PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Hines
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Discuss all draft and offseason related material here. Here's hoping we have a season next year.

I hope Shane or someone can sticky this.

brat316
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sticky IT.

Jakey
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
We should all post players we want, per round, then maybe have a voting mock at the end of something like that. Anyways, these are some players i hope we look at...

Round 1: Gabe Carimi, Derek Sherrod, Mike Pouncey, Marcus Cannon, Stefan Wisniewski, Cameron Jordan (unlikely), JJ Watt (unlikely), Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith, Rahim Moore.

Round 2: Jonathan Baldwin (unlikely), Leonard Hankerson, Lance Kendricks, Ben Ijalana, Orlando Franklin, Danny Watkins, Rodney Hudson, Cameron Heyward, Phil Taylor (unlikely), Jurrell Powe, Ras-I Dowling, Bandon Burton.

Round 3: Greg Little, Edmund Gates, DJ Williams, Marcus Gilbert, Demarcus Love, Jason Pinkston, Will Rackley, Brandon Fusco (OG), Allen Bailey, Kenrick Ellis, Jarvis Jenkins, Dontay Moch, Nate Irving, Kelvin Sheppard, Rashad Carmichael, Johnny Patrick, Jalil Brown, Ahmad Black, 3rd down back.

brat316
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I got Rbs in mind.

Carter, Lewis, Vereen. 3/4 round.

Jakey
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Still pissed we lost Thad Gibson, whats the chances of a Sonny Harris style return?

K Train
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Round one targets:

Mike Pouncey, Gabe Carimi, Phil Taylor, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward

Round 2 targets:

Curtis Brown, Kendrick Ellis, Quinton Carter, Deunta Williams, Rasi Dowling, Greg Jones, Greg Romeus, Allen Bailey, Jarvis Jenkins, Kyle Rudolph

Round 3 Targets:

Marcus Gilbert, James Brewer, Greg Little, Austin Pettis, Jerrell Powe, Javon House, Johnny Patrick, Lance Kendricks, Rashad Carmichael

Round 4 targets:

Chykie Brown, Demarcus Love, DeAnde Brown <3, Ahmad Black, Jason Pinkston, Kris Odowd

5-7 randomness

Josh Bynes, Alex Henery, Terrence Tolliver, Joseph Barksdale, Chimdi Chekwa,

K Train
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Still pissed we lost Thad Gibson, whats the chances of a Sonny Harris style return?

im so mad....and we lost al woods. both man crushes of mine

Hines
03-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Gibson was a numbers game, man. It was a good problem to have. I don't really agree with it, but we can pick up another Thad Gibson some other time.

K Train
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
i liked gibson so much more than guys like mclendon, battle, el, and madison.

i think he'll be better than worilds too, but hey im glad aaron smith was such a big contributor down the stretch

Hines
03-03-2011, 04:19 PM
i liked gibson so much more than guys like mclendon, battle, el, and madison.

i think he'll be better than worilds too, but hey im glad aaron smith was such a big contributor down the stretch

I would have taken the chance to him returning as well. You can go back and say it was a dumb move all you want. The fact is, we had enough linebackers to where we could have gotten rid of one. I don't think Mclendon was on the team yet, Battle and El were crucial at that point, and Madison is our top special teams guy.

Also, I don't know if I am right or anything, but there was a rumor that Thad wasn't doing what he was suppose to do and failing to grasp the things he needed to do.

Frankly no one knows why they cut him for everyone outside of the organization. If it was something that he was not suppose to do, then the Steelers made the right choice in letting him go.

K Train
03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
i would have definitely IRd him, his arm muscles are in shambles and hes old. Call me captain hindsight but i know i said that at the time it happened.

battle wasnt, isnt or ever will be a crucial part of any team. Thad was raw no doubt about it but i do believe he had unreal potential as an OLB or even in a dansby like MLB role. He was so young, if he wasnt grasping it i wouldnt be surprised. what im hearing is they are loving him in SF

Hines
03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
i would have definitely IRd him, his arm muscles are in shambles and hes old. Call me captain hindsight but i know i said that at the time it happened.

battle wasnt, isnt or ever will be a crucial part of any team. Thad was raw no doubt about it but i do believe he had unreal potential as an OLB or even in a dansby like MLB role. He was so young, if he wasnt grasping it i wouldnt be surprised. what im hearing is they are loving him in SF

Battle, at the time, was a major part of our special teams. Thad wasn't a part of anything rotting on the bench.

I liked Thad like everyone else, but it was a numbers game.

Jakey
03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Well i wish i hadnt brought that up lol.

On another topic, how high a priority do you think wr is for us? On paper it looks good with Wallace, Ward, Manny and Brown...but Hines is really showing his age now, if one of the younger guys gets hurt, i dont know how confident id be in our passing game. Whow do you think we should target in fa and/or the draft?

p.s. im typing this on my girls wii, took me about half an hour. fml lol

Hines
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Well i wish i hadnt brought that up lol.

On another topic, how high a priority do you think wr is for us? On paper it looks good with Wallace, Ward, Manny and Brown...but Hines is really showing his age now, if one of the younger guys gets hurt, i dont know how confident id be in our passing game. Whow do you think we should target in fa and/or the draft?

p.s. im typing this on my girls wii, took me about half an hour. fml lol

Personally, I think we will see Manny and Wallace on the outside and Hines in the slot. I don't think it's too much of a priority, but if a top guy falls, I can see us taking them.

mikehop05
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Personally, I think we will see Manny and Wallace on the outside and Hines in the slot. I don't think it's too much of a priority, but if a top guy falls, I can see us taking them.

manny needs to get a lot stronger if he wants to play on the outside imo

brat316
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
punters. Spev is done, 3 ACLs injuries. 2 NFL, 1 college.

Hines
03-06-2011, 07:58 AM
There's rumors that Rahim Moore could fall to the third. If he's there, you got to take him.

Jakey
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
There's rumors that Rahim Moore could fall to the third. If he's there, you got to take him.

Definately, id take him in the 2nd for sure.

He could help out as a NB/DB for a while, then take over for Ryan Clark whenever needed.

steelernation77
03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
If Hankerson drops to us in the 2nd, I'd say he's worth consideration. Sanders is a nice player but both he and Wallace lack physicality.

Hines
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Give me Greg Little if/when he falls.

Jakey
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
If Hankerson drops to us in the 2nd, I'd say he's worth consideration. Sanders is a nice player but both he and Wallace lack physicality.

Sanders doesnt lack physicality imo...he just lacks abit of size/bulk. If he was the same size as Hankerson he would be easily as physical, if not more.

steelernation77
03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Sanders doesnt lack physicality imo...he just lacks abit of size/bulk. If he was the same size as Hankerson he would be easily as physical, if not more.

He seemed like he had trouble beating jams last season. Regardless, he's naturally a small guy, and that's always going to limit him some. Once Ward is gone, we're going to need someone with a physical presence.

brat316
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm not sold on drafting a WR this year. To much of a luxury pick this year.

1) Cb
2) RG
3) RT
4) NT
5) P/k
6) Rb
7) S
8) LB

mikehop05
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm not sold on drafting a WR this year. To much of a luxury pick this year.

1) Cb
2) RG
3) RT
4) NT
5) P/k
6) Rb
7) S
8) LB

/agreed, tho i may list tackle higher than guard

brat316
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah T and G i rank about the same. Right now Flo is there at RT better than anything we have at G. I would like a swing man like Anthony Castanzo. Could come in and play RG right away, and move over to RT later.

DeathbyStat
03-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Any way we take some of the guys that blew up the combine like

Stephen Paea, Martez Wilson or JJ Watt

not our biggest needs, but could be solid replacements for Hampton, Smith and Farrior.

Hines
03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Watt won't be there when we pick, Paea is too small IMO, and Wilson is meh to me.

Jakey
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah T and G i rank about the same. Right now Flo is there at RT better than anything we have at G. I would like a swing man like Anthony Castanzo. Could come in and play RG right away, and move over to RT later.

Marcus Cannon :D

I honestly think he is Carl Nicks with better athletisism, would be a beast for us.

Hines
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Carnell Lake got officially hired as our new DB coach. Hell yeah.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Carnell Lake got officially hired as our new DB coach. Hell yeah.

Anybody thinks this means we're more likely to target Rahim Moore?

Hines
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Anybody thinks this means we're more likely to target Rahim Moore?

It could. I wouldn't rule it out.

Hines
03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I think we should pass on a LB this year to grab Farrior's replacement in next year's draft. Look at the names that will be available for us:

Vontaze Burfict Arizona State
Manti Te'o Notre Dame
Tank Carder TCU
Dont'a Hightower Alabama
Luke Kuechly

All these guys are very good and very mean. I personally want Burfict because he's one mean and nasty ************ and would bring our hardhitting reputation at linebacker continue. He'll get fined a lot, but one helluva player.

Next year's draft could be very special for us if we do well.

DeathbyStat
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I think we should pass on a LB this year to grab Farrior's replacement in next year's draft. Look at the names that will be available for us:

Vontaze Burfict Arizona State
Manti Te'o Notre Dame
Tank Carder TCU
Dont'a Hightower Alabama
Luke Kuechly

All these guys are very good and very mean. I personally want Burfict because he's one mean and nasty ************ and would bring our hardhitting reputation at linebacker continue. He'll get fined a lot, but one helluva player.

Next year's draft could be very special for us if we do well.

I like Burfict dude is just nasty, but he will need to tone it down if he wants to play in Goddell's NFL

Hines
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
http://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/45196668177629184

Big dude. Measured in at 6'4 315 and had a 30 inch vert. One of our scouts seemed to like him. A name to watch during the rest of the process.

Hines
03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Updated WalterFootball mock:

1) Martez Wilson LB Illinois
2) Marcus Cannon OL TCU
3) Sione Fua NT Stanford
4) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
5) Marcus Gilbert OL Florida
6) Alex Henery K/P Nebraska

Now I don't really like it. We have far greater needs than to get a first round MLB. He probably has us picking up a FA corner and resigning Ike with a corner to us in the fourth. I do like the OL haul, though.

Hines
03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Steelers are at the Kent State Pro Day. Probably looking at Brian Lainhart.

Smooth Criminal
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Updated WalterFootball mock:

1) Martez Wilson LB Illinois
2) Marcus Cannon OL TCU
3) Sione Fua NT Stanford
4) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
5) Marcus Gilbert OL Florida

Now I don't really like it. We have far greater needs than to get a first round MLB. He probably has us picking up a FA corner and resigning Ike with a corner to us in the fourth. I do like the OL haul, though.

I love Cannon and Fua, but I wouldn't be a fan of taking Wilson.

Hines
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
How would you guys feel about this? Personally, I'm torn on it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/tiki_mulls_pitt_stop_OAOqUObX0EIQMFKMM170YM

Hines
03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Also, I read that AFCN ESPN blogger James Walker thinks the Steelers could trade up. Personally, I'd rather trade up in the second and keep our first.

Hines
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
We are at the Clemson Pro Day. I'm sure we are watching Jarvis Jenkins, Marcus Gilchrist, Deandre McDaniel, and Byron Maxwell.

Coach T is at the U Pro Day watching Brandon Harris. Hmmm.

K Train
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
love me some brandon harris, love me some jarvis jenkins....this is great news

Hines
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Tomlin could also be looking at Hankerson(who I love) and Bailey(who I wouldn't mind in the third if he's there).

K Train
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
im not sure how i feel about hankerson....id prefer little if were taking a WR. hankerson wouldnt bring too much different to the table than brown and sanders.

bailey i think id take at 62, in the 3rd id definitely take him. he might be a workout warrior but its not like hes had ZERO production. hes a man without a position

Hines
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Trust me, I would LOVE Little on this team. I just like Hankerson a lot as well.

Jakey
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I love all the above players...Harris, Jenkins, Hank, Bailey and Little would all be great picks imo. Cant go wrong with any of them.

Also Tomlin was at Wisconsins pro day, who do you you think he was keeping an eye on the most? Carimi, Kendricks or JJ Watt?

Hines
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
IMO, Kendricks, Carimi, and Moffit.

Jakey
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
IMO, Kendricks, Carimi, and Moffit.

I like Kendricks and Carimi...i should like Moffit too, but i cant get rid of the Kraig Urbik comparison, theyre probably nothing alike, but i still have a bad taste in my mouth from him. Eurgh. Gloat away Ktrain, GLOAT! ;)

DeathbyStat
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I want Brandon Harris, you just can't win big with corners like the steelers have in the nfl anymore.

Hankerson i really want to like him but he drops too many balls, Bailey is a work out warrior type that I wouldn't touch unless he falls to the 3rd or the 4th.

I think Carimi could be a monster guard or a serviceable RT. I like taking a guy like Rackley, Cannon or Ijalana and moving them to guard.

If we can some how get a really solid guard prospect and Colon and Starks come back from injury the line doesn't look all that bad.

Do you guys think Jimmy Smith will even be on the steelers board because of character concerns?

Other than the obvious needs (o-line, Corner, DE, DT,) I like to get a better third down back and a TE not named Matt Spaeth.

Hines
03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
It seems like it was Chris Hairston that we went and saw at Clemson.

http://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/45969788266229760

K Train
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I like Kendricks and Carimi...i should like Moffit too, but i cant get rid of the Kraig Urbik comparison, theyre probably nothing alike, but i still have a bad taste in my mouth from him. Eurgh. Gloat away Ktrain, GLOAT! ;)
yeah...urbik...big time stud lol

I want Brandon Harris, you just can't win big with corners like the steelers have in the nfl anymore.

Hankerson i really want to like him but he drops too many balls, Bailey is a work out warrior type that I wouldn't touch unless he falls to the 3rd or the 4th.

I think Carimi could be a monster guard or a serviceable RT. I like taking a guy like Rackley, Cannon or Ijalana and moving them to guard.

If we can some how get a really solid guard prospect and Colon and Starks come back from injury the line doesn't look all that bad.

Do you guys think Jimmy Smith will even be on the steelers board because of character concerns?

Other than the obvious needs (o-line, Corner, DE, DT,) I like to get a better third down back and a TE not named Matt Spaeth.

carimi at guard would be very odd imo, hes a monster RT and has some serious LT potential to him.

I do not care at all that brandon harris is 5-9, he can ball out

i like jimmy smith....he ran a really good time though and with his size he might be off way before we pick

we could get tiki as a 3rd down back (lol) and i would also like spaeth off the team

Jakey
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna make a mock in a mo, dont make any plans brothers, this is gonna be epic.......................NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Hines
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
1) Ben Ijalana G Vilanova
2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
3) Greg Little WR North Carolina
4) Chris Hairston OT Clemson
5) Kendric Burney CB North Carolina
7) Frank Kearse NT Alabama A&M

Quick little mock I did.

CDub
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I must also admit (ashamedly) that I too thought that Urbik was gonna pan out and be a nice steal for us......oops

brat316
03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I thought Wisconsin linemen were suppose to be beast. I'm hoping there is a way we can land Gabe

Jakey
03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
1: Mike Pouncey - OG - Florida - 6'5" - 304
wzjPIP3gKkU

2: Rahim Moore - DB - UCLA - 6'0" - 202
Im2SZjMaO2A

3: Lance Kendricks - TE - Wisconsin - 6'3" - 245
YCAuwm3OG6k

4: Rashad Carmichael - CB - Virginia Tech - 5'11" - 192
oCQ-56ME8gE

5: Marcus Gilbert - OT - Florida - 6'6" - 330
http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/GilbertMarcus_100101_4260_TCasey.jpg

6: DeAndre Brown - WR - Southern Miss - 6'6" - 230
oZ1yewoUSqk

7: David Carter - DE - UCLA - 6'5" - 300
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1101/nfl-2011-draft-shrine-bowl-prospects/images/david-carter.jpg

K Train
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
everything about ^^^that is sweet sexual magic

Hines
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, great mock Jakey!

Jakey
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Cheers bro's, appreciate it! :D

Jakey
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Also, if you dont already, check out Mendy on Twitter...never knew the dude was so funny!

Scroll down abit to, "TwitterBeefTuesdays"

http://twitter.com/#!/R_Mendenhall

SCSteeler
03-11-2011, 01:07 AM
your mock would be dope!

computer crashed months ago...i missed you guys all through the Super Bowl!...its good to be back.

here's to the draft!!!!!!

Hines
03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Another two guys I forgot to add when talking about the U Pro Day is Demarcus Van Dyke and Ryan Hill. I wouldn't mind DVD because he's tall and fast, but he's rail thin and got benched as a senior. No doubt I believe he could be a nice cover corner in the NFL, but I would rather not it be with us with his small frame.

Ryan Hill can be exactly like Sam Shields. In that I mean Hill played WR at first in college and then moved to corner back. Hill was plagued by injuries and immaturity through his time in Miami. I feel he will exactly be like Sam Shields and I would love to have him. We know he is going to have the ball skills due to playing WR. I think he could be a nice sleeper in the later rounds or even as an UDFA.

steelernation77
03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Kendricks is a good player, but I'm not sure we need another TE we don't throw to, especially in the 3rd. I'm really hoping we get a CB at a decent value in the first three rounds.

Hines
03-11-2011, 06:04 AM
We would throw to Kendricks. He'd add another demension to our offense in a very solid way.

Hines
03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
A couple late round/UDFA guys to keep an eye out for the Steelers to try and sign:

Darrin Walls CB Notre Dame
Monte Simmons OLB Kent State

Both are very solid players and both are from Pittsburgh. I know Pittsburgh was at Kent State's Pro Day and our director of scouting said that Simmons looked the part and can play. He's a little small(6'1 235 I do believe), but he can flat out get after the passer.

Walls was a big time recruit coming out of high school, but didn't pan out like he was suppose to. He had a solid career, but nothing news worthy. I think he could become a very nice nickle corner for us as he is pretty big, fast, and real physical.

steelernation77
03-11-2011, 06:15 AM
We would throw to Kendricks. He'd add another demension to our offense in a very solid way.

I mean, I'd hope we would, but there really isn't any evidence to suggest we would adjust the offense for him. That, combined with Ben's tendency to look down field while ignoring open receivers underneath, makes me skeptical.

Jakey
03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
I mean, I'd hope we would, but there really isn't any evidence to suggest we would adjust the offense for him. That, combined with Ben's tendency to look down field while ignoring open receivers underneath, makes me skeptical.

I picked Kendricks as a realistic pick, we might not throw to him, but im not sure Spaeth will be be back and the Steelers have shown interest in Kendricks...so its possible that if hes there in the 3rd he could be the pick.

lance uppercut
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I see us packaging a first and third to move up (say to Seattle's pick / ahead of Baltimore) and get our corner. That corner is Harris imo.

in the 2nd, we select the best available lineman on either side of the ball; I could see a guy with 'positional flexibility' like DeMarcus Love being the guy there, though I maintain we need a pure tackle.

DeathbyStat
03-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I see us packaging a first and third to move up (say to Seattle's pick / ahead of Baltimore) and get our corner. That corner is Harris imo.

in the 2nd, we select the best available lineman on either side of the ball; I could see a guy with 'positional flexibility' like DeMarcus Love being the guy there, though I maintain we need a pure tackle.

Pretty sure Demarcus Love will be a guard only in the NFL

Hines
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
We are interested in Kenrick Ellis.

DeathbyStat
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
We are interested in Kenrick Ellis.

Thought they would be from a physical stand point, I guess his character checks out?

Hines
03-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Thought they would be from a physical stand point, I guess his character checks out?

From what I read, he has owned up to his mistakes and is looking past them. He seems to be doing better in that department than other players with character concerns.

Hines
03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
We met with Greg Romeus, Henry Hynowski, Dion Lewis, and have an interest in Noel Devine.

K Train
03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
love kendrick ellis in round 2.

love that devine came in 10 pounds heavier. i was kinda disappointed in lewis's time but id like him in the mid rounds.

romeus at 265 would definitely make him an OLB at the next level

Hines
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/SteelersDigest/status/48079823918202880

First batch of visitors. No surprise.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Mike Pouncey has supposedly been getting a lot of love from the Patriots. I'd hate to see him in NE, but that's not something I can control :S

In other news, Troy Polamalu played the entire playoffs with what has now been diagnosed as a "slight tear" in his Achilles tendon. That should pretty much explain his performance, or lack thereof.

Per Rotoworld:
Troy Polamalu's late-season Achilles injury was a "slight tear" in the tendon, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
It's no wonder his "trademark burst and explosiveness" was missing throughout the playoffs. Polamalu is still rehabbing the injury under the watchful eye of specialists, but he doesn't need surgery "for right now and the foreseeable future." The Steelers should count themselves lucky that the injury wasn't a full tear.

Hines
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Todd McShay has us getting Orlando Franklin at 31........lol

Mr. Goosemahn
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Todd McShay has us getting Orlando Franklin at 31........lol

Wow, don't know about you guys but that would be disappointing for me. Really disappointing. I mean, I like the guy, but in the first? No no.

Kind of like when people had us taking Herman Johnson in the first. Just never liked the idea, liked him later on, but not in the first.

K Train
03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
lol orlando franklin

Hines
03-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I like me some Orlando Franklin, but if we took him 31st overall? Oh man I would be mad.

Hines
03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
A little mock offseason:

SIGN VIA FREE AGENCY

CB Carlos Rogers
DE Marcus Spears
OG David Baas

Resign

CB Ike Taylor

DRAFT

1) Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
3) Kenrick Ellis DE/NT Hampton
4) Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU
5) Dion Lewis RB Pittsburgh
7) Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

Jakey
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
A little mock offseason:

SIGN VIA FREE AGENCY

CB Carlos Rogers
DE Marcus Spears
OG David Baas

Resign

CB Ike Taylor

DRAFT

1) Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
3) Kenrick Ellis DE/NT Hampton
4) Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU
5) Dion Lewis RB Pittsburgh
7) Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

IdclkOJqaRw

Hines
03-19-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm bringing back the draft game from last year. I'll try and keep it annually.

Hines
03-19-2011, 10:42 PM
We have scheduled visits with Eastern Washington's RB Taiwan Jones and The Citadel CB Cortez Allen.

Hines
03-20-2011, 08:43 AM
There are quite a bit of late round and UDFA corners that I like this draft:

Darrin Walls Notre Dame
Byron Maxwell Clemson
Korey Lindsey Southern Illinois
Josh Thomas Buffalo
Richard Sherman Stanford
Cortez Allen The Citadel

Sherman, Thomas, and Walls are my favorites. I'm biased on Walls, though considering he is from Pittsburgh.

Hines
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Colbert is very interested in trading down. I would love that to be honest. Trade in the early to mid second and aquire more picks. Maybe a first for next year, and do work.

Hines
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Aaron Williams is visiting in the next few weeks. If we trade down in the second, I wouldn't mind it.

Hines
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Curtis Brown is also visiting.

Jakey
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Scotts new mock...

1: Aaron Williams
2: James Carpenter

Pretty unspectacular imo. What you think?

Mr. Goosemahn
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Scotts new mock...

1: Aaron Williams
2: James Carpenter

Pretty unspectacular imo. What you think?

Yeah, they're not very sexy picks, but I wouldn't mind either. I'm okay with them. Williams more than Carpenter though.

Also, we have scheduled a visit with Cameron Jordan.

Hines
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Cortez Allen to visit the Steelers first week of April.

I believe we went to his Pro Day as well. This could be a guy we select in the 4th-5th round.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Don't know if it was already posted, but here is a list of the local Pittsburgh players we brought in for pre-draft visits:

WR Jonathan Baldwin
DE Jabaal Sheard
DE Greg Romeus
FB Henry Hynoski
RB Dion Lewis
T Jason Pinkston
S Dom DiCicco

All came in on the 16th.

Hines
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
A couple interesting things that I like:

Coach Mike Tomlin indicated that the Steelers have considered moving Willie Colon from right tackle to guard.
It could be a sensible switch if Colon's Achilles' surgery affects his mobility and ability to pass protect in space. He'd be in tighter quarters at guard. Colon is not signed for the 2011 season, however, so it's possible he'll be playing elsewhere anyhow. Especially if the Steelers don't deem a player coming off such a serious injury worth a hefty investment.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review predicts that the Steelers won't struggle to re-sign free agent RCB Ike Taylor.
"The reason? Simple," writes beat reporter Scott Brown. "The veteran cornerback wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want him back." Taylor, 31 in May, may want to consider a deal similar to the one signed by Sheldon Brown, 31 at the time, in Cleveland last spring. Taylor is better than Brown, but the three-year, $15.25 million pact could be a jump-off point.

DeathbyStat
03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
I really want a corner in the first but the value doesn't seem to be there.

I like Brandon Harris but Mayock and Casserley have stated that the kid is a nickle back at best.

Some feel that Aaron Williams is too stiff in the hips and will eventually move to safety.

I think were going oline or dline in some form or fashion round one.

The Cameron Jordan Visit is interesting, there is no way he will be there when we pick. Perhaps a trade up?

lance uppercut
03-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Colbert is very interested in trading down. I would love that to be honest. Trade in the early to mid second and aquire more picks. Maybe a first for next year, and do work.

I know one page ago I predicted a trade-up for B. Harris, who I still maintain will go fairly high as the third DB off the board - but I could also see a trade-down for Curtis Brown +. Esp. if Carimi is gone by 1.31, which he will be.

Hines
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I like Brandon Harris and all, but I don't think he'll fit well in our defense.

K Train
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Realistically i do not think we have a shot at Mike Pouncey who remains on top of my wish list, but heres what i think is 1) Likely to play out 2)amazing if it played out tied together

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU
With such a deep DE class, espeically for 5 techs i think we have a legit shot at him at 31 and at 31 it would be a STEAL

2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
I do think that he is the best CB on the texas roster and will instantly sure up the secondary. Ike, Butler, Brown, and *** is a SOLID group of corners imo (i love butler, i dont care if theres any weight to my statement yet...there will be)

3) Lance Kendricks TE
I hate spaeth and i think he should leave, Kendricks is a pass catching TE and i think the steelers are heavily interested in him, could be a dynamic addition to the passing game.

4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
Lived in the shadow of the pounceys at florida, but is a fine prospect in his own right. will be better than starks imo (former gator who went in the 3rd)

5) Noel Devine RB WVU
Love me some noel devine. He bulked up impressively between the senior bowl (a dismal 165) and now hes over 180. He has elite vision, speed and strength, honestly pound for pound one of the strongest humans on the planet....the bench and squat he can throw up at his size shames all of the lineman at wvu. Hes a hell of a 3rd down back, and CAN run in between the tackles. He also has some unreal potential as a return man. Get mewelde off the roster in favor of noel.

6) DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Hes my this years Mike Williams (we see how that worked out, i had mike williams mocked to us in the 5th in every mock i had last year) He would be a much better prospect if he wasnt labeled with these karakter konserns. big target, i think will make a team very happy.

7) Josh Bynes MLB Auburn
Bynes is a thumper as a MLB, hes pretty slow but makes up for it with very good instincts, could contribute as a backup and ST.

Other options that the steelers might look into include alex henery K nebraska, Rashad Carmichael CB VT, i think theres a considerable amount of interest in both of those prospects. Carmichael in the 3rd/4th, and Henery in the 6th

Jakey
03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Sweet sexual seduction!

+rep for that good sir

Also love Rock Carmichael, either would be good.

K Train
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Another player i really like lately is ras-i dowling, hes really helped himself this offseason. im on board

Hines
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Carmichael cannot tackle. He wouldn't be a good fit here.

K Train
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
while a agree with you i think that mcfadden and *** are 2 of the best tackling CBs in the league...look at how far that has gotten us with those two.

it seems like our coaching staff turns everyone into a good tackler, something they really stress and that IS something that can be taught...being a good cover guy is harder to come by, it might be something worth trying. (havent really seen alot of carmichael as opposed to some past hokies and some future stud DBs on that team) but i do think the steelers might have some genuine interest in him

DeathbyStat
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Realistically i do not think we have a shot at Mike Pouncey who remains on top of my wish list, but heres what i think is 1) Likely to play out 2)amazing if it played out tied together

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU
With such a deep DE class, espeically for 5 techs i think we have a legit shot at him at 31 and at 31 it would be a STEAL

2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
I do think that he is the best CB on the texas roster and will instantly sure up the secondary. Ike, Butler, Brown, and *** is a SOLID group of corners imo (i love butler, i dont care if theres any weight to my statement yet...there will be)

3) Lance Kendricks TE
I hate spaeth and i think he should leave, Kendricks is a pass catching TE and i think the steelers are heavily interested in him, could be a dynamic addition to the passing game.

Lived in the shadow of the pounceys at florida, but is a fine prospect in his own right. will be better than starks imo (former gator who went in the 3rd)

5) Noel Devine RB WVU
Love me some noel devine. He bulked up impressively between the senior bowl (a dismal 165) and now hes over 180. He has elite vision, speed and strength, honestly pound for pound one of the strongest humans on the planet....the bench and squat he can throw up at his size shames all of the lineman at wvu. Hes a hell of a 3rd down back, and CAN run in between the tackles. He also has some unreal potential as a return man. Get mewelde off the roster in favor of noel.

6) DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Hes my this years Mike Williams (we see how that worked out, i had mike williams mocked to us in the 5th in every mock i had last year) He would be a much better prospect if he wasnt labeled with these karakter konserns. big target, i think will make a team very happy.

7) Josh Bynes MLB Auburn
Bynes is a thumper as a MLB, hes pretty slow but makes up for it with very good instincts, could contribute as a backup and ST.

Other options that the steelers might look into include alex henery K nebraska, Rashad Carmichael CB VT, i think theres a considerable amount of interest in both of those prospects. Carmichael in the 3rd/4th, and Henery in the 6th

I would be fine with this

Hines
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
while a agree with you i think that mcfadden and *** are 2 of the best tackling CBs in the league...look at how far that has gotten us with those two.

it seems like our coaching staff turns everyone into a good tackler, something they really stress and that IS something that can be taught...being a good cover guy is harder to come by, it might be something worth trying. (havent really seen alot of carmichael as opposed to some past hokies and some future stud DBs on that team) but i do think the steelers might have some genuine interest in him

I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.

Hines
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.

K Train
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.

i really really liked mcfadden as a rookie, i thought he was gonna be great and his potential was unreal. he did regress since then and after flopping in AZ he came back here and didnt impress....injuries were there, but as fara s a corner goes i think hes become a liability. hes a great tackler, but not to great in coverage anymore.

really the entire seconary other than ike is a liability in coverage and needs to be adjusted.

*** is a good blitzer, a good NB but shouldnt be matched up on TO and TEs like gronkowski like he was all year and got raped on both occasions, mcfadden was picked on alot and really makes you appreciate his tackling ability sometimes, clark is so slow and cant overcome troys overagrressivness which is something we need so bad in a FS since troy just torpedos himself everywhere.

id be perfectly ok with aaron williams in the first as a FS/CB and then curtis brown or ras-i in the second...hell id take deunta williams or quinton carter too and just overhaul the RCB, NB, and FS spot

just like oline was before pouncey, CB is a spot thats been ignored for too long or addressed pathetically in the later rounds the last 5 years

K Train
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.

id definitely like gilbert

DeathbyStat
04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Players that you would punch a hole in the wall if we draft?

I can't really think of any off the top of head......

I guess Jimmy Smith if his off the field stuff is true. And Clayborn as his medical scares the hell out of me.

Also Baldwin would be a luxury pick we can't afford

Hines
04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Nate Solder.

ellsy82
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Would you guys be opposed with this draft?

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss St
Unlike Solder, Sherrod has the strength and diversity to start out on the right side and eventually move over to the left. A little raw, but the potential is there.

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Once the second or third CB on the board, a senior season marred by injury have really dropped his stock. He showed at the combine that he's healthy. When you go back and look at his junior tape, its amazing that he's not a first round lock.

3. Chris Conte, FS, California
One year wonder? Maybe, but he has the athleticism, protypical size and speed to really help out in the secondary. It'd actually be nice to draft a free safety with some sort of coverage ability. He's a very willing tackler and has youth on his side.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
Moffitt would be the perfect compliment to Pouncey on the inside, the type of pulling guard that our scheme can use. Would be a value pick here that fits a HUGE need.

5. Julius Thomas, TE, Portland St
Kind of a sleeper pick before the combine. This type of TE set would provide a matchup problem for any defense. Solid blocker and great pass catcher. This is not another Matt Spaeth.

6. David Carter, DE, UCLA
Prototypical LDE for our scheme. Shows the athleticism to latch on to blockers and create gaps. Would be a bit of a project, but so was Keisel and Harrison.

7. Blaine Sumner, NT, Colorado School of Mines
Sleeper, but this late in the draft I don't believe I'd let him test the UDFA road. He seems more of a weight-lifter than a football player right now. Another project, but his strength alone should warrant being drafted.

I just completed an exhausting 7 round mock, and that's where I ended up at.

DeathbyStat
04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Nate Solder.

Yeah i think he is one of the guys most likely to bust

DeathbyStat
04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Would you guys be opposed with this draft?

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss St
Unlike Solder, Sherrod has the strength and diversity to start out on the right side and eventually move over to the left. A little raw, but the potential is there.

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Once the second or third CB on the board, a senior season marred by injury have really dropped his stock. He showed at the combine that he's healthy. When you go back and look at his junior tape, its amazing that he's not a first round lock.

3. Chris Conte, FS, California
One year wonder? Maybe, but he has the athleticism, protypical size and speed to really help out in the secondary. It'd actually be nice to draft a free safety with some sort of coverage ability. He's a very willing tackler and has youth on his side.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
Moffitt would be the perfect compliment to Pouncey on the inside, the type of pulling guard that our scheme can use. Would be a value pick here that fits a HUGE need.

5. Julius Thomas, TE, Portland St
Kind of a sleeper pick before the combine. This type of TE set would provide a matchup problem for any defense. Solid blocker and great pass catcher. This is not another Matt Spaeth.

6. David Carter, DE, UCLA
Prototypical LDE for our scheme. Shows the athleticism to latch on to blockers and create gaps. Would be a bit of a project, but so was Keisel and Harrison.

7. Blaine Sumner, NT, Colorado School of Mines
Sleeper, but this late in the draft I don't believe I'd let him test the UDFA road. He seems more of a weight-lifter than a football player right now. Another project, but his strength alone should warrant being drafted.

I just completed an exhausting 7 round mock, and that's where I ended up at.

Haven't watched enough of Sherrod can't really trash the pick

I want to like Dowling but he just can't stay healthy if he falls to the 3rd or fourth i would give him a shot

Colorado School of Mines, thats a new one

ellsy82
04-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Too be honest...I've never heard of the place either, but the dude benched 49 at 225 and that's something. You could spend a second rounder of Paea and get more production early, or draft this guy and teach him a thing or two. We do have time. Hampton might be slowing down, but he's not done. We've been in the top 3 of NFL defenses the last 5 years. I guess we'll see how the draft works out. Here's his link on nfldraftscout.com:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=92014&draftyear=2011&genpos=DT

K Train
04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Ras-i dowling visits today....so happy. PEttis and a few others as well

DeathbyStat
04-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Ras-i dowling visits today....so happy. PEttis and a few others as well

I want to like Dowling but dude can't stay healthy, Love pettis, the kinda of WR we need to replace Hines

How about this mock?

1.Aaron Williams CB Texas

2.Marcus Cannon G TCU

3.Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

4.Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

5.Cortez Allen CB The Citadel

6.Mario Addison LB Marshall

7.Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M

Jakey
04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
I want to like Dowling but dude can't stay healthy, Love pettis, the kinda of WR we need to replace Hines

How about this mock?

1.Aaron Williams CB Texas

2.Marcus Cannon G TCU

3.Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

4.Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

5.Cortez Allen CB The Citadel

6.Mario Addison LB Marshall

7.Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M

I would be fine with this!

K Train
04-11-2011, 08:12 AM
i dont think one year of injury is enough to label him injury prone...he plays tough through injuries and 2 years in a pro s&c program he will beef up his lower body, timmons was injury prone until he got bigger and more durable, i think that might be what dowling needs

DeathbyStat
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Some interesting prospects.....

Kevin Hughes OT SE Louisiana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDRDdBFOOw

Byron Bell OT New Mexico State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYd8mzD5qnE

Nasty~!

I think he is a guard

Hines
04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Phil Taylor is visiting today. I don't think Hughes would fit our scheme IIRC.

Hines
04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I made three mock drafts today, which includes one trade down mock.

Mock one:

1) Cameron Heyward De Ohio State
2) James Carpenter OT/OG Alabama
3) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
4) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
5) Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland
6) Mario Harvey LB Marshall

Mock Two:

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas
2) Kenrick Ellis NT/DE Hampton
3) Greg Little WR UNC
6) Alex Henery K Nebraska
7) Mario Harvey LB Marshall

Mock Three:

Trade down from 31 to early second and get a fourth rounder

2a) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
3) Will Rackley G Leigh
4a) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
4b) Austin Pettis WR Boise State

ellsy82
04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Mock Three:

2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
3) Will Rackley G Leigh

I think a trade down would be idea, but not probable. I mean, when has Colbert traded up or down in the first round while Tomlin has been there? I'd like it this way.

2a) Ras-I Dowling, CB
2b) Marcus Cannon, OT/OG
3) John Moffit, OG
4a) Roc Carmichael, CB
4b) Deunta Williams, FS
5) Alex Hener, K - I think he'll go before the six round
6) Charlie Gantt, TE
7) Frank Kearse, NT

Hines
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I think a trade down would be idea, but not probable. I mean, when has Colbert traded up or down in the first round while Tomlin has been there? I'd like it this way.

2a) Ras-I Dowling, CB
2b) Marcus Cannon, OT/OG
3) John Moffit, OG
4a) Roc Carmichael, CB
4b) Deunta Williams, FS
5) Alex Hener, K - I think he'll go before the six round
6) Charlie Gantt, TE
7) Frank Kearse, NT

I like Roc, but the dude does not tackle nor is he explosive. I'd pass.

ellsy82
04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I like Roc, but the dude does not tackle nor is he explosive. I'd pass.

We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.

K Train
04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

sounds like another guy we know with long hair, but its not a big deal when he does it

Hines
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.

Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.

ellsy82
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.

Gaye and Maddison suffer from the same thing Ryan Clark does...horrible coverage and ball skills. Gaye can tackle, unless he tries to tackle AP again. He might be marginally better at blitzing than BMac, but when it comes down to it, he's the guy you're going to want to blitz the passer, because if you blitz someone else, you have a great liability in coverage skills in the remainder of your secondary with "Big Play" Bill Gaye back there.

At least Burnett had the added advantage of being a return man. Burnett actually produced in sample sizes due to all the injuries in our secondary two years ago.

K Train
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
i actually KINDA liked burnett, he had the sweet feet in coverage i thought he was way more impressive than lewis.

he was a bad returner though, despite being pretty amazing at it in college ala willie reid

Hines
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm going to make a mock draft contest, which will be due next Thursday. It's an annual thing.

Hines
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Keith Williams G from Nebraska, Greg Little, and Marcus Cannon visited today. WR Vincent Brown visits tomorrow.

I'd LOVE Brown. Kid isn't fast, but he has sticky hands.

ellsy82
04-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Keith Williams G from Nebraska, Greg Little, and Marcus Cannon visited today. WR Vincent Brown visits tomorrow.

I'd LOVE Brown. Kid isn't fast, but he has sticky hands.

Would love to have Cannon at RT or LG. Williams is a phonebox guy. No thanks. Little, I'd be okay with, I guess.

Hines
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Would love to have Cannon at RT or LG. Williams is a phonebox guy. No thanks. Little, I'd be okay with, I guess.

They probably like Williams as a guy who can come in as a backup and potentially start. I like how he plays nasty in the run game. He could be like Kemo, minus the retardedness.

K Train
04-20-2011, 10:49 AM
i would absolutely ******* love greg little

Hines
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Aaron Williams, Weslye Saunders, Davon Morgan, and Vincent Brown are visiting today.

Pitt
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Mock one:

3) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
4) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
6) Mario Harvey LB Marshall

Mock Two:

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas
2) Kenrick Ellis NT/DE Hampton
3) Greg Little WR UNC

Mock Three:

2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
3) Will Rackley G Leigh

Don't like trading down. Our track record is banking on 1st round picks. More picks look better for mock drafts because we all throw in the players we like, but in reality, the Steelers don't. Hasn't been too bad lately in the middle rounds (they all can't pan out), but still, the 1st is where it's at for us.

I like a combination of mock one and two here.

3) Greg Little WR UNC

Yes, no Corner or NT. But a replacement for Hines, two big bodies to come up with Pouncey putting the fire out to all the OL trash talk, and a future Kicker (why people don't put more of a priority on this is beyond me), and a true #1 pick to feel good about in Heyward (actually makes the Hood pick look like **** now, which is a good thing...it's rare to have that many 3-4 DE's graded as first round picks, which is why Heyward is in the 30's. This pick would remind me of Vince Wilfork being there late).

lance uppercut
04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
3) Greg Little WR UNC

Yes, no Corner or NT. But a replacement for Hines, two big bodies to come up with Pouncey putting the fire out to all the OL trash talk, and a future Kicker (why people don't put more of a priority on this is beyond me), and a true #1 pick to feel good about in Heyward (actually makes the Hood pick look like **** now, which is a good thing...it's rare to have that many 3-4 DE's graded as first round picks, which is why Heyward is in the 30's. This pick would remind me of Vince Wilfork being there late).

I'm all for Heyward in rd 1, but we can't possibly ignore the secondary like that. if we don't go with a corner in the first, it almost guarantees that we pick one in the 2nd.

lance uppercut
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think there's much if any chance of this happening, but if Gabe Carimi somehow slid past the KC/Indy/Philly trio at 21-23 and was on the board @ 25, I'd be on-board with moving up to Seattle's pick at 25 and grabbing him. DB is a bigger need, but I think Carimi is a much better prospect than, say, Aaron Williams.

Hines
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Flo is looking to return. Good ****.

mikehop05
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
whats up guys?

long time no posting here.. been busy with work and what not but am getting geared up for the draft again and immediately thought to check out this forum...

while ive gotten some good info, i was wondering if anyone here wouldnt mind taking a few minutes and giving me a quick rundown on some prospects we're closely linked to / guys that you think we are most likely to target in the first 3 rounds

i appreciate it, and as always, go steelers.

K Train
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Round 1 possibles-

Aaron Williams CB Texas
Cam Heyward DE ohio State
Phil Taylor NT Baylor
Ras-i Dowling CB Virginia

less likely ones could be danny watkins, marcus cannon, marcus gilbert, or rahim moore

second rounders id say-

Curtis Brown
Rahim Moore if hes there
Lance Kendricks
James Carpenter
James Brewer
Ben Ijalana

round 3-

Jerrell powe
Allen bailey
Davon House
Johnny patrick
chykie brown
will rackley
Greg Little

mikehop05
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
appreciate it, are those in order of who you like the best?

Hines
04-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Second Annual Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Game:

Rules:
Prior to the draft, participants must submit a mock draft of their own.

For every player participants select in their mock that the Steelers select in real life, they get one point. If they had the player in the correct round as well, they get two points.

I.E. - 2008 Draft

1. Rashard Mendenhall --> 2 points
2. Tony Hills --> 1 point
3. Roy Schuening --> 0 points
4. Dennis Dixon --> 1 Point
5. Brandon Carr --> 0 points
6. Orlando Scandrick --> 0 Points

ALL MOCK DRAFTS MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE DRAFT!

The participant with the highest amount of points wins, and they get rep from other participants, bragging rights, and other participants must acknowledge their superior Steelers knowledge and understanding with a comment or image in their respective sigs.

Post mocks in here, I'll sort them out in word, and then tally up the scores after the draft.

Death was last year's winner!

DeathbyStat
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Rules:

For every player participants select in their mock that the Steelers select in real life, they get one point. If they had the player in the correct round as well, they get two points.

I.E. - 2008 Draft

The participant with the highest amount of points wins, and they get rep from other participants, bragging rights, and other participants must acknowledge their superior Steelers knowledge and understanding with a comment or image in their respective sigs.

Post mocks in here, I'll sort them out in word, and then tally up the scores after the draft.

Looking forward to defending the title

lance uppercut
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM
while ive gotten some good info, i was wondering if anyone here wouldnt mind taking a few minutes and giving me a quick rundown on some prospects we're closely linked to / guys that you think we are most likely to target in the first 3 rounds

welcome back, mike. if I'm handicapping our first selection, it goes something like this:

Aaron Williams (20%)
Brandon Harris (15%)
Derek Sherrod (15%)
Cam Heyward (15%)
Phil Taylor (10%)
Danny Watkins (5%)
Mike Pouncey (5%)
Rest of the field (15%)

that's my take. it's a total crapshoot this year.

I'm getting the feeling we may be orchestrating a trade-down, though - say with the Cards, Niners, or Titans for a Locker/Mallet/Dalton/Ponder. I could see Curtis Brown coming under consideration for us in that scenario.

personally, I'd be a bit underwhelmed with Williams at 1.31. in a trade-down scenario where we're adding additional choices, sure, but he's got a lower ceiling than I'd prefer out of our first rounder, and isn't exactly bust-proof either. I could get on-board with Harris/Sherrod/Heyward, and maybe even Taylor. I would have some reservation about Watkins just due to his age. Pouncey would be fine I guess.

in the 2nd round, I predict we go OL. hopefully we don't reach. Carpenter, Orlando Franklin, Ben Ijelana, Marcus Cannon, or Gilbert maybe to keep the Florida pipeline going. While I think OL is the pick, I'd prefer to carpet bomb the D, though, and am zeroing in on Jarvis Jenkins or Ras-I Dowling, both solid citizens, team leaders, and starter-caliber prospects.

I'm really not studied up on the mid-rounds at all, but will say I'd like us to select Tyler Sash somewhere - as early as the 3rd round. he's not the ballhawk his stats would lead you to believe - a lot of his INTs were on poorly thrown passes - but he'd be a quality spot-starter for when #43 is out, and an asset on special teams. and, very little ramp-up time relative to other DBs, as he's played in some similar schemes at Iowa.

DeathbyStat
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
What do you guys thinks of Sherrod?

I'm not really a big fan

Watched him yesterday in the Gator Bowl VS Michigan

Seemed very average, didn't sustain blocks, wasn't nasty, didn't seem like he wanted to hit anyone and was beaten a few times against a Michigan defense that wasn't very good.

K Train
04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
not crazy about him at all.

lance uppercut
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm not really a big fan

I'd be pretty ok with it if he's their guy. caveat: I'm not a big scout dude, I don't watch tape. I listen to as many sources as I can and call on youtube a bit, so my impression is way far from complete. that said, he appears to have a pretty good first step and react out of his stance. seems like he's just big enough to engulf smaller rushers, and just quick enough to seal off the edge. doesn't get walked back into the pocket. in short, he seems to do everything pretty well. he's not a dominator, but there's not some major flaw in his game that's going to keep him off the field. no major injury history, and he's faced elite competition throughout his career.

I think the general consensus is he's a steady prospect who will probably be a quality starter but not a star. unlike so many OT prospects, he won't need moved inside. in a stronger draft, he's a classic 2nd rounder - in this draft, he's fringe first. I could see him going in the low 20s, and I could see him going in the mid-40s, possibly to us via trade-down. TBH, he kind of reminds me of Marvel. and, if that's what we were getting, cool.

Pitt
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
1st pick (whether trade up or trade down) top 10 Big Board:

1. Mike Pouncey G Florida
2. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
3. Gabe Carimi T Wisconsin
4. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
5. Danny Watkins G Baylor
6. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
7. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
8. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
9. Brandon Harris CB Miami FL
10. Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State

If the Steelers drafted any of these players, I would be on board with their decision all the way. However, could not find more than 10 names I'd feel good walking away with as our first pick this year.

K Train
04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
1st pick (whether trade up or trade down) top 10 Big Board:

1. Mike Pouncey G Florida
2. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
3. Gabe Carimi T Wisconsin
4. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
5. Danny Watkins G Baylor
6. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
7. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
8. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
9. Brandon Harris CB Miami FL
10. Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State

If the Steelers drafted any of these players, I would be on board with their decision all the way. However, could not find more than 10 names I'd feel good walking away with as our first pick this year.
mine would go

Mike Pouncey
Cam Heyward
Aaron Williams
Gabe Carimi
Ras-i dowling
Phil Taylor
Brandon Harris
Jimmy Smith...i know i know karacter konsernz
Curtis Brown
Rahim Moore

Pitt
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind Smith, but just keeping hearing how he's souring up draft boards, so I didn't include him. Curtis Brown I wouldn't feel good about being our first pick. Second pick, yeah. If that makes sense.

K Train
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
i think brown will be a better corner than williams....williams though i think would be good at either CB or FS with us at least...if that makes sense.

plus you said whether we trade up or down....this would be a down, as would moore, and harris

Pitt
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah but we wouldn't be trading down too far, so I still wouldn't feel good about Brown being our top prospect out of this draft. I'd like Brown if he were paired with another, similar to the Timmons/Woodley situation;

1. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

But this to me does not look good;

1. Curtis Brown CB Texas

And by "1." and "2." I'm referring to picks, not rounds.

Hines
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I firmly believe Aaron Williams can stay at CB for the Steelers. I feel the same way about Malcolm Jenkins as well.

Pitt
04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I firmly believe Aaron Williams can stay at CB for the Steelers. I feel the same way about Malcolm Jenkins as well.

Agreed. With him, it's a team by team basis. And on the Steelers defense, he could.

K Train
04-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah but we wouldn't be trading down too far, so I still wouldn't feel good about Brown being our top prospect out of this draft. I'd like Brown if he were paired with another, similar to the Timmons/Woodley situation;

1. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

But this to me does not look good;

1. Curtis Brown CB Texas

And by "1." and "2." I'm referring to picks, not rounds.
if it were something like

1. Curtis Brown
2. Marcus Gilbert or 2. Kendrick Ellis or 2. Quinton Carter

i wouldnt mind

K Train
04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Agreed. With him, it's a team by team basis. And on the Steelers defense, he could.

thats pretty much my thoughts on him...i think he may have to move to safety for some teams but with the steelers he should be fine at CB for what they will ask him to do. if not he would (better be) a hell of a FS

Pitt
04-26-2011, 07:01 PM
thats pretty much my thoughts on him...i think he may have to move to safety for some teams but with the steelers he should be fine at CB for what they will ask him to do. if not he would (better be) a hell of a FS

Yup. Either way, a win win for the Steelers. Which is why I think he is their guy.

They like Juniors for one. Two, versatility. Three, character/Steeler types.

I don't see more of a sure pick than Williams at this point (at 31).

Maybe they'd be thinking more BPA like usual (Aaron Williams probably is here anyways) but not being able to sign Taylor yet, or fill some needs via free agency, tells me this whole not drafting a CB in the first round thing will come to an end.

Hines
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
If I were to make a guess, Cam Heyward would be the pick. That said, I don't think he's there. I'll go 55-45 in favor of Heyward right now.

K Train
04-26-2011, 07:06 PM
yeah if it were heyward and williams both at 31 it would be a long 10 minutes....not sure which way i would lean, but id be happy either way.

second thought i think id go heyward, but still a win win

Pitt
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I'd go Heyward over Williams if they were both there. Have to wonder how high Heyward would go if not for all the 3-4 personnel 1st round grades (which is rare).

K Train
04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
hes still my #1 5 tech i think...i really think he could be a once-in-a-while type player like aaron smith or richard seymour. im saying most years hes a top 10 pick, this year he hurt his elbow and is in a stacked class

Pitt
04-26-2011, 07:16 PM
hes still my #1 5 tech i think...i really think he could be a once-in-a-while type player like aaron smith or richard seymour. im saying most years hes a top 10 pick, this year he hurt his elbow and is in a stacked class

I would instantly look at it like Heath Miller value if he ends up going at 31.

Pitt
04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
And Vince Wilfork value if we're talking around the league.

mikehop05
04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
good discussion guys, im learnign a lot

i wish i could contribute but keep these tidbits coming, im enjoying it

K Train
04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
I really think the Ras-i is the best fit for the steelers....getting him in the second would be amazing, even taking him in the 1st would be worth it imo.

he'll have to bulk up his lower body but realistically saying they sign ike, he would be a 3rd/4th CB on the steelers as a rookie. Ike and mcfadden are likely starters still, i think *** will be a cardinal before long and i want crezdon butler to be worked in, i especially wanna see what butler can do on the outside rather than nickel. dowling would be in the perfect situation to take over in a year, and probably get action as a NB or FS as a rookie

dowling is physical and aggressive and if he didnt get hurt i kinda think he would be right in between amukamara and jimmy smith in rankings and not behind aaron williams and brandon harris

K Train
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Rules:

I.E. - 2008 Draft

1. Aaron Williams CB Texas
2. Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
3. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
4. Austin Pettis WR Boise
5. Alex henery K Nebraska
6. Deunta Williams FS UNC
7. Frank Kearse DE Bama A&M

Smooth Criminal
04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Theres a ton of talent I'd love to come away with tomorrow. I'd love to see Heyward on the team. Obviously any of the corners would be nice to have, my favrotie being Williams. Reports today that we want to trade up for Pouncey probably means it's not true, but I'd like to see it happen if he slides into the 20s. Another pick I'd be into at 31 is Ingram. He'd give us another talented back, and Mendenhall cannot possibly be expected to carry a load like he did last season.

And I think we're in a great position to trade down if a team is trying to jump back into the first and get one of the QBs. With the needs we have I wouldn't hate moving back and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th depending on how far.

Ideally I want Heyward. He was my favorite player on the OSU defense last year and I think he is a perfect fit for us. We've typically picked younger players with our first rounder since Tomlin has been here, but I don't think thats by any kind of design or that they're looking passed seniors.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM

I think his ceiling is somewhere close to what Marvel Smith was. Not elite, but not bad either. Sherrod would probably be a better pass-protector and not quite the great run-blocker Smith was though.

I think the general consensus is he's a steady prospect who will probably be a quality starter but not a star. unlike so many OT prospects, he won't need moved inside. in a stronger draft, he's a classic 2nd rounder - in this draft, he's fringe first. I could see him going in the low 20s, and I could see him going in the mid-40s, possibly to us via trade-down. TBH, he kind of reminds me of Marvel. and, if that's what we were getting, cool.

Haha, I swear I hadn't seen this before my post. Guess great minds think alike ;). Also, "alright, that's cool" would be the perfect description of what my reaction would be if we drafted Sherrod.

Same here, I think Williams is athletic and talented enough to be a good CB for us. I would have no issues with switching him to S, though. Same goes for Ras-I Dowling, who I still really like.

That's really setting the bar high for him, haha, but I actually agree with you. Everytime I see him play, except for a couple games late this year, I am absolutely intrigued by what he does. He would be a perfect replacement for Smith, and I'd slide Hood over to RE. RE is supposed to be the better pass-rushing end, and Hood is a better rusher than Heyward, IMO, which is basically the only knock on Heyward. We don't need him to rush the passer though, just let Woodley and Harrison do their thing.

And if both Heyward and Williams are there, give me Heyward. I'd rather have an elite 3-4 end than a good CB, even if we desperately need one. I'd much rather go Heyward and Curtis Brown/Ras-I Dowling/someone else than Aaron Williams and another 3-4 end, where there is a significant drop-off in talent, IMO.

I really think the Ras-i is the best fit for the steelers....getting him in the second would be amazing, even taking him in the 1st would be worth it imo.

he'll have to bulk up his lower body but realistically saying they sign ike, he would be a 3rd/4th CB on the steelers as a rookie. Ike and mcfadden are likely starters still, i think *** will be a cardinal before long and i want crezdon butler to be worked in, i especially wanna see what butler can do on the outside rather than nickel. dowling would be in the perfect situation to take over in a year, and probably get action as a NB or FS as a rookie

dowling is physical and aggressive and if he didnt get hurt i kinda think he would be right in between amukamara and jimmy smith in rankings and not behind aaron williams and brandon harris

Agree with virtually everything. I was very, very surprised to see Dowling run a 4.40 flat at 6'1 and 198. That is absolutely fantastic speed with fantastic size. Add that to his great ball skills and it could very well be a great corner. If not, he's at least be a very good FS. As you said, he's physical and doesn't shy away from contact. Tough tackler.

Finally, Marcus Cannon was diagnosed with cancer. This could, and probably does, shatter his draft stock. If he's there in the sixth, maybe even in the fifth, I'd still draft him. If he beats his cancer (and there's a 90% chance he does), and recovers the weight and strength he'll undoubtedly lose, he could be a very, very good guard for us. I thought he'd be able to turn into a Shawn Andrews type of player, so if we miss out on Pouncey (who I, like many of you, still have as our #1 guy), which will very likely happen, Cannon would be fantastic value as a 5th rounder. IR for one year, develop him his second, and work him in.

K Train
04-27-2011, 10:13 PM
That's really setting the bar high for him, haha, but I actually agree with you. Everytime I see him play, except for a couple games late this year, I am absolutely intrigued by what he does. He would be a perfect replacement for Smith, and I'd slide Hood over to RE. RE is supposed to be the better pass-rushing end, and Hood is a better rusher than Heyward, IMO, which is basically the only knock on Heyward. We don't need him to rush the passer though, just let Woodley and Harrison do their thing.

And if both Heyward and Williams are there, give me Heyward. I'd rather have an elite 3-4 end than a good CB, even if we desperately need one. I'd much rather go Heyward and Curtis Brown/Ras-I Dowling/someone else than Aaron Williams and another 3-4 end, where there is a significant drop-off in talent, IMO.

Agree with virtually everything. I was very, very surprised to see Dowling run a 4.40 flat at 6'1 and 198. That is absolutely fantastic speed with fantastic size. Add that to his great ball skills and it could very well be a great corner. If not, he's at least be a very good FS. As you said, he's physical and doesn't shy away from contact. Tough tackler.

Finally, Marcus Cannon was diagnosed with cancer. This could, and probably does, shatter his draft stock. If he's there in the sixth, maybe even in the fifth, I'd still draft him. If he beats his cancer (and there's a 90% chance he does), and recovers the weight and strength he'll undoubtedly lose, he could be a very, very good guard for us. I thought he'd be able to turn into a Shawn Andrews type of player, so if we miss out on Pouncey (who I, like many of you, still have as our #1 guy), which will very likely happen, Cannon would be fantastic value as a 5th rounder. IR for one year, develop him his second, and work him in.

ive said heyward would be perfect for smiths spot and hood would be the better fit for keisels before as well, hes not a pass rusher but he never quits and just because he doesnt get sacks doesnt mean the pressure isnt there, he does collapse the pocket pretty well.

dowlings 4.4 had me sold on him, from what i kept hearing he was going to run in the 4.65 range. his senior year was disappointing, but he was hurt and he does need to bulk up his lower body to be more durable but the tape he does have before that makes me think that with no injury and a 4.4 hed be right up there with amukamara

Hines
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Everyone participating in the mock game, make sure you have your mocks in by the draft. Thank you.

Pitt
04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Tampa Bay is on the clock at #20 and both Prince Amukamara and Mike Pouncey are still on the board.

Which one do you trade up for?

K Train
04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
amukamara and its not even close

Hines
04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
amukamara and its not even close

This, this, and this!!

Pitt
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Everyone participating in the mock game, make sure you have your mocks in by the draft. Thank you.

1. Aaron Williams FS Texas
2. Curtis Brown CB Texas
3. Kenrick Ellis NT Hampton
4. Joe Barksdale OT LSU
5. Cortez Allen CB Citadel
6. Alex Henery K Nebraska
7. Henry Hynoski FB Pittsburgh

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't know why I woke up today thinking that I'd love to draft Mark Ingram. The thought of Mendenhall and Ingram together was very, very exciting.

Not a need at all, in fact it would be a luxury pick, but seeing defenses try to stop both Mendy and Ingram would be very, very fun.

Still hoping we move for Pouncey though.

Hines
04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
It looks like the mock draft thing is going to be off since there is only 3 entries...

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
It looks like the mock draft thing is going to be off since there is only 3 entries...

Here's mine:

1. CB Aaron Williams, Texas
2. CB/S Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
3. OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida
4. NT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss
5. RB Da'Rel Scott, Maryland
6. LB Mario Harvey, Marshall
7. K Alex Henery, Nebraska

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Steelers, trade up for Amukamara!

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Aaaaahhhhhhh Trade Up For Amukamara!!!!!

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
****, Pouncey's gone.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
If Prince is there at 21, Tomlin better call up his friends in Tampa.

mikehop05
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
noooo prince :(

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Could get Cam Jordan Cam Heyward or any of the second tier corners still. also Carimi is still on the board.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Two picks left Cam Heyward, Muhammed Wilkerson, Carimi and Aaron Williams/Brandon Harris available. I like our options.

lance uppercut
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Two picks left Cam Heyward, Muhammed Wilkerson, Carimi and Aaron Williams/Brandon Harris available. I like our options.

Bears will pick Carimi, they have to. if not, dream scenario.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Even if they do there are still a lot of people I like left

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Heyward nice

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
There we go, Ironhead. Good pick, like it.

Hood and Heyward will be awesome to watch.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Better go corner in the second now

mikehop05
04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
lets get ras-i and make it a wrap

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Yeah, and I'm liking the fact that there are still a couple good players available. Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Dowling, hope we move for one of them.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah I would love a trade up for any of those three tomorrow

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Two first round 3-4 DE's, man this gets me pumped. Our D-Line could be just as good as it is right now for the next decade.

lance uppercut
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM

yep, I think we can & will. but it all starts up front, and I love that we added a young building block to the front-7. woodley, timmons, worilds, hood, heyward. *maybe* sylvester. it's a nice start to addressing the age problem on this defense.

I know OT is a need, but I'd rather we really throw numbers at the D. try to get curtis brown or ras-i in the 2nd and this draft will be off to a terrific start.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
If we got Dowling I would love this draft

lance uppercut
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
btw, if you'd have said in the fall that we'd come away with cam heyward, people would have said no way. this guy was widely regarded as a top-10 pick for a long time. classic steelers value pick.

go steelers!

Hines
04-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Great pick. Love it.

steelernation77
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Was looking for a CB or OT in the 1st, but no complaints with Heyward. He's a prototype 34 end. Safe pick, should be a starter for years.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Still have Williams, Harris, Dowling and Curtis Brown on the board at corner so we have some option tomorrow

K Train
like i said earlier...my hear says heyward, my mock said williams....so happy right now

mikehop05
If we got Dowling I would love this draft

/ zomg yes so much

coordinator0
Excellent pick for the Steelers, so it's not one that I like ;). Oh well I'm happy we got Smith, I think all of the AFCN first round picks were good (Taylor being the worst, but still not bad).

Hines
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I could see some of the corners falling. I also wouldn't mind trading up. Who knows what is going on with the Steelers' head. If they trade up for Williams, I'd be estatic.

Phillysteeler
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Also am I the only one that wants Greg Lloyd much later in the draft

Hines
04-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Excellent pick for the Steelers, so it's not one that I like ;). Oh well I'm happy we got Smith, I think all of the AFCN first round picks were good (Taylor being the worst, but still not bad).

I believe the Ravens had a solid pick. I really like Smith, but the dude just screams problems. I wish him luck, but I'd be scared if I were Raven fans.

K Train
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
i think id still like dowling over williams, but a trade up for williams, dowling or brown would make me so happy...even harris actually

lance uppercut
04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
i think id still like dowling over williams, but a trade up for williams, dowling or brown would make me so happy...even harris actually

yeah, I'd be ok with a trade-up. I mean, there's not an OT prospect that's likely to be there in the late third round that we're going to go nuts over. but if harris is lingering mid-2nd, go get him. still not into aaron williams, just a gut feel that he won't pan out.

I think we might be able to stay put and land curtis.

mikehop05
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM

i sign off on this theory as well

K Train
04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
marcus gilbert wouldnt hurt my feelings either

Hines
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
yeah, I'd be ok with a trade-up. I mean, there's not an OT prospect that's likely to be there in the late third round that we're going to go nuts over. but if harris is lingering mid-2nd, go get him. still not into aaron williams, just a gut feel that he won't pan out.

I think we might be able to stay put and land curtis.

Meh, I think Williams would pan out a lot better in our system than Harris. I like Harris, but he is not a Pittsburgh Steeler cornerback.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Meh, I think Williams would pan out a lot better in our system than Harris. I like Harris, but he is not a Pittsburgh Steeler cornerback.

Harris is tough and gritty, but he's small, and that kind of worries me.

tenorx
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Man I'm so happy about this pick. Tomorrow I'd like to get Curtis Brown or Curtis Marsh, I really like those guys, just please no Ras-I.

lance uppercut
04-28-2011, 11:48 PM

I mean this with all respect, but I'm ready to change the definition of a Steelers CB. dating back through chad scott, we've had tall 'physical' corners who couldn't catch a cold and who routinely gave up short completions. the types that get eaten alive by Brady. honestly, I think this is why williams gives me so much pause. I've seen that movie.

Harris is short, but not unwilling to stick his nose in to support the run. most importantly, though not a pure ballhawk, he can actually cover. it doesn't matter, I think he will be long gone by the time we can get into striking distance tomorrow, but of the remaining CBs he's my #1. and even if he was, we'd probably draft buster skrine or cortez allen ahead of him :-)

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Don't know why, but I suddenly became a little worried that Mike might eventually lure Maurkice to play alongside him in Miami, which I'm pretty sure is their favorite team.

Hope it never, ever happens, and the opposite actually happens.

villagewarrior
04-29-2011, 03:49 AM
I was really hoping the Chiefs would go with Heyward or Carimi there after the trade down, I really love the way the Steelers approach the draft. Build from the inside out as it should be. Good pick with Heyward.

K Train
04-29-2011, 08:15 AM
top potential steelers available to me: Aaron williams, rsai dowling, curtis brown, marcuse gilbert, rahim moore, ben ijalana, greg little

Hines
04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
I read that experts think Brandon Harris falls to 63. If he does, then that's a great spot to take him.

K Train
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
i would like him there....prefer one of the other guys though

Jakey
04-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Long time no speak bros, been on vacation for a while...was on the journey back during the 1st round :(

Stoked that we landed Heyward though, definately not dissapointed with that :D

Also pretty excited about who might be there in round 2, some good players will be there for sure!

K Train
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
heres a write up i did for steeleraddicts

All along i have viewed Cameron Heyward as the best 3-4 Defensive End prospect in the draft. He is easily one of the top 10 senior prospects and would fall around 10-12 in my overall ratings. He has elite intangibles, bloodlines, size, and commitment to the game. At 6-5 nearly 300 pounds he has both the length and bulk to be a true master of the 5 tech position, one of the hardest positions to play in a 34 defense.

He fell in the draft to slot 31 because other potential 5 techs such as JJ Watt. Cam Jordan, and Muhummad Wilkerson made it somewhat rare class of 34 lineman. All of them are better pass rushers than Heyward, but we already have a player in that mold in hood. What the steelers got here is a replacement for Aaron smith, something i would never have confidence in hood to become. Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect.

As a rookie i dont expect him to be anything more than a rotational player by design, but you never know with Smith and Keisels injuries he may get a considerable amount of playing time. Heyward makes the secondary better by a considerable amount, so those of you too concerned with drafting a corner just think about this....a player that benefits from a true 5 tech on the LE spot is the LOLB, so i would expect woodley (or whoever) to truly be much better in this scenerio than if it were hood. Hood has the ability to penetrate and get pressure, Heyward has the ability to stonewall blockers, sustain blocks, and collapse the pocket.

Seriously, a good day to be a steeler fan, lets hope im this excited after rounds 2 and 3

Pitt
04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Good writeup K Train. Let's hope you get to write about one of these 8 I want next.

1. Aaron Williams CB Texas
2. Brandon Harris CB Miami
3. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
4. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
5. Curtis Brown CB Texas
6. Ben Ijalana OT Villanova
7. Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton
8. Rodney Hudson OG Florida State

K Train
04-29-2011, 12:03 PM
my list of hopefuls is real similar

1. Ras-i dowling
2. Aaron williams
3. Curtis Brown
4. Ben Ijalana
5. Greg Little
6. Ben ijalana
7. marcus Gilbert
8. Kendrick Ellis (doubt it but would be incredible)
9. Brandon harris
10. Quinton Cater
11. Rahim Moore
12. Lance kendricks

any of thesse guys steelers today im a happy man

SCSteeler
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
heres a write up i did for steeleraddicts

"Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect."

Did you just say something nice about Hood!!!!!! LOL

K Train
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
scary right?

hoods deficiencies no longer matter to me, we drafted his replacement :-)

jk but my outlook on hoods future just took a turn for the better

Hines
04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
my list of hopefuls is real similar

1. Ras-i dowling
2. Aaron williams
3. Curtis Brown
4. Ben Ijalana
5. Greg Little
6. Ben ijalana
7. marcus Gilbert
8. Kendrick Ellis (doubt it but would be incredible)
9. Brandon harris
10. Quinton Cater
11. Rahim Moore
12. Lance kendricks

any of thesse guys steelers today im a happy man

You want Ijalana so much that you listed him twice. :)

K Train
04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
first one is ijalana as a RG, second one is ijalana as a RT.

lol

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Live press conference with Cameron Heyward on Steelers.com right now.

Says he wanted to become a Steeler, it was his #1 team, and he seems like a genuinely nice and intelligent guy.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Fffuuuuu, there goes Dowling.

Pitt
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Worst thing that could have happened. I hope this doesn't trigger a CB run.

Pitt
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
and here we go..

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
brandon harris and curtis brown still on board

Hines
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I'd take either of those two at 63 if they are available.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Marcus Gilbert, alright, good solid pick.

Jakey
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
K Train is jizzing!

I can dig the pick, would rather have Curtis Brown though.

Hines
04-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I like Marcus Gilbert there. I guess there is whispers that Ike might be resigning soon. Maybe trade up for Brown or wait for Chekwa.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I like Marcus Gilbert there. I guess there is whispers that Ike might be resigning soon. Maybe trade up for Brown or wait for Chekwa.

Not too big a fan of the CB's after Brown. Hope we look for one in free agency. This was a good year for CB's but we just missed out on them.

steelernation77
04-29-2011, 07:44 PM
We need CBs but it's been a long time since we've properly addressed the OT position. I like Gilbert and like the pick.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
And regarding Gilbert, I think we're looking at the guy we'll try to mold into our LT of the future. Not a franchise LT, but he's very good on his feet, and he's a very good pass-protector.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
We need CBs but it's been a long time since we've properly addressed the OT position. I like Gilbert and like the pick.

Also, he's a friend/teammate of Pouncey in Florida, so that should help.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh, and I just love Gilbert's size. Was one of, if not the, biggest tackle in the draft. I like it.

Hines
04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
There's quite a few CBs I like left. We should be fine at corner if we sign Ike and sign a vet corner.

steelernation77
04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Also, he's a friend/teammate of Pouncey in Florida, so that should help.

Plus they didn't play together but Starks is a Gator. Should be a good brotherhood of Steeler/Gator OL.

Jakey
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Curtis Brown, Rock Cartwright, Johnny Patrick, Chimdi Chekwa, Davon House.

I could see us targeting any of these CB's.

K Train
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
K Train is jizzing!

I can dig the pick, would rather have Curtis Brown though.

hahaha two steeler mocks i had i had heyward/brown and williams/gilbert

i am the master

K Train
04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
new list for this round:

Curtis Brown
Quinton Carter
Johnny Patrick
Kendrick Ellis
Jerrell Powe
Greg Jones
Brandon Burton
Martez Wilson
Marcus Cannon????
Deunta Williams?

hmmm

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
new list for this round:

Curtis Brown
Quinton Carter
Johnny Patrick
Kendrick Ellis
Jerrell Powe
Greg Jones
Brandon Burton
Martez Wilson
Marcus Cannon????
Deunta Williams?

hmmm

I'd add Leonard Hankerson to that list.

Jakey
04-29-2011, 08:00 PM
I approve of this list...and adding Hank.

Edmund Gates is pretty intriguing too as a workout warrior.

K Train
04-29-2011, 08:04 PM
pettis will be on the next round list

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 08:06 PM
I want Cannon sooooo bad now. Gilbert and Cannon would be fantastic additions to our O-line.

Starks - Kemo - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

then next year

Gilbert - Cannon - Pouncey - Colon - Starks?/Rookie

Will Rackley is still on board and I like him too, small school prospect.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Also, props for the picks K-Train.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Another candidate for us: RB Taiwain Jones, blazing complement for Mendenhall.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Holy crap, I completely forgot about Allen Bailey!

Yet another candidate.

K Train
04-29-2011, 08:24 PM
**** add bailey...**** i feel dumb now