PDA

View Full Version : Darkhorse 1st Round Picks

JohnCandy
03-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Who are your picks of players that could really shock people when they go in the 1st round?

Every year there is a couple of players that sneak in that have not been discussed as 1st round picks.

WR Randall Cobb

OG Orlando Franklin

DE Jabaal Sheard

DT Marvin Austin

Don Vito
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
There are a couple of guys I could see some teams falling in love with and taking a little earlier than expected. Kendall Hunter, Mason Foster, and Drake Nevis would fit that bill for me.

Scotty D
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Christian Ballard, DL - Iowa

fenikz
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Ben Ijalana, Kyle Rudolph, Danny Watkins, Mason Foster

P-L
03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Christian Ballard would be mine as well. It also wouldn't surprise me if one of the Browns from Texas sneaked into the late 1st round as well.

TACKLE
03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Ben Ijalana, Kyle Rudolph, Danny Watkins, Mason Foster

I approve of this list. Jabaal Sheard would be the other name I'd throw in there.

JohnCandy
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Brooks Reed is a good call that guy is channeling some serious Clay Matthews right now.

I think their is so much parity in the OL class that most of the surprises are going to come out of that position.

Matthew Jones
03-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Guys I think could go in the first round, but who aren't usually mocked there:

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas*

WR Titus Young, Boise St.

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame*

OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova

OG Danny Watkins, Baylor

DT Christian Ballard, Iowa

DT Drake Nevis, Louisiana St.

DT Phil Taylor, Baylor

LB Martez Wilson, Illinois*

Babylon
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Christian Ponder
Jon Baldwin
Danny Watkins
Kris Odowd

thegreatone
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Brooks Reed was the first person I thought of.

Martez Wilson is another guy as well.

Iamcanadian
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Christian Ponder
Jon Baldwin
Danny Watkins
Kris Odowd

First 3 are decent but Kris O'Dowd, no way, he has no lower body strength and simply cannot handle a bull rush.

Babylon
03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
First 3 are decent but Kris O'Dowd, no way, he has no lower body strength and simply cannot handle a bull rush.

He always looked good in the 10 or so SC games i saw this year, injuries would probably concern me more but i like the guy. Wouldnt mind him in Seattle if he drops to the second.

Docta
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Stefen Wisniewski
Christian Ballard
Leonard Hankerson

Ijalana, Taylor, and Watkins aren't really darkhorse picks anymore.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-05-2011, 08:24 PM
I'll throw one out that no one else will say, Kelvin Sheppard. More of a 3rd/4th round player but he is that kind of solid player that a team in the late first looking for an instant starting ILB might take. Curtis Brown or some other not talked about corner might sneak into the first.

DBNYDP
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm sure I haven't seen more of Kelvin Sheppard than scouts have. But from the 8 or so games of LSU that I watched I thought he was an stud. If I needed an inside linebacker/MLB, and I was picking in that 20-30 range I'd take him. Maybe someone does feel that way even though it is unlikely, most likely even if someone feels like he is worth a 1st, they might just wait to take him in the second to optimize value.

Some guys that might go in the first...
-Jordan Toddman
I really like this guy, he's got a lot of things I look for in a running back and I feel like some team just might take a shot at him as a feature back or a compliment to a guy who is a bit more of a power runner. I could see maybe Green Bay going after him, or even the Ravens.
-Marvin Austin
Well this guy is a "top 10" talent, and he was ranked as the #1/#2 DT before this year, so some team might really like that potential that he has, and feel he is a steal.
-Mason Foster
One of the most impressive linebackers I've seen. I think he'll be a great LB in this league, and I'm sure some team might feel the same way. Has a lot of versatility, and I feel like someone might just want his talent/intangibles in the first.
-Quinton Carter
Personally I like Carter more than Rahim Moore, because I think Carter is a bit more versatile. He covers very well, but I'd say Moore is better. But on the other hand, I think Carter can play well in the box, and there are plenty of teams that would love a safety that can do all the things Carter can do.
-COLIN KAEPERNICK
If you love a QB you take a QB wherever. Who knows right? Tebow happened last year. If someone falls in love with the kid and it is possible given his potential/intangibles, why not right?

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2011, 08:44 PM
No mention of Phil Taylor yet?

OSUGiants17
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Brookszzzzzzzzzzzz Reedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TACKLE
03-05-2011, 08:59 PM
No mention of Phil Taylor yet?

I don't think he's much of a darkhorse anymore.

FUNBUNCHER
03-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Dontay Moch. 248# and runs FAST.

TACKLE
03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Clint Boling.

PossibleCabbage
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Dontay Moch. 248# and runs FAST.

That 42" vert has also got to convince people that, if he can put up anything at all on the bench, can rush the passer in the NFL.

ElectricEye
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Brooks Reed, Phil Taylor, and Martez Wilson all should end up in the first.

Draft King
03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Haven't seen a Leonard Hankerson mention yet. Would not be surprised to see him in the 1st.

akvikefan89
03-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Brooks Reed, Phil Taylor, and Martez Wilson all should end up in the first.

Seconded.

(10 char)

brasho
03-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Stefen Wisniewski
Christian Ballard
Leonard Hankerson

Ijalana, Taylor, and Watkins aren't really darkhorse picks anymore.

Any GM that would pick Danny Watkins who is #1, an OG, and #2, going to be 27, should be fired on the spot.

brasho
03-06-2011, 08:00 AM
QB Kaepernick
WR Hankerson (but not Titus Young, he's super quick, but is not the super fast player you guys think he is, he couldn't separate downfield from safeties then ran 4.5's to further illustrate my point, he's too small to not have exceptional quickness AND speed)
OL Franklin, Wisnewski
DE Ballard, Reed
DT Taylor, Austin (though I would be against any team picking him before round 3), Wilkerson
LB Moch, Wilson
S Moore

cajuncorey
03-06-2011, 08:42 AM
cameron heyward and allen bailey are both dark horses... to be availible in the 2nd round

RealityCheck
03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Jerrel Jernigan, Ben Ijalana and Marvin Austin. Yes, that Marvin Austin.

Jakey
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree on the Kelvin Sheppard love, while i dont think he will go in the first, he is gonna be a stud.

Reminds me allot of Curtis Lofton coming out, talented thumper that gets overlooked by most people.