks.

bigfreak314
03-02-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm going to go off the wall and say out of the list of players you named that Bowers will be the one who falls, one year wonder, has a history of injuries, couldn't fully participate in the combine because of a knee injury, other DE's really put on a show at the combine, the lingering Gaines Adams comparisons.

BandwagonPunditry
03-02-2011, 04:35 AM

But I like to break it down as follows. There are three top 3 guys, five top 5 guys, ten top 10 guys, thirty two first rounders, and just over 64 day two picks.

Yuh. I can't believe you actually had to explain your original comment...

Iamcanadian
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
There are about 12 pretty solid looking prospects in this year's draft, if you get one, that team will be really happy.
I've never seen so many prospects capable of going #1 overall, that's how talented this draft is. So quite worrying about who Tennessee will get at #8, they are going to get a great player anyway it shapes up.

bam bam
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Is that anything like 3 kids from 4 women?

I did this, actually.

Siamese twins are great in bed. And apparently they are very susceptible to fertilization by my strong swimming seed.

kalbears13
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm going to go off the wall and say out of the list of players you named that Bowers will be the one who falls, one year wonder, has a history of injuries, couldn't fully participate in the combine because of a knee injury, other DE's really put on a show at the combine, the lingering Gaines Adams comparisons.

I can't believe this one year wonder stuff. You could say the same thing about Fairley and Quinn but for some reason it's only brought up with Bowers.

With the Browns switching to a 4-3, I think Miller is a bit undersized to play end. I see the Browns taking Quinn or Bowers over Miller.

Babylon
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I can't believe this one year wonder stuff. You could say the same thing about Fairley and Quinn but for some reason it's only brought up with Bowers.

With the Browns switching to a 4-3, I think Miller is a bit undersized to play end. I see the Browns taking Quinn or Bowers over Miller.

The biggest one year wonder of them all, Cam Newton, will probably have a lot to do with who falls and who doesnt.

Bostonblows91
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM

not ALWAYS true, there were only 31 in 2008

OzTitan
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
The Titans will probably end up being one of the teams bringing a unconventional name into the top 10.

JustDezIT
03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

....Did you read this over before you clicked submit?

Do you know how how....whats the word.... dumb this statement is?

Babylon
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
The Titans will probably end up being one of the teams bringing a unconventional name into the top 10.

Would Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker be unconventional?

JoeJoeBrown
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Actually, he was being very sarcastic. It's called humor, which is a great indicator of intelligence. I think you filtered yourself quite nicely to the sub 100 side of the IQ bell curve.

irishbucsfan
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM

...oh dear

DBNYDP
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I think Cabbage was making a joke Dez.

If Von Miller isn't grabbed by the Cardinals I think he slips. His value as a 4-3 linebacker has been overblown, as he really hasn't shown consistently he will be a stud in coverage. I'm not sure how well he'll play the run also. But really the thing is I think there are linebackers that are as skilled as Von Miller in terms of coverage/run defense, if not more skilled at this point as well, and these guys will be available in the 2nd/3rd. The thing that made Von Miller such a high pick and a special player is his ability to get after the QB, and frankly as a 4-3 OLB that will not be taken advantage of. Making him a fairly poor pick for any 4-3 team in the top 10.
Oh and I'm also not a huge believer of teams drafting 4-3 OLBs so high either...

FUNBUNCHER
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I think Cabbage was making a joke Dez.

If Von Miller isn't grabbed by the Cardinals I think he slips. His value as a 4-3 linebacker has been overblown, as he really hasn't shown consistently he will be a stud in coverage. I'm not sure how well he'll play the run also. But really the thing is I think there are linebackers that are as skilled as Von Miller in terms of coverage/run defense, if not more skilled at this point as well, and these guys will be available in the 2nd/3rd. The thing that made Von Miller such a high pick and a special player is his ability to get after the QB, and frankly as a 4-3 OLB that will not be taken advantage of. Making him a fairly poor pick for any 4-3 team in the top 10.
Oh and I'm also not a huge believer of teams drafting 4-3 OLBs so high either...

Make no mistake, Von Miller's stock is through the rough because off the edge he often appears unblockable, and he verified his elite athleticism at the combine.

His coverage and run support abilities are secondary. Important yes, but if he couldn't rush the passer like a madman, no one would really care about his other OLB skillset.

I think of the OP's top 7, Green and Bowers could fall the most. But I still think in almost any scenario Green doesn't last until 10 or 12, someone will trade up to get him.

If Bowers doesn't test 100% healthy before the draft, I don't think he goes top 10.

shylo3716
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I know Tennessee is QB-less but how does Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt & Julio Jones sound?

keylime_5
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I think Quinn needs to be in there with those 6 guys. Afterall he would probably be rated higher than Bowers had he played his junior year and at least had similar results to his sophomore year. I think Quinn would be the #1 overall pick this year if he didn't miss 2010, and he certainly would be right in the thick of the conversation at the very least.

Point is valid nonetheless, the Titans are gonna have a very good player fall to them.

Fred Savage
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I think Justin Houston could make a push into the top 10. It seems like every year the guy who makes a large and unpredicted jump into the top of the draft comes out of nowhere. Most people are naming players who are predicted to go top 15. Really all depends if a GM falls in love with a player or not.

Bucs_Rule
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
It looks increasingly like Cinncinati will say good-bye to Palmer and take a QB. Newton is more likely Brown type of player.

I expect Arizona will take Gabbert. Skelton is a 6th round QB who was medicore when he started, teams don't bank on guys like for the future.

Miller being a great 3-4 end will drop if Arizona goes QB.

OzTitan
03-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Would Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker be unconventional?

Locker perhaps. But it depends on where the stock is just before the draft.