03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
1: Andy Dalton
2: Christian Ponder
3: Jake Locker
4: Greg McElroy
5: Blaine Gabbert

eagles6606
03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Wow...u guys must be kidding with having Dalton, Ponder, and Mccelroy ahead of Gabbert and Newton.

1. Blaine Gabbert
Has the size, arm strength, accuracy, and intangibles to be a very good starting QB in the NFL. Has some questions about the Missouri system, but a very safe pick.
-Early 1st
2. Cam Newton
Has the size, arm strength, and accuracy of an elite QB. However, there are some questions with Cam's intangibles that need to be answered and he also must improve his footwork. Still, has all the tools to be an elite QB.
-Early 1st
3. Jake Locker
Locker has the size, arm strength, mobility, and intangibles of a star QB. The only problem is he is not very accurate. Still, with those kind of tools and intangibles, Locker is worth the risk.
-Mid/Late 1st
4. Ryan Mallett
Mallett has incredible size and arm strength and played in a pro style system with Arkansas and Bobby Petrino. However, there are serious questions about his intangibles/leadership that could prevent him from being a good QB. Mallett also must improve his mechanics, especially footwork and pockett presence.
-Late 1st/Early 2nd
5. Christian Ponder
While Ponder has serious questions about his duability, he has really improved his stock during the Senior Bowl and the combine. Ponder has a high football IQ and is very accurate. Could be a starter on a West Coast team...
-Early 3rd

ATLDirtyBirds
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
1. Cameron Newton
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Jake Locker
4. Christian Ponder
5. Ryan Mallet

JaxJag_1
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Not kidding at all.

Grizzlegom
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Actual Rankings:

1. Gabbert
2. Newton
3. Mallett
4. Locker
5. Ponder

What my BB would look like if I were running a team:
1. Gabbert
2. Mallett
3. Locker
4. Kaepernick
5. Stanzi

SchizophrenicBatman
03-06-2011, 09:12 PM
The only guy in the entire draft I'd feel comfortable taking where he's actually going to go is Stanzi

Everyone else is either undraftable or going way higher than they should be

But if you apply the "he's going to be your QB, who gives a **** where you take him" law I guess Newton and Gabbert are in the picture

TACKLE
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Actual Rankings:

1. Gabbert
2. Newton
3. Mallett
4. Locker
5. Ponder

1. Gabbert
2. Mallett
3. Locker
4. Kaepernick
5. Stanzi

Please explain to me the concept and reasoning behind the two different lists. It just doesn't make sense to me.

shylo3716
03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
1.Cam Newton
2.Blaine Gabbert
3.Jake Locker
4.Ryan Mallet
5.Christian Ponder
*Tyrod Taylor*

MikeTheDudeV2
03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
1. Cam Newton
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Christian Ponder
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Jake Locker

princefielder28
03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
1. Ryan Mallet :: Arkansas*
2. Ricky Stanzi :: Iowa
3. Jake Locker :: Washington
4. Cam Newton :: Auburn*
5. Blaine Gabbert :: Missouri*

Hurricanes25
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
1. Ryan Mallett
2. Cam Newton
3. Jake Locker
4. Blaine Gabbert
5. Christian Ponder

wonderbredd24
03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
You have some cajones

1. Jake Locker, Washington
2. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
3. Cam Newton, Auburn
4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State

gpngc
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
1 - Ryan Mallett
2 - Cam Newton
3 - Blaine Gabbert
4 - Greg McElroy
5 - Jake Locker

Don Vito
03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Jake Locker
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Christian Ponder
5. Cam Newton

cajuncorey
03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
here im gonna put a sensible top 5

1. Jake Locker
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Ryan Mallet
4. Cam Newton
5. Christian Ponder

Sniper
03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Here's my prediction as to how their careers pan out.

1. Ricky Stanzi
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Colin Kaepernick
4. Christian Ponder
5. Blaine Gabbert

Dark Horse: Greg McElroy

Chidi29
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
1. Ryan Mallett
2. Nathan Enderle
3. Cam Newton
4. Jake Locker
5. Colin Kaepernick

ThePudge
03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
1. Cameron Newton - Auburn - Top 5 Pick
2. Ryan Mallett - Arkansas - Mid 1st-Early 2nd
3. Jake Locker - Washington - Mid 1st-Early 2nd
4. Blaine Gabbert - Missouri - Top 15 Pick
5. Christian Ponder - Florida State - Early 2nd-Early 3rd

Babylon
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
You have some cajones

1. Jake Locker, Washington
2. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
3. Cam Newton, Auburn
4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State

I have to second this. I would probably put Christian Ponder ahead of Mallett, not from a standpoint of throwing the football because Mallett has the best arm in the draft but from the mobility, smarts, intangibles standpoint.

Crickett
03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
In what order I think they will be drafted.
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Cam Newton
3. Jake Locker
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Colin Kaepernick

1. Just wait until next year to draft a QB.
2. Sign a free agent QB.

wonderbredd24
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I have to second this. I would probably put Christian Ponder ahead of Mallett, not from a standpoint of throwing the football because Mallett has the best arm in the draft but from the mobility, smarts, intangibles standpoint.
If they are playing 7 on 7, Mallett is the guy. Unfortunately, there's that damn pocket.

BuddyCHRIST
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
1. Locker
2. Newton
3. Ponder
4. Mallett
5. Gabbert

Babylon
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
If they are playing 7 on 7, Mallett is the guy. Unfortunately, there's that damn pocket.

I love his arm, the rest screams Ryan Leaf.

Babylon
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
In what order I think they will be drafted.
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Cam Newton
3. Jake Locker
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Colin Kaepernick

1. Just wait until next year to draft a QB.
2. Sign a free agent QB.

Not sure what your holding out for after Andrew Luck. Barkely is ok but there are probably 3 or 4 better than him this year and guys like Landry Jones and Terrell Pryor arent much.

Crickett
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Not sure what your holding out for after Andrew Luck.

It's not so much what I'm holding out for, but rather that I'm not especially sold on any of the quarterbacks available this year.

jrdrylie
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
If I'm the GM

1. Jake Locker
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Christian Ponder
4. Cam Newton
5. Andy Dalton

I would take the first three in round one. I really don't like Newton, but if I had a pick late in the second, his upside would be hard to pass up. Dalton in the third. Everyone else looks like a career backup and I wouldn't even pick up Mallett as an UDFA.

FUNBUNCHER
03-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Strange the level of paranoia against Mallett that isn't supported by one iota of fact.

As my nanna used to say, a lie travels around the world twice before the truth sets foot out the door.

And for those who have Kaepernick rated in their top five instead of Newton, why?? Physically almost the same player, except Newton in one year as the starter had maybe the most epic season by a QB ever.

One year starter = undefeated in SEC, Heisman Trophy, NC.

Ponder IMO will have the injury bug come up again. Gabbert I simply don't think is a very good QB and lacks courage in the pocket. If Mallett learns to slide in the pocket and get rid of the ball a la Brady/Manning before pressure gets to him, IMO he's going to be the best QB in this class.
Unless of course Newton learns to grind in the pros off the field to become the absolutely best QB he can possibly be, in which case he will dominate.

jrdrylie
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
And for those who have Kaepernick rated in their top five instead of Newton, why?? Physically almost the same player, except Newton in one year as the starter had maybe the most epic season by a QB ever.

Cam Newton as a Junior- 4327 total yards 50 TDs and 7 INTs
Tim Tebow as a Sophomore- 4181 Total yards (one less game) 55 TDs and 6 INTs

Cam's season, while very good, was not as epic as a lot of his fans say it was. It wasn't even the best year by a quarterback in the last five years.

SenorGato
03-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Cam Newton
Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Christian Ponder

49erNation85
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
1)Jake Locker
2)Ryan Mallet
3) Cam Newton
4)Blaine Gabbert
5) Christian Ponder

SimonRath
03-07-2011, 12:20 AM
1. Cam Newton
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Jake Locker
4. Andy Dalton
5. i hate the rest...

gpngc
03-07-2011, 12:23 AM
The funniest thing about Ponder is that he played terribly for most of his career. Many people choose to ignore it for some reason.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-07-2011, 12:39 AM
The funniest thing about Ponder is that he played terribly for most of his career. Many people choose to ignore it for some reason.

I honestly don't get it. I've tried my best but it's time to give up convincing people otherwise.

TitansFTW
03-07-2011, 12:51 AM
My Top 5 Qb's in the draft are...

1) Blaine Gabbert - Missouri
2) Cam Newton - Auburn
3) Jake Locker - Washington
4) Ryan Mallett - Arkansas
5) Colin Kaepernick - Nevada

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Cam Newton as a Junior- 4327 total yards 50 TDs and 7 INTs
Tim Tebow as a Sophomore- 4181 Total yards (one less game) 55 TDs and 6 INTs

Cam's season, while very good, was not as epic as a lot of his fans say it was. It wasn't even the best year by a quarterback in the last five years.

On a mediocre Auburn football team, I'd say what Newton did was even more impressive.

He didn't have Florida's talent on offense or defense, and frequently had to score to come back in games because the D was constantly giving up leads.
The Gators also didn't win the NC or go undefeated the year Tebow won the Heisman, unlike Cam.

Newton had arguably the greatest season ever for a one year starter, not simply the greatest statistical year. And it's interesting you forgot to mention that Cam rushed for nearly 600 more yards than Tebow the year he won the Heisman.

katnip
03-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Mine

Gabbert
Locker
Newton
Mallett
Kaepernick

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 01:26 AM
1. Cameron Newton
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Blaine Gabbert
4. Christian Ponder
4. Jake Locker
5. Ricky Stanzi
5. Colin Kaepernick

I couldn't really pick a clear 4 or 5. I hope that's not considered cheating.

descendency
03-07-2011, 01:39 AM
1. Christian Ponder
2. Jake Locker
3. Cameron Newton
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Andy Dalton

or my list of QBs who should be in this class:

1. Andrew Luck

102. Christian Ponder
103. Cameron Newton
104. Jake Locker
105. No one.

99999999999999999999999999999999998. Ryan Mallett
99999999999999999999999999999999999. Blaine Gabbert
100000000000000000000000000000000000. Tyrod Taylor

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Wow...u guys must be kidding with having Dalton, Ponder, and Mccelroy ahead of Gabbert and Newton.

1. Blaine Gabbert
Has the size, arm strength, accuracy, and intangibles to be a very good starting QB in the NFL. Has some questions about the Missouri system, but a very safe pick.
-Early 1st

2. Cam Newton
Has the size, arm strength, and accuracy of an elite QB. However, there are some questions with Cam's intangibles that need to be answered and he also must improve his footwork. Still, has all the tools to be an elite QB.
-Early 1st

Not sure if you got confused or not, but the bolded was extremely confusing. In fact it's pretty much the exact opposite on both players.

Sportsfan486
03-07-2011, 02:59 AM
1. Locker
2. Gabbert
3. Newton
4. Mallet
5. Stanzi

I don't like any of the QBs in this draft. Locker, to me, is the best out of them and I wouldn't touch him in the first. None of these guys are even certain to be backup material in the pros. Mallet could be washed out by the end of his rookie year and no one would be surprised. Newton could cash in and simply fail at doing anything. Gabbert and Locker at least have good attitudes and accuracy (at times, heh..) so maybe they develop into good backups.

I see failure in the future for this QB class.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Cam just needs to go to Buffalo.

Grizzlegom
03-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Please explain to me the concept and reasoning behind the two different lists. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Basically, the first list is what my list is as a draft analyst and the second list would be if I were an actual Coach/GM. Newton wouldn't be on my board at all and Ponder wouldn't fit the offense I would be running and that's why they aren't on my second list.

Babylon
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Ponder was a 68% passer as a junior, dropped off to the low 60s this year, without crunching the numbers i'd say they measured up with Gabbert's.

I think his concern is just the physical presence he brings to the game, when you look at the top 3 or 4 they are bigger and stronger with better arms, his college numbers are actually pretty good to me.

GaMeTiMe
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
1) Cam Newton
2) Jake Locker
3) Colin Kaepernick
4) Blaine Gabbert
5) Andy Dalton

Newton has the highest ceiling of any quarterback in this class and it's not even close. I don't buy into all the hype either and I understand the character concerns, but trying to be cute and putting him at 4, 5 or off your board altogether is going overboard. I understand maybe not wanting to spend a top-3 pick on him if you're an NFL GM, but to say he's not the top QB "prospect" in terms of what he CAN do is ridiculous, especially in this class.

Locker gets the #2 spot because he has a higher floor than someone like Gabbert IMO with only a slightly lower ceiling.

Kaepernick is just a bundle of potential. He's already drawing the Flacco and Freeman comparisons as the guy a team falls in love with and can't wait for their 2nd round pick to take him, whether it be with their 1st rounder or a trade-up into the late first/early second.

Gabbert may be the best pure quarterback prospect in the class in terms of his complete possible ceiling as a passer. That being said he also has a long way to go and may be best suited on a team that already has a starter for the next 3-4 years, not a team that will already count on him to be the sure-fire future franchise QB whether he starts his rookie season or not. I think he needs to fly under the radar, develop a bit, and step in later on a la Rodgers. Jacksonville needs a pass rusher but if Gabbert slips in the first a bit I'd love to see them move up and pick him if they really think Garrard has a few more seasons left.

Dalton just beats out Mallet, and it really is because of the character concerns. Ponder 7th because no matter how good of a combine he had, 3 throwing arm surgeries are 3 throwing arm surgeries..

wonderbredd24
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Newton has the highest ceiling of any quarterback in this class and it's not even close. I don't buy into all the hype either and I understand the character concerns, but trying to be cute and putting him at 4, 5 or off your board altogether is going overboard. I understand maybe not wanting to spend a top-3 pick on him if you're an NFL GM, but to say he's not the top QB "prospect" in terms of what he CAN do is ridiculous, especially in this class.
Perhaps it is because people want to draft a quarterback as opposed to an athlete who just happens to line up under center?

Pil
03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Why is Newton getting the "athlete playing QB" distinction? He threw for a ton of TDs in the SEC, is a natural thrower of the football, and has shown more pocket comfort than Mallett, Locker, Kaep, and others.

Any QB that utilizes his athleticism is fighting an uphill battle against the draftnik community.

wonderbredd24
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Why is Newton getting the "athlete playing QB" distinction? He threw for a ton of TDs in the SEC, is a natural thrower of the football, and has shown more pocket comfort than Mallett, Locker, Kaep, and others.

Any QB that utilizes his athleticism is fighting an uphill battle against the draftnik community.
He has a really nice, natural throwing motion and a fantastic arm. Unfortunately, his footwork is an absolute mess, his accuracy is questionable, and his pocket presence is up for debate. He was typically a one read and if it was not there, run the ball type of QB (something he freely admits), and there are questions of his willingness to throw with good mechanics when he knows he's going to get hit. The system he played in was almost worthless as to how it helps him translate to the NFL. All of this on top of the fact he has 14 career starts and 280 career passes.

It is a great college system and it led to them winning a National Championship (assuming it holds up). Unfortunately, none of that matters for the NFL.

hockey619
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM

posted this in another thread yesterday. Really like stanzi, if any of the talk about mallett's character could be substantiated completely hed fall like a rock. But until then this is what i think.

My rankings...

1) Mallett - Late first rounder. Too many character concerns that i cant answer so that kinda hard. but he's the best passer in this class and it really aint too close, pocket prescense and accuracy arent always great but overall it got a lot better this year. Only question is character, something i dont have straight facts on, and makes some questionable decisions at times. Could be Derek Anderson, could be a better drew bledsoe and do pretty well.

2) Stanzi - Second round. second best passer to me in this class, makes some eh decisions at times and the rush will bother him at times, but he throws down the field well, shows good mechanics and ball placement, and throws a nice fade. arm is solid, accuracy is pretty good but gets spotty under pressure. Only thing i saw that i really didnt like was he really stares down his recievers.

3) Locker - Second to third round. Him and newton are actually pretty similar. Big arm, bad feet leading to shakey accuracy on the short timing throws. Locker appears to have the work ethic and personality of a good QB, but it doesnt seem to come natural to him which is why hes not a solid second round pick.

4) Newton - Third or later. Bad feet leading to shakey accuracy. Questionable guy who early on will rub guys the wrong way until they get to know him, question being how long will that take and will he still be around? Ive said before: i could see him having a career path similar to vick. some success early but not putting in the work on the details (footwork, leading to accuracy issues) and being a runner not a passer. I think he could be a player, but his risk of really flaming out in spectacular fashion is pretty high. His dad's involvement scares me a bit too, too many questions with him and too many places where it could go wrong to have him higher than this imo.

5) Gabbert - third to fifth. he scared in the pocket. awful pocket presence (i still have no idea how to spell that) inconsistent accuracy on all levels. Panics in the pocket and throws it into coverage. Solid arm and can extend plays. I dont see the high pick everyone is touting.

I NEVER WATCHED PONDER, ENDERLE, AND KAEPERNICK PLAY SO I DONT KNOW IF THEYD FIT IN THEIR SOMEWHERE FOR THAT REASON.

Dalton and McElroy: thought both were awful to eh as jrs, looked solid but unspectacular as seniors. Prefer McElroy a little more at this point, might become a decent to solid starter as his upside, gotta see some more of him before I really know though, profiles as more of a backup though.

I really wanna see more but ive been so busy, might have some time next week. This is how i see it as of now.

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
He has a really nice, natural throwing motion and a fantastic arm. Unfortunately, his footwork is an absolute mess, his accuracy is questionable, and his pocket presence is up for debate. He was typically a one read and if it was not there, run the ball type of QB (something he freely admits), and there are questions of his willingness to throw with good mechanics when he knows he's going to get hit. The system he played in was almost worthless as to how it helps him translate to the NFL. All of this on top of the fact he has 14 career starts and 280 career passes.

It is a great college system and it led to them winning a National Championship (assuming it holds up). Unfortunately, none of that matters for the NFL.

Yea but your comment was still unfair to Newton. He is a QB, one that has questions like any other prospect. I don't think that makes Mallett any less of a QB because he is terrible inside the pocket with footwork that only looks correct when he's got a ton of space. Locker had a downright terrible season in an offense that is pretty QB friendly and is a great athlete, but no one says he's not a QB.

Anquan Boldin was an athlete playing QB, Newton shouldn't get that label that he's not a QB and he's just some "athlete who happens to line up under center" just because he's a one of a kind athlete who still needs to work on his game. Makes no sense. Every other QB in this class has some serious flaws in their game, no one is a slam dunk, why would Newton somehow get perceived as just some random athlete who played QB just to have the ball in his hands?

wonderbredd24
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Yea but your comment was still unfair to Newton. He is a QB, one that has questions like any other prospect. I don't think that makes Mallett any less of a QB because he is terrible inside the pocket with footwork that only looks correct when he's got a ton of space. Locker had a downright terrible season in an offense that is pretty QB friendly and is a great athlete, but no one says he's not a QB.

Anquan Boldin was an athlete playing QB, Newton shouldn't get that label that he's not a QB and he's just some "athlete who happens to line up under center" just because he's a one of a kind athlete who still needs to work on his game. Makes no sense. Every other QB in this class has some serious flaws in their game, no one is a slam dunk, why would Newton somehow get perceived as just some random athlete who played QB just to have the ball in his hands?
He's not a one of a kind athlete. There have been other athletes with similar builds and skillsets to Cam Newton. People just seem to forget they ever existed.

As for the athlete playing QB, it mostly has to do with the system. Systems like Oregon and Auburn are like high schools that run that Tony Franklin system horse **** where they have a QB dominate the league, then they move their wide receiver to quarterback, and he is the best quarterback in the league the next year, so on and so forth. Jeremiah Masoli dominated at Oregon, then he leaves and everyone thinks Oregon will fall apart. Then the next guy steps in and he might actually be better than Masoli. And the next guy will be extremely effective. Rich Rod's system is the same thing. I think Auburn will be the same deal.

Babylon
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Not to nitpick but an average receiving corps that was beset with injuries and a young offensive line that changed personal every week for the first 9 games isnt what i would call an offense that is pretty QB friendly. It almost got him killed.

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
He's not a one of a kind athlete. There have been other athletes with similar builds and skillsets to Cam Newton. People just seem to forget they ever existed.

As for the athlete playing QB, it mostly has to do with the system. Systems like Oregon and Auburn are like high schools that run that Tony Franklin system horse **** where they have a QB dominate the league, then they move their wide receiver to quarterback, and he is the best quarterback in the league the next year, so on and so forth. Jeremiah Masoli dominated at Oregon, then he leaves and everyone thinks Oregon will fall apart. Then the next guy steps in and he might actually be better than Masoli. And the next guy will be extremely effective. Rich Rod's system is the same thing. I think Auburn will be the same deal.

I don't know how many QB's coming out have showed they are the type of athlete Newton is. I didn't say he was the fastest guy ever, just a great athlete. I also do think he's a one of a kind athlete with his size, weight, measurables, and pure athleticism. Obviously a guy playing QB all through his college years isn't training the same way a WR or CB is.

Now as far as systems, yea some systems make it easier for the QB to succeed and can plug in anybody to play. OU has a QB friendly offense too, very easy reads to make, tons of WR's on the field for defenses that can't keep up, but that wasn't held against him. Colt McCoy play in a very similiar offense to the one Auburn runs, now everyone knew Colt was pin point accurate and a good WCO prospect but that doesn't change the system he ran.

wonderbredd24
03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know how many QB's coming out have showed they are the type of athlete Newton is. I didn't say he was the fastest guy ever, just a great athlete. I also do think he's a one of a kind athlete with his size, weight, measurables, and pure athleticism. Obviously a guy playing QB all through his college years isn't training the same way a WR or CB is.
Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Ben Roethlisberger, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, and if you want to go old school... Bobby Douglass

And with McCoy, you're right. And he went in the 3rd round. He also led his team in rushing his Senior Year.

Babylon
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Ben Roethlisberger, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, and if you want to go old school... Bobby Douglass

And with McCoy, you're right. And he went in the 3rd round. He also led his team in rushing his Senior Year.

To keep it more current Jake Locker and Colin Kaepernick were better athletically in a lot of areas and Blaine Gabbert wasnt far behind. Newton is a great athlete but not alone.

VIKINGSALLDAY28
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Cam Newton
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Jake Locker
Colin Kaepernick

RealityCheck
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Colin Kaepernick
4. Jake Locker
5. Andy Dalton

Sportsfan486
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Tebow was comparable. Vince Young was superior, imo. He's not nearly as unique as people make him out to be. And his arm is absolutely nothing special. It would take me at least 2 minutes of steady talking to list all of the QBs that flamed out with an equal or better arm (and the list starts with guys like Russel and Leaf.) His accuracy is questionable. He was never asked to make any sort of reads. And was really not exposed to many pressure situations as he simply ran if they occured, which won't work in the pros.

He's a one-year wonder that didn't have to make difficult reads or throws (ie.. making NFL type throws while under pressure, I fail to be impressed by guys throwing an NFL route with no concern.)

Add that with huge character concerns and I fail to see the hype. It's a proven fact that being a special QB at the college level doesn't mean a thing as far as translating to the pros. See Heisman trophy winners of the 2000s.

wicket
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
1 Blaine Gabbert
2 Jake Locker
3 Colin Kaepernick
4 Christian Ponder
5 Andy Dalton

Not saying mallett & newton arent good players but I would surely not want them to lead my team

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM

All of those are great athletes at QB. Only guys I think who are a better athlete are Cunningham, and Vick who isn't listed. I don't think Newton is the only athlete in this draft and were splitting hairs here anyway, my original point is that he's a QB. Maybe I'll rephrase my statement, Newton is a tremendous athlete but that doesn't make him "an athlete who happens to line up behind center".

Yet your missing my original point, which was nobody ever said Colt McCoy wasn't a QB. I never said he was some sort of elite prospect so what round he went in doesn't make much of a difference.

RaiderNation
03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
1 Cam Newton QB Auburn*(Top 10)-
-By far has the most potential of the group, might be the best overall athlete in the draft when you look at his size and speed, strong arm. He is going to need to learn his rookie year about the NFL offenses, off the field questions and maturity(I think it is over blown and he will be fine off the field). I am thinking he will turn out to something close to what Big Ben has turned out to in the NFL(similar size, athletic, off the field questions, but is a true winner and will get the job done)

2 Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri*(Top 15)
Prototypical size and strong armed QB, has the QB look to him and is also a good athlete. Im not buying the top 10 propsect hype though, there are alot better football players in this draft, didnt have 1 outstanding season in college, accuracy questions, will have to learn the NFL offenses similar to Newton. Im predicting he will bust in the NFL if he doesnt get some real good coaching, so I could compare him to Alex Smith's career since I dont think he will grasp the NFL offenses and will likely cause him to have many coaches but the potential to be a pro bowl QB is there

3 Jake Locker QB Washington(Top 20)
The most NFL ready QB of the group, shorter than I thought but is built very well, smart guy who knows his stuff, strong arm and athletic, pro style experience. Had a bad Senior year that really hurt his stock(from #1 prospect to a mid/late 1st, his accuracy is hot and cold. I would compare him to the likes of Jay Cutler, similar size and seems to be really on and off during a game.

4 Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas*(Late 1st)
Big QB that has the arm to match it, SEC experience(back to back 30 td years) and pro style experience as well, improved every season at Arkansas. Off the field questions have really hurt his stock, not much of an athlete, character concerns as well which could hurt the locker room. Right now if I had to pick between him and Gabbert I would go Mallett since I feel his floor isnt as low. I would compare him to Drew Bledsoe, big QB, big arm but has very slow feet and mobility so he will need a oline, never going to be a top 5 QB in the league, but you can win with him

5 Christian Ponder QB Florida State(2nd)
Has help his stock this offseason after having another injury prone year, decent size and athletism, is accurate and smart, lots of experience as a 3 year starter. Arm strength is questionable, being injury prone will turn many teams away from him, crumbles when pressure in the pocket. I have the feeling Ponder will end up succeeding in the NFL down the line, might take him 3-4 years to be able to make the impact but if he stays healthy I think he can be an above average starter in the NFL

87Canes
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Ryan Mallett
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Cam Newton
Christian Ponder

Rjspartan
03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
1. Locker
2. Mallett
3. Newton
4. Tyrod taylor
5. Blain Gabbert

JaxJag_1
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
In 2-3 years everyone in the league will be kicking themselves when Andy Dalton is on his way to becoming a Star in the league and guys like Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, and Ryan Mallett suffer to remain relevant.

Sniper
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
In 2-3 years everyone in the league will be kicking themselves when Andy Dalton is on his way to becoming a Star in the league and guys like Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, and Ryan Mallett suffer to remain relevant.

Gingers cannot succeed.

JaxJag_1
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Gingers cannot succeed.

Joking or not, I don't get the big deal with "gingers" and why people make fun of people with red hair.

What the **** does it matter?

P.S. - I don't have red hair either

brasho
03-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Considering Kaepernick is the same height as Newton and only 15 lbs lighter, as well as having a better arm (59 mph on radar compared to 56) and faster 4.53 compared to 4.59... I would say they are better "athletes" that Newton in this class alone.

brasho
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Joking or not, I don't get the big deal with "gingers" and why people make fun of people with red hair.

What the **** does it matter?

P.S. - I don't have red hair either

All joking aside... it just doesn't happen very often... Marinovich, Dan McGwire, Billy Joe Tolliver... or was it Hobert (?)... and that's just at QB.

brasho
03-07-2011, 06:57 PM
My list...

1) Gabbert
2) Locker
3) Newton
4) Kaepernick
5) Ponder/Mallett

Sorry, but my list includes more than just stats, measurables, and other people's opinions... I think work ethic (and obviously the ability to throw and move feet) is the most important quality a QB can have... that's why I have Ponder as high as I do

brasho
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
1 Cam Newton QB Auburn*(Top 10)-
-By far has the most potential of the group, might be the best overall athlete in the draft when you look at his size and speed, strong arm. He is going to need to learn his rookie year about the NFL offenses, off the field questions and maturity(I think it is over blown and he will be fine off the field). I am thinking he will turn out to something close to what Big Ben has turned out to in the NFL(similar size, athletic, off the field questions, but is a true winner and will get the job done)

I'm sorry, best athlete? Size, speed, and arm.... Didn't Kaepernick prove who the best athlete among the QBs were? He's the same height, almost as heavy, yet he proved to have a stronger arm and to be faster... and not only that he was a 4 year starter known to have great work ethic... but CK isn't rated...but you rate Newton so high because of his physical measurables... that aren't as good as CK's... puzzling.

OGDraft
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
1. Blaine Gabbert
2. Jake Locker
3. Ricky Stanzi
4. Christian Ponder
5. Cam Newton

SilentJaguar
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
1. Jake Locker
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Christian Ponder
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Blaine Gabbert

descendency
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Considering Kaepernick is the same height as Newton and only 15 lbs lighter, as well as having a better arm (59 mph on radar compared to 56) and faster 4.53 compared to 4.59... I would say they are better "athletes" that Newton in this class alone.

15 LBs is a lot. If Kapernick put on 15 pounds, he would definitely be slower than Newton. I can't talk about ball speed because I didn't see the workouts, but as far as I've heard Newton needs some serious coaching on his mechanics below his arm. He doesn't use his feet nearly well enough when throwing.

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry, best athlete? Size, speed, and arm.... Didn't Kaepernick prove who the best athlete among the QBs were? He's the same height, almost as heavy, yet he proved to have a stronger arm and to be faster... and not only that he was a 4 year starter known to have great work ethic... but CK isn't rated...but you rate Newton so high because of his physical measurables... that aren't as good as CK's... puzzling.

I'm not saying Kaepernick wouldn't have been successful in the SEC playing in a similar offensive scheme to the one he ran at Nevada, (because I believe he would have been), but the difference between CK and Newton is level of
competition and football IQ.

I don't know if any QB in the draft has the innate ability to make plays with the football in his hands that Newton does, throwing and passing.

And this revisionist thinking that implies Newton's success was the product of playing in Gus Malzahn's future-shock, HS offense that no one's ever seen before is really discrediting how well Newton played last year in huge games when his team was behind.

But I agree if there's one prospect who's Newton's silhouette in this draft, it's CK.

It will be interesting to see who has the more productive NFL career.

SimonRath
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
All joking aside... it just doesn't happen very often... Marinovich, Dan McGwire, Billy Joe Tolliver... or was it Hobert (?)... and that's just at QB.

sooo.. hair color is now a negative/positive when trying to decide who you should draft?

what if the guy is bald?!

RealityCheck
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Not to mention that Colin has the heart of a lion and is very smart, and Newton... is Newton.

Matthew Jones
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Something like this, although it'd probably be a lot different if I had the chance to interview some of the guys:

1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri*

2. Jake Locker, Washington

3. Cam Newton, Auburn*

4. Christian Ponder, Florida St.

5. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas*

RaiderNation
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Kaepernick was faster, Im talking overall when you add everything up. At 6'5 248 and runs a 4.5 is crazy for a QB. He not only have speed to outrun defenders, but also has shown power running as well.

drowe
03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
1-Locker. I feel like a captain going down with his ship on this one..but, really, he showed he can learn a pro style offense in one offseason. Pretty valuable line on a resume. can't overlook the athleticism. Accuracy is a question. But, all QBs in this class have huge questions. I like the upside.

2-Gabbert. Looks the part. Seems to have all the tools. There's nothing specifically NOT to like....but, looking at the whole instead of the sum of its parts, something seems to be missing.

3-Kaepernik-homer pick. dude grew up in Milwaukee. But, why not? It's all there. and if he can be coached and be put in the right situation, I think he can be great.

4-Stanzi. again...why not?

5-Newton-For all the NFL comparisons floating around, the name that always jumps in my head is Matt Leinart. media darling. loves being a celebrity. Great at winning when there's an awesome team around him. kind of a playboy. we'll see what happens when he gets to the NFL...but, seems there are a lot more things screaming 'bust' than 'stud' at this point.

GoRavens
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Stanzi in a top 5 is absolute crap.
1) Like it or not - Cam Newton.
2) Blaine Gabbert
3) Ryan Mallett
4) Jake Locker
5) Colin Kaepernick
*6) Christian Ponder

nepg
03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Locker
Newton
Mallett
Gabbert
Kaepernick

And I didn't have to think much on this one...

Babylon
03-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Locker
Newton
Mallett
Gabbert
Kaepernick

Would probably go with Ponder at 5 but with you on the rest.

descendency
03-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Serious question: How many athletic QBs have been drafted in the past 20 years that went on to become franchise QBs? I can't think of many other than Vick.

Sniper
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Serious question: How many athletic QBs have been drafted in the past 20 years that went on to become franchise QBs? I can't think of many other than Vick.

Donovan McNabb.

1-Locker. I feel like a captain going down with his ship on this one..but, really, he showed he can learn a pro style offense in one offseason.

How? Because he looked good in shorts and a T-shirt while throwing passes against air? Locker's always been good at that.

FUNBUNCHER
03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
I'd count Aaron Rodgers in that group with the 'athletic' QBs. After Vick and VY, no QB in the NFL can run like Rodgers.

descendency
03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Donovan McNabb.

Definitely. That's a good sign for Newton.

I'd count Aaron Rodgers in that group with the 'athletic' QBs. After Vick and VY, no QB in the NFL can run like Rodgers.

I didn't see him at Cal, so I can't say - but did his game there really use his athleticism to run down field or extend plays?

FUNBUNCHER
03-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I didn't see him play at Cal either.

DiG
03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I didn't see him play at Cal either.

160 attempts for 336 yds at 2.1 ypc in 2 seasons makes me think otherwise. i always thought of him coming out as an athletic throwing qb but he was never considered a scambling qb to my knowledge. he ran a 4.71 40.

GoRavens
03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Locker
Newton
Mallett
Gabbert
Kaepernick

- how in the world is Gabbert rated below Mallet and Locker?
Aside from Mallett's drug problem/character concerns/horrible decision making/inconsistency/staring down receivers/, what make's him better than Gabbert?

49erNation85
03-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Aside from Mallett's drug problem/character concerns/horrible decision making/inconsistency/staring down receivers/, what make's him better than Gabbert?

Gabbert is coming from a spread offense while Mallet and Locker only need foot work issues to work IMO.Those two should be ahead of everyone else.I would still pick them over Gabbert and Newton.Gabbert is seriously being WAY overy hyped right now with out even having a great career at Mizz.From watching path to the draft all of the guys are all over him for no good reason.Mallet had better numbers in all of his 3 years.Locker was about the same.But still better IMO.That is just my two cents on most of the rankings here.Here are mine again

Locker
Mallet
Newton
Gabbert
Ponder / Dalton

descendency
03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
I just spit what I was drinking out when I saw this...

http://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/45478072086052865#

@RossTuckerNFL
NFL scout: "Ryan Mallett thinks he is Eminem." Take what you will from that but it certainly wasn't a positive for that scout.

edit: Consequently, the last time anyone cared about Eminem might be around the time Mallett got recruited.

BuddyCHRIST
03-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Very wrong

He was inconsistent his Sophomore year but had his moments, especially in clutch moments.

He was great his Junior year outside of the one game against Clemson, even in losses he played great. His TD numbers weren't always there as FSU runs the ball when they get down close. But look at him in the comeback he led against UNC against a loaded defense on the road, and he lit up GT in a loss as well.

His senior year he was definitely bothered by some injury and questionable decision making. But he also had young very inconsistent WRs (this is so often overlooked, if your running WR option routes and the WR makes the wrong read it makes the QB look bad). Even still he had some solid games, particularly against a very good UF secondary.

So to say he played terribly for most of his career is ignoring alot.

SimonRath
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I just spit what I was drinking out when I saw this...

http://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/45478072086052865#

@RossTuckerNFL

edit: Consequently, the last time anyone cared about Eminem might be around the time Mallett got recruited.

if only we had the context to why Mallett apparently thinks hes Eminem..

Draft King
03-09-2011, 09:24 AM
How I think they end up in the NFL, and then I'll do in brackets where I think they get drafted.

Jake Locker (Top 15)
Cam Newton (Top 5)
Blaine Gabbert (Top 10)
Christian Ponder (2nd round)
Ryan Mallet (3rd round)

Monomach
03-09-2011, 10:07 AM
My QB rankings are usually pretty far off from the consensus.

1. Jake Locker
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Ricky Stanzi
5. Greg McElroy

Halsey
03-09-2011, 10:13 AM
People are really harping on the fact that Gabbert played in a spread. Hasn't anyone noticed that there are other QBs in the NFL who played in spread offenses. One of those guys is the Saints backup, Chase Daniel. If Daniel can work his way into being a backup, I don't see how playing at Missouri for 3 years in going to prevent Gabbert from developing into a starter in the NFL.

Babylon
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Brett Favre
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Mike Vick
Ben Rothliesberger
Aaron Rodgers

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2011, 11:27 AM
People are really harping on the fact that Gabbert played in a spread. Hasn't anyone noticed that there are other QBs in the NFL who played in spread offenses. One of those guys is the Saints backup, Chase Daniel. If Daniel can work his way into being a backup, I don't see how playing at Missouri for 3 years in going to prevent Gabbert from developing into a starter in the NFL.

Chase Daniel was a dominant college player. Gabbert wasn't good at all.

Great point, he might almost be as good as Daniel one day!

thebow305
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
1. Cam Newton
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Jake Locker
5. Christian Ponder

Flyboy
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Highly false, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyhow..

1. Cam Newton
2. Jake Locker
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Blaine Gabbert
5. Christian Ponder / Andy Dalton

Sarcastro
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Gabbert
Newton
Mallet
Kaepernick
Ponder

nepg
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Carson Palmer was about as athletic as Gabbert. Jake Plummer did well for awhile... And the guys Babylon mentioned... McNair and McNabb are huge ones. Rodgers wasn't athletic at Cal, though... He became athletic...which is rare.

Of course, with the "20 years" part, you're cutting off Cunningham, Elway, and Steve Young

Babylon
03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Carson Palmer was about as athletic as Gabbert. Jake Plummer did well for awhile... And the guys Babylon mentioned... McNair and McNabb are huge ones. Rodgers wasn't athletic at Cal, though... He became athletic...which is rare.

Of course, with the "20 years" part, you're cutting off Cunningham, Elway, and Steve Young

Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarrkenton and others too.

I think the implication that the top QBs this year are just athletes playing QB is misguided, these guys are throwers foremost. What happens is at the college level i think you develope some bad habits because you tend to bail quicker than you probably should because the legs are there. When these guys get to the pros they realize real quick the running becomes very selective.

BigBanger
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Hasn't anyone noticed that there are other QBs in the NFL who played in spread offenses. One of those guys is the Saints backup, Chase Daniel.
No, I don't think anyone noticed that. Nor should they.

descendency
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM

I know athletic QBs succeeded in the past, but what I want to know is if they can succeed now.

It's a huge fallacy to say because no one did it in the past that no one will do it now, but it's not fallacious if there is a good reason.

katnip
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Mine was almost exactly like Mayock's latest list. Except he had Ponder at #5.

Just found it interesting

nepg
03-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Just about everything about being a QB, especially in the NFL. Mallett's just better.

The real question is, what has Gabbert done or shown to put him where people are putting him? He has all the problems that the other prospects have and he has the worst arm of the 4 (the other 3 have elite arms, Gabbert's is good), isn't as athletic as Newton or Locker (or Kaepernick), and underachieved on a good team.

I like Gabbert, but he doesn't have the elite tools the other guys have.

nepg
03-11-2011, 12:35 AM
I know athletic QBs succeeded in the past, but what I want to know is if they can succeed now.

It's a huge fallacy to say because no one did it in the past that no one will do it now, but it's not fallacious if there is a good reason.

Well, the problem here is that the athletic QBs in this draft (Locker, Newton, Gabbret, Kaepernick) are good QBs who happen to be athletic... I don't see them as guys who rely on their athleticism more than or before their mind and arm... We're not really talking about a Michael Vick or Vince Young situation. All of these QBs have solid mechanics and have made livings in college throwing the ball.

Babylon
03-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Just about everything about being a QB, especially in the NFL. Mallett's just better.

The real question is, what has Gabbert done or shown to put him where people are putting him? He has all the problems that the other prospects have and he has the worst arm of the 4 (the other 3 have elite arms, Gabbert's is good), isn't as athletic as Newton or Locker (or Kaepernick), and underachieved on a good team.

I like Gabbert, but he doesn't have the elite tools the other guys have.

In fairness Gabbert seems to have done pretty well during this process. He tested better athletically than people thought, seems to have it upstairs and will no doubt do well in the friendly confines of his pro day. I dont know where he will end up but when you start out from a high position it's almost like you have to prove you cant play.

descendency
03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
My concern isn't Gabbert. It's Newton and Kapernick (and Locker, to a lesser degree).

I don't like Gabbert because I didn't see anything on film that impressed me enough to warrant a first round pick. (and if you aren't a top 25 player at QB, you're a backup)

However, Newton and Kapernick are impressive on film, but my biggest objection is that they are impressive because of their athleticism. They don't have to be technically great because they can get by on their ability to run the ball.

I'm not talking about athleticism in terms of being able to execute a rollout pass or slide in the pocket, but the stuff you think of when you think of Mike Vick's best plays.

I'm not even knocking Kapernick so much as Newton. I'm just not familiar enough with Nevada's offense to make any real decision on Kapernick.

---

I think I found my new favorite prospect comparison: Ryan Mallett - Charlie Sheen.

Babylon
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
My concern isn't Gabbert. It's Newton and Kapernick (and Locker, to a lesser degree).

I don't like Gabbert because I didn't see anything on film that impressed me enough to warrant a first round pick. (and if you aren't a top 25 player at QB, you're a backup)

However, Newton and Kapernick are impressive on film, but my biggest objection is that they are impressive because of their athleticism. They don't have to be technically great because they can get by on their ability to run the ball.

I'm not talking about athleticism in terms of being able to execute a rollout pass or slide in the pocket, but the stuff you think of when you think of Mike Vick's best plays.

I'm not even knocking Kapernick so much as Newton. I'm just not familiar enough with Nevada's offense to make any real decision on Kapernick.

---

I think I found my new favorite prospect comparison: Ryan Mallett - Charlie Sheen.

You must listen to the Dan Patrick show.

ellsy82
03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Gabbert
Newton
Locker
Mallet
Dalton

descendency
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
You must listen to the Dan Patrick show.

Honestly, no. I saw 20 seconds of it one day flipping through channels because I was bored - but I can't even remember what was on it.

I saw the CBS interview this morning on youtube.

Sarcastro
03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
People are underestimating Gabbert's arm. He probably doesn't have as good an arm as Mallet, but he still has a cannon.

His only weakness throwing the ball last season was the long ball. That was because he wasn't getting enough air underneath his passes and lots of them ended up as overthrows. Also, the only two receivers that could get open deep couldn't catch it when Gabbert did hit them. Gabbert's long ball looked fine his sophomore year when Danario Alexander was still on the team.

armageddon
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
So glad the Rams aren't #1 and looking for a QB this year. For once, something worked out for them (minus GSOT glory days)

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2011, 10:46 PM
People are underestimating Gabbert's arm. He probably doesn't have as good an arm as Mallet, but he still has a cannon.

His only weakness throwing the ball last season was the long ball. That was because he wasn't getting enough air underneath his passes and lots of them ended up as overthrows. Also, the only two receivers that could get open deep couldn't catch it when Gabbert did hit them. Gabbert's long ball looked fine his sophomore year when Danario Alexander was still on the team.

Gabbert simply missed hitting WRs running deep for Mizzou.
EVERY single time he threw long, his WRs were open, whether they were considered 'burners' or not.

There's a reason why Gabbert only threw 16 TDs in 2010.

Gabbert is one of those guys IMO who people will hold out hope for year after year, because of his tools, that he's going to become a dominant NFL QB.

nepg
03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
In fairness Gabbert seems to have done pretty well during this process. He tested better athletically than people thought, seems to have it upstairs and will no doubt do well in the friendly confines of his pro day. I dont know where he will end up but when you start out from a high position it's almost like you have to prove you cant play.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Gabbert. He's done well and I think he can be a really good QB in the NFL. I just have the other guys over him and I have good reason to. Gabbert did test well, but the others tested better.

This QB class is being horribly underrated.

bored of education
03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Gabbert

then Locker
Mallett
Newton
Ponder
Devlin YES IS STILL LIKE HIM!!

Tom Servo
03-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Locker
Ponder
Gabbert
Mallet...if someone replaces whatever he's on with some xanex
Kaepernick

Stunned by the Dalton love on this board.

And no, its not a mistake that Newton's not on my list

P-L
03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
I know people are going to think I'm stupid, but just give me Christian Ponder. I think he's probably the "safest" quarterback in the class and still has good enough upside to be in that 10-15 range of starting NFL quarterbacks. Next, I think I'll take Cam Newton. He easily has the best upside and his on-the-field issues don't seem to be as serious as others'. His off-the-field red flags are a big concern to me and I think some of his biggest supporters aren't taking them seriously enough. If Newton is #2 then Jake Locker is #2b. I actually have a hard time deciding between the two. His accuracy concerns are legitimate, but I don't think they are serious enough to the point that they are totally uncorrectable. Jake comes off great in his interviews and still possesses great physical tools. Blaine Gabbert is #4 by default. I just don't understand the fascination. I wouldn't draft any quarterback in the top 20, for what it's worth.

Edit: I forgot #5. Probably Colin Kaepernick, but I haven't decided yet for sure.

the natural
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
You guys are being WAAAY too picky about the quarterbacks. Six rookie QBs were starting for their team in the NFL at the end of last season, and only four QBs were drafted in the first three rounds in 2010. This year there should be four drafted in the first round alone. Possibly five or six. Obviously it's a tough position to find a guy who has no flaws in his game, but someone has to play it in the league. Quarterbacks coming out the past few years have stepped right in as full time starters and excelled. That would indicate the players are getting better each year, not worse.

FUNBUNCHER
03-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Locker
Ponder
Gabbert
Mallet...if someone replaces whatever he's on with some xanex
Kaepernick

Stunned by the Dalton love on this board.

And no, its not a mistake that Newton's not on my list.

Well, is it a mistake that Locker and Ponder are your two highest rated QBs in this draft!!??lol

Babylon
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
[/B]
Well, is it a mistake that Locker and Ponder are your two highest rated QBs in this draft!!??lol

Agree. Even if you dont like Newton as a prospect you have to at least be objective enough to have him in your top 3. Ponder is getting some of that default love in here lately. I like the guy and wouldnt mind seeing him in Seattle if they were to trade down a bit but he doesnt have the arm or the strength to be up there with the others, just my opinion.

NotRickJames
03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Still like Mallett as the best quarterback prospect, shame he's got such a fancy for the powder.

After that it's kind of a crapshoot for me.

Look out for Nathan Enderle, guy I like quite a bit. Think he'll be a huge steal. Also, Andy Dalton will be a beast.

bucfan12
03-15-2011, 10:32 PM
1. Gabbert
2. Kaepernick
3. Dalton
4. Locker
5. Newton

Coombser
03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Gabbert
Locker
Mallett
Ponder
Newton

Wrathman
03-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Gabbert
Locker
Mallett
Ponder
Newton

I'm tempted to go this route as well, but I'm not ready to call my shot yet.

DcmRulz
03-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Gabbert
Mallett
Locker
Ponder
Dalton

49ers1984
03-23-2011, 03:09 AM
I may be the only one but I am not high on Mallet at all. I mean big arm little mobility spotty accuracy. Every prospect that has trouble with accuracy makes me weary since accuracy is extremely important since it can be the difference between a td and an inception for a td.