PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Guide Magazines

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I am looking to purchase a Draft Guide, but do not know which guide will have the best coverage. Could you please list the best Draft Guide magazines available for purchase & where can I get it at. Prices too if you know by hand.
Thank you all,

brasho
03-09-2011, 12:30 PM
My favorite has always been the Profootballweekly one. It is by far the most expensive, but it is also the most thorough...and doesn't have a load of bad measurement and workout numbers in it like the ones that are on the stands now.

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
My favorite has always been the Profootballweekly one. It is by far the most expensive, but it is also the most thorough...and doesn't have a load of bad measurement and workout numbers in it like the ones that are on the stands now.

Approx. how much & where can I get it.

EDIT* Not looking to spend more then $20.00

A Perfect Score
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Why buy a draft guide, you can get all the information you need from Scott or on the forums!

yourfavestoner
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't buy a draft guide. They release before the combine so all of the information isn't even current. The measurables they list are an educated guess and the scouting reports are pretty vague and basic.

Halsey
03-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The best Draft guide is the internetz.

M.O.T.H.
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I think the last one I bought was back in Ware's draft class. All the info was out of date because, as some said, it was written before the combine. Ware was about a 4th round projection at that point.

I mean they can be good reads...but a great deal of the info will be off in a lot of them.

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Don't buy a draft guide. They release before the combine so all of the information isn't even current. The measurables they list are an educated guess and the scouting reports are pretty vague and basic.

I think the last one I bought was back in Ware's draft class. All the info was out of date because, as some said, it was written before the combine. Ware was about a 4th round projection at that point.

I mean they can be good reads...but a great deal of the info will be off in a lot of them.

Thanks, but do they release any post guides after the combine?

bigbluedefense
03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

I enjoy them. They come in handy once you hit the middle rounds of the draft.

I also like keeping them and looking back at what people thought of different prospects coming out.

I'm a draft dork. I got NFL Network going on the TV, ESPN going on the slingbox, and my draft guide and the internetz for more thorough reports of who we drafted.

It's a 3 day hibernation for me.

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I enjoy them. They come in handy once you hit the middle rounds of the draft.

I also like keeping them and looking back at what people thought of different prospects coming out.

I'm a draft dork. I got NFL Network going on the TV, ESPN going on the slingbox, and my draft guide and the internetz for more thorough reports of who we drafted.

It's a 3 day hibernation for me.

Which guide do you purchase?

Iamcanadian
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
You'll get a lot better information on the internet but if you want something for your throne room, then a draft guide is nice but don't expect a whole lot from them.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Which guide do you purchase?

The last one I purchased was Pro Football.

I change it up every year. Just go to Barnes and Nobles and check all of them out. Skim them, see which one has the most thorough content, and go with that one.

That's what I do. I remember one year I went with ESPN bc their content was the best.

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 02:05 PM
The last one I purchased was Pro Football.

I change it up every year. Just go to Barnes and Nobles and check all of them out. Skim them, see which one has the most thorough content, and go with that one.

That's what I do. I remember one year I went with ESPN bc their content was the best.

ESPN is no longer putting out Draft Guides, I been called about that. I loved the issues they had put out. I wonder why they stopped them.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
ESPN is no longer putting out Draft Guides, I been called about that. I loved the issues they had put out.

No wonder I can't find them. I loved their draft guides.

shylo3716
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
No wonder I can't find them. I loved their draft guides.

If I'm correct they only put out the '06 & '07 issues.

ericzedwards
03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Pro Football Weekly puts out a "Draft Guide" for $7.99 and a "Draft Preview" for $19.95. The Draft Guide is just a magazine like all of the other publications and isn't too reliable. The Draft Preview, however, is a book-sized publication. And it is actually compiled and published very quickly after the combine. It has all of the combine-accurate 40 times and heights and weights. I buy it every year, and it has so many prospects in it that I think it's a great coffee-table resource for some mid-draft scouting on players you don't know too well. there's not many pictures, but there are very long breakdowns of each player, including interesting personal tidbits about them. Definitely worth the 20 bucks. You can buy it from PFW's online store.

niel89
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I always enjoy Mel Kipers publication. Its about $28 but I like it.

http://www.melkiper.com/pub.html

ElectricEye
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
You'll get a lot better information on the internet but if you want something for your throne room, then a draft guide is nice but don't expect a whole lot from them.

Bingo. Great for the toilet, but that's where they belong ultimately.

J-Mike88
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I think the last one I bought was back in Ware's draft class. All the info was out of date because, as some said, it was written before the combine.
I have one from that year too, The Sporting News, and to be fair, they had Rodgers rated #1 overall and broke down him versus Alex Smith and gave the overwhelming edge to Rodgers.

They didn't get fooled by the overrated measurables at the combine.

bored of education
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
i am your walking draft guide, you have a hot sister..then i can be purchased for free

Thread Killer
03-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Lindy's puts out a nice one, but Pro Football Weekly is the best, IMO. The rest are to be ignored.

DeathbyStat
03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
ESPN is no longer putting out Draft Guides, I been called about that. I loved the issues they had put out. I wonder why they stopped them.

I swear people have this conversation every year

brasho
03-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Approx. how much & where can I get it.

EDIT* Not looking to spend more then $20.00

It is usually $19.95 and in a book format. It's pretty nice, I still have all of mine from the last 10-15 years or so.

Wrathman
03-11-2011, 02:27 AM
I like the draft guides and sift through them every year to find one or two that I like. All you're missing from them is the combine measurements and we all know that if you are making major adjustments to the order of your prospects after watching the combine, you're in the wrong business.

Benton
03-13-2011, 11:02 PM
http://www.lindyssports.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/1a202f17a25d8e8.jpg
This guide is good one!

CashmoneyDrew
03-13-2011, 11:34 PM
My dad's big into the draft as well but he doesn't use the Internet so he has like 4 of these. I've perused them all and they're not very good. I can't believe ESPN quit making theirs so suddenly. It was easily the best.

brat316
03-13-2011, 11:50 PM
http://www.lindyssports.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/1a202f17a25d8e8.jpg
This guide is good one!

I bought this, good stuff just to read and pass time but its not good. They mention basic things, not to much in depth stuff. Mock and numbers are off thats what happens when you put it out before the superbowl.