PDA

View Full Version : Post-Combine Mock Draft

Master Exploder
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Alright guys, here's my first post-combine mock draft. As always constructive responses are encouraged. If you have any questions about why I mocked any of the picks, just shoot 'em at me and hopefully I can provide a solid argument. Enjoy and leave feedback please!

01. Carolina Panthers: Da'Quan Bowers - DE - Clemson

02. Denver Broncos: Nick Fairley - DT - Auburn

03. Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus - DE - Alabama

04. Cincinnati Bengals: Cameron Newton - QB - Auburn

05. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller - OLB - Texas A&M

06. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green - WR - Georgia

07. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson - CB - L.S.U.

08. Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbert - QB - Missouri

09. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones - WR - Alabama

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn - OLB - North Carolina

12. Minnesota Vikings: Stephen Paea - DT - Oregon State

13. Detroit Lions: Jimmy Smith - CB - Colorado

14. St. Louis Rams: Aldon Smith - DE - Missouri

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram - RB - Alabama

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan - DE - Purdue

17. New England Patriots: J.J. Watt - DE - Wisconsin

18. San Diego Chargers: Cameron Jordan - DE - California

19. New York Giants: Martez Wilson - LB - Illinois

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn - DE - Iowa

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor - DT - Baylor

22. Indianapolis Colts: Tyron Smith - OT - U.S.C.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Harris - CB - Miami

24. New Orleans Saints: Akeem Ayers - LB - U.C.L.A.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker - QB - Washington

26. Baltimore Ravens: Torrey Smith - WR - Maryland

27. Atlanta Falcons: Leonard Hankerson - WR - Miami

28. New England Patriots: Justin Houston - OLB - Georgia

29. Chicago Bears: Anthony Castonzo - OT - Boston College

30. New York Jets: Cameron Heyward - DE - Ohio State

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Gabe Carimi - OT - Wisconsin

32. Green Bay Packers: Brooks Reed - OLB - Arizona

TitansFTW
03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I love the Gabbert pick, but I don't think he'll be there at 8 =(

49erNation85
03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Freaking awesome SF Pick!!

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I love the Gabbert pick, but I don't think he'll be there at 8 =(

Why not? I really don't think we'll be seeing 2 top 5 QB's this year, and I think San Francisco fans would nearly have a heart attack when Patrick Peterson falls to them.

thebow305
03-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Ingram is a great pick

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Ingram is a great pick

I agree, but I hate how it's practically the only pick you ever see in mock drafts for the Dolphins. I think it's one of those picks that make entirely too much sense though.

akvikefan89
03-07-2011, 01:26 AM
A-Ok with that Vikings pick. Wonder if I started a trend? :)

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 01:32 AM
A-Ok with that Vikings pick. Wonder if I started a trend? :)

Haha, not sure. I had Stephen Paea to the Vikings in my first 2 mocks of the post-season (Jan. 4th was the first one) after that I went with Ryan Mallett in my second 2 mocks, and now I'm back to Stephen Paea. I really think it could go either way. I know a lot of people have been pushing Mallett to the 2nd round as of late, but I really think the Vikings might just grab him at pick 12 if they have to.

Regardless, Paea is a great fit for them and Leslie Frazier certainly doesn't want to see the strength of his defense dwindle down in one off-season with Ray Edwards leaving and Pat Williams' future in limbo.

akvikefan89
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Haha, not sure. I had Stephen Paea to the Vikings in my first 2 mocks of the post-season (Jan. 4th was the first one) after that I went with Ryan Mallett in my second 2 mocks, and now I'm back to Stephen Paea. I really think it could go either way. I know a lot of people have been pushing Mallett to the 2nd round as of late, but I really think the Vikings might just grab him at pick 12 if they have to.

Regardless, Paea is a great fit for them and Leslie Frazier certainly doesn't want to see the strength of his defense dwindle down in one off-season with Ray Edwards leaving and Pat Williams' future in limbo.

Fair enough, you can get the Paea credit if it ends up happening. :p

Mallet is a tough call, because in terms of talent there's no question he'd be a great fit at #12, but we don't really know what's going on behind closed-door interviews. If he convinces the Vikings brass he's not a large risk (like Percy Harvin did) I could see them putting their chips all on the table and going for it.

On the other hand, Paea seems like a safe pick at #12 and a guy who fits in perfectly with what Frazier wants and needs on defense.

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Fair enough, you can get the Paea credit if it ends up happening. :p

Mallet is a tough call, because in terms of talent there's no question he'd be a great fit at #12, but we don't really know what's going on behind closed-door interviews. If he convinces the Vikings brass he's not a large risk (like Percy Harvin did) I could see them putting their chips all on the table and going for it.

On the other hand, Paea seems like a safe pick at #12 and a guy who fits in perfectly with what Frazier wants and needs on defense.

Nah, I wouldn't take credit for it. I think great minds just think alike haha.

You did just bring up something that I had forgotten all about with Percy Harvin. It's really going to frustrate me even more, because there is no doubt that the Viking will take a QB early this year, and looking back on how the Percy Harvin situation unfolded, and how this Ryan Mallett situation is unfolding, I'm starting to see a trend. I know Frazier has been rather open about their plans on picking up a QB early, and to me it seems like one of those situations that the media is kind of blowing out of proportion. Heck, Dan Marino went through the same stuff when he was coming into the draft. All it is going to take is one team to pull the trigger, and I admit I don't know too much about the Vikings brass, but just looking back on how they picked up Percy Harvin, might be a strong indication that they are going to seriously contemplate taking Ryan Mallett.

Regardless, I think they might be better suited in trading down a few spots and grabbing Paea and then trading back up to take Mallet and kill 2 birds in 1 round!

Nalej
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Love Pats mock

Seasonticketholder
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Saints top need = DE. Cameron Heyward and Justin Houston are both on the board. I think one of those two would get the nod over Ayers.

txparkes49x
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Perfect Pick!

prock
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I think Paea might be a bit of a reach there, but it is a good fit.

T-RICH49
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Phil Taylor = love

wicket
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Saints top need = DE. Cameron Heyward and Justin Houston are both on the board. I think one of those two would get the nod over Ayers.

I wouldnt like houston but I have a huge issue with ayers, the only reason he had a shot at the first round was assuming he would blow up the combine, since he didnt only fail to do that but actually looked bad I would barely like ayers as a second rounder

SimonRath
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Im not entirely sold on Hankerson being a 1st round pick, but im not against it at all because there is no way he'd be there for us in the 2nd. Im kinda leaning toward taking Justin Houston there because I think he can be a beastly DE, but then again, not hating on Hankerson.

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Im not entirely sold on Hankerson being a 1st round pick, but im not against it at all because there is no way he'd be there for us in the 2nd. Im kinda leaning toward taking Justin Houston there because I think he can be a beastly DE, but then again, not hating on Hankerson.

I agree. I like Justin Houston a lot, but I felt that we have some solid depth at the DE position and unless one of the top DE's falls to us, I doubt we'll target it in the first round. I think we're going to see Torrey Smith, Jonathan Baldwin, and Leonard Hankerson get drafted between the late-1st round and the mid-2nd round which would leave us to grab on of the undersized speedy receivers in the 2nd if we wanted to go that route. I don't think that's what the Falcons want to do, seeing as they are still looking at Harry Douglas to be that quick guy over the middle, so I truly believe it's going to come down to a WR capable of playing opposite of Roddy White or an OT capable of filling Tyson Clabo's shoes if we decide to part ways with him. Of course, this is assuming a top DE does not manage to fall to us. But I do love Justin Houston.

Matthew Jones
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I think the Patriots would take Jordan or Heyward over Watt. Houston is possible but hasn't shown much in coverage.

DDP711
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Niners pick = wet dream!!!!

Master Exploder
03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I think the Patriots would take Jordan or Heyward over Watt. Houston is possible but hasn't shown much in coverage.

I disagree. I think J.J. Watt is a perfect fit, he is practically perfect as far as size goes in what New England looks for and he's pretty much better than Cameron Heyward in almost every catagory. Cameron Jordan is a tough one though. In my opinion he's one of the top 3 DE's for any scheme in this draft, but I just think that his smallish size will keep the Patriots at bay.

And I agree, Houston has not shown much in coverage... but there are only a handful of 3-4 OLB's that actually have in this draft. I don't think that will be as big of an issue as some are making it out to be.

OGDraft
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Sup Master Exploder, didn't know you posted here too lol. No complaints with the Falcons pick. I think thats who we ultimately go with on draft day even if may appear to be a "reach".

drd23
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Torrey Smith is not BPA at 26 IMO. He has questionable hands and isnt a great route runner. To top it off he had a pretty poor combine.

I'd rather take Houston or Reed there instead

Master Exploder
03-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Torrey Smith is not BPA at 26 IMO. He has questionable hands and isnt a great route runner. To top it off he had a pretty poor combine.

I'd rather take Houston or Reed there instead

Meh, maybe.

I think there's a better chance than you think there is of him being Baltimore's 1st pick of the draft this year. Also, I don't think he had a poor combine... people act like he did awful just because he did not run a 4.3 40...