PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Mock w/ Explanations

Chidi29
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Been working on my mock now. Before I begin the rest of the rounds, I wanted to get opinions on the first round to see if I royally screwed up somewhere. None of these picks are set in stone. Let me know what you think.

Below is a link to my rankings on a lot of the top players. They don't follow my mock to a "T" because some of my rankings are vastly different than the "normal" one but it helps to give you an idea of how I value certain players.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46123

1. Carolina Panthers - Marcell Dareus/DT Alabama: It was widely agreed upon that DT Nick Fairley would be occupying this spot. The key word being "was". The competition for the #1 is as wide open as ever. As much as a need for an upgrade at DE has been discussed, DT is an even bigger area of concern. The team does have Charles Johnson and George Selvie at DE. Drafting a DE such as Bowers isn't a need. Dareus is extremely strong with quick hands and can be flat out dominant at times. You know Dareus has also been coached well by Nick Saban. Dareus will be a cornerstone along the defensive line.

2. Denver Broncos - Nick Fairley/DT Auburn: Champ Bailey has re-signed with the team and coach John Fox has been singing the praises of Robert Ayers' chances of success at DE. That would lessen the chances, of course not eliminating, of the team selecting Bowers of CB Patrick Peterson. The team is switching back to a 4-3 after Josh McDaniels was let go and Fox brought in. Denver has little to offer along the interior defensive line. Fairley had a monster season after being a relative unknown prior. With a quick first step and the ability to dominate in the biggest games, such as the National Championship game, Fairley will be a welcomed addition.

3. Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson/CB LSU: Buffalo is a tough team to mock. An unpredictable bunch, as shown by their selection fo CJ Spiller last season despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Spiller was definitely more of a value pick than a need one. The same case happens here. The team does have McGee and McKelvin but Peterson is likely the best player available. Trying to stop a team like New England is going to require multiple skilled cornerbacks. Peterson fits the bill.

4. Cincinnatti Bengals - AJ Green/WR Georgia: Although there is a lot of turmoil at QB, there isn't a player worth drafting this high. Chad Ochocinco has taken digs at owner Mike Brown, indicating that we wants to play elsehwere. Jerome Simpson did come on strong last year, but it's a limited sample size for a player that was close to being named a bust before. Green is an athletic freak with great size, standing in at 6'4 211.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller/OLB Texas A&M: Arizona desperately needs to upgrade its pass rush and get younger at the position. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that Joey Porter played too much for his age in 2010 and Clark Haggans isn't a spring chicken either. Miller was a wreaking ball his junior and senior seasons, racking up 39 TFL and 27.5 TFL. He is the best OLB in this year's class. The team has an obvious void at QB but again, there simply isn't anyone worth taking that high.

6. Cleveland Browns - DaQuan Bowers/DE Clemson: The Browns will be switching to a 4-3 this season and could really use help improving its front four. Bowers could still go as high as number one. Getting him at six is a bargain. He isn't an elite pass rusher but a great athlete who excels in getting off blocks, playing the run, and wreaking havoc in general. He'll gave the Browns' pass rush the face lift that it needs.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Robert Quinn/OLB North Carolina: These past three picks exhibit the value that has been placed on having a top tier pass rusher in today's league. Ahmad Brooks and Manny Lawson aren't bad but aren't game-changing OLBs. Quinn can be as evident by his 19 TFL and 11 sacks two years ago. Having to sit out this past year hurt him but the ability he showed two years ago will be tough for any team to pass up.

8. Tennessee Titans - Julio Jones/WR Alabama: Now things get interesting. There isn't a "no-brainer" pick for the Titans based on the way the picks ahead turned out. One thing that can never be ignored in the draft, especially in the first round where you're givinig a bag of money to your pick, is value. Jones is the best player on the board. The team does have Kenny Britt but getting another tall, athletic monster in Jones would make it very difficult for defenses. Throw in Chris Johnson and the possible emergence of Jared Cook and you have the makings of a potent offense, even with Kerry Collins under center. It's just not worth reaching for a QB because you feel obligated to have a guy you can trot out as the face of the franchise.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara/CB Nebraska: This pick is a little easier to decide on. The Cowboys pass defense ranked 26th in the league with Mike Jenkins regressing and looking disintersted at times while Terrence Newman showed his age. Amukamara proved any critics wrong by running in the low 4.4s at the Combine.

10. Washington Redskins - Cam Newton/QB Auburn: This is a case where I could see this happening more than I personally believe in the idea. Donovan McNabb clearly hasn't worked out and he'll likely be with another team by the start of the 2011 season. Needless to say, the team is in search of a new QB. Newton is not my #1 QB, rather ranked third, but he fits the bill of what coach Mike Shanahan is looking for. A big, mobile quarterback with a strong arm. That's what he had in Denver with Elway and in drafting Jay Cutler.

11. Houston Texans - Brandon Harris/CB Miami (FL): Ideally, one of the top two corners would have fallen. Obviously not the case. Luckilly, it's a strong cornerback class. Harris is undersized but is extremely fluid and comes from a school that consistently churns out top defensive backs. Houston's secondary is a glaring need, being perhaps the worst in the league last season. It may be a bit higher than preferred, but Houston doesn't have a ton of options.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Blaine Gabbert/QB Missouri: Leslie Frazier has made it clear that getting a franchise QB is the team's top priority. Gabbert is not my top QB, far from it, but he will go high in the draft and is a good fit for the Vikings. Minnesota runs a West Coast and Gabbert has the mobility to be used on rollouts. More mobility than a prospect such as Ryan Mallett. Plus, Minnesota's offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave stated that he would run a "simple" offense, relatively speaking. That will make it easier for any college QB, especially one coming out of a simple spread like Gabbert.

13. Detriot Lions - Jimmy Smith/CB Colorado: Another team that needs a lot of help at cornerback. Lions' fans are still trying to forget that Alphonso Smith played on Thanksgiving. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham prefers big, physical cornerbacks. Smith certainly qualifies and had a dominant career at Colorado to the point where teams stopped throwing at him. His character corners do raise red flags, reason being he's the fourth cornerback off the board.

14. St. Louis Rams - Cameron Jordan/DE California: The Rams are fortunate to be looking for a defensive lineman in such a strong class. Jordan will line up opposite of Chris Long, who finally turned it on this year. Jordan is strong against the run and uses his long arms to disengaged from lineman. This helps him against the run and off the edge.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram/RB Alabama: A pretty vanilla pick here. It has widely been speculated that the Dolphins will pick Ingram. It is possible Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown aren't with Miami in 2011, leaving the team with a vacancy in a run-oriented offense. Ingram has good size and the best balance in his class. He won't blow anyone away with his speed, but his ability to stay on his feet is very impressive. He'll give the Dolphins a workhorse at running back.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - JJ Watt/DE Wisconsin: I'm not entirely happy with this pick but Watt is good value. While the team has a poor track record with selecting defensive lineman early, Watt is a strong prospect. Excellent size and a lot more explosive than you'd think. Aaron Kampman is coming off a torn ACL and the Jags haven't had a solid pass rush in awhile. The secondary is also a need but there aren't any good enough options on the board to warrant going in that direction.

17. New England Patriots - Tyron Smith/OT USC: New England is always a tough team to figure out because they rarely have glaring needs. Of course, that opens up the options on the draft board. Tackle isn't a need here, but it's difficult to pass up a player of Smith's caliber. Getting him at #17 is a steal. Smith bulked up for the Combine, weighing in at 307, and fares well in space. His run blocking is a lot better than you'd think; Smith shows good leverage and leg drive. Matt Light is 32 years old and currently set to hit the free agent market.

18. San Diego Chargers - Gabe Carimi/OT Wisconsin: After no tackle was taken within the first sixteen picks, two come off back-to-back. Carimi is capable of playing left tackle although he will be used on the right side with the Chargers, a position that has been in flux. The former Badger is a mauler in the run game and does a great job of getting to and engaging at the second level. He'll be a big upgrade in the run and pass game.

19. New York Giants - Mike Pouncey/OG Florida: It's tough not to be upset if you're the Giants. It seemed like one of the top two tackles would fall but neither did. New York's line is finally falling apart after being one of the most consistent and experienced across the board. Players such as Shaun O'Hara and Kareem McKenzie are starting to break down. Pouncey will likely play RG in the NFL though has some center versatility if he can consistently get off a proper snap. A big boost to the o-line.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aldon Smith/DE Missouri: Tampa Bay was tied next to last in sacks with a paltry 26. It's a testament to how deep this defensive line class when the #7 DE is going in the top 20. Smith is raw and needs to get better against the run but he fires of the ball consistently and can come in early as a situational pass rusher. After spending a first round pick on a DT last year, the Bucs go with a defensive end.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Kerrigan/OLB Purdue: Tamba Hali was a monster last year and may be one of the most underrated players in the league after having 15+ sacks. Too bad there's no one opposite of him. Kerrigan isn't an overly flashy player but an ultra-productive one with a non-stop motor. That mentality seems to be commong at Purdue with past players like Mike Neal having similar reports. Kerrigan will give the Chiefs a dual threat at OLB.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder/OT Colorado: It's amazing how little attention the Colts' line has received in the past few seasons. It hasn't been the same since Tarik Glenn retired. Solder will bridge that gap on Peyton's blindside. Solder is a huge body that moves very well, a former tight end. Indy definitely needs to get some talent along the offensive line.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Akeem Ayers/OLB UCLA: The Eagles' linebacker core has been a mess the past two years due to injuries and poor play. Ayers is a dual threat with the ability to rush the pass and drop into coverage. The Eagles don't have a lot of needs and Ayers is also solid value.

24. New Orleans Saints - Justin Houston/DE Georgia: Houston showed that he is looking to play defensive end at the next level, weighing in at 270 pounds at the Combine. Will Smith is quickly getting older and will slow down. The team upgraded its interior line by signing Shaun Rogers and know focuses its attention on defensive end.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Mallett/QB Arkansas: Mallett may not be the ideal fit for the team but it's hard to pass up on a guy of his talent and my #1 QB on the board. Matt Hasselbeck is well into his 30s and has been dealing with back issues. Charlie Whitehurst did not look good last season. Mallett gives them a franchise QB.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Torrey Smith/WR Maryland: It's no secret the team needs to have a vertical threat at WR. Smith ran a 4.43 at the Combine. Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin are quality possession receivers but neither are going to stretch the field. Smith will open up Baltimore's offense.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Corey Liguet/DT Illinois: Defensive tackle isn't the biggest need but Liguet is good value. Peria Jerry still has potential but a torn ACL has set him back. Liguet had a strong junior year and will give them an explosive tackle on the interior. Cornerback is less of a need with the storng play of Brent Grimes.

28. New England Patriots - Jonathan Baldwin/WR Pittsburgh: Without a lot of needs, the team can look at the best players and the ones that offer the highest upside. I have questions about Baldwin's ability to succeed at the next level; I can't help but think he'll have trouble getting separation after catching a lot of jump balls in college, but his triangle numbers are off the charts. A high reward pick for New England.

29. Chicago Bears - Rodney Hudson/OG Florida St: If Hudson was a few inches taller and a little bit heavier, he'd be the best guard prospect to come out in years. His poor agility numbers at the Combine after a weight gain is a bit concerning but if he drops back down to 290, he'll be a great guard. His supreme athletic ability is unmatched in this year's guard class.

30. New York Jets - Stephen Paea/DT Oregon St: Kris Jenkins was finally let go after back to back years cut short by major injuries. Paea's torn meniscus dropped his stock but he stole the show at the bench press by lifting 225 a record 49 times. That strength carries over to the game as Paea was routinely doubled and triple-teamed all the while still putting up good numbers.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova: Ijalana will be making a position switch, from LT to RG, but he has to move inside at the next level. After doing that, he could excel at guard. He has top notch upper body strength and while he played at the FCS level, he dominanted against the top competition there. The Steelers biggest weakness along the offensive line is right guard.

32. Green Bay Packers - Cameron Heyward/DE Ohio St: Not a lot of flaws for the defending champs. The team is likely to lose Cullen Jenkins, its best defensive end. Heyward has good bloodlines, his father playing in the NFL, and is an underrated pass rusher while strong against the run. A fine addition as the last pick of the 1st round.

thebow305
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Great Miami pick

49erNation85
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
nice SF pick!

Chidi29
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys.

Don Vito
03-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Tyron Smith and Jonathan Baldwin probably would not ever happen for the Pats and I hope it doesn't, at least not in the first round. Aldon Smith or Gabe Carimi at 17 and Cam Heyward at 28 would be better.

Nalej
03-08-2011, 08:03 AM
^^^ Agree except I'd like a 1st round of Kerrigan/Houston and C.Heyward

Seasonticketholder
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Good pick for the Saints. You can make a case for Cameron Heyward but I would not be upset with Houston being the pick.

GoRavens
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo torreyyyyyyyyyy smithhhhhhhhhh in theeeeeee firstttttttttttttt rouuuuuuuund

BallerT1215
03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't be upset with PPETER but i just feel like we cant go CB at #3

T-RICH49
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
LOVE Kerrigan.great pick

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Wouldn't be upset with PPETER but i just feel like we cant go CB at #3

It seems that Buffalo always go against the grain. Peterson would be at the top of the boards from a talent perspective so it makes sense in that regard.

No one thought you'd guys go with a RB last year either. Buffalo always mixes things up.

prock
03-08-2011, 05:05 PM
I dig Gabbert.

STsACE
03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice Browns pick.

You mentioned doing more rounds.

Please, if you give us a 2nd round WR, it has to be somebody who is explosive and dangerous after the catch. RT and DT are also huge needs, so I wouldn't be offended if you could fill those either.

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Nice Browns pick.

You mentioned doing more rounds.

Please, if you give us a 2nd round WR, it has to be somebody who is explosive and dangerous after the catch. RT and DT are also huge needs, so I wouldn't be offended if you could fill those either.

Yes, I'll be doing all seven rounds.

I totally agree about getting a playmaker. That's something you guys sorely need. I wouldn't want Porkchop and St. Clair on the right side of my line either.

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I dig Gabbert.

That's cool. I know a lot of people do. You're entitled to your own opinion. I just happen to disagree.

Dunta_23
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't think the Texans pick is good at all...They wont be picking a CB unless one of the top 2 fall...They will be taking an OLB or a DE

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't think the Texans pick is good at all...They wont be picking a CB unless one of the top 2 fall...They will be taking an OLB or a DE

Aldon Smith is a little high IMO. I actually think they'll be ok at DE with Mario and Antonio Smith, who they have a lot of money invested in and is strong against the run.

vidae
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Great KC pick. Perfect scenario.

BaLLiN
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
19. New York Giants - Mike Pouncey/OG Florida: It's tough not to be upset if you're the Giants. It seemed like one of the top two tackles would fall but neither did. New York's line is finally falling apart after being one of the most consistent and experienced across the board. Players such as Shaun O'Hara and Kareem McKenzie are starting to break down. Pouncey will likely play RG in the NFL though has some center versatility if he can consistently get off a proper snap. A big boost to the o-line.

PERFECT!!!! Lets replace the best player on our offensive line, possibly the best RG in the NFC, instead of O/D tackle or LB, you've really opened my eyes.

Go_Eagles77
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Not a good eagles pick. Since you don't have Anthony Castanzo going in the 1st, he would be a good choice.