PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwin, ex Director of Personnel for the New York Jets, puts out a mock

Iamcanadian
03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e918d4/article/initial-look-has-gabbert-newton-off-board-in-first-four-picks?module=HP_cp2

Seems to like the top 2 QB's, has them going in the top 5.

bam bam
03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
was he a Director of Personnel for these Jets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

PossibleCabbage
03-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Justin Houston playing OLB in a Cover 2 system? That's one of the weirdest personnel fits I've ever seen.

Rabscuttle
03-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Quinn at 14 is quite the deal. I can't see how the phone wouldn't be ringing off the hook at Lamb central if he was there at 14.

49erNation85
03-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I love his draft for SF.PP is gonna be sick if we land him!

ElectricEye
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
JJ Watt is awesome...

Then...
>the Patriots need a starting LT.

No we don't.

ChiFan24
03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Justin Houston to the Bears. Words don't even...can't even begin to.....there are no.....

descendency
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
JJ Watt is awesome...

Then...
>the Patriots need a starting LT.

No we don't.

They need a starter at OT and getting a tackle on either side is a good idea.

ElectricEye
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
They need a starter at OT and getting a tackle on either side is a good idea.

I understand that...but Vollmer is the future at LT without a doubt in my opinion. Not sure the Sherrod pick reflects that.

killxswitch
03-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Carimi is a great pick, nice job Kirwin.

Brent
03-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I guess the Gabbert one wouldn't be that shocking, when was the last time a QB didn't go in the top 5?

cajuncorey
03-05-2011, 10:02 PM
best mock ive seen to date. kirwin knows his stuff

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I love his draft for SF.PP is gonna be sick if we land him!

IMO I don't think he's gonna fall that far. Could be wrong.

Also while I don't like Jordan over JJ Watt, Dallas would no way sit on their hands and let Peterson and Dareus both go right before them. I know there are no trades in his mock, but just wanted to put that out there. I doubt I see us selling the farm for Peterson, but if he makes it to 4-6 we'd be all over it.

Two QB's going top 5 is our best case scenario by far.

proshoota25
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
G is the most important position on the Pats oline that needs to be addressed. Then C. Then OT. If a guy can play two of those positions, and be very solid, itll be worth the pick in the first round.

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I guess the Gabbert one wouldn't be that shocking, when was the last time a QB didn't go in the top 5?

2009 perhaps? lol.

Brent
03-05-2011, 10:21 PM
2009 perhaps? lol.
two QBs went in the top 5 in 2009. thought you were the "expert" here?

DraftBreakdown
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM

The last time a QB didn't go top 5 was 2000, when Chad Pennington was picked 18th and the next QB wasn't taken until the 3rd round. Then, the next 5 years a QB was taken No. 1. After that, Vince Young went 3, Russell went 1, Ryan 3, Stafford 1, and Bradford 1.

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM

I misread...obviously, lol.

ElectricEye
03-06-2011, 12:42 AM
well, at least kirwan spelled all the players' names right this year. guy is a joke.

Yeah, I agree. I realized that he's not someone you take seriously a few years ago.

Bucs_Rule
03-06-2011, 01:00 AM
was he a Director of Personnel for these Jets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

He came in the year after they passed on Marino.

The fan's comment was great.

Everyone thought the Jets would take Marino if he fell to them. Jets must know something everyone else doesn't.

diabsoule
03-06-2011, 01:17 AM
I don't trust anyone that looks like Dave Wannstedt

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I don't trust anyone that looks like Dave Wannstedt

You watch your ******* mouth.

SenorGato
03-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Jets pick annoys me. I'd rather get Jabaal Sheard or even Reed if we have to reach for an OLB talent.

Iamcanadian
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Justin Houston playing OLB in a Cover 2 system? That's one of the weirdest personnel fits I've ever seen.

I think Houston would be an excellent pass rusher at DE for a 4-3 defense, I think you'll see him play at 285lbs and really question his ability to play at that weight as an OLB in a 3-4 defense.

nepg
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Kirwan's mocks usually suck, but this one was decent.

Tom Servo
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I know the Locker thing has been beat to death, but comparing him to Jake Plummer...whatever Pat

LizardState
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Very pragmatic draft for need kind of mock from Kirwin. In a new CBA yr. where salaries will fluctuate wildly, big contracts renegotiated right & left across all 32 teams & a rock bottom dismal global economy I can see teams playing it safe next month.

Some questions/comments:

3. Buffalo Bills
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Some will say Ryan Fitzpatrick is just fine,

...b/c he is just fine, disagree here, new coach will be practical & see the forest & not the trees in Buffalo's undertalented roster & fill other needs.

4. Cincinnati Bengals
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

Even though the Bengals have needs at defensive end, safety and wide receiver, they might feel compelled to take a quarterback here, especially with the situation surrounding Carson Palmer, who sounds serious about never playing in Cincinnati again.

Is Palmer formcing them to go QB b/c of his borderline temper tantrum, "I'll never play here again" venting to the media? Yes he is. Wouldnt be the 1st time Mike Brown has played with fire by overdrafting a player early & been burned either.

5. Arizona Cardinals
Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

If history is any indicator of what happens in a draft, then the Cardinals might find the top two quarterbacks gone by this point. Miller is an outstanding talent and a great selection here. He starts from Day 1 and will be a pass-rush factor.

Everybody knows Zona is desperate for a QB. He explains the lack Their Guy at QB here so they go another direction & it's sort of sensible if they think they can get a serviceable rookie QB -- Kaepernick, Ponder, Dalton -- later in the draft. And yes they allegedly in love with Miller as are others, their defense & pass rush has sucked since they let Dansby go rather than pay him, cheapness is a Bidwell family tradition after all.

9. Dallas Cowboys
Cameron Jordan, DE, California

The Cowboys need a corner and a right tackle .....

Rumored to take Tyron Smith as a surprise early pick for the new RT, but nobody loves the sexy pick like Jerry, Dallas is one of many teams who fell in deep love with Jordan at the Sr. Bowl, & he's preferable to Watt in the same role. And Dallas' defense plummeted in nfl rankings last yr compared to 09, inexcusable. they need to replace Spears at DE & need a new CB &/or safety

11. Houston Texans
Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

2 #1 CBs in 2 successive drafts? Well draft for need is where it's at & their pass defense sucked last yr b/c Kareem Jackson was a rookie & Demeco Ryans went on IR early

If there's a near perfect sensible picks 1st rd. here it's NE with Watt & then Sherrod, who I think will play OL in the NFL for yrs to come barring injury. Once more the Bellichick draft machine dominates the 1st rd. -- it's getting to be an April tradition.

29. Chicago Bears
Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia

While some feel Houston is a better fit in a 3-4 defense, the Bears need a "Sam" linebacker with some pass-rush skills. Houston had 10 sacks in 2010 and would fit nicely with Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs.

I realize Houston's stock is climbing, but the Bears are rumored to go interior line here, anyone who saw their OL last yr would agree.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers
Brandon Harris, CB Miami

The Steelers can't wait any longer to address their need at corner. With all the spread offenses isolating secondary players and taking blitz pressure away from defenses, the Steelers need a cover corner. Harris supports the run and is aggressive, and those are necessary traits in Pittsburgh.

Will the SB loser take the other Pouncey twin to have both together again in the NFL? Naw, that's too cute even for the Steelers, but when all your front 5 on the OL go down by the SB, that s/b a red flag for young quality reserves instead of making it on PS guys. Besides, isn't Hines Ward retiring? maybe another WR in later rds.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Rumored to take Tyron Smith as a surprise early pick for the new RT, but nobody loves the sexy pick like Jerry, Dallas is one of many teams who fell in deep love with Jordan at the Sr. Bowl, & he's preferable to Watt in the same role. And Dallas' defense plummeted in nfl rankings last yr compared to 09, inexcusable. they need to replace Spears at DE & need a new CB &/or safety

Rumored as in some posters on this board say it might happen, or rumored as in some people within the Cowboys organization are high on him? Not saying it isn't true, but I would love if we were linked to Smith I jut haven't heard anything like that. Only people talking about him are some people here.

PossibleCabbage
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I think Houston would be an excellent pass rusher at DE for a 4-3 defense, I think you'll see him play at 285lbs and really question his ability to play at that weight as an OLB in a 3-4 defense.

I agree that Houston would be fine at DE opposite Peppers, but that's not what Kirwan is suggesting:

While some feel Houston is a better fit in a 3-4 defense, the Bears need a "Sam" linebacker with some pass-rush skills.

Playing Houston as a linebacker in any 4-3 system, not to mention the Bears 4-3 system that probably requires more coverage skills from their LBs than any defense in the league, is absolutely off the walls crazy.

FUNBUNCHER
03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
IMO Shanahan won't draft a WR that high in the first, even if he is a young T.O.

Their defense was the worst in the league statistically last season, and if Quinn is still on the board, he's a Skin and will line up opposite Orakpo to give them arguably the best set of young 34 OLBs in the NFL.

I can't envision any scenario where Solder is taken before Tyron Smith.

NT Phil Taylor to the Chiefs might be the piece that puts them in the AFCC.
Torrey Smith to the Ravens is really a smart pick and gives that offense a legit deep threat.

Cutler needs a bigger target at WR than the Chi-town smurfs and I could see them go with Hankerson at 29. I think we see the Bears maneuver on draft day to position themselves to take Baldwin.

Solid mock, all the picks make sense. Bowers is going to have to show he's a superior athlete who also puts up great stats, and wasn't simply a skilled college guy who lacks exceptional tools to go #1.

For a DE to go 1/1, he usually is a freak athlete AND a football player.
Bowers easily is the latter, not sure about the former.

descendency
03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Tyron Smith is a sexy pick...

How many OTs come built like a TE at 320 LBs? Granted, the last one I can remember was a total bust, but he went very high.

I can't envision any scenario where Solder is taken before Tyron Smith.

I was just thinking the opposite. I'll take Smith as my #1 OT in the draft. I don't know a ton about playing on the OL - so I'm not saying he won't bust, but I am saying he's the highest drafted OL.

Solder will get abused in the NFL. Lacking a natural knee bend will allow OLBs in the now dominantly favored 34 defense to get leverage and bend right by him.

brasho
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

I don't know, what year was it that the Raiders drafted that fat OG named JaMarcus Russell #1 overall?

brasho
03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
I seriously doubt that Kirwin, along with a bunch of other guys outside the organizations, realize that Adrian Clayborn is falling rapidly due to his poor senior performance, average combine workouts, and health issues with his right arm that at the very least will preclude him from playing anything other than RDE in the pros... and considering he's got the movement skills of a LDE, that isn't good news. There's no way Clayborn goes tto the Bucs.

brasho
03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

I don't know, the Bucs pick suggests he's lazy and didn't do much homework.. the Houston to the Bears as a Sam pick suggests he's senile. Why would a team pick a 270 lb DE/LB to put in coverage and do anything other than rush the passer most of the time?

T-RICH49
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
me likey KC's pick

Sportsfan486
03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
He has the Packers taking.. Pouncey.... because... Pouncey told him he can play tackle... Wow.

I mean.. I like Pouncey but he's a guard. He's not a center. He's definitely not a tackle. He's a guard.. and we have a young all-pro guard and servicable at the other side. It'd be an awful pick.

Babylon
03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I know the Locker thing has been beat to death, but comparing him to Jake Plummer...whatever Pat

That was a quote from Mike Shanahan that was probably repeated. Locker and Plummer probably have little to nothing in common so that was classic curveball thrown there by Shanny.

All these people coming out with their mocks, who's next Howdy Doody?