PDA

View Full Version : LB Greg Jones 1st or 2nd Round?

Texas Homer
03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking late 1st or early 2nd.

I'd LOVE if he was available for the Texans in the 2nd round.

I think that Jones is a very talented player.

I'm not saying that Jones is DeMeco Ryans, but DeMeco was a 2nd round pick.

TheMorningZoo
03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Really talented guy, but his stock has been on the decline lately. Questions about his size and I think he didn't fare to well in one of the all-star games, but should still be a 2nd Rounder if all goes well... I had him at the top of the 2nd initially, but I could see him going in the third as well

Hurricanes25
03-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I really like him but he is not a first round pick. Like TMZ above said, his stock is on the decline so I see him as a later 2nd or a 3rd round pick. If he does go in the third, I expect him to outplay his draft selection.

RaiderNation
03-05-2011, 01:48 PM
He is a solid 2nd round pick for me. Could work out at ILB or OLB depending on the scheme

yourfavestoner
03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Really talented guy, but his stock has been on the decline lately. Questions about his size and I think he didn't fare to well in one of the all-star games, but should still be a 2nd Rounder if all goes well... I had him at the top of the 2nd initially, but I could see him going in the third as well

He got his **** pushed in during the bowl game against Bama, too. Couldn't get off a block to save his life.

Hurricanes25
03-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Also, I don't think he'll be looked at by 3-4 teams and that may cause him to fall a little bit in the draft.

eagles6606
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Really good player in college, but he has struggled in the post season. A poor showing in the Senior Bowl and a 4.80 forty are not going to cut it. No way he goes in the 1st round, he should still go between rounds 2 and 4. My bet is that he's a 3rd rounder...

ElectricEye
03-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Not a fan. Run and tackle guy, not a true difference maker on any defense. Willing to bet he's a third round type guy in the end.

Babylon
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Not a fan. Run and tackle guy, not a true difference maker on any defense. Willing to bet he's a third round type guy in the end.

Same here, would have liked the thread to be a little less misleading.

I always chuckle at thread titles that imply things, like "The QB race is down to Newton and Gabbert", stop implying things already.

CheeseKnuckles
03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Better ILB in the pros Greg Jones or Nate Irving?

TACKLE
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Irving, hands down.

DBNYDP
03-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Greg Jones's stock has been in absolute free fall.
Bad bowl game.
Bad Senior Bowl week.
Bad combine.

bigfreak314
03-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Definitely Irvin, he's bigger and more athletic.

DBNYDP
03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I think right now my ranking for ILB is something like...
Martez Wilson
Kelvin Sheppard
Quan Sturdivant
Nate Irving
Greg Jones

yourfavestoner
03-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Greg Jones's stock has been in absolute free fall.
Bad bowl game.
Bad Senior Bowl week.
Bad combine.

Not good. I didn't know he ran such a slow 40 at the combine. So we have a MLB who is small, slow, and can't get off blocks. Sounds undraftable to me.

brasho
03-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Not good. I didn't know he ran such a slow 40 at the combine. So we have a MLB who is small, slow, and can't get off blocks. Sounds undraftable to me.

I wouldn't call him undraftable, but not a very good prospect at all. I watched MSU this season for the sole purpose to watch Jones... and he never impressed.

Not a big striker, doesn't meet many plays in the hole, gets zero depth on his pass drops-unless he was actually spying McElroy in the bowl game... then he completely failed to stand out at the Senior Bowl... was pathetically slow at the combine for a smaller LB. I went from being interested to wanting to avoid this guy like the plague. In the games I watched Jones, I came away more impressed with Gordon... whom nobody seems to rate very highly... but I thought he was the best MSU LB in the games I saw this season.

Nebula
03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Absolutely won't go into the late 1st round. 3rd round is more likely. He's extremely instinctive but his size and lack of instincts in coverage will hurt him. He may have all sorts of trouble shifting through trash in the nfl at his size. He had a very unimpressive combine as well. Hell, I might be too generous with a 3rd round pick -- he may go 4th round now.

J255979-11nine
03-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I have a feeling he won't even be drafted.

brasho
03-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I think 4th or 5th is most likely best case...

This is just a HORRIBLE year to find ILBs and 4-3 Wills... HORRIBLE!

P-L
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking 4th or 5th round pick as well. Maybe even 6th... Too small to play inside and too slow to play outside. Productive college player, but not much of an NFL prospect.

CheeseKnuckles
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Nate Irving looks like a stud... Kid flies to the ball and seems to make quite a few plays.

ThePudge
03-06-2011, 03:17 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking 4th or 5th round pick as well. Maybe even 6th... Too small to play inside and too slow to play outside. Productive college player, but not much of an NFL prospect.

Consider me in this boat as well. I wasn't overly impressed with Jones' ability in traffic this past year and he appears too small/slow on tape to be an impact player in the NFL. I don't know that he's a starter at the next level like many seem to think he is. He's not in my top 100 and I think he was one of the more overrated prospects in this class entering the season.

Iamcanadian
03-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I have him in the 70's on my board which translates to round 3 prospect. He has a chance as an ILB in a 3-4 defense but may only end up as a special teamer at the next level.

Nebula
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
He got his **** pushed in during the bowl game against Bama, too. Couldn't get off a block to save his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZpORGqe6Z8

In my opinion that's a bit overblown. Wasn't great, but wasn't overly bad either.

Have no idea why he fell to the 6th round other than size. If so then the Giants got an absolute steal of a pick

phlysac
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Have no idea why he fell to the 6th round other than size. If so then the Giants got an absolute steal of a pick

Other than size?

Greg Jones 6'0 242 lbs
Patrick Willis 6'1 241 lbs

Yeah, it's clearly size that caused his fall.

Duffman57
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM

In my opinion that's a bit overblown. Wasn't great, but wasn't overly bad either.

Yah, a HIGHLIGHT video isn't gonna help your cause. In games, he gets off almost no blocks and plays about as weak as you can. He's just not a good player if he's not playing behind a great DL.

Nebula
05-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Yah, a HIGHLIGHT video isn't gonna help your cause. In games, he gets off almost no blocks and plays about as weak as you can. He's just not a good player if he's not playing behind a great DL.

I was specifically talking about that game, not every game. I know damn well Greg Jones' size limits him his ability to take on blocks.

Good to know you didn't even watch the video, that's not a highlight video at all. It's a combination of both highlights and lowlights. Way to lose credibility already 3 words into your post lol

Nebula
05-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Other than size?

Greg Jones 6'0 242 lbs
Patrick Willis 6'1 241 lbs

Yeah, it's clearly size that caused his fall.

And the problems that come with that size and somewhat short arms (taking on blockers). He measured 5'11 7/8 at the senior bowl. His added weight also caused him to lose some of his speed and explosiveness.

Guys like Gary Brackett, Antonio Pierce, Curtis Lofton, etc. all struggle against blockers somewhat.

Obviously Jones isn't a first round pick that fell, he has other problems like lack of elite athleticism and such. But please go on and assume what you think I meant

phlysac
05-08-2011, 05:55 PM
And the problems that come with that size and somewhat short arms (taking on blockers). He measured 5'11 7/8 at the senior bowl. His added weight also caused him to lose some of his speed and explosiveness.

Guys like Gary Brackett, Antonio Pierce, Curtis Lofton, etc. all struggle against blockers somewhat.

Obviously Jones isn't a first round pick that fell, he has other problems like lack of elite athleticism and such. But please go on and assume what you think I meant

I didn't make an assumption AT ALL. Your exact quote was...

Have no idea why he fell to the 6th round other than size.

And I compared his size. What's funny is that you say you have no idea why other than size yet in your next post you say that he lost speed and explosion due to weight gain. That he struggles to take on blockers (comparing him to other ILBs of similar stature.) And you also mention that he doesn't have elite athleticism.

So when you say that size is the only reason, what you meant was that...

1. Size
2. Inability to shed blocks
3. Lack of speed
4. Lack of explosion
5. Lack of elite athleticism.

there are at least 5 reasons.

I feel he can succeed. But to say that size was the only reason he fell is simply not the case, as you mentioned several other reasons as well.

BaLLiN
05-08-2011, 06:23 PM
1. Size
2. Inability to shed blocks
3. Lack of speed
4. Lack of explosion
5. Lack of elite athleticism.

a 6'0'' ILB isn't terrible. he has long arms for his size so in coverage its not like he's at a disadvantage, and it should be easier for him to get leverage in case an OL is coming to wash him down.

i wouldn't say he is unable to shed blocks, he's just inconsistent but is very slippery and will evade the block. This inconsistency will appear against Wisconsin, he does shed blocks from two of the best run blocking linemen in the nation (Carimi and Moffitt) in route to a tackle.

Lack of timed speed, his game speed is good especially when he is closing on a ballcarrier. He closes the gap in a hurry. He also gained alot of weight, which could have contributed to this drop in speed because as a junior he was FAYUST.

Lack of explosion- see above comment.

Lack of elite athleticism, i agree with this.