PDA

View Full Version : Akeem Ayers

GaMeTiMe
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
What's the consensus on him after the combine?

Listed: 6'4 255 4.70
Combine: 6'2 254 4.88

Looked fine in drills but every year guys who were considered in that 15-25 range get pushed down a bit after the combine. Ayers, without a true scheme fit looks like an early-mid 2nd rounder to me at this point. I always saw his ceiling being to San Diego at 18 and it's not outside of the realm of possibility at this point but you'd think they would want to take advantage of the fantastic 3-4 DE class at that spot.

Caulibflower
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Much smaller and slower than advertised, and I didn't like him in the first to begin with. To me, he's a third or fourth rounder at best.

SenorGato
03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
He just got Brandon Spiked...kinda...not really.

Bostonblows91
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't really think he tanked his stock with that combine, the 40 he ran at the combine isn't going to change all the tape, he plays fast. Or maybe he gets lucky and it just seems like he plays fast? Anyway i can't see him falling beyond the top of round 2.

RaiderNation
03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I think the top 20 hype is officially over now, and he is a late1st-mid 2nd

J-Mike88
03-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't really think he tanked his stock with that combine, the 40 he ran at the combine isn't going to change all the tape....Curious, but on tape, how many sacks did Akeem register?

ElectricEye
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Curious, but on tape, how many sacks did Akeem register?

How many sacks did he need to register? He's a OLB in a 4-3 and not a good candidate for a 3-4. He's not a pass rusher and has never been marketed as such outside of the triangle numbers for it. Pointless post there.

descendency
03-04-2011, 02:48 AM
How many sacks did he need to register? He's a OLB in a 4-3 and not a good candidate for a 3-4. He's not a pass rusher and has never been marketed as such outside of the triangle numbers for it. Pointless post there.

He played DE and had played DE on 3rd downs quite a bit.

He's just not that good against good tackles.

bigfreak314
03-04-2011, 07:42 AM
He did play with his hand in the dirt and was effective, seemed like everyone knew he didn't have good straight line speed, at least scouting wise, maybe it was because he ran slow last spring. His biggest knock, from what i hear is shedding blocks. I remember the show he put on when UCLA came to Austin and he was unblockable. He had 2 sacks one of them he blew up the back in the backfield to get to the QB, and a crucial forced fumble. I think he needs to be in Jim Johnson type system to excel otherwise he is going to be a bust.

descendency
03-04-2011, 09:08 AM
He did play with his hand in the dirt and was effective, seemed like everyone knew he didn't have good straight line speed, at least scouting wise, maybe it was because he ran slow last spring. His biggest knock, from what i hear is shedding blocks. I remember the show he put on when UCLA came to Austin and he was unblockable. He had 2 sacks one of them he blew up the back in the backfield to get to the QB, and a crucial forced fumble. I think he needs to be in Jim Johnson type system to excel otherwise he is going to be a bust.

Quite frankly, his biggest knock is that some of his film makes him look like he's playing like a girl. (see the Temple game on youtube). It could be just a bad game for him or it could be a trend.

ElectricEye
03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
He played DE and had played DE on 3rd downs quite a bit.

He's just not that good against good tackles.
That's not in his future though. Same argument was used to knock Cushing who played a similar role. Not commenting on Ayers as prospect, just saying it's not a good argument to use for a guy who is obviously not going to play OLB in a 3-4/DE in the NFL.

SenorGato
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Ayers' best hope in a 3-4 is ILB...which I think could be fun with a little coaching.

Big Bird
03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Ayers was a bit overrated in the first place. He never belonged in Top 20 talk. The only reason people are "disappointed" by his Combine performance is because they expected too much in the first place. I've had him late 1st and I'm going to keep him there. I don't care how "average" his workout was, he's still got a lot of talent. The guy can impact a game with his versatility.

J255979-11nine
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Ayers' best hope in a 3-4 is ILB...which I think could be fun with a little coaching.

How can a can whose biggest detriment is shedding blocks be best fitted as a 3-4 ILB?

wonderbredd24
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I always looked at this guy as an inside linebacker in the 3-4 or a strong side linebacker in the 4-3. Could he be moved around and do different things? Sure, but that seemed like his best fit.

The number of outside linebackers playing in the 4-3 in college that move to outside linebacker in the 3-4 has to be virtually zero.