PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Franklin [Miami] Climbing?

JohnCandy
03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Is Orlando Franklin a player that is climbing draft boards?

At 6'6" 316lbs. with 35" arms and 26 [225], 5.2 [40], 28.5" Vertical he has everything you look for as a top OG prospect.

He looked out of place at LT for the Hurricanes, but could he be a 2nd round OG prospect?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0ZxKZ2zpzUk/TOYAeXVtjbI/AAAAAAAAAW4/f5fY2rpyJ1s/s1600/ncf_i_franklin_400.jpg

Iamcanadian
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
You are right on, he is a decent OG prospect. How high he goes is questionable. Probably round 3 or 4 where most OG's get picked. I don't think he is special enough to go in round 2.

JohnCandy
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
You are right on, he is a decent OG prospect. How high he goes is questionable. Probably round 3 or 4 where most OG's get picked. I don't think he is special enough to go in round 2.

With the physical make up and the fact that he has extensive experience at LT could make him a 2nd round pick.

Apparently his junior tape at LG is incredibly impressive and he was not as impressive at LT.

JohnCandy
03-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Who is a better prospect between him and John Jerry from last year?

or

Franklin and Vlad Ducasse?

Jakey
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Who is a better prospect between him and John Jerry from last year?

or

Franklin and Vlad Ducasse?

In terms of pure guards, John Jerry wins out.

But id rank him on par with Ducasse from last year as a OG/RT type prospect.

Jakey
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
QLXxk9cUtqA&playnext=1&list=PL501CE68CDA050A64

Looks pretty damn good at LG, pretty average at tackle.

TimmG6376
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
So you guys think he is strictly an OG prospect, not even RT?

Jakey
03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Watch the second video of that playlist i just posted, he plays some RT there...not the biggest sample of plays to look at, but he didnt look too good in them.

TheFinisher
03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought he actually surpassed expectations for the Canes at Tackle at the beginning of the season before he caught the injury bug. I think he can play RT in the NFL and some team is gonna get a steal if he falls to the 3rd.

JohnCandy
03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Last Sunday the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a draft preview where they compiled quotes from 6 different NFL team scouts. Several said that they thought that this guy was a better prospect than Carimi and Castanozo. His drawbacks were that he is not consistant or smart. But they thought he had all the tools, and great upside.

JohnCandy
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
These are from a piece Bob McGinn does every year on the draft for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

O Franklin-" I think he's better than Castonzo." another scout said "top 50 or 60 player, better than Carimi, more physical and athletic.

JohnCandy
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Watch this highlight tape, and I know it is highlight tape, of him playing OG. This is some physical tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXxk9cUtqA

Iamcanadian
03-05-2011, 10:27 AM

He showed in the post season that he doesn't have the feet to play OT in the NFL. He is strictly an OG at the next level and isn't rated among the top OG's either.

JohnCandy
03-05-2011, 11:03 AM
He showed in the post season that he doesn't have the feet to play OT in the NFL. He is strictly an OG at the next level and isn't rated among the top OG's either.

You seem to be the only person that is down on him?

Jakey
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
You seem to be the only person that is down on him?

Im not down on him at all, i think he will be a great player...but more than likely at guard. He could beast at RT too, im just not completely sold on that yet.

JohnCandy
03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Im not down on him at all, i think he will be a great player...but more than likely at guard. He could beast at RT too, im just not completely sold on that yet.

I think he is the type of guy that is not ranked highly on websites and by the internet pundits, but is much higher on NFL boards.

He is big, physical and reasonably athletic which NFL teams want in young OLmen.

SenorGato
03-05-2011, 12:09 PM

He's pretty much a prototypical LG prospect buuuuuuut....I wouldn't rule out RT at his age...LT might be a stretch but if some guy like McKinnie can hold that down for years then who knows...still I love guys like this at LG.

Hurricanes25
03-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Teams are going to like his versatility. He can play OG and RT. IMO, I think OG is his best fit but a lot of people have different opinions on that.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Watch this highlight tape, and I know it is highlight tape, of him playing OG. This is some physical tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXxk9cUtqAI agree. He looks like a solid 2nd rounder to me, maybe even high round 2.

etk
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Is there any Miami player that you don't hate on? We've been through this before with Kenny Phillips, Calais Campbell, etc. and you're wrong every time.

Franklin has the feet to be a RT in the NFL. He just lacks experience and technique. He's much more natural in pass pro than Gabe Carimi, for example, but Carimi is more dominant in the run game.

JohnCandy
03-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Is there any Miami player that you don't hate on? We've been through this before with Kenny Phillips, Calais Campbell, etc. and you're wrong every time.

Franklin has the feet to be a RT in the NFL. He just lacks experience and technique. He's much more natural in pass pro than Gabe Carimi, for example, but Carimi is more dominant in the run game.

I will go as far to say that a team that passes the ball a lot will take a long look at him at LG.

Physically I think he can play some OT, but that nasty attitude and physical size/power would look very nice at LG.

Iamcanadian
03-05-2011, 06:34 PM
I think he is the type of guy that is not ranked highly on websites and by the internet pundits, but is much higher on NFL boards.

He is big, physical and reasonably athletic which NFL teams want in young OLmen.

Mayock said during the Combine after seeing him workout that he is strictly an OG with his slow feet. You may not want to believe it but I agreed with him.
He's a late 2nd rounder, possibly a third or 4th rounder if he slides a bit, and has a decent chance as an OG but has a ways to go.
I think he has a real shot but is still not among the top 5 OG/OC on Mayock's ranking.

katnip
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Mayock said during the Combine after seeing him workout that he is strictly an OG with his slow feet. You may not want to believe it but I agreed with him.
He's a late 2nd rounder, possibly a third or 4th rounder if he slides a bit, and has a decent chance as an OG but has a ways to go.
I think he has a real shot but is still not among the top 5 OG/OC on Mayock's ranking.

This. I remember this past season vs Pittsburgh. Sheard (DE) beat him off the snap a few times at RT

Black Bolt
03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
He's pretty much a prototypical LG prospect buuuuuuut....I wouldn't rule out RT at his age...LT might be a stretch but if some guy like McKinnie can hold that down for years then who knows...still I love guys like this at LG.

The bottom line is that he could possibly be an average RT, but he could be a great OG with his ability to get movement on the defense.

cajuncorey
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
big
strong
good measurables
canadian

hes a 2nd rounder on my boards

JohnCandy
03-08-2011, 10:59 AM
big
strong
good measurables
canadian

hes a 2nd rounder on my boards

From the buzz that has been building and the good performance at the combine I would not be shocked it Franklin made a run at 29-40.

In a draft filled with finesse OLmen [Solder, Sherrod, Smith, Costanzo] some team looking for a power RT or LG will take a long look at Franklin.

From what I have read about his work ethic and attitude it seems like a guy who has a low floor and little chance of busting.

etk
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
This. I remember this past season vs Pittsburgh. Sheard (DE) beat him off the snap a few times at RT

That was by far his worst game. Going by that logic, Brandon Harris should be a safety because he couldn't cover Michael Floyd. Every prospect we have in this draft had multiple bad games this year (except Harris who had 1).

Iamcanadian
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
That was by far his worst game. Going by that logic, Brandon Harris should be a safety because he couldn't cover Michael Floyd. Every prospect we have in this draft had multiple bad games this year (except Harris who had 1).

No they didn't, they may have had a play or 2 go wrong but overall, they rarely had a truly bad game if they expect to go in round 1. Harris was destroyed by Floyd which will likely drop him to round 2. Still a solid prospect who has lots of upside.

Hurricanes25
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
No they didn't, they may have had a play or 2 go wrong but overall, they rarely had a truly bad game if they expect to go in round 1. Harris was destroyed by Floyd which will likely drop him to round 2. Still a solid prospect who has lots of upside.

Peterson did not play well against Green and Prince was terrible against Blackmon. Are they dropping out of the first round too?

etk
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Your logic is extremely flawed. Brandon Harri's body of work shows a quick, instinctive corner who can cover on the outside or in the slot as a nickel. It also shows a willing hitter who can blitz out of the nickel like Ronde Barber. He has great character. He'll be a 1st round pick.