PDA

View Full Version : Post Combine Mock

Razor
03-02-2011, 07:22 AM
This is just a quick mock, ie. no explanations given. If you do have a question or comment feel free to reply and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Business as usual, you all know the rules: Only constructive criticism is responded to. This mock was made pretty quickly so I might have left someone out that should have been there (Allen Bailey is not one of those, he's out because I don't see him going in the first two rounds). That's about it I guess.... Hate away, boys.

Notable free agent signings:

Kris Jenkins: Kansas City Chiefs

Jeremy Shockey: Carolina Panthers

Tommie Harris: Carolina Panthers

Nnamdi Asomugha: Detroit Lions

Clinton Portis: New England Patriots

Damien Woody: Buffalo Bills

Pierre Thomas: New England Patriots

DeAngelo Williams: Green Bay Packers

Randy Moss: New England Patriots

Terrell Owens: Cleveland Browns

LB Mathias Kiwanuka: New York Jets

Ray Edwards: Seattle Seahawks

Bob Sanders: Buffalo Bills

Round One
1. Carolina Panthers: Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

4. Cincinatti Bengals: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

5. Arizona Cardinals: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

6. Cleveland Browns: AJ Green, WR, Georgia

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT, USC

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

11. Houston Texans: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

12. Minnesota Vikings: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

13. Detroit Lions: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

14: St. Louis Rams: Cam Jordan, DE, Cal

15: Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

16: Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

17: New England Patriots f/Oakland Raiders: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

18: San Diego Chargers: Corey Liuget, DE, Illinois

19: New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

20: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

21: Kansas City Chiefs: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia

22. Indianpolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

23: Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

24: New Orleans Saints: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

25: Seattle Seahawks: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon St.

26: Baltimore Ravens: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (Fl.)

27: Atlanta Falcons: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

28: New England Patriots: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple

29: Chicago Bears: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

30: New York Jets: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

31: Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (Fl.)

32: Green Bay Packers: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

Round Two

33. New England Patriots f/Carolina Panthers: Mike Pouncey, OC/OG, Florida

34: Buffalo Bills: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

35: Cincinatti Bengals: Stefan Wisniewski, OC/OG, Penn State

36: Denver Broncos: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

37: Cleveland Browns: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

38: Arizona Cardinals: Ben Ijalana, OT/OG, Villanova

39: Tennessee Titans: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

40: Dallas Cowboys: Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA

41: Washington Redskins: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.

42: Houston Texans: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

43: Minnesota Vikings: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor

44: Detroit Lions: Rodney Hudson, OC/OG, Florida State

45: San Francisco 49ers: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

46: Denver Broncos: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

47: St. Louis Rams: Marcus Cannon, OG/OT, TCU

48: Oakland Raiders: Orlando Franklin, OG/OT, Miami (Fl.)

49: Jacksonville Jaguars: Ras-I Dowling, CB/FS, Virginia

50: San Diego Chargers: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt

51: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

52: New York Giants: Mason Foster, OLB, Washington

53: Indianapolis Colts: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

54: Philadelphia Eagles: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech

55: Kansas City Chiefs: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

56: New Orleans Saints: Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt

57: Seattle Seahawks: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

58: Baltimore Ravens: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona

59: Atlanta Falcons: Titus Young, WR, Boise State

60: New England Patriots: Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

61: San Diego Chargers f/New York Jets: Jabaal Sheard, OLB, Pitt

62: Chicago Bears: Jurell Casey, DT, USC

63: Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson

64: Green Bay Packers: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada

jrdrylie
03-02-2011, 08:02 AM
You got the positions right for the Bears, but Phil Taylor is not a fit in the Bears defense.

GoRavens
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
lol @ the pats resigning moss and LMAO at deangelo going to Green bay.

Razor
03-02-2011, 08:20 AM
You got the positions right for the Bears, but Phil Taylor is not a fit in the Bears defense.

Yeah, I know... I didn't really like the value of the remaining O-linemen and I really liked the value of Phil Taylor. It's not that I don't think he can succeed in the scheme you run, but it's definetely not a natural fit.

prock
03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
You have the Vikings taking Mallet and Gabbert.

49erNation85
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I'll take the 9ers pick!

luckyjackaubrey
03-02-2011, 08:42 AM
You are still a Pat's fan correct? I'm throwing up in my mouth over all three FA signings....Please dont let those come true.

Razor
03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
You have the Vikings taking Mallet and Gabbert.

**** me.... Sorry about that. Changed the pick to Phil Taylor to replace Phat Williams. Hope that's fine by you. Instead the Chicago Bears now take Jurrell Casey which is a slight reach, but a much better fit. Mallet drops from out of the second round since I don't see any of the teams on the board in the remainder of the second round that would be willing to gamble on greatness with Mallet.

Razor
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
You are still a Pat's fan correct? I'm throwing up in my mouth over all three FA signings....Please dont let those come true.

Not what I'd call a constructive response, but since you're a Pats fans I'll cut you some slack. I like Moss. When healthy and motivated I still think he can be an effective receiver. He'd also be a great mentor to the younger receivers. Love him or like him, he didn't do anything stupid before he started worrying about his contract. I could see BB bringing him in on a one-year deal at a low cost. Moss wants a ring and he still has friends in NE. Portis is nearing 30 and is prone to injury. So what? In a comitee like the one NE has he can find a role and be effective. NE almost traded for Pierre Thomas before the trade deadline. He's very underrated imo, very powerful runner who catches the ball well. He's a great fit in our offense. NE should be in the market for two, maybe three, runningbacks this offseason. DeAngelo Williams is probably out of our price range so I don't see that happening. I knew that the Moss signing would be controversial, but the other two makes a lot of sense imo.

CheeseKnuckles
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
The Packers had 4 TEs on their roster last year. Finley went down and the two rookies were able to compete and Donald Lee was... well there. With Finley returning and both rookies expected to be better players next year... a first Rd TE is not happening.

Razor
03-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The Packers had 4 TEs on their roster last year. Finley went down and the two rookies were able to compete and Donald Lee was... well there. With Finley returning and both rookies expected to be better players next year... a first Rd TE is not happening.

I really disagree about the bolded part. I really like Finley and TEs is by no means your biggest need. But Quarless and Crabtree didn't show me enough to convince me that they can be much of a factor in NFL. As Super Bowl Champions and a team without a clear cut top need you can afford to take the best player available. Heck, your GM said that you SB was a results of drafting BPA iirc. Rudolph is BPA on my board right there so that's why I took him. I also couldn't stop thinking about the success the Patriots had with two TE sets last year. NFL is a copycat league, even if you're the defending champion. This would also help out your running game, especially with Grant coming back. I think we as fans have a tendency to think more of the young players' abilities on our favorite teams than we should. I certainly do it when it comes to some young Patriots and I think you're doing the same thing about Quarless and Crabtree.

DiG
03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
i could dig this skins draft although i think taylor might get the nod over heyward. either though would be fine with me.

fear the elf
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm fairly certain the Browns won't sign TO.

Those guys in the league that have had issues, those guys are going to be tough for us to mess around with.

He saw what TO was all about in Philly, why **** with that again?

Razor
03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm fairly certain the Browns won't sign TO.

He saw what TO was all about in Philly, why **** with that again?

That's a very good point. Thanks.

Nalej
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd be completely okay with that Pats mock.
Only thing is, I kept hearing how A.Smith looked like he couldn't handle OLB duties after his drills on the combine.
Looks more like a 43 DE
I thought J.Houston looked better than expected and showed that he could handle that job, especially since he played in in college (though all he did was rush the passer)
Missing out on Kerrigan blows.

My two cents

edit: P.Thomas got tagged with a 2nd round tender. Not sure if that'll mean anything with the new CBA but just something I remember seeing on NFLN

coordinator0
03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Hankerson might be a reach in the first, but I'll take him and Reed with the first two picks any day. That would be outstanding.

CheeseKnuckles
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I really disagree about the bolded part. I really like Finley and TEs is by no means your biggest need. But Quarless and Crabtree didn't show me enough to convince me that they can be much of a factor in NFL. As Super Bowl Champions and a team without a clear cut top need you can afford to take the best player available. Heck, your GM said that you SB was a results of drafting BPA iirc. Rudolph is BPA on my board right there so that's why I took him. I also couldn't stop thinking about the success the Patriots had with two TE sets last year. NFL is a copycat league, even if you're the defending champion. This would also help out your running game, especially with Grant coming back. I think we as fans have a tendency to think more of the young players' abilities on our favorite teams than we should. I certainly do it when it comes to some young Patriots and I think you're doing the same thing about Quarless and Crabtree.

Rudolph might be BPA, but TT has also shown that he likes to build his guys. J Finley didn't look very good in his first season and really didn't start to come into his own until last season. I think the Packers are expecting the same with Quarless. Also Crabtree was our best blocking TE, which isn't much to say, but he'll get better. IMO TT has shown he likes to build with what he has and right now I think he has what he wants at TE.

Don't get me wrong Rudolph would be an upgrade over Crabtree for sure and probably Quarless, but I think they can go else where.

TimmG6376
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM

I'd agree on Crabtree; probably never anything more than a 3rd string blocking TE and special teamer, but I disagree on Quarless. I actually think that he's ahead of the curve when it comes to TEs in our offense. He produced more than Finely did when pressed into action as a rookie. His rookie year (Finely) was pretty awful. He made a huge jump in his second year. I recognize that Quarless will most likely never be close to what Finely brings to the table but when healthy there aren't many other TEs in the league that are. I think he'll be an excellent 2nd TE and definitely good enough to pass on Rudolph for a position of more need.

thebow305
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I love it when we don't sign anyone. :/

Mark Ingram is good though.

killxswitch
03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Danny Watkins is a great round 2 pick but Nate Solder is a waste of time for any time that needs him to start in the next two years. Carimi or Sherrod at #22.

proshoota25
03-03-2011, 02:27 AM
id be totally happy with the draft.

marshallb
03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Gabbert would be great and Phil Taylor would be ok, but I'd prefer Marcus Cannon there to rebuild our once great OL which is now mediocre.
I'd also be very happy with going with Bowers in the 1st and Mallett in the second. Bowers would be a great value and would be great opposite Jared Allen with Edwards likely leaving as you have projected. I'm still very high on Mallett and would be very happy with taking him in the second.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Love the Skins draft think Heyward will be a stud, btw Bowers aint dropping to 13.

bucsti25
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Houston over Clayborn and Foster over Carter....

TNPatsFan
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
It's not so much the picks you made for the Pats that I question as it is the free agent signings. I'd be very surprised if any of those happened.

GB12
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm sorry, but that's still stupid. We have one of the best tight ends in the game, and he's only 23. There's no possible way to justify taking a TE in the first round. So what if you don't like our other tight ends, it doesn't matter. They're our backups, and decent enough backups. You don't spend a first round pick on a backup TE, that's insanely stupid. Thompson may take the best player on his board, but his board is adjusted for need. If Rudolph was there at our second round pick we'd probably take him because of his value, but there's no way we have a tight end in our top 32 players. And I don't give a **** what the Patriots did. We don't run double tight sets and certainly aren't going to waste a first round pick on a tight end so we can. He wouldn't do anything to improve our running game either. Our running game was bad because 1. we lost Ryan Grant and 2. we didn't get enough push with our offensive line. Our run blocking from tight ends wasn't ever a problem really. And I'm not so sure Rudolph even is a better run blocker than Crabtree, if he is it's not by much. As for the passing game, we have Finley, Jennings, Driver, Jones*, and Nelson, all of which are better receivers than Rudolph. He would never see the field.

Razor
03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
It's not so much the picks you made for the Pats that I question as it is the free agent signings. I'd be very surprised if any of those happened.

Obviously the Pierre Thomas signing isn't going to happen now that he's tendered at a second round level. Portis still has something left in the tank, he's just prone to injury. I think I explained the Moss signing in another post so I won't go into details about that again. I decided to have the Patriots be aggressive in free agency because we have such a young team right now. BB knows this and understands the value of veterans which is why I fully expect him to go after quite a few vets in free agency. Hell, he already signed Stroud who is way past his prime.