PDA

View Full Version : Seattle - Hasselbeck - #25

RWills
03-03-2011, 08:30 AM
If they don't come to an agreement and he leaves. I am wondering if Petey they players coach will gamble with Mallett or Ponder at #25. I think he can work with Mallett with his calm laid back style with the players. I don't think Mallett can take a coach like Coughlin or a Gruden...he still is top 15 talent. Ponder would be a reach but QB's value rises and I think he distanced himself between Kaepernick and Dalton.

What do you guys think?

49erNation85
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Good point though really.If old hasselback leaves then they really don't have a day one starting QB.They will most likely take one in round one if Mallet is there .If not wait until second round IMO.Or if by some reason Locker falls to them or they try and trade up.

RWills
03-03-2011, 08:39 AM
I was thinking Locker as well, but I can see him in either Washington, Minny and/or Jax.

Heck come draft day I can see as high as Tenn is Gabbert and Newton go in the first 5 picks.

FootballGod
03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Why go with any of the rookies when you can get Carson Palmer with your pick? Carson is better and will be better than any of the rookies in this years draft class for the next 4 years.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I've been thinking lately Locker is starting to look attractive for that pick. I don't think he makes it to the 2nd round and this is about where his value is.

RWills
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Locker go to Jax, his character fits what that team is doing and can sit for a year

Babylon
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
To listen to local sports radio around Seattle the fans are pretty much unanimous that they want Matt back. Fact is he's near over the hill and they arent going to the Supebowl with Matt Hasselbeck.

I think they could bring in a Donovan Mcnabb or a Carson Palmer but hard to say how much tread is left on those tires.

In a perfect world they probably resign Matt for two years and draft a young QB to learn from the master (figure of speech). Then in year two the new guy takes over and Hasselbeck becomes the QB coach (sort of speak).

Pete Carroll seems to do things a little differant than what others think so when anyone finds out what's up please let me know.

SolidGold
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Mallet will end up in Seattle. Carrol seems to take some risks..he brought in Mike Williams and that worked out, Lendale White washed out, Marshawn Lynch played well.

Mallet could sit for a year or two if they resign Hasselbeck. Even if Hasselbeck is gone, Whitehurst could be a decent stop gap.

Caulibflower
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I am going to be seriously pissed if we take Mallett in the first. Hasselbeck was terrible when under pressure last year (which was a lot) and Mallett's pocket presence is even worse. With Locker, I'd at least feel like we have a guy who has a chance if the protection breaks down. I don't think Mallett really has that much on Locker in terms of accuracy, and Locker has superior athleticism, improvisational skills, and work ethic. Really don't want Mallett.

Cicero
03-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I am going to be seriously pissed if we take Mallett in the first. Hasselbeck was terrible when under pressure last year (which was a lot) and Mallett's pocket presence is even worse. With Locker, I'd at least feel like we have a guy who has a chance if the protection breaks down. I don't think Mallett really has that much on Locker in terms of accuracy, and Locker has superior athleticism, improvisational skills, and work ethic. Really don't want Mallett.

Agreed. I want absolutely nothing to do with Mallet. Mallet has feet of stone, cocaine problems, bad pocket presence, and he makes too many Farve-like throws that just leave you scratching your head. I'm not getting behind this guy as my QB.

Hasselbeck played the game of his life against the Saints sure but that doesn't excuse his terrible performances the rest of the season or change the fact that he's declining. He's washed up and we need to get some young blood at the QB position NOW.

bigfreak314
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
This pick screams Locker, the staff should have plenty of opportunity to study him. With Hassleback coming back he can developed slower to make sure he is ready before thrown into the fire. Let him sit and watch and let Whitehurst go in if Matt gets killed behind that line.

SolidGold
03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't think Locker makes it to 25. It would be cool if he did though, Seattle would have their local kid at QB.

RWills
03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Between Tenn, Wash, Minny, Miami and Jax one of those teams will like him enough. QB's always go higher

superpack84
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I think even if Hasselback comes back to the Seahawks this year, I still think they could end up drafting a QB to seat for a year and learn the offense.

nepg
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Clipboard Jesus would do well as the starting QB if they can't come to terms with Hasselbeck. They really want Hasselbeck back, but I don't think him returning or not has any affect on their first round pick.

asdf1223
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
If any one of the top 4 qb's are on board they have to take them. Hasselbeck looked terrible in the regular season and Whitehurst looked worse. I cant see them trade up though, they dont have a 3rd round pick and unless theres a new CBA you cant trade players or future picks. No team after Jacksonville at 16 needs a QB so if one falls beyond them they'll wait for one. If they dont get a QB, they'll take a Guard. They need help there immensely and having been taking to every possible Guard at both the senior bowl and the combine.

Babylon
03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
If any one of the top 4 qb's are on board they have to take them. Hasselbeck looked terrible in the regular season and Whitehurst looked worse. I cant see them trade up though, they dont have a 3rd round pick and unless theres a new CBA you cant trade players or future picks. No team after Jacksonville at 16 needs a QB so if one falls beyond them they'll wait for one. If they dont get a QB, they'll take a Guard. They need help there immensely and having been taking to every possible Guard at both the senior bowl and the combine.

That 17-19 area is probably where teams like the Pats, Chargers and Giants probably will look to trade back if their personal preferances arent there. Seattle is going to be sitting there holding their jocks if you ask me. As you point out they'll probably draft a guard. Someone like Pouncey or Watkins out of Baylor. In hindsight they killed themselves for this draft by beating the Rams in the finally.

4U2NV
03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I personally don't see the Hawks going QB in the 1st if Locker isn't there. What the team needs more is a pass rush and I think Justin Houston would be somebody to consider if he's on the board.

asdf1223
03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
That 17-19 area is probably where teams like the Pats, Chargers and Giants probably will look to trade back if their personal preferances arent there. Seattle is going to be sitting there holding their jocks if you ask me. As you point out they'll probably draft a guard. Someone like Pouncey or Watkins out of Baylor. In hindsight they killed themselves for this draft by beating the Rams in the finally.

I would really doubt that. Carolina gave up a future 1st, a second and a fourth to trade up and take Jeff Otah in the 2008 NFL draft. It could happen if some team hates the players left on board and decides to trade the pick for another team's entire draft but the lack of flexibility with future picks hurts them IMO.

And i have no regret winning against St.Louis. If we had lost we would have picked 8th and would have to reach for a QB or take a more talented player in a lesser need position. No thanks.

I wouldnt mind Carimi or if a guy like Amukamara or Jimmy Smith if they fall. Even Aldon Smith is ok. Heck any non LB, S, TE, RB and WR pick is ok with me.

RaiderNation
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I think Hasselbeck will be back, but if he doesnt end up back in Seattle I can see them making a play for Locker or possibly trading for Palmer

Babylon
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I think Hasselbeck will be back, but if he doesnt end up back in Seattle I can see them making a play for Locker or possibly trading for Palmer

All have the same agent, David Dunn. fwiw.

aheineken
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Winning the division and a playoff game is really going to hurt Seattle. They pretty much played themselves out of the running from any of the top tier QBs. I think Gabbert, Newton, and Locker are all gone by the time they pick. I think Carroll goes with a vet (Hasselbeck or other) and a 3-5th round developmental guy (Kaepernick, Devlin, Enderle).

Babylon
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Winning the division and a playoff game is really going to hurt Seattle. They pretty much played themselves out of the running from any of the top tier QBs. I think Gabbert, Newton, and Locker are all gone by the time they pick. I think Carroll goes with a vet (Hasselbeck or other) and a 3-5th round developmental guy (Kaepernick, Devlin, Enderle).

Agree with this. The win against the Rams cost them about 95 spots in the draft.(overall) They would have had around the 9th pick and certainly a chance to draft a potential franchise QB. I dont blame the team for trying to win but it was costly.

gpngc
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah I really wish we didn't contend for a title and treat the fans to the best game of the 2010 season...

And AT LEAST one of the "top four" QBs is going to be there at #25. Chances are, at least one will be their in the second round for Seattle also.

The Seahawks "played themselves out of" (ridiculous) Newton or Gabbert most likely.

Babylon
03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah I really wish we didn't contend for a title and treat the fans to the best game of the 2010 season...

And AT LEAST one of the "top four" QBs is going to be there at #25. Chances are, at least one will be their in the second round for Seattle also.

The Seahawks "played themselves out of" (ridiculous) Newton or Gabbert most likely.

I guess you missed the part where i said i didnt blame the team for trying to win. Players and coaches always play to win, it's just the closet GMs that think differantly, i imagine you'll find fault with that statement too.

gpngc
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I absolutely do.

I don't think any "closet GMs" root for their team to lose when they have a shot at a playoff berth. I think that's beyond ridiculous actually.

Babylon
03-05-2011, 12:19 PM
My take is if your trying to eventually build a team to go to the superbowl you have to look at the big picture. Maybe that's me and if i'm in the minority so be it. By the way what i think doesnt mean squat as to what is going on at Qwest Field.

On a sidenote they probably played themselves out of a chance to get Jake, that should make your saturday complete.

gpngc
03-05-2011, 12:22 PM
My take is if your trying to eventually build a team to go to the superbowl you have to look at the big picture. Maybe that's me and if i'm in the minority so be it. By the way what i think doesnt mean squat as to what is going on at Qwest Field.

On a sidenote they probably played themselves out of a chance to get Jake, that should make your saturday complete.

You have to look at the big picture = be upset when they make the playoffs at 7-9, then subsequently WIN a playoff game? And prefer they had just lost so they could be picking 8th?

???? That, to me, is insane. But you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you are in the minority.

I think by picking #25 as opposed to #8 they are actually in a lot better position to take Jake Locker. If they could get one of the top ten best players in the nation (at #8) I highly doubt they'd take Jake freaking Locker lol... at #25 it's far more likely.

Caulibflower
03-05-2011, 01:49 PM
You have to look at the big picture = be upset when they make the playoffs at 7-9, then subsequently WIN a playoff game? And prefer they had just lost so they could be picking 8th?

???? That, to me, is insane. But you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you are in the minority.

I think by picking #25 as opposed to #8 they are actually in a lot better position to take Jake Locker. If they could get one of the top ten best players in the nation (at #8) I highly doubt they'd take Jake freaking Locker lol... at #25 it's far more likely.

I'd like them to draft Locker, but even I have to agree that #25 is a better spot to take him than #8. If we were picking at #8 we'd likely be thinking Cameron Jordan, Fairley or, heaven forbid, Blaine Gabbert. I might be glad to be farther down the board just because Gabbert's more likely to be unavailable.

Babylon
03-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I'd like them to draft Locker, but even I have to agree that #25 is a better spot to take him than #8. If we were picking at #8 we'd likely be thinking Cameron Jordan, Fairley or, heaven forbid, Blaine Gabbert. I might be glad to be farther down the board just because Gabbert's more likely to be unavailable.

If you and i can see Gabbert would be a reach there then people that actually get paid for a living will see it too. Could be we're wrong.

gpngc
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has heard "rumblings" that the Seahawks are "not high" on Washington QB Jake Locker.
"But that could be a smokescreen," concedes Williams. Locker has local ties, so it was presumed that he'd be a sexy pick for the Seahawks at No. 25 overall. Then again, after "leading" the hometown Huskies to just 15 wins on 40 career starts, perhaps Locker isn't all that beloved in Washington, after all.
Related: Seahawks
Source: Tacoma News Tribune

This is the second report I've read that has indicated the Seahawks are not high on him.

I do concede that if they did have the intention of selecting him at #25, a smokescreen like this would be smart.

Still, I'm hoping the rumblings are sincere. I know most other Seahawks fans aren't.

Babylon
03-08-2011, 03:26 PM
This is the second report I've read that has indicated the Seahawks are not high on him.

I do concede that if they did have the intention of selecting him at #25, a smokescreen like this would be smart.

Still, I'm hoping the rumblings are sincere. I know most other Seahawks fans aren't.

He wont be there at #25 so you'll be able to sleep on draft night. Relax.