PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Post Combine Mock Draft - First Round w/ descriptions

10Titans28
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
1. Carolina Panthers – Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

It seems the Panthers are in need of a quarterback looking back at Clausen’s rough first season, but all the quarterbacks are too much of a reach now. Bowers would be an immediate impact and dominant run stopper

2. Denver Broncos – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

The Broncos have resigned Champ Bailey but as a result of lack of defense at several positions and Champ Bailey’s age, I see them drafting Peterson at BPA because any defensive position is a need.

3. Buffalo Bills – Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama

I believe Dareus would fit in perfectly with the Bills defensive scheme and needs. He’s a solid 306 lbs. and could play any position in the transition to the 3-4. He will also be key filling in the spot of Marcus Stroud.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

One of the highest rated wide receiver prospects in years, A.J. Green has too much talent and potential to pass on especially with T.O. and Ochocinco both most likely on their way out of cinci.

5. Arizona Cardinals – Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC

Most mock drafts have Arizona taking a quarterback but their front seven really needs improvement. Joey Porter was a huge disappointment and with Dansby gone they don’t have any threats or an outside pass rusher. Quinn can play both on the line or OLB.

6. Cleveland Browns – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

Fairley would be a great fit in the Browns new 4-3 defense. He has good size and experience at DT in the 4-3. The Browns would be filling in Sean Rogers spot and now have another big presence up front.

7. San Francisco 49ers – Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Blaine Gabbert or even Cam Newton would be sensible picks here as well but Harbaugh has said the quarterback he wants is available in later rounds and the niners are in need of a linebacker on the outside. Manny Lawson’s productivity has been low and they need a consistent pass rusher. Von miller has also shown he can play in the middle and drop back into coverage, which is good saying Takeo Spikes is getting old at 34.

8. Tennessee Titans – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizz

The Titans biggest concern is quarterback at this point after the loss of Vince Young and Kerry Collins as a free agent. I feel as Blaine Gabbert would fill this spot the best because of his success in his sophomore and junior years totaling for over 6,500 yards and 40 td’s. Cam Newton is also an option but seems to struggle with consistent throwing accuracy.

9. Dallas Cowboys – Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

It’d make sense to address secondary here, such as Prince Amukamara, but I see the Cowboys’ secondary problems a result of coaching. The Cowboys will also be losing Marcus Spears to free agency and a couple other ends, so this would be the time to fill the spot.

10. Washington Redskins – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

With Santana Moss now an unrestricted free agent, the Redskins don’t have any threats in the passing attack other than Chris Cooley. Julio would be a great fit with his 6’4” 220 lb. frame, taking focus away from other receivers. Cam Newton is also an option here but I don’t think he’ll be a top 10 pick saying he has some accuracy issues to work on. I see the Redskins finding their new quarterback in the later rounds where it wouldn’t be a reach.

11. Houston Texans – Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Houston is in big need of a corner and if Amukamara did fall this far the Texans would not pass on him. He possesses everything you could want in a corner and he’d make teams throw away from him.

12. Minnesota Vikings – J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

Ray Edwards is soon to be a free agent and with their d-line aging, the Vikings could very well take best DE available. Cam Newton is also an option here but they could most likely pick up one of the many quarterbacks off free agency like Vince Young.

13. Detroit Lions – Tyron Smith, OT, USC

The Lions are in need of a corner but with Peterson and Amukamara both gone the remaining corners would be too much of a reach. They are also in need of o-line especially at LT where Jeff Backus has failed to be productive. Tyron Smith has played in a pro-style offense and on the right side but has shown he’s capable of also playing on the left.

14. St. Louis Rams – Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

Their d-line did impress last year with over 30 sacks but they’re linebacking core needs some work. Akeem Ayers is able to perform in the 4-3 or 3-4 and really proved himself his last two years with 143 tackles, 10 sacks, and 6 int’s.

15. Miami Dolphins – Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams most likely both gone next season, the Dolphins could easily pick up Ingram. A running back that can take a lot of carries and has experience in a pro-style offense.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue

Jacksonville has had very little production from all the work put into their recent ends but Kerrigan is someone that you know you’ll be getting your money’s worth. He can play at outside linebacker as well and has put up impressive numbers with 23.5 sacks over the last two seasons. Look for them to take Aldon Smith here instead.

17. New England Patriots (f/ Oakland) – Aldon Smith, DE, Mizz

The Pats are in need of an outside pass rusher and Aldon Smith would fit just fine here, he can switch from end to OLB in their 3-4 defense. He has great speed and height at 6’5” and ran an outstanding 4.70 at the combine. He is a little raw but the Patriots are the kind of team that could get the most potential out of him.

18. San Diego Chargers – Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

With all the underclassmen ends coming out this year, Clayborn could probably fall this far but will be a steal for whoever ends up with him. He is a little of a boom or bust looking at the past seasons – 3 of the 4 seasons under 4 sacks and one season with 11.5. Nonetheless the BPA for this position at this point.

19. New York Giants – Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

D-line could be addressed here as well but the Giants don’t have that many holes to fill so I see them taking BPA with Anthony Castonzo. He’s a solid run blocker with a good frame and can be placed on both sides but he’s still got a little work to do. He needs some size regarding weight and strength to compete with NFL ends and needs to work on speed on the edge.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt

I believe the Bucs had big hope last year to go far but fell short due to shortage of good receivers. Josh Freeman needs more options than just Mike Williams. Jon Baldwin is a tough 6’5” wideout that’ll really help Freeman spread the field.

21. Kansas City Chiefs – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

The Chiefs have had issues with RT and Nate Solder couldn’t fill this hole any better. His massize 6’9” 315 lb frame will be a tough object for defensives to get past. He excels in pass coverage but is still improving at run blocking/strength. His only problem would be getting leverage at his size.

22. Indianapolis Colts – Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

Indy has had some difficulty filling in the DT spot and someone that can make a big impact up front but Corey Liuget has shown big improvement and a good last season with 4.5 sacks and constantly getting in the backfield stopping the run. A great fit for the 4-3.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)

This would be the time to fix Philly’s secondary problems with Ellis Hobbs suffering his second neck injury and getting someone young on the opposite side of the ball.

24. New Orleans Saints – Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.

DE or DT are both options here so look for them to take Stephen Paea or Allen Bailey here but Cameron Heyward would fit great with the Saints defense since that's what he has been working in for his career.

25. Seattle Seahawks – Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Fast, mobile, and accurate on the run, Jake Locker will be one of the finishing pieces in Seattle. You could possibly see Cam Newton here but I believe Pete Carroll has his mind set on him. He’s had experiences with him and can get the inside scoop.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

He’s not your playmaking, superstar corner but he’s lockdown. He had no picks last year but 12 passes defended. He’ll be a very safe pick and just what the Ravens need to have a top secondary.

27. Atlanta Falcons – Allen Bailey, DE, Miami (FL)

The Falcons had all the pieces but just fell short last year early on. Bailey would be a solid pass rusher to compliment John Abraham with his impressive speed and size (4.65, 6’4”).

28. New England Patriots – Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

After most likely picking up a pass rusher with their other first round pick, adding a solid NFL ready tackle would fit just nice. Gabe Carimi would not be a reach and he’s been in a pro-style offense his whole college career.

29. Chicago Bears – Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.

The Bears also do not have many holes to fill after a successful last season so adding a dependable tackle that can only improve would fit well. Sherrod is good in both run blocking and pass blocking and won’t be a letdown.

30. New York Jets – Greg Jones, ILB, Michigan St.

Greg Jones is the second overall inside linebacker this year and has had a very successful career at Michigan State with 465 tackles, 16.5 sacks, and 46.5 TFL. He’d be great depth for the Jets linebackers.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

I know I’m not the first to hop on this wagon but the other Pouncey brother has a great chance to be taken by the Steelers. The first brother was very productive his first season with a Pro Bowl year so why not take a chance on the second?

32. Green Bay Packers – Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

With not much to improve on, the Packers will most likely take a corner saying Charles Woodson is reaching his end approaching 35. Smith has had some issues with coaching and behavior problems but I believe that can be straightened out.

* I know Cam Newton is not in here, I can see him going in the first round but I'm just still not sure to who. I can even see him dropping to the early second.

Nalej
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I can dig the Pats mock.

coordinator0
03-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Aaron Williams over Jimmy Smith for the Ravens is just bad.

49erNation85
03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Excellent SF pick!

derza222
03-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Jones doesn't make a ton of sense for the Jets given ILB is one of the strongest positions on the team with Scott and Harris.

thebow305
03-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Ingram is a great pick

akvikefan89
03-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I love Watt as a player, but not sure how realistic of a pick he is.

1. Brian Robison was just re-signed to a starter-$$$ deal.
2. Watt isn't a great fit for 4-3 teams IMO.

That situation is a tough one for the Vikings, though. I think they may look at Stephen Paea in that scenario...

GB12
03-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Justin Houston to Green Bay please.

That situation is a tough one for the Vikings, though. I think they may look at Stephen Paea in that scenario...

Watt is a great fit for a 4-3. I think he's a better fit for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Razor
03-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Great Patriots draft.. And with Wilkerson available at 33 we can grab him there. :)

Poz51
03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
3. Buffalo Bills Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama

I believe Dareus would fit in perfectly with the Bills defensive scheme and needs. Hes a solid 306 lbs. and could play any position in the transition to the 3-4. He will also be key filling in the spot of Marcus Stroud.

Good pick for the Bills, and just to nit-pick a little, Dareus is up to 319 as of the combine ;)

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Thank you everyone but @coordinator, Jimmy Smith has had some big problems with coaches and blows up on them very often which will drop his stock. Aaron Williams is a safe pick. And jj watt fits much better in the 4-3, it's what he grew up in.

+ rep to all thoughts, compliments, and tips

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone but @coordinator, Jimmy Smith has had some big problems with coaches and blows up on them very often which will drop his stock. Aaron Williams is a safe pick. And jj watt fits much better in the 4-3, it's what he grew up in.

coordinator0
03-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Aaron Williams isn't a safe pick if he can't play man coverage in our system. Jimmy Smith can, and he's better value at that point issues or not.

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I didn't know all mocks revolved around the ravens. But anyways show me where he can't play man. He's well balanced

coordinator0
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I didn't know all mocks revolved around the ravens. But anyways show me where he can't play man. He's well balanced

The fact there's talk about him being moved to safety should tell you about his ability to play man coverage. If he was good at it, there's no way these rumors would be spreading since CBs with size and ability to play man coverage (you know, like Jimmy Smith) are pretty valuable.

It looks like you're not liking criticism, I'm not sure where you came up with the "I didn't know all mocks revolved around the ravens" comment. It's not like I said your whole mock was terrible.

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
There's also talk about Patrick Peterson being moved to safety but he's great at man coverage.

fatmosh
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
WR for the Bucs? Really?

coordinator0
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
There's also talk about Patrick Peterson being moved to safety but he's great at man coverage.

Peterson also has elite athleticism which allows him to stick with receivers. Williams doesn't.

Seasonticketholder
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Stephen Paea would SUCK as a first round pick for the Saints. Please replace him with Cameron Heyward.

prock
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Yup. This is it. Watt would be alright though.

T-RICH49
03-07-2011, 01:20 PM
gonna say this again.taking an OT in the 1st is a waste.Justin Houston or Phil Taylor both of who I see still available would be far better options

Matthew Jones
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know about Carimi's fit...if you're dead set on a tackle I think Sherrod might be more likely.

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
WR for the Bucs? Really?

yes. who else does Freeman throw to? Spurlock?

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Stephen Paea would SUCK as a first round pick for the Saints. Please replace him with Cameron Heyward.

fixed, thank you.

10Titans28
03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't know about Carimi's fit...if you're dead set on a tackle I think Sherrod might be more likely.

i just see Carimi and Sherrod as a flip flop. they could easily take each others spots.