PDA

View Full Version : What Wrong with Taylor Potts?

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Brandon Weeden and Robert Griffin were 1st and 2nd team all Big 12 respectively,but Texas Tech senior Taylor Potts had an outstanding season for the Raiders, throwing for over 3700 yards, 35 TDs/10 INTs.

He didn't have a signature win last season, losing to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas A&M, but he did outplay Gabbert in a win against Mizzou.

Physically he wasn't the typical TT QB, standing 6'5, 222#. Solid arm, great accuracy in virtually the SAME spread passing offense run by Missouri.

Played flawlessly in bowl win against Northwestern.

Not invited to the combine. Not invited to the Shrine game or the Senior bowl.
He played in that Texas vs. the Nation exhibition and looked good (offensive player of the game) and has a pro day at TT on the 11th of March.

Potts is beyond not on anyone's draft radar, he's M.I.A. being held captive in a Vietnamese bamboo cage in a swamp somewhere in Abilene.

Right now he looks like an UDFA, my question is, WHY??

IMO there's a stigma against TT QBs because not one has busted a grape in the NFL.
Doesn't matter what your physical tools are, or how productive you were. In the minds of NFL GMs, Texas Tech QBs = won't do **** in the pros.

There's a huge blind spot when it comes to this kid, to the point that it seems folks haven't even bothered to evaluate him.

Nathan Enderle, Pat Devlin, TJ Yates, Jerrod Johnson and Scott Tolzien are ALL regarded as better pro prospects than Taylor Potts??

As of right now, he's the front runner for the Tony Romo/Kurt Warner/Tom Brady Award for the most underrated QB prospect in this draft.

The only real negative I can imagine with Potts is arm strength, except his arm strength is solid, somewhere in that Matt Ryan range.

Here's hoping the 'invisible man' takes a big deuce on the entire scouting process and makes an NFL team in 2011.

jth1331
03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Because Potts was outplayed by Steven Sheffield in 2009 maybe?
Also, Texas Tech thrives on screens, screens and more screens. Potts ypa was 6.76, very low which backs this up.
Hard to get a read on a QB when he throws that much short.
Now, for his play in big games last year.
vs. Texas, 21-35 60%, 158 yards 1 TD and 2 INT's. A meager 4.51 ypa
vs. OK ST, 28-43 65.1%, 226 yards(5.26 YPA), 1 TD 0 INT's
vs. A&M, 23-37 62%, 227 yards(6.14 YPA), 1 TD 0 INT's
vs OU, 18-36, 50 % 136 yards(3.78 ypa), 0 TD's and 2 INT's

His completion % is inflated due to the very high success rate of completing the short passes.

I think he's a late round prospect, like 6th round because he does have some decent measurables, Correct me if I'm wrong though, but doesn't he also have some character concerns?

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Also, Texas Tech thrives on screens, screens and more screens. Potts ypa was 6.76, very low which backs this up.

His completion % is inflated due to the very high success rate of completing the short passes.

I think he's a late round prospect, like 6th round because he does have some decent measurables, Correct me if I'm wrong though, but doesn't he also have some character concerns?

Can't imagine they could be any worse than the other QBs in this draft.

The spread offense Texas, Mizzou and TT run is predicated on completing quick-hitting, shorter to intermediate passes.

It's just odd to me that it's Gawd awful for Potts because apparently HIS production means nothing because of the scheme, but it's a non issue for other prospects like Devlin and Gabbert.

Also, I think beating a 10-2 Mizzou team counts as a big win, but against the traditional big powers in the Big 12, he couldn't elevate his game enough.

Again, if you can play, where you're drafted doesn't matter, but when you consider ALL the QBs who've been talked about recently, it's hard to see how a guy like Potts with his measurables is a big zero for most draft analysts.

Potts is a guy I've seen described as a bad fit for the spread because he's more a downfield passer, but he still was productive the last two years.

Curious to see who picks him up.

BTW, Sheffield I wouldn't say outplayed Potts in 2009. He was Potts backup, and performed OK in spot duty.

ElectricEye
03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Until one of them proves me wrong, I'm not touching a Texas Tech QB with a 10 foot pole. Plug'n play system. Sheffield was as good, if not better than Potts in spots last year and isn't any kind of NFL prospect. Really bad numbers against good competition as mentioned earlier too. Graham Harrell was a much better prospect a few years ago IMO.

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
All true, but production aside, Potts IMO has NFL tools; better measurables than Harrell, 6'5, @230# with a decent arm.

Anyone else watch Texas vs. the Nation??

Potts was among a handful of the better players in that game.

Funny that a Pats fan is so negative on TT QB prospects, because I could see Belichick kicking the tires on Potts, if there's any kind of TC or preseason this season, to see if the kid has upside.

RealityCheck
03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
As of right now, he's the front runner for the Tony Romo/Kurt Warner/Tom Brady Award for the most underrated QB prospect in this draft.
I thought this award was retired when Chase Holbrook won it in 2008.

Big Bird
03-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I thought this award was retired when Chase Holbrook won it in 2008.
Holbrook is a great example of a guy who had good size but was in a system, and people didn't actually watch him and went "He's got a great arm! Forget about the system! He's 6-5 230+!!!"

Watch the tape people. Potts can't throw the ball deep whatsoever. He's a 3rd stringer at the next level.

TNPatsFan
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Funny that a Pats fan is so negative on TT QB prospects, because I could see Belichick kicking the tires on Potts, if there's any kind of TC or preseason this season, to see if the kid has upside.

Belichick already went there with Kliff Kingsbury. Maybe he doesn't want to go back. Although IIRC Kliff didn't look that bad while he was with the team.

OaklandRaider56
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM

What character concerns are you referring to, exactly?
Potts didn't run the system as well as Harrell but he also didn't have near the talent around him. The only problems with Potts are his tendencies to float the deep ball up and slow feet in the pocket. His straight line speed isn't horrible, but he doesn't move quickly in the pocket. Potts has very good measurable's, intangibles, and his intermediate passing is superb. I think a team like the Colts should take a chance on Potts late, he could be one of the leagues best backups and possibly an eventual starter.

descendency
03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
but he did outplay Gabbert in a win against Mizzou.

He should be the #1 pick!!!

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
He should be the #1 pick!!!

You said that, descendency, not I.

TT wasn't a good defensive team last year. Mizzou was the better team to a man, so I give him credit for outplaying arguably the top QB prospect in the draft.

It's sad to read on the interwebz on multiple sites that because Potts played for TTech, he probably won't be drafted, no matter how he looks as a prospect.

Grizzlegom
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I've been on board Potts for a while now. He's the one guy in the late rounds that I think could develop into a starter. He's got a bigger arm than any of those other Texas Tech QBs, but its still only average. He's got the size you want, good athleticism. He was the best QB at the Texas vs. the Nation (NFLPA) game this year but that's not saying a whole lot as his only competition there was Josh Portis who is more athlete than QB at this point. Obviously his numbers are good, was a big-time recruit out of high school. Inconsistency has plagued him throughout his career though.

Overall, I like Potts to go to a team that has an established starter and is looking for a high-upside backup. He's got the tools you need, just have to teach him how to take snaps from center and go through progressions. He also isn't as elusive in the pocket as he should be when you see his raw athleticism. I've got him as a 5th rounder on my board but anything more is a stretch.

descendency
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
You said that, descendency, not I.

TT wasn't a good defensive team last year. Mizzou was the better team to a man, so I give him credit for outplaying arguably the top QB prospect in the draft.

It's sad to read on the interwebz on multiple sites that because Potts played for TTech, he probably won't be drafted, no matter how he looks as a prospect.

I was just laughing at Blaine Gabbert again. But yea, every NFL exec is scared to draft a TT player now.

jth1331
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Can't imagine they could be any worse than the other QBs in this draft.

The spread offense Texas, Mizzou and TT run is predicated on completing quick-hitting, shorter to intermediate passes.

It's just odd to me that it's Gawd awful for Potts because apparently HIS production means nothing because of the scheme, but it's a non issue for other prospects like Devlin and Gabbert.

Also, I think beating a 10-2 Mizzou team counts as a big win, but against the traditional big powers in the Big 12, he couldn't elevate his game enough.

Again, if you can play, where you're drafted doesn't matter, but when you consider ALL the QBs who've been talked about recently, it's hard to see how a guy like Potts with his measurables is a big zero for most draft analysts.

Potts is a guy I've seen described as a bad fit for the spread because he's more a downfield passer, but he still was productive the last two years.

Curious to see who picks him up.

BTW, Sheffield I wouldn't say outplayed Potts in 2009. He was Potts backup, and performed OK in spot duty.

Texas Tech's scheme is vastly different than any other spread offense to compare IMO. I watched Tech play OU and know their offense is predicated on throwing a 2 yard pass and hoping the screen blockers pick up the defenders to turn that 2 yards into 12 yards or more.
Potts lived that way at Tech.

Potts 2009:
309-470, 65.7%, 3,440 yards 22 TD's and 13 INT's

Sheffield 2009:
101-136, 74.3%, 1,219 yards, 14 TD's and 4 INT's

What character concerns are you referring to, exactly?

It could be something that I don't know fully, but I thought he had issues at Tech with the whole him and Sheffield thing and not getting along with the new coach or something.

cajuncorey
03-09-2011, 05:07 PM
College football stats make you a good NFL quarterback

regards,
Colt Brennen, Graham Harrell and Timmy Chiang

RealityCheck
03-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Holbrook is a great example of a guy who had good size but was in a system, and people didn't actually watch him and went "He's got a great arm! Forget about the system! He's 6-5 230+!!!"

Watch the tape people. Potts can't throw the ball deep whatsoever. He's a 3rd stringer at the next level.
Holbrook didn't even took the field on preseason. That's how underrated he was. He had good size and an hell of an arm. Too bad they didn't even give him a shot.

Brent
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Taylor Potts wasn't even that great of a college QB.

What's wrong with him? He's not good enough.

OaklandRaider56
03-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Stephen McGee was garbage and he got drafted in the fourth.